Menu

If you cook 3 meals a day. . .

how do you have time to do anything else? I cooked 3 meals a day for the days that the in-laws were visiting over the holidays and after the prep, cooking, eating, and clean-up were completed, it was almost time to start prep for the next meal.

It made me very grateful that we normally don't eat like that. It also made me wonder if some families do routinely cook 3 meals a day and how they find time to do anything else.

Pegasus

Even when my ds was younger and I was not working outside the home, I either cooked some eggs for us or he had some type of cereal - not a big affair. Lunch was similar, he made his own pbj sandwich or ate fruit. When he was too young to get his own, I just let him choose among a few things.

The one meal I always spend time on was the evening meal when we were at home.

I do. We have too many food allergies/intolerances to be able to get away with not cooking a meal. :( Sometimes I can get away without cooking breakfast, but it's not every day.

It's hectic, that's all I can say. :tongue_smilie: Also, because of food intolerances, I'm often cooking 2 different meals for each meal so that ends up being a lot of pots and pans to clean.

I run my dishwasher a lot. I've taught my kids to load and unload it properly and I make sure that I always stay on top of dishes. I save the school-aged kids independent work for when I must cook. After meals, when I must clean up they do their independent reading or sometimes read aloud to me.

I've stocked up on glass tupperware so I do try to cook double of some things to save on the amount of cooking the next day, but leftovers only last so long, so that's only minimally helpful.

I guess for me, it's just become my reality. Either I cook that many meals per day or my kids go hungry or malnourished. If they eat what they are intolerant to they get violently ill so "cheating" is not really an option.

I should add that while I'm cooking up to 6 meals per day, they're not fancy- I'm talking simple spaghetti, meatballs and rice, soups, etc. Probably not the sorts of things you were feeding your extended family and guests.

I rarely cook breakfast. My boys cook for themselves or eat cereal, yogurt, toast, granola, etc... Sandwiches, fruit and chips daily for lunch. Occasionally we'll have homemade bean burritos. The kids reheat the beans themselves (made from scratch in my pressure cooker) and throw them in a tortilla. I probably cook dinner from scratch 4-5 days/week. I make huge quantities because they eat so much, but also so I'll have leftovers, which we eat on the nights I don't cook. Also, unless we're having company, I don't do multiple course meals. My mom used to have a meat, two vegetables, a fruit, and a bread at each dinner, all accompanied by a glass of milk and followed by dessert. I'm not that fancy. Dinner last night was Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup with salad (mostly just romaine lettuce and cherry tomatoes with a few grated carrots on top) and a $0.99 loaf of french bread from Sprouts. So really, all I cooked was the soup. That's pretty typical.

Oh, I do make lots of homemade desserts. Baking is my thing. In a given week, I probably make 3-4 batches of dessert, i.e. cookies, bars, cupcakes, brownies, pies, caramel corn. We're big dessert eaters over here.

Also, my kids clean the kitchen and run the dishwasher several times a day.

Edited by ThelmaLou
edit

how do you have time to do anything else? I cooked 3 meals a day for the days that the in-laws were visiting over the holidays and after the prep, cooking, eating, and clean-up were completed, it was almost time to start prep for the next meal.

It made me very grateful that we normally don't eat like that. It also made me wonder if some families do routinely cook 3 meals a day and how they find time to do anything else.

Pegasus

I guess it depends on your definition of 'cook'. :tongue_smilie:

I make all our meals and we don't eat anything processed or pre-made because of food allergies. But I only really 'cook' dinner. I'll make the kids toast with a nut butter and some fresh fruit for breakfast. Or homemade muffins with butter and fruit on the side. We mostly eat leftover dinners for lunch (I purposely make enough to have leftovers for this reason). If we don't have leftovers or just want something else, we make it up as we go. I don't see anything wrong with the kids having rice crackers, cheese slices, apples and blueberries for lunch, for example. It may look a little weird, but it's healthy, whole food.

I may occasionally cook something for breakfast or lunch if I'm feeling inspired, but I see making 3 complicated meals a day as a quick route to cooking burnout.

We do simple breakfast: Oatmeal, Eggs & toast, yogurt and fruit, bagels, muffins

Lunch: Sandwich, Soup and Salad like stuff

Dinner: This is the one which takes the most work. However there are some quick ones for busy evenings

Snacks: Kept simple cheese, crackers, fruit, string cheese, veggies, cereal

We have three meals a day always, but I don't necessarily cook large meals for each one.

Some mornings I may "go all out" and do french toast, or waffles, or pancakes. LOL But usually its oatmeal, or cold cereal, or sometimes poached eggs (pretty easy and my oldest knows how to do this).

