Menu

Vent: Humane Society made me sooooo mad!

I guess my farm childhood was in a different time (or universe). Our outside dog was part of the family. He slept on the porch, came in when the weather was horrible, rode in the truck every time we left home, had the run of the farm, and was cared for VERY well.

Of course we bathed our dog, of course he saw a veterinarian, of course our property was fenced.

We didn't walk him!!!! How silly. He ran and leaped and played, outdoors, all day long.

He didn't need "brought in to integrate with the family." The family was outdoors with him most of the time.

Shaking my head, here.

I had the same experience, minus the fence but we had 200 acres.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I realize people have loving reasons for crating their animals but it just seems weird to me that letting a dog RUN outside on a large piece of property and live outside is now unethical but putting it in a cage all night long isn't?

Is this just a huge difference between country and city living because it does not make sense to me.

Daisy, I see your point. To me it comes down to whether a dog's breed and "characteristics was "created" to be outside 24/7. I can't stand the crate thing either. Our dog is inside and roams through the house during the day and either in our family room or our bedroom floor to sleep. She's been known to jump on the bed, but I've stopped that. :D I'm too much of a sprawler. Our first lab would sometimes sleep on the "top" comforter. They just LOVE it.

It's not unethical for your dog to be outside if that is natural for the dog. Like I said, that one dog has to have a job outside. When you watch Animal planet you learn alot. One stays outside 24/7 for their "job" of rounding sheep...I think that's right.

But, labs are "lap" dogs and shouldn't really be crated or expected to live outside 24/7 b/c dogs are social and specific to the breed, labs are lover/lap dogs. Sheryl (Jesus Follower) <><

The dog would not want to be an outside dog unless you all plan to be outside with it. We have a lab - they are definitely pack animals and want to be WITH you (unless they are asleep - in which case they want to be on you! ;) ) If you want a mostly outside dog you need to find a breed that would be a better fit than a lab.

Do you plan to keep all the kittens? And pay to get them all fixed? If not, please get the adult cats fixed asap! Too many unwanted kittens are put down daily.

Okay, I realize people have loving reasons for crating their animals but it just seems weird to me that letting a dog RUN outside on a large piece of property and live outside is now unethical but putting it in a cage all night long isn't?

Is this just a huge difference between country and city living because it does not make sense to me.

A crate is a "Cave" or "den" like it is for a bear, fox, or many other animals. It is a natural, instinctive part of being an animal...not a man-made or imposed regulation, but one we have adapted for their needs :D.

Yes, our SPCA made it feel like we were adopting kids. They even referred to the cats as our children and to us as their parents. I also remember them saying that we were never supposed to allow anyone else watch out pet.

We had to sign the following:

Pet shall not be sold, given away or traded without SPCA permission. It must be returned to the SPCA instead.

The whole thing was rather creepy.

I can't tell you how frustrated we are. Our family has been wanting a dog ever since we moved onto our acreage. We decided yesterday was the day, and we piled into the van for a 2+ hour drive to the humane society in the nearest large city. We thought they would want to adopt to us - young family living in the country with lots of love for a dog. Seemed simple. Well, we weren't good enough.

We found the PERFECT puppy for our family. I filled out the application and we were rejected. Why? Well, first, our two cats aren't spayed or neutered. I told them we wanted to have kittens - we live on a farmette in the country and we want the experience of having kittens. Our kittens will be spayed and neutered, well taken care of, and loved more than they could want. Not good enough. They treated us like lower life forms for even considering letting our two adopted cats breed. Why does our status with our much beloved cats have anything to do with taking care of a dog? Our chickens and guinea fowl aren't fixed either. Dh & I aren't fixed either for that matter. We agreed and planned on having our dog fixed, so I don't get the problem.

Then, we wanted an outside dog. They decided that the YELLOW LAB puppy we picked had to be an inside dog. What? We have five beautiful acres perfect for a large, active dog and five active children. A yellow lab is a large, active dog.

Anyway, we walked away disgusted after being rejected and treated like vermin. Our kids were crying. It was just horrible.

We will be going to a breeder next time since we aren't good enough for a rescued dog. Unbelievable.

