Menu

Poll: Minivan Choices

We are on the verge of buying a new (to us) minivan. We cannot buy new, but we are looking to buy used, but newish (not more than four years old). If you had to choose between the choices above, which would you choose and why?

We are, of course, doing research, but who better to ask than a bunch of awesome moms!? :) Thanks for your help. This is a *big* deal to us and we appreciate any thoughts or comments any of you may share. :)

I can't remember what the Kia van name. We had a Honda Odyssey for 7 years but it began to have quite a few quirky electrical problems that began to multiply over the years. It also went through front brakes pretty quickly (heavy van = new brakes often, told to us by Honda).

My dh started looking around and found the Hyundai/Kia vans to be highly rated in consumer satisfaction and safety. The price was affordable and we were able to buy new. If we had gone with another Honda we would have had to buy used or lease to make in within our price range.

I've been driving my Hyundai for almost 5 months now and I'm very impressed with how it handles and the features it came with.

We have owned two Dodge (same company as Chrysler, I think) vans in the past. Both started having transmission trouble in the first 2-3 years. We vowed never to buy a Dodge van again.

HTH,

Christi

a toyota sienna and love it! It is very roomy inside, high safety rating, windows on the sliding doors roll down, and it comes w/ a spare tire. The hew honda's don't.

However, they are pricey. Our old van was a dodge grand caravan. A 1991. Never had any repair bills, other than really minor stuff. Very reliable. Fwiw, I like the dodge much better than Chrysler. Basically the same car, but for some reason we always had more problems w/ chryslers, not so w/ dodges.

hth

We went with a used Honda Odyssey but I will tell you that although it was Honda certified- we discovered (through a leaking windshield that wasn't fixed even when replaced by the dealership) that ours had been in an accident. It was not on the CarFax Report and I believe that the dealership was not trying to hide it- they just didn't really do any significant inspection when they stamped it Honda certified. The corporate office stood behind us b/c the VIN was not stamped on the front fender and the alignment was off, and of course the windshield leaked no matter how many times they replace it. My husband made the discovery after lots of frustration- he gave the car a very careful once over and came to the conclusion that the car had been wrecked. The dealership didn't really deny the problem but they didn't really care to fix the problem either. Once the corporate office became involved we were given the option to buy new. That said, we now own a new (at that time) Honda Odyssey and it is a wonderful car. We didn't want the new price tag but since we had already made the trade and we had kid #3- we were "forced" into accepting the new one. Anyway, this could happen now matter which van you pick, if it is used- so make sure that you know the dealer. The Honda is so much easier to travel in and it rarely needs a repair- although it gets expensive when it does need work... We are very pleased with the Odyssey and recommend it highly.

Sorry for the long reply but if it saves someone the heartache and frustration- it is worth it.

Susan

We bought a used Nissan Quest in January and we love it! My 6'4" dh can fit comfortably in any seat, including the back, and he has plenty of head room. There is lots of cargo room and there are even hooks across the back of the back seat to hang grocery bags. The engine is powerful and runs quietly. Cupholders and storage cubbies abound!

We did not consider an Odyssey because 2 of my sisters have had body problems with theirs even though they were purchased new. Even after Honda repaired my oldest sister's van, it still wasn't right.

We are on the verge of buying a new (to us) minivan. We cannot buy new, but we are looking to buy used, but newish (not more than four years old). If you had to choose between the choices above, which would you choose and why?

We are, of course, doing research, but who better to ask than a bunch of awesome moms!? :) Thanks for your help. This is a *big* deal to us and we appreciate any thoughts or comments any of you may share. :)

Used Hondas are VERY overpriced because Honda does not sell to fleets--like car rental places, etc. I strongly recommend avoiding used Hondas for that reason--you get a lot less for your $. Also, Siennas were much nicer than Hondas four years ago.

We have a 2006 Kia Sedona. It was so much less expensive than the Honda Odyssey or the Toyota Sienna. We liked getting a newer vehicle with less mileage. Dh is crazy when it comes to car researching. He researched for about 6-9 months before buying and had spreadsheets comparing all sorts of items...and the Kia was the winner.

We have had it for a year and really like it.

The only downside is that it doesn't have a name that holds value. The car itself is great but for resale most people want Hondas or Toyotas. For us this is fine, because we tend to drive our cars for a long time until they are basically not resellable. We're not expecting to get much for it, but probably wouldn't get much for anything we had so this was not an issue for us. I could see if you plan on reselling in the next few years where this might be a bigger issue.

if we were in the market for a new van we would buy whichever one came to market first with a hybrid. We keep assuming it will be the toyota, but can't figure out what is taking them so long. (And what's up with Chevy bringing a hybrid TAHOE! to market, but no minivan??? Sorry, slight vent here! - I would think making a hybrid minivan would be a no-brainer!)

