Menu

Toddlers and Tiara-would you?

A beauty pagent - no way.

However there are some similar pagents that are for raising money for charity - the girls are not judged on beauty - just how much money they raise - they wear no make-up and just a nice outfit. Yes I wouldn't mind if my DD did that.

As for dance schools - I'm signing my DD up to learn Scottish dancing - beautiful modest costumes - everything fully covered. My DH would kick a fit if I enrolled DD in a dance studio that wore skimpy costumes.

These kids also get spray tans, "flippers" (fake teeth), and they are loaded up with energy drinks so that they'll be perky for the judges. One little girl they interviewed had almost three energy drinks that day.

One mom on last night said she prayed and begged God to give her a girl so that she might have a daughter who could be a future Miss America or Miss Universe. Her dd was 18 mos. old.

Gag. Everything is based on looks. How does that help a child's self-esteem??

I don't have a dd, but I find the Toddlers in Tiaras shows to be offensive and disgusting. Those poor children!

I can't help but notice, though, that while the kids are cute, the moms are often very plain and out of shape -- certainly no beauty queens -- and I think they're living their own dreams of beauty and glamour by exploiting their own children. I have even heard those moms say things like, "When we win..." I wonder what some of those moms are like on the way home from a pageant when their perfect little darling doesn't win. :eek: They're obnoxious and controlling parents to begin with; I hate to think of what they're like when things don't go their way.

And I also worry about the kids, because many of them are cute enough now, but aren't going to be beautiful women when they grow up, and I can only imagine the years of therapy it will take to help them realize that they aren't losers if they don't become Miss Universe.

I can't believe that show is back on the air. Every time I see an ad for a show like that, I worry that some crazy lunatic is going to fixate on one of those poor little girls.

Cat

Umm... no. Not even if the fate of the planet depended on it.

:lol::lol::lol: snort :lol::lol::lol:

:iagree:

Not even if it came with a free college scholarship

or a lifetime supply of nutella (and let me tell ya, I LOVE nutella)

or all the books I can read for the rest of my life for free

or ___________________.

I am as girly as it gets. Seriously. I am a designer-purse-carrying-pedicured-manicured-cosmo-swilling-afraid-of-spiders-girly-girl and I would NEVER and I mean NEVER put my daughter in a pagent and let's face it...she is a beauty. :D

I would put her in a martial arts competition. Or a science fair. Or a computers camp.

But strut her on stage almost naked like a piece of meat? NEVER NEVER NEVER.

I have fought too hard to be taken seriously on a professional level just because I am blonde and big-chested.... I would never let my daughter feed into that disgusting stereotype.

Did I mention NEVER?

No way. You can dress it up all you like with saying it's about confidence, personality, fun, etc, but it's still really a meat market that teaches kids (mostly girls) that they should be judged on how 'sexy' they look and act. Dressing tiny little girls up in slutty outfits to do bump an' grind dancing, seems just plain perverted to me.

However there are some similar pagents that are for raising money for charity - the girls are not judged on beauty - just how much money they raise - they wear no make-up and just a nice outfit. Yes I wouldn't mind if my DD did that.

I'd consider something like that if my children were keen to do it, as long as it wasn't uber competitive and the efforts of all the participants were appreciated.

Umm... no. Not even if the fate of the planet depended on it.

Totally agree.

And even if I became temporarily bedazzled by flashing lights, I cannot imagine my husband going along with it. I don't think he is a big beauty contestant kind of guy.

But ... I also can't imagine my daughter doing it, either.