Menu

What would you do?? Giving to church building fund?

We are debt free except the mortgage, we have about 10k in the bank set aside for emergencies (like real emergencies, not "I want a new washer fund".)

Our church is starting to raise money for a building and my husband thinks we should give sacriffically, which I totally agree with, but he wants to go without a paycheck for 3 months and give that to the church and live off our savings for that time. Which is freaking me out! That would almost if not all deplete our savings, which I don't think is being a good steward of our money and I hate debt and if ANYTHING happens, we will have to go into debt most likely since it will take awhile to build back an emergency fund. I am all for cutting out the luxuries, cable, going out to eat, all frivoulous spending for 3 months to give that to the church, I told him I would also be willing to stop retirement savings for 3 months (which believe me, is not an easy thing for me). I told him I also fine if he wants to sell stuff or get a job in the evening to get money to give the church. He thinks we should give by faith, which I totally agree with, but I also think you have to be responsible and take care of your family. This isn;t like this is a savings account for a new TV or something, this is incase we have an emergency and money to use for that as opposed using a credit card.

I told him that I believe he is the head of the household and I will do what he thinks is best, but I am also part upset becuase I think this is "easier" for him and "harder" for me, since I am the one who would is more concerned about the money. Part of me thinks he should sell his golf clubs and TV and that would be "harder" for him. If that makes sense..

UGHHHHHhh.... Do you have any advice? How should I handle this? I don't want to just sound angry, but it is stressing me out.

I'm all for giving to charity and I think it's great he wants to contribute. But there's a difference between contributing and going without a salary for MONTHS while you live off of money that is supposed to be your nest egg in case of an emergency and virtually deplete those funds. I don't think that's a very responsible idea, and it's not even like it's going to some sort of life-saving organization- it's a building construction fund. I could never go along with that, to that extent. No way! I hope that you are able to find a compromise- well, it sounds like you already found a very reasonable compromise, I hope that he is willing to take you up on it!

I think it would be much more meaningful to give instead of going out, cable tv, etc. Every time you decide to eat at home instead of going out, you can stop and pray for the church. Every time you choose to not watch tv, you can stop and pray for the church. It may not be as much in terms of dollars, but it would be more in terms of day-to-day sacrifice for your family.

The borrower is a slave to the lender and borrowing money is specifically condemned in Proverbs.

Further, I would be much more inclined to give a large sum of money to help feed the hungry and clothe the naked and less inclined to use our emergency fund to build a building. Not that it's not a worthy cause...just not worthy enough to sacrifice your peace of mind and go into debt, imo.

Just my 2 cents...you get what you pay for ;)

We are debt free except the mortgage, we have about 10k in the bank set aside for emergencies (like real emergencies, not "I want a new washer fund".)

Our church is starting to raise money for a building and my husband thinks we should give sacriffically, which I totally agree with, but he wants to go without a paycheck for 3 months and give that to the church and live off our savings for that time. Which is freaking me out! That would almost if not all deplete our savings, which I don't think is being a good steward of our money and I hate debt and if ANYTHING happens, we will have to go into debt most likely since it will take awhile to build back an emergency fund. I am all for cutting out the luxuries, cable, going out to eat, all frivoulous spending for 3 months to give that to the church, I told him I would also be willing to stop retirement savings for 3 months (which believe me, is not an easy thing for me). I told him I also fine if he wants to sell stuff or get a job in the evening to get money to give the church. He thinks we should give by faith, which I totally agree with, but I also think you have to be responsible and take care of your family. This isn;t like this is a savings account for a new TV or something, this is incase we have an emergency and money to use for that as opposed using a credit card.

I told him that I believe he is the head of the household and I will do what he thinks is best, but I am also part upset becuase I think this is "easier" for him and "harder" for me, since I am the one who would is more concerned about the money. Part of me thinks he should sell his golf clubs and TV and that would be "harder" for him. If that makes sense..

UGHHHHHhh.... Do you have any advice? How should I handle this? I don't want to just sound angry, but it is stressing me out.

