Menu

How did you meet your dh?

I was a bridesemaid at my friends wedding and he was the brother of the groom and one of the best men. We didn't even talk at the wedding! About 10 months later his whole family came to PA where we lived at the time and where my friends family lives. We may have talked a few minutes I really don't remember. I thought he was cute and he was very attracted to me (his words not mine! lol) About 2 months later, out of the blue he called me on the phone. He didn't call me again for another week, but then we talked on the phone every night for about 2 weeks( I lived in PA he lived in IN). I was just about to tell him I didn't want to continue a long term relationship because I had had a previous long term relationship that ended up awful. He asked if he could come out to visit me and I said yes.

2 months later we were engaged and 11 months after that we were married and on May 23 we will be married for 10 years!

We met in high school - at the beginning of sophomore year.

By the middle of sophomore year, I knew he was in love with me (he didn't know it himself, yet, lol). I felt ... that this was destiny and inevitable, and that feeling scared me so much that when he finally did declare his love I shot him down and didn't speak to him again until senior year. The summer before senior year, while I was still not speaking to him, he sent me a copy of Richard Bach's "The Bridge Across Forever." That did the trick.

However, we were not planning to go to college together. So we got together, and then broke up after graduation. We went to college in different states. By the end of freshman year, though, we were back together as a long-distance relationship. After I graduated, he had a nervous breakdown, and my parents tried to break us up for my own good :001_rolleyes:. Once THAT was over, a year after college, we finally got married.

So we've known each other for 24 years, and have been through enough ups and downs and tough spots that I think we're solid ;-) It's just always been us, since I was 14.

Dw and I met on the Internet. We always hasten to add that we were not looking for love; we were on a mailing list about a mutual interest and discovered we had mutual friends as well. Even after we met in person, we didn't immediate fall in love. In fact, both of us were so shy that it took us 6 months to have a second date! But that time dw made this incredible minestrone, and you know what they say about the way to a man's heart... I went into the office the next day and cornered my boss to ask her what she knew about diamonds. We were engaged six weeks later. :)

we met at work, and our first "date" was a group get together on the fourth of July-the group met and went to the fireworks, then out to eat afterward. Truly, the only person of the entire group I had no memory of was him, and ditto for him!

We soon noticed each other though. We made ourselves wait a year before talking about marriage (we had both kissed a few toads before LOL!) but when the end of the year arrived, we quickly planned our life together. We both knew a good thing when we found it. 15 years and three kids later, we marvel at finding each other in this world, still.

I met my dh on my 22nd bday at a poetry reading at a local cafe. I walked away from the evening telling my friend that was the man I was going to marry. 2 weeks later we were living together. (My poor parents!). 6 months later we were engaged and a year after that married. That was almost 15 years ago and I still say it's the best birthday present I could have ever gotten!

Dee-aitch and I met at a Muscular Dystrophy Association summer camp in 1985.

My dear cousin (7yo at the time), who had never walked without crutches, was believed to have a rare form of MD. My aunt thought it would be nice if I would accompany d-cuz to summer camp. All campers required attendants, whether they had crutches, wheelchairs, or iron lungs.

Now camping with my d-cuz at some faraway mosquito den was not exactly how I wanted to spend my first week of summer. :glare: I agreed to do it because my mom said that it would be fun. :rolleyes: (I should mention that I'd never been to a summer camp before.)

The first leg of this trip required two hours in a mini-bus with no air conditioning. I wanted to bawl before we even left town. We arrived in Houston to board a real bus with AC and that's when I noticed a very tall, very blond guy in a Red Cross t-shirt waaaaaaaay across the parking lot. I stared for a bit, recovered, then thought how nice it would be for him to be the one. He was that. cute. :drool5:

He didn't end up on my bus, but he did end up at the camp. It turns out that this was his third summer to attend MDA camp as an attendant and lifeguard. While I was pretending to not have fun, d-cuz thought that the tall blond guy was a barrel of laughs and spent all his pool time splashing and playing with him. Tall, blond guy struck up a conversation with me at some point, and the rest is pretty much history. :lurk5:

We dated long-distance and got married in 1988. As our 20th anniversary approaches, it's still a match made in Heaven. :001_tt1:

(D-cuz, as it turns out, never had MD, but another rare bone disorder. It was treated over the years, and we watched him dance, using only a cane, with his bride at their wedding in 2002. :))

These stories are wonderful!

Dh and I met at a rugby party at the Univ. of Florida. He'd been playing, I was attending as moral support for a friend of mine who had a crush on another rugby player. Funny thing is, though, at the time, I had a black eye and stitches down the top of my nose (thanks to no glasses and a VERY clean sliding glass door earlier the week). I saw dh across the room and was absolutely smitten. We met - he was not totally put-off by my face. We had our first date five days later. Took us four years to get married. 22 years since our first meeting this month.

At the time I met dh, I was dating someone else that I thought was the one. Dh and I were camping at a Christian event. He was so quiet and, I thought at the time, kind of nerdy. So not my type at all. Fast forward 2 years and we started dating. He is actually very handsome (so many people told me that before, but it's true, I just hadn't seen past his quietness.)

We are so very different from each other. I was the rebel in high school whereas he was the hard working, clean living kind. We would never, never, never have hung out together had we gone to the same high school. Our fifteenth anniversary is coming up in late spring.

When I noticed that he (DH) kept staring :blink:at me! I asked his friend while we were sitting on the sofa watching the NY Mets work their way to the penant in 1986, "Why does ___ keep looking at me,:001_cool: and smiling like that?" He just hugged me close and said, "Does he? I didn't notice. That's just his way. That's why the guys all call him Smiley." So.....I thought that was just his way....but he was looking at me because I was the ONE!!!:001_wub:

After several years of marriage (and his friend was an attendant in our wedding), I discovered that he went home and told his parents that he had met his future wife, and her name was Susan....he failed to mention that I was dating his best friend, and that we had never been out on a single date.

When his friend graduated from college :seeya:that year and moved back home 1/2 a continent away,:auto: DH started to call me on a regular basis. I thought that he was looking out for his buddy's gal,:glare: but he was getting to know me better, and letting me get to know him.

It didn't take long for me to realize that DH was the ONE for me as well.:iagree:

This June will make 20 years of wedded bliss.:party:

We worked in different departments and had chatted now and then in the lunch room, etc. He was on the mend from a painful divorce, and I was a single mom of three boys that had just graduated from college. He asked me out and I turned him down because I was afraid to date someone so recently wounded. I'd been a single mom for seven years and was very lonely, but I was trying to do the right thing for my kids. A mutual friend told me I was crazy because he was a really nice guy...she suggested I go out with him as a friend. I remember her saying, "You don't have to MARRY him!" LOL! So I told him I'd go if he still wanted to, and then he did something really sweet. He told me to bring my kids along. He said he'd bring his youngest son and we'd all go to pizza and a movie. So we took our kids with us on our first date! We had a really good time, and started dating from then on -- off and on again with kids joining us. Dh and I started to become really good friends and then we fell in love. We dated 1 1/2 years before we got married. Somehow we both brought out the best in each other, so refreshing after both of us having had painful pasts.

love068.gif

BTW, dh was a seeker that wanted to go to church. I had been in church many years, but had fallen away. Dh knew I needed to go back, so he was a real encourager. I actually went back to church just to encourage him. In the long run, we both had major spiritual awakenings and made a major commitment to follow Christ together in our relationship. We are both in ministry leadership now. God used us both to help each other get back to where we belong! That is the best part of our love story.:Angel_anim:

Blessings,

Lucinda

I met my dh playing softball, he was in left field and I was in right field. No kidding. He's one of those guys who can dive and roll while making a catch and not lose the ball. I was impressed.

We dated for four months, engaged for three months, and have been happily married for over ten years.

He's the best.:D

I'd been married and divorced young, then had another bad relationship. I was pretty much done with men. I went through a year where I dated several people but kept them all at arms' length. Then one Sunday I went to Sunday School and met a guy who'd been visiting while I was vacation. I thought he was nice-looking, but there were no immediate sparks or anything. After SS, I went to church, and the new guy came in and asked if he could sit with me. I think he was just looking for a familiar face. On the first Sunday of the month, we always joined hands and sang Blessed Be the Tie That Binds at the end of the service. So here I am holding hands with a total stranger, and I "heard" a thought in my head: "This is the man you're going to marry." I thought to myself, "yeah, right!"

We were seeing a lot of each other at church and singles' group activities, and we finally went out alone one evening. That night he kissed me, and in the interest of full disclosure, I told him that I was not interested in a serious or exclusive relationship with anyone. But we kept getting closer seemingly against my will, and I knew he really was the person I was supposed to marry. We got engaged 3 months after we met, but I was still really scared of getting married again, so we set a date 14 months in the future, thinking I'd be ready by the time the date rolled around. Well, as the date got closer, I kept telling him that I wanted to postpone the date and he kept saying no, you've kept me waiting this long and we are going to get married when we planned.

So we did get married, and I am happy to say that he did not turn into a different person after the wedding. Fifteen years and 3 kids later, I still get weak in the knees when he winks at me. :001_smile:

We met in Freshman English class. Dh knew I was the one, and passed me a note asking me to marry him. We just became friends instead.

Eight years later, I called and asked him if he still wanted to get married. He rushed over with a ring. He still had the note from English class in his grandmother's hope chest.

Picking him was the smartest decision I've ever made. We have been through heck, and a lot of high water, but we just keep growing closer.

We'll have our 17th anniversary in June.

Edited to add that our first kiss was at our wedding.

Oh my goodness, long story short........

Dh was on the track team at U of Alabama. My dad was a track booster. One weekend we took some of the team members and some prospective track guys out on our boat at the lake. Future dh was there to help draft someone from his home state. We talked briefly.

Next year he saw me in a bar with my date, he remembered me and his buddies dared him to go up and talk to me. He did.

Then he asked his track coach how old I was, and when he found out I was still in high school, he thought I was too young. BUT, coach had told my parents he was going to ask me out........so coach MADE him ask me out..... and that was that!

He stayed an extra year in college to hang with me and then we were married after my sophmore year.

We met in a chat room. We "talked" for 6 hours the first night. At that time we lived in different cities in TX, 4 hours apart. DH said he knew after the first talk that he would marry me someday. I was recently divorced from my college sweetheart, so to say I was gun shy was an understatement.

After he badgered me for several weeks, I finally agreed to meet in person. That was all she wrote... My friends all called him my knight in shining armor. He proposed to me at a Medieval Times Dinner Tournament on my birthday, about 4 months after we first met. I sold my house and moved to be near him. We got married at the Excalibur Hotel in Las Vegas 9 months later and have now been married almost 10 years.

Well, as arranged as you can get in a small town, in the middle of Indiana. The first time we met, I had just moved to a new town of 500 people. Dh had lived there his entire life. I was in 7th grade and he was a Junior. My mother adored him...and everyone said that we would grow up and get married. We both swore there was no way, as he was doing the "high-school" thing and dating other girls, and I was so much younger.

Fast forward a few years...I am a Senior in HS, and he had joined the Air Force right out of school. I had only seen him a couple of times since he had graduated, even though he was stationed only a couple of hours away. He came home to visit one weekend and I noticed a "cool" new sports car which did not belong in our little town, My best friend (who I lived with) and I decided to find out who's car it was... it was DH's! He came back to our house to hang out for awhile, and he came back every break (he worked 6 days, off 3) from that point on...until we got married two years later.

A couple things I like to tell people: He took me to prom that year, and my boyfriend had the coolest car :lol: At one point while we were dating, he told me that if we ever broke up, he would not date another HS girl...we were too high maintenance :glare: and he HATES it when I tell people that he was a Senior when I was in eighth grade :001_rolleyes:

Dh was my Greek study buddy in seminary. I never worked so hard as on our study dates. He was my doulos (slave) driver! But Greek is a Romance language - and we started to become more than buddies.

Dh was very focused on his studies and as soon as he realized what was happening - he tried to break things off with me. But he just couldn't do it!

I already shared this once before on this board but we got engaged over an argument. I can't remember what started the argument but I do remember hissing "I'm not leaving this restaurant until you propose". His hissed reply - "Fine! Will you marry me?!"

We were engaged for two years - time enough to figure out if we really meant it! We've been married 15 years.

No blood relation. We were both married to other people at the time but both having problems in our respective marriages. He took my breath away the first time I laid eyes on him and I felt that my attraction was shamefully obvious :blushing: but he said that he didn't even know so I guess that it wasn't. We saw each other frequently over the next two weeks at family events and then we didn't see each other again for three years. The next time we saw each other, both of our marriages were coming to an end and that's when the sparks really began to fly. :001_tt1: We dated for three months and then got married. That was 17 years and four children ago and as Steve Martin said, we still got the heat! :drool5: I love him more today than I ever have and he still takes my breath away. :001_wub: The family was seriously freaked out at the time but all now agree that we were meant to be together and that it all worked out for the best.

how funny! i was just posting about this in the daughter-suitor-age gap thread, lol.

I met dh when my younger brother transferred into a different Boy Scout Troop. I was 14, and he was the Assistant Scoutmaster. He was single, no kids. The Scout Master was a mutual friend and had talked him into helping out w/ the troop. DH had been helping Mutual Friend build an airplane.

i had NO clue that he was even remotely interested till I hit 18 and we started dating. Found out years later that he had mentioned to mutual friend [and MF's wife] that "she has a good head on her shoulders. Not your typical teen. If nobody has snagged her by the time she hits 18 I'll try my hand..."

I was 19 when we married in an airplane hangar. he was 31.

This last January = 14 years and 5 kiddos.

This is what I keep telling my single friends. It's not going to happen for you in a bar. Shared interests and time. Not meaning to hijack, and I might have missed a few posts. ...

What's funny is that while we were on holidays on Mexico, I was chatting with a man. He's a German bush pilot married to a Canadian MD who does nuclear medicine in Saskatchewan. Intrigued by this combination, I asked him how they met--he said he was drunk in a bar in Edmonton while travelling and she was there (she went to the UofA, aka University of Alberta). They didn't marry until 8 years later. However, I still agree with your advice, because this story is the exception to the rule.

My dh and I met at a local country dance club back in the early '90s when country music and line dancing were really popular. I'm a sucker for cowboys (or at least cowboy wannabes), and he fit the role perfectly.

I REALLY knew I was going to like him when, after we had talked for a while and I was getting ready to go home, he gave me HIS telephone number instead of asking for mine. He asked me to call him later when I got home, and I did.

He's a really sweet, considerate, very generous guy, but very strong and protective, too. That combination in a cowboy hat was too much to resist!

I met my dh at a singles' group at church. A friend had suggested it to me b/c he knew someone who went there and found a man. I just wanted some friends my own age, and thought it seemed a little desperate to attend a church singles' group to find a man.

So, the entire week before our first date, I kept thinking of ways I would tell dh I didn't want to go out again. When he picked me up that night, I told him in the car, "I just want you to know that I didn't start coming to XYZ to find a man!" By the time I got home that night, I was worried that he'd never call me again.:(

Two months later we had our second date. He took me to POWELL'S BOOKS. That's when I knew he was a keeper. ;) 8 months later we were married.

Dh and I met in a bar ;), well, the bar area of a Mexican restaurant during happy hour one Friday evening. A friend who I taught with and I were there sipping margaritas and gobbling up the free happy hour food. This was the thing to do on a Friday after work for young professionals in the 80's. Dh was there with fellow engineers doing the same thing. His friend and my friend began talking, hit it off, and left the two of us standing there looking at our shoes while they chatted at the other end of the bar area! We began to talk, found out we had many common interests, and that was that. We began dating two days later, spent every moment together, and were married the next summer. I don't think we would have met any other way. Dh is very quiet and would never had approached me to talk. We needed to be thrown together!

