Menu

S/O: What do you call the thing you put your groceries in?

What do you call the vehicle you put your groceries (or dc) in at the store?  

1. 1. What do you call the vehicle you put your groceries (or dc) in at the store?

• Shopping cart
    • Buggy
    • Wagon
    • Other. Please do share. Inquring minds want to know.

It's a shopping cart to me, because most of my adult life was spent in California. I did not even know until I began playing on the Internet that my fellow Southerners called it a buggy.

A friend who's from Mass calls it a wagon.

We say cart or shopping cart as well. A funny shopping cart story: a good friend of mine lives currently in Australia. He just released his first CD, named The Shopping Cart EP, and was joking that he might need to rename the CD The Shopping Trolley EP for his Aussie friends, so they would know of what he was speaking. ;)

Shopping cart. However, most people here call it a wagon.

It's a shopping cart... I've never heard anyone call it a wagon.

I live in Hawaii, everyone from here calls it a wagon.

I'm originally from Oklahoma. I knew people who called it a cart and people who called it a buggy.

When I lived in California it was cart.

In Europe, if a sign was in English, it was usually trolley (probably because that's what they call it in the UK).

In Virginia and NC it was a buggy for most people.

Cart. Though everyone else here says buggy. It is just one of those southern sayings that I can't adapt to, lol.

I can't get used to it either. We have a local grocery called Market Basket. I've heard a cart being referred to as a basket, but the nickname for the store is Market Bucket, which is not what I call a cart. :confused: I don't use a buggy either, I use a cart, even if I'm at "The Bucket".

When I moved to NC I had NO IDEA what the person was talking about the first time someone asked me if she could have my buggy at the grocery store.

Dawn

Me, too! :) I thought buggies were those old-fashioned things you wheeled babies around in. After 17 years here I find myself telling the kids to go "grab me a buggy" when we're walking into the store... Or should I say as we're "fixin' to" walk into the store? :001_smile:

We say cart or shopping cart as well. A funny shopping cart story: a good friend of mine lives currently in Australia. He just released his first CD, named The Shopping Cart EP, and was joking that he might need to rename the CD The Shopping Trolley EP for his Aussie friends, so they would know of what he was speaking. ;)

Ha. We're not too bad at translating from your dialect ;) but yeah, it's called a trolley here.

:)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

I have lived in the South all my life, and have to say it is a buggy! I've never heard it called anything else down here. If someone asked me for my "shopping cart" I would think they were trying to be uppity. :001_smile:

When I moved to NC I had NO IDEA what the person was talking about the first time someone asked me if she could have my buggy at the grocery store.

Dawn

I had that same experience when we moved to Louisiana. They lady just kept repeating herself, and finally pointed. It didn't help that it took me a good 6 months before I could fully catch their accents.

I call it a cart or sometimes basket.

Ohdear! When I moved here I had never heard someone call a bag a "sack". It makes me blanch every single time I hear it. I think "ballsack" every time. ewww.

:confused: I guess I've heard the word sack in many, many other contexts. This would not occur to me. ;)

This is a shopping cart. (This is Texas.)

When we moved to Alabama, I learned some "foreign" words. The first time that I went to a grocery store, I picked up my sack of groceries to leave, and the cashier asked me whether I wanted to take my "buggy". I reasoned that she could not be referring to garden pests ("buggy"), so my only other choice was, with startled perplexity, to inform her that I did not have any children.

Ha. We're not to bad at translating from your dialect ;) but yeah, it's called a trolley here.

:)

Rosie

:lol: I will call it shopping trolley from now on. I like it better than shopping cart.

Let the rest of the Californians wonder what I am talking about.

When I was a kid, I only heard them spoken of as "baskets". I still use that term. I hear more and more people calling them "carts" now, but still mostly "baskets". Maybe it's another one of those southern things. :D

Hmmm...I think I might have heard it referred to as a basket (SE Virginia, NE NC--Outer Banks). But--true story--I only remember going to the grocery store 2 or 3 times in my pre-adult life, so I couldn't really tell you what my grandparents called those things.

Ohdear! When I moved here I had never heard someone call a bag a "sack". It makes me blanch every single time I hear it. I think "ballsack" every time. ewww.

Oh my gosh, Cyndi.:lol:

I voted "cart" but I call it a basket equally. I usually "grab a basket" on the way in.

A lady with a lovely British accent bumped into me the other day at the grocery store. She said, "Oh, pardon me. I'm not used to the large trolleys you have here in America."

So I have been calling them trolleys ever since. (I do hope she was calling her shopping cart a trolley and not referring to the size of my backside. :D)

It's interesting that in the last few "what do you call..." threads, the Aussies and the Brits use the same word.

In NZ as in Australia, it's a trolley. BUT the NZ trolleys are a far superior beast to the Aussie ones, which you need very strong stomach muscles to steer due to them having a mind of their own. Take Note Aussies: A proper shopping trolley has fixed wheels at the back, and swivelling wheels at the front, they can be steered easily and don't carreen into shelves of their own accord.

Guest Cindie2dds
Those of you who call it a basket: Are you talking about the big rolling things? - or the small plastic things with handles?

The big rolling things. :blushing: