Menu

Do people really give cars as Christmas presents?

Every December my family is just flabbergasted by car commercials that suggest them as presents, like the Lexus ones. How much does a Lexus cost? $40-50K? Are these people supposedly paying cash for them? Even if you could, frankly, I'd be mad at my dh for spending the money without consulting me on a car!

I'm not talking like a less than $5000 used car for a teenager or something like that. I'm talking about "go to a dealership and buy a brand new car as a surprise for someone." Does that really happen?

Yes, my sister and her dh do -- and, yes, their life looks like a Lexus commercial.

And they give cars that are waiting in airport parking lots for the unsuspecting spouse as they arrive back from say, five days in Paris just because.

And one of them will think they are renting a fabulous beach house someplace, and the other will surprise them with the Deed b/c he/she bought the place for them.

And compared to some of the attorneys I worked with on Wall Street, my sister and her dh live like Mr. and Mrs. Bob Cratchit.

:001_huh: My husband married the WRONG sister.

I don't know about big bows on top sitting in the driveway on christmas morning, but people do give them for chirstmas. I'd think sometimes it's a surprise, but often they are picked out together.

The only big bows on top that I've heard of (and really, the bows weren't that big) were high school graduation/ 17th birthday gifts (you don't get your licesne till 17 in NJ). One of the girls in my class did get hers on her 16th birthday, but they used her florida house address for her license.

I'd think it's a lot eaiser to get a car delievered and make a big surprise of it on a birthday/graduation than it would be on Christmas morning. To really pull off a surprise like that, you'd have to get the car delievered early, have it bowed up, parked in the perfect spot and take possession of it all without your spouse catching on. Unless Santa was doing it for you, that would seem pretty hard to pull off. LOL!

Yes, my sister and her dh do -- and, yes, their life looks like a Lexus commercial.

And they give cars that are waiting in airport parking lots for the unsuspecting spouse as they arrive back from say, five days in Paris just because.

And one of them will think they are renting a fabulous beach house someplace, and the other will surprise them with the Deed b/c he/she bought the place for them.

And compared to some of the attorneys I worked with on Wall Street, my sister and her dh live like Mr. and Mrs. Bob Cratchit.

:001_huh: My husband married the WRONG sister.

See, I think that kind of stuff would just make me mad. A house is not a surprise; a car is not a surprise. A box of chocolates is a surprise. Flowers for no reason is a surprise (and I don't even really like flowers).

See, I think that kind of stuff would just make me mad. A house is not a surprise; a car is not a surprise. A box of chocolates is a surprise. Flowers for no reason is a surprise (and I don't even really like flowers).

Agreed. I think those things should be picked out together.

I have learned to be the DUCK! It rolls right off me now b/c after YEARS of seeing these extravagant gifts, well, QUACK! QUACK!:D

Yes, people really do give all sorts of extravagant gifts nowadays. Christmas has become a real spending time, insane spending time - and not only Christmas, to be frank; it's holidays in general, as well all sorts of "rites of passage" (from religious confirmations to graduations, etc.) and just "plain" birthdays. The bigger your budget, the more you spend on what are supposed to be symbolic presents.

Not that I'm not guilty of some of that too; I've also at times given/received things such as extravagant first-row seats for opera, payed trips abroad and stuff of the kind, even though, in my defense, those are more of "experiences" than pure material things which just cost a lot. Cars and houses, though, I cannot fathom it, that's really going too far.

Well, DH almost bought me a car for my birthday one year. It was one I'd oohed and aahed over, and we needed a new car but I was hemming and hawing on the commitment. He was going to leave it in my parking spot at the train station one day when I was in the city. But he knew I wasn't totally decided about the car itself, so he didn't do it. I think if he'd known I was sure about the car, he would have. So I'm sure there are times when that kind of big present could make some kind of sense. Of course, it was a Saturn, not a Lexus, but if you're Lexus-level spenders, then a Lexus-level car would be what you'd get instead! We are not Lexus-level spenders and probably never will be *sigh*

I also know someone who surprised her DH with a new car. Then again, they declared bankruptcy a year or two later...

Edited by melissel
typos

My MIL once gave my FIL a brand new Lincoln for his birthday. She took his old car and said she was going to get it detailed or something like that. Came back with a brand new car. They have plenty of money but don't overspend. She traded in the old car and probably had saved the cash to make up the difference. She's good that way.

