Menu

Vent: Humane Society made me sooooo mad!

I guess my farm childhood was in a different time (or universe). Our outside dog was part of the family. He slept on the porch, came in when the weather was horrible, rode in the truck every time we left home, had the run of the farm, and was cared for VERY well.

Of course we bathed our dog, of course he saw a veterinarian, of course our property was fenced.

We didn't walk him!!!! How silly. He ran and leaped and played, outdoors, all day long.

He didn't need "brought in to integrate with the family." The family was outdoors with him most of the time.

Shaking my head, here.

:lol::lol::lol: How true!

We have some family that treat their dogs like children (one even cooks for the dog and feeds her at the table). Dogs are dogs at our place.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess my farm childhood was in a different time (or universe). Our outside dog was part of the family. He slept on the porch, came in when the weather was horrible, rode in the truck every time we left home, had the run of the farm, and was cared for VERY well.

Of course we bathed our dog, of course he saw a veterinarian, of course our property was fenced.

We didn't walk him!!!! How silly. He ran and leaped and played, outdoors, all day long.

He didn't need "brought in to integrate with the family." The family was outdoors with him most of the time.

Shaking my head, here.

What she said.

I've seen these sorts of things a lot in the last few years, too, along with an increase in pet "stuff" for sale everywhere. We even have a pet "barkery" here that bakes fresh gourmet biscuits for your pets.

Okay. I love my pets, too, but really?

So many folks live right on the edge of insolvency now days and whenever there's any sort of problem, such as when gas prices went up so much a couple of years ago, or folks lose income in an event such as the Gulf oil spill, the first things they give up are their pets.... I'm thinking that if we could be a little more realistic about the extras in life - for both people and their pets - it would yield a lot more savings for necessities in hard times.....

Well, people can choose to spend their money as they wish, right? (Not everyone is on the brink of financial disaster btw) Some people spend their money and time on scrapbooking, or books, or pets, or kids or .....whatever.

You know what - I would not adopt to you either.

For the same reasons. The world does not need any more kittens. Want mousers - we've got ferals coming out of our ying yang. Spay/neuter. Period. Full stop. Any rescue or cat shelter can provide you with a huge # of cats. If you'll take ferals for your barns, we'll kiss you & deliver them ourselves.

Outside dog thing: Well, with an LGD maybe. Otherwise, NOPE.

Bottom line is this: the humane societies, the rescues, the shelters pick up the mess the general public makes, all the "I had to get rid of ...... because I'm moving/I don't want to train/kids lost interest/it's an ooopsie litter & I can't find owners for them/ it doesn't match my new couch/it pees/ it poops/ the vet bills are too much blah blah blah blah."

Until you've volunteered in a shelter, walked dogs & cuddled cats & come back the next day to find that they'd been euthenized overnight to make space for new incoming, or better yet, until you've been the person holding the animal, soothing them, telling them it's not their fault, that they're good dogs, sweet kitties - while the pink liquid goes in - until you do that, you don't get to make the rules. They do.

These organizations don't just want to place an animal. They want to CHANGE the way people care for animals, the value they have in our lives.

Because nobody wants to go to work & kill animals all day long. But that's not going to change until people like you change your view point of what it means to have an animal.

Every animal I foster is going to the BEST possible home, not just to any home. I invest a lot into these guys & they're not going to just 'good enough'. They're going to perfect. They deserve nothing less.

In Hope, An Animal Shelter Story - go ahead. Watch. Weep.

Don't tell me we need more kittens because you want to have the experience. Why does nobody want to have the experience of euthenizing litters of kittens?

My other bottom line is this: pet ownership should be a privilege.

Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight. ~Albert Schweitzer

I will never EVER see the point of view that an ANIMAL cannot live outside. Should I bring in all my deer, and shall all the horses stay in the house too? Or do you only think cats and dogs should be in houses?

GUARD dogs cannot patrol a farm from the house.

Also just because SOME people cannot care for their animals does not mean everyone needs to stop breeding. There is nothing wrong with OP wanting to have kittens from cats that she owns.

Just wanted to add...beware of having to return an adopted pet to the shelter. We adopted a dog once (I have been a breeder as well as a rescuer, and worked in equine rescue) that had serious issues! This dog should never have been adopted out!!! When we brought it back to the shelter, they treated us with such disdain, that I would never go to a shelter again.

It's unfortunate, because I realize they want more responsible owners, but punishing responsible people when they don't share ALL their ideals is only fueling the breeder market.

I have found this in our area, too. Things have gotten really weird with pet adoptions..... It's not enough to be willing and able to give an animal a good home, you have to adopt the core values of some amorphous animal lovers' society in order to qualify.... There's one place here that has their animals on a vegetarian diet and you have to sign that you will keep them on such a diet before you can adopt one of them.... I wonder if the pet police come 'round to analyze their food bowls to make sure there's no meat residue in there....

That is really strange. We haven't had any trouble or weird requirements when we've adopted, though. Lucky, my 5 yo male mutt, chased down, caught, then proceeded to eat a young rabbit in our yard yesterday. He was in heaven. Can you imagine requiring a dog to become a vegetarian? - talk about unnatural.

I think an outdoor dog on a farm where there are people outdoors all day is different than an outdoor dog on a few acres that isn't a working farm and the people are NOT outside all day. MOST of the people in my area that have outdoor dogs do not interact with those dogs except when they go hunting once a week, if then. The acreage is for looks, or playing with the kids on the weekend maybe, but they are not outside most of the day. Far from it. And if the idea is for kids to play with the dog, kids grow up. In 8 years from now, will those kids still be outside playing in the dirt with the dog all day, or will they be out on dates or working and going to college, etc? Because if we are talking about one dog, a puppy no less, left to his own devices, with no other dog to be around and only minimal interaction with people...well, gotta say the shelter made the right call.

I already explained my feelings on not fixing the cats....fine if you want kittens, but never forget that that male is probably mating with every female withing miles, producing god knows how many other kittens that the OP will never know about. Kittens that will only add to the overpopulation problem.

I think an outdoor dog on a farm where there are people outdoors all day is different than an outdoor dog on a few acres that isn't a working farm and the people are NOT outside all day. MOST of the people in my area that have outdoor dogs do not interact with those dogs except when they go hunting once a week, if then. The acreage is for looks, or playing with the kids on the weekend maybe, but they are not outside most of the day. Far from it. And if the idea is for kids to play with the dog, kids grow up. In 8 years from now, will those kids still be outside playing in the dirt with the dog all day, or will they be out on dates or working and going to college, etc? Because if we are talking about one dog, a puppy no less, left to his own devices, with no other dog to be around and only minimal interaction with people...well, gotta say the shelter made the right call.

I already explained my feelings on not fixing the cats....fine if you want kittens, but never forget that that male is probably mating with every female withing miles, producing god knows how many other kittens that the OP will never know about. Kittens that will only add to the overpopulation problem.

The Humane Society is not in the business of adopting dogs out to folks as "farm dogs" and such. They prefer to have a family with fenced acreage who plan to keep the dog inside, at least at night. To be honest, you won't find many breeders who don't follow this same thing. Now, you can easily get a puppy from a pet store - they don't really care what you do with it.

I am not for the breeding of animals for "fun." It is sad when those babies don't have homes...unless you plan to have a whole litter of cats and get them all spayed/neutered along with mom and dad (which could cost up to 1K in vet expenses depending on the number of babies).

I adopted my two cats together at the humane society over 11 years ago. They were de-clawed front and back by family members of the previous (elderly) owner. When I got them, I had to agree to keep them inside for their LIVES and never let them out. And that is what I did. My sweet baby girl kitty died from cancer a month ago...but for 11 years, she had nothing but the best. My husband hated cat hair in the house...but I had the cat before I had him and he dealt with it. I guess I could have put her outside when he complained, but my love for her and my promise the day I got her would never allow me to do so.

I will never EVER see the point of view that an ANIMAL cannot live outside. Should I bring in all my deer, and shall all the horses stay in the house too? Or do you only think cats and dogs should be in houses?

You are an animal too. People can live outside & do all around the world.

I did mention LGD's. Other breeds it would be on a case by case basis but generally, no. I mostly rehab outdoor roaming dogs from native villages & help them become indoor pets. Generally speaking I expect dogs to be near their people. Outside people get outside dogs.

With the exception of LGD's, I don't believe in guard dogs being left to patrol outdoor property on their own.

Also just because SOME people cannot care for their animals does not mean everyone needs to stop breeding. There is nothing wrong with OP wanting to have kittens from cats that she owns.

I disagree. There are TOO MANY ANIMALS already. The only breeders I support are the very reputable, club members, code of ethics, clear breeding goals for preservation of specific breed, stand by their animals for duration of its life, do genetic testing etc etc etc. The world does not need another litter of generic 'cat'. We need more homes for the cats that already exist.

You weren't moved by the video?

How about this one:

?

