Menu

How did you meet your dh?

I've always loved hearing how people got together. So, if this hasn't been asked already on this new board, please share your love stories. :001_smile:

I'll start:

I sat across this handsome "young" man at a Chinese restaurant. We were at a young adult fellowship from our church. I actually had a crush on a guy who was waaaay down at the other end of our loooong table. But this young (I was 31 and he was 24, so I wasn't really interested, though he was cute!) Naval Officer, kept talking to me. Long story short, he kept hanging around me and my roomate EVERYDAY for two months. Really got to know him. Found out we were having feelings for each other and it got stronger. (I thought he was just hanging around because my roommate was a good cook and fed him all the time!) Nope. It was because of meeee. :001_smile: Six months later, we were married! Married for almost 13 years with three children. I'm still amazed he fell in love with "meeeee"! Thanks God!

I've shared this before but since you asked...;) We met at the youth hostel in Whistler, B.C. My husband is Swiss and had spent the previous year backpacking through Canada; when he got as far West as he could go (Vancouver Island) he stopped and got a job at a dairy. So he was temporarily living and working on the island and had gone over to Whistler to ski. I went up that weekend because a men's World Cup downhill event was taking place; I wanted to meet a U.S. downhiller who had just won the gold in Lillehammer ('94).

So my future husband and I we were both staying at the youth hostel when we met. There weren't necessarily sparks when we met, but we exchanged contact info. A couple of months later, in May, I went up to Vancouver Island and spent a few days with him. The next month, I went up again and met his parents, who were over from Switzerland, visiting. The next month, July, he came and stayed with me for a few days. Then in early September, after spending a grand total of maybe two weeks in one another's presence (!), I moved in with him. And two weeks later I was pregnant. And a few months after that we were married ~ while skiing in Switzerland. Can you say....whirlwind?!:001_rolleyes:

When we first met, he was already seeing somebody (rather seriously!) and she happened to be a mutual friend. And, I was already involved with somebody as well. Fast forward a year or so and I was "through" with dating...too many relationships gone bad. Dh was still seeing said mutual friend. We began working together through our co-ed service fraternity (Alpha Phi OMega) and a real friendship formed. Just before Christmas break, I received a card from him with a wonderful poem inside. He sent this as his Christmas card to ALL his friends, but I remember thinking it was just for me! I had already started falling for him. Once back from our break, I signed up for a committe that he was on and we had to get together one evening to plan some function. His girlfriend at the time was ill (convenient!). We had our meeting and when everyone else left, I suggested we walk to the local diner (right down the road) and get ice cream. Of course, I told him to ask his girlfriend (knowing full well she was ill and wouldn't come! :D). Well, we went and talked practically all night. I remember saying I was not interested in relationships b/c I was headed to Spain for the Fall semester.

Well, seems dh had already fallen for me as well, b/c he told his good friend how confused he was. Fast forward a month or so...he broke up with his girlfriend and officially asked me out! :D The rest is history. We dated through the summer, broke up once b/c of my own confusion over a previous boyfriend coming back to stir up old feeling, got back together and then I left for Spain in the Fall. Well...dh flew over to meet me in Paris and proposed over Thanksgiving Break! :D We were married the June after he graduated the following year!

I was a freshman, and missing my (rather unimpressive) boyfriend from high school, who was going to another school.

I went to a meeting for a Christian group on campus, thinking it wasn't going to be all that, but Stephen was there--quite the good-looking-est guy in the whole group. But in addition, to being a good-looking guy, he was a good guy. Since I was dating someone else, we could just be friends, and I really, really liked and respected him.

I didn't necessarily have "feelings" for him, but my (still unimpressive, and impressing less and less as we went along) boyfriend began to look rather second-string in comparison--he wasn't as honest, as straightforward, as open. And he was frankly self-centered. So I realized that I'd rather be dating someone like Stephen than Unimpressive Boyfriend. Actually, UB was Unimpressive compared with many of the guys in that group. But Stephen was the one around whom my comparisons tended to center, b/c he was both the best-looking and the most trustworthy, the most painstakingly moral guy there.

Dropped him, and Stephen suddenly lost all good sense and asked me out. And I very quickly realized that I'd rather be dating Stephen than someone like Stephen.

We were married just over a year later, not quite fourteen years ago.