On a related note, those kinds of commercials have made my son think all parents give their kids a car when they get a license. I said something to him about saving up for his first car, and he replied, "I thought it was traditional for parents to give a kid his first car." Um, not in our world. It's traditional for a kid to buy his first car -- sometimes buying the oldest family car from the parents, but still paying for it.

Not that I'm not guilty of some of that too; I've also at times given/received things such as extravagant first-row seats for opera, payed trips abroad and stuff of the kind, even though, in my defense, those are more of "experiences" than pure material things which just cost a lot. Cars and houses, though, I cannot fathom it, that's really going too far.

I agree, experience gifts are different. However, I remember when I was in 7th grade, my friend's father surprised them with a Disney trip. (I can't remember if the mom knew, but I think not). He just told them to get in the car, and then drove them to the airport and they flew to Orlando. They bought all new clothes, toiletries, etc, there.

That same year, my parents took us all to Disney. I think they told us at Christmas by giving us a Disney tour book as a present. We spent 3-4 months planning and went over Easter. We all enjoyed the planning and the looking forward to the trip (it was my first time on a plane) nearly as much as the trip itself. I couldn't help feeling like my friend's father had robbed them of that by surprising them.

I discovered the same thing when my oldest was a toddler. A local bookstore was having a party for the 100th anniversary of Peter Rabbit. I took him to it as a surprise because he really liked Peter Rabbit. He cried, and he did not enjoy it at all. And then I recognized that he really needed the preparation part in order to enjoy it.

I've only seen a car given as a gift once. I transferred into a rich high school, and one of my classmates received an Isuzu Trooper (I think) for her 16th birthday. She was complaining to her friends that it wasn't the car she had wanted. I thought she was a big, spoiled baby. A few weeks/months later, she wrapped it around a tree, driving drunk.

My dh's cousins all received cars for Christmas when they turned 16. They were the newest SUVs at the time and were fully loaded. It wasn't a Lexus, but close. Of course, they traveled Europe often, went to middle school in Switzerland and had every toy, etc... the day it came out.

Believe it or not, they all turned out to be wonderful people!

yes, I've seen cars given. Jags, Escalades, Benz.

You have to think of it like this--if you have the kind of $ to buy that as a Christmas present, you wouldn't need to talk to your SO about it before hand.

Now, cars do *nothing* for me, and my DH knows never-ever to buy me one. Unless it's a Jeep CJ7. :D Used, preferably with rust and a killer roll bar.

I dunno, I think I could live with it. ;)

But its kind of funny because I was just laughing at the same thing. It feels so desperate, the way car dealerships try to convince you that cars are the perfect Christmas gift. And yeah, there are those few people out there who buy each other a surprise Lexus, but c'mon, that's a pretty small segment of the population and I'm pretty sure those people don't need a radio commercial to come up with the idea. :p

If you've got enough money to buy a car as a gift, then go for it! Who are we to disparage other people's gifts? Will I appreciate it if my grandfather, who received only an orange for Christmas, sticks his nose up at me for buying the kids a Wii for Christmas? If you've been blessed with the money, there's no shame in buying someone something with the money.

Now, if you don't have the money and will plunge yourself in debt, then we can pick on you. (I'm just kidding! Mostly...)

My dh's cousins all received cars for Christmas when they turned 16. They were the newest SUVs at the time and were fully loaded. It wasn't a Lexus, but close. Of course, they traveled Europe often, went to middle school in Switzerland and had every toy, etc... the day it came out.

Believe it or not, they all turned out to be wonderful people!

But there's still something about it which bugs me. You see, you're perfectly right in all you're saying, and I know many such examples, but it's just... It's hard to pinpoint, but I really believe a person - and especially a child - needs to wish something. When you have everything or close to everything, somehow the whole thing about getting gifts becomes very "automatized"... Gifts become huge, but they don't mean much to you as they're anyhow small for you, they lose their symbolic value and it often goes in a whole different direction. You start receiving presents almost with annoyance, the initial excitement is very short and on the whole, those gifts don't mean so much.

But I really do get so happy with those little signs that somebody cares - a husband getting flowers for $5 after work... a daughter making this cute thank-you note for something... a friend surprising you with a handmade "book" about your life with photographs of you two from childhood... And then you have another friend, who buys you a designer wallet for a birthday... I know where she bought that wallet, it costs a bloody fortune, but somehow it's not... I don't know, it's not it. Likewise, my husband can get me a car as a surprise, but there's something almost fake in such an act... material manifestations of the "look, we have money!" kind. I want a small, more personal gift, something cute and unexpected, enough to convey a symbolic value; it's actually about a little special attention rather than the grandeur of the gift.

I don't like the situation you describe, because if I read it correctly (I'm reading into some stuff too which may not exist in their case), I know it all too well, and it's so hard to raise children whose many friends are "that type" too.

Kids don't need a whole lot of things - nor do adults. They especially don't need things you buy "just because you can". And while I'm perfectly okay with a more expensive gift or so, and with living according to your standard and all, I think there is this fine line which shouldn't be overstepped and I'm sad to see so many people do overstep it.

Money is just a tool. It's okay to have it. It's okay to use it. But going extravagant is a whole other thing, I really think it damages kids psychologically to have it all, and to have all the best stuff, and to become so young and so early so cynical... Knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing, as somebody once said. That's not childhood.

Edited by Ester Maria

We saw one of those commercials at my mom's this weekend, and dh says to me, "I didn't get you a Lexus." 8yo turns around and says, "Who's Alexis?" :lol:

And on the OP, nobody I know could give/receive a car for Christmas.

yes, I've seen cars given. Jags, Escalades, Benz.

You have to think of it like this--if you have the kind of $ to buy that as a Christmas present, you wouldn't need to talk to your SO about it before hand.

:iagree:

It was not an uncommon thing to do back during the heyday of the Wall St. boom. Bonuses used to routinely be a quarter-million or more. Now my DH never was senior enough to receive that large a bonus (and the bonus he did receive was used to pay down his student loans). But we knew plenty of folks who did get those kinds of bonuses and many of those did splurge on luxury vehicles.

Most of them probably now wish they'd saved that money for a rainy day given the number who got downsized since late 2007...

If you've got enough money to buy a car as a gift, then go for it! Who are we to disparage other people's gifts? ... If you've been blessed with the money, there's no shame in buying someone something with the money.

What would Jesus do? Would he say, "Go on, splurge on luxuries" or would he say, "Use your resources to help those in need"?

If you feel comfortable explaining to Christ why you chose to buy a Porsche instead of tithing and donating to charity, then go right ahead and do it. I know I wouldn't want that on my conscience!

But there's still something about it which bugs me. You see, you're perfectly right in all you're saying, and I know many such examples, but it's just... It's hard to pinpoint, but I really believe a person - and especially a child - needs to wish something. When you have everything or close to everything, somehow the whole thing about getting gifts becomes very "automatized"... Gifts become huge, but they don't mean much to you as they're anyhow small for you, they lose their symbolic value and it often goes in a whole different direction. You start receiving presents almost with annoyance, the initial excitement is very short and on the whole, those gifts don't mean so much.

But I really do get so happy with those little signs that somebody cares - a husband getting flowers for $5 after work... a daughter making this cute thank-you note for something... a friend surprising you with a handmade "book" about your life with photographs of you two from childhood... And then you have another friend, who buys you a designer wallet for a birthday... I know where she bought that wallet, it costs a bloody fortune, but somehow it's not... I don't know, it's not it. Likewise, my husband can get me a car as a surprise, but there's something almost fake in such an act... material manifestations of the "look, we have money!" kind. I want a small, more personal gift, something cute and unexpected, enough to convey a symbolic value; it's actually about a little special attention rather than the grandeur of the gift.

I don't like the situation you describe, because if I read it correctly (I'm reading into some stuff too which may not exist in their case), I know it all too well, and it's so hard to raise children whose many friends are "that type" too.

Kids don't need a whole lot of things - nor do adults. They especially don't need things you buy "just because you can". And while I'm perfectly okay with a more expensive gift or so, and with living according to your standard and all, I think there is this fine line which shouldn't be overstepped and I'm sad to see so many people do overstep it.

Money is just a tool. It's okay to have it. It's okay to use it. But going extravagant is a whole other thing, I really think it damages kids psychologically to have it all, and to have all the best stuff, and to become so young and so early so cynical... Knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing, as somebody once said. That's not childhood.

I would agree with you! I think these children had to work hard later in life to be okay with the fact that their lives would not continue this way after college.

I think entitlement is a widespread issue, though. The extravagance of this situation is harder for most people to understand. (empirical people!)