Lunch is often leftovers warmed up from last night's dinner, or sandwiches, soup, mac-n-cheese (the kind that comes out of a box lol). Its usually quick and easy stuff. I don't have recipes I follow for lunch. lol

Dinner is often cooked, full meals. Some nights though we'll just do pizza or some other "fun meal" that doesn't require much or any cooking.

Clean-up isn't usually done right away. lol Usually I'll do a load of dishes in the morning (or someone else will) and one in the evening.

Pegasus

I cook 3 meals a day, but they're not all big affairs. Breakfast is fairly simple most days. Eggs take minutes to cook. I pre-cook bacon in big batches in the oven and then freeze them, so it's a simple matter of warming them up in a pan. Or, we might do oatmeal, or some similar easy dish. There is always fruit for breakfast.

Lunches are simple, too. Soup is our go-to lunch. I usually do that in the crockpot by putting in all on right before bed and letting it cook on low. Or, I will go to my home-canned soups for a quick meal. Technically, that's not really cooking. It's just re-heating, but some days that has to count, too. Sometimes we do a sandwich or wrap. We always have cut up veggies, but I do a bunch at once to keep in the fridge. If it's warm, we might have more salads. If we have enough leftovers from a supper, that will be lunch.

Supper is the only meal that is time-consuming for me, and even that time can be greatly reduced with simple prep-ahead tips like pre-cooking ground beef as soon as you buy it. I'll also pre-mix meatballs and meatloaf and freeze those, so that I only have to thaw and bake. I also make casseroles ahead and freeze them. I make enough casserole to make one dinner and lunch leftovers, so I've covered 2 meals instead of one.

I use the crockpot a lot -- especially for lunches, but also for suppers. I just got a new crockpot (bigger and a different style) for Yule, so I could, potentially, cook cook lunch and supper in the crockpot at the same time. I haven't done that yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

I think if you can simplify your menus, prep ahead, and organize your time in the kitchen, you will be able to keep the work to a minimum. As for clean-up, employ other family members to assist. If they can eat it up, they can help clean it up.

Edited by Audrey

I typically cook 3 meals a day and yes it's a lot of time spent in the kitchen, but there are definite ways to cut your time down. I do a lot of my "prep work" ahead of time on the weekends. I'll chop onions and peppers or juice limes or whatever in big batches on a weekend afternoon and then freeze them in small usable batches. I cook beans and saucy soupy type things also on the weekends when they have all day to cook then I just freeze them in batches that are good for a meal or two. I'll buy meat and clean it and season it and separate it into ziplocks that are enough for a meal or two do that kind of work on the weekends. Then during the week when I'm busy, a lot of the time I just have to bring something down from the freezer like for example a ziplock bag of chicken that is already cleaned and seasoned and a tupperware container of black beans say. I take those down in the morning before school and let them defrost during the day and then I just have to make breakfast and lunch, usually something simple or something that is leftover in the fridge from the day before like pasta or something like that. And then for dinner, I just have to cook rice to go with the beans and toss the already seasoned chicken in the pan and cook it and heat up the beans. And I have a whole homecooked meal that doesn't take too much time to make since the prep was already done. That's typically how I do things. It really helps a lot during the week when I'm busy. :) HTH. :)

I haven't read the other posts, but, this is what I do.

Pre-cooking and preparing things ahead of time! It helps so much.

I spend one day (usually Saturday) in the kitchen browning hamburger, making stock, pre-cooking chicken, shredding cheese, etc. It saves a TON of time during the week. I live in a country where almost everything I do is from scratch, not much prepackaged stuff at all. I don't have to spend all day physically in my kitchen, but, I do have to be there most of the morning.

I also prewash and, if possible, pre chop my stuff as well. It just helps.

Also, menu planning is a must for me. I know what I'm going to be making and I have it all ready to go the night before so I don't have to interrupt school to make lunch, etc. It works well once you get a routine down.

Pegasus

Leftovers.

I reheat the leftovers for dinner or lunch depending on our mood. So really I'm only cooking 2 meals a day, reheating leftovers. I double or triple dinner recipes. And if I'm lucky I can get a third meal. I cook from scratch because of food allergies.

