Menu

Question About Unplanned C-Section

My first(and so far only) pregnancy ended with an unplanned c-section after my water broke, but I did not dilate at all...even after 3 rounds of induction medication.

DS was born and I wasn't able to really see him at all. He was wheeled by my head while they were sewing me up, but I didn't hold him until I was in recovery.

If you a had an unplanned or emergency c-section, was this your experience?

Or is it possible it was my fault? I had HG my entire pregnancy and was unable to eat for most of it. I was somewhat irritable for a lot of that. Also just very weak. After 4 hours of laboring when the third induction(Pitocin after cytotec failed twice) took I was given an epidural in hopes that I would dilate. My BP crashed when I was given the epidural and I was given something(ephedrine?) to bring it back up. After about 4 hours sleep I was woken up to be checked and I wasn't dilated. I had to have a c-section and had a reaction to the second round of anesthesia and was given more ephedrine. At this point I'd not been able to keep any food down since I was admitted to the hospital, 36 hours prior.

I was somewhat panicky and angry during the surgery and convinced that because they wouldn't let me see my baby that something was wrong and they(including DH) were hiding something from me. I let them know I didn't trust them and was...adamant and loud. I know now that I was being dumb, but I just wanted to see my baby and they wouldn't let me.

So...my fault? A normal hospital procedure for c-sections? We're trying for another baby and I'm a little scared about having another delivery like that one! :tongue_smilie:

Mine were unplanned c-sections and I didn't get to hold the babies until later.

With our first my water broke, I labored for 15-16 hours (not strong labor) and wouldn't dialate. Pitocin didn't help either. They held the baby up for me to see, but my arms were strapped down, I didn't get to hold her until after they took her to the nursery, weighed her, cleaned her up, etc. Then they brought her to the recovery room for me to hold.

Our boys were born premature and had to be whisked away to the NICU, so I can't say much there.

Need to add, when you've not been through a c-section before, I think the unknown can be stressful. I know I was a little unnerved by the whole experience. I think hospital personnel who are used to c-sections may not be as in tune to the fact that it's not the norm for you. Hopefully it will go better for you next time around!

HTH!

Edited by Jeanne in MN

My first(and so far only) pregnancy ended with an unplanned c-section after my water broke, but I did not dilate at all...even after 3 rounds of induction medication.

DS was born and I wasn't able to really see him at all. He was wheeled by my head while they were sewing me up, but I didn't hold him until I was in recovery.

Or is it possible it was my fault? I had HG my entire pregnancy and was unable to eat for most of it. I was somewhat irritable for a lot of that. Also just very weak. After 4 hours of laboring when the third induction(Pitocin after cytotec failed twice) took I was given an epidural in hopes that I would dilate. My BP crashed when I was given the epidural and I was given something(ephedrine?) to bring it back up. After about 4 hours sleep I was woken up to be checked and I wasn't dilated. I had to have a c-section and had a reaction to the second round of anesthesia and was given more ephedrine. At this point I'd not been able to keep any food down since I was admitted to the hospital, 36 hours prior.

I was somewhat panicky and angry during the surgery and convinced that because they wouldn't let me see my baby that something was wrong and they(including DH) were hiding something from me. I let them know I didn't trust them and was...adamant and loud. I know now that I was being dumb, but I just wanted to see my baby and they wouldn't let me.

So...my fault? A normal hospital procedure for c-sections? We're trying for another baby and I'm a little scared about having another delivery like that one! :tongue_smilie:

Well, I wouldn't deem anything as your fault. Unplanned c-sections and meds and hormones...you can hardly be blamed for any of your response.

That aside I had an unplanned cesarean as well. Even with pitocin, I would not progress past 3 cm and dd's heart rate kept dropping and somewhere around hr 15 they gave me an epidural because my dr. said he saw the writing on the wall (so to speak) and sure enough her hr disappeared during a contraction. They had me in the OR so fast my head spun. They did not let me hold or touch dd either. But, my epidural took too much or something because I lost all feeling from my shoulders down. It was 3 hours before they would let me out of recovery and 3.5 hrs before they let me see dd (but dh was with her). So, my experience was like yours BUT it could be because mine was funky too and also not representative of the norm. So, I may not be of much help.

I had an emergency c-section with my 3rd. Like Tammy, the baby was in distress and they rushed me to the OR so fast I felt like I was in an episode of ER. After she was born, the nurse took the strap off one of my arms and told me I could touch the baby (dh was holding her), but I was so weak I could barely lift my arm. Then my blood pressure crashed and I passed out. I was in recovery for about 4 hours, then taken to a room on the pediatric floor because all the post-partum rooms were full. They didn't want the baby on the pediatric floor b/c of sick kids, so we had to wait a few hours until a pp room became available before we could have her in the room with us. I can't remember whether I saw her when we were going from recovery to the peds room. They might have wheeled me past the nursery to see her, but I was still pretty out of it, so I'm not sure.

Edited by LizzyBee

I would never think it is your fault. I'm sure the doctors and nurses have dealt with plenty worse than you... they deal with pregnant women 24-7!! :D

I was in the hospital for a week before they even induced me, so you can be sure I was grouchy. And terrified! My best friend STILL makes fun of me for it because when the doctor came in my room and told me I'd be moving over to the labor and delivery room I calmly asked him a few questions and as soon as he left the room started freaking out.

