Menu

What can I wear to stay warm around the house this winter?

I'm always cold. Always. Except when I'm pregnant. My MIL sent me a thick fleece poncho, color brown, when I was pregnant with #2. I opened it and thought, "How hideous! Besides, I'm not cold." But the following (non-pregnant) winter it became my favorite item of clothing to wear while lounging at home. I even wear it out of the house once in a while, lol. :D

ok, I'm not really serious but the Snuggie came to mind...:lol:

Uh oh. :001_huh: I think I've missed a thread because I don't know what a snuggie is, and when I searched just now, it just shows a brand of long johns and/or a blanket with sleeves.

ETA- Sorry to seem dense, but I can't find a Rice Buddy either. My search engine just brings up a race car driver named Buddy Rice. I don't need him to keep me warm. I have one of them.

Edited by Blessedfamily

Uh oh. :001_huh: I think I've missed a thread because I don't know what a snuggie is, and when I searched just now, it just shows a brand of long johns and/or a blanket with sleeves.

It's a blanket with sleeves and I happen to think it's an excellent idea. :D

I just know those snuggie people are rolling in the dough right now. Such a simple idea that has probably made them millions.

Now why can't I come up with something like that? :glare:

Guest Virginia Dawn

I'm in Virginia, we just turned our heat on and it is set at 67. We have no insulation with wood floors on a crawl space. Socks alone, just won't cut it. I have to wear some kind of shoe also. I have a pair of slippers that look like casual clogs and I wear them all day long. The coldness from the floor really makes my legs and feet ache if I don't wear something besides socks alone.

Keeping my mid-section warm is the second thing I try to do. If I am wearing a long sleeved T, I also wear a fleece vest or a cardigan. If I'm wearing a sweatshirt or pullover sweater, I wear a shortsleeved T underneath.

My problem is when I am cold the only thing I want to do is bake sweets, or hibernate.

Edited by Virginia Dawn

I hate to be cold, especially inside my own house!

Stockings. Not nylons, but more like tights that little girls wear with their dresses. I usually hate having my feet bound up, but wearing stockings makes a world of difference to me.

I just hate to be cold.

I also second the layering, including a close layer of camisole and aforementioned stockings. And I also have a big fuzzy blanket which I will wrap around myself if I need to as I sit through lessons. My kids all have their blankets, too. Fleece is marvelous stuff.

Coffee and hot chocolate as needed.

Did I say I hate to be cold? I really, really hate it....

Edited by AuntieM

I got a very warm fleece shirt/sweater/whatever last year from Lands End. I love it. It keeps me warm. Now I need to do something about my legs but not inside, when we go to soccer for two hours. Regular jeans didn't keep me warm enough in the 49 degree damp weather. I have abnormal temperature regulation and can't tolerate cold or hot.

I swear by these and have many sets that keep me warm from about now until April!! They are silky form fitting thermals that do not bind under clothing and they keep you toasty warm. They can be pricey but I have found them at BJ's , Ross and places like that. I even wear them under my running pants and ski pants as well.

Hope you find a pair and have a warmer winter...this made the difference for me!!

Blessings,

kathi

Make a poncho.

I buy fleece at the fabric store. Buy it long enough to go from shoulder to knees. Then fold it in half short side (it would be were your shoulders are) then fold it long side to mark where your head would be. Cut a two inch triangle. See how it fits over your head and make it larger as needed.

I hate to be cold, especially inside my own house!

I usually hate having my feet bound up, but wearing stockings makes a world of difference to me.

I just hate to be cold.

Did I say I hate to be cold? I really, really hate it....

That's the problem with me, too. Traditionally I never ever wear socks because I don't like the feeling of my feet being bound. Well, it hasn't been a problem until we moved into a two story house. It's not even old, but I can't believe how cold I am downstairs in winter.

I'm going to try to find the suggested items this week.

I swear by these and have many sets that keep me warm from about now until April!! They are silky form fitting thermals that do not bind under clothing and they keep you toasty warm. They can be pricey but I have found them at BJ's , Ross and places like that. I even wear them under my running pants and ski pants as well.