What would Jesus do? Would he say, "Go on, splurge on luxuries" or would he say, "Use your resources to help those in need"?

If you feel comfortable explaining to Christ why you chose to buy a Porsche instead of tithing and donating to charity, then go right ahead and do it. I know I wouldn't want that on my conscience!

It doesn't have to be either/or. There's no reason for a rich person to say, "I didn't tithe because I bought a car instead." You can be rich, give a full tithe, give a full offering, and give to charity and still have money left over for a Lexus as a present.

There were rich people in the bible who lived in great wealth and also served God. Abraham, Joseph, a number of the good kings, those rich women in the New Testament, and probably others I'm not remembering.

Yes, relying on riches instead of God is a pitfall for those who have money, like the rich young man who held onto his things instead of following Jesus. But there are other rich people that God can trust with a lot of money, because he knows they'll use it to serve him. I just don't see where he begrudges them playing with it as well. If that were the case, then Joseph should have given up his palaces and Abraham should have sold all his cattle and given it away, the father in the prodigal son story should have given the fatted calf to the poor villagers, and so forth, but God didn't require that of them.

If one really believes that he doesn't want us to do anything else with our money except give it away to the church or charity, then one would have to be living an extremely austere life in order to fulfill that requirement. But it's just not a requirement.

I think it falls under that part of the bible where God shows a pattern of giving to people what they can handle, like the different number of talents, or the different number of soldiers under a captain (some 10, some 100, etc.) Being a Christian doesn't mean being poor. It means following God and realizing that all our your resources are actually his, and being willing to give them back to him, and doing so when told to.

Edited by Garga

Well, you could say the same thing about anything in life. How big is your house? Could you have survived with a smaller one? Do your kids need to each have their own rooms? Couldn't they have shared rooms, and you donated the excess money to charity? Could you have bought in a less expensive neighborhood? Do you really NEED two cars? Many families manage with just one. Does one have to be an SUV or minivan when a small, energy efficient sedan would save more money that you could tithe? Do you really need to buy high-quality, organic fruits and vegetables? Off-brand, canned food will keep you alive just fine, and thrift store t-shirts and sweatpants cover the body just as well as new, name brand items.

Everything is a luxury to someone, I think. Heck, there are people here who keep their heat at 55 degrees in winter and wear hats and woolens indoors, and consider it a luxury that I have my thermostat at 68 right now :tongue_smilie:

I was wondering this the other day! The whole concept strikes me as ridiculous. Maybe if you had been saving and your spouse needed a new car, I could see that making sense. Especially with being able to get such good deals at the end of the year since dealers want to get rid of "old" inventory.

However, the thought of someone buying a new car for Christmas because they can seems a bit self serving.

It doesn't have to be either/or. There's no reason for a rich person to say, "I didn't tithe because I bought a car instead." You can be rich, give a full tithe, give a full offering, and give to charity and still have money left over for a Lexus as a present.

There were rich people in the bible who lived in great wealth and also served God. Abraham, Joseph, a number of the good kings, those rich women in the New Testament, and probably others I'm not remembering.

Yes, relying on riches instead of God is a pitfall for those who have money, like the rich young man who held onto his things instead of following Jesus. But there are other rich people that God can trust with a lot of money, because he knows they'll use it to serve him. I just don't see where he begrudges them playing with it as well. If that were the case, then Joseph should have given up his palaces and Abraham should have sold all his cattle and given it away, the father in the prodigal son story should have given the fatted calf to the poor villagers, and so forth, but God didn't require that of them.

If one really believes that he doesn't want us to do anything else with our money except give it away to the church or charity, then one would have to be living an extremely austere life in order to fulfill that requirement. But it's just not a requirement.

I think it falls under that part of the bible where God shows a pattern of giving to people what they can handle, like the different number of talents, or the different number of soldiers under a captain (some 10, some 100, etc.) Being a Christian doesn't mean being poor. It means following God and realizing that all our your resources are actually his, and being willing to give them back to him, and doing so when told to.

This is a great post. :001_smile:

If you've got enough money to buy a car as a gift, then go for it! Who are we to disparage other people's gifts? Will I appreciate it if my grandfather, who received only an orange for Christmas, sticks his nose up at me for buying the kids a Wii for Christmas? If you've been blessed with the money, there's no shame in buying someone something with the money.

