Menu

I thought this was a bad word, but I hear it all the time....

Is sucks, when used in this context ("___ sucks,") a bad word?  

1. 1. Is sucks, when used in this context ("___ sucks,") a bad word?

• distateful
    • perfectly acceptable

suck/sucks

I was raised not to say this, as the implication of "___ sucks" was a sexual act.

I did use it once. I said that some class or another sucked. My mother stopped me and said, "it sucks what?" I said I didn't know what, that's just what my friends said. She explained what the implied direct obejct was and told me that I shouldn't say it. I was too scared to ever use it again. :)

But I have heard commercials for two different companies that use this word. Also, when the news was interviewing a high school girl, with her mother standing next to her, she used the word on the air.

I'm beginning to wonder if I am out of the loop on this one. Is it now considered an okay word? I'm not going to use it or let my dc, but I will stop being shocked when I hear it. :D

You know, I think I'm going to add a poll...

(Ignore the typo in the poll. :D)

Edited by angela in ohio

I don't like it. I hear it all the time, though, and have accidentally used it myself. I don't think it has the same meaning it did in years gone by. I consider it to be slang, not a curse word.

I agree. It isn't the most elegant word, to be sure, but I don't imagine most people who use it this way are imbuing it with any prurient meaning. I'll say it occasionally, but not, say, in front of my 80-year-old mother in law or at a funeral.

A few years ago, the winners in a Mathcounts competition were given the book Math Doesn't Suck. One of the kids showed the book to his mother, who read the title with pursed lips, nodded curtly, and politely handed it back to the contest organizer.

It was used when I was in high school in the 80s, long before Sponge Bob.

I have said it but I don't like it per say. I did my student teaching with a teacher who allowed it as long as the kids 'finished the thought' and said 'sucks eggs' or similar.

I heard my son say it the other day and I encouraged him to use a word that better describes the situation or his feelings and helped him find one. I didn't tell him the sexual connotation, but I did tell him I thought it was speech that made him appear lazy and uneducated.

I think it's used more along the lines of "this sucks eggs".

Oh my! I never knew it came from Sponge Bob!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=you+suck+eggs

No, it didn't come from Sponge Bob. I've been saying it since long before Spongebob arrived on the scene.

As for the original question, no, I do not think of it as a bad word. It is more of a slang than a curse.

I was just going to comment on a recent usage I heard, where I was shocked, but realize that what I actually heard was with the term "screwed" (which DOES have a sexual connotation, to be sure), not "sucks."

(The head guy of our local 4H program said "Sorry, we screwed up" when he realized something went wrong with the ribbons at the county fair awards ceremony!!)

No, it didn't come from Sponge Bob. I've been saying it since long before Spongebob arrived on the scene.

As for the original question, no, I do not think of it as a bad word. It is more of a slang than a curse.

Obviously I don't know personally. There are a couple of sites who have this posted.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_the_phrase_to_suck_eggs_mean

Here's another article I found interesting.

http://www.slate.com/id/2146866/

I don't like children using this word either. Last month during a piano recital, one of the older boys stood up from his song and after his bow, he said "I'm sorry, that really sucked" while he was on the stage and it really made me uncomfortable. Admittedly I use the word, but not in front of my son.

http://www.slate.com/id/2146866/

I don't like children using this word either. Last month during a piano recital, one of the older boys stood up from his song and after his bow, he said "I'm sorry, that really sucked" while he was on the stage and it really made me uncomfortable. Admittedly I use the word, but not in front of my son.

Well, at least they agree with me (or my mother :D) about the origin of the term being sexual. I disagree that stinks and sucks are similar.

I DO find the words moron and lame to be offensive still, so I guess I'm a little less "over it" in general than this piece's author.

Edited by angela in ohio

I think about how others might take it, so if there is a possibility someone listening might take it as a sexually based term (and regardless of the true origin, there is that possibility) then I don't want to say it and I don't want my kids saying it either. I'm pretty sure I eliminated it from my vocabulary, but I wouldn't want to swear to it!

Shannon

Well, back in the days of the old Bugs Bunny cartoons, "screwy" was used to mean "not much going on upstairs." That is the connotation I associate with "screwed."

I don't like this use of the word "suck" - I think it sounds vulgar, even if I associate it with eggs rather than the other thing. Kind of like sh(#. Neither have a big place in my vocabulary (except, perhaps, when I am PMSing. )

Oh goodness, I wouldn't have known what to say if someone asked me "sucks what" either. I think I did hear something like "that sucks rotten eggs" once.

Anyway, we don't say it because it's distasteful anyway. And if we did say it, I *certainly* wouldn't say it now when there are people who could think I'm crudely referencing a sexual act!

It comes from "sucks eggs". My dad used when I was a kid and that was well before Sponge Bob.

ETA: Since we are complaining...I really detest "Oh my God!" or "God!" or "Jesus!" in non worshipping, irreverent way. It sounds just so low class and undignified. I also (and I am guilty) dislike it when people use "f%^$ing" when they want to use the word "very". In my defense, I am usually in a heightened adrenal state when I do that. Most other people use it frequently in casual, coffee chatter type conversations.

Edited by LG Gone Wild

suck/sucks

I was raised not to say this, as the implication of "___ sucks" was a sexual act.

I did use it once. I said that some class or another sucked. My mother stopped me and said, "it sucks what?" I said I didn't know what, that's just what my friends said. She explained what the implied direct obejct was and told me that I shouldn't say it. I was too scared to ever use it again. :)

My mom told me the same thing. We are from Ohio too; I wonder if the meaning/connotation is regional?

I don't let my kids say "sucks" (I almost can't stand typing it). I don't even let them use "cool", because I hate slang.

I wouldn't say it was a curse word, but it is one of the words that I don't use or allow my children to use without careful consideration of how it is being used.

ie suck the lollipop don't bite it.

Our other words are

hate

fart (I prefer pass gas)

can't

never

you get the idea.

One thing that my mum told me when I was little, and it has always stuck with me. Is that slang and curse words show a lack of imagination and creativity. We have a language filled with many words and can come up with many ways to express displeasure. For one thing if someone cuts us off while we are driving we call them some sort of vegetable, because they are exhibiting as much brain power as a vegetable at that time. "what a radish" is more fun.

Nicole

I heard the "full version" A LOT in high school (i.e. that sucks d**k, or that sucks c**k, or that sucks the big one) so it will always have sexual connotations in my mind. I don't use it and won't let my children use it, although I don't consider it a swear word when I hear others use it. I think the OP's description of distasteful is spot on.

I was just going to comment on a recent usage I heard, where I was shocked, but realize that what I actually heard was with the term "screwed" (which DOES have a sexual connotation, to be sure), not "sucks."

(The head guy of our local 4H program said "Sorry, we screwed up" when he realized something went wrong with the ribbons at the county fair awards ceremony!!)

Guilty on both charges, since I use this one too. For an example, as it comes closer to the end of the month and we aren't even close to having enough money saved for bills, I will look at my dh and say "we are screwed this month". Sounds vulgar I know, and I wouldn't use that phrase while describing my situation to just anyone. People that know me well is another story.

I think it is unfortunate that some slang has a s*xual meaning, when there are other meanings for the slang as well. Screwed is an example of that.

I use that word, and I also say I'm pissed off when I'm mad. Now, I control myself in polite company, and usually refrain from resorting to slang when I post here, but in my head, I'm not mad, I'm pissed off. And if someone tries to screw me over, I'm doubly pissed. I'm not screwed up in the head, though -- none of this speech is related to either s*x or bladders.

Edited by RoughCollie

I think it is unfortunate that some slang has a s*xual meaning, when there are other meanings for the slang as well. Screwed is an example of that.

I use that word, and I also say I'm pissed off when I'm mad. Now, I control myself in polite company, and usually refrain from resorting to slang when I post here, but in my head, I'm not mad, I'm pissed off. And if someone tries to screw me over, I'm doubly pissed. I'm not screwed up in the head, though -- none of this speech is related to either s*x or bladders.

In the late 70s-80s when I was a kid the obscene among us (almost everyone!) didn't say 'sucks eggs' and they DID finish it with the much worser connotation, out loud...:blink: everyone knew what you meant if you just said 'you s***.'

Screwed/screwy is a tougher one for me to condemn. I loved bugs bunny!

I'm guessing that this is just how slang words evolve...take a person from the 1930's speaking about a GAY FELLOW and move them to today regarding that one! :eek:

BUT I would not have my kids saying either...to me it demonstrates weak vocabulary and limited imagination...I mean, if you 'screwed up,' get creative about describing it!

JMHO.

I think of it as slang, and had never thought of it as a curse word. I've said it many times, and my kids say it...I wonder how many people have been offended by that? I'm sorry!

I do have to say, I'm more likely to say something 'stinks' than 'sucks' because, frankly...it's a bit dated. ;)

:lol::iagree:

I don't love the word, but I have definitely used it. I very much dislike hearing my kids say it, especially in public, and I'll say "Hey! Watch your mouth!", but it's really only half-hearted (as in, I don't want them to say it, but I also won't wash their mouths out with soap).

I must say I was completely surprised to find that crap was a bad word. I had no idea until a drama teacher admonished ds for saying it, and then as I bounced the story around, I found a lot of people think that's a curse word. Since then we've tried to curb our usage of this word, but honestly, I think it's just another example of slang (because I'd much rather my kids said "oh crap" rather than "oh s**t" - for that error there would be some punishment doled out).