Honestly? Pray. You will get all kinds of advice from this board, but if you really feel he is head of the household and will do what he thinks is best, listening to others give you advice will probably not help. You may want to be more specific in what kind of advice you are seeking. Are you asking how to handle allowing him to make the decision? Or do you just want to know what others think of his idea and how they would handle it? You are sure to get some, "I think he's crazy and no way would I stand for it" and some, "He is the head of the household and it is his responsibility." If you're more specific as to what your asking, hopefully you will get advice targeted to what you are actually seeking.

HTH-

No, I would not do what your husband wants to do.

God does tell us to listen to him, to trust him, to let him provide for us. Definitely with ya on that one. He also tells us to plan carefully, don't be foolish, save wisely--so, are you acting out of fear? or are you being a good steward of what you have, caring responsibly for your family? Is he wanting to do such a grand gesture because he really feels God wants him to, or is he (somewhere deep inside, probably) wanting to do the biggest thing he can think of for the church b/c of other things? (reward from men, the thrill of doing something extravegant, making up for sin, etc.)

Find out his motivation--have him sit quietly and really listen to God. And pray that God will both lessen your fear of letting Him provide for you and give you wisdom to see where that provision is--He's already provided for you with the savings you've got, but don't let that be a "bigger barn" iykwim.

Sorry so scattered...

I would trust that if you are giving God back some of His money sacrificially to build His house, that He will provide for you if you have a need. :001_smile:

I try to think of how God is trying to teach me in any situation. Maybe He wants you to get over your concern about money and trust in dh and Him. :grouphug:

Why is a church building a priority over taking care of your family? I do not understand this about churches.

I think that Christians are commanded to take care of the immediate needs of others sacrificially: feed the poor, clothe the naked, etc., right now. But, there is no mandate to: build a bigger church with more modern facilities. And yet, churches are constantly raising money for these things and "asking" families to give sacrificially.

If there was a disaster in your area and parishoners and non-parishoners lost their homes, possessions, food, etc., and the church asked you to give sacrificially, I would say give every single thing that you can give and then some. BUT, this is not the same thing. Here I say, give what you want to give without putting your family's finances in peril.

Why is a church building a priority over taking care of your family? I do not understand this about churches.

I think that Christians are commanded to take care of the immediate needs of others sacrificially: feed the poor, clothe the naked, etc., right now. But, there is no mandate to: build a bigger church with more modern facilities. And yet, churches are constantly raising money for these things and "asking" families to give sacrificially.

If there was a disaster in your area and parishoners and non-parishoners lost their homes, possessions, food, etc., and the church asked you to give sacrificially, I would say give every single thing that you can give and then some. BUT, this is not the same thing. Here I say, give what you want to give without putting your family's finances in peril.

:iagree: I think you should give, just not your entire savings.

Is there a reason you have to give the money quickly? Could you pledge 1/4 of his salary each month for a year instead of giving 3 months salary up front? If this is a long term project, that may be perfectly fine for the church's cash flow. Does your church have a mortgage for the building costs? Our parish is building a new church and this is the route they went, so they asked for monthly pledges instead of lump sums.

I would not do this. I'm spiritual but don't go to church so I've never had to deal with this but your situation sounds risky. I would go without luxuries for 3 mos and give the equivalent of that as a donation. In this economy it could be tragic to not have a 'nest egg' to be able to fall back on. Your dh needs to be considerate of your side. This decision should be made by both of you IMO.

Guest mrsjamiesouth
I think...only God can answer that question for you. If he feels like God is leading him to give, I would be acceptance with joy. It's a tough one, though. I believe you would be blessed abundantly for your obedience.

:iagree: I would pray and ask God to give you peace about it, if this is what your husband feels is right. You could also pray for a sign. Make sure this is from God.

Here's another issue: What if your church changes direction spiritually -- or you change direction spiritually -- and you stop attending? Your pastor could read a trendy book, get some "ideas," and suddenly your church could go off its original course. Or you could decide to go Reformed, or Orthodox, or something completely different from where you are now.

Your money, that you gave with so much sacrificial love, could end up in a different place from you and your family. I've seen it happen numerous times. You need to consider how you would feel in this circumstance.