People have NO CLUE what the shelters are dealing with. And how every animal rescuer out there is awake at night trying to figure out how to pull one more out of the shelter, where to find another foster home, how to scrape some funds to pay for boarding to buy an animal some time.

While somewhere else people blithely go on creating more generic cats & dogs "just because".

Someone just shoot me now because there are days I can't figure out how to carry on when nobody seems to give a !#$%.

I did mention LGD's. Other breeds it would be on a case by case basis but generally, no. I mostly rehab outdoor roaming dogs from native villages & help them become indoor pets. Generally speaking I expect dogs to be near their people. Outside people get outside dogs.

With the exception of LGD's, I don't believe in guard dogs being left to patrol outdoor property on their own.

I disagree. There are TOO MANY ANIMALS already. The only breeders I support are the very reputable, club members, code of ethics, clear breeding goals for preservation of specific breed, stand by their animals for duration of its life, do genetic testing etc etc etc. The world does not need another litter of generic 'cat'. We need more homes for the cats that already exist.

How about this one:

?

People have NO CLUE what the shelters are dealing with. And how every animal rescuer out there is awake at night trying to figure out how to pull one more out of the shelter, where to find another foster home, how to scrape some funds to pay for boarding to buy an animal some time.

While somewhere else people blithely go on creating more generic cats & dogs "just because".

Someone just shoot me now because there are days I can't figure out how to carry on when nobody seems to give a !#$%.

BRAVO!

Great idea...if people (also animals) want outside dogs, let them live outside with them :lol:

Here is where my outrage lies and I think that the OP has a right to be very annoyed!

Children can live in filth and vermin, be completely neglected, and totally abused...and this is somehow not that big of a deal in our society. The "rescue" system we have for them is pathetic, broken, and underfunded to say the least. Most families that need to have unannounced home visits will never get them because social workers have far too many cases to handle. But, try to take a dog (an animal that nature, God, whatever you believe) created to LIVE OUTDOORS and romp the land, give it a good home and farm to do what it's very instinct tells it to do...and NOPE, not good enough. Gotta have a stay at home dog parent, and a kennel, and a warm bed by a cozy fire, and special food, and social worker visits, and well-dog check-ups, and yada, yada, yada.

I'd like to see a lot of kids in my neighborhood hauled into the humane society instead of the local dogs and cats. Maybe they'd have a shot at a better life!!! There's a kid across the street that desperately needs intervention - maybe I could make him a dog costume and call animal control. Calling the cops and DCFS hasn't done any good.

Good grief! (Oh yeah, Faith is in a mood today and no I haven't read all the responses - I don't think my pounding headache could take it!)

:iagree:

And I guess the dog house market must be out of business since apparently these days dogs are supposed to be indoors. :lol::lol::lol:

I give a !#$% and I am also that idiot who is always stopping on the road to pick up someone's abandoned cat/dog...actually I almost picked up a coyote once but that is another story.

You need a Great Pyrenees or a Turkish Akbash. I love those dogs something fierce and would kill to have one, but we don't have the space they need. The Turkish akbashes prefer to be outside with the flock, they'll tolerate being inside, but not much. BUT they are loving dogs, and soooo calm and even tempered. When we were first married we lived in a carriage house on 150 acres, the owner flocked his animals with an Akbash and that dog was the Best. Dog. Ever.

Our old LGD was a GP/Newfie cross. He was the BEST. Ever.

Man, I miss that old boy. :crying:

Edited by Audrey

...actually I almost picked up a coyote once but that is another story.

Oh LOL I've almost done that too. I'm always picking up strays in my neighbourhood. I see coyotes all the time here so it's no like I don't know what they look like but once, one was lying down under a tree (right by the local elementary school) and I thought, 'gee, whose husky is that?' and I'm already heading over to it with my dogs, trying to figure out how to leash my guys together so that I can have a free leash to grab this one......when my guys caught the scent of it & said 'UH? Are we going to hunt one this time? You never let us hunt them before...?' :lol:

If it weren't for my dogs telling me that this was not a dog you lunatic woman, can't you smell it? I would have been trying to walk up to it & leash it.

I know I'm late to this thread, but I have read every response. I actually have mixed feelings about the inside/outside dog thing. But, to me, the kitten issue is black and white. I love kittens. I would absolutely love for my daughters to see a momma cat have kittens; it's a beautiful part of life. BUT, I would rather teach my children responsible pet ownership than let them see kittens be born. My girls are still pretty young, and they know already that you must spay and neuter your pets. It's just a fact of life for us.