Then they moved me over and did the cervadil, started the pitocin the next morning. I contracted all day with no progress. Contractions all day the second day, no progress. Around 4:30, DD started doing badly and my blood pressure was skyrocketing so they rushed me into the operating room. But not before I cried to the nurse and BEGGED her to put in the cathader in the OR after I was numb. Then when they were doing the spinal I was crying hysterically on the shoulder of the nurse because I was terrified of the needle and kept telling them my baby wasn't supposed to be born for another 6 weeks and I WAS NOT READY!!

:D I was a nut ball. So don't feel at all bad about how you were acting.

(FTR, I didn't see DD for 16 hours, because she was rushed right to the NICU and then I reacted badly to the spinal.)

I had an unplanned "planned c-section" with DD9. My doc had scheduled the section for Thursday morning because DD was transverse and I had gestational diabetes. Wednesday night, I went into full-on hard labor. They did a spinal block and wrestled her out - it was a very difficult delivery. DD was hustled off to be checked and the docs spent a goodly amount of time sewing me up. I didn't actually see her until about 3 hours later.

By contrast, my DS14 was a planned c-section (also transverse). It went very quickly and smoothly and I got to see him immediately. I couldn't actually hold him until they finished sewing me up, but then I was able to hold him right there before we left the OR. It was all very well organized and not much different from my other two regular deliveries.

BTW - I was pretty grumpy in recovery too after the emergency surgery and had difficulty telling fact from paranoia. The doc on call that night said it was probably a side effect of the BP raising drugs they had to give me.

HUGS!!!!

That sounds very traumatic. And no, it was NOT your fault. I would highly suggest you contact your local ICAN group (International Cesarean Awareness Network) and read the book Silent Knife, it is very healing for women that have had traumatic births. Also, how long was it between your water breaking and the c-section? Sometimes it takes quite a while for labor to start. Also, the stress hormones that kick in from being in the hospital can interfere with labor for some people. Please, please, please contact your local chapter of ICAN. There are women there that understand how upsetting that was for you, women that will help you work through the trauma and fear and plan this birth.

And I also didn't get to see my baby after my c-section...i think they waved him by me quickly, but that was it. By the time I got him in recovery, after a 40 hour labor and then c-section, I was totally exhausted and unreasonable. It was very healing to hold my second child immediately after she was born...vaginally in an 8 hour labor :)

HUGS!

I think a lot of what goes on with a c-section is related to hospital policy as well as the condition of mom and baby. When DD was delivered (6wks early), the neonatologists checked her over in the ER and then gave her to me to hold while I was stitched up. She was never away from me, not in the ER, not in recovery, not on the ward. All of that was hospital policy. However, many other moms that I know were separated from their healthy babies for hours and it seemed like the entire world had been able to hold the babies before the moms.

Oh, and FWIW they gave me a narcotic (which I'm allergic to) in my spinal which made me a total nutjob and then they had to give me Narcan in recovery to clear it from my system which then let me feel all the post-surgical pain all at once which made me very, very pissy... Poor nurses.

It's amazing to read that other people had experiences where they were angry, upset, or paranoid during their c-sections. No one I know IRL had that reaction! I never felt it was traumatic, but when I started to think about doing it again I had a very negative reaction. I've been really upset and spending the last several days thinking about what I could have done differently. Very unlike me, I'm generally a what's done is done kinda gal!

My water broke 36-38 hours before the c-section...during the kick off of Superbowl 2009 in fact. That Tuesday morning I had my DS.

It's amazing to read that other people had experiences where they were angry, upset, or paranoid during their c-sections. No one I know IRL had that reaction! I never felt it was traumatic, but when I started to think about doing it again I had a very negative reaction. I've been really upset and spending the last several days thinking about what I could have done differently. Very unlike me, I'm generally a what's done is done kinda gal!

My water broke 36-38 hours before the c-section...during the kick off of Superbowl 2009 in fact. That Tuesday morning I had my DS.

I started crying when I was being wheeled to the OR, cried throughout the surgery, and was still crying when I woke up in recovery 4 hrs later. I didn't know why I was crying; I'm sure it was just a reaction to the stress, meds, and hormones. I'm sure all of your drs and nurses have seen worse and understood that you were reacting to the medical and hormonal issues going on.

I have a friend who had quads and looked great and alert after her C-section. I couldn't believe it when I saw the pictures taken minutes after birth. I only had one baby and I zonked out. But my c-section was an emergency at 4:30 am and hers was planned - I have to think that made a huge difference.

My c-section was a near-crash c-section for a placental abruption. I was put under, so I wasn't awake during the surgery. I'd had a feeling the whole pregnancy that I was going to end up with a c-section and had some 'contingency' discussions with DH. I instructed him (adamantly) to leave me in the OR and stay with the baby, which he did. Two years later it's STILL such a relief to me to know that she wasn't alone during that time if she couldn't be with me.