We have a 2005 Honda Touring with 71,000 miles on it (because i just looked tonight! LOL!!).

There hasn't been anything done to it except new tires, brakes and routine service.

I hate the gas mileage - my town driving is more highway-like, so i can average 20mpg or so. UGH.

That said, gee, now i'm trying to think - i don't think i DO have a spare tire. BUT, we have the run flat tires and we aren't supposed to need one. That is only on the Touring Model i believe. And i could be wrong - i could have a spare..... i've not needed it nor the run flat feature.

My parents just bought the 2008 Touring and i like some of the new "things" - and miss a couple they took away (like the cup holders on the captains seats. I really miss these - the ones in the door aren't big enough).

That said..... i wish i could morph it into a Civic hybrid. I dream of 40mpg at night :D

if we were in the market for a new van we would buy whichever one came to market first with a hybrid. We keep assuming it will be the toyota, but can't figure out what is taking them so long. (And what's up with Chevy bringing a hybrid TAHOE! to market, but no minivan??? Sorry, slight vent here! - I would think making a hybrid minivan would be a no-brainer!)

DH had a diesel engine magazine last month and supposedly Honda is working on a diesel hybrid. It was slated for the not toooo distant future, but not soon enough.

I'm guessing the main issue is the weight - the current odyssey is about 800 pounds lighter than a suburban! (or it was in 2005). That is pretty heavy for a hybrid. The Sienna is probably just as close in weight.

And ya, what IS up with Chevy????? They'd have a huge money maker on their hands dropping that engine into a van!!

We're in the market for a new vehicle, so I've been looking at this kind of thing.

Currently, we have a 7 passenger, 1999 Toyota Sienna. I like it fine. We've had very few problems with it. It has 180+K miles on it and only needs to have the valve cover gaskets replaced.

If I were in the market for another 7 passenger vehicle, I would purchase the Honda Odyssey. It has a better safety rating than the Sienna and gets better real time gas mileage than the Kia/Hyundai. The new Dodge/Chrysler van also has a great safety rating, better than the Sienna, but I don't know what tranny they are putting into it. If it's the same ol, same ol, I might look elsewhere.

There are several crossovers that are coming out right now that are getting gas mileage similar to the minivans and have good safety ratings. They include the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook and Ford Freestyle.. The Ford may have a new name.

If you are looking for a true 8 passenger minivan, I think your only option is the Sienna. The 8th seat in the Ody is very small. It's also small in the Sienna, but not as much. If I were going to purchase the Sienna, I would make sure to get the side airbags. 4 start on the one side is just not good enough when Kia, Honda, and Dodge are producing vans that are testing at 5 stars all the way around.

I'm watching this thread with interest! We have a 2000 Venture. It's been no problems, but I think we'll need to replace it within three years.

I love the idea of not spending much and going with the Kia. They were given the highest safety rating last year! But I love the idea of the Town and Country and the seats that can go backward (that was MY idea a few years ago, BTW!!!).

Good luck with your decision Kate!!

Honda wouldn't replace it free of charge. So, we are now on a mission to persuade people to *not* buy Honda! Fast forward to 2007--we bought a used 2005 8-seater Sienna (yes, every seat is now filled!) at about $22,000 and LOOOVVVVEEEE it! LIke it better than the Odyssey.

jeri

We bought it a year ago. It is still under warranty and will be for four more years I think. Gotta love that. We have the stow-and-go which is great. We can rearrange the cargo area for just about anything. We have hauled everything from five kids, to three cat carriers to furniture. We were prepared to buy new but apparently they quit making mini-vans for awhile. The demand for used was higher than the supply so it was hard to find one at all when we were looking last year. Good luck finding what you want.

We have a 2000 Odyssey with 137,000 trouble-free miles on it, as well as an 8 seat Sienna that we bought a year and a half ago, before we had our 6th baby. To be honest, I love both vans. We wouldn't have bought the Sienna if we hadn't run out of room in the Odyssey. We've been very pleased with our Ody. But I also love, love, love the Sienna. I don't think you can go wrong with either one!

Another vote for the Nissan Quest. We have an '06 and absolutely love it. Much nicer quality than our previous Grand Caravan, but much less expensive than either the Honda or the Toyota.

Lots of room, quiet ride -- I honestly can't think of anything I don't like about it (except for the ridiculous idea they had to put the speedometer nearly in the center of the dashboard so that you have to lean over to the right to see it, but they only did that for the '06 model).

Wonderful vehicle, and it doesn't get nearly enough credit!

It is an '06 that we bought used. It had less than 6,000 miles on it. I think we paid $20,000 for it. We only have 4 kids, so the extra seat that the Sienna has is not an issue for us. We had a Civic that we loved for 15 years, which is why we went with the Honda. We simply did not fit in the Civic anymore after #4 came along.

I know people who love their Siennas as much as I love my Odyssey. I don't think you could go wrong with either. My biggest problem with it is driving it around the speed limit. It has a lot of power, and I have a lead foot.

And this is a quirky thing with me... Both windshield wipers go in the same direction. I know on some minivans they somehow go in opposing directions. It freaks me out. I know that is weird, but there you have it. My MIL's windshield wipers do that, and I cannot drive her vehicle in the rain. I find it too distracting. She drives a Dodge Caravan.

We didn't have much to choose from when looking for a 15 Pasaanger monster-van!!

I hate the Ford's 15 passanger, so the only other 15 passanger we could fine was the Dodge Ram.

It took me quite a while to learn to park it, but I'm getting better!:driving:I haven't hit anything yet!

The kids call it "The Little Bus."

Funny thing: In Kindergarden we where asked what we wanted to be when we grow up:

I said I wanted to be a bus driver!....I never thought that would actually happen!:lol:

There are several crossovers that are coming out right now that are getting gas mileage similar to the minivans and have good safety ratings. They include the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook and Ford Freestyle.. The Ford may have a new name.

Ford did change the name of the Freestyle to the Taurus X - it seats 7 and gets 22-24 mpg.

We just had to purchase a minivan due to a man running a red light and smashing our Odyssey. After looking at all the options, we decided on the Kia. The safety rating is outstanding. Gas milage is toward the top of the class. You get a whole lot more van for your money. The warranty plan here is outstanding (a lifetime dealership). My brother has had a Kia, not a mini van though, for 10 years with absolutely no problems.

I had a concern about not being able to get all our stuff into the back. (We travel a lot.) I have been able to pack everything we got into the Odyssey plus a violin and a guitar. Absolutely unbelievable.

The one concern with the Kia is it not holding its value. I'm not concerned about that because we plan on keeping it until it dies. I also am of the opinion that Kia's are going to start holding value better. They seem to be becoming much more popular vehicles, at least around here. As they prove their stuff, the value ought to hold better.

We've had ours 6 years now and still love it. At the time we priced and drove all mini van options, Mazda had the best price and drives like a car instead of a truck. We will replace it with another when the time comes.

Sienna for 8 years over 100,000 miles and still going strong and the interior looks great. Every kids has their own spot away from the others with their own game charger thing and cubbie for their belongings. Very comfy for travel. But after 8 years I am just bored. The older boys don't come with us all the time like they use to so we are getting a new corolla soon.

I believe only the Touring Model Honda Odyssey has the drive flat tires. At least that was true in 2005 when I was shopping for a mini-van.

My Odyssey has a spare tire under the floor in front of the second row of seats.

Because the new ones don't! The new ones will have drive flat tires and an air pump- which doesn't help if you have a blowout! Come to think of it though, I first heard about this from a toyota salesperson....hmmm

My 2007 Odyssey has a real spare tire. I just went and looked. I think the Toyota salesman was mistaken.

I chose the Honda because I really wanted seating for 8 and leather seats. I couldn't get both in the Toyota.

I am happy with the Honda, except for the visibility. I really had to get used to that after driving my Subaru Outback for so many years. I don't know if that's an Odyssey thing, or just a mini-van thing. Also, I hate the self-locking doors. They drive me nuts.

Oh, and the Honda front wheel drive has poor traction on snowy hills. Not good. I considered the Toyota all-wheel drive for this reason. But, again, I couldn't get seating for 8 and all-wheel drive in the Toyota. So, I chose the seating (we only have a few really snowy days a year, but I need my seats all the time.)

We have a Mercury Villager and *LOVE* it...it is a 2001 and we have yet to run across any problems...she is a GEM! It is worth mentioning that the Villager is EXACTLY the same as the Toyota Sienna....only several thousands of dollars cheaper...LOL

Another vote for the Nissan Quest! We have the 2007 model. It is wonderful!!! My favorite feature is the the fold down flat seats in the middle and the back row. No more unlocking a seat when I need the extra room. Just push a button and the fold into the floor. They are super roomy!!!! Dh rides in the back with the kids sometimes for the movie watching (surround sound theater quality...LOTR sounds amazing) or to gaze out of the moon roofs (LOVE THOSE TOO) and has plenty of leg room. The driver and fron passenger seats are heated which is great when I am cramping or when it is way cold and the heat takes a bit to warm up. The two screens are great for the kids to watch movies on or play video games. I don't know if others have this but I love that they can watch a movie and I can listen to the radio, cd or my Ipod. Our dealer included enough wireless headsets for each child and a guest. It rides smoothly in both rain, snow and sunshine. The center console has a maintenance schedule and will remind you of oil changes and such. You can also see how much gas is left in your car based on miles and how gas efficient your driving the car. The leather seats are very soft, super comfortable and nice looking. After almost a year they still look brand new. The pedals are adjustable and this was a way important feature for this 4'10" gal! The driver's seat has memory so when dh drives I don't need to fidget with getting it back to my settings. I just push a button and the seat adjusts. He pushes another and it adjusts to his settings. Gotta love that! OH OH OH! And it has a rear view camera. I can not back out without that camera! It is great when in a crowded parking lot with big SUV's parked next to me. I can look in the screen and see if the path is clear for me to back out. I love the gps and the bluetooth features as well! Overall, we love this car. Can you tell?