I agree with Asta. There are soooo many *available* properties. I don't understand churches *building*...ESPECIALLY using that kind of money in this economy when so many people are on the verge of being without income. I think of all those thousands of dollars that could be helping PEOPLE.

That is just my opinion.

Buildings are nothing...they can BURN...like...appalling statues of Jesus... ;)

Is there any pressure being put on your dh? Will anyone know how much you gave?

If your church runs a nonpressure campaign, I might suggest that dh talk to the pastor about it. I believe our pastors would be very cautious about this plan.

If dh thinks the impulse came from God, then he also needs to test that, according to Scripture. One test is your reaction. Another would be asking an elder or pastor. Another is seeing if the impulse to give extravagantly lines up with anything "broken" part of dh. (What I mean by that is that often when people think they've heard something from God and I'm thinking, "I don't know about that. Doesn't sound like God to me," what I often find is that it lines up with some broken part of them. Totally different scenario: I know a woman who has gotten pretty much straight emotional abuse from her mother her whole life. Now her father & brother have died and her other sister has drawn a strong boundary and won't involve herself with mother's evil dramas. Woman has decided to leave her friends and life to go move in with mother to take care of her (mother can take care of herself; she is just mean as a snake and has no friends). Question is: is God really telling her to do that, or is she still desperately trying to wring affirmation from a rock because she still feels deep down she needs to be loved by her mother?) Does what I'm saying make sense? I think asking about the golf clubs and TV is another way to test it. I think that is legitimate question for him to ponder. He is willing to give up security (more important to you); is he willing to give up his toys? The same thing goes for you however. Do you think your impulse not to want to give comes from God via the wisdom he gave you or from an insecurity within you? Would you be willing to give if you knew it was God asking you to? Sarah followed Abraham into what looked to be some risky situations and God did take care of her; likewise, God told Abraham to listen to Sarah with regard to Ishmael.

Personally, I would not support that decision and I would let my husband know it loud and clear. It is irresponsible if you ask me....on both the part of your husband and the church. It wouldn't be happening as long as there was breath in my body.

I am a bit cynical about giving to churches to begin with. I would donate what I could but I don't agree with the whole tithing thing (but that's another thread).

There is a difference between giving and being supportive and then what your husband is suggesting. I would never, ever agree to it and I would make it known...loudly.Three months without a paycheck? Even if you believe in tithing, with is supposedly 10%, the three months of checks would be 25% of your pay.

Think if the church building is worth 25% of your pay. What would you go with out for that amount of money?

Are you willing to give up 25% of whatever you do in order to do this? You mentioned your husbands golf and TV. Is he willing to give up 25% of those activities?

Are you willing to give up 25% of whatever it is you want or need? Like homeschool materials?

Sure you could love off savings but you are still giving 25% of your income.

Has the church helped you through a difficult time financially? Perhaps that is why he is willing? I can understand then.

What does the church do for the community? Do they have blood drives, homeless shelter days, give out blankets/hot meals in the winter, give out water in summer? Do they help anyone? Do they charge for any services they do provide? I ask these because there is a churches in my area that are like that. They charge for services.

There are many factors I would consider and if it was my church aure I would want to help some but not that much.

Just my thoughts here...

I agree with the pp who suggested your husband speak with an elder or pastor.

It sounds like this issue requires more discussion b/t you and dh. I do believe dh is the head of the household and should make the final decision. That said, he does need to discuss this with you and both of you need to pray about it. There has GOT to be another solution that will honor the Lord, be sacrificial and give you both peace.

Well, I gather we come from completely different perspectives on marriage and religion, so I won't give you my two cents on that front. (I do love the suggestions others have posted here, and hope one of them works for you!)

It sounds as if, ultimately, you are going to go with whatever your husband decides, so your work will be to find a way to be at peace with that decision, and to find your own source of faith. In that case, I might look at the things you can do now to raise money instead of taking it from savings, and remind yourself that you could do those things later if an emergency did come up. Knowing that selling the golf clubs, television, etc. will continue to be options might give you some peace of mind.

