Menu

Am I being overprotective?

My DD is a competitive gymnast and every year her gym does a Lock-in. The first year wasn't a problem because the level 3's weren't invited.

Last year they had an option for a 10pm pick up for those that didn't want their kids to stay up all night (which is the goal, there is no lights out). I still didn't let her go because I didn't want her to be one of the only ones that had to leave early and made fun of because of it. She has issues of being treated like an outcast already so I didn't want to add more fuel to the fire.

This year she is still having an issue of being an outcast, but I was willing to let her go until the 10 pm pick up time as I found there were actually quite a few picked up at that time. Well I just got the paperwork for the lock-in and there is no mid party pick up. It is just drop them off at 7pm, pick them up at 7am (which is more reasonable than last years 6am pick up). I don't want to let her go. I don't think she needs to be trying to say up all night in an environment that might have her getting picked on. My DH says I am sheltering her from life, and that if she wants to go we should let her. Of course she wants to go.

So what do you think? Am I being overprotective? Usually when I see these types of threads, I think the person is being overprotective, but it is different when it is your own child.

Do the other gymnasts treat her like an outcast? Does she want to go? If she does, maybe it would be a good opportunity for the other girls to see that she is no different from them. I'm sure as a level 3 gymnast she spends a good amount of time at the gym, so it seems the venue should be comfortable for both of you. I'm assuming the coaches will be there for her, should any issues arise.

Call and ask why the 10pm pickup option wasn't on the paperwork. Maybe it was just an oversight. And no, I don't think you're being overprotective.

While it may be fun, I don't think it is healthy to stay up all night. It weakens the immune system, and this is cold and flu season.

I guess I am thinking that if she wants to, maybe it's because she has friends and has fun there, and the picking on problem isn't as big a problem for her as you?

I'm not wild about sleep over things anyway, and if you said, "We just don't do sleepovers," I would think that was a perfectly fine reason not to let her go. But if you don't let her go because you are afraid she will be picked on but she is NOT afraid of that and your husband wants her to go, I would be more inclined to send her. I probably would send a cell phone with her, though. I don't care what anyone's policy is, if my kid calls and wants to come home, he's coming home.

I'm kind of surprised there's no quiet room. When I was a teenager, I did a lock-in at a YMCA or something with Girl Scouts and there was a pre-arranged dark/quiet room with sleeping bags for those who decided they just needed rest.

What are your concerns for her at this event?

Guest CarolineUK

Sorry, I've never heard of a 'lock-in', and may not completely understand what it is, but, assuming this is your 10 year old, I can only compare it to when my DS11 was 9 years old and had the opportunity to go on a week away with his new school (he'd been there a month when they went) to an outdoor pursuits centre. There were some truly nasty children on that trip, but DS was desperate to go. He survived, adored the activities, and made a couple of good, new friends. I'm sure you know, and will be told a million times, but there are many horrid people in the world, some of whom at some time or another will pick on DD, just trust that she can take it, may even grow from it. Does she have any good friends who are going too? That may help.

Your not being over-protective, I understand your feelings completely, but sometimes you just have to let go, and mostly things turn out just fine.

Have you talked to her directly about all of this?

I will admit to not being great at communicating with her yesterday. I'm not feeling great and was highly offended that my DH flat out called me overprotective. I just told her that her dad said she could go if she still wanted to.

I'm kind of surprised there's no quiet room. When I was a teenager, I did a lock-in at a YMCA or something with Girl Scouts and there was a pre-arranged dark/quiet room with sleeping bags for those who decided they just needed rest.

What are your concerns for her at this event?

Supposedly they leave a few of the floor mats in one of the corners for those that can't make it all night. These corners do have a separate light so it is dim over there.

My biggest concern for her is that she will get picked on and not be able to handle it. She tries to act tough, but she gets upset after practice.

Sorry, I've never heard of a 'lock-in', and may not completely understand what it is, but, assuming this is your 10 year old, I can only compare it to when my DS11 was 9 years old and had the opportunity to go on a week away with his new school (he'd been there a month when they went) to an outdoor pursuits centre. There were some truly nasty children on that trip, but DS was desperate to go. He survived, adored the activities, and made a couple of good, new friends. I'm sure you know, and will be told a million times, but there are many horrid people in the world, some of whom at some time or another will pick on DD, just trust that she can take it, may even grow from it. Does she have any good friends who are going too? That may help.

