Menu

I'm home.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Christine,

You have an amazing attitude and a beautiful spirit. And, as you can see, so many of us here are sending you positive thoughts and keeping you in our prayers.

You will get through this!

Many hugs, prayers, and well-wishes. :grouphug:

Edited by Imprimis

I am sure you already know this, but I found this online. It sounds as if you may have a very common type of breast cancer - which, in my mind, makes me think it will be much more easily curable! I sure hope and pray that is the case. I will continue to lift you up in prayer as you await the final word from the oncologist. I am praising God tonight that your skin biopsy was negative for IBC. I believe that is a sign and I believe you are going to beat this!

For anyone who is not sure what Invasive Ductal Carcinoma is, here is the passage I read:

Infiltrating (or Invasive) Ductal Carcinoma (IDC)

This is the most common breast cancer. Starting in a milk passage, or duct, of the breast, this cancer breaks through the wall of the duct and invades the breast’s fatty tissue. Under the microscope, ductal carcinoma looks like a mass with poorly defined edges that have begun to extend into the surrounding tissue. As the cancer invades the fatty tissue around a duct, it causes the formation of fibrous, scar-like tissue. Such scar formation may make ductal carcinoma appear larger than it actually is. Depending upon the location of the tumor, the symptoms of invasive ductal carcinoma may include retraction (drawing inward) of the nipple or nipple discharge and skin changes such as wrinkling or dimpling. Infiltrating or invasive ductal carcinoma accounts for about 80% of all breast cancers.

:grouphug: Christine, I have been praying for you and will continue to pray for you and for your family. Draw on the knowledge from others who have been in your shoes and can share their experience. Draw on the strength of He who is the greatest of all Healers. Draw on the love and support of your family and friends. :grouphug:

:grouphug: Praying :grouphug:

My mom was diagnosed with IDC in February. She chose to have a mastectomy even though they caught her cancer early at Stage I. (lymph nodes were clear)

She is doing great today. She didn't have to have radiation or chemo, she just has to take Tamoxifen for the next 5 years.

Stay strong!

Many hugs and prayers for you today..:grouphug:

My mom had IDC 15 years ago. She had a lumpectomy, 5 weeks of radiation and 5 years of Tamoxifen. She's completely fine! An active, busy, thriving wife, mom and grandma.

My husband's aunt had IDC 2 years ago. She had a mastectomy, chemo and plastic surgery, and now shows off her newly rebuilt breasts, and is completely fine. Clean bill of health.

Thank you for letting us know the diagnosis. You will be in my prayers this week.

Christine, I wanted to let you know that I sent the word out, and 3 of my wonderful friends from church are praying for you--Charlotte, Elizabeth, and Cynthia.

They all say it is a priviledge to pray for you. They are very faithful women.

Sending hugs and hope in Jesus.

Christine, first of all :grouphug:.

I am praying for you and your whole family. I have recently been through a different type of cancer and understand the roller-coaster of feelings and emotions you are having. My step-mom had the same as you. That was 30 years ago; she is now 85 and still going strong! Be encouraged by all the wonderful pp's here and know that we are praying for you and that G-d is faithful.

So sorry you're having to go through this. I have some practical advice for you to take or leave, whatever works for you:

1. Get this book: Living Through Breast Cancer by Carolyn Kaelin. This has information on what you're going through and each stage of the process. It is gently written by a breast surgeon who got cancer herself. There are some other great books out there too, but this is the one I had, and it was very helpful. Plus, it gives you something to read at night when you aren't sleeping!:001_smile:

2. Take notes, or have someone with you take notes when at appointments. Your head will be spinning during some appointments, so it helps to be able to remember what the docs said. You can also ask for copies of pathology reports if you're a real detail person.

3. If you get exhausted from calling people with updates, set up a journal on http://www.caringbridge.org/. This is a great website which minimizes your stress at making a bunch of calls or emails. You just write in the journal when you have news or an update. People can check on you at will, and enter comments in the guestbook.

4. If people offer to help, let them. If lots of people offer to help, let one of them coordinate the help to relieve your family of a lot of stress. Eg. People may want to bring dinners during surgery week.

