Menu

Name ONE surprisingly cheap thing you do ...

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey this is mine too! I normally bake my own, but since I had hand surgery and didn't want to have to mess with raw chicken I bought a WM rotisserie on Sunday. It really irked me to pay that extra dollar for that whole chicken. :tongue_smilie:

If there are chickens left at the deli after 9 PM at my walmart, they're half price.

I troll the neighbors' front yards on monthly Bulk Pickup day. A couple of months ago, I dragged a picnic table out of a neighbor's bulk pickup; it's old, and in need of sanding and painting at the least, but not actually broken and still functional, so it's in my backyard. I also buy DD clothes from garage sales at times, and most of what I wear was either on clearance at WM, a Goodwill find, I made it myself, or I've had it at least 5, sometimes 10 years.

...at a local church twice a year. I usually bring a garbage bag or two of gently used clothes, but I usually come home with a few nice things. Once I took at least 10 Newbury books for Dd. Last year I scored a long, lovely, winter coat that would probably have cost about $400 new. My mom would rather wear very cheap clothes than wear used ones, but I think that clean, good quality used clothes are just great.

You might think that this practice would tend to clutter up my house, but actually, it helps me to let things go because I have learned chances are pretty good that some replacement will come my way at some point.

I have not had my hair cut since before DD was born. But I am not being frugal on that one--I just prefer it long and natural.

On the non-frugal side, I have never sold used curriculum--I prefer to give it away and bless someone else. I also buy extra curriculum on occasion if I think it's much better than something I already have. I do shop for good work clothes in classic ish styles--nice professional jackets and longish skirts.And I buy books like other people buy candy, I think. It's ridiculous, really.

For what?

(Curious, not snarky)

You can reuse cereal liners anywhere you would use a ziploc bag:

-They are kind of waxy for they are great packaging food, (like grapes) for outings.

-They are fairly thick so they are perfect for crushing crackers or cereal for recipes or pounding raw meat, (just put the meat inside and pound away).

-Also the sides are fairly stiff so I cut them down and make to go containers for car rides filled with popcorn, or snack food. You just toss when you get to your destination.

Edited by Ferdie

...at a local church twice a year. I usually bring a garbage bag or two of gently used clothes, but I usually come home with a few nice things. Once I took at least 10 Newbury books for Dd. Last year I scored a long, lovely, winter coat that would probably have cost about $400 new. My mom would rather wear very cheap clothes than wear used ones, but I think that clean, good quality used clothes are just great

My friend was just telling me about hosting one of these at her house. She says it is a lot of fun. She takes clothes for her nieces and nephews as well.

I really don't think anyone would be surprised by my cheap antics anymore!

I cut all my boys' hair, even DH.

Color my own hair, have for years.

Get $13 haircut for me 3 times per year only

Use cloth for clean ups instead of paper or throw away

Buy ALL my boys' clothing and shoes 2nd hand

Buy most of DH's clothes 2nd hand

Buy mine on deep discount (I am hard to fit)

Am happy with a 10 year old computer! It works!

Still have a PS2 for the kids and get $3 games 2nd hand

If there is something I really, really want I scour thrift stores and yard sales and ask friends and find it deeply discounted 2nd hand.

Our furniture is all very good quality, but all 2nd hand at about 1/4 the cost and in like new condition. I know I have to wait quite a while to find exactly what I want and may have to settle for a slightly different color or style, but I get close enough and am thrilled with what I have.

Dawn

We compost our own human waste: we don't have a toilet that flushes, we use a sawdust layering system and then it all goes into the humanure pile.

We don't use paper products: no TP, no feminine napkins or tampons, no paper towels, no napkins. All reusable cloth items.

I think you win! :001_smile:

I also make all my own household cleaners, laundry detergent, dishwashing detergent, etc. I finally found the secret ingredient to use in my dishwasher so that the dishes are not cloudy!

And you're just going to leave us hanging?!? What is it?

I also make all my own household cleaners, laundry detergent, dishwashing detergent, etc. I finally found the secret ingredient to use in my dishwasher so that the dishes are not cloudy!

Yes, please tell - I've been fussing with it for a week now with no luck!

We compost our own human waste: we don't have a toilet that flushes, we use a sawdust layering system and then it all goes into the humanure pile.

I'm jealous! I've read about that, but it doesn't seem too practical for us.

We don't use paper products: no TP, no feminine napkins or tampons, no paper towels, no napkins. All reusable cloth items.
I use fabric sanitary items when I'm at home, but disposables if I'm going to be out all day, or longer. It's not nearly as gross as you think it'll be before you try it :)

I was trying to think of something "surprising" we do, and couldn't. Around here line drying isn't surprising, it's normal. Then I remembered! We're mostly vegans who've gone fridge free. :D

Oh, and I often mention things I want/need to my aunt. She works at the tip (coz she loves other people's junk so much) and has found us a brand new tent, a wooden play stove for dd, a deer skin for hubby to use for re-enactment purposes, a few large cane baskets, some nice fabric, and told me she can find full packets of Derwent pencils for the kids. I admit I wouldn't go to the tip myself, I've become too "ew, icky!" in my old age, but I'm delighted to have whatever she finds! That tent was probably $400 new.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Oh, and I often mention things I want/need to my aunt. She works at the tip (coz she loves other people's junk so much) and has found us a brand new tent, ........ I admit I wouldn't go to the tip myself, I've become too "ew, icky!" in my old age, but I'm delighted to have whatever she finds!