I find it hard to believe that if a pet owner is not willing to have two cats spayed/neutered, that he/she will have an entire litter of kittens spayed/neutered. Sorry, but it just doesn't add up.

You need a Great Pyrenees or a Turkish Akbash. I love those dogs something fierce and would kill to have one, but we don't have the space they need. The Turkish akbashes prefer to be outside with the flock, they'll tolerate being inside, but not much. BUT they are loving dogs, and soooo calm and even tempered. When we were first married we lived in a carriage house on 150 acres, the owner flocked his animals with an Akbash and that dog was the Best. Dog. Ever.

I do not have issues with working LGD's at all. They are integrel to many ranches and farms. With that said not all LGD breeds need to be outside and some, unfortunately many fail at being flock/herd guardians.

I have ASD's/Akbash.

1 is a failed guardian who refuses to go outside if it is even drizzling UNLESS he senses danger to us.

My first was a therapy dog who only wanted people.

Both of them were from the breed rescue.

Not all Akbash or ASD's are calm dogs either.

They need a specific type of owner who is able to treat them properly.

Most of the dogs who come into the rescue are because a family did not know how big they would grow or they were not taught how to work with the livestock properly.

Or someone sold their livestock and do not want the dog anymore because they have no flock to guard.

Anyway just my side step into the conversation.

With that said not all LGD breeds need to be outside and some, unfortunately many fail at being flock/herd guardians..

Yup. I fostered a purebred maremma for 13 mos. He was placed as a pet in an indoor home.

I'm seeing a sad trend with LGD's becoming more 'popular' in recent years. The lgd rescues are getting busier & busier. Lots of people think they look like beautiful white labs and assume a lab type temperament. Um, no, not quite.

Most of the dogs who come into the rescue are because a family did not know how big they would grow or they were not taught how to work with the livestock properly.

This is how my dh came to have our LGD in the first place. Some idiot townie family thought the fluffy puppy was sooooo cute, then got downright mean to the poor thing when it wouldn't stop growing and growing and growing. Dh saw him tied to a truck hitch, a half-grown (but already huge) dog, every time he drove through town. He finally met up with the dad of the family at the mail boxes one day and talked him out of the dog. He was a total outside working dog on our farm after that. Never wanted inside, and was happy with his cattle and his people. Like I said in a PP... best dog EVER. Period.

The Humane Society is not in the business of adopting dogs out to folks as "farm dogs" and such. They prefer to have a family with fenced acreage who plan to keep the dog inside, at least at night. To be honest, you won't find many breeders who don't follow this same thing. Now, you can easily get a puppy from a pet store - they don't really care what you do with it.

I don't fully understand this. With some breeds, poodles, cockers, toy size, sure. And I understand the "preference", but not the outright refusal. These dogs live full and active lives, well cared for and generally trained to an extent. This is better than the people, like my husband's aunt, that adopts pets (cats in this case), declaws them, keeps them inside ALL the time, spoils them till they are obese and full of health issues, then pumps them with all the meds she gets from the vets for the health problems SHE caused. Oh, but she's following everything these places demand :glare:

This is how my dh came to have our LGD in the first place. Some idiot townie family thought the fluffy puppy was sooooo cute, then got downright mean to the poor thing when it wouldn't stop growing and growing and growing. Dh saw him tied to a truck hitch, a half-grown (but already huge) dog, every time he drove through town. He finally met up with the dad of the family at the mail boxes one day and talked him out of the dog. He was a total outside working dog on our farm after that. Never wanted inside, and was happy with his cattle and his people. Like I said in a PP... best dog EVER. Period.

Unfortunately it does happen too often.

Good of your husband to offer a great home to him!

Looong thread, but I wanted to lend my support to the OP. I've had my run-ins with Humane Societies over the years. I've been petmom to seven cats and a dog (all but one rescued strays) over the years as well as foster mom to 12 kittens. Um, yeah.. and BTW I'm raising seven human children. Yet, I've been turned down by three different humane societies and two rescues for various reasons. The situation is over the top and makes me roll my eyes at the pleadings of animal rights activists. I understand the point, but it seems they are alienating their allies in spite of themselves.

Barb

Until you've volunteered in a shelter, walked dogs & cuddled cats & come back the next day to find that they'd been euthenized overnight to make space for new incoming, or better yet, until you've been the person holding the animal, soothing them, telling them it's not their fault, that they're good dogs, sweet kitties - while the pink liquid goes in - until you do that, you don't get to make the rules. They do.

