Menu

Who is doing Amer. History this year and grades/ages

We're doing a recap of it since last year we kind of had a start and stop year with history. So I plan to use historical fiction and maybe a lapbook or two. We'll also be using the State sheets that come with the HITW map download to study 2 states a week.

My kids will be 11 y/o 6th grader, 8.5 y/o 3rd grader, and a 5 y/o Ker

We'll be learning about American History this fall as well for our DD6/1st. We'll be using Queen's Living History of our World: America's Story (there really needs to be an abbreviation for that) and some other living book read-a-louds. We are VERY excited as well!!!:D

We're doing Early American History with Sonlight Core 3 and Winter Promise AS1 thrown in here and there. My boys will be in 3rd and 4th grade. We're very excited - my younger son has already pulled out More Than Moccasins and started making crafts! :D

We'll be doing American and World from 1860 - current with my 7th dd (12 y/o) and 2 ds's 1 & 3rd grades (6&8) using SOTW 3 (last 5 ch.'s ) and SOTW 4....still working out the kinks, but plan to focus on American hx. also deciding whether or not to have ds grade 11 use BF Civil War- Vietnam.

DD will also be using VP cards...OY...better get filing:D

Faithe

I'm going to try to get through Amer. history in a year using two Veritas Press Cards a week to guide us. Our spines will be Hakim History of US, Kingfisher, and Child's Story of America. Our literature will come from SL Core's 3,4, and 100. We'll do hand's on using Hand's and Hearts history kits, and maybe a western expansion lapbook I purchased from Hand's of a Child. Our mapping we'll come from Scholastic's Interactive 3-D maps. I'm looking forward to a relaxed and fun year of history with no teacher manual, for my 9 and almost 14 yr.old., with a K'er listening in as well.

We are using Adventures in My Father's World with a 2nd grader, 1st grader, 4 year old and tiny boy! :001_smile: After reading through the teaching manual I have decided it is perfect for my boys this year! JUST what we need!! My 4yo will enjoy some of it too . . .

I'm doing History at our House US History this year (this past one was European History) with a 11 yo- 6th and a 10 yo- 5th. It also includes geography, things going on around the "americas" and art study.

I am going to actually stay caught up on it this year! ;)

We are doing American history this year. My 8th grade dd is doing SL Core 100. My 2nd grade ds will be doing a program I'm putting together myself. My best friend's kids in K and 4th will be using my plans as well.

I do think I will add in a few books from SL Core 3-4 as read alouds with both of them. We might even read them at night with dh.

My ds 9 (4th) and ds 7 (2nd) will be using the Early 19th Century Time Traveler cd this year. We're going to be adding in a lot of reading and a few other projects to stretch it out for the full year. We plan to dive into the Pioneers, Westward Expansion, Lewis & Clark, Native Americans, and CA State History (Gold Rush, Missions, etc.) pretty deeply. I don't think we'll get to the Civil War and beyond this year. We had a great year, last year, moving through Colonial Times through the Revolutionary War.

We are the doing the 2nd half of US History this year. I used SL Core 3 last year and have most of Core 4, but we have a few glitches that are causing me to tweak it quite a bit.

My boys will be 7th, 5th, and 1st next year. My 7th grader has some LD issues though so he is not reading at grade level.

My boys are far more activities/hands on based than SL allows and we can't fit in all of SL's reading and the hands on, so we are picking and choosing and making it work using Homeschool in the Woods Timeline CDs as a "spine" and SL books for the meat.

It actually looks a lot like Winter Promise, but I just can't afford another curriculum right now! :)

Dawn

We are! We'll be using Trail Guide's Paths of Exploration with dd8 (3rd) and my tag-alongs, 6yo ds (K/1) and 3yo. Dd8 is also reading through the Artner's Guide books on her own; she's currently in the middle of the explorers.

Sounds like us, except sons and daughters are switched! We are also doing POE with ds8 (4th) and dd6 (2nd) and 3yo and 1yo(he'll be doing the read-alouds: JK). We can't wait. My dd asked today why we can't start school this week - why do we have to wait! lol

We're doing Early American History with Sonlight Core 3 and Winter Promise AS1 thrown in here and there. My boys will be in 3rd and 4th grade. We're very excited - my younger son has already pulled out More Than Moccasins and started making crafts! :D

We loved Sonlight Year 3 last year! We have moved on to American History part 2 this year. DD will be in 6th grade.

I'm doing American History with both my kids 9 and almost 7, although they'll be studying different parts of it. With 9 year old it will be pioneers, westward expansion, US Presidents. With younger it'll be early American history.

We are doing BF Early American along with the activities found on Guest Hollow website. I am looking forward to this and hope the kids enjoy it! I am not the best w/ hands-on (other than drawing, lapbooks and notebooks) and need to commit to at least trying b/c there are so many things we can make or cook!

Happy travels!

I am doing SL core 3 with my 5th grader and 2nd grader. We are super excited!

I will be doing this also. More or less.... we will continue the SL Core 3 I started last year with my 4th grader, and she will be finishing it in 5th grade with little world history rabbit trails where appropriate. I hope to start Core 4 after Christmas and give that one a year and a half also.

I'm dropping any formal history for the soon-to-be 2nd grader, and if he likes, he can follow along with his sister in Core 3 this year. It should be more doable than combining them last year would have been.

I ordered Hakim's History of US and am also planning to do SOTW4...now I'm trying not to obsess over whether to coordinate them or start at the beginning of both. I'm also wondering if we'll just use Hakim as a read-aloud or if there is a study guide somewhere that would work well for elem students.

We'll be doing the second half of American history with SL Core 4. My boys will be 2nd and 4th grades, and we have a tagalong not-quite-5yo. I am very excited. I think they will love it!:001_smile: We did SL Core 3 last year so this is a continuation of that.

We are finishing up the last half of American History with All American History 2. My DS is 13 and in 8th grade. We are fairly excited about it. We did spend a disproportionate amount of time on AAH1 last year so I am toning down my supplements this year. DS loves history, though, so I am sure things will be added in as we go along.

Guest aquiverfull

We are doing American History and Ancient History. We plan to have American as our main study and do Ancients in a unit study fashion as we feel like it.

I'm doing American history with a 4th grader and 2nd grader. We're using Mara Pratt's Great American History Stories, volumes 1-2. We'll finish volumes 3-4 the following year, then start over in world history.

I am excited about all the hands-on stuff we can do, and the great read alouds that will go with this!

I registered dd 13/8th for TPS Jr. High US History with Mr. Crosby on Thursdays.

I listened to the entire sample lesson/session and loved it. He mixes history with current events.

We will still add tons of US History resources to this 'program' which I'm creating for dd (Story of US dvds, History Channel docs, TTC lectures, living books, etc).

As for the younger dds, we are doing a US History steam as well as an ancient history stream. They will even cover middle ages history in CC. (We love, love history!)

Our US History stream will include living books, VP cards, Hakim selections, Drive Thru American History, Liberty Kids, and selections/readings from this inexpensive paperback book I found at Costco: The Complete Book of United States History.

My girls are sucked into all-things American these days. Today they are watching the Statue Of Liberty segments from the Story of US History Channel documentary. Last night they begged for the episode on the Mayflower.