Your not being over-protective, I understand your feelings completely, but sometimes you just have to let go, and mostly things turn out just fine.

Unfortunately these girls are very cliche-ish and DD did not move up to the next level with most of her team. We just started the new season so we have a large mix of old level 3 (she is level 4 for a second year) and just a few old level 4 girls. DD was held back as a year of confidence building, not so much for a lack of skill. Because of this, she is routinely called on to be the example. The old level 4 girls say that she thinks she is better than them, and the new level 4 girls are friends with their old level 3 people. It took her 2 years to finally make a friend that would talk to her for more than one or two practices. Of course that girl made level 5 and now barely acknowledges DD on the day they are all there at the same time. It's just the way it is, but I feel bad for her that she can't find a good friend in the groups that she spends nearly 8 hours a week with.

I think lock ins (or whatever) are insane. I didn't let any of mine go. Why would you send your child to be locked in somewhere that she is (at the very least) considered an outcast? She could be bullied. And aside from that what else could go on? Doesn't take much imagination.

And btw, I don't believe in "they've got to experience nasty children sometime". Bull****. Why would you throw your baby to the wolves before she's old enough to defend herself?

Edited by Remudamom

I don't the issue is the lock in itself. I get the impression that you would let her if there wasn't the bullying. Have you talked to her about why she wants to go? Does she perhaps think that if she went to these things that the "in" girls would accept her? Have you talked to her about how she will feel if they pick on her or shun her for the night? Are there other kids that she could hang out with? Are there one or two special friends that would buffer her a bit from the bullying?

I guess I would be inclined to let her go if she wants to, but maybe leave her the option of calling you if things get uncomfortable for her. If you're okay with it, maybe she could tell a little white lie and say she's not feeling well??

:iagree:This seems very reassonable.

We had lock ins at our high school when I was a cheerleader. Honestly, some of the best times I had. A lot of laughs, bonding, etc. However, we were a close knit group and there was no bullying. I understand your hesitation. If she really wants to go, I would let her. With a way out....a cell, a "sick" excuse, etc. If she had a cell, maybe you could call to check in with her if she was hesitant to call you first.

She's 10... and yes, if my dd was 10 and wanted to go, despite the being picked on, and how I felt about it, I'd let her. She is at an age where she wants to begin to be more independent. A lock-in, IME, is a fairly secure environment. It gives her some space to be a girl with girls her own age, with whom she wants to hang out.

She may feel as if going will help her to bond with the girls -- and she may be right. She could be wrong, but if she is being treated horribly, she can tell the adult she is ill and ask if she can call you to go home (around 10pm).

FWIW, I did allow my son to attend his first "lock in" when he was 10. He was new to the Boy Scout troop. Didn't know anyone, and probably has more in common with the adults than the boys. He had a blast. This year, he worked with the Webelos on the video game belt loop. I wouldn't say he has any close friends in the BS troop, and he has been "picked on" -- but he handles the situations much better than I would (going all Mama Bear, of course).

I think lock ins (or whatever) are insane. I didn't let any of mine go. Why would you send your child to be locked in somewhere that she is (at the very least) considered an outcast? She could be bullied. And aside from that what else could go on? Doesn't take much imagination.

And btw, I don't believe in "they've got to experience nasty children sometime". Bull****. Why would you throw your baby to the wolves before she's old enough to defend herself?

Amen!

My DD is a competitive gymnast and every year her gym does a Lock-in. The first year wasn't a problem because the level 3's weren't invited.

Last year they had an option for a 10pm pick up for those that didn't want their kids to stay up all night (which is the goal, there is no lights out). I still didn't let her go because I didn't want her to be one of the only ones that had to leave early and made fun of because of it. She has issues of being treated like an outcast already so I didn't want to add more fuel to the fire.

This year she is still having an issue of being an outcast, but I was willing to let her go until the 10 pm pick up time as I found there were actually quite a few picked up at that time. Well I just got the paperwork for the lock-in and there is no mid party pick up. It is just drop them off at 7pm, pick them up at 7am (which is more reasonable than last years 6am pick up). I don't want to let her go. I don't think she needs to be trying to say up all night in an environment that might have her getting picked on. My DH says I am sheltering her from life, and that if she wants to go we should let her. Of course she wants to go.

