Menu

Do you have your Christmas tree up?

Do you have your Christmas tree up?  

1. 1. Do you have your Christmas tree up?

• Yes, Christmas tree is up!
    • No, our tree is not up!
    • Other

Guest Alte Veste Academy

We always put ours up the day after Thanksgiving. It's a cozy, wonderful day of decorating the house for Christmas, with the first (approved :D) playing of Christmas music. We follow up with the first Christmas movie for family movie night.

Where is the "heck, no!" response? I wait until Christmas Eve, if I can, and then we leave it up for the 12 days and burn branches on 12th night. Our lives are hectic during December, and the clutter of a tree in our small house just stresses me out no end. You kids with trees up impress me! That's organization!

Our tree went up on Friday. Christmas is my husband's favorite holiday and it's all I can do to keep him from putting it up before Thanksgiving. The tree is up and decorated, the stockings are hung and all of our other decorations are out - he really loves Christmas!

We put ours up this past weekend!!! Our 10yo is responsible for watering it and he's doing a good job, so far.... :glare:

Christmas shopping is finished, too, and everything is wrapped. Still have to mail what's going out of town and write my Christmas cards.

Then we start baking!! :D

Yes, yes, yes, yes...We've had four up since Thanksgiving and the yard lights are out and on too. (Most of our neighbors have theirs up and on here because if we wait too long the weather will horrible for decorating...Think...snow...icey...freezing...windy...make your teeth ache cold.)

It's up as of last night. It's a fake fiber optic one that my DH had before we got married. It looks okay though. DSD has been asking about ornaments and there's a problem with that. DH and I talked about that and we're pretty sure they all got thrown away when we moved. Even the one from DSD's first Christmas. And all the ones that DH's grandmother made. Ugh!

We put ours up this past weekend!!! Our 10yo is responsible for watering it and he's doing a good job, so far.... :glare:

Christmas shopping is finished, too, and everything is wrapped. Still have to mail what's going out of town and write my Christmas cards.

Then we start baking!! :D

I am so envious that you can wrap EVERYTHING! LOL If my kids see their gifts under the tree before December 24th, the incessant whining and begging to open a present begins almost immediately and lasts until Christmas day! :glare:

Every year our kids put the tree up. At some point when dh and I are not home they sneak it downstairs and hide it in a closet. Then at midnight sometime before Thanksgiving they all get up, put it together and decorate it. They used to call themselves the Secret Tree Society but this year I hear it's been renamed "The Grinch Project", I guess I'm the Grinch who hates to put the tree up.

We've always started decorating the weekend after Thanksgiving and finished by the following weekend. But since out 19 yo dd went to college last year we now HAVE TO put the tree up before that weekend is out when she is home. Otherwise she would miss out on the decorating. We would have to wait til she comes home for Christmas break, and we like to enjoy it for as long as possible :001_smile: It makes for a hectic weekend, but then it's done and we can enjoy!!

Mary

We put ours up at the beginning of Advent. In our town we have several street that have different themes and most of the people who live on them decorate soon after Thanksgiving. We live on Church Lane. One year a man made little 3' high churches for everyone in a 3 block range and everyone puts it out on their front lawn when decorating. Throughout the Advent season we have limos, tour buses and family vehicles driving by at night to see all the decorations. There's about a dozen Lanes here in town that are toured.

Nope...Sort of.

We have a fake 5 foot white tree that we put up several days ago. It's what we're going to use for stockings since we have no fireplace. The real tree will be coming this weekend I think. It's a 12 footer the husband has had his eye on. He'll have to chop it down and drag it home.

I am so envious that you can wrap EVERYTHING! LOL If my kids see their gifts under the tree before December 24th, the incessant whining and begging to open a present begins almost immediately and lasts until Christmas day! :glare:

I'll tell you my secret!!!

Several years ago, I had my husband exchange our regular doorknob with a locking one on the walk-in closet in our master bedroom. I wrap everything and keep all the presents in there until Christmas Eve when the older kids and I carry them downstairs and put them under the tree.

We used to put all the presents out as soon as they were wrapped but our youngest has autism and she doesn't understand that if a present is wrapped, you don't open it!

