Menu

Good dh present?

In the past I've gotten dh:

bicycle

good quality leather wallet

clothes (not very exciting, I know)

guitar

Risk board game - a childhood favorite

Gift certificates for favorite golf courses.

This year I'm getting Kinect for his xbox and ?

He is so hard to buy for.

The best gift I ever got hubby was a Mr. Beer beer-making kit. I am seeing them now in stores for about $40. If your guy likes beer at all, he will enjoy this kit - my hubby is now in a beer club, grows his own hopps, makes ales, mead, stout, etc. - it has become quiet the hobby! I was able to get him a few dozen brown glass bottles and a bottle capping kit as a gift the following year - this year he asked for a 20-gallon pot to cook brew stuff in.

If he is not a beer guy - never mind. :-)

the buckyballs look like something my 17yo would like. What non-cyber stores might carry them?

I don't know! I am on complete bed rest so I did all of my shopping on the internet. FWIW: They are very dangerous for kids, so I would not allow them in my house. I will tell hubby that he has to take them to work. That is what he wanted them for anyway, a desk toy.

How about a new Blu-ray player with internet streaming? I just got this one for an early Christmas present and love it! It streams Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, Hulu Plus as well as about 20 other internet video sources. It also can stream music. I'm particularly enjoying streaming Christmas music from the seven different flavors available on Pandora. While we already had a Blu-ray player, we did not have a streaming device and this one reportedly has a better picture than the Roku box due to the powerful video processor included.

BTW, if you decide to go this route, please ensure you have an internet jack behind your entertainment center before purchasing the above unit, as it does not have wireless built-in. If that is the case, you will probably want to spring for the next unit up, the Sony BDP-S570.

I hope you are successful with whatever gift you choose!

Ug! Mine is impossible. He dosen't need much ever. He usually just goes and gets the electronic or whatever he decides he does need. (However I have a rule banning any purchases between Sept. 1 and Christmas. His birthday is Sept. 29, so between that and christmas it's just too hard if he's out there shopping for himself as well!)

This year I'm hoping I hit it right.

He has SO many passwords between work, Air force, banking/bills and just regular electronics. And he has to change the AF ones on a regular time schedule, and they have to have so many numbers and letters and some have to be in a certain order. So the password thing is really hard to keep up with. I found a password minder at LTD Commodities. You can put in up to 40 or 50 accounts and passwords. You only need to remember the password to that minder to open it. It shuts down for 30 minutes after 5 incorrect answers. It was only about $40.

I also found at Brookstone a heart rate monitor, but it's a ring, not the usualy watch style. He'd never strap on the watch style because he's already got his watch on. (I know, he's got two wrists, but he still won't do it.) It was also only about $40.

He's also getting a DVD, one I'm shocked we don't already own because we also watch it when it's on TV. A extra set of sheets - drives him crazy that I wash, dry adn put back on the bed. He thinks we need an extra set.

A roll of paper towels. Yes, paper towels. I made all cloth napins and hang out extra dish towels, so I got rid of the paper towels and napkins. He's still not quite adjusted. He gets his own role that only he can use when he feels the cloth 'just doesn't do it the way I need it done!' as I'm still sometimes told. I know it seems odd, but he'll get a kick out of it and appreciate me doing it.

His stand by is chocolate as usual. Every birthday/chirstmas/anniversary is chocolate. Usually truffles. We got the middle sized $52 dollar box this year.

Hopefully this year something will be a bigger hit than the chocolate! But maybe not. Chocolate may always be the big hit no matter what!

Do you have any Marriot points? :D Any good deals on a local hotel. You know where I am going with this...a coupon in hist stocking for Hotel Tea.

I don't think you have to cast your net too far. Nor do I think you can strike out with this one.

:iagree:I think all husbands would be thrilled with this. Great idea, LibraryLover!

I'm also adding this Tim Hawkins dvd. I bought my dh the "I'm No Rockstar" dvd last year and the whole family enjoyed it. Ok, not just regular enjoyed it, but almost wet our pants laughing enjoyed it. This year I'm getting his new dvd - "Insanitized". Maybe I should stick a few Depends in the stocking.

Edited by Mothersweets

I'm making a date calendar again for mine.

You don't even have to have all the money for the year lined up yet.

I find a cheesy "Romantic" or "Love" calendar at the dollar store, and attach an envelope with a date inside it to each month's page. At the beginning of the month, he opens the envelope, we choose a time/day, and have the date.

Some things I've done in the past include miniature golf (bought a certificate), video arcade (bought tokens), restaurant, video date (gift cert from Blockbuster--this was pre-Netflix), massage date (at home, just us--bought some oil, but just put a certificate in the envelope), game night, movie out (certificate from the movie theater).

This year I think I'll do a movie and laser tag, and a couple of restaurants. A few months will be "free" b/c we live near DC and it's easy to catch an art show or go hiking.

I usually get him art books, as that's what he loves, but this year I'm getting him a bicycle - a men's cruiser. Either a Giant or Electra. He has a mountain bike that was his brother's that's uncomfortable to lean forward onto. Maybe I'll get him some bike shorts too (if I get the Giant).