My two cents:

In the country, yes, kittens and cats are dumped constantly. We once had mice problems at the house because of all the barn cats we had. We took in two free kittens from another farm, one died and the other went farrow while we were away for a weekend (she was born that way to begin with and we were trying to tame her). Someone had dumped a Russian Blue (indoor/outdoor cat) at cousin's and we took him into the house. He not only cleared up the mice, but also ran off MOST, not all, of the barn cats (sad thing with the barn cats, many of the kittens would be found in the barn, dead at various stages, because of lack of food or abandonment...generally cats do well on their own, but not with that much competition). However, *I* will not go around and spade/neuter all the cats that are dumped. They may hang around, become part of our family in a sense, but I am not their owner and will not pay out money for something I'm not responsible for. All that said, I can understand some people's views, but I also believe that they are your cats, in the country, and you can do as you darn well please. (We've moved to the city, so not an issue anymore)

On the dog issue. Yes, there are certain breeds that should be indoors, but having lived in farm country, where many people believe in dogs being outdoors and living in the barn, labs are capable of being "outdoors". Just have a shelter for them and they WILL make sure you give them plenty of attention (sorry, but labs are the one breed I steer clear of as they are nuisances...they love kittens as squeak toys and snacks; your kittens would not have lasted if you kept them outside as well...and they tear things up regularly, especially pups). We owned one lab (but have experience with other people's as well) and he was only spared an execution because a neighbouring farm had lost their hog dog. He was of an age that the farmer felt he could be trained for herding (yes, you can herd free range hogs).

But the issue is not "capability". Sure our labs could have stayed outside 24/7. Capable means they are "able" to do it. Well, of course. The issue is this....is this part of the dog's characteristics or personality? NO. Labs will live outside but they would PREFER, LOVE, THRIVE being WITH their "pack" the family (human family).

And, yes, sometimes labs will attack. We know of one breeder who was raising very assertive pupples. We should have turned him in, b/c that's unethical. BUT THAT IS NOT THE NORM.

An analogy would be to say that b/c I'm a Christian and Jesus follower that I support bombings of abortion clinics. I don't support that behavior. While I don't agree with abortion at all, it's not anyone's right to bomb another. It's NOT the norm to assume that b/c of one then all mindset. HTH. Sheryl <>< (Jesus follower)

I think some people here have forgotten that animals have been used for thousands of years to help humans -- not just to be treated as pets. Dogs have been used to help animals, and cats have been used to keep down the rodent population.

We indulge our indoor cats, but I am also perfectly fine with people using them to protect their grain stores.

But, labs are "lap" dogs and shouldn't really be crated or expected to live outside 24/7 b/c dogs are social and specific to the breed, labs are lover/lap dogs. Sheryl (Jesus Follower) <><

I've never heard of labs & retreivers being lap dogs. They weigh 80 pounds. I thought labs were bred to be hunters? Water dogs? Duck hunting?

We just had our phone interview for a Golden Retriever Rescue in our state. After that we will fill out the three page application then have an in-person interview, home visit,etc. We will have to complete the fence in our backyard. We have two acres that is about 9/10 of the way fenced, it is just that one part we need to finish. I don't mind, though because we knew what the requirements were going in. The dog will be an inside dog who will only be allowed out without the leash in OUR COMPLETELY FENCED IN BACKYARD with direct supervision.

I agree with getting your cats fixed. It is too easy for those kittens/momma cat to get pregnant again before you get a chance to get the surgery done. The world already has enough cats and kittens!

I don't think we were ever questioned that much when we adopted from the Humane Society last time. However, the dog we adopted ended up having mange and cost us a ton of money before we took her back a year and a half later. Never again- We have bought from breeders since and will from now on.

this is VERY unusual. I have adopted from rescues for many decades and never ONCE had an issue like this. My rescue shelters are very honest about conditions the animal may have.

And I do think that if a dog causes damage to another person's property, the owner should compensate.

I just grew up in the country. Our dog slept on the porch. He was a golden retriever and mostly lived outdoors, but then again so did we, kids. We played with that dog all day long.

We had cats out in the barn. They never came inside. They were fixed, but my Mom always made sure we had more cats than mice out there.

Just a different world, I guess.

And yes, we live in the city now. We have two INDOOR cats who are fixed and were adopted from the local shelter. But if I had a farm, I might would have kicked them out to the barn.

