Menu

How Crunchy are You?

120 – 140 Super Nutty, Ultra-Crunchy Granola Earth Mama

Either the quiz scoring or my math was wonky. I got more than 140, but I usually score really high on those. (I don't think I'm that crunchy. :tongue_smilie:)

Yeah, I think that's because it isn't clear if you get point for each home birth or not? :tongue_smilie:

Yeah, I think that's because it isn't clear if you get point for each home birth or not? :tongue_smilie:

I averaged mine out - eg I have had two home births with a midwife and one freebirth, so I scored it between the two items.

Edited by Hotdrink

Is this from personal experience? Because I know lots of mothers who say their ids only get rashes when in sposies.

We've definitely had much less rash with cloth.That's not to say that we NEVER have a rash while using cloth, like some cloth-using parents can claim, but the difference is significant.

We've also saved SO much money, even taking into account washing/drying. I think we saw a $5/monthly increase in water usage and such a small increase in electricity that it wasn't worth noting! We bought $10/piece used one-size diapers and with washing/drying it came out to something like $.09/wear (not counting what we saved on not having killer diaper rash).

90 – 119 Mmm! Love that whole-grain crunch

It's interesting because if I took the test based on my answers when I had my first I would be more like instant oatmeal, maybe sprinkled with granola. However, the more kids I had and the more I found my parenting style I guess the crunchier I got. I don't consider myself crunchy, I just follow Attachment parenting, particularily when they are little.

Super-nut ;) but some of those aren't fair because you get only half the points for planning on doing things that you can't do yet (like "will homeschool"). So I just said "yes" for what I definitely will do, no question, even if I can't now (like tandem BF--if I was preggo, yes, I totally would. But not preggo now).

Is this from personal experience? Because I know lots of mothers who say their kids only get rashes when in sposies.

Depends on how old they/their kids are/were and the disposable brand.

When I was a baby, all the disposables had these horrible perfumes, and babies like me broke out uncontrollably.

Even now, bad disposables are worse that cloth for trapping moisture against the skin.

But disposables have a lower rate of overall diaper rash and UTIs (I was reading a study about infant girl UTIs--not that mine had one, but looking for something else), and those who change their babies more frequently have lower rates of both, too. I'm sure there's a tipping point for every brand, though, since disposables can be left longer than cloth.

That said, my DS wasn't prone to rash, but my daughter's so sensitive I've been sticking her in underwear when I get the chance over the past week. I've been telling her, "Don't pee on the puppy [on her underwear]! Pee in the potty!" And crazily enough, she loves that puppy so much that is mostly works. (She grins and giggles when she sees it and LOVES parading it around!)

Who'd a thunk it? At this rate, she might be potty trained within a couple of months. DS wasn't potty trained until nearly three!

Depends on how old they/their kids are/were and the disposable brand.

When I was a baby, all the disposables had these horrible perfumes, and babies like me broke out uncontrollably.

Even now, bad disposables are worse that cloth for trapping moisture against the skin.

But disposables have a lower rate of overall diaper rash and UTIs (I was reading a study about infant girl UTIs--not that mine had one, but looking for something else), and those who change their babies more frequently have lower rates of both, too. I'm sure there's a tipping point for every brand, though, since disposables can be left longer than cloth.

That said, my DS wasn't prone to rash, but my daughter's so sensitive I've been sticking her in underwear when I get the chance over the past week. I've been telling her, "Don't pee on the puppy [on her underwear]! Pee in the potty!" And crazily enough, she loves that puppy so much that is mostly works. (She grins and giggles when she sees it and LOVES parading it around!)

Who'd a thunk it? At this rate, she might be potty trained within a couple of months. DS wasn't potty trained until nearly three!

I'd be interested in seeing the methodology of that study, who funded it, what types of cloth diapers were used, and what wash routine was used on them. My experience indicates that cloth diapers are superior to disposables when it comes to infant health.

127 Super Nutty, Ultra-Crunchy Granola Earth Mama

That me. I lost points on the homebirth thing- I would have, dh was adamently against it and we compromised on a birthing centre.

I love that term crunchy- it's not used here in Australia, that I know of. Here we are just "alternative", "hippy", or even "feral" in some areas.

Well, if it wasn't for family bed and homeschooling I would have gotten a zero :D so I guess I am pretty mushy!

Me too. I'm sprinkled, but hey I have been moving in the crunchy direction for the last year now. Of course it is hard not to, living in the Crunch capital of the world, Oregon.:lol:

May as well jump in somewhere I know... ;)

I come up as 135 - Super Nutty, Ultra-Crunchy Granola Earth Mama

Math tells me that if I counted for intentions (not limited by money, and not deducting points for having to transfer in birth), I'd come out at 150. I'm not sure how this is possible when the quiz lists highest score at 140, but hey. :D

I'd be interested in seeing the methodology of that study, who funded it, what types of cloth diapers were used, and what wash routine was used on them. My experience indicates that cloth diapers are superior to disposables when it comes to infant health.

:iagree:Smartmama, you must be a kindred spirit, I keep going to post things and finding you already have. (And I LOVE your blog too. Are you feeling stalked yet? :lol:)

I got 20 points...only because I got 10 points for homeschooling. That put me in "Sprinkled with Granola" but honestly, I think I am more "Instant Oatmeal".

(and, a year ago when I had my son in school for a while I would have been jello...)

Edited by chaik76

I got ...

120 – 140 Super Nutty, Ultra-Crunchy Granola Earth Mama :D

Mainly for not circumcising, using cloth diapers, natural family planning, breastfeeding exclusively for 6+ months, co-sleeping, wearing my babies in a sling, child-led weaning, tandem nursing, eating organic foods, using homeopathic remedies, homeschooling, and not vaccinating.

Obviously the highest score isn't 140, because I didn't select the highest scoring answer on several, and I still ended up at 140.

You're very hampered on that test if you aren't willing to sew. I don't want to sew my own diapers or anything else. I also have always disagreed with the proposition that vegetarian automatically equals more crunchy. :P