The first time we met was on the infamous 200 hall of Norris Hall at Virginia Tech. We were at a meeting about a trip abroad. The university had a grant that was to be used to send the top 35 engineering students abroad for the summer. We were in the group going. We were both there. But with 6 girls and 29 guys, you can imagine that he remembered me more than I remembered him.

Fast forward to that summer... We spent a pleasant summer at Oxford University together. In the middle of the trip, the university sent us to the Soviet Union for ten days on a vacation tour. We had our first date in Tallinn, Estonia, walking around the old village. We had our second date in Moscow to a playground we could see out of my hotel room. We had lots of fun dates in Oxford, punting on the river, soaking up the atmosphere in the Eagle and Child, going to Shakespeare plays at the various colleges, weekend trips to London...

We continued to date the next 3 years. He asked me to marry him on April 2, 1992. We were married in September before going off to Georgia Tech for grad school. We had our first child on April 2, 1995. (I have always thought that was a cool coincidence.)

I met him the first day he showed up for band practice. I was a sophomore, he was a junior. I don't know when but he started dating my best friend. (We had only met - you know who is the guy who just moved in?) Then during my junior year, his senior year, the SCA had a fund raiser where everyone in the school filled out computer dating questionnaires. We actually had class time to do this! But we had to pay to get the results. They were like $1. You bought them at lunch. I got mine for the whole school, (you could also get one just for your class - they were all dweebs!) and dh was #1, but still dating my best friend.

Band was right after lunch (yuck all that stuff in your horn!) and as we were settling in, I went back and very quietly said that he was #1 on my list. He made an inappropriate comment (basically a proposition) and said something about needing to get take care of something, looking at my best friend/his girl friend. I was taken aback, but also said nothing to no one. I don't think I really took his comment seriously. Then a month (2?) later, they broke up. At our band concert I walked up to him in the hall, reminded him of his comment at the back of the band room and asked "When?" He turned BRIGHT red, hit his head against the wall a few times, turned back around, smiled and said "when ever you want?" Neither one of us were serious, just trying to call the other's bluff.

He finally asked me out. We dated the rest of high school, all through college, his master's degree and then got married. We dated for like 8 years! We've been married for 16 years come May.

when a group of us college students went to Westwood for the evening. There were a couple of street preachers on a corner and he stopped to converse with them. I was interested in what was being said so I stopped to listen. We were not formally introduced at that time. But, since he played on the men's volleyball team and I played for the women's team we had alot of intreaction with each otherover the next few years. We became very good friends and then one day he asked me to marry him, we got married 3 months later, have 7 kids now and are very happy!

Cheri

I met my husband on a blind date. When I first started college, you could see who was on the server and do a talk request. I ended up chatting off and on with him for two months and then he asked if we could meet. At first I really didn't want to, but decided to because he had a motorcycle, I also liked the fact that he was also a Christian. We met and hit it off right away. That was October and by December I told a friend that I met the guy that I was going to marry. We got engaged in the summer of 94 & married in 95.

Kristine

I met my dh on my second Sunday living in a new town. I had just gotten my first teaching position and had moved to a teeny, tiny little place in the middle of nowhere (in North Carolina). The lady at the bank told me that there was a church of my denomination in town and told me where it was, but I didn't drive by to find it beforehand.

When Sunday came, I got up, got dressed, drove to town, and drove around and around for half an hour and never found it. I went home, cried, and decided that the "Christy" life was not for me and that I should never have attempted such a thing.

The next day at school (it was the first day of teacher inservices), the teacher across the hall invited me to her house for lunch. When we sat down, she said, "I hope you don't mind, but in this house, we pray before we eat."

I saw my opportunity and said, "You don't happen to go to Such-and-Such church, do you?" She did, and drove me by on our way back to school. (The lady at the bank had given me the wrong directions.)

The next Sunday as I walked into the foyer, I was greeted by the new minister (a nice young man, if I do say so myself). It was his second Sunday there.

Eleven months later, I married my pastor.

He teases me to this day about how I got lost in a town of only 600 people. If I had only been able to find the church, my first Sunday and his first Sunday would have been the same day.

It was Easter Sunday of 1996. It was the first time either one of us had ever been online. I was supposed to be doing research for my sociology class (in TN), he had just purchased a new computer (in CO).

We both signed on and were bumped into the same new member chatroom (this was when AOL was still $2.95/hour). He was there before me. I said "hi" to the room, and he answered. We started chatting and chatted online or through email for a couple of weeks. Then we exchanged phone numbers and talked on the phone for a few weeks. We met in person in Oklahoma (I had a friend there, he had a sister there) at the end of May. I moved to CO at the end of June or July. We were engaged in February and married in May. That was almost 11 years ago.

It's a wonder my parents survived it all with as much grace as they did. I was only 20, and still living at home when I met him. I dropped out of college and gave up a full scholarship to move closer to him (I was supposed to be the first one in the family to graduate from college). The first time my parents met him was when we pulled up with a Uhaul on the back of his truck to pick up my furniture (I had driven out a few weeks prior in my little sports car). They liked him and were kind to him, but now that I have kids I can only imagine the thoughts that were really going through their heads!

We were in the same year, but had never run into each other (different majors and activities) until our Junior year--unusual at our small school. I was over at a good friend's house one day working on a Russian project, and noticed a Dragon magazine in her room. I had played D&D all through junior and high school, and asked her if she gamed... she said yes, invited me to come to her Sunday gaming group, and that's how I met Doug. Yep. I married my Dungeon Master.

There is no geekier way to meet a future spouse.

In a math class in college. It was Algebraic Systems with a drill sargeant psycho of a prof. He offered to help me with something. When we were trying to figure out a time, I mentioned the math society banquet that night. He had forgotten and asked if he should be going too since he was in it. I said yes. He asked me to go with him. I said okay.

Yes, our first date was math banquet. Need I say more?;)

The shortened version of a very long story is this: I met dh through friends at college. We were in a big Navy town (Norfolk, VA). The first time we met, dh (a sailor) and his friends came to a graduation party for a friend of mine. I was dating someone else, so when I met dh, we chatted very briefly, but there were no sparks.

A few weeks later, I moved into an apartment with the girl who had had the graduation party as well as two other girls.

One of the other two roommates was dating one of dh's sailor friends. Over the next six months, DH and I didn't cross paths again, though we hung out with the same group of people b/c my roommate was dating his friend. For some unknown reason, Dh and I never hung out at the same place at the same time. It became a HUGE joke -- DH and I were never in the same place, though my roommates and dh's shipmates hung out together all the time!

Over time, the joke led to speculation between my roommate and her sailor boyfriend that they ought to fix us up. They pestered us for weeks to meet again and go out. Late one night, after an evening out with the group -- minus dh -- and a few too many beers, they convinced me to call the ship. Guess who was on watch on the quarterdeck (where the telephone is) at two a.m.? DH. (The odds of this are astronomically small. On a ship of 300+ men who take turns doing 4 hr shifts on the quarterdeck, the chance of dh being on duty in the middle of the night when I called is almost zero!)

The next night, we finally went out on a date and it was a DISASTER. I was nervous and acted like a fool; dh thought I was a nutcase. A month later, I graduated college and moved out of the apartment, thinking nothing more about our date. That would have been the end of it, but...

About two weeks after I moved out, I tried to contact my old roommates. The phone had been disconnected b/c they hadn't paid the bill, so I called the Navy ship, hoping to ask the sailor who answered the phone to have my roommate's boyfriend to pass on a message to her.

Guess who answered the ship's phone? DH. (What are the odds that he'd be on the quarterdeck TWICE when I called?) When he answered, I apologized for my nutty behavior, and asked if he wanted to join a group of friends (including my former roommmate and her boyfriend) who were going out that weekend.

We went out (in a group of friends) and had a great time. From that moment on, we were inseparable. We were engaged three months later and were married the following year. We'll celebrate our 17th anniversary on May 4th.

The weekend before I was to fly from S. California to Illinois to continue grad. school, I was staying with my former UCLA roommate and her house mates in Santa Monica (we are talking co-ed here - Three's Company :001_smile: ). A former undergrad UD* roommate of one of the house mates came out from Illinois to visit them. I was a tad disgruntled that weekend as more attention was paid to this guy from Illinois than ME, who was leaving. Oh, well. A week later, as I was settling in at Northwestern, the guy, back from his trip out west, called and offered to play tour guide in Chicago.

Three years later we were married. AND - my former UCLA roommate also married my hubbie's former UD roommate. :-)

* University of Dallas.

I was 16 and a waitress in a small coffee shop type place. He would come in after work for dinner and one day he told one of his friends that he was going to marry me someday LOL( he hadn't even asked me out yet). Almost 2 years later to the day we got married and that friend was his best man at our wedding.

The first time we met was on the infamous 200 hall of Norris Hall at Virginia Tech

I remember taking a class there.

I met my husband at a leadership picnic at a church we were both going to. Our two "branches" of this one flavor of church merged to become one, so I really hadn't met him up until this point. A friend of mine was interested in him, but he was older than I and had a son -- so he wasn't exactly who I was looking for. I had moved home after graduating college and was working. I had planned to get certified to teach, but I really began sensing that I was being called to wait patiently, for if I were to marry, I would want to stay at home. I know, weird thoughts, but anyway.

A friend had invited me to John's (my to-be husband) surprise birthday party. I didn't know him, and did not plan to go. But, at this leadership picnic, I ended up behind John in the food line, so I -- trying to be funny -- asked him, "So, how old are you going to be -- 40?" He replied, "38." I was stunned. I was about 25, so this seemed a bit older to me. LOL

I sat down on a picnic blanket, and he asked if he could join me. He told his son (who was 7 then) on the way home that he was going to marry me. He had not dated anyone since his wife left him three years prior. In 6 months, we were engaged.

I robbed the cradle (I'm a year older but not any wiser). I was a Freshman at GSU and dating a friend of his. My BF at the time had left high school early and was attending GSU with me. I met my better half when "G" brought him to my bookstore to meet me; I have been with him ever since. Oh, and G was not too upset, he ended up being dh's best man at our wedding. :D

Blind date. I had a pretty long dry spell after breaking up with BF of 2 years. For about 2 years I think I went on 5 dates and not many 2nd dates. Meanwhile I went to about 5 weddings alone. I was pretty depressed because I was 26, all my friends were married or about to get married and I was the odd-person out. My social life was only going out with work people (and drinking too much). I had known all along that I wanted to get married and have kids, but it didn't look good:)

Well, a friend decided to set me up with her husband's tall, dark and handsome cousin. We met at a party. I thought he was very cute (but I had my heart broken by some cute guys, so I wasn't that into him.) He kept hanging around me. Df had us over for dinner a week later. Conversation was good and we were having a good time. Well, then the plan was to watch a movie on their new TV. One of the movies I had already seen before, so she put in the "academy award winner" - The Accused. NOT a good first date movie. By the time the graphic rape scene had ended, we were on opposite ends of the couch. As we were leaving (in our separate cars), I heard df's husband yell, "Why couldn't you get a comedy?" Blind date and I laughed as we drove away. Miraculously, he called for another date. We continued to see eachother for a few months, but he was so shy and quiet, I felt like I hardly knew the guy. Then he took me to a family wedding. He was so relaxed and fun that I got to know him a lot better. When his brother had a daughter, we went to see her. Seeing this 6 foot tall man making goo-goo eyes at this baby with such joy made my heart melt. That is when I started to see the real gem underneath. I had never dated a guy who treated me with such respect. He used to leave our Saturday night dates about 11 so he could go home and get up for 7:30 am Mass. I was not attending church at the time, but before long, I tentatively asked him to take me with him.

2 years after we met, we were married. This great guy turned my life around and brought me back to God. He has been my rock in our 16 years of marriage.

Most people assume that because dh is a doctor and I a nurse that we must have met in the hospital. :-P Not so. We met in our church's singles' fellowship. He was a sophomore in medical school at the time and I was in transition to nursing school. Because of the timing of our meet and dh's conviction that he did not feel he could divide his time between his studies and a family well, we ended up dating *seven* years - long enough for him to finish medical school, residency, and one year outside of residency. :-} That was a LOOOONNGGG time. :-P I remember that for most of medical school we had Friday as date night and Sunday night after church fellowship with the group to see each other. That was it. All the rest of the time was study time for him. Then, he moved 2 hrs away for residency which made visiting difficult. In any case, we've been married 18.5 years and have two precious dds. (Of course, when he finally did feel he could make the commitment and we were engaged/married, he *immediately* declared, "Why one earth did I wait so long?! I should have done this a long time ago!" :-P All told, though, we've known each other for 25.5 years. I am so thankful for that single's fellowship!

I met my DH online in a newsgroup, similar to a yahoogroup, for people who liked science fiction and fantasy books. We lived in different states even. We struck up a friendship through email for several months and then planned a weekend to meet. We were both going through a divorce so it was nice to have someone to talk with about things. We'd even email about dates we had. Neither of us had any intention of falling in love, it just happened during the weekend we met face to face. Boy did things happen fast from there. We were engaged within 4 months, married a few months after that, immediately got pregnant plus had my toddler from previous marriage, and bought a house. We agree that our relationship started off with a BANG. We've been happily married for 12 years. He's my best friend.

I met my husband on Christmas Day at his sisters house. I went to Boston (from Austria) to visit my friend (his sister) and stayed at her house for 2 weeks. My husband came from San Diego to visit his family and stayed at his sisters (my friends) house. We spend a week together and then went home in opposite directions. Two months later I quit my job and went to San Diego to live with him for 4 month. Then my visa ran out and I had to leave. We got married six months later in Austria.

Susie

I met my dh on the only blind date I ever went on. I was teaching in a public ms and a good friend said she knew a nice guy at church and thought I'd like him. I hadn't dated in years, was 25 and really was beginning to think I'd never find anyone. I've always been amazed that dh actually called--he's really, really, really shy, and it's an out-of-character thing for him to have done. Guess we were just meant to be.

He had classical music on his boom box and was a vegetarian. I felt like an ax struck me in the chest the first time I laid eyes on him, but I quickly recovered, checked him for police background, credit record, medical record, and then asked if he'd like to have a child. We were both past forty, he'd been divorced a year and I was in my mandatory waiting period for mine. He said he'd "be delighted". The rest was fluid analysis, surgery (tube reversal), and generally getting to know and get along with a stranger. That, of course, has been the challenge.

I would have thought this nuts when I was 20, but middle age is simply different than I expected. What else is new?

I was March of 1997 and I was bored one Sunday.

We were in the same chat room and he was saying some interesting things so I checked his profile and it said his hobby was "nuclear engineering". I was curious so we started talking through instant message. He then had to go to dinner at a friends but asked if we could talk more later. Little did I know when he went to that friends he told them "I met the girl of my dreams"

We talked online later that night and daily for the next couple of weeks. In April I flew to RI (where he was for Surface Warfare Officer school) from WI and we spent 10 days hanging out. We hit it off and knew that was it. He had thought about asking me to elope but didn't ask because we'd been teasing each other about it all week as our families kept teasing us before we met in person.

I went home we continued to talk, I got a letter from him in the mail in May it came certified mail which was weird, it was my engagement ring with a note asking me to marry him.

We were married on Friday the 13th of June 1997. So it was about 3.5 months from meeting online to being married. This year will be our 11th anniversary and we consider it a special on as it will once again be Friday the 13th.

We had met one time about a month before, were introduced but didn't talk. I was with a friend who was very, very wealthy so he figured I was a rich snob (very far from the truth) and not someone he wanted to know. One of his friends who was known as a "ladies man", kept asking me out and I kept turning him down or putting him off, so that just added to my reputation.

Then we saw each other at at party in June and spent the night talking. He invited me river rafting the next day, and in the next 6mths we only spent one day apart. We talked for hours on the phone while he was working, and when not at work, we were together.

By the end of summer, his friends started asking us when we were getting married! It was pretty obvious right from the start that we were heading that direction. My dh had been a kid as his family went through a messy divorce. He didn´t want to repeat that so we decided to wait a while to get married. We also wanted to buy a house first so that we wouldn´t blow our down payment on a wedding.

We waited 3 1/2 years to get married, but then we got married, bought a house and had a baby in one year!

We´ve been together 17 years, and still like each other! :D

I feel hugely blessed to have him in my life.

We were both in InterVarsity Christian Fellowship. He is a year older than me.

We were both at a kick-off-the-school-year event at a field doing lots of things like throwing water balloons, silly races, volleyball, and food. I had to tie my shoe, and as I did so I could hear someone behind me talking about the difficulties and the benefits of being a Christian in a fraternity house. When I was done tying my shoes I was curious to see the person I had been listening to, and walked past to get a glimpse.

I was immediately totally turned OFF. He was waaaaay too pretty and preppy for me! I had always been attracted to long-haired rebels, and this guy looked like your average rich frat boy--blonde, conservative hair cut, and good quality sports apparel. Ugh. ;)

Then I was even MORE turned OFF that year because a friend of mine had a massive crush on him. She memorized his schedule and "bumped into" him in between classes. She found ways to manipulate herself into her life that I still cringe to think of. (In retrospect, my dh's response to this helps show his quality. He knew what she was doing--EVERYONE knew. He was courteous and kind to her despite the pushiness. Her crush eventually faded and they were able to continue as friends over the years.) This friend was ALWAYS rhapsodizing at length about him, and I grew sick and tired of the very sound of his name.

The next year, and the year after that, he ended up being my small group leader through IVCF. For both of those years we were on a leadership team together. I got to know him in a friendly way, and found that he was most definitely NOT as vacuous as I (wrongly!) thought frat boys to be.

At some point a friend asked me if I would ever consider dating him--I said, "NO! Absolutely not. He's waaaaay too holy for me." By that I meant that I had learned over the years to respect his discipline. He was one of the few people I knew who got enough sleep, did his assignments ahead of time, never skipped class, and actually prayed/read his Bible every single day. These were things I embraced in theory but struggled to implement. I am great at big projects but terrible at daily discipline. I found his discipline intimidating.

When he asked me out on a date, I didn't think much of it. He always needed dates for fraternity events. Everyone had been asked out by him in a friendly way, and no one really took it seriously. We went to the party and had a really nice time. When he asked me on a second date, everyone (EVERYONE!) stood up and took notice--he almost never asked the same girl out twice in a row. I was a bit taken aback. I liked him well enough, and had had a good time on our first date, so I said "yes." However, I was firm in my mind that I did NOT feel attracted to him--too pretty, too preppy, too holy. :p

On our second date, we had a nice time. We were dancing and getting tired, so we decided we would rest when the song was over. Accordingly we started to walk off the dance floor. Just as we did so, the deejay put on "Kiss De Girl" from The Little Mermaid. The words just slipped unthinkingly from my mouth: "Oh I love this song!" I instantly regretted saying that, because he pulled me back on the dance floor for a slow dance. I was hideously uncomfortable--I did NOT want to give this nice guy the wrong impression, and I did NOT want to slow-dance with him.

As we danced and talked, I looked everywhere except directly at him. I wished the dance were over. Then he said something--I don't remember what--that startled me into looking directly into his face. I found myself suddenly locked in close eye contact and I just . . . relaxed.

His eyes were so calm . . . friendly . . . peaceful . . . non-threatening. I relaxed. I was intrigued. I wanted to keep looking.

Everything changed for me.

The rest is history. :001_wub:

I thought I would share a cute funny about our first date. We'd been enjoying group fellowship for awhile and then, out of the blue while standing in a circle of friends talking, he looked across the group at me and asked if I'd like to go play racquetball with him the next day. Well, because I had come to so thoroughly enjoy his company and appreciated the opportunity to get to know him better, I said, "Yes", though I'd never played a game of racquetball in my life!" (tennis yes, racquetball, no):-P Wouldn't you know it, the racquetball courts were full and we couldn't get in to play, oh darn the luck! :-P :-P We went to Red Lobster for a meal instead. I was a happy, happy camper. This was just before his Cmas break from med school that year and we spent the whole of his break getting to know one another - rollerskating downtown Charleston, walking the Battery, etc, etc. Fun, fun, fun!! :-D

My first week up at WWU in Bellingham I went to the library to study. I asked this cute guy to watch my books while I went to the bathroom (sure sign that I was a freshman). I came back to the table, started studying (maybe a little flirting) and we started to visit.

It was twu-wuv!

16 years of marriage, 4 kids later -- and the rest is history...

My dh just appeared on my doorstep one day, guess God dropped him there:)

Actually I had been friends with his little sister for a couple of years and knew everyone in his family besides him as he had been living in another state. Anyway, his sister and mom had just moved into the house next door to me and really didn't have much furniture or anything over there yet so they spent most of their time at my house. Just so happens the day he appeared I had invited his mom over for her favorite meal so when he got to town to visit her she wasn't at home and when he called a brother for advice they suggested he try next door and that's where he found me.

After that he came to see me every weekend, and got to see alot more of his family. We were married two years later. Everyone is happy and now his mom gets to eat at my house whenever she wants.:D

We met at Knott's Berry Farm(amusement park) I was there on a church outing with my high school boyfriend of 4 years. He actually introduced us(!)

DH went to my church but I had never met him. As soon as we were introduced I knew I would marry him. That may sound romantic, but LOL my counselor says it's just because my dysfunction radar blipped. :lol:

We took the kids recently to Knott's and it was fun to stand on the exact spot where we met. They thought it was cool.:)

Bet that got your attention. :) Actually, we grew up four houses down from each other. Our neighborhood consisted of 25 houses, so when a new family moved in, it was a big deal. His family had just moved in, and my family went to meet them. I still remember standing there thinking how cute he was. However, I was 11 and he was 15. Over time, we became good friends and would go to movies, amusement parks, etc. Then, one thing led to another, and here we are today ready to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary in August. Our wedding was quite special since everyone in the neighborhood was invited.

Diann

Two friends and I were moving out of the dorms into an apartment over Christmas break. The light switches weren't working in the apartment, and being the 4th year electrical engineering student that I was, I couldn't figure out why. We used it as an excuse to go knock on a neighbor's door where I had seen some cute boys. I was embarrassed to learn that it was just the circuit breaker, but I was thrilled to have met this really hot guy :drool5: until I found out he was graduating and in the process of moving out of the apartment. Oh well. The other guy (future dh) was staying there and another friend was going to move in with him. We became good friends with them. My roommate had the hots for one of them but when he was not interested in her, she decided that none of us could ever date either of them. Whatever, I wasn't interested in either of them so I didn't really care. Well, most Thursday nights were spent at their apt. having margarita parties. We all went out to eat, did the bars, and went to parties together often. All was well. Until my roommate started accusing me of having something going on with the guy who turned her down (future dh). I wasn't interested in him. She got weird about things. Then one night, after having a bit too much to drink at a party, :cheers2: I walked home with future dh, he invited me up to his apt to hang out (we hung out a lot). The next thing I know, we were staring into each other's eyes and we kissed. I think it came as a shock to both of us, but we liked it. :lol: We started seeing each other on the sly since my roommate had a huge tizzy when she thought I had a thing for him. He was graduating that semester so there was no need for her to get worked up over it. His roommate knew all about it and helped run interference for us. By the time his graduation came around, we were helplessly in love. :001_tt1:

We had a long distance relationship for nearly 3 years. I finally decided it wasn't working out, dared him to propose to me, quit my job, and moved to Chicago.

We both worked in a medical lab that specialized in STD testing, particularly HIV and herpes. And also some non-STD viral testing, such as chickenpox, measles, etc.

DH was the supervisor of customer service and courier service. I was a lab assistant.

DH likes to joke that we met when our gloved hands touched over a test tube. It wasn't quite like that, but close!

By the way, we were employees, NOT clients of the lab!

Michelle T

I was 18 and dh was 36.5. I was still interested in highschool bf that had broken up with me. Dh was in a long distance relationship. He was the wed night bible study teacher at our church and friends with my parents. We helped organize the singles group activities. About a year after we met I started to realize that I was having feelings for him. I really loved how he had such a heart for the Lord. We started meeting for lunch because he worked near the university I was attending. After a couple of months of that my dad told me I wasn't allowed to see him anymore apart from church because he was too old for me. Being the obedient formerly homeschooled 19 yr that I was, I cried and said okay. For 2 weeks we didn't e-mail or talk on the phone, and then one evening my dad came in my room to talk to me and said that he had been wrong in saying that I couldn't go out with him. So I e-mailed dh and we started meeting again and then a month later when I was almost 20 he asked if I wanted to go out with him on an official date. I said no I needed to focus on school. I told my mom the next day and she told me that I was crazy and that you don't put love on hold for school. So I called him up and said okay. That was Jan 2000. We got engaged in July 2001 on dh's 40th birthday. I was 21. We got married 3 months later. We have been married 6.5 yrs now.

and working at Walmart in the lay away department.. He got a job there quite awhile after I did.

I thought he was good looking and we would chat once in awhile when he would head to the back to clock out..urhot.gif

One day he was talking about where he lived(he just moved into the city where I lived) so I asked when he was having an open house party and pretty much invited myself over(very brave of me since I was a shy person) 377.gif

So that night a few of us ended up hanging out..

5_8_11.gifThe next night, he called and asked me to go to the movies~of course I went

And the rest is history..

So now he always tells everyone he got his wife on Lay Away at Walmart million$smile.gif but of course he got a great deal~well, I did too 11_1_206.gif

(I feel sure that I've told this before, but since it's a new board, and somebody asked...;-)

My dh and I met at church...and he had just told God that he wasn't going to hunt around anymore; he would just wait until the right woman was plunked in his path.

Shortly after that...I came back to the church where he was attending (I had went there before, and then kind of fell away; dh had his conversion experience during that time, and started attending our church after I had left). Plunked down in his path, as it were.

My grandmother had told me about a man at church that was so nice, and so handsome (I took this with a grain of salt, because, well...she's my grandmother).

The very day I came back, I crept in late (nervous about going back to church), sat down next to my grandmother, and immediately noticed a guy I didn't recognize (this is a little, rural church that does NOT have numerous visitors, lol; new folks are quite noticeable). When I asked who he was, my grandmother smiled, and said (with just a touch of smugness), "That's the man I was telling you about."

It wasn't one of those situations like where people say, "I knew as soon as I saw him/her that we would be married", but I did think...something. :-) (Something that I shouldn't repeat here, and probably shouldn't have been thinking about in church). It was more like a Joey From Friends moment...

"How YOU doin'?"

We immediately 'made each other's acquaintance', and started dating soon after. We were married just short of a year after we met. (I hate to admit this, but I wanted to elope right after he proposed, and he and my grandmother had to convince me to wait a few months, so that his family could come down, and we could have a wedding to celebrate what was really an incredible gift from God. (I was impatient, what can I say? We were waiting until we were married, to, well, you know. :-)

The best part about it, though, is that he had been radically changed through his new relationship with Christ just before we met, and when I experienced a similar change, shortly after going back to church...he was the first person I told. I knew that he would understand, and it was almost as if we were the only two people in a new little world. It was a really special beginning to a new life.

It's been rocky since then, to be quite honest, but I can always look back at that early time, and remember how good God was to us, and what's possible, when we're both trying.

Thanks for asking the question. It's been good for me to remember.

Neither of us are African and I always chuckle at the irony that I traveled all the way to Africa to marry a white man.

DH was so white (not an albino) that people would just stare at him. He was using this hair product that lightened his hair white. I mean, it looked like lemon ice or something. Now he is just a normal blond.

I met my DH on a dating website. I think it was called love and seek dot com. I had been on it a few weeks and got bored with it so I went to remove my profile one Sunday evening. While in the process, I was private messaged by DH. I told him I wanted to just be friends because his wife had just left him a few months earlier for another man. Through our conversation I felt a connection to him, though. He was parenting his two daughters alone and just seemed so wonderful. And he was hot. We messaged for a few days and then he sent me a cell phone on that Wednesday so we could talk and he could pay for it. (I was scraping by with three very young kids) I got it Friday. We called it the "love phone". When I first heard his voice, he made me feel so safe and loved. He sounds like John Goodman. (Looks like Brad Pitt, but better looking :tongue_smilie:) On Sunday, my ex came over and brought my kids home from a weekend visit. He yelled at me for something in front of the kids. I can't remember what it was about and he told my kids I was a F*%$#@^ C*. Nice.

I was so upset, I got the kids settled and went and called DH. He made me feel better and as I was hanging up I told him I loved him! I'd never even met him! We'd only been talking for a week! I hung up quickly...

He called right back.

Him: Did you say what I think you said?

Me: I did!

Him: Do you?

Me: I do!

Him: Me, too!

I started crying and told him I missed him and made some plans.

We were both tied to our counties because we both had custody of our kids. It seemed hopeless.

Long story short...My ex moved releasing me from my obligation to stay in the same area. DH and I dated for 6 months traveling back and forth between Dallas and Houston. He proposed in January and we were married Memorial Day weekend. We'll be married 5 years this May!

The story and my feelings for him bring tears to my eyes because I love him so much and can. not. believe. how much God blessed us! We fit like a perfect puzzle. My kids needed a dad, his kids needed a mom. We needed and wanted each other. Desperately!

Hey! I think it's nap time! love006.gif

Guest Virginia Dawn

We met at church in Key West, Florida. :-)

I was 15 he was 22. He was stationed there with the Navy, so was my father. Our first date was on my 16th birthday, he took me to the Hukilau Polynesian restaurant, he had reserved a table outside, but it rained. He forgot to turn off his headlights and the battery to his car went dead. We were married 4 months after I turned 17, 3 weeks later he shipped off to Sicily. I stayed and finished up my cc classes, and waited for the Navy to figure out what paperwork was needed to get me overseas. I got tired of living with my mother and without my husband, so I got a passport and bought myself a plane ticket and went to Sicily without the Navy's infernal paperwork completed.

I met my dh when I went to do a 24 hour "interview" at a wilderness program with "at risk" youth. DH saw me walking down the trail and it was love at first site for him. I only briefly saw him during the 24 hours as I was with another group. I accepted the job and started two weeks later. He said he saw me again on my first day, but it didn't meet him until later in the week. He asked me to go to a party with him during our off time. We feel in love and got married in 4 months time. That was almost 15 years ago!