Rosie

What's "the tip"??

Carrie:-)

The dump. Sorry, I forgot ;)

Rosie

LOL, I'm fairly certain the guy at the dump took our old dryer when we dropped off our washer/dryer set. He asked if they worked and we told him them washer was beyond dead, but that the dryer worked. He put it in a different location. :glare:

I'm getting some great tips from this thread. My dh was surprised that I don't wash zip-locks. Maybe I need to start!

I use dryer sheets multiple times. They are good for at 3 dry cycles.

LOL, I'm fairly certain the guy at the dump took our old dryer when we dropped off our washer/dryer set. He asked if they worked and we told him them washer was beyond dead, but that the dryer worked. He put it in a different location. :glare:

Yeah, of course he did. The broken whitegoods get assigned as scrap metal, things that work are put somewhere else and sold to someone who will recondition them. Makes sense, doesn't it? It's better than leaving it lying around to rust, yes? My aunt has given me four sewing machines to pass on to the students in our re-enactment group. There's no reason at all why they should have made it to the tip, but op shops (thrift shops) aren't allowed to take electrical goods anymore, so that's where they end up.

Rosie

ok what is your recipe for dishwashing detergent?

Just got back from running around and saw this question. Here it is:

1/2 cup Borax

1/2 cup Washing Soda

1/4 cup Kosher Salt

1/4 cup Citric Acid (the secret ingredient!)

Put it in a 32 ounce container and shake well. Use 1 tablespoon per dishwasher load.

I usually double the recipe. I found citric acid online at www.dudadiesel.com

The citric acid keeps your dishes from being cloudy. I've heard you can use Kool-aid lemonade instead, but haven't tried that.

Just got back from running around and saw this question. Here it is:

1/2 cup Borax

1/2 cup Washing Soda

1/4 cup Kosher Salt

1/4 cup Citric Acid (the secret ingredient!)

Put it in a 32 ounce container and shake well. Use 1 tablespoon per dishwasher load.

I usually double the recipe. I found citric acid online at www.dudadiesel.com

The citric acid keeps your dishes from being cloudy. I've heard you can use Kool-aid lemonade instead, but haven't tried that.

What is washing soda?

I use my used dryer sheets as dust rags. They actually make the surface repel dust so I can go longer between dusting the house. :)

This made me giggle, because I never actually dust. If I did, though, I'd use a rag. We use very few disposable cleaning goods around here; the occasional Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (for what a wet cloth and Simple Green or baking soda and vinegar won't remove) is about it.

I have a dream of moving back to TX, buying land, and living in a yurt, with a composting toilet, solar/wind power, and line dried clothes...

But I up and married a city boy, so it's not likely to happen any time soon. :tongue_smilie:

Groom our own dogs. (Though I don't do as often as I should).

Our local fruit stand has a "opportunity corner" in the back. Most things are either bruised or starting to get soft. Each bag is one dollar. I found some really good non-bruised fruit once - I asked why they got the special price and found out that they were not the "standard" size. They smile when they see me come and tell me what are good deals back on the dollar shelf.

When I haven't had quite enough coffee (like this morning) I'll sometimes re-fill the French Press with another round of water (re-using the old grounds).

I'm still back here with this quote. I'm speechless.

I do save my left over brewed coffee to drink iced later. :)

I launder swimming diapers 2 or 3 times, and reuse dryer sheets. I buy almost all my kids clothes, toys, and books second-hand. I hesitate considerably buying anything over $15 or so. I buy virtually nothing for myself unless I am in desperate NEED. Yet I'll lay down $30 for a meal at a restaurant, no problem! Go figure.

I just have to ask. Why is it surprising that so many ppl shop at thrift stores or garage sales for clothes? I buy *most* of our clothing from thrift stores or garage sales. The only thing I don't buy from there are underware, bras, socks and pants for me (only because I have a really hard time finding ones that fit nicely). Just curious why it would be surprising to other's?

I launder swimming diapers 2 or 3 times, and reuse dryer sheets. I buy almost all my kids clothes, toys, and books second-hand. I hesitate considerably buying anything over $15 or so. I buy virtually nothing for myself unless I am in desperate NEED. Yet I'll lay down $30 for a meal at a restaurant, no problem! Go figure.

We are twins.

I tear cereal boxes on one side, turn wrong-side out, and use as mailing envelopes for books on www.paperbackswap.com. I just tape them shut with packing tape.

Lately, I've had enough envelopes from others, but when I start to run low, I save them instead of recycling them.

I wash my ziploc bags and hang from my window curtain to dry.

I compost. I've recently added paper towels and napkins to the pile. I also shred anything with my name on it and add to our compost pile.