We have a barn kitty. We always had outdoor cats as kids too. In fact, my mom still lives on the 80 acres I grew up on (3 miles from here as the crow flies) with plenty of (spayed females--no males) outdoor cats.

It's roaming dogs I have a problem with as they tend to get together with other dogs and run in packs. I live in an area where many people have at LEAST 5 acres and 100+ acre farms right around the corner. I've had many animals killed or injured by roaming dog packs throughout my childhood, and many more who went missing (rabbits, ducks, chickens). Before I was born, my sister's pregnant mare was run to death by dogs. These dogs were not strays, but a couple of family pets. The family was absolutely certain these dogs would never leave the property, and were convinced were not capable of such a thing. "Not my dog, he just sleeps there under the porch...".

I've never heard of a pack of stray cats chasing deer, horses or cattle. Never caught a cat killing domestic chickens, ducks, caged rabbits etc. Not that it would never happen--it's just quite incredibly unlikely. That's a dog thing. Any dog - especially in the company of another dog.

I would suggest having the cats altered. One experience you will likely get to enjoy :glare: living in the country, is nice people 'gifting' you kittens.

People drive around looking for a spot to dump off unwanted cats, they often target out of the way houses, or houses with barns. Since this housing crunch has ramped up, we have been gifted with quite a few. Some of the kittens were barely old enough for solid food. You don't want to add to the overabundance.

:iagree: this is how we got two of our three cats. One was suspected not to even be a year old and was full of milk because she had just had kittens. I never did find the kittens. I have another cat that we took in because it couldn't live in our barn. It was a stray and one night in the barn made it wheeze, which shocked me.

I know you're upset but really, can't you have another animal give birth? Millions of cats are killed every year because they can't find homes for them.

The dog outside, all the time? I'd be worried about that. We have a pack of coyotes right down the road and I hear them kill things all the time.

I know I will upset some people, but I think the Humane Society did the right thing in your case.

Also, I don't understand how you could have adopted two cats that hadn't been fixed? NEVER, EVER have I come across a shelter who will adopt out animals that haven't been spayed or neutered. This goes for ALL animals, not just dogs and cats!

It's roaming dogs I have a problem with as they tend to get together with other dogs and run in packs. I live in an area where many people have at LEAST 5 acres and 100+ acre farms right around the corner. I've had many animals killed or injured by roaming dog packs throughout my childhood, and many more who went missing (rabbits, ducks, chickens). Before I was born, my sister's pregnant mare was run to death by dogs. These dogs were not strays, but a couple of family pets. The family was absolutely certain these dogs would never leave the property, and were convinced were not capable of such a thing. "Not my dog, he just sleeps there under the porch...".

Here's how hick my family is. My mom shot the dog that came on her property and attacked her goats for the 2nd time. It was the neighbor's (relative term since they lived 5 miles away) dog. She had warned him. She did bury that dog rather than tell the owner though. Geez, we sound like red necks. LOL.

Here's how hick my family is. My mom shot the dog that came on her property and attacked her goats for the 2nd time. It was the neighbor's (relative term since they lived 5 miles away) dog. She had warned him. She did bury that dog rather than tell the owner though. Geez, we sound like red necks. LOL.

Nope, it is just a different kind of life. My father shot many dogs (our own even) if they chased cattle. If the dog belonged to a neighbor, we told them and they ALWAYS understood. If we didn't know whose dog it was, shoot, shovel and shut-up was the rule. I know lots of people on here won't like it but I'm just telling you like it is. Raising cattle fed our family; a dog could not be given a second chance to affect our income. I guess that is why I don't see dogs as "family".

I agree with the OP. I think the Humane Society, et al. has gone too far in trying to find the supposed perfect home for unwanted pets. They'd rather euthanize them.

I do not get the outrage that is aimed at people who want hardy, large, rugged breeds that are expected to be outdoors or mostly outdoors.

Personally, I think dogs that are mostly outdoors have a better life than dogs that are always indoors. I know about all the normal dog behavior that offends people because it isn't good in a house. When the dog is outside, none of those things are problems anymore. My dog doesn't annoy me by scratching up the hardwood floor, breaking things with his big tail, having an accident because we were gone all day, tear up the couch because he's lonely or bring in hair, parasites, stink and mud. He gets focused attention every single day. He just doesn't have to sleep with me to get it.