I don't think you can blame yourself. You may never know why the whole cascade of events happened. But I will say, now that I've had 3 kids, that no two deliveries ever go the same. I've had an epidural birth, a med-free birth, and a c-section now :D Are you planning to VBAC or will you go with a scheduled c-section? In any case, try to focus on the positive and don't let the past stress you out. :grouphug:

:grouphug: That sounds traumatic. It wasn't your fault. I'm sure of that. :grouphug:

I think I've processed my experience. We were an "emergent" C section for distress after a long labor and almost 4 hours of pushing. My twin A was, as it turns out, posterior and chin up which was stuck in my pelvis. There is a name for it I think that I can't remember. At any rate, he wasn't coming out. I was so exhausted--physically and emotionally. I felt like a failure honestly.

Physically the recovery from that pushing phase was, for me, way worse than the section physically. The combo was...well, it took me a very long time to be myself. I think I've processed the way it all happened but even recently I felt sort of compelled to look up information about my son's presentation. I know the OB told me that no one could get a baby out that was in that position but I always wondered if she told me that because I was a blubbering mess the next day when she talked to me!

I didn't hold my guys until recovery (after sewing me up and moving me out). The babies were in the OR and then moved out with me though so they were always in the room or at least I think they were. My husband was with them the whole time I know.

Our birth was, for me, very traumatic. When my son (twin A--the stuck one) was born he was blue and not breathing. The OB held him up for me to see and we have a picture of him like that. I can see the pediatrician in the distance looking alarmed and I hate that picture of my son because he looks like he does and it brings those memories. I kept asking why he wasn't crying and everyone was rushing around and no one would answer me. I kept asking (emotional) why he wasn't making sounds and the someone (strongly as I remember it) told me I needed to calm down and breath for the other baby or something. I thought I was hurting baby B at that point. It was horrible. I thought my son was was dead. I guess the ones who knew were too busy with him to answer me. I know he had CPR. It felt like it took forever. Ugh.

Yes, other women do find their c-sections very upsetting, for a number of reasons. ICAN is one place where you wont hear "All that matters is a healthy baby." Because although a healthy baby is of course the most important thing it isn't the ONLY thing. Your feelings are real. Having surgery is a big deal, and it is right and normal to feel apprehensive. Now is the time to work through that and prepare for what lies ahead.

If you want a repeat c-section there are articles on how to make it at family friendly as possible http://ican-online.org/pregnancy/family-centered-cesarean

If you want a VBAC then there is a ton of information there - http://ican-online.org/vbac/home

I hope you find some peace.

I had an unplanned c-section. I had surgical scarring from a previous surgery throw me into early labor (3 weeks early). I was in the hospital from Friday evening to Monday afternoon before the c-section. I only remember bits and pieces of the weekend including my allergic reaction to one of the medications. I was under total anesthesia for the surgery, my dh was in room and got to hold ds immediately. I didn't see him until after I was back in the room.

Ds was fine, I spent another week in the hospital. I'm allergic to demerol too so I was on morphine all week. Ds went home before I did. I had a c-section and they also removed some scar tissue so it was a pretty invasive surgery. My doctor suggested I should not try to get pregnant again, I agreed. It was a horrid experience. I love my son, he is truly a blessing, but I wouldn't put my body through that again.

We never had the urge to have a large family or more children so I don't have any angst about having an only child. We discussed adoption a few times, but feel our family size is right where it should be.

Edited by elegantlion

IIRC (and honestly the whole thing is a bit hazy), DD was held up for me to see once they had her cleaned up a bit, which they did in the OR. My first attempt to bf/first time holding her was, I think, right there as well, as soon as they were done stitching me up. I had the shakes pretty bad from the spinal (common side effect), so holding her straightaway wasn't really an option. The nurse (who was also a friend from a local attachment parenting group and had stayed past her shift to see me through to the end of surgery) held DD to me for our first nursing attempt.

I'm planning a HBAC now.

My c-section was a near-crash c-section for a placental abruption. I was put under, so I wasn't awake during the surgery. I'd had a feeling the whole pregnancy that I was going to end up with a c-section and had some 'contingency' discussions with DH. I instructed him (adamantly) to leave me in the OR and stay with the baby, which he did. Two years later it's STILL such a relief to me to know that she wasn't alone during that time if she couldn't be with me.

I don't think you can blame yourself. You may never know why the whole cascade of events happened. But I will say, now that I've had 3 kids, that no two deliveries ever go the same. I've had an epidural birth, a med-free birth, and a c-section now :D Are you planning to VBAC or will you go with a scheduled c-section? In any case, try to focus on the positive and don't let the past stress you out. :grouphug:

Ditto, including emergency c-section due to ruptured placenta, instructing my husband to stay with the baby and am now wondering if LemonPie is my long lost twin? Strangely enough I also had a med-free birth, c-section and and epidural as well.

I was panicky when I came around and couldn't see the baby, and I was like a broken record "I need to see my baby." A pediatrician I recognized arrived right before they knocked me out so at least I knew he had immediate care.

With my first, there was 24 hours of labor (including 3 hours of pushing), and the stubborn little fellow was stuck. They tried everything to avoid a c-section, but I ended up with one, and they had trouble dislodging his head to get him out of the c-section. I didn't hold him until I was out of recovery, but dh stayed with him the whole time.

My other 4 were successful vbacs. My oldest was my largest baby (at 7.5 pounds, so not even large), and all 5 were inductions.

