• Green
    • Pink
    • Red

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, in case your powers of deduction are less than strong....the book (which keeps the author's names hidden [for obvious reasons]) says:

Red.

I'm assuming because red is the only primary colo(u)r, but no explanation is offered.

The same logic can be used to single out pink (and has been used)--that it's the only one not a primary or secondary color. That's why I think you can't use the primary/secondary/other logic for red.

The same logic can be used to single out pink (and has been used)--that it's the only one not a primary or secondary color. That's why I think you can't use the primary/secondary/other logic for red.

I'm with you.

Direct complains to:

Parragon

Queen Street House

4 Queen Street

Bath, BA1 1HE, UK

Bill (who knew it would start to get ugly :tongue_smilie:)

So we we playing with one of those "math puzzle" books over the weekend with the 5 year-old, and we got to a section on the "odd word" out. You know these: lung, liver, kidney, finger, heart. Not too tough.

Then we get to:

Orange, Purple, Green, Pink, Red.

What?

I though about it and came up with two "hypotheticals". Later I discovered an "answer key" and one of the two guesses I had was "correct" (in their estimation) but there was no explanation.

Since I though this was somewhat maddening, I naturally thought I'd share this puzzel with you all :D

Lets se what the hive says.

Bill

Well, I think pink is the odd one out.

Orange, Purple, and Green are secondary colors - made by mixing primary colors.

Red is a primary color.

Pink comes from mixing Red with White.

I think of Parragon as sub-DK, DK wannabees. What are you doing using such books? I would expect better of you.

Laura

It was a gift from my mother-in-law who stayed for the week-end, and I didn't want to hurt her feelings.

Bill (diplomat :tongue_smilie:)

I think the argument for 'orange' is equally valid. Begins and ends in a vowel, is the only one that isn't just a colour, but also a name.

And, despite my not voting for it, green still makes sense as well.

Both 'orange' and 'green' make as much sense as 'red'.

So there :tongue_smilie:

The publishers/author obviously weren't paying doodly squat attention wise when making up this particular puzzle. Either that, or the group of us think too deeply and are brighter than they anticipated when releasing the book :lol:

Well, I picked red, but Not because it was a primary color. I picked red because it was the only one that was a Single color. All the others have 2 colors mixed to form another. It wasn't a primary vs. secondary, just a mixing of 2.

So we we playing with one of those "math puzzle" books over the weekend with the 5 year-old, and we got to a section on the "odd word" out. You know these: lung, liver, kidney, finger, heart. Not too tough.

Then we get to:

Orange, Purple, Green, Pink, Red.

What?

I though about it and came up with two "hypotheticals". Later I discovered an "answer key" and one of the two guesses I had was "correct" (in their estimation) but there was no explanation.

Since I though this was somewhat maddening, I naturally thought I'd share this puzzel with you all :D

Lets se what the hive says.

Bill

Red. It is the only primary colour.

Okay, when do we find out, Bill, why do you always keep us in suspense?????

from page 10:

So, in case your powers of deduction are less than strong....the book (which keeps the author's names hidden [for obvious reasons]) says:

Red.

I'm assuming because red is the only primary colo(u)r, but no explanation is offered.

Parragon Books is located in Bath England in case you want to beat up the publishers with a cricket-bat :D

Bill if we are going to start a letter writing campaign to bring up the accuracy level of these books for the good of mankind we are going to need the publisher's address as well as the name of the book, copyright and page number along with the exact working of the problem.

Then, we can detail the many ways that each possible answer is correct so that they can fix this and no longer corrupt the minds of the young with illogical conclusions. :D

See post 105

Direct complains to:

Parragon

Queen Street House

4 Queen Street

Bath, BA1 1HE, UK

orange. 1) to be weird. But also because it has 6 letters.

red=3

pink=4

green=5

purple=6

we already have 6 so orange is left hanging.

Of course I know you all are right, I just wanted to add a different answer to the mix ;p

Well, according to this theory orange could be the 6 letter word and then purple that is left hanging. :D