Again. Not much sympathy here. Then don't do it. I simply do not get the whole rational behind this idea. It makes no sense to throw a fit over how the animals are treated when you advocate killing all the ones you can't place. People might not be treating them as you or I would prefer, but most of them aren't killing them either, much less doing it on purpose.:001_huh:

ETA: this came out way harsher than intended. I don't get it. That stands. I'm not sure why I should have sympathy here though when the entire point is that instead of placing an animal in a loving home, it might be killed bc it doesn't meet your standards. Outside of abuse, I think the animal should be placed and given a chance at life.

Why does nobody want to have the experience of euthenizing litters of kittens?

I have no idea. I sure wouldnt do it. I think they'd be better off hunting mice. At least they'd have a chance.

My other bottom line is this: pet ownership should be a privilege.

Of course! Let's make it something only a select few can do. That will make a lot more homes.:confused:

I very often think the SPCA tend to spite themselves more than help animals with their decision to kill off animals rather than accept that people can love their pets and care for their pets and have very happy pets without agreeing on a lot of things.

But this stance isn't changing minds or making homes.

It just discourages people from adopting.

And even according to the SPCA that just equals another dead animal.

Isn't the whole point to avoid that?

:(

Edited by Martha

Again. Not much sympathy here. Then don't do it. I simply do not get the whole rational behind this idea. It makes no sense to throw a fit over how the animals are treated when you advocate killing all the ones you can't place. People might not be treating them as you or I would prefer, but most of them aren't killing them either, much less doing it on purpose.:001_huh:

ETA: this came out way harsher than intended. I don't get it. That stands. I'm not sure why I should have sympathy here though when the entire point is that instead of placing an animal in a loving home, it might be killed bc it doesn't meet your standards. Outside of abuse, I think the animal should be placed and given a chance at life.

I have no idea. I sure wouldnt do it. I think they'd be better off hunting mice. At least they'd have a chance.

Of course! Let's make it something only a select few can do. That will make a lot more homes.:confused:

I very often think the SPCA tend to spite themselves more than help animals with their decision to kill off animals rather than accept that people can love their pets and care for their pets and have very happy pets without agreeing on a lot of things.

I would like to hear your response, hornblower. My instinct is to agree with you, but like the PP points out, is living outside really worse than being killed? Our foster kitty (that I found dumped in front of the library, and now the no-kill at which we got two of our kitties is helping us find a home for her) spends the day in the bathroom to separate her from the other cats, because I hate the idea of bringing her to an adoption event where someone can adopt her on impulse, rather than making a conscious decision to request information online, taking the time to fill out the paperwork, etc. She deserves better, you know? But waiting isn't always an option.... I'm not at all trying to argue, I just want to hear from someone that I KNOW values animals as much as I do. If there were a dog in front of you, and you had to choose living outside or euthanasia, would you really choose the latter? And why?

Exactly.

LOL. I'm never going to get this conversation.

Yes, be responsible for your animals. I think we can all agree on that.

To what level of codling we have to treat the animal will probably vary widely.

Heck some people put clothes on their dogs and carry them around in purses.

My SIL puts doggie diapers down on the floor so her dog doesn't have to go outside in the winter to do its business.

Whatever. I think it is crazy.

Walk through any aisle at Walmart or Target, and you will see where society values pets in our country. Three entire aisles of dog/cat treats, food, personal care products and clothes. In our area it nearly rivals the children's section for square footage.

We have a rescued German Shepherd from a private situation, and we paid to have her spayed. However, no way would we agree to sign away rights to the SPCA. There are many animals that need care, too bad caring families are turned away. Those animals are surely better off spending several more months in a small cage, a concrete run, and a cacophonous environment until the perfect family is found. :glare:

Well, I can't speak on the SPCA specifically but, for many organizations, encouraging random people to adopt vs. euthanizing is NOT the whole point.

Rescues and shelters are overrun primarily because of irresponsible owners. There is the added factor of sick or deceased owners and people who have found themselves having to give up everything (including pets) due to financial difficulties, but rescues and shelters could handle those cases relatively easily if they were the only ones.

Animals are not being euthanized because of a small adoption pool. They're being euthanized because of a HUGE ocean of horrible breeding practices and people who get sick of the responsibility. Or worse, are straight up abusive.

An admittedly crummy analogy would be education. Kids aren't graduating stupid b/c there are too few parents homeschooling. They're undereducated because too many schools are broken. Some kids are "saved" by homeschooling, but schools keep going on as usual.

(Hey, I already said it was a crummy analogy!)