HTH's in you decision

My 2007 Odyssey has a real spare tire. I just went and looked. I think the Toyota salesman was mistaken.

It's the Touring Model with the run-flats that is missing it.... but the salesmen would jump on that! LOL!!!

I chose the Honda because I really wanted seating for 8 and leather seats. I couldn't get both in the Toyota.

Leather. Has to be leather. DH talked me into cloth in 2002 on my Jetta. UGH. NEver again (he says the same after cleaning them to sell it! LOL!!)

I am happy with the Honda, except for the visibility. I really had to get used to that after driving my Subaru Outback for so many years. I don't know if that's an Odyssey thing, or just a mini-van thing. Also, I hate the self-locking doors. They drive me nuts.

There are some spots on the Ody that i'm not used to yet still. The 2nd row window shades drive me crazy to try to look thru at times. But it's a personal problem - i admit it! :D

But on the doors, you can change when they lock and unlock in the set-up thing. You sit there for forever with the manual in the driveway going thru it. I need to do it again - lost it when we killed our battery last summer.

For me, personally, it would be a Sienna because it is the only 8 pass that would actually fit my fam w/all our car seats ;) And has those extras I want like head rests and lap/shoulder belts in every position.

The Ody's 8th seat is considerably smaller, though it shares the other things I'd want.

I'd give a look at the newer Kia Sedona and the Hyundai Entourage though. I am not sure how 'old' the latest design on the Sedona is nor can I recall just how long the Entourage has been out now...if that fits into your 'used enough' budget.

I know it doesn't mine..well, we have NO budget for a vehicle at this time LOL But if we were to TRY to make something happen, we'd not even be able to do the '04 Sienna which is the earliest model with all my requirements.

I LOVE my Ford Freestar (so voted "other"). It has so many little conveniences that I wouldn't have thought to look for but totally appreciate - like the front cupholders are adjustable, plus have a rectangle part on one side perfect for juiceboxes or cell phone. It seems like it must have been designed by a team of moms, because I have never said "I just wish they would've...."

My ONLY complaint is that it's hard for adults to get into the third row when the second row is all the way back and holding two carseats. The second row does have the flip&slide-forward feature, but it doesn't work when the carseats are in. But once you get back there, we've had no problem putting 3 adults in the third row (friendly, but not smushed).

Plus (living in Michigan) it's important to me to buy an American car, though that's getting complicated now since other companies are building US factories and the big 3 are starting to manufacture overseas.

We bought a 2006 Honda Oddy brand new and haven't been impressed. There was some kind of recall or problem with the steering. They said they fixed it but when it gets really cold my car sounds awful. It sounds like I need to add steering fluid or something. When it is warm outside my van makes a high pitch whistling sounds, which is very annoying. Honda says they can't fix it because the problems are intermittent(sp?) and they have to see it themselves to know how to fix it.:glare:

We own two vans...bought them both used....a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan, 93,000+ miles and a 1994 Mercury Villager, 230,000+ miles. The Dodge is pretty good; plenty of room and not too many problems; it's a bit too big for me; an affordable van. The Mercury Villager is the same as a Nissan Quest and has a Nissan engine. It is a smaller van than the Dodge and I have loved it. They quit making it, but I would love to have another. We haven't had many problems with it during the 170,000+ miles that we have owned it. I see a lot of these vans still being driven.

We've had ours 6 years now and still love it. At the time we priced and drove all mini van options, Mazda had the best price and drives like a car instead of a truck. We will replace it with another when the time comes.

Our MPV is six years old also. Never had a problem with it.

Plus (living in Michigan) it's important to me to buy an American car, though that's getting complicated now since other companies are building US factories and the big 3 are starting to manufacture overseas.

It is getting more complicated. For instance, the Toyota Sienna has engine components made just three miles here from my house, and the floors are made about 40 miles from here. Actually, the plant my husband used to work for made floors for Honda, Toyota, (and GM). Many foreign automobiles provide jobs for Americans.

My Mazda MPV was mostly assembled here in the US, shipped to Japan for the engine and then shipped back here for sale. Crazy, huh?