I know my dogs would hate not being allowed in the house. They love to romp and play on our acreage, but they come in when they are done. One of the dogs is resting at my feet right now. Our next door neighbors have a dog that is not allowed in. It has it's own heated/air conditioned little cottage/studio, so it's not out in the elements at all. Their kids do play with it sometimes, but that poor thing whines and cries periodically througout the day and night from lack of companionship. It's so sad. I have no idea why they have an animal at all. I don't know how one could have an animal and then simply ignore it's pitiful cries.

this breaks my heart. :crying::crying::crying:

We were rejected by the humane society also. 1) We were intending to put in an invisible fence, but it wasn't in yet. 2) We wanted a goldendoodle (which they had) but we had a child under 6 in the house.

We have 4 ADOPTED CHILDREN and couldn't adopt a dog. CRAZY!

I should mention, we had had a very active Dalmatian who had needed to be put to sleep due to health reasons at age 14, so the kids were already used to living with a large dog, and we had 4 neutered cats that we had previously adopted from the humane society (same litter.)

Edited by sweetstitches

I've never heard of labs & retreivers being lap dogs. They weigh 80 pounds. I thought labs were bred to be hunters? Water dogs? Duck hunting?

Yes, correct. By nature they are hunters/"retrievers"....they retrieve ducks that have fallen over water or land.

But, that still doesn't negate the fact that labs are loving dogs that are "more on the social side" than other breeds of dogs. Dogs are social, some are more so. Our first vet 20 years ago referred to labs as general as being lap dogs. Why? Because they are loving, social and want in your face! :D Why? Because they are pack animals and you are their pack...their family. In my family we hug and kiss. Well, dogs want that companionship too.

Our lab would love to hunt. That's her nature. But, I don't let her get to the bunnies that populate our yard right now, in the wild...we do not have pet bunnies. She can still hunt. We wrap up a bone for Christmas and she "hunts" it down....:tongue_smilie: We take her to the park, backyard or even inside to toss a ball and she fetches or "retrieves" it.

Edited by sheryl

Nope, it is just a different kind of life. My father shot many dogs (our own even) if they chased cattle. If the dog belonged to a neighbor, we told them and they ALWAYS understood. If we didn't know whose dog it was, shoot, shovel and shut-up was the rule. I know lots of people on here won't like it but I'm just telling you like it is. Raising cattle fed our family; a dog could not be given a second chance to affect our income. I guess that is why I don't see dogs as "family".

Both of those are PERFECT examples of why the Humane Society has EVERY right to say the dog must be an indoor dog! :glare:

It is too easy for those kittens/momma cat to get pregnant again before you get a chance to get the surgery done

I disagree with this. This statement seems to assume the poster doesn't have her act together. It's a piece of cake to get the surgeries done. A person who is committed to having their animals spayed/neutered will get it done. I just had my kittens, who are brother/sister, fixed. I knew from day one when I would have to accomplish it and had reminders on my phone so it didn't get away from me.

We have a barn kitty. We always had outdoor cats as kids too. In fact, my mom still lives on the 80 acres I grew up on (3 miles from here as the crow flies) with plenty of (spayed females--no males) outdoor cats.

I've never heard of a pack of stray cats chasing deer, horses or cattle. Never caught a cat killing domestic chickens, ducks, caged rabbits etc. Not that it would never happen--it's just quite incredibly unlikely. That's a dog thing. Any dog - especially in the company of another dog.

I was just telling my dc yesterday that when we first moved out to the country 12 years ago, the problem was lots of dogs roaming around. Now I rarely see a dog and it's cats roaming around. One even had kittens in our crawl space and seems to have taken up residence in our yard. I'd much rather have cats than dogs LOL. I'm not worried about some ten pound cat attacking my children!

I disagree with this. This statement seems to assume the poster doesn't have her act together. It's a piece of cake to get the surgeries done. A person who is committed to having their animals spayed/neutered will get it done. I just had my kittens, who are brother/sister, fixed. I knew from day one when I would have to accomplish it and had reminders on my phone so it didn't get away from me.