5. Don't let fear and despair take on a life of their own in your family. You will feel these emotions, but don't obsess over them. You will suffer, but it won't be more than you can handle. You can get through this!

6. Let your family (kids too) be involved in what's going on. Talk a lot together, but be sure to make some "non-cancer" time together, where you just have fun.

7. Load up on stupid funny movies. Laughter helps.

8. Find music that calms and inspires you. I like anything by Twila Paris or John Michael Talbott.

9. You are in shock now. That is normal. You're probably not sleeping a lot. That is normal. You will discover a strength in you that you didn't know you had. You'll also discover a vulnerability too, and that's ok too.

10. You've got a bunch of people on this website who care about you. Come vent to us if you need to. If this saps your energy, take a break from WTM for a while. We'll be here when you get back, and we'll be here when you need us.

Take care, I hope this helps.

Joann

:grouphug:

Some of the best advice that I had was to get a second opinion from a major cancer center. Sometimes they are more aware on the latest treatment than a small local hospital.

My chemo sessions were 2 1/2 hours from my home, and radiation was 5 minutes away from home. It is important to find doctors and clinics that you feel comfortable with. By going to an oncologist affiliated with a larger urban hospital, I was able to have chemo that was a little easier on the heart.

Get a notebook to keep the medical information and appointments as it gets overwhelming. Make a list of questions to ask the Dr.

Take your days in little increments. Sometimes taking life a day at a time was too much for me.

Get lots of prayer support and hang on to God. I could truly sense God's presence through it all......even the dark times.

You'll be in my prayers.

Here is an additional thought. When I was starting treatment, I asked the Hive for suggestions of Christian songs that were an encouragement during difficult times. My daughter put these on an mp3 player.

I didn't have this before my first surgery, and I wasn't in good places. For subsequent surgeries and for my first chemo I listened to these songs pre-surgery and during chemo, and it made such a difference.

I was so thankful that my brother came to visit with his family. I nearly broke out into tears when I went outside to help him bring in his stuff. He had to rent a car to get here!

I still have moments when I break down but so far the kids aren't aware. We will have to tell them soon. I am feeling so much better. I don't feel bleak anymore and I don't think I will have a problem when my husband is at work. I'm coming out of the paralyzed/shock stage and am looking into the different options I have. (I'm feeling like waiting until Friday to have my first Oncologist visit is crazy long. I want to be doing something.)

These are my options if anyone has an opinion:

1. Stay in Marquette, MI but will have to go out for the surgery if I plan on having reconstruction.

2. Go to Wisconsin. We have family there either Madison or Milwaukee. Drive is about 6.5 and 5.5.

3. Go to Mayo. I've heard rave reviews from there. Drive is about 7. Mayo is rated number 3 in cancer.

4. Go to MD Anderson because they are rated number 1 in cancer. Fly.

Do I go to one of these places for a work up and then return home for the treatment?

Since having the biopsies, I don't think my breast feels nearly as hot. My husband isn't sure.

Well that is my update. I hope everyone had an enjoyable weekend! :grouphug:

I've read the last few pages since they were new to me. There has been so many great pieces of advice and so much prayer. I am so thankful. I plan to pass on the kindness by trying to make everyday count by reaching out to someone who needs help and of course praying for those here.

Thanks again. I still haven't learned how to quote people so it is hard to comment on each great piece of advice.

Take care my Hive friends!!!!! :grouphug:

These are my options if anyone has an opinion:

1. Stay in Marquette, MI but will have to go out for the surgery if I plan on having reconstruction.

2. Go to Wisconsin. We have family there either Madison or Milwaukee. Drive is about 6.5 and 5.5.

3. Go to Mayo. I've heard rave reviews from there. Drive is about 7. Mayo is rated number 3 in cancer.

4. Go to MD Anderson because they are rated number 1 in cancer. Fly.

Do I go to one of these places for a work up and then return home for the treatment?

IMHO, go to the best place/doctor for cancer you can. It can make a huge difference. :grouphug: My df was able to receive a plan from one of the best doctors, which he then took home to the local treatment center. The center performed the treatments as per doctor's orders, and periodically he goes to the doctor for a check up. Just make certain you receive detailed, written instructions for the local center. :001_smile: