Menu

Toddlers and Tiara-would you?

I've seen this show a couple of times - would I have allowed my daughter to participate in what I saw? Nope.

Would I have allowed her to participate in more of a 'normal' pageant/talent show if she'd expressed interest? Possibly. It would depend on what was expected.

In our old hometown there were 'Miss Teen' and 'Little Miss' pageant/talent shows during a specific summer festival and they were NOTHING like what I've seen on that show.

I almost posted about this show a couple of week ago. I was sick and channel surfing. I stopped at this show and just made out loud comments at one of the girls "talent" she was dressed provocatively and doing a very sexual dance. I also said something about how pedophiles would love this show.

Well about this time my 13 yo sat down to watch TV with me. I was still talking to the TV about how trashy/disgusting. He watched about 10 min and I started to watch him, he was really becoming uncomfortable, (a young girls about 7 was doing a sleazy dance (think sliding all over the floor)(adult make up) strip club.

anyway I was looking at the show like a parent but I realize that my son was well feeling "uncomfortable" he was getting "sexual thoughts" the way a young teen might I turned off the TV and talked to him about how he was feeling and how it was normal and I wasn't thinking about how this may affect them. He was struggling with what I was saying about pedophiles and stuff and here my baby was struggling with all his new teen feeling. I felt like I needed the BAD mom award that day

Anyway it just made me think if a 13 yo could get "sexual thoughts" from watching this girls dance, just wondering why a parent would allow their young girls this kind of activity

Oh my goodness, don't get me started! LOL

I told my DH to please knock me back into reality if I ever get like that when/if we have a daughter. :)

I've been trying to think how it could be seen as a positive tool, but every point I come up with - there is a major negative drawback.

I think, unless the girl wins every time, it can cause major self-image issues. Can you imagine a young girl standing in front of these judges, being judged on how she presents her self and how she looks? Yes some of it is talent and how the girl behaves up there...but a lot of it is how she looks as well. Having my young daughter wear make-up? No thank you...that's like saying she's not pretty enough the way she is.

And some of those moms are just...well to the big extreme and...well scary!

My oldest did a beauty pageant at the mall when she was 2 1/2. She won her age group and overall "best eyes". No makeup and just regular party dress. I was shocked at the cost of the registration fee for the next level of competition (it was hundreds of dollars). So that was the end of her pageant career.

If she wants to do Jr. Miss in high school, I would encourage her to participate. That program places less of an emphasis on physical appearance and more of an emphasis on academics & being well-rounded.

There was a clip of this show during something I was watching on E!. Anyway, they had a mom bring her daughter to get her eyebrows waxed. It was the most horrible thing to watch. She was SCREAMING! Apparently the 5 year old had a uni-brow. That was a bit over the top for me. I have never even had my own brows waxed.

I will never do that to my dd. I would like to point out several things I noticed having watched the show...

a)Most of the moms are overweight with very thin dd's. I get the feeling that they are living through their dd's.

b.)Most of the girls regardless of age have a speech issue. IMO, I would spend my money on speech therapy rather than a $800+ dress.

c.) Some of the single moms have moved back in with their parents to be able to do pageants.

I know someone in real life who's daughter, age 6, competes in these pageants. It amazes me the amount of money spent. This woman paid $900 for false teeth for her daughter to wear during competition because you know at 6, they have that inconvenience of losing those pesky baby teeth. SHEESH! I couldn't believe it.

I HATE that show. I watch it when I'm in the mood to be angry, which isn't often. :glare:

One of the worst (IMO) was the one who forced the earring through her daughter's ear because she hadn't worn earrings in awhile, and either it just hurt or the hole was closed up--and her daughter started crying. Then she told her to stop crying or she would ruin her makeup. I wanted to cry, too.

I can't believe some of those mothers haven't been arrested for child abuse. :blink:

"PD: What attracted you to this world?

TG: I think because I had two boys before I had Mia and I was looking for girly stuff to do with her. When she was a baby and could not dance, a friend of mine told me about pageants and that is how we got started.

The bolded part-:confused: What???? :confused:

I could say sooo many things, but I think I'll refrain other than to say no my dear girl would not and will not be participating in any pageants. Ever.

"PD: What attracted you to this world?

TG: I think because I had two boys before I had Mia and I was looking for girly stuff to do with her. When she was a baby and could not dance, a friend of mine told me about pageants and that is how we got started.

The bolded part-:confused: What???? :confused:

I could say sooo many things, but I think I'll refrain other than to say no my dear girl would not and will not be participating in any pageants. Ever.

I'm assuming that she meant that her daughter wasn't old enough for dance lessons - often the usual home of moms like this ;) - so she did pageants instead.

After attending a few dance recitals, walking the local mall, and catching an episode of this (love when we get a hotel with cable and dh takes the kiddos swimming :D) show, I am no longer suprised at what people will dress their daughters like or let them do on a stage or in public.

No, it would never occur to me to have my dd do this.

I have a DD with sensory issues. It's only the fact that she loves ballet that makes her willing to allow me to put her hair up in a bun each week!

Having said this, though, I was a music major in the Southern US-and I knew a LOT of pageant queens and princesses. If you were a vocal music major, played an attractive instrument (flute, piano, violin), a dance major, or a theater major, doing those "Queen of the Poultry Festival" or "Miss Apple Blossom" pageants could easily add up to several thousand dollars in college scholarship money just by putting on your high school prom gown, doing your hair, and hitting the Maybelline heavily. I also went to college with a former Miss Texas USA, who had finished her reign, and had a classmate take a year off to be Miss New Mexico. I can't say it made ME want to do a pageant (I hate makeup), but it didn't seem to hurt them any.

I know someone in real life who's daughter, age 6, competes in these pageants. It amazes me the amount of money spent. This woman paid $900 for false teeth for her daughter to wear during competition because you know at 6, they have that inconvenience of losing those pesky baby teeth. SHEESH! I couldn't believe it.

:svengo: :eek::svengo:

I love our toothless grins!

Absolutely not! Ever! I'm having a hard enough time trying to decide whether to enroll my daughter in the local dance studio. I really do need to just go down there and check it out, but all I see of them is in local parades and they have classes of 4 & 5 year old girls dressed up in make-up and skimpy clothes shaking their booty down the street to hip-hop music. It just disgusts me to see that, but DD is dying to take ballet. I wonder if they even teach ballet. Anyhow, I guess I'll have to do some investigatin'!

Sheesh. I JUST saw another link to that show about a mother waxing her 5 year old's eyebrows. Gross.

That was on last night's episode. It was terrible.

My husband walked in the room and said, "What IS this?! Why are you watching this?"

I told him I was stocking up on reasons that I'm not such a bad mother afterall.

Absolutely not! Ever! I'm having a hard enough time trying to decide whether to enroll my daughter in the local dance studio. I really do need to just go down there and check it out, but all I see of them is in local parades and they have classes of 4 & 5 year old girls dressed up in make-up and skimpy clothes shaking their booty down the street to hip-hop music. It just disgusts me to see that, but DD is dying to take ballet. I wonder if they even teach ballet. Anyhow, I guess I'll have to do some investigatin'!

Find her a martial arts studio instead. ;)

Anyone can open a dance studio. Ime, what you're describing is a studio run by someone simply looking to make a buck. See if you can find a relatively serious school in your area. You'll see the difference immediately. My daughter always danced at a school attached to a company or college, or one dedicated solely to ballet. They did NOT parade little girls around like wh*res. :glare:

:D

He was horrified. So was I, but that's not always enough to make me turn the channel.

I like to watch Super Nanny at times because it assures that my children are not the worst behaved creatures on the planet. We all need a pat on the back sometimes. :lol:

That show is really high on my list of horrible-things-ordinary-parents-do. The (slightly) funny thing about it is that the show producers do frame it such that they are making fun of those foolish parents, but I guess the parents don't even see that. TLC knows moms like us watch that show and go, "ARE YOU PEOPLE FREAKIN' NUTS?!!!" Do the pageant moms not realize it? :confused:

Mejane, you are right about the dance studio thing. In our area, we only have dance studios and in every single one, shaking booty and dressing like a Friday night Street Walker is what is taught. Not one single thing about classical dance, no ballroom, no ballet, not even reasonable jazz dancing. The three dance schools within driving distance of here are not even owned or operated by anyone with a significant background in dance. Each of them is owed by a former high school cheerleader with a two year degree in business. So, the background and lack of formal dance training of the owners is reflected in the school or studio.

But, the School of Dance which is a part of the Institute for the Arts which is about an hour 20 minutes from here.....good stuff! Ever single recital they put on is a delight to see. Appropriate outfits, appropriate music, appropriate choreography and the children grow and progress through the classes some more than others, but all are benefitting and learning. Huge, huge difference and it's not an embarassment to watch. I can take my sons and not feel like I need to cover their eyes.

My niece was briefly in a dance class at one of these local studios. For her 8 year old recital, the teacher was going to have them all dance in black fishnet hose, black bikinis, and to one of the tunes from the musical, "Chicago"! My sister in law was going to allow that, but my brother objected in a manner that could just about be heard across the block. She did not participate in the recital.

So, sorry to hijack the thread. I just felt Mejane was very astute in her advice.

Faith

Never (where's the puking icon?)

I think if teen or college girls want to do pageants, that's fine. At least it's their own decision, hopefully.

I can't stand this over-sexualizing of little girls. It's gross. You know that 99% don't even want to do it, it's their parents making them.