Menu

Got word about my son's accident report

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kari, I would be angry too. This is like experiencing it all over again and I'm so very sorry you have to deal with this - especially the excrutiating details of all the things that needlessly went wrong. You are in my prayers continually - not a day goes by that I do not turn my thoughts to you and your sorrow and pray that God would hold you close and dry your tears. I'm just so, so sorry.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

It's those split-second decisions that alter lives this way that just freak me out.

My friend's son died 2 1/2 years ago in a car accident. He was 19. 4 boys in the jeep. Two buckled. Two did not. A drunk driver hit them. The two unbuckled boys died at the scene. They were both ejected from the vehicle as it flipped in the middle of the interstate.

A split second decision that could've saved them. The other boys had minor injuries. It haunts me to this day. I watched this child grow up and I have watched the parents suffer greatly. My friend's brother had died in a wreck at 19 as well. She was reliving the nightmare of losing her brother and living the nightmare of losing her son.

I wish we could protect our kids from ever making poor choices. I wish we could be with them to make sure they did the things we wish they always would. I cannot imagine your grief.

What a horrible mix of emotions you must be feeling, anger, frustration, sorrow. I am so sorry. A little boy on my son's basketball team passed away recently and someone wrote this on the funeral home's online guest book and I just thought it was nicely put:

death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.

Kari,

Firstly, I am so sorry you are going through this.

When my dad died, we were all walking around in a daze - except my mom. I remember being very confused by that, and asking her why she was doing so well (relatively). She looked at me and said "after the first death, there is no other". Then I remembered she had lost my oldest sister as a baby.

It is hard, so very hard. Don't listen to anyone tell you that you'll "get over it", or that "it just takes time". It doesn't. You will have days that are better than others. Somewhere along the road, you will wake up and realize that the better days are greater in number than the horrible days, but there will still be closet days. And you have to allow yourself to have them without guilt.

When you're a soldier, especially a young soldier, you have to believe you're immortal. It is the only way you can wake up every morning and do your duty. Even when you're not "in the sand", the weight of the world has been placed on your shoulders, and to face it, to carry it, you have to know, to the core of your being, that you can look your mortality in the face - and laugh. It is what brings you through battles, it is what brings you home. And, unfortunately, it sometimes leads you to make very poor decisions.

You bore a hero, Kari. A man who made the hard choices, who stared danger in the face, laughed, and lived to tell about it. One poor choice does not invalidate all of the good. Yes, be angry. Be very, very angry. For as long as you need to. I can guarantee you that he was equally angry when one of his buddies died. And then live, Kari. Live for your baby.

asta

:grouphug: Oh Kari. I'm praying for you and your family. I experienced a lot of anger when my BIL passed away in a car accident. Different circumstances but the anger was one of the harder parts for me of the grief process. God holds you in the darkness even if you don't feel His arms.

Wow! I can't thank you enough for all this love. I was at a very low, yesterday. I had been doing so much better. Never good, but better. Then it just hits me and I felt like I was going to curl up and die. I still don't feel wonderful today, but at least I am able to not cry all day. Thank you so much for being wonderful ladies that listen to me. I can't even tell you how much that helps.

I am so sorry. I would be angry too. My son's dating someone who has had many tickets -- some wreckless, and it worries me too. I think women get off on traffic offenses far too often.

I mean, I never did, but from what I've heard, there's a way women work them. I have never intentionally gone more than over the speed limit, and yet I've had two speeding tickets. One was in a school zone -- I thought I was out of the zone. Two, I was too scared to question the officer, but I am sure I wasn't going as fast as he said I was.

:grouphug: It's okay to be mad. I'm still mad at dd's fiance'. I'm mad that he went over that waterfall. I'm mad that he did it in front of dd, on her birthday. I'm mad that her perfect life is ruined. I'm mad that I'll never get to see their adorable kids with the long legs and big noses. I'm mad that I'll not get to see him graduate from med school. And I'm mad that it's the 5th again, and I'm crying again. More hugs to you:

:grouphug:

:grouphug: How horrible. I didn't know about that.

