Menu

What would you have named the iPad if asked for your opinion?

Lots of folks think the name iPad has some humorous connotations.;) What name would you have suggested if the execs at Apple had asked you?

I think the name makes perfect sense. The "other" meaning never entered my mind until last night, when I saw that Mad TV sketch on You Tube. That was too funny! But, I still like the name.

Lots of folks think the name iPad has some humorous connotations.;) What name would you have suggested if the execs at Apple had asked you?

I would have named it the "iGotyoutospendaridiculousamountofmoneyonaninferiorproductyoudidn'tneedanywayhahaha"

... because although it may be kind of a long name, at least it's an accurate one.

I read that they considered iSlate, which I would have liked much better.

:iagree:

They trademarked that name, bought domains, even set up a company named Slate Computing (or something like that). I assume they must have done that with several possible names when they were trying to choose one. I definitely prefer the name iSlate to iPad!

Jackie

I would have named it the "iGotyoutospendaridiculousamountofmoneyonaninferiorproductyoudidn'tneedanywayhahaha"

... because although it may be kind of a long name, at least it's an accurate one.

:lol::lol: I love you! Seriously, that is likely accurately.

(BTW, I loooove you "Lick a Witch" siggy, even though I am a somewhat, kinda Jesus-y person.)

How about "iCan'tbelieveTHISiswhatwehavebeenwaitingfor" ?

No kidding. After all the hype, it's like being promised the greatest meal you've eaten... and then being served a can of spaghetti-Os. Still in the can.

No kidding. After all the hype, it's like being promised the greatest meal you've eaten... and then being served a can of spaghetti-Os. Still in the can.

Funny, I somehow missed all the hype of this product. :001_huh: I own a mac, I was a member of macrumors for years and there has always been the *mac tablet!!* rumors but I didn't even know there was a tablet actually in the works! :eek:

So for me, once I heard that Apple had released iPad (terrible name!) I thought it looked pretty cool. But I had no expectations. ;) I logged into MR and saw exactly what I would expect to see after a product announcement from Steve, people complaining about it. Some things never change! :D

I think the name makes perfect sense. The "other" meaning never entered my mind until last night, when I saw that Mad TV sketch on You Tube. That was too funny! But, I still like the name.

But I'm a guy...

Here's a thought: Perhaps you have heard the saying that "even bad press is good marketing." I can't help putting together my belief that one of the major target markets for the iPad is women with the HUGE amount of discussion the name has generated AMONG WOMEN. Considering we are talking about Apple computer here, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that perhaps they carefully considered that this would happen in the press and decided that this type of controversy was EXACTLY what they wanted in order to get this product noticed by their largest target market.

FWIW, I thought iPod was a stupid name... :tongue_smilie:

Edited by RegGuheert

FWIW, I thought iPod was a stupid name... :tongue_smilie:

And I remember when the macrumors crowd thought the iPod would flop! :tongue_smilie:

Then again, when what a disappointment the iPhone was because ... <insert long lists of why it didn't live up to the hype>

About the time the iPhone was introduced, I found this forum and I already had a computer (plus didn't need trouble shooting help anymore) and an iPod, so I stopped following the rumors and chatter about Apple.

I am surprised at how little I have heard about the iPad since I stopped visiting tech sites like Wired, Digg, MR, and blogs like Sarah Lane, locker gnome etc.

NPR, NYT, CNN,HuffPo, occasionally FN, all had precious little on Apple products, except during a major announcement like the iPad etc.

I don't know what name they should use, but is the itampon that far behind?

I'm a bit grumpy about this! Seriously, it makes adult women seem like 6th grade boys.

Have you never used a legal pad? A notepad? Put a pad down on a table to keep it from scratching? Seen the pad on a dogs feet? Padded softly into a child's room? Heard of a company that padded their figures?

Anyway...I'm a bit shocked by the ridiculousness of it all. Giggle and move on! Actually..grow up!

Done with my PMS rant:lol:

:iagree: I heard that too. I like ISlate much better.

When I hear IPad the vision that comes to my mind is sanitary napkins. As in "I need a pad." They obviously did not poll ME. Can't buy one now. Nope. Now, if it was called ISlate

So, you won't use a notepad? Or a pad of paper? Really?????:confused::confused::confused:

I would have anticipated iTablet.

Either way, I won't be buying it. Which SUCKS, because I actually am in the market for something just like this (I need something small and laptop-ish), and I was hoping this would work for me. But without the ability to multi-task and without flash support, it would pretty much be a brick for me. It's an awesome concept, but I REALLY think they should have waited to release it until they had a more capable unit. The name won't stop me from buying it at all, but the fact that it's a lousy product will. Cool, but useless for my purposes.

But I'm a guy...

Here's a thought: Perhaps you have heard the saying that "even bad press is good marketing." I can't help putting together my belief that one of the major target markets for the iPad is women with the HUGE amount of discussion the name has generated AMONG WOMEN. Considering we are talking about Apple computer here, I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that perhaps they carefully considered that this would happen in the press and decided that this type of controversy was EXACTLY what they wanted in order to get this product noticed by their largest target market.

My thoughts exactly, and I'm NOT a guy! I'm guessing there was some marketing psychologist on a committee somewhere that thought this would be a great idea.

I like iTab or iNote... but they didn't ask me either!:tongue_smilie:

-Robin

So, you won't use a notepad? Or a pad of paper? Really?????:confused::confused::confused:

Sorry you didn't think of the same thing I did when I heard the name. Just sharing what I thought.

And no, when I hear notepad I hear the word NOTE first and puts my mind in a whole different frame of mind. And no, I do not refer to pads of paper.

And evidently I'm not the only one to think this.

Apple's 'iPad' points to dearth of women in IT'

I suspect a room full of female computer engineers would not have named Apple's new cyber tablet the 'iPad.'

This naming faux pas is a perfect example of why we need more women IT professionals in this world. Apple wants women to buy these gizmos but is anyone really thinking about us gals?

"It's all a bunch of guys in a room going 'We'll go with whatever we say. No one will argue with us,'" said Richard Laermer, author of "Punk Marketing".

Seems like we need more women in that room.

AND

Maybe we should think twice about buying products with idiotic names like iPad. I can just hear the jokes if a woman is using the thing too much: "She's on the rag again."

I suppose if you think "wee" instead of "we". Since you can make a "Mii", ("me"), I think of "Wii" as in "we".

Not when the name was revealed months before any of us knew about Miis. Then it was just Wii. And a swinging handle thing. Just TACKY. lol. Truly, one of the worst product names ever, lol. (And yes, we have one.)

Am I the only one who, upon seeing the product and hearing the name, went, "OMG, they've gone and actually invented a Star Trek gadget?" The flat, all-screen lightweight computers trotted around on TNG and later series was called a padd or a datapadd.

Am I the only one who, upon seeing the product and hearing the name, went, "OMG, they've gone and actually invented a Star Trek gadget?" The flat, all-screen lightweight computers trotted around on TNG and later series was called a padd or a datapadd.

No you are not!! Dh and I flipped the tv on, saw the announcement guru guy and instantly looked at each other and said, "Resistance is futile!" and "Quick get a nametag so we're not killed off!".

This thread is hilarious!

I didn't, but probably because I already have the Tricorder App on my Android phone. That thing is amazing! It makes the same noises and it ACTUALLY WORKS! It's incredible what a cell phone can measure these days!