It's amazing to read that other people had experiences where they were angry, upset, or paranoid during their c-sections. No one I know IRL had that reaction!

I would say it would depend on the urgency of the CSection. People I know who had 'regular' unplanned CSections did not experience any of the above (anger, being upset, or paranoia). But when you're wheeled in on a major emergency, things are quite different. The ER episode happened to me too with my first born. The placenta abrupted while I was at 4cm, after 12 hours of induced labour. I was losing blood quickly, and the baby had no oxygen. In cases like mine, doctors don't care as much about your well being. They care about your life and the baby's life. Everything else takes second place. When I was put under anesthesia, I was in major panic, because it felt like the anesthesist was strangling me with his bare hands and that I was dying. Huge stress there! When I woke up, I couldn't see the baby right away either. Not before they got me to my room. I have missed his first three hours of life.

I've had 2 c-sections. The first one, I went into labor, dialated and pushed for 3 hours but I was not big enough to deliver. My dd also had pooh in there so when she was born they took her & my dh away so she could be cleaned out. I did not get her for 2 1/2 hours. But she bonded closely with dh & he did a lot of the handling. This was a rough recovery as well.

The second one was a dream. There was no labor and it was scheduled 2 weeks before my due date. I came in, got my epidural, they wheeled me down, took out my baby and gave her to me right away and she nursed and cuddled for about an hour before my dh took her off to get her first bath. This recovery was much easier, by the second week I was taking them both out the library and la leche league meetings.

Each pregnancy is unique though. I had hyperemersis (nausea) the entire time with both and was medicated.:001_smile:

I had an emergency c-section with my first... his heart rate continued to drop during labor. One second I was in labor the next I was on my knees being wheeled into emergency. I was very anxious and nervous throughout the surgery, but I did get to see my ds as soon as he was born and I nursed him in recovery.

My second and third children were born by planned c-section at my dr.'s insistence. I felt somewhat more at ease during these surgeries, because I knew what was going to happen and because I was not as worried about the babies. However, I didn't get to hold or even see them until 6-10 hours later. They had some issues and were removed to a high-risk nursery. I was very concerned about not being able to nurse them right away. And, actually, both of them were given bottles in the nursery. However, I had absolutely no problems with nursing once I was able to hold them.

During my first two pregnancies I took hormones throughout the first half of the pregnancy. During my third, I took a blood thinner all the way up to the week of delivery. And... all my deliveries were different. Please don't blame yourself for something you did during the pregnancy. That is a heavy weight to carry. Have you discussed this with your dr.? I would encourage you to do so.

I had a "crash" C section, which made me REALLY happy I'd finally done an epidural (I was vomiting non-stop from the pain, my typical pain reaction, and couldn't dream of pushing while retching), as they were able to roar me into the surgical suite and get 'er done. Kiddo's heart rate was plummeting, and his eyebrows were stuck in the pre-crown position.

I saw them bathe kiddo. Hubby helped turn my head, because the spinal had crept up a bit, and I was numb from the chin down for about 2 minutes and was having to concentrate on using the accessory muscles in my chest to breath. Yowie!

Next, kiddo disappeared with my doula and hubby, and I found out, typically, he was having an extended photo-shoot with the newborn. :)

I was in recovery and shivering violently, not from cold but from what I thought was anesthesia recovery. They brought me kiddo and I said I didn't think I could hold him safely, so the nurse propped me on my side and lay him next to me. He rooted about and started to mouth my nipple, at which point ALL shivering ceased immediately. I think I was shivering in a kind of physiological panic of being away from baby. I didn't "feel" it in my brain, but my body spoke.

Really, I was just so happy to have a healthy baby with good apgars, I didn't care which orifice he came out of.

:grouphug: Hope this helps, somehow.

My pregnancies were always easy and routine with no problems or issues, my deliveries were all different and not according to plan in different ways. I don't think anything you did is to blame for your delivery.:grouphug:

DS was my emergency c-section. I went in for an induction and my blood pressure, which is normally low, crashed. It stabilized for a little while but once I had an epidural I started passing out and they kept losing ds's heartbeat. Into the er for an emergency c-section, I was still in and out of consciousness so everything is pretty vague for me. I remember them announcing it was a boy and dh went off with him to the nursery. I didnt' see him for about 4 or 5 hours later. I was still pretty out of it the first day but was able to nurse him okay. DH really was able to bond with ds since they really let him help out getting him bathed, weighed and measured in the nursery. Since this was dh's first baby, I think it was a good experience for him. Whats interesting is dh got the chills and was shivering violently during my c-section. They actually had to get him a heated blanket to wrap around him.

Youngest dd was a planned c-section but I ended up going into labor on my own (for the first time ever) 5 days before we were scheduled. She ended up being delivered on the weekend by a covering doctor I had never met before. It was much easier than ds's delivery. I was up and showering within 3 hours.

Oldest dd was an induction after my water broke at 32 weeks. I had a lopsided epidural (one side numb, other side feeling everything). I was pretty out of it then too and heard later that she would have been a c-section if things hadn't gotten better.

I was 2 weeks overdue and had been dilated to a 3 for a month. They induced me and when the doctor manually broke my water and examined me, he then discovered that ds was breech. He was Frank Breech but had his arms wrapped around the outside of his legs (folded in half with each foot on either side of his head) which complicated the delivery because it essentially locked him into breech and he may not have been able to drop his legs to come out of the birth canal. The doctor told me that while I could try breech delivery, he really, really didn't recommend it. He was very worried and I could tell he was quite serious. I am a thin built person and ds was 8lb 11oz.

When they hooked me up to the pitocin the nurse discovered I was having contractions but couldn't feel them. I was on the 'final screen of the contraction monitor' and he (male nurse) was dumbfounded that I wasn't in pain. The contractions just felt like the baby was pushing out a bit...no big deal. My grandmother had very, very fast labors so now we wonder if this is why....if she, like me, couldn't feel the contractions until they were really at the end of delivery.

The doctor had a portable xray brought in to confirm the position of ds and then they wheeled me off to my surgery.

They did the epidural, put up a sheet so I couldn't see the delivery, and delivered ds. They held him over the sheet so I could see him while the umbilical cord was being cut. They cleaned him, APGARed him, did a minute or two exam and then bundled him up and let dh and I have a quick minute with him at the surgery table.

Dh sayed with ds until he was put into an incubator for a bit to warm him up. I went to recovery.

I had an allergic reaction to the anesthesia and was throwing up and itching for 24 hours, then just itching for 2 days. I wasn't able to hold him for 24 hours because the slightest movement on my part would result in vomiting. It didn't have anything to do with the c-section or the hospital...just my unforeseen reaction to the anesthesia. I have had many surgeries since then, I just tell the anesthesiologist about my reaction and they make sure to not give me the same drug again. I have never had another problem with a surgery since.

DD12 was c-section too, but planned. They showed her to me in the OR immediately after birth (not washed yet) and let dh hold her next to me once she was examined. I went to recovery, she went to the be monitored for low blood sugar and warmed. Once she was stable she went to dh until I was in my room. No problems this time.

I have two different unplanned c-section stories. First mine. I was wheeled in to the OR after pushing for an hour, because DS was not descending and his heart beat was decelerating. I had to be put out under general because local was not working for me I could still feel. So DH wasn't even in the room when they did the operation. Everything went fine, but I didn't wake up until about an hour after the surgery and due to an incompetent nurse didn't see DS for close to 5 hours after birth. If I had had a c-section under the epidural I would have been able to hold DS as soon as he was taken out, unfortunately it did not work that way for me.

I went on and had a VBAC with DD with no issues and was able to hold her while birthing the placenta, which was amazing.

My sister just had her first. She did not dilate past 4, and her baby was not descending. He had the cord wrapped around his head! The epidural worked for her. She was in a different hospital then I had been in, since she lives 600 miles away. She was able to hold her DS as soon as he was born and while she was being stitched up. Baby was taken after the first half hour or so to be cleaned up, etc, but she was able to hold him and nurse in the OR room while her c-section was being closed.

So both emergency c-sections, with completely different results!

My dh was able to hold her right after she was delivered and they brought her to me so that I could try to feed her. My Doc was very much let the baby eat from mom as soon after delivery as possible. I had gone through about 10 hours of labor with no drugs when they had to do an emergency C-section.

Let me encourage you. My first was an unplanned c-section. It was a horrid experience! Not dilating, up and down meds., 21 hours of labor, not holding my baby, adverse reaction to anesthesia, ect... All this after planning a home birth!

My two planned c- sections were very different. As an example, with my second dd I went into the operating room at 1:00 p.m. at 1:45 I was in my room holding her and feeding her. I was wide awake, yes there was the pain, but I was very much more myself. With my third is was pretty much the same. I am pregnant again and will have a fourth c-section. Turns out I have a tilted crev. I had to let go of my expectations,and just relax.

Not your fault at all and I am so sorry this happened to you.

I was asleep for my emergency C-section with my last. I think I finally got to see him about 12 hours later -- they wheeled my hospital bed down to the nursery so I could look at him in his oxygen bubble. I didn't get to hold him until four days later in the NICU. I am so relieved that he is fine now I really don't feel anything else.

Sometimes I do question if my overdoing things worsened my situation. Sometimes I feel a tiny bit guilty that he was "evicted" before he was ready. I had an undiagnosed placenta previa (despite two Level II ultrasounds). I started bleeding at 30 weeks and went to the hospital on bed rest for 10 days. They were about to let me go home when the bleeding started again. 12 hours later my blood pressure crashed and they put me under and delivered him.

If only my previa had been identified. If only my DH had not been TDY for training during my entire pregnancy. If only I had not been home alone caring for a 4 and 2 year old. I ask myself a lot.

But he is fine now and all is OK, thanks be to God.

:grouphug:

I would think this is typical after having an unplanned section. My first was an unplanned section. I WORKED in L&D and saw numerous c-sections. I was totally unprepared for MY c-section!

It never even entered my mind that I would have one. I was disappointed and frustrated after the fact. I felt like it was my fault, numerous people "jokingly" said I took the easy way out ETC. The thing is it was an emergency c-section, I had almost no amniotic fluid when they broke my water, there was meconium, and his HR kept dropping. I didn't take the "easy way out". I took the way that would insure my ds would live.