Every organization's philosophy is different. Most are serious about trying to reduce the root cause, and prevent the animals they've taken in from being put back into that awful cycle. Because they can't be with each adopted animal every day, they have to do their best to come up with a screening process that suits their philosophy as best as possible, knowing there are still no guarantees. Many (not all) believe that euthanizing an animal is better than risking putting it back into that cycle.

I had to shop around, myself. It's not easy to adopt a puppy, let alone a puppy when there are two toddlers in the house and we have no fence. When we did finally get approved for a puppy (which turned into 2 puppies :001_huh:), I was actually concerned about the LACK of criteria for adoption.

It's not a game but, if it was, these organizations couldn't win for losing.

I can't tell you how frustrated we are. Our family has been wanting a dog ever since we moved onto our acreage. We decided yesterday was the day, and we piled into the van for a 2+ hour drive to the humane society in the nearest large city. We thought they would want to adopt to us - young family living in the country with lots of love for a dog. Seemed simple. Well, we weren't good enough.

I'm not reading all of these responses, so what I'm writing might have been suggested before. Check out Craig's List and local ad newspapers. The right puppy will be out there without many, if any, strings.

I feel for those animals that end up in the "Humane" shelter as most are the way you describe and several miss out on good homes - or at least - "a" home due to people that personify animals way too much IMO.

For what it's worth, IMO indoor/outdoor animals (in the country) have the best life. Our dog and cats go in and out almost at will and thoroughly enjoy themselves. We don't live on a busy road, so never have to worry about cars. Kittens have fun growing up on a farm!

We got rejected several years ago because one of my children was too young. Many of these rescue organization people are really just power hungry anti-socialists who claim to love animals more than people. That should say it all right there. We have chosen to 'rescue' our 2 dogs from Craigslist 'free puppy' ads, and frankly, have never regretted it.

The SPCA around here has changed since I was young. We have ALWAYS gone to the SPCA for our pets, from two dogs to several cats. I always looked at it as helping out and getting a great pet in return. When I was younger, we had a chance to hold and interact with the pet and then decide whether we wanted it. The animal was then spayed and neutered, and then we took it home. End of story.

This last time, when we went in to adopt a cat (and ended up with two) from Pet Smart's program with the SPCA, they treated it seriously like a human adoption. I think so many people today see animals and people as one, and I think that so much of the animal activitist agenda is a part of the people who run those organizations, that it is no longer about adopting a pet, it's more like adoptiong a child. Seriously, some of the people seemed very "different" for lack of a better world. So much talk of being mom and dad now, etc.

I know for a fact there are people who give animals up because the animal is causing too much trouble as an indoor pet. Again, there are people who think that animals have the same rights as humans, and then there are those of us who think otherwise.

We've dealt with having a cat that turned very aggressive when Nathan was born. Sorry, but I am not risking my newborn by keeping an aggressive cat around. The cat is not equal, though I cared very much for it. I also don't think people should have to put up with having their houses destroyed all for the sake of a pet.

Lest you think I am heartless, I have a loungy scratching bed, a scratching post, and a little box of cat toys. I turn the bathtub faucet on when Maggie squeaks and runs into the bathroom (this means she wants water), and I give her two or three treats when she runs, jumps on the scratching bed, and scratches. This means she wants a treat. We just finished spending about $400 to treat a urinary tract infection in Annabelle, and I spent two weeks wiping her but from diarrhea and anal gland issues.

But, if there came a time when she began ruining our home or our children, she would have to go.

Pets are animals. Animals are still by their nature animals.

Well, I can't speak on the SPCA specifically but, for many organizations, encouraging random people to adopt vs. euthanizing is NOT the whole point.

Rescues and shelters are overrun primarily because of irresponsible owners. There is the added factor of sick or deceased owners and people who have found themselves having to give up everything (including pets) due to financial difficulties, but rescues and shelters could handle those cases relatively easily if they were the only ones.

Animals are not being euthanized because of a small adoption pool. They're being euthanized because of a HUGE ocean of horrible breeding practices and people who get sick of the responsibility. Or worse, are straight up abusive.

An admittedly crummy analogy would be education. Kids aren't graduating stupid b/c there are too few parents homeschooling. They're undereducated because too many schools are broken. Some kids are "saved" by homeschooling, but schools keep going on as usual.

(Hey, I already said it was a crummy analogy!)

Every organization's philosophy is different. Most are serious about trying to reduce the root cause, and prevent the animals they've taken in from being put back into that awful cycle. Because they can't be with each adopted animal every day, they have to do their best to come up with a screening process that suits their philosophy as best as possible, knowing there are still no guarantees. Many (not all) believe that euthanizing an animal is better than risking putting it back into that cycle.