I save cereal crumbs in a jar to add to muffins and sweet breads.

I make memo pads with scratch paper.

I pay all of my bills on time.

I reuse styrofoam cups and straws from fast food resturaunt. I just run them through the dishwasher.

We save any plastic containers with lids that comes as food packaging, cool whip bowls, lunch meat and cheese containers, etc.

I reuse both plastic and paper shopping bags.

I almost always take a drink with me in the car so that I don't have to buy one when I am out and about.

I'm still back here with this quote. I'm speechless.

If it helps my wife feels the same way you do.

Once, catching me re-using grounds, she gave me a look of absolute disdain, and asked me: "What's next, you gonna start picking up used cigarette butts?"

I don't even smoke :D

Bill

I made my own bows for gifts last Christmas from old magazines using this website: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=247280.0

I save all the Christmas cards I receive each year. The next year (or 2 years later so no one gets their card back) I will cut the fronts off and send as Christmas postcards instead of buying new cards. The others I will cut and use as gift tags. The sayings inside often make great gift tags. Sometimes if there is enough space around the sayings clean, I will let my kids decorate them with stickers and use it as a postcard as well. Family loves the ones the kids make! The post cards are cheaper to send than cards in envelopes as well. Another friend makes new cards from her old ones by buying card stock or using her left over scrapbooking papers and gluing the front of an old card on front. Inside she writes her own wishes and personal letter.

I love the bows! My husbands gaming magazines are no longer safe! :D I used to cut the cards, but haven't done that in years. You can make great thank you cards as well with them. In fact, I think I'll do that for our Christmas thank you's this year!

op shops (thrift shops) aren't allowed to take electrical goods anymore, so that's where they end up.

! Wow. Not here. Ours do, but most stopped taking TVs when the government made the transition to digital TV and a lot of people "upgraded" to flat panel, leaving too many TVs to be dealt with. I see old sewing machines here in thrift shops all the time -- they're either a great deal, or a total rip off! Ha.

I definitely agree that taking snacks with me saves lots of time, money, and frustration/hunger.

Thanks for the info on cereal bag liners. I had no idea!

I just have to ask. Why is it surprising that so many ppl shop at thrift stores or garage sales for clothes? I buy *most* of our clothing from thrift stores or garage sales. The only thing I don't buy from there are underware, bras, socks and pants for me (only because I have a really hard time finding ones that fit nicely). Just curious why it would be surprising to other's?

It's only if the people who know you would be surprised. Some years ago in college, there was a girl who reused to buy any clothing that was on-sale. The reason? If it's on sale, that means that someone's hands had touched it. She only wanted clothes that no one had touched. I was surprised.

I have been known to dumpster dive. Amazing what good thigs you can find there!

Recently I went to a yard sale and the lady had a huge mound of free clothing. I asked about it and she said no one would take it because no one wanted to dig thru it. It was clothes she didn't have time to sort and price. I took it all with her encouragement-filled up the back of my small SUV, threw out the bad or cut them in to rags, saved the buttons off them as well, washed the ones that had hope. What fit my family I kept. The other clothes that looked almost new but won't work for us I have now tagged for the upcoming consignment sale and I hope to make a good amount of money from it. Stuff that I don't think will sell due to small stains has been donated to our local Goodwill.

I save all the jars that mayo, spaghetti sauce, peanut butter, and so on come in. I keep my pastas, dry beans, screws, aand whatever else needs a home in them.

I freeze all veggie leftovers in a butter tub since my family doesn't eat leftovers well and we also seem to have 3 green beans left a the bottom of the bowl each time we eat. Any small meat scraps I also freeze in separate containers according to type (pork, beef, chicken). When the veggie tub is full, I make a vegetable soup for a meal and add one of the meats and water as necessary. One small slice of leftover roast can flavor soup wonderfully!

I found a great roomy purse with lots of pockets at a consignment store for just $3. It was colorful and washable so I used it for a diaper bag instead of a purse. I can't tell you how many people stopped me and asked where they could buy a diaper bag just like it!

I use the backs of paper to print on. My son laughs about doing his homework on the back of a letter soliciting our business from the local cemetary.

I made my own bows for gifts last Christmas from old magazines using this website: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=247280.0

I save all the Christmas cards I receive each year. The next year (or 2 years later so no one gets their card back) I will cut the fronts off and send as Christmas postcards instead of buying new cards. The others I will cut and use as gift tags. The sayings inside often make great gift tags. Sometimes if there is enough space around the sayings clean, I will let my kids decorate them with stickers and use it as a postcard as well. Family loves the ones the kids make! The post cards are cheaper to send than cards in envelopes as well. Another friend makes new cards from her old ones by buying card stock or using her left over scrapbooking papers and gluing the front of an old card on front. Inside she writes her own wishes and personal letter.

My son wanted to give gifts to all the kids at church one year so we made the Christmas Crackers (all kinds of free patterns online) out of old tp tubes. He covered them with scraps of wrapping paper and filled them with stickers and cheap candy. They were a big hit and I only spent $4 on everything.

We've made placemats for prisoners' Christams dinners using old cards.