Menu

Which one of these would your tween/teen boy be most likely to wear?

Which one would your tween/teen boy be most likely to wear?  

1. 1. Which one would your tween/teen boy be most likely to wear?

• Trilobite
    • Knotty but Nice
    • Boyfriend Hat
    • Fish Hat
    • Topi
    • Other - I'll link to it in my post
    • None of those

I'm knitting a couple/few chemo caps for a local 12yo boy who's on his way to 5 weeks of radiation and chemo. Our families know each other fairly well, but I don't know this boy well enough to know if he likes silly, serious, or what his strong interests may be.

These are the patterns that passed my tween boy's radar. Would you mind asking your boys which one they'd be most likely to wear? A poll will be coming shortly.

The first link is to the pattern with several pictures, the second link is directly to one particular picture so you don't have to scroll through patterns.

Trilobite - picture

Knotty but Nice - picture

Boyfriend Hat - picture

Fish Hat - picture (Not my first choice, but my boy is getting a kick out of it and requested it for himself.)

Topi- picture

I just asked Sushi what he thought. For what it is worth, he does wear hats like this. Here's what he said:

The knotty and boyfriend were his favorites. He liked them equally and stressed that color choice is important. He likes darker colors.

He didn't like the trilobite at all.

The topi was okay but felt a little "hipster" to him. My 9 year old daughter, Bacon, wears this style hat all the time and would love it.

Everyone in the house loves the fish. Sushi said he isn't sure he would wear it, but he thinks it is clever and not too much. Peanut (6 y.o daughter) wants one in every color.

ds 15 liked the knotty but nice, loved the boyfriend hat, said he really liked the topi but that the rim was too long. He said dark colors or very bright would be preferred. He is a fashionista of sorts and is pretty particular with clothing, and he does like hats.

He just came back and told me he'd wear the trilobite if it was in the right color.

Dd 10 LOVED the topi, would wear the knotty but nice if it were in lime green. :D

I think color choice is key, and I think the topi is pretty "hip" while the boyfriend hat is a safe bet.

You do awesome work!

Boyfriend hat, maybe in his favorite color. Probably something darker if you don't know. I wouldn't do grey simply because everything seems grey when you're dealing with cancer tx. Maybe a dark deep green or deep navy blue. Some color that would exude hope without being gloomy.

Also check the yarn to make sure it's soft. Depending on where here is having radiation you can develop a deep "sunburn" and everything that touches your skin hurts. I had 6 weeks of radiation on my upper torso and it hurt to wear a shirt half the time.

My ds's are 15 and 12 and of those choices would likely only wear the Boyfriend Hat. My only concern with this pattern is it looks kind of tight on the head. Could bother a sensitive scalp. Other than that, maybe adding a color stripe would perk it up a little.

One of my favorite hats is Turn-a-Square by Jared Flood.

Cinder

How kind!

My only boy is 5 months old but I could see my 15 year old nephew in Boyfriend and Topi. Checked the poll (I didn't vote BTW) and saw those were the most popular. Topi definitely looks more trendy. If you are unsure, go for the Boyfriend hat and if you want to make more than one, I'd do black and grey, dark green, or brown.

Edited by littleWMN
typo

My 13 yo ds has requested a fish hat. He says he would wear it. I think he probably would.

Me, I think the boyfriend hat would be a safe bet. It is more the color than the style. The knotty but nice would be acceptable in a darker color. The color in the picture is just too feminine. I know boys who would love the topi. That one is just a matter of facial structure and personality.

My 13 yo ds has requested a fish hat. He says he would wear it. I think he probably would.

Me, I think the boyfriend hat would be a safe bet. It is more the color than the style. The knotty but nice would be acceptable in a darker color. The color in the picture is just too feminine. I know boys who would love the topi. That one is just a matter of facial structure and personality.

Okay, so seriously, how much for a fish hat? He really likes it.:lol:

I appreciate the input. Thankyou. :001_smile: My son is probably desensitized in this area, as he's been around crafters and worn homemade all his life. He loves designing his own clothes and would have no problems being the only kid in the room with a fish or Goomba on his head. He very rarely goes for the plain option.

Boyfriend is winning by a landslide. I just cast on Boyfriend for the first hat in a dark navy/green colorway, in a yarn I've made newborn clothes out of. :001_smile: The colors won't lump together, and it will look solid unless you're fairly close.

I'll grab some Blue Sky cotton next time I'm at the LYS. That's the softest machine washable yarn I know of. It's easier to find scrumptiously soft yarn in handwash, but I don't want to add anything for his mom to have to do.

I assume the radiation will be aimed at local boy's noggin. :001_unsure: He just had his second brain tumor removed, but they weren't able to get it all this time.

Edited by SilverMoon

Ds13 voted for the trilobite (2nd choice was the knotty, 3rd was topi,) and was surprised the boyfriend hat had so many votes. But where we live, people wear interesting knit hats in winter.

All of us LOVE the fish hat! Are you taking orders? ;)

Boyfriend is winning by a landslide. I just cast on Boyfriend for the first hat in a dark navy/green colorway, in a yarn I've made newborn clothes out of. :001_smile: The colors won't lump together, and it will look solid unless you're fairly close.

I love the first three, but the boyfriend hat is apparently the most teen boy friendly hat there.

How awesome that you're doing this. :001_smile:

My ds likes the 'boyfriend hat' and the 'topi hat' best. He has some hats in similar styles. He said the knotty one was "ick" but might be better if it was in dark grey or dark navy. He thought the fish one would be neat for a little kid.

My ds 14 likes fun hats. He likes knotty and the topi. He also agrees that everyone should have a fishhat as well! Ds wears a stockingish cap in reds and browns with a cool tassle and a little purple thrown in. He also wears roadster style caps from stores like Gap and Urban Outfitter. I would think about cotton yarn for comfort and temperature. You're sweet to do this for him.

I think the cables & knot detail on both the trilobite & the knotty are risky.

I like the boyfriend & the topi & the fish. The fish is awesome.

My 10yo ds picked the boyfriend hat and said it was his favorite (and then asked why I haven't knitted hom one yet :tongue_smilie:). His next favorite was the fish but also said it could only be worn on silly days with friends that really understand you. the others he said looked like girl hats.