This has been tough for me since I stopped working. I don't have any money and have to ask him for money to buy stuff so anything I get him he'll know about and have paid for himself really. He says it is silly to take money from him to buy him stuff that he could just buy if he wanted. I have been trying to explain to him that my son likes to give him gifts and that is part of the tradition for us. I think he is starting to get it!

Do you have any Marriot points? :D Any good deals on a local hotel. You know where I am going with this...a coupon in hist stocking for Hotel Tea.

I don't think you have to cast your net too far. Nor do I think you can strike out with this one.

I just checked, and we DO have Marriott points!! I am so doing this! He'll love it. : ) Thanks for the great idea.:001_smile:

Iron and Wine concert tickets (we already went to the concert, and it was very disappointing :glare:)

a copy of Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid by Lemony Snicket

a bottle of real maple syrup for his stocking (back when we were really, really broke - as opposed to the simply really broke that we are now :tongue_smilie: - he commented that one thing he really missed in our scrimping and saving was real maple syrup, so he's gotten a bottle in his stocking every year since)

The most successful gift I ever gave my husband was a year of Bacon of the Month Club. Every month, a little package of bacon would arrive at our doorstep, each from a different artisanal...bacon maker? Baconist? Husband still sighs sadly when he picks up a package of supermarket bacon.

The most successful gift I ever gave my husband was a year of Bacon of the Month Club. Every month, a little package of bacon would arrive at our doorstep, each from a different artisanal...bacon maker? Baconist? Husband still sighs sadly when he picks up a package of supermarket bacon.

Perhaps it is time to sign him up again?

The best thing I've given my dh is things to do. One year I got us both season tickets to a local theater - they had a 4 play package deal at Christmas. On the other end of the spectrum, I once planned a short trip to Rome for him to take by himself as a Christmas gift. I'm glad that's done with because I know I'll never top it so I can stop stressing and trying to. ;)

Edited by farrarwilliams
left out a shocking number of words in the middle of a sentence

DH loves live theater, so this year I've purchased a membership at a local dinner theatre. Seven times during the coming year, we'll go out to dinner and see a play. (It's not a surprise though...it was expensive and I wanted him to be OK with spending the $$.) I've also got him a copy of the extended version of Avatar, a 3-d puzzle to build with ds and a new coffee mug from our summer trip.

This year I am giving DH the Sketch a Day Journal, a nice set of pencils (still need to decide which one), and Art & Fear: Observations On the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking.

In his stocking, he'll have a BPA-free travel mug, and a selection of espresso pods for his travel espresso maker. He will also have tickets to see Blue Man Group (everyone in our family will have these in their stocking), and now I'm thinking it's time to check on hotel points here too!

Love the calendar idea, as well...

The Mariott idea is what my husband gets every year, if the actual hotel isn't in the budget he gets the same gift. I have never had a complaint. This way I know that he will like at least one of his presents and he has often said that I can forgo other presents and just give more of this particular one.

Plus, it's cheap and fits every budget! :D

This year he is also getting camera gear, more gear and I'm doing all accountant meetings the entire year, including phone calls, by myself, because he hates them more than anything and inevitably we have way too many meetings with them!

This year he's getting new aikido weapons and, possibly, an itunes certificate. He knows about this---a friend of his has dropped aikido and is offering to sell my husband his very nice weapons for about a third of the regular price. It'll be a combo birthday-Yule gift (his birthday is tomorrow). I found a copy of James Lipton's book, "Inside Inside," about "Inside the Actors' Studio," one of his favorite series, at the dollar store, so he's also getting that for his birthday.

In the past:

a caped greatcoat (I drafted the pattern and made it out of free material)

Playmobil

violin lessons

dvds

books/bookstore certificates

tarot cards

made and embroidered a scarf as well as a bag for his tin whistles (Greenman motif)

really sharp cheese

music/itunes gift certificates

Someone else reminded me... DH once gave me a year of coffee in the morning. Not once did I have to make the coffee. He either made it each morning before I got up, or made sure the coffeemaker was programmed and set up each night. It was heavenly. My absolute, all time favorite gift!

My best gift to dh was concert tickets. It was for Paul McCartney. I think he cried.:tongue_smilie:

So far this year will probably be a theology book, some foodie things like dark chocolate and coffee. And probably a radiator.:glare: He's a car guy and is working hard on restoring his 66 Mustang so that's all he wants.

What a great idea! I may have to use this for our.. Um.. 12th anniversary. Maybe 13th.. He would LOVE this!

(I'm having a baby due Feb. 6, so it will be a while before I can get away.)

I am making my dh one of those fleece tie blankets. I found some beautiful fleece with trout on it. He loves to fish, so I know he will like that. I am also getting him a gift card to Bass Pro Shop. And I'm thinking the hotel tea idea is a good one. Thanks LibraryLover. It's been a long time since we've had hotel tea. I happen to think it's some of the best kind, and he would agree. :D