So what do you think? Am I being overprotective? Usually when I see these types of threads, I think the person is being overprotective, but it is different when it is your own child.

No. No way would I allow that. I can see NO good reason for a lock in. It perpetuates the notion that 'the fun doesn't have to end'. I am against them.

Well it sounds like the majority of you agree that I am being overprotective (deep down I know this but darn that momma bear instinct). I guess I will talk it over a bit more with my FIL as he will be the one getting her cranky behind on Saturday. She is spending the week with him, so if he is willing to deal with a crank for a day or two, then I guess I will let her go. Then I will stay up all night staring at the ceiling worrying like moms do.

Jenny, I don't think you're being overprotective; I think you're just being careful.

if you do let her go, make sure she is allowed to have her cell phone with her and that she is allowed to use it whenever she wants to call you. if that isn't permitted, I would keep her home.

Even nice kids can get kind of nasty when they are overtired, so I don't even what to think about how the already-mean girls will behave at 3AM. :eek:

Cat

PS. My ds just turned 11, and I wouldn't let him go to an overnight lock-in with a large group of kids.

Edited by Catwoman

Well it sounds like the majority of you agree that I am being overprotective (deep down I know this but darn that momma bear instinct). I guess I will talk it over a bit more with my FIL as he will be the one getting her cranky behind on Saturday. She is spending the week with him, so if he is willing to deal with a crank for a day or two, then I guess I will let her go. Then I will stay up all night staring at the ceiling worrying like moms do.

Just for emphasis, I do NOT think you are being over protective. Not at all.

I wouldn't think you were being over protective even if it was just a regular sleep over at a girl's house.

I don't feel you're being overprotective.

My kids are night owls, and the older two frequently stay up quite late...very late, in fact. But, the idea of letting them attend a lock-in is not something I would feel comfortable with, and, I probably would not allow my kids to go to one.

In light of this I would say no to the lock in. I wouldn't want to send a 10 year old that hadn't slept all night over to someone's house for a day let alone a week. I would think that a better transition would be a restful normal night at home.

:iagree:

I do not get the need for these lock-ins. Let them have a party and send them all home at 10:00 - which, personally, I think is a little late for a 10 yr old. I like my kids home, under my roof, at night unless it's a sleepover with a very good, well known to us family friend. I honestly think this whole trend is ridiculous.

:iagree:

I do not get the need for these lock-ins. Let them have a party and send them all home at 10:00 - which, personally, I think is a little late for a 10 yr old. I like my kids home, under my roof, at night unless it's a sleepover with a very good, well known to us family friend. I honestly think this whole trend is ridiculous.

This isn't something "new." Lock-ins have been around for years... decades even. They were around in the 70's...as my parents hosted them for the church youth group they taught (I have pictures... but I'm saving them to blackmail my dad when I really want something :lol:). I'm not sure how much further they go back than that, because I'm just not that old. ;)

IMO, I think it's her best chance at truly getting to know these girls. She might spend 8hrs a week with them but it's structured. She wants to form real friendships and she needs unstructured time with these girls to do so. I think you'd be adding to her "outsider" status by not letting her go.

That said, I'd be just as worried about how it'd go as you are. Your DD doesn't seem worried or as worried as you, so I hope you're keeping these fears to yourself as it sounds she has her own fears she's thankfully trying to overcome.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, but that isn't the issue here.

It sounds like you and her father need to talk about this some more- in private. Whatever the two of you decide is best, you need to present as a parental decision.

This shouldn't be something that she is left to decide and then if she doesn't have a good time you point the finger at her and then her father. If you and her father decide to give your permission to let her attend this function, you need to put your full support behind it. Then, if it doesn't turn out well, you can say that some days are like that even in Australia and maybe the next one will be better.

HTH-

Mandy

It took her 2 years to finally make a friend that would talk to her for more than one or two practices. Of course that girl made level 5 and now barely acknowledges DD on the day they are all there at the same time. It's just the way it is, but I feel bad for her that she can't find a good friend in the groups that she spends nearly 8 hours a week with.