Hope you find a pair and have a warmer winter...this made the difference for me!!

Blessings,

kathi

I second her recommendation. I live in Iowa where it is bone chilling half the year. Cuddle duds are wonderful!!

My husband brought back wool sweaters for the both of us from Ireland last year. I confiscated his! His is a crew neck pull over and is a bit oversized for me since it is a man's. I wear it almost daily over a turtleneck and it keeps me very toasty. My birthday/Christmas list now include another wool sweater, wool shawl, and wool socks.

I have found that I like fleece better than wool! I *always* have a long sleeved shirt underneath my fleece (not sweatshirt but the other fleece) and make sure it fits snugly. I'm warmer if there's a waistband at the bottom of my outer layer but if there isn't, sometimes I'll wear a t-shirt AND a long sleeved snugly fit shirt under my fleece. But if I have to get any work done, I have to strip my layers off.

We usually are toasty warm all the time because we have a wood stove. If you have room for it, I'd recommend a gas fireplace, the portable type. They throw off TONS of heat and are pretty! I was at a B&B once and wanted it on. It was FREEZING outside, but it threw off so much heat we had to open the windows.

Blessings,

kathi

I second her recommendation. I live in Iowa where it is bone chilling half the year. Cuddle duds are wonderful!!

OK. I definately wrote that down and will be checking BJ's and Ross. Definately...., because it's getting later, and I'm even colder than when I started this thread.

I have a cherry pit pac that heats in the microwave. I find it wonderful, the heat lasts well with pits, and it beats turning up the heat which I would otherwise do. I hate to be cold. I think I saw they had something for feet too.

I'm looking up Cuddle duds though. Do they make them for kids? My son inherited my cold nature and I'd love to give him something to keep warm.

And if anyone has suggestions about types of bedding to keep warm, I'd appreciate that too. We normally use a comforter, which has to be replaced. I'd like to replace it with something warmer.

If you are not opposed to down, get a down comforter. Your local Linens N Things or Bed Bath & Beyond will carry them, usually on sale. We got the kids' from one of those places, but we recently got ours at Target. We also each have a regular down blanket on each of the beds. Super toasty warm :-)

ETA to say that you can always buy a duvet cover for a comforter, but you can also sew your own pretty easily, too (which is what I did).

I hate the cold. Hate it.

I have silk long johns and Uggs. They make everything better. Not perfect, but better. Finger-less gloves help as well. Baking is not a bad thing, and I love my fireplace so much my kids say I have pyro tendencies.

My number one suggestion on how to stay warm is to make sure you budget travel to warm places, no matter. I will put up with any stretch of Florida Wal-farts as long as it means warmth. Imo, there is nothing, nothing, sweeter than landing one's bum in Miami after driving yourself to a northern airport in a snow storm. I liken the thrill to having a baby born after traveling through the ring of fire.

Have I mentioned how much I detest winter?

A dickie or scarf always makes me stay warmer. Try not to put down slippers meant for ICY cold on, or your feet shunt away the blood. I've found wool socks and birkies do the best for me. Heavy boots, if I'm not walking, make my feet colder (and sweaty).

Here is a dickie at Amazon. It appears the photographer had no idea how they are worn. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Single-Layer-Tall-Neck-Dickie/dp/B000KAYJVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&qid=1256006223&sr=1-1

Edited by kalanamak

And if anyone has suggestions about types of bedding to keep warm, I'd appreciate that too. We normally use a comforter, which has to be replaced. I'd like to replace it with something warmer.

I really like using a heated mattress pad. I like it much better than a heated blanket.

Flannel sheets...we just put our set on yesterday! I can't believe I only just bought each family member a set of these a couple of yrs ago...we have a wood burning stove and our downstairs is toasty but upstairs is frigid since the heat does not kick on often due to the heat of the stove on the first floor...flannel sheets and cuddle duds....a great pair :)!!!!! I'll be heading over to Ross later this week to add another set of cuddleduds to my wardrobe.