Coming out of lurking to comment...

I went through a similar situation with my dad (he was out fishing with my nephews when a teenager on a skidoo swerved in front of the boat and hit them). Reading the accident report was nearly as bad as the moment I found out about the accident - there are some times I wish I'd just asked the lawyer for the pertinent parts and not read the rest. For what it's worth, though, in some ways it felt like that was the true moment of closure. Just.... be prepared for that - I foolishly thought it wouldn't hit me so hard, and ended up bawling like a baby at a rest stop on the NY thruway.

:grouphug: to you, and a separate :grouphug: to your friend for being there for you

Coming out of lurking to comment...

I went through a similar situation with my dad (he was out fishing with my nephews when a teenager on a skidoo swerved in front of the boat and hit them). Reading the accident report was nearly as bad as the moment I found out about the accident - there are some times I wish I'd just asked the lawyer for the pertinent parts and not read the rest. For what it's worth, though, in some ways it felt like that was the true moment of closure. Just.... be prepared for that - I foolishly thought it wouldn't hit me so hard, and ended up bawling like a baby at a rest stop on the NY thruway.

:grouphug: to you, and a separate :grouphug: to your friend for being there for you

I just got his wallet in the mail today. I didn't expect a wallet. They had given me his car keys, license, phone, ipod and chapstick then they brought his body home. There was a wallet in with his belongings that were shipped from his room. I didn't expect a wallet. My husband came home tonight and found the box on our doorstep. I called him while I was out and I thought he sounded a bit off and down since I had talked to him earlier. He said he was fine. When I got home, he asked me if I had seen the box. I said that I had seen it when we left for gymnastics and I just thought it was something he had ordered. He told me it was Timmy's wallet. I was pretty good today and now I am just sick again. I just want all of this to go away. I can't take each little bit that comes at me when I am not expecting it. I do not know if I will read the accident report. I can see how I have completely gone downhill just hearing it was available. I am thinking if I read it that I will just lose it for awhile. I think I may just put it away for 20 years. I don't know. Thank you for sharing your story with me. It does help.

Kari,

Firstly, I am so sorry you are going through this.

When my dad died, we were all walking around in a daze - except my mom. I remember being very confused by that, and asking her why she was doing so well (relatively). She looked at me and said "after the first death, there is no other". Then I remembered she had lost my oldest sister as a baby.

It is hard, so very hard. Don't listen to anyone tell you that you'll "get over it", or that "it just takes time". It doesn't. You will have days that are better than others. Somewhere along the road, you will wake up and realize that the better days are greater in number than the horrible days, but there will still be closet days. And you have to allow yourself to have them without guilt.

When you're a soldier, especially a young soldier, you have to believe you're immortal. It is the only way you can wake up every morning and do your duty. Even when you're not "in the sand", the weight of the world has been placed on your shoulders, and to face it, to carry it, you have to know, to the core of your being, that you can look your mortality in the face - and laugh. It is what brings you through battles, it is what brings you home. And, unfortunately, it sometimes leads you to make very poor decisions.

You bore a hero, Kari. A man who made the hard choices, who stared danger in the face, laughed, and lived to tell about it. One poor choice does not invalidate all of the good. Yes, be angry. Be very, very angry. For as long as you need to. I can guarantee you that he was equally angry when one of his buddies died. And then live, Kari. Live for your baby.

asta

Thank you for writing this. I have read it a few times today. You are right that he thought he was immortal. I had talked to him 2 days before about the danger of texting and driving. He had just gotten a new sports car and had a lead foot. He could have just as easily killed himself with the speed he liked. I told him he needed to be careful. I can hear him as clear as day saying, "I am not afraid to die, Mom." It haunts me because it was just 2 days before.