Danielle, This is not even related to the OP specifically, but the "world"....most people don't spay/neuter for various reasons. Hence the overpopulation of many, many, animals. There are not enough homes for all of them.

I was just telling my dc yesterday that when we first moved out to the country 12 years ago, the problem was lots of dogs roaming around. Now I rarely see a dog and it's cats roaming around. One even had kittens in our crawl space and seems to have taken up residence in our yard. I'd much rather have cats than dogs LOL. I'm not worried about some ten pound cat attacking my children!

Our Ragdoll cat is about 15 pounds!!!! Some are even bigger...they are a BIG breed. :lol:

Sadly, people rarely heed those warnings. They honestly don't get that someone would shoot their precious dog. It's not that complicated. I don't love your dog like you (say you) do. If you put a farmer in the uncomfortable position of deciding between your dog (whom they have no love for) and their fenced in/caged defenseless animals, it's no contest.

Don't make someone have to do that. There's really no joy in it--and no alternative. Animal control out here does not want to get calls about dogs harassing livestock. There's just too much livestock and it's the farmer's job to protect their own. Farmers don't raise these animals to entertain your dog.

Have a secure place for your dogs--especially at night. We did have animals attacked in broad daylight, but mostly these things happen at night when owners think their little Fido is asleep on the porch. Nope. He has made a new friend and they're off looking for something to kill or chase.

Danielle, This is not even related to the OP specifically, but the "world"....most people don't spay/neuter for various reasons. Hence the overpopulation of many, many, animals. There are not enough homes for all of them.

I understand that, but the OP said she plans to have the kittens spayed/neutered and well-cared-for.

Part of the reason there are not enough homes is that these organizations are requiring overly strict standards. It should not be harder to adopt a cat than it is to adopt a child from Korea.

I recently got two kittens from a friend of a friend whose cat had illegitimate babies. ;) I have no particular attachment to having kittens and would happily have given homes to two older cats. But I would not be a candidate for adoption from the Human Society. Why? Because my cats are allowed outdoors, though they are mostly in, and my dog is outdoors, except at night or severe weather. I would also not be willing to waive my right to unwarranted search and seizure.

I have found this in our area, too. Things have gotten really weird with pet adoptions..... It's not enough to be willing and able to give an animal a good home, you have to adopt the core values of some amorphous animal lovers' society in order to qualify.... There's one place here that has their animals on a vegetarian diet and you have to sign that you will keep them on such a diet before you can adopt one of them.... I wonder if the pet police come 'round to analyze their food bowls to make sure there's no meat residue in there....

Personally, I think dogs that are mostly outdoors have a better life than dogs that are always indoors. I know about all the normal dog behavior that offends people because it isn't good in a house. When the dog is outside, none of those things are problems anymore. My dog doesn't annoy me by scratching up the hardwood floor, breaking things with his big tail, having an accident because we were gone all day, tear up the couch because he's lonely or bring in hair, parasites, stink and mud. He gets focused attention every single day. He just doesn't have to sleep with me to get it.

:iagree:Our big lab is only allowed in the mudroom, open to the kitchen/family room where we spend most of our time. He basically sleeps and eats there. Otherwise, he has a run, a fenced deck on which to sun himself, and he gets plenty of exercise and attention from all of us whenever we're outside. He doesn't need to be climbing in our laps and beds, too.

I have found this in our area, too. Things have gotten really weird with pet adoptions..... It's not enough to be willing and able to give an animal a good home, you have to adopt the core values of some amorphous animal lovers' society in order to qualify.... There's one place here that has their animals on a vegetarian diet and you have to sign that you will keep them on such a diet before you can adopt one of them.... I wonder if the pet police come 'round to analyze their food bowls to make sure there's no meat residue in there....

Exactly.

LOL. I'm never going to get this conversation.

Yes, be responsible for your animals. I think we can all agree on that.

To what level of codling we have to treat the animal will probably vary widely.

Heck some people put clothes on their dogs and carry them around in purses.

My SIL puts doggie diapers down on the floor so her dog doesn't have to go outside in the winter to do its business.

Whatever. I think it is crazy.

Now THAT I've never heard before. :lol::lol:

Even chickens are not vegetarians. :001_huh: What will they think of next?