I am a big believer in faith, and I trust that the Universe is conspiring to do me good, so I can appreciate that particular thread of your husband's argument. While what he is proposing wouldn't be something that would work in my family, I can see how the power of his belief is going to matter more than the action he is taking. So in your shoes I would simply put all of my efforts into finding that place of faith in wellbeing, and I would be sure not to attempt to shatter that faith in my husband. (One person believing it will all work out is far better than two people only half-believing it will all work out. The power of belief creates reality.)

Best of luck to you!

Edited by MelanieM

You should do what's right for your family, but personally I think it's awfully selfish to be asking families to give to a building fund in an economy like this. There are probably people without jobs who will feel led to give money they can't afford. It's more than "sacrificial" when you (general) give money to a building fund instead of feeding your family or paying your own mortgage.

We broke with our church when they decided they "needed" a $1,000,000 new sanctuary. Sorry, but no one needs a $1,000,000 house, including God. :glare:

Does your religion have laws or guidelines for giving charity???

Judaism generally discourages giving to a point that causes financial hardship because it could put the giver in danger of becoming financially dependent on others (including credit card companies!). Of course, very wealthy people can give as much as they like! :)

I think an emergency fund, especially in these times, should really be inviolable except for a true emergency like losing a job, G-d forbid.

Does your religion have laws or guidelines for giving charity???

Luke 21:1-4

"And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury. 2And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites.

3And he said, Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all:

4For all these have of their abundance cast in unto the offerings of God: but she of her penury hath cast in all the living that she had."

John 12

"Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.

4Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him,

5Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor?

6This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein.

7Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.

8For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always."

No, No, No!!!!!!! :willy_nilly::ohmy:

I don't think God wants anyone to sacrifice security and wellbeing for a church BUILDING.

I say it is time to use your excellent budgeting skills to budget a set amount each paycheck to donate if that's what you want to do. Save up over time and donate a lump sum, or donate a bit each paycheck.

If you want to make sacrifices, you can sacrifice "fun stuff" out of your budget such as cable TV, netflix, dining out, gifts (except kids) or even trimming your grocery budget. . . But, I think it is totally against God to essentially donate your emergency fund to BUILD A BUILDING.

FWIW, my variety of Christianity does NOT give over authority to the husband. There is NO WAY I'd agree to such an idea if my dh were to suggest it, but I would help him brainstorm other, responsible, ways to achieve his objective to donate "sacrificially" if that was what he wanted.

Also, if my church encouraged ANYONE to do such a thing, I would be out the door sadly looking for a new church home.

Seems unwise to me. It would put your family in a place of danger and that seems foolish for a head of household.

I agree with your thoughts and other posters, give up or sacrifice extras to give to the building fund or sell things.

Emergency fund is for emergencies and in my experience if you don't have one, you'll need it immediately! Life happens, don't be unprepared if you can help it!

Also, building programs are not short term things. While giving early can reduce interest payments for the church, you don't have to jump in with all that you have in the first three months. Think over a yesr or even two or three. Our church's last capital drive had a 5 yr. giving period before the balance rolled into a regular mortgage.

If this is what God is telling you to do, you daren't NOT do it.

You need to seek God's will. God asks us to do scary things sometimes

Abraham's sacrifice of Isaac

The widow who served her last mead and oil to Elijah

The hard part is knowing if it is God or if it is self calling for this.

:iagree:

I also agree that your husband should speak to a pastor if he is unwilling to accept your compromise. If the pastor agrees that you should deplete your emergency savings to build a building :confused: then I guess you don't have many options. I'll be praying for you. Maybe it shouldn't but this makes me incredibly sad when there are starving people in the world.

However, whenever someone quotes Malachi in that context ("Test Me!), I always want to quote back Moses--"We have enough now! Don't bring anymore!" Those quotes show clearly that circumstances and leading are different from one situation to another, even if the situations sound similar. There is no 'rule' here to follow, just principles--be prayerful, be sacrificial, give cheerfully (and no more than what you can give cheerfully).

