Menu

What's the best read-aloud you've done with your dc?

We have a couple of favorites from the Sonlight list and TOG.

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Carry On Mr. Bowditch

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

And one more but the name is escaping me. It's about a boy who loses his eyesight, then goes to blind school and receives a guide dog of his own... It is SO on the tip of my tongue! What is it??? I'm certain that when I hit 'Submit Reply' it will come to me. :lol:

We have a couple of favorites from the Sonlight list and TOG.

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Carry On Mr. Bowditch

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

And one more but the name is escaping me. It's about a boy who loses his eyesight, then goes to blind school and receives a guide dog of his own... It is SO on the tip of my tongue! What is it??? I'm certain that when I hit 'Submit Reply' it will come to me. :lol:

Follow my Leader (or something close)?

* The Doll People, The Meanest Doll in the World - the series - really engaging, funny, and appealing for girls and boys

mgs002.dd.gif

* The Racketty-Packetty House by Frances Hodgson Burnett (nice follow-up to books on dolls - this one's sweet and funny)

* Humphrey the Hamster series - absolutely fabulous

* Gooseberry Park by Cynthia Rylant

* Tale of Despereaux

* Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane :thumbup: :thumbup:

* Indian in the Cupboard

* Harry, the Poisonous Centipede

* Roald Dahl books - we love Roald Dahl

* Detectives in Togas (as well as its sequel)

So many...but certainly classics like the Lion Witch and Wardrobe series, and the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (which we did the year long study on) woudl be up there. I remember my son loving Ann of Green Gables! And last year we read Ivanhoe which was surprisingly a real hit.

This year we are reading Cloudstreet, an Australian novel, and it took a while but we are loving it.

I dont think we have ever made it through a book we didnt really love. I pick carefully- although even I am surprised by what works and what we end up dropping.

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr Suess. My kids loved that when they were little and they periodically bring it down now, sit on their Daddy's lap and have them read it to them again. You need to get the pic here. My dd is 19 and weighs a little over 100 lbs. My son is 17, 6' 4" and weighs about 150 pounds and they still are able to pile up into Dad's lap in a recliner and laugh when he reads the story to them and then they take turns reading it to us.

Most of our favorite read alouds are historical fiction:

Calico Captive

Sign of the Beaver

Johnny Tremain

Amos Fortune Free Man

Carry on Mr. Bowditch

Bound for Oregon

Across Five Aprils

Rifles for Watie

Little House Series

Edited by LNC

I think our all-time favorite has been A Little Princess. My son was 9 or 10 when we read it and I wasn't so sure how he would feel about it, but it was surprisingly fabulous.

There were actually many, many books we've read with SL in the earlier years that the kids had begged me to keep going with when I said it was time to stop. That has lessened as we reached Core 3, I'm assuming because everything is now historical fiction without any books just thrown in for fun. Still great books that I'm glad I'm reading to my kids, but just not the same as the younger years for us.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

A Wrinkle In Time was a book that my kids wouldn't let me stop reading. I think I just about read that book straight through, as they just kept begging for more!

Red Sails to Capri was a hit, and so was Cheaper by the Dozen and its sequel Belles on Their Toes.

The play version of Our Hearts Were Young and Gay is quite funny, so we enjoyed that, too.

The Great Turkey Walk was a fabulous read-aloud. We also enjoyed In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson.

This summer we read Bible stories, for cultural literacy. We are atheists, so my kids were not familiar with all the Bible stories. I'm glad we did this!

Johnny Tremain. I'll never forget that Saturday. We had been reading it for 20-30 minutes during the week, but that day we all sat around the living room and I began to read. At the end of every chapter, they begged me to keep going and jumped up to get me drinks. I read for hours. The sun literally crossed the sky and set and the book was finished. I can still imagine hearing them call out, "You CANT stop NOW!"

So many great read-alouds here, many of them mentioned already. I'll add Arabian Nights, King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table, Little Women, and My Side of the Mountain. But, my best memory is reading These Happy Golden Years by Wilder. Our electric was out during a snow storm and we huddled around the fire reading this awesome book. I'll never forget it because we were all so engrossed and I read it beginning to end. :)

Margaret

So many, but here are some of our favs...

Boxcar Children

Misty of Chincoteague

Trumpet of the Swan

Stuart Little -- we LOVE EB White

Five Children and It

The Wheel on the School

The Year of Miss Agnes

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

Caddie Woodlawn

Next will be Carry On Mr. Bowditch, so very happy to see that book mentioned a few times.

Edited by Mama2Three

My son's favorite was The Princess and The Goblin (MacDonald). My daughter's favorites were Just So Stories (Kipling) and The Boxcar Children. My other daughter liked Five Little Peppers (though I have no idea why!) My husband and I are greatly enjoying The Jungle Book and found a lot to talk about in The Borrowers.

One I rarely see included on these lists is The Real Thief by William Steig. One of my very, very favorites to read aloud...

Yes, we loved this as well as many books by William Steig. :)

And also Dominic by the same author. We have the audiobook and have worn it out on car trips.

Yes, this one also.

We still do read alouds for both of my kids. Our favorites so far:

Older ds

Come On Seabiscuit (ds didn't know what to do as my voice broke and I cried through the ending! LOL)

Homer Price

Boy of the Pyramids

Younger ds

The Giving Tree (need tissues!)

A Tree Named Steve (more dang tissues!)

Benjamin West and His Cat Grimalkin

Edited by Tree House Academy

My son's favorite was The Princess and The Goblin (MacDonald). My daughter's favorites were Just So Stories (Kipling) and The Boxcar Children. My other daughter liked Five Little Peppers (though I have no idea why!) My husband and I are greatly enjoying The Jungle Book and found a lot to talk about in The Borrowers.

My older ds is reading The Borrowers right now on his own. He loves it.