I know you're upset but really, can't you have another animal give birth? Millions of cats are killed every year because they can't find homes for them.

I wouldn't adopt a cat or dog from a humane society that was so intrusive into my life. I would go to a breeder or craigslist or many other sources first. Maybe if these shelters were more reasonable to deal with, more people would adopt pets from them and they wouldn't have to kill so many animals. But then I really don't think they care about that.

Though if I'm honest, I have my own pet-peeves when it comes to the treatment of animals. It absolutely ticks me off to hear the neighbor dog howling all day long (from inside his house) because his owners are gone 10+ hours a day.

If you are going to own a dog, at least play with him, walk him, give him something to do!

Maybe if these shelters were more reasonable to deal with, more people would adopt pets from them and they wouldn't have to kill so many animals. But then I really don't think they care about that.

Really? I think most shelters are doing the best they can to find good homes for the animals in their care. They have a protocol for weeding out applications that may indicate the animal *could* be a repeat customer for them in the future. Failure to spay/neuter current pets is a warning flag.

I'm curious how you feel the shelter is benefiting by being choosy about who is allowed to adopt.

That really depends on the breed of dog. I have a Pug, in no way would he be happier living outdoors most of the time. He's happiest when curled up next to me snoring or snorting away. With the heat we've had this summer being outside for extended periods could actually kill him.

I know the original poster mentioned a lab and I agree with many that say they are more social. My parents have one and she's happiest when cuddled up next to my dad on the couch, yes all 100lbs of her.

DS rescued a stray from oncoming traffic last winter. It was freezing outside and the dog's paws were covered in ice. He brought it home and kept it overnight since it was a Sunday. On Monday morning we took it to the local shelter. They recognized it immediately as being 'one of theirs'. The dog had been adopted and the family let the dog run. Evidently the family claimed the dog needed exercise so they let it out. The workers told us it had been back to the shelter multiple times since the adoption and this time it was not going back to the family.

That to me is the best reason why shelters should screen people wanting to adopt an animal. Now, the extent to which they screen is questionable.

Really? I think most shelters are doing the best they can to find good homes for the animals in their care. They have a protocol for weeding out applications that may indicate the animal *could* be a repeat customer for them in the future. Failure to spay/neuter current pets is a warning flag.

I'm curious how you feel the shelter is benefiting by being choosy about who is allowed to adopt.

I didn't say they were benefiting. If they really cared about the animals, reasonable people would not be excluded from adopting from them b/c they didn't feed them a vegi diet or agree to make them indoor pets, or because they had children under a certain age in their home.

Just because you do not buy into all of the stuff they are pushing you to agree to does not mean that you are incapable of taking care of a pet or being a responsible owner.

Once again if the animals are not adopted out, they are killed. They could have gone to good homes.

Some friends of ours adopted a Beagle and, after about a month, realized they weren't cut out to be pet owners. We'd been considering another dog and offered to take the Beagle to meet our dog (I'd posted about this before and got great advice on introducing them) and, if all worked well, we'd give her a home.

Well, the original adoption agreement stipulated that our friends would have to bring the dog back to the Humane Society if things didn't work out. They were not allowed to simply find her another home.

So...we all trek to the HS, both families and dogs in tow, ready to make the transfer, only to find out we have to pay another $95 adoption fee...even though the original family had just paid it less than a month ago.

We paid it, considered it a donation, but I was a little miffed by that policy. Grief!

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I know how frustrating it can be. But, yeah, put the word out you're looking for a dog and I'm sure one will turn up.

We got our first dog through a vet friend who knew we were looking for a dog. This one was a stray and was brought in to her clinic - she called us we paid for her medical expenses and that was it - no lengthy interview or process.

OP: I totally understand your frustration with what you experienced. Although I get why the Humane Society has some of the requirements it does, I agree that they could make it a lot easier to adopt animals out to loving homes.

We adopted our cat from a family off of Freecycle (http://www.freecycle.org/) 1.5 years ago - just picked her up, no cost, no hassle, and she's been a wonderful addition to our family (and yes, she's spayed). There's a Freecycle community in most towns in the U.S. (and some outside of the U.S. too). People regularly post puppies and dogs for adoption on our local list, so might be worth checking out for your area.