Based on this, no. I was initially swayed by the thought that she wanted to go, but at 10yo AND with these circumstances, I don't think she's mature enough to make that decision on her own. It seems that her desire to go is part of a desire to be finally included, and like you, I would worry that she's setting herself up for another disappointment.

I'd say no to the lock-in, then plan to do something fun that evening, either as a family, or just the two of you, without commenting that it has anything to do with her not going to the lock-up. (Okay, haha, yes, I know it's a lock-in.) It could be something very simple like showing old home movies and banana splits at home, or a game night, or inviting a real friend of hers over for a few hours.

I'd also renew my efforts at finding NICE girls for my dd to make friends with. My own preference is other homeschooled girls, for a variety of reasons (easier to schedule things, more shared values with the other family, etc.).

My girls did lock ins at around age 10= girls scouts I think. One liked it, another didn't It depends on the kid. My youngest loves sleep-overs and lock-ins. I do think you are over-protective since one of the main reasons for a girl who is left out to go to one of these things is to feel more included. I know my kid who doesn't like sleep-overs much did appreciate going to an overnight with her confirmation class- it helped her make a friend.

We don't do overnights. It was really hard for us when we first made the rule. But now that it has just been this way for so long, the kids think nothing of it. When there is an invite or whatnot it is fairly easy to just say, "We don't do overnights." Think how much that UNcomplicates life.

IMO, I think it's her best chance at truly getting to know these girls. She might spend 8hrs a week with them but it's structured. She wants to form real friendships and she needs unstructured time with these girls to do so. I think you'd be adding to her "outsider" status by not letting her go.

I think friends are overrated. :D

Seriously, if she has spent all these years with these girls, 8 hours a week, and has yet to develope a close friendship with any of them....maybe they aren't friendship material.

I know I'm going to sound like a kill-joy, but what is the point of staying up all night when you're ten?

I don't think you're being overprotective. Dh likely doesn't know what girls can be like.

I just heard of a book that sounds good: Cinderella Ate My Daughter. It's about girl culture and how mean the girls can get.

Alley

This isn't something "new." Lock-ins have been around for years... decades even. They were around in the 70's...as my parents hosted them for the church youth group they taught (I have pictures... but I'm saving them to blackmail my dad when I really want something :lol:). I'm not sure how much further they go back than that, because I'm just not that old. ;)

I had honestly never heard of one until the late 90's when our church started having them. They weren't in my area in the 70's (I was in my teens then), but then I think our area is rather backwards and slow to catch up - which is probably all for the good. :001_smile:

I would probably allow her to go if she wanted to. My girls have been on overnight camping trips with their girl scouts troop and it has been a very good bonding experience for them. They don't actually stay up all night at these but close to it. If she is willing to face it head on, I would let her if it were me.

We don't do lock-ins. I honestly don't get the point and your daughter is only 10yo. If these girls aren't acting friendly during practice and all, I doubt it would be much better in the wee hours of the morning. Does she have one or two that she's more friendly with? If so, I'd consider arranging a play date with either or both of them instead.

I am surprised at how many people are questioning why anyone would allow a 10 year old to stay up all night. Didn't anyone else have sleepovers? When I was in elementary school we had them all the time. Watching movies all night, playing games, playing silly tricks on the first person to fall asleep (nothing mean). These are some of my favorite childhood memories!! I just assumed all kids grew up doing this?!?

Anyway, in this situation my concern would be the bullying.....not the staying up all night/sleepover aspect. I hope you find a solution that makes you and your dd comfortable!

I am surprised at how many people are questioning why anyone would allow a 10 year old to stay up all night.

Lock-ins are different from sleepovers, because during a sleepover the kids will eventually fall asleep. And even if the kids swear up and down that they won't sleep, they usually do. ;) At a lock-in, the intention is to deliberately stay up all night. It was noted in the original post at the gym lock-in, "there is no lights out."

I personally think it isn't healthy to deliberately stay up all night, and I won't let a child do it for fun. It has the potential to have a big an impact on the rest of the family, either by disrupting the next day's activities or by depressing the child's immune system and bringing a virus into the household.

We don't do sleepovers yet either, for other reasons. But I will allow overnight summer camp.