I think so many of us have high expectations of what our delivery experiences are going to be or should be. They don't always work out the way we want.

After my first ds was born, they checked him over he was fine and dh brought him over to me to show me. I was very panicky and was just concentrating on breathing. I could have held him but I didn't want to at that point.

My 2nd and 3rd ds, were both planned c-sections. I held both of them but I was still panicky. I think it just has to do with being in the middle of a serious surgery, having the baby, hormones, and the meds. Surgery in and of itself is a big deal!! I know with my second 2 I got really panicky when they were giving me the epidural. I think I started both of those days on the high of "Yay! We're having the baby today!" then when it got down to it I almost forget that "oh crap, I'm having major surgery today!"

This time around I'm trying to prepare myself. Surgery first then baby.

I had a "crash" C section, which made me REALLY happy I'd finally done an epidural (I was vomiting non-stop from the pain, my typical pain reaction, and couldn't dream of pushing while retching), as they were able to roar me into the surgical suite and get 'er done. Kiddo's heart rate was plummeting, and his eyebrows were stuck in the pre-crown position.

I saw them bathe kiddo. Hubby helped turn my head, because the spinal had crept up a bit, and I was numb from the chin down for about 2 minutes and was having to concentrate on using the accessory muscles in my chest to breath. Yowie!

Next, kiddo disappeared with my doula and hubby, and I found out, typically, he was having an extended photo-shoot with the newborn. :)

I was in recovery and shivering violently, not from cold but from what I thought was anesthesia recovery. They brought me kiddo and I said I didn't think I could hold him safely, so the nurse propped me on my side and lay him next to me. He rooted about and started to mouth my nipple, at which point ALL shivering ceased immediately. I think I was shivering in a kind of physiological panic of being away from baby. I didn't "feel" it in my brain, but my body spoke.

Really, I was just so happy to have a healthy baby with good apgars, I didn't care which orifice he came out of.

:grouphug: Hope this helps, somehow.

I had the same shivering, that stopped as soon as I nursed. I watched a friend that had a vaginal birth have the same shivers, that also stopped when the baby nursed. The doctor didn't believe me that nursing would stop the shivers but my friend tried it anyway and both she and the doctor were amazed. (don't get me started on how it's possible the doctor didn't know this)

Fwiw, I had a planned c-section (monoamniotic twins - only safe way to deliver them), and I was scared while they were adjusting the anesthesia. I could breathe, but it felt like I couldn't - it felt like there were huge weights pressing down on my chest, and I said the Jesus prayer over and over, which kept the panic at bay. But it was scary - I knew what was coming and it was still scary. So I think being scared when you didn't know what to expect makes even more sense. I'm sorry you had such a hard time.

Can't help you with seeing them or not; after a kiss for each, my girls were whisked to the NICU because they were so early.

I had an unplanned C-section with my first child, ds. They made a mistake with the epidural and I was numb from the neck down not stomach down. I couldn't feel myself breathe and I couldn't move my arms at all. It wasn't until 24 hours later that I was able to move my arms and some time after that I was able to hold ds.

The only satisfaction I got was that they forgot to have me sign the voluntary waiver and were sweating it out for 24 hours until I could actually hold a pen and sign it.

When I brought ds home he loved to be held and we were very well bonded so it wasn't a concern.

When I had dd I was also not dialating and they gave me an additional medication along with pitocin so she was born quickly and with no problems.

I react with this same violent shivering every time I come up from anesthesia. It really bothers dh every time, even though he has seen happen 4-5 times over the years. We just tell the nurses to PILE several (like 5) warm blankets on me and it goes away much, much faster. The heat and pressure combination is what does it for me. I get the feeling it is pretty common as it doesn't concern the nurses beyond just getting me comfortable.

I also will shiver fiercely if I get over tired so, for me, I think it is an extension/exaggeration of this body response.

ETA: I did some looking around online and it seems like while shaking/shivering is quite common after surgery, the cause is unknown. Common therapies are a small dose of Demerol or morphine. I have a slew of drug allergies so I am guessing that is why they only use blankets on me.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

My dd was born via unplanned C-section at 37 weeks. I went in for my routine checkup, and they found that my blood pressure was dangerously high due to preeclampsia. They sent me right over to the hospital to induce me, but as soon as they started me on the pitocin and the magnesium sulfate, I began to have agonizing chest pain. Between that and the fact that I have uncontrolled epilepsy, and with my blood pressure as high as it was, we all opted for the C-section. Putting myself and my dd at that much risk just for the sake of a natural birth seemed idiotic.

I didn't get to hold dd for a couple hours because her breathing was a bit uneven, though they did hold her up for me to see for a few moments right after they took her out (at which point I immediately began sobbing and blubbering, lol). After lying in my room for two hours waiting to see her, I finally told the nurses that either dd was coming into my room or I was going to drag myself down the hallway to the nursery. They brought her in, and naturally, as soon as I held her her breathing problems disappeared. She had quite a few unrelated problems after that, but everything worked out in the end.