We adopted our dog a month ago from a rescue adoption fair (usually held in the parking lots of pet stores a couple times a month). He's 7 months old and had spent the past 5 months at a rescue kennel. There was some paperwork and a rehoming fee, but it was much easier than anything I've experienced at the Humane Society.

Hope you find a great puppy to bring into your family (and that the next experience is a positive one)!

But the issue is not "capability". Sure our labs could have stayed outside 24/7. Capable means they are "able" to do it. Well, of course. The issue is this....is this part of the dog's characteristics or personality? NO. Labs will live outside but they would PREFER, LOVE, THRIVE being WITH their "pack" the family (human family).

And, yes, sometimes labs will attack. We know of one breeder who was raising very assertive pupples. We should have turned him in, b/c that's unethical. BUT THAT IS NOT THE NORM.

An analogy would be to say that b/c I'm a Christian and Jesus follower that I support bombings of abortion clinics. I don't support that behavior. While I don't agree with abortion at all, it's not anyone's right to bomb another. It's NOT the norm to assume that b/c of one then all mindset. HTH. Sheryl <>< (Jesus follower)

Sorry, had to change you back to black as that light pink hurts my eyes to read.

MOST ALL lab puppies will "play" with kittens or any other small animal they can get hold of. It is their nature. They aren't being mean, nor is it just those that are being "raised to be very assertive". Labs are high energy and VERY curious compared to other breeds. This is partly why they make good outdoor dogs.

Yes, capable DOES mean "able" (please look at the root word). Many of the farm families here do no consider them to be "indoor dogs". Same with the farm families I knew in another state, halfway across the country. Farms and farm animals are different than living in town and having a "pet". The dogs have a job, not just to be cute and cuddly. You wouldn't bring your horse inside and cuddle up with it at night, would you? (okay, I KNOW that there are some here that would probably bed down in the barn with their horses given a chance :lol:, but generally speaking). MANY dogs are still "with their pack", well loved, well cared for, well sheltered, but don't live IN THE HOUSE with their owners.

Maybe if these shelters were more reasonable to deal with, more people would adopt pets from them and they wouldn't have to kill so many animals. But then I really don't think they care about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama Geek viewpost.gif

end quotes

If I were one of the dogs, I believe I would consider a 75% chance of a perminant home better than a 100% chance of being put to death. For that matter a diet including meat would be better than being put to death or living for another 4 years would be better than being put to death today.

You asked what they stand to benefit, I believe it is the chance to forward a socialist druid agenda, but then you did ask.

Dogs love being with their family...they love being with people. Why get a dog if you intend to make it live outside? Letting them go outside is one thing, but making them live outside is another.

I need to correct you here. I come several generations of ranchers/farmers. While dogs need a pack, they don't necessarily need a human pack. Many working dogs view their farm animals as their pack and are quite content to live with them outdoors.

I think they are perfect examples of -- if you want to protect your animals and treat them like family -- almost like humans -- keep them indoors. For people who want their pets to be like members of the family, treat them as such. If you wouldn't let your two-year old run around the neighborhood, don't let your dog or cat run around the neighborhood.

Animals to many people are still meant to serve purposes other than being cuddled. They are often for protection of livestock and grains.

Both of those are PERFECT examples of why the Humane Society has EVERY right to say the dog must be an indoor dog! :glare:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mama Geek viewpost.gif

end quotes

If I were one of the dogs, I believe I would consider a 75% chance of a perminant home better than a 100% chance of being put to death. For that matter a diet including meat would be better than being put to death or living for another 4 years would be better than being put to death today.

You asked what they stand to benefit, I believe it is the chance to forward a socialist druid agenda, but then you did ask.

:lol: Hey, welcome to the boards!

i haven't read all the replies, but I did read the first page...

I am not surprised by what the organization did, although I don't entirely agree. If you are going to have kittens, that is a joyful, awesome thing! Just be responsible and fix them ALL. I agree that labs want to be part of the family and you should incorporate both outdoor and indoor time in your life.