I think it would be much more meaningful to give instead of going out, cable tv, etc. Every time you decide to eat at home instead of going out, you can stop and pray for the church. Every time you choose to not watch tv, you can stop and pray for the church. It may not be as much in terms of dollars, but it would be more in terms of day-to-day sacrifice for your family.

The borrower is a slave to the lender and borrowing money is specifically condemned in Proverbs.

Further, I would be much more inclined to give a large sum of money to help feed the hungry and clothe the naked and less inclined to use our emergency fund to build a building. Not that it's not a worthy cause...just not worthy enough to sacrifice your peace of mind and go into debt, imo.

Just my 2 cents...you get what you pay for ;)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I can only tell you what I would do as someone who is married to a pastor. If my pastor husband presented this to me I would tell him "NO!"

I would tell him I am willing to live off rice and beans for however long WE think we should to give sacrificially....but he is not touching the savings...he and I will not be in agreement over that.

Don't forget that right before the verses on "the husband being the head of the family" Are the verses about "submitting to each other." My dh would never force this type of issue on me. He has felt very strongly about things in the past, but he also has great faith in my judgement too :)

He would consider it "unloving" to willingly subject me to that level of anxiety over a "new" building! For heaven's sakes...it a building!!!

I also agree that your husband should speak to a pastor if he is unwilling to accept your compromise. If the pastor agrees that you should deplete your emergency savings to build a building :confused: then I guess you don't have many options. I'll be praying for you. Maybe it shouldn't but this makes me incredibly sad when there are starving people in the world.

Yeah, she has another option, find another church. I can't imagine any honest pastor, priest, brother, etc., telling anyone to deplete their savings so he/she can have a new building.

In Proverbs, Chapter 6, the Bible tells us to look to the ways of the ant, how she gathers her sustenance in times of plenty to save it for future times of want. In our economic situation, financial experts--including Christian ones-- are telling us to keep 3 to 6 months worth of savings on hand to tide us over when tough times come.

I would talk to your dh about this and the many other good points that have been made here. IMO, one of the responsibilities of a helpmate is to support your dh with additional input and considerations to help him make the wisest decisions possible. And of course to pray that God would guide his decisions and that he would be sensitive to that leading.

Dh and I have agreed that one of the red flags for us is any time that we are seriously divided on an issue. That means that we both need to spend more time in prayer over the issue before taking action. I don't believe that God would want to cause strife in a marriage over this. And I also believe that God doesn't need our money. As the Bible says, He can provide the money any way He chooses, if He wants it provided. Giving is more for us, to help us learn and grow. So my advice is to discuss this further with your dh and with God. It can take time to sort out what we are to do with the concepts of faith for provision, stewardship of the blessings we've been given, and Biblical obedience.

Yeah, she has another option, find another church. I can't imagine any honest pastor, priest, brother, etc., telling anyone to deplete their savings so he/she can have a new building.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: I cannot tell you how much I agree with this statement!

Building fund's are huge red flag for me anyway!

:iagree: I wrote that (to leave) and then erased thinking maybe I was too harsh - but that is EXACTLY what I would do.

Here's another issue: What if your church changes direction spiritually -- or you change direction spiritually -- and you stop attending? Your pastor could read a trendy book, get some "ideas," and suddenly your church could go off its original course. Or you could decide to go Reformed, or Orthodox, or something completely different from where you are now.

Your money, that you gave with so much sacrificial love, could end up in a different place from you and your family. I've seen it happen numerous times. You need to consider how you would feel in this circumstance.

:iagree:This is exactly what happened to us and we never saw it coming. So frustrating.

But above all, I want to echo what hillfarm said. In our pre-marital counseling, the pastor said that if you can't agree on a course of action, you wait and pray until you do agree (even if it means you miss the opportunity one of you wants to pursue). Whenever we have ignored that advice, we have regretted it.

Don't forget that right before the verses on "the husband being the head of the family" Are the verses about "submitting to each other."

Funny how many people forget this! That said, I would never agree to sacrificial giving for a church building. To help humans, yes, but not for a building. Thankfully, my husband and I are on the same wavelength when it comes to things like this.

You should do what's right for your family, but personally I think it's awfully selfish to be asking families to give to a building fund in an economy like this. There are probably people without jobs who will feel led to give money they can't afford. It's more than "sacrificial" when you (general) give money to a building fund instead of feeding your family or paying your own mortgage.

We broke with our church when they decided they "needed" a $1,000,000 new sanctuary. Sorry, but no one needs a $1,000,000 house, including God. :glare:

:iagree::iagree: What is the purpose of building a new building at this point? Unless the church has physically outgrown the space I find it a luxury. Did xyz church down the street remodel? I would prayerfully and thoughtfully examine the pastor's motive for undertaking such a project at this time. Does your church have the management skills to undertake such a project without laying the authority of it in one man's hands?

Is it to help build church morale? Time spent serving the community would be better.

Personally I'd rather attend a church in a run down building that was providing service out in the community, than one that was built just to keep up with the Jonses and had no money left to help others.

Um... this is NOT going to be popular...

What is going on in DHs life right now?

People don't just come home and say "Hey honey! I've decided to give all of our life's savings to _____ !"

It's usually a red flag for something else in their life.

asta

I would trust that if you are giving God back some of His money sacrificially to build His house, that He will provide for you if you have a need. :001_smile:

I try to think of how God is trying to teach me in any situation. Maybe He wants you to get over your concern about money and trust in dh and Him. :grouphug:

A building where people gather is not God's house.

The people, Christians, are the church. Not a building. A Christian's body is 'a temple of the Holy Spirit' (I Cor. 6:19). Not a building made of stone.

My dh and I are very unlikely to ever donate money to build a building in the United States that is used for Christians to gather and fellowship in. We believe, as the early church of the New Testament did, that we can meet in our homes.

Just my $0.02.

Personally, I would not support that decision and I would let my husband know it loud and clear. It is irresponsible if you ask me....on both the part of your husband and the church. It wouldn't be happening as long as there was breath in my body.

Edited by RoughCollie

The people, Christians, are the church. Not a building. A Christian's body is 'a temple of the Holy Spirit' (I Cor. 6:19). Not a building made of stone.

My dh and I are very unlikely to ever donate money to build a building in the United States that is used for Christians to gather and fellowship in. We believe, as the early church of the New Testament did, that we can meet in our homes.

Just my $0.02.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

Just my $0.02.

You are entitled to your opinion, and I to mine. A builing that feeds, clothes, and draws the community is a place where God dwells, imo. Sure, it wouldn't be a Church without Christians, but they need someplace to gather.

We know absolutely nothing about OP's church, but it's funny that everyone assumes it is a money-grubbing, do-nothing-for-the-poor type place, builindg a big fancy mansion. :confused: Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. I just assume that OP's dh, who knows the situation like we don't, probably has some wits and can tell whether the project is sound or not.

Edited by angela in ohio

Homemaker, I'm not sure if anyone else posted this, but here's a thought... In the parable of the three servants who're given money by their master, the one that hides the money and only gives back what was given, he loses what he has and then some. If your dh is really feeling moved that this is what you two should do, then I would worry (and I'm the money worrier here too) that I was trying to hide my money away instead of trusting in God and giving how I should be giving.

I don't blame you for not wanting to do this, I totally understand. I do worry, though, that when I react like this, I'm being the servant in that parable.

Don't forget the couple that was struck down when they said they gave their all, but they'd hidden some away... I know it's not a popular idea, but it seems, imo, that these things are clear.

Edited by lionfamily1999

Just my $0.02.

:iagree::iagree::iagree: 1,000 times, I agree!!! :)

I'm not asying what to do or if giving to your church is the right move, There is a dvd series we did in our church in January called "The Blessed Life" He has a book as well.

How the Bible tells to give the first fruits and many people tithe the last of their paycheck. The first lamb REDEEMS the rest. The first of your paycheck redeems the rest, God asks for the first, then blesses the rest. It totally changed how I felt about tithing.

He also went on to talk about giving gifts to God and I was in the nursury that week--never got around to watching the DVD. (we can barely tithe). I suggest you get the book and find out what God has to say in his word, and what he says to you.

Lara