I "cook big" and we eat leftovers a lot. About half the time, I make eggs/grits/oatmeal for brekkie. The rest of the time, the kids have cereal/yogurt/fruit/etc. Lunch is either leftovers or something quick. I do try to cook for dinner, but we sometimes have leftovers. I am a disorganized cook...I will make mashed potatoes at 10 am because it hit me that I have potatoes and time to make them. I might grill steaks at 5 pm and pull out the potatoes then and stick a fruit with it. We are gluten free so we eat a bit differently than some folks. No one is complaining too much, though, and they are all well nourished.:D

yes, well...sort of. in the morning, our choices are always the same. we usually enjoy eggs. i vary them by adding in different ingredients (yesterday was tomato & spinach omelet...today was broccoli & cheese, etc). i also freeze muffins, pancakes, yogurt & fruit, or we have oat meal or toast. those are the only real choices for breakfast. lunch is usually a quick fix. either we eat leftovers from last night's supper or have grilled cheese with soup, sandwiches & salads, etc. always simple & quick. dinner is always planned here. i shop 2x month only & meal plan for 2 weeks (with each shopping trip i plan for half the month). instead of "assigning" what we'll eat each night, i simply have a list of dinner choices & i'll cross them off as we eat them. anyway...this works well for us.

I love to cook! I grew up cooking for branding crews and the like, and I really enjoy it! Lots of stews, roasts, chilis, etc. The flip side is that I also love to cook large multi-course gourmet meals for special occasions. My dm taught me many techniques of french cooking, and I love to cook in that style.

That said, I find that I have to pretty organized and motivated to keep up with 4 dc, all of whom have big appetites, and a dh who works outside all day, and also brings a large appetite to the table. I do a lot of things ahead. I try to always have large batches of brown rice and whole wheat pasta cooked and in the fridge. That way, I can heat those things up for lunch, throw together a protein and a salad, and away we go. I also like to have a good vegetable soup on hand. Again, cooking a protein doesn't take much time, if you have the side dishes done.

My dc do kitchen duty. They rotate 1 day each, cleaning up after meals, and setting the table for me, etc. For a long time, I tried doing it all myself, but my dh trained the children to help me, bless his heart, and now my job is easier.

As others have said, I try to do as much prep as possible on week-ends. It just makes the week go more smoothly, and then I'm not overwhelmed by the magnitude of food consumption going on in our house! :)

Some mornings I may "go all out" and do french toast . . .

Funny. I consider french toast one of our quick and easy breakfasts. Wish an egg in a deep plate, place a slice of bread into it, big bowl of berries into the microwave, flip the bread, put the pan on to heat, bread into pan, flip, done, plate it, spoon berries on top, drizzle with maple syrup. It's one of our favorite quick breakfasts.

*I* think it's wholesome, too. An egg for protein, a slice of ww bread, mound of delicious, wholesome berries (I have a mix of blue- and blackberries; my daughter usually has raspberries) and a wee drizzle of real maple syrup for good measure.

Maybe 5 minutes?

I don't actually "cook" 3 meals a day, but we don't do processed food or go out to eat, which is what I assume you mean.

Breakfast foods, 5 to 6 days a week, is something that I make ahead of time. Scrambled egg muffins, home made granola cereal, reheated pancakes, fruit and yogurt.

I rarely serve a hot lunch. Lunch is usually a help yourself deal for everyone but the youngest two. We have fruit, cheese, crackers/bread, raw veggies, nuts, etc. Sometimes there's left-overs, homemade pizzas or sandwiches.

Dinner is the only meal that really needs cooking daily for us.

I don't because I honestly don't like all of my food/meals cooked.

I prefer things like oatmeal or cereal with nuts for breakfast.

I prefer light, snacky things for lunch. Sometimes I'll steam spinach and cook some egg whites for me, but I also like yogurt, fruit, cottage cheese, baby carrots, almonds, etc. The boys usually have a sandwich of some sort with a cheese stick, fruit, carrots, etc.

I also don't think it's healthy to have everything cooked. Finally, I really don't want my life to boil down to meal preparation. I think we should learn to eat more simply and have time for other things.

For those who serve fresh fruit and cut up veggies....which ones? My kids are picky and I need to fit in more fruits and veggies. Right now we're cereal or oatmeal for breakfast, fend for yourself for luncha nd cook dinner.

Brownie

My daughter is mad for broccoli. I steam or nuke it and toss with a drizzle of olive oil, squeeze of lemon, and grind of salt. She would eat this to the exclusion of all else if I let her, I think.

She also loves raspberries. I heat them in the microwave or stove and serve them in small punch cups so she can eat the berries and drink the remaining juice.

We usually have frozen fruit during the winter.

For those who serve fresh fruit and cut up veggies....which ones? My kids are picky and I need to fit in more fruits and veggies. Right now we're cereal or oatmeal for breakfast, fend for yourself for luncha nd cook dinner.

Brownie

Just speaking raw here:

Ben loves fruits and veggies. Nathan's my picky one, so I feel your pain. He would live on grilled cheese and cheese sticks, if I let him.

Nathan will eat cucumbers like crazy and will eat baby carrots if I tell him to. He will eat apples (peeled), pears and bananas.

Ben loves: cucumbers, carrots (esp. with ranch dressing), celery, salad. He likes almost all fruits but loves apples, grapes, berries, bananas , and clementines/oranges. I don't think there's a fruit we've had that he won't eat. He also loves steamed broccoli.

I try to pair a vegetable or fruit with a protein for Ben. So raspberries go with milk and a sprinkling of sugar. Celery is paired with peanut butter. Apples get cheese slices and crackers. Bananas are usually eaten on a sandwich with honey and peanut butter.

Edited by nestof3

I forgot one big thing I do that others mentioned as well, multitask. Start the eggs while I am working on loading the dishwasher or something. I don't go off to another room, unless it is something like muffins that take a bit to cook. Most things you don't have to stand right there. We do fruit a lot as well as snacks and with breakfast- just basic stuff- what is in season and cheaper usually. We just eat it fresh.

I do it, and it gets easier when you know your recipes.

Hi Tess! :)

We have issues too. My son has a LOT of food allergies. I am celiac so no gluten. I had to relearn how to cook so I wasn't making two meals. Now it's pretty easy. Dishes don't get easier though!!!

My mom isn't a huge fan of this (she's pretty picky which has been hard for her since having celiac), but I like cooked rice with cinnamon, sugar or maple syrup, nuts and some sort of milk (almond, coconut, rice, cow, whatever).

I also like oats (my mom's able to eat the gluten-free kind) combined with lightly sauteed diced apples, cinnamon and nuts (usually walnuts or pecans) and some sort of milk. I sautee the apple in some coconut oil.

My daughter is mad for broccoli. I steam or nuke it and toss with a drizzle of olive oil, squeeze of lemon, and grind of salt. She would eat this to the exclusion of all else if I let her, I think.

She also loves raspberries. I heat them in the microwave or stove and serve them in small punch cups so she can eat the berries and drink the remaining juice.

We usually have frozen fruit during the winter.

That is SO awesome! She will be a very healthy person if she keeps eating like that. Great job mom! :hurray: :)

Probably repeats, but:

We eat a lot of raw foods, so I only have to cook a bit of the meal (meat, grain.)

We eat a lot of rice and fish. Rice cooks on its own in the rice cooker. Fish cooks in a few minutes, as do steamed veggies.

My dc cook breakfast and a few dinners a week. Dh cooks dinner once or twice a week and breakfast/lunch on weekends sometimes.

I prepare foods when we buy them as much as possible. When we get home from the meat market or produce market, we cut things up, cook some of the meat to freeze, etc.

I make soup and we reheat it and add some bread and fruit and call it a meal for the next two days. :)

Edited by angela in ohio

For those who serve fresh fruit and cut up veggies....which ones?

I have four children, so not all the veggies appeal to all the kids, but our veggie selection is: carrots, celery, cucumber, grape tomatoes, and black olives. Not one of them will eat raw broccoli or cauliflower...yet.

For fruit: apples, pears, and grapes year round, in addition to pineapple, cantaloupe, honeydew melon and oranges when I can get them.

Funny. I consider french toast one of our quick and easy breakfasts. Wish an egg in a deep plate, place a slice of bread into it, big bowl of berries into the microwave, flip the bread, put the pan on to heat, bread into pan, flip, done, plate it, spoon berries on top, drizzle with maple syrup. It's one of our favorite quick breakfasts.

*I* think it's wholesome, too. An egg for protein, a slice of ww bread, mound of delicious, wholesome berries (I have a mix of blue- and blackberries; my daughter usually has raspberries) and a wee drizzle of real maple syrup for good measure.

Maybe 5 minutes?

LOL well you have to remember that I have five kids. Its not a quick meal at all! We're talking more like 30 min at minimum. It takes a whole loaf of bread if I'm just feeding the kids and myself. About 4-6 eggs. I mix milk in the eggs to get it to stretch more.

I cook 3 meals a day and I find that it takes up a lot more time than I want it to. I get tired of being in the kitchen most days.

Don't have advice, (other than to see if you can convince someone else to clean up after dinner) but this reminded me of two things my dh has said in the past:

We were looking at buying a house and I was saying how I'd have to like the kitchen. My poor dh said, "Well, what's it really matter? It's not like anyone spends that much time in the kitchen anyway." I think he had to listen to me riff on that for a good 20 minutes.

Another time, dh and I went on a diet where we had to pick certain foods to eat. DH picked different foods and, due to his work schedule, ate them at different times from me. This meant he had to make 3 meals and a snack for himself for 10 days. About the 4th day in, he was at the kitchen counter and he slumped over and whimpered, "All this cooking is really hard work!" I think I said something annoying and unsupportive to him like, "Welcome to my world."

LOL well you have to remember that I have five kids. Its not a quick meal at all! We're talking more like 30 min at minimum. It takes a whole loaf of bread if I'm just feeding the kids and myself. About 4-6 eggs. I mix milk in the eggs to get it to stretch more.

Oh, no I didnt' think about multiplying by 5 at all! Girl, you need chickens!

I hate cooking so no way would I cook three meals a day for anyone... myself included-LOL. Actually I do almost anything to avoid cooking at all. I will rather go hungry than cook. But, I will bake-LOL.

For me to cook it has to be simple and fast. I love the oven!!!! Just prep and bake... that is my way of cooking. Oh and crock pots.

Well if by "cook" you mean: the kids can make their own bowls of cereal, lunch is a sandwich or soup, etc., and then I cook dinner...then it's not that bad. :D

:iagree: This is us here... except Dh cooks dinner half the time at least.

I hate cooking so unless it is simple... I don't do it. General rule of thumb for me is about 15 minute prep time, and throw it in the oven or crock pot and walk away until it is ready to eat.

I love to cook! I grew up cooking for branding crews and the like, and I really enjoy it! Lots of stews, roasts, chilis, etc. The flip side is that I also love to cook large multi-course gourmet meals for special occasions. My dm taught me many techniques of french cooking, and I love to cook in that style.

Jackie will you please come and be my cook!!!!!??????? :lol::lol:

Brownie

Depends on my kids.. Most of my family will eat at least some sort of fresh fruit and veggies. I just try to keep a variety on hand. Either they eat it or go hungry.

Ds#1 will only eat broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, bananas, canned peaches for fruits/veggies.

Dd, Ds#2, Ds#3 will eat more. They will some times munch on broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, apples, pears, bananas, strawberries, grapes, blueberries, cherries, pineapple, watermelon.

None of my kids like cantaloupe but Dh likes it.

I cook three meals a day here. I use small plates (corelle) or in a pinch paper for lunch, and I keep lunches simple. My dishwasher runs daily, but with the smaller dishes, most days only once at night. (The paper vs. dishwasher is something I have gone round and round about. We can recycle the paper and do.)

Clean as I go, and I've learned how to not destroy the kitchen as I prepare meals. If someone else cooks....every dish, pot and pan ends up dirty:glare:.

It's hard work (to me), but we have food allergies and intolerances (gluten, dairy, soy and egg) along with dh's high cholesterol here so there really isn't much choice.

Gluten, soy, dairy, and egg free convenience foods are pricey so we can't do those daily.

So around here all meals and snacks are prepared from scratch. Now some snacks are easy, like cut up fruit and veggies, but my boys actually need more protein in order to stay full and since cheese and eggs are out I have to usually come up with something more creative.

Someone else mentioned that it's easier when your doing it everyday and this is very true mainly because your in a routine and your mind automatically is thinking about food prep all the time.

Whenever we go away for even just the weekend, it's so hard to get back into the routine of things and to wrap my mind around all the cooking again.

We were looking at buying a house and I was saying how I'd have to like the kitchen. My poor dh said, "Well, what's it really matter? It's not like anyone spends that much time in the kitchen anyway." I think he had to listen to me riff on that for a good 20 minutes.

LOL. I'd say 20 minutes was letting him off way too easy, myself.

Like many of the other posters, I cook 3 meals plus snacks daily, but generally it's not very elaborate, especially for breakfast and lunch.

That said, when we visited my ILs recently and my MIL did all the cooking/meal planning, it was awesome beyond measure.

Well if by "cook" you mean: the kids can make their own bowls of cereal, lunch is a sandwich or soup, etc., and then I cook dinner...then it's not that bad. :D

:iagree: Plus, paper plates!! Love those around here. Funny, but somehow I felt OK with that when I read the Duggar's book and she uses only paper plates. No styrofoam, mind you. That stuff just looks creepy to me:confused:

For lunch, my dcs usually fix something on their own. I have two soup eaters, one sandwich guy and one that loves quesadillas or wraps. If I cooked one meal for lunch at this point, they would hate it. They like fixing their own lunch.

If we happen to be home, which hasn't happened too much lately, I cook only supper at night. I cook and dh & dcs clean up. Works for me:D