I had to shop around, myself. It's not easy to adopt a puppy, let alone a puppy when there are two toddlers in the house and we have no fence. When we did finally get approved for a puppy (which turned into 2 puppies :001_huh:), I was actually concerned about the LACK of criteria for adoption.

It's not a game but, if it was, these organizations couldn't win for losing.

I think what the Humane Society should focus on is increasing awareness that owning a pet is a 10-20-year commitment. That is what I see as the problem, anecdotally, when I have observed friends or relatives obtaining a new pet. I know they do this some, i.e, they don't allow "Christmas puppies" or similar. But, rather than make rules about animals having to be kept indoors, if I were adopting animals out, I would be going for more of a sense of how thought-through the long-term commitment appeared to be.

My own belief about obtaining a pet - any pet - is that barring something totally extraordinary, I expect to keep that pet until it dies of old age. But I know many people who do not think this way about getting a pet, and that is true no matter the source of pets. I knew someone who "rescued" two beagles but then got rid of them because it was annoying to have to commit to come back to the house in a few hours. They couldn't go to Six Flags without paying a neighbor for dog sitting. I knew someone who meant to give up a cat because she was going to college, but the pound told her they would euthanize the cat within 24 hours, so she turned the cat outdoors. :eek: This is not good, either, obviously, but her rationale was that the cat might live a while, might be rescued, whereas the pound was promising certain death.

How about this one:

?

I did work in a shelter my dear. I have held cats and dogs while they were put down. I cried everytime. It sucks.

We cannot save them all. And because some people are irresponsible does not mean I am not going to breed labs to have puppies that are healthy and calm and perfect for homes with babies and children. I am not going to stop breeding quality hunting dogs either.

And while I see there are thousands of children to be adopted I choose to have my own. I know they dont get put to sleep, but many are worse off than living in heaven.

I find it interesting that you skipped over my question about should deer and horses live inside too. chickens? turkeys? rabbits? Would you see it inhumane to have all of these animals outside? because horses need rescued and many of them are put down or left to starve to death and they have to make it ouside in the elements even though they are a "domestic animal" If horses can live in a barn and they have no fur, why cant a dog?

Every animal I foster is going to the BEST possible home, not just to any home. I invest a lot into these guys & they're not going to just 'good enough'. They're going to perfect. They deserve nothing less.

This is exactly the kind of over emotional, anthropomorphizing, thinking that I whole heartedly disagree with. It's certainly your right to feel this way. But IMO, it's unwise, impractical and immature. You could help more dogs to live perfectly happy lives if you didn't treat your animals like they were humans. And like I said before, even humans don't get "perfect" homes or lives. A nice home that isn't perfect (according to you) is better then a dirt nap.

Don't tell me we need more kittens because you want to have the experience. Why does nobody want to have the experience of euthenizing litters of kittens?

I agree 100%

We've dealt with having a cat that turned very aggressive when Nathan was born. Sorry, but I am not risking my newborn by keeping an aggressive cat around. The cat is not equal, though I cared very much for it. I also don't think people should have to put up with having their houses destroyed all for the sake of a pet.

Lest you think I am heartless, I have a loungy scratching bed, a scratching post, and a little box of cat toys. I turn the bathtub faucet on when Maggie squeaks and runs into the bathroom (this means she wants water), and I give her two or three treats when she runs, jumps on the scratching bed, and scratches. This means she wants a treat. We just finished spending about $400 to treat a urinary tract infection in Annabelle, and I spent two weeks wiping her but from diarrhea and anal gland issues.

Not heartless at all. I rehomed a cat that was given to me as a "gift" b/c she was like the Tazmanian Devil. She destroyed everything in my apartment, including all of my newborn's stuffed animals, and she was a ninja, sneaking into his crib every time I opened the door. All after I spent an entire month of maternity leave (before ds was born) trying to work with her. She clearly had issues, and I would have let her be put down if I hadn't found someone who was willing to give her a chance (without a baby in the house!)

I don't see my pets as people AT ALL. I do see them as loyal companions who deserve the absolute best I can reasonably give them. They (minus that psycho cat) have earned a legitimate place in our family, even if that place is below our actual children.

On the other hand, I take sick pleasure in flushing goldfish. Those things are good for nothing. :tongue_smilie:

I think a major issue here is that the Humane Society sees the public as the problem, and so they treat potential adopters as "guilty until proven innocent." Wouldn't it be better to take a less adversarial stance, and take the attitude that we are all working together to deal with this issue?