There are things I would do differently knowing what I know today, and I was really, really sad for a long time after dd was born because I felt like I had somehow failed. I've slowly healed, though, and it doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

Need to add, when you've not been through a c-section before, I think the unknown can be stressful. I know I was a little unnerved by the whole experience. I think hospital personnel who are used to c-sections may not be as in tune to the fact that it's not the norm for you. Hopefully it will go better for you next time around!

HTH!

:iagree: My first c-section was scheduled but became an emergency situation when I start bleeding uncontrollably due to a very large fibroid. It did not go well and I was very stressed about having another baby. I did, had a scheduled c-section. It was a breeze - got the baby back to nurse in recovery. She was laid on my chest in the ER. No problems 2nd time around!

with my twins I gave birth to one and then had an emergency c-section with the other. I did not see the first twin except for a brief second. He had trouble breathing. I ended up under general anesthesia for the second. In recovery, I got to hold a baby. I was shaking SOOOOO hard from the anesthesia that the video is actually funny/scary to watch. I was very happy to hold a baby, and shaking so hard you can feel everyone around me braced to catch a falling child, lol.

None of this seems particularly bad or sad to me. Yes, others both babies were held by others before me. Both are 13 now and neither failed in any way to bond with me. I'm so happy that they were healthy and that for all the trauma of the delivery, everyone is okay. Don't feel guilty, and try to enjoy your birth story even if it's not the way you envisioned it.

Ditto, including emergency c-section due to ruptured placenta, instructing my husband to stay with the baby and am now wondering if LemonPie is my long lost twin? Strangely enough I also had a med-free birth, c-section and and epidural as well.

Hearing Twilight Zone music? :D

When I woke up, I couldn't see the baby right away either. Not before they got me to my room. I have missed his first three hours of life.

2 yrs later, it still bothers me from time to time that I missed the first couple of hours of my daughter's life. :grouphug:

I agree with the people who recommended ICAN too. People kept saying things like, "You're fine, baby's fine, just be grateful that you're both here and well!" Well, I WAS grateful. More grateful than I can say. That doesn't change the fact that it was the single most traumatic experience of my life and I was still processing! It was nice to talk to people who 'got it'.

Go somewhere that has policies that fit your view of birth even if they're completely different than mine. If you are planning another baby, seriously look into VBACs and other birth alternatives before making a decision about a birth provider. I birthed at home with a midwife to avoid a c-section because of my size. At a size 1 with a 6'2" husband the odds were HUGE I would get a c-section.

avoiding a c-section:

I labored for 44 hours before dilating with my first child at 40 weeks after going into labor on my own. I went to 10cm dilated and pushed out a perfectly healthy daughter at 48 hours into labor. (ALOT can change in 4 hours.) The last hour of labor required being on oxygen because her heart rate dropped, but the oxygen sent it right back up to normal. I don't believe in inductions before week 42 into pregnancy unless vital signs are indicating immediate (not possible) danger. I'm not a good candidate for a hospital birth with most OBs because of my views on birth. Homebirth and free standing birth center midwives rarely recommend inductions. My midwife's transfer for a c-section rate is 1 in 80.

needing a c-section:

My second homebirth transferred to a hospital for an emergency c-section because the placenta started tearing off (a known possibility we were prepared to transfer for.) She was pulled out after the placenta came out and was perfectly healthy. I am delighted, thrilled, and happy to have had a c-section because it was appropriate in those circumstances. This kind of thing is exactly what c-sections are for. It was a general anesthetic, and with the hemorrhaging it meant blood transfusions, so I wasn't conscious for the first day. I vomited violently and had a psychological reaction and an allergic reaction the morphine they gave me. My husband held her for me to nurse for the first two days while the blood transfusions happened. We were home 4 days after she was born and we made up for lost time.

While it's not the birth I wanted or planned, because it was the only reasonable option, it was a blessing. I'm going to guess your angst may be rooted in wondering if you really NEEDED a c-section in your situation. I have no way of knowing if it was. The people I know who had them (like a friend who planned her second homebirth but had to transfer to a hospital for a c-section because the cord was tangled and dropping the baby's heart rate-her daughter was born surgically in prefect health) and seem to be happy with them are those who had a clear cut reason with no other option. In the US we have a 1 in 3 c-section rate that frankly, is inexcusable. It makes many women wonder about theirs because there is no WAY 1 in 3 is out of absolute necessity.

bonding issues:

My youngest child is adopted. The first time I set eyes on her and held her she was 7 months old in an airport terminal. While the bonding process was different, we were bonded fairly quickly in spite of her attachment issues related to losing her foster mother and coming to a new family. I wish I could have been with her the moment she was born, but it was not possible.

My first one was an emergency c-section due to preeclampsia. They started to take him out of the room until I stopped them and said "Don't I get to see him?!" And then I didn't get to see him for over an hour while in recovery.

My second was another emergency c-section, only early at 32 weeks. I told them ahead of time what had happened last time, and that I wanted to see him before they took him away. That time I got to see him and touch him, tiny as he was. It was a good thing I insisted, because I had a bad reaction to the anesthesia, and I couldn't stand up or sit in a wheelchair to see him in the NICU for over 36 hours.