Exactly this. Who are we to judge what someone else chooses to give as a gift? I know LOADS of wealthy people who give generously of their money and time to charities. Why shouldn't they be allowed to spend their money as they see fit? I went to a very posh girls' school near Chicago and everyone had tons of money and cars for Christmas were no big thing. My BFF had 2 cars as did her parents. They each had a summer car (convertible) and a winter car. My BFF got a 69 Mustang convertible for Christmas of our senior year. It was in the garage with a big red bow on it. Of course she wasn't allowed to drive it until winter was over, so it sat in the (heated) garage until Spring. She's one of the kindest, most generous people I know and her parents are wonderful people who give heavily to the Catholic Church and spend more time volunteering than a lot of people with far more free time.

He might say "Why are you celebrating my birth in the middle of winter? I was, by all accounts born in the Spring. Sheep in the fields people, sheep in the fields!" I'm kidding of course. But according to the Bible (which, while I'm not Christian, I have read), Jesus knew plenty of wealthy people, and I don't recall him telling them they were selfish for not giving away all their money and living in poverty because there were others who had less.

Yes, this. By the logic of giving away your money, then we should all be living in poverty. Why have internet when you can give that money you pay each month to the poor? Why eat good food when you can survive on bread and water and give the excess to the poor? Why spend money on a decent size house when you can live in a small shack and give the extra money you would have spent to the poor? Where does it end? That's just not how we, as a people, are. IIRC, that was never a requirement of Christianity. I don't think it's a requirement of any religion, except maybe Buddhism and there are even wealthy Buddhists.

In a perfect world, all things would be equal, but the world isn't perfect, and I can't feel guilty for having more than someone else, and I certainly wouldn't want someone who has more than me to feel guilty because I don't have what they have. My BFF from high school (that I referenced above who got the car for Christmas) is in the process of buying a huge, multi-million dollar house in Chicago with her husband. I live in a 1200 sqft apartment provided by the military (that is often dodgy at best). I'm happy for her and don't want her to feel guilty because she's getting a big house and I'm not. She and her husband work hard (she's a special ed teacher), are active in their Church (both are youth ministers) and do loads of charity work. Why shouldn't they have what they have just because others have less? Why shouldn't they give nice gifts with the money they've earned? Even if they didn't give generously, it's their money that they earned through hard work, and they should be allowed to do with it what they like. :huh:

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I think that was a very narrowminded comment. Just because a person drives luxury cars, does not mean that he or she isn't doing anything to help others. That person may very well donate more money in a year than you will donate in a lifetime.

I don't think it's fair to assume that just because someone has a nice lifestyle, they have something terrible "on their conscience."

I think there is a very common misconception that if someone is financially well-off, that they are somehow more greedy and selfish than someone with less money. I also think that many people who make disparaging comments about people who buy things they don't "need" (but can afford) are speaking more from envy than from a true belief that any extra money should be given away to help others.

Cat

PS. My family has always been very extravagant with gift-giving, and we get great joy out of giving presents that we know will be happily received. I sincerely doubt that Jesus would think it was a crime that we've done that. We're not showing off to others; we just want to make each other happy with great surprises.

Edited by Catwoman

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I think that was a very narrowminded comment. Just because a person drives luxury cars, does not mean that he or she isn't doing anything to help others. That person may very well donate more money in a year than you will donate in a lifetime.

I don't think it's fair to assume that just because someone has a nice lifestyle, they have something terrible "on their conscience."

I think there is a very common misconception that if someone is financially well-off, that they are somehow more greedy and selfish than those with less money.

Cat

Well said, Cat. I drive a luxury car too, wear a big fat rock of a diamond (a 10th anniversary gift from James Bond), and have loads of nice stuff (and some very expensive shoes ;)) but I'm not selfish or greedy. At least I don't think so. I'm quite nice in fact.

BTW, my parents have always been extravagant gift givers (I'm an only child), but it didn't cause me to grow up to be greedy or grasping. Except maybe when it comes to my shoes. They are my weakness. My "Achilles heel" if you will. :D

Edited by Mom in High Heels
spelling

A few years ago my dh bought me a car right before Christmas. It was not a new car with payments. It was a used car that he paid cash for. But it just happened that we needed a car at that time and it was close to Christmas. It was a fun gift to get at that time of year and I enjoyed receiving it.