A few years ago, she found the presents that I had wrapped for the nieces and nephews and unwrapped them all in about five minutes! That's when we put the lock on the closet door.

I keep the key on top of my husband's armoire, which is too high for my 7yo to reach.

Every year our kids put the tree up. At some point when dh and I are not home they sneak it downstairs and hide it in a closet. Then at midnight sometime before Thanksgiving they all get up, put it together and decorate it. They used to call themselves the Secret Tree Society but this year I hear it's been renamed "The Grinch Project", I guess I'm the Grinch who hates to put the tree up.

That is so funny! I love it. :D

I love it! (I'm also glad this happens at your house and not mine.) :lol:

Nope! Not yet. We get a real tree, and it's too dry here to put it up too early. We like to enjoy Thanksgiving as if it is a completely seperate holiday, not just the kick-off for the Christmas season. I know everyone is different, so no offense to those who put it up early.

I usually decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving, then some time during the following week we go and get our tree and decorate it. I have alot of fall decorations, so it gives me time to clean and get ready to switch everything without feeling too pressured.

Besides, I'm usually tired from all the cooking and eating! LOL We have Thanksgiving at our house, and I usually cook everything. It wears me out. Putting the tree up would do me in completely!

I have to be in the mood to put the tree up. Now I have been in the gift buying mood the past few weeks and am almost done with that. the decorating mood has not hit yet but when it does everything is up in an afternoon. I am still looking at pilgrims, pumpkins and turkeys.

Ours is up. It always goes up sometime during Thanksgiving break. This time it went up on Sunday afternoon since we were out of town visiting relatives until Saturday night. It's not totally decorated yet, but it's getting there. Each of our four children has a box of special ornaments they have received or collected through the years. They each hang their own ornaments and then take them down again after Christmas. Our oldest just turned 18 and he hasn't hung his ornaments yet. They will each have a box of special ornaments to decorate their own Christmas tree someday. My mom started that tradition years ago. She's been gone for almost three years now, but my children have wonderful memories of receiving ornaments from Grandma Jo and going shopping for half-price ornaments after Christmas.:)

No, my Mom made a tradition of not putting the tree up until after my birthday (the 13th) and it's kind of stuck with me. It helps to keep the two occasions separate.

I'm really looking forward to putting up our tree this year though. We didn't have one last year, we were worried about the little one messing with it. This year we are getting a real tree, we've always had an artificial tree in the past.

xmastree.gif

Edited by Dawn in OH
silly typo

I'll tell you my secret!!!

Several years ago, I had my husband exchange our regular doorknob with a locking one on the walk-in closet in our master bedroom. I wrap everything and keep all the presents in there until Christmas Eve when the older kids and I carry them downstairs and put them under the tree.

We used to put all the presents out as soon as they were wrapped but our youngest has autism and she doesn't understand that if a present is wrapped, you don't open it!

A few years ago, she found the presents that I had wrapped for the nieces and nephews and unwrapped them all in about five minutes! That's when we put the lock on the closet door.

I keep the key on top of my husband's armoire, which is too high for my 7yo to reach.

My secret is my mom's spare bedroom! I hide most things there and wrap everything little by little as we visit. I'll sneak in there and wrap a couple here and there. It has a lock that canNOT be picked so I love it! Then about a week or two before Christmas I bring them all home and the older two keep a good eye on them for me. They know my rule well: If any present gets opened before time, it goes back to the store. :tongue_smilie: This will be a tough year with my 20 month old who LOVES opening things.

Mabel lives in the corner of the living room all year around.

Heheheh. Mabel is a mannequin and wears dh's chainmail halberk. We hang the decorations off the chainmail. Not sure when we're going to decorate. Our eldest is only 2 so completely oblivious to all Christmas stuff. She also holds two swords to defend against greed and naughty people who peek at presents.

:)

Rosie

Where is the "heck, no!" response? I wait until Christmas Eve, if I can, and then we leave it up for the 12 days!

:iagree:

We are trying very diligently to embrace the Advent season. This year that means we moved the tree trimming to Christmas Eve. Hopefully it will become a tradition.