If you do have another baby by c-section just make sure they know what you want. I don't think you can get out of not seeing him/her during recovery, but you can see him/her when they come out, and know that your dh is with them.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I had a planned c-section (2 natural births before that) and thought it was quite awful. I was nervous about it to start with and didn't feel comfortable with my docs, which was part of it, but I didn't know that they were adding exponentially to my stress until much later... but I digress.

I cried through the whole thing. I thought it was terrible. I did not like the sensation of them yanking on me even though I didn't feel pain, exactly. The doctor and his assistants completely ignored the fact that I was awake and said nothing to reassure me or tell me what they were doing. I did get to see my baby when they were done; dh got to hold him before they took him away, but then when I was in recovery I had to send dh to find the baby because they didn't bring him in for what seemed like an eternity. I was not amused. I was ready to get up and find him myself (except that I couldn't feel my legs). All in all I thought it was a thoroughly unpleasant experience.

I don't think your experience was out of the realm of normal and I'm sure they all understood! Women in labor do all kinds of things that we wouldn't do otherwise. I remember my birth class instructor telling us about a lady whose husband was on the phone in her room constantly and apparently being rather loud. She was in her rocking chair until she had enough; then she calmly got up and ripped the phone out of the wall. :lol: All things considered, I think you were fairly innocuous.

I thought having a planned one was bad enough; I can't imagine an unplanned/emergency situation. I 'm so sorry you had to deal with that! :grouphug: Kiss your sweet baby on the head for me.

2 yrs later, it still bothers me from time to time that I missed the first couple of hours of my daughter's life. :grouphug:

:iagree: I tear up almost every time I think of those precious hours I missed. My only regret about my labor/birth experience was not being more forceful about my baby being brought to me in recovery. We were both healthy and stable, but some nursery nurse was on a power trip, and I was on too many drugs to make a big enough stink. I didn't get to hold him for about three hours. I would happily re live the 37 hours of back labor to get those three hours without him back.

My c section was a homebirth transfer, and it was hard to accept my reality when I wanted to be home snuggling my babe in our family bed.

The thing that makes it easier for me is that, although we weren't in any

immediate danger, I knew in both my mind and heart that we really needed that section. I had pushed for seven hours (five at home, two at the hospital) in every conceivable way. At one point I had three different styles of birthing stool in my living room. We even tried the old Ina May suggestion of some alone time making out with the hubby. Try getting in the mood for that after three hours of pushing. :tongue_smilie: I poured every ounce of myself into getting that baby out, but it just wasn't the way it needed to be. At some point, I just knew it was time. I looked my midwife in the eye, she nodded her head yes, and we both knew to call in the anesthesiologist.

The little guy was posterior (which we knew), but he was also asynclitic.

It was a difficult c section because he was so wedged in there. I had a nurse pushing him up from inside my v@gina, and the doctor was pulling so hard she was practically on top of me. My uterus ended up tearing from the end of my incision through my right uterine artery. I lost a fair amount of blood, but they were able to save my uterus, and I didn't need an infusion. The baby and I had perfect vitals through the whole ordeal.

Because of the c section complications, I'm not a VBAC candidate. I'm supposed to avoid laboring again, so sections will need to be scheduled for 39 weeks. After coming to grips with the whole situation, I'm actually pretty positive about having a future planned c section. I know I will have the time to make all of my wishes clear, I can pick my doctor, and I expect recovery to be much easier if I go in after a full night of sleep instead of a day and a half of labor.

:grouphug:

My DS was born via c-section after 44-hours of induction and labor - his heart rate was dropping and my water had been broke for almost 36-hours at that point, I was developing a fever and was pretty exhausted by that point....all that taken together, the decision was made and I was wheeled into the OR.

We now know I am tolerant of local anesthestic - my epidural failed shortly after the start, so the surgery was horrific as the anesthesiologist couldn't get me under, my BP kept crashing and I was puking up a storm from the stress....it was only a morphine infusion in my spine that "took the edge off" the blow-torch pain.

But, DH was there through it all, and was able to hold DS in the OR, bring him to my head for me to see him and I had a clear line of site to the Ohio where they cleaned him off and did his AGPAR's. Shortly after settling in in the recovery area, DS was brought to me to breastfeed and since I had little to no effect from any anesthesia (which sucked but was also a blessing) he stayed with me until I was ready to go to my room.

At the moment I'm close to my due date for our second and this one will be a planned c-section....after going through all the options available for epidural and spinal, I have no good options being tolerant to the local anesthetics, so I have to have a general. To me, that's what sucks...I can't be awake - but we're opting to epidural with local (I do numb on the outside with local), do a fast-acting general that will allow me to be brought to awake in the OR while they're closing, after they've infused morphine in my spine (since we know that does work).....so while I won't be awake for this baby's arrival into the world, I will be at least conscious before we depart the OR and head into recovery.....and the OB has already placed orders in my chart for the baby to be given to me (barring any disasters) in the OR, then immediately in recovery so I can initiate BF'ing.

Thank you all for the stories, thoughts, and resources. I'm overwhelmed! I'm also so humbled that so many would share their stories with me and that these stories are helping me be OK with DS' birth.

I am hoping for a VBAC, but realize that may be tough. I do have a midwife who works in an OB practice and they are supportive of VBACs. I had no complications from the c-section, so from that end it's certainly possible.

:grouphug: to all! Thank you.