Wouldn't it be better to take a less adversarial stance, and take the attitude that we are all working together to deal with this issue?

It would be nice if that were true, but having spent several years working with shelters and rescues, my opinion is that there are a lot of people out there who don't really give a d@mn about the bigger picture and just want what they want for the reasons they want it.

Tara

First of all, this cute lab puppy was almost surely not going to be put to sleep. The cute puppies are adoptable. The problem is, people adopt the cute little puppies and then find that there are problems. The neighbors don't like the barking and complain, but the dog is an "outside" dog. The dog is bored and becomes destructive. It kills their chickens or digs in the garden, and rather than problem solving, they decide to get rid of the dog. They don't socialize the puppy properly and it nips. They have to move and "can't" take the dog with them. Now they are surrendering a dog. And it's no longer a cute little puppy but a bigger dog, and it has a "history" or barking or nipping. That's if it doesn't get hit by a car/shot by a neighbor/attacked by another dog because it was not properly secured.

I would imagine that the Humane society workers are very picky about placing puppies because if they place the puppy in the right home, it actually does have a chance of a long and happy life. If they place it with people who lack commitment or education, the dog may be back in a year, no longer a cute, adoptable puppy.

As for setting cats loose to be mousers and have a chance, it does seem like there would be some advantages to doing that. But every one of those cats would have to be spayed or neutered first, otherwise the problem just continues to grow. And even though there are low cost spay/neuter clinics, that millions of procedures a year, I don't know if there are programs that could meet that need. Plus, that is millions of cats that would then be set loose, not just to "mouse" but to fight with pet cats, kill song birds, cause car wrecks, poop in childrens' sand boxes, etc, so maybe it's something out society doesn't really want to do. Plus, these cats would then never be vaccinated or treated for disease/infection and while that might be better than being dead for the particular cat, I wonder if it would present some risk of disease spreading to other cats.

I think a major issue here is that the Humane Society sees the public as the problem, and so they treat potential adopters as "guilty until proven innocent." Wouldn't it be better to take a less adversarial stance, and take the attitude that we are all working together to deal with this issue?

:iagree: Great post.

Wow! What a thread. I say have lots of kittens. The kittens eat the mice and coyotes eat the kittens. And what about the spider and other lovely insects. There are more of them killed each year by humans than there are cats that are killed! I say we do something about it. Exterminators must be stopped. And how did dogs and cats survive before houses?? It is really quite a mystery.

I am just in a silly mood, so PLEASE don't take me too seriously. :D

Jennifer, I am sorry for your bad day and experience. That was a lot of time and then to get your heart strings wrapped up, well, that is just hard and to feel insulted on top of that. Yuck! I hope you find another puppy that you will just fall in love with.

It would be nice if that were true, but having spent several years working with shelters and rescues, my opinion is that there are a lot of people out there who don't really give a d@mn about the bigger picture and just want what they want for the reasons they want it.

Tara

No need to spend time working with shelters & rescues.

Just reading this thread is enough.

I want it because I want it & your rules are stupid and I don't care why you have them.

No need to spend time working with shelters & rescues.

Just reading this thread is enough.

I want it because I want it & your rules are stupid and I don't care why you have them.

Many of us get upset when people try to force their rules on the general population. Rules like this - regarding pets or animals in general - are fine for an individual to have (either side they take on it), but forcing ALL to believe the way they do is just not right. You might consider an animal akin to a human. Others don't. There is no "one" answer that should be imposed on all. To each their own.

I've lived on a farm long enough to know that animals are far from human. I've yet to see any of them that would choose to die (or be killed) instead of having the life you deem "perfect" for them. Personally, I happen to think our farm cats (indoor/outdoor) have the absolute best life a cat can have. You're free to disagree. That's my original point.

The number of unwanted animals put down each yet doesn't bother me at all - nor does the number slaughtered to be eaten, etc. No, I don't have feelings for them. I do get bothered by animals put down when they ARE wanted, but such is life at times.

The number of unwanted animals put down each yet doesn't bother me at all - nor does the number slaughtered to be eaten, etc. No, I don't have feelings for them. I do get bothered by animals put down when they ARE wanted, but such is life at times.

This was my thinking about the lab puppy! Wouldn't it be sad if they had to put him down, because they couldn't find a home that met their "standards." Again, I'm not talking about a loving enviroment where all basic needs are met...but the extra standards like "fixed cats" and "inside dog."

Errrrgh!