But, I must say, I find both of those words distasteful, but not curse words.

I have always used 'sucks' and considered it slang. I always thought of it it terms of sucking the fun, or sucking the life out of something.

But then my DD11 came home one day and reported that her friend told her what "sucks" really meant, that it was about sucking someones ----:eek:

I explained to her that while some people might mean it that way, that wasn't the way mommy meant it.... But then whenever I would say it, I would know what was coming into her mind!

So, yeah, don't use it so much any more...

Well, back in the days of the old Bugs Bunny cartoons, "screwy" was used to mean "not much going on upstairs." That is the connotation I associate with "screwed."

I agree, screwball comedies have the same connotation of being wacky or ridiculous, it's not sexual. Before that, if you were screwed you were drunk (thank you, Victorian novel class). Yes, it *also* has a sexual meaning that dates to the 18th century. What about prison guards being called screws? That has a whole other connotation.

Shakespeare made his money joke-wise by being a master of words with such double meanings but not *every* use of a word has sexual intent behind it.

And slang changes. Most people today don't consider "oh, that's awful" to be vulgar slang, but it was considered so at one time.

I can't get worked about it.

I had an English teacher in High School who only banned the use of one word in his classroom, both written and oral, and that word was suck(s). He didn't even mind the occasional curse word it was just that one word that drove him nuts.

For some reason, this brings to mind my grandmother's favorite, very old and charmingly lame, joke. A teacher tells her students, "There are two words I never want to hear you use. One is 'swell' and the other is 'lousy'." And a boy puts up his hand and says, "OK, Teacher. What are they?"

I suppose words gain and lose acceptance over time.

Then again, Grandma swore like a sailor, so maybe that's how I come by my mild response to "sucks."

Well, to me it is distasteful, but perfectly acceptable. I have, perhaps, been jaded by hearing a particular Kansas joke about 100,000 times. I think it has a college football origin. I am grateful for this joke, because it is an ice breaker when I'm stuck in a room of jocks.

Why is Kansas windy?

Because Nebraska blows and Oklahoma sucks.

I imagine that if you add age to the poll you'll find that the younger set do not consider it vulgar, while the older set does. Time and society have a way of de-sensitizing words that once were not acceptable.

:iagree:

When I first was reading the thread I thought those who didn't think it had a s^xual meaning were just being naive. But I guess it was used so much that people stopped realizing what it means. What do you think "Eat Me" means?

Well, to me it is distasteful, but perfectly acceptable. I have, perhaps, been jaded by hearing a particular Kansas joke about 100,000 times. I think it has a college football origin. I am grateful for this joke, because it is an ice breaker when I'm stuck in a room of jocks.

Why is Kansas windy?

Because Nebraska blows and Oklahoma sucks.

We use the same joke in Oklahoma, but we use Kansas and Texas. ;)

I admit, I use it occasionally, but not often. I have never thought of it as a sexual connotation.....umm, I think I'll refrain from using it now. We don't curse around here, nor say vulgar/crude sounding words. My children honestly think that bad words are "stupid" and "hate." They have no idea that real bad words even exist because they have never heard them before. But we don't say stupid, hate, shut up, crap, etc. I don't think they've ever heard me say sucks either.

I wish people would refrain from using crude sounding words though, or at least watch whose company they are in. My sister uses a lot of crude sounding words, but not cuss words.....she says things like "the dog took a crap" or "it pissed me off." Sorry, I don't want my children picking up words like that. Plus, it makes her sound immature and uneducated. I think there are many other vocabulary words to choose from in order to get your point across.

I've used it, today as a matter of fact. I consider it slang, not cursing, although I've done that today too. It's been a crappy day. :glare:

Anyway, any word can be sexualized or made dirty. I remember as a young teen with my friends finding "meanings" in all sorts of words.

I prefer to find a more intelligent way to state how I feel about something, but somethings things just suck. It's like a state of being...to be sucky, no hidden meaning or agenda.

I prefer to find a more intelligent way to state how I feel about something, but somethings things just suck. It's like a state of being...to be sucky, no hidden meaning or agenda.

:iagree: One of my friends just messaged me on facebook to claim that the army has a corner on the suckishness market. It made me laugh in light of the discussion here.

So, even though we're atheists, we don't "take the lord's name in vain" because I know there are still people that find that offensive.

Not me. :D

That commandment isn't about swearing. It's about using the Lord's name to curse someone. Like, "By ___ Almighty, you'll suffer for that!"

Swearing is a different animal. My dad's family is RC from Cape Breton, Nova Scotia where they seem to be famous for their ability to string together lists of Biblical names from God on down when they're indulging in swearing. :D