I also understand your desire to turn to a breeder. I will offer another option... I wanted a dog for my autistic spectrum son who was 8 at the time and the youngest in our home. I was SHUNNED and made to feel like I was a hassle and a waste of the 'time... they were really rude to me and did not care whatsoever about our desire for a dog... So, I contacted a few vets offices. Bingo! Many times vets are contacted regarding lost, abandoned or unwanted animals and they often know where dogs are being foster homed as well. The local vet connected us with our very loved family dog... Just another idea...

I haven't had a chance to read through the pages of replies, but I can't stop thinking about your post.

I understand that there are outside farm dogs that have good lives with loving families. I've met many. Where I grew up, most dogs were loved pets who lived outside.

I grew up with a mama kitty (named Mama Kitty). She had several litters of kittens that were in much demand because they were good mousers. It was wonderful experience for us as children.

AND....I've volunteered at the local animal shelter and seen the animals brought in. Litters and litters of kittens, adorable kittens, brought in because the owners of the mother did not get their cat spayed and they could not find people to adopt the kittens. Dogs who were not properly trained or socialized, dogs with behavior problems from being left outside for long periods of time. Dogs returned to the shelter because that adorable sweet puppy wouldn't stop barking or chewed everything or grew up to be a not-so-adorable pain in the rear because it was left alone too much.

I'm not saying this would be the case for you and your cats or for your future dog. Your family sounds responsible and loving, and I am sure your home would have been wonderful for that puppy. I understand your hurt and how difficult it was for your children. But the shelter does not know you as a family personally. They are well within their rights to place limits on who can adopt, and they have chosen those particular limitations for good reason.

And yes, good loving families get weeded out in that process. But it also eliminates many of the irresponsible ones. Don't blame the shelter. Blame the people who are really responsible for those policies in the first place--the people who aren't caring properly for their pets.

Cat

Dogs love being with their family...they love being with people. Why get a dog if you intend to make it live outside? Letting them go outside is one thing, but making them live outside is another.

I really get agrevated with this line of thinking. It's true for SOME dogs! But others are happy as clams outside. Come on over, I'll show you!

OP: I totally understand your frustration with what you experienced. Although I get why the Humane Society has some of the requirements it does, I agree that they could make it a lot easier to adopt animals out to loving homes.

We adopted our cat from a family off of Freecycle (http://www.freecycle.org/) 1.5 years ago - just picked her up, no cost, no hassle, and she's been a wonderful addition to our family (and yes, she's spayed). There's a Freecycle community in most towns in the U.S. (and some outside of the U.S. too). People regularly post puppies and dogs for adoption on our local list, so might be worth checking out for your area.

We adopted our dog a month ago from a rescue adoption fair (usually held in the parking lots of pet stores a couple times a month). He's 7 months old and had spent the past 5 months at a rescue kennel. There was some paperwork and a rehoming fee, but it was much easier than anything I've experienced at the Humane Society.

Hope you find a great puppy to bring into your family (and that the next experience is a positive one)!

Unfortunately, our area's freecycle has a "no animal/pet" posting rule. You can't request or give away any. I think it partly has to do with the puppy mill issue (but those are for $$$ so I don't fully get it). Craigslist here, I think you can only post free puppies unless you have a license to sell.

Most of our dogs growing up were from the HS or inherited from family (these were mostly indoor ones...one came with a terminal disease we found out after adoption and eventually had to be put down, and another lived with us from the time I was 9 and died a year after I married). I've gotten a cat from one no kill shelter that had foster homes for their cats. However, when we were not able to have a cat anymore, we gave him to family (health issue at that time). One rescue was dumped at my cousin's door. Two rescues were posted as Free on the side of the road. Once we took in three cats that came from another farm (we wanted mousers on the property when we moved in and we left them for the next family...the landlords knew and agreed. We've heard about them since and they lived a normal farm life). We took in a lab that got separated on a run with his mother. Found out he came from a neighbouring farm and they told us we could keep him (he's the one that eventually became a hog herding dog and lived happily on a free range farm outside).

The point is, there are so many OTHER sources. The HS's are going to lose money and keep putting animals down if they are TOO nitpicky. I don't feel sorry for them when they are like that. They either want to adopt animals out to loving homes or they don't. Personally, IF I was ever to adopt from one, I would not give them a lick of information on young children, other pets, and I'd nod my head through the rest.