His dad still laughs over dh meeting me in a bar of all places!

I came home from going to school in Israel to live with and help take care of my grandfather who was 92. As soon as I came home I started the paper work to join the Air Guard to pay for grad school. Grand plan was take a semester and summer off to do the guard thing and then finish up. I had no intention of ever getting married I wanted a career in Archeology on was on a fats track to that. I got a job managing the video store at the end of the street while I wait to go to basic.

In the meantime dh had bought the house across the street from my grandfather. Dh came in the video store to rent videos. Next night he comes in and asked if I would like to come over for tea and see his kittens. I say yes only because in 3 days I was leaving for basic. We had our first date the night before I left for basic. Went to see Lawrence of Arabia onthe big screen and eat at Pizza Uno.

He drove me to the airport to go to San Anton for basic and I remember taking my seat on the airplane and thinking, this guy is too good to be true and he will mess up all my plans this whole thing goes NO further. However dh wrote me every day in basic. Letters that were platonic, what the weather was, this neighbors says Hi, ect.... I got letters from almost no one else. He slowly wore me down with his letters.

I went to basic as a 29 year old the oldest person in our flight. Every one else was 18 to 21. So I was kinda of odd man out :001_huh: and a bit lonely.

Once I got what they called patio leave, which meant I could make and take phone calls, we began to have 4 to 6 hour phone conversations. I left for basic in April and finished tech school in late Aug. I was starting school in Sep. We had our second date. Which was going to see the stage play Les MisĂƒÂ©rables at if I remember right metropolitan theater in Chicago. Next day we went to the justic of the peace and got married. That was 89 and I am so very glad that he messed up my plans :001_wub:

I had been divorced for about a year. My mother picked up a singles magazine for our city at the grocery store. This was before the internet. She totally shocked me by asking me to choose a few men to write to. So we went through it together and picked the best ones: DH, an endocrinologist, and a CPA. I actually met the CPA, who was a real nice guy and impressed me because he had a retirement account at age 28, but I thought the endocrinologist was a major intellectual snob after talking with him on the phone, so I didn't meet him. He kept bugging me about which books I was currently reading and it was a Danielle Steel book, which I didn't admit to.

After DH and I met, we never looked at anyone else again.

RC

I met DH in high school. I was the new girl, freshman year. He was the good-looking percussionist. But, we were only friends. I secretly was madly in love with him, but he'd tell me about the girls he'd take out on dates. I enjoyed being with him way too much to let my love feelings get in the way. I knew that I'd marry him someday, but I didn't listen to that voice.

I got married (to another person), moved away, went to college, had a child, was going through a divorce when one day I get an email out of the blue from DH. We started emailing, calling, and finally visiting one another. I moved back to KS and in with him. We eloped 3 years later on a trip to Niagara Falls.

He's my best friend, and I'm SO happy to have him as my husband!

DH was the cute guy down the hall. I locked myself out one night, and not one single neighbor that I knew was home. He babysat me, chatted me up and let me take him for a bite to eat once the building super returned.

He actually suggested continuing the conversation. I said great, give me 20 minutes to grab a shower (I had just come from the gym). Turns out, he meant continue the conversation AT ANOTHER TIME. Smoooooooooth on my part.

He slid a note under my door the next day asking if I wanted to go to the Chicago Auto Show. That was 1995.

Dh was the ship's carpenter/bosun (boatswain) aboard the Spirit of Massachusetts which sails out of Boston harbor. He was working with Spirit for a season, when I came aboard as a passenger for a week of whale watching and sailing. It was a trip put on by the New England Aquarium.

We spent five days together on the schooner during the trip (and, I might add that there were no showers in that time), one more day together when I "accidentally" missed my plane, then went our separate ways -- he to NY, me to NC. We spent a month apart before he could complete his term with Spirit and drive to NC to visit me. We were engaged soon after he arrived and married five months later. It's been 17 years since that time. When we think about our meeting, and the serendipidous nature of it, we say, "We didn't get lucky, we got led."

I still get that tickly feeling in my stomach when I think about those days. :001_wub:

Doran

My mom played on a billiards team in a bar and met dh there. She kept telling him about my sister and "how gorgeous she is!" He said, "Yeah, isn't she like, 15?" Mom, "Yes, but, you don't want my other daughter, she's too...big...for you." Whether she meant fat or tall, no one knows for sure...dh swears I was not fat but well, with the town homecoming queen for a sis, the standards were pretty high...

I met him a week after that. Dh says he fell for me the first time he met me. We were married 2 years later.

My freshman year of college, his sophomore, we met at a Friday night Math/Physics Club function. It happened to be my 18th birthday (he remembers meeting me at an earlier MPC function, but since I don't remember, it doesn't count). I was a Computer Science major. Back then there were few females in the department, so all of my friends were guys. I showed up with some of my buddies, trying to avoid some other guy who had asked me out. I DID NOT want to go out with him. I had told him so on numerous occasions, but he was persistent.

Anyway, some of my friends had thrown me a surprise birthday party in cafeteria for supper, so we were talking about that when DH mentioned that his birthday had been the day before. He was one day older than me, but already a sophomore!

He didn't ask me out until a few months later (he thought I was actually dating one of my buddies, I found out later that that guy really liked me, but I was so naive, I had no clue). After he walked me back to the dorm after our second date I went up to my room, sat on my bed, sighed, and knew I wanted to marry a man just like him (not necessarily him) someday.

That week he asked me to be his girlfriend. The following weekend we were in the basement of the library, off in some corner cubicles doing our homework. I finished mine first so I pulled my chair around next to his. I leaned in close to see the Greek homework he was working on (Theology major!). My head was next to his, then he turned his head and...

Oh, wait, you just wanted to know how we met? I think I covered that. :D

Want more? Ok...He asked me to marry him a few weeks later, and I told him to ask me again in a few years. Nine months later I told him I didn't want to wait a few more years, so we told our parents we were going to get married the next summer (9 months later). My parents hadn't yet met him! We were 19 1/2 when we got married, and we've been married for nearly 18 years.

During my senior year in college, a young man kept asking me out. I didn't want to go out with him! I had excuses for a while, but finally he caught me at a time when I had no excuse. He was in the National Guard, and he asked me to their "military ball." He had a female friend who wanted to go to, so he set her up with a friend of his...and that guy turned out to be my dh!!

Husband number 1: We met in AA. Were friends for nearly a year, started dating, got married.

Husband number 2: When my divorce was final, I was given a partial refund from my attorney. I used some of it for a 3 month membership on Match.com. I met DH there. We had our first date at Bennigans. I decided he wouldn't be interested in jumping back into my season of life. He decided that I would not be interested in "in old guy". We stayed in touch, dated a bit and got serious a few months later.

Last night, after a day of shuffling school kids around on his bus, applying for his teaching certificate to get a more wage appropriate job, he took his tired self and my oldest out to the local free skatepark. Oldest child was upset about "girlfriend" issues and DH wanted to be around in case he wanted to talk. He has "jumped" back into this season of life spectacularly and I am absolutely smitten, enthralled and in love with my "old guy".

He used to work in a pet store. My neighbor was a teacher and I went with her to get some fish for her class. I thought he was cute and kept going in the Pet Store for different things. I would talk to him and found out he was in to bikes and asked him if he'd help me put together a bike I had just had shipped down from out of state. He said yes and I ask him if I could treat him to dinner and a movie to thank him... the rest is history

We met in Freshman English class. Dh knew I was the one, and passed me a note asking me to marry him. We just became friends instead.

Eight years later, I called and asked him if he still wanted to get married. He rushed over with a ring. He still had the note from English class in his grandmother's hope chest.

Picking him was the smartest decision I've ever made. We have been through heck, and a lot of high water, but we just keep growing closer.

We'll have our 17th anniversary in June.

Edited to add that our first kiss was at our wedding.

First kiss at the wedding....You are sooooo cool!

"That's it"...Anne Elliot replied, "They fell in love over poetry!"