It would have been possible for me to not have a car for awhile longer because I could have used his work van to run errands and do shopping with etc. but that wouldn't have been a good idea because he never knows when he's going to get a business call and so need to leave in his van right away.

Someone must be buying those new cars as gifts or I suppose they wouldn't be able to continue to run the expensive ads to sell them. But for those who can afford to purchase new cars it seems that Christmas would be a fun time to do that.

Edited by Miss Sherry

BTW, my parents have always been extravagant gift givers (I'm an only child), but it didn't cause me to grow up to be greedy or grasping. Except maybe when it comes to my shoes. They are my weakness. My "Achilles heel" if you will. :D

Hey, a girl's got to have her shoes, right? ;) Right now, I'm in the mood for some new boots (with high heels, of course!) :)

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

I don't know anyone giving away cars.

I wish I did.

I really don't care if those who can afford it are nice enough to do so.

Nor do I think it has diddly to do with their relationship with God.

I think it's silly to suggest that someone giving away a car or getting a gifted car is not a generous person.

If I can afford a nice reliable car for my kids when they turn 18, I'd be very happy to buy it for them. For that matter, if when they get married I can afford to help them buy a house, I'll be thrilled to do so. It's not likely, but I think it's wonderful that some families are able to help the next generation or the older generation (I'd be so happy to do the same for parents and grandparents.) live safer, more comfortably, or with less debt. None of that mean the buyer is foolish with money or that the receiver is some lazy mooching whatsit.

I've been so poor for my entire life that I can't imagine being able to do that.

But I'm not so selfish that I'd harbor a single negative thought towards those more fortunate than myself.

(Tho I do think buying a sports car or motorcycle for a 16 year old is just stupid. Last thing a new driver needs is a higher fatality risk.)

Do people really give cars as Christmas presents?

Yes.

Five years ago my husband gave me a new car for Christmas.

It was such a kind thing for him to do, and it was a tremendous surprise.

He knows me well enough that he got a car that I absolutely love. His gesture said to me, "Your safety and your comfort are *that* important to me."

And, I didn't have to go through the hassle of car shopping.

He put so much thought and effort into the purchase; I cannot imagine being mad or upset with him for such a thing.

Yes.

Five years ago my husband gave me a new car for Christmas.

It was such a kind thing for him to do, and it was a tremendous surprise.

He knows me well enough that he got a car that I absolutely love. His gesture said to me, "Your safety and your comfort are *that* important to me."

And, I didn't have to go through the hassle of car shopping.

He put so much thought and effort into the purchase; I cannot imagine being mad or upset with him for such a thing.

Thank you for posting! It shows that people are just really, really different. Sometimes it is hard to imagine that someone else views something so differently than I do. Within our relationship, that would never happen, and I do believe that I would be mad. If we had enough money that my husband could afford to buy me a car, I'd already have a decent car, I would think (I write as in our driveway sit two minivans, one with 208K miles, and one with 158K, and a 20 yo pickup truck), and then I wouldn't want or need another one. But then I have never been a car person. My dh doesn't want a car, he wants a chaffeur LOL. So it just would never happen here, I don't think, even if we could afford it.

Exactly this. Who are we to judge what someone else chooses to give as a gift? I know LOADS of wealthy people who give generously of their money and time to charities. Why shouldn't they be allowed to spend their money as they see fit?

Yes, this. By the logic of giving away your money, then we should all be living in poverty. Why have internet when you can give that money you pay each month to the poor? Why eat good food when you can survive on bread and water and give the excess to the poor? Why spend money on a decent size house when you can live in a small shack and give the extra money you would have spent to the poor? Where does it end? That's just not how we, as a people, are. IIRC, that was never a requirement of Christianity. I don't think it's a requirement of any religion, except maybe Buddhism and there are even wealthy Buddhists.

In a perfect world, all things would be equal, but the world isn't perfect, and I can't feel guilty for having more than someone else, and I certainly wouldn't want someone who has more than me to feel guilty because I don't have what they have.

Even if they didn't give generously, it's their money that they earned through hard work, and they should be allowed to do with it what they like. :huh:

Absolutely.

Frankly, I find it ridiculous, not to mention small-minded, that anyone would think you could logically conclude that someone lacks generosity, sound judgment, good character, a relationship with God, etc., based on the car they drive, the money they spend, or the gifts they give or receive.

Plus, it's none of my business how anyone else spends their own money.