Blessings,

kathi

We stay in a cabin over Christmas/New Years every year. At night the temp can drop into the fifties inside. We stay warm - REALLY warm - layering the following:

flannel sheets

a fleece blanket

a down comforter

a quilt on top of the comforter

I always start off wearing socks & flannel PJs to bed, but get so warm that I sometimes slip them off.

Feather beds are great -- it is a layer of down that you sleep on, and then you can have a layer above you.

Does anyone have favorite slippers to recommend? I live in slippers in the winter and my favorite pairs are on their last legs -- and they were hand-me-downs, so I'm not sure where to do slipper shopping.

Great thread! I need to get myself some good, warm slippers to wear around the house, and I'd love to find a good deal on some Cuddle Duds. I saw some on eBay, but Just My Size has them right now on sale for $17.99 or $19.99, and they're buy one, get one half price:

http://www.jms.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ExecMacro/new_search.d2w/report?searchtext=cuddl+duds&CurParent=&session=2561364&wtqty=3&mn=D

If you're an Ebates member, Just My Size has a 3% rebate, and there are free shipping codes on RetailMeNot (though I haven't tried any to be sure they work at the moment).

I think I'll swing past Marshalls and Costco tomorrow and see what they have too.

flannel-lined jeans, wool socks, wool sweaters, wool slippers. :) If it's really bitter out, add silk long underwear. :D I also use these under skirts with boots instead of tights/stockings, as they are comfier and warmer.

I have to agree with the wool recommendation. For soccer Sat., it was freezing outside, I wore a wool turtleneck, wool cardigan, and a down vest and was very comfortable. Inside I like to wear a long sleeved shirt, fleece vest, and if I'm very cold, I'll put a cardigan on too. Socks and slippers are an absolute must. On those super cold days...anything and everything wool!! Love it!

Plus extra cups of coffee never hurt!:)

I just ordered some more mostly wool socks for my feet - and I LOVE my $20 Lands End down vest I got last year - I wear it around the house and I may look like a sailor show has jumped ship BUT I am WARM!!!!

I might add I am in a drafty 100+ year-old house with wood floors, no rugs (not with all the hairballing cats around here!)

I have a drafty old house. In the winter I wear slippers with socks and, more importantly, I wear light nylon wind resistant pants over my clothes. If I don't wear those, then I wrap a blanket around my waist. I have heard of others who wear contractor's padded overalls. It makes a huge difference if I dress like this.

Just had to chime in to say that I have NO business complaining, but HATE the cold too - and I live in AZ!! Thank God for that!! It gets to be 68 and I am freezing...totally ridiculous, but just hate to be cold.

It was 100 degrees here yesterday or something close, so I won't have to be cold for a little bit longer!

We also keep the heat at like 65 cuz I'm cheap...I've been known to sit and read to the kids in any sun spot in the house I can find. Kind of like a cat!! :D

Soooo sorry to all who live where it is actually cold!!

Do whatever you can to raise the humidity in your home! It really really helps.

I've been freezing for weeks (and the air was clearly very dry) in spite of the whole house humidifier built in to our furnace being set to "winter". Turns out it was also set at 20% :glare: I can't for the life of me imagine why the controls are in two places on that thing, but they are, and that crucial bit of info got missed. Now it's at 50% and it's much much much cozier in here.

I'm finding that I am needing to wear shoes inside all of a sudden. I can't stand slippers though (static!). I have a pair of New Balance tan colored mule type sneakers that are great.

Oh, and anyone remember that ridiculous looking robe Lands' End sold for a couple of years? It had a hood and feet and sort of looked like a penguin suit. I've been dreaming about one lately. Too bad they don't make them anyone. It made that Snuggie look pretty tame. :D

a scarf is my life saver, also my MIL knit me wristlets, not sure if you know what they are but sort of like a mini leg warmer that fits on your wrists, about 3-4 inches long. I wear them out when it's cold under my coat sleeve and under my gloves but leave them on in the house when I am chilly. They keep my arms really warm. I also have a thermos of hot water to make my bottomless cup of hot tea.

You can always change your perspective....go stand on the porch for 15 minutes. When you come back in your downstairs will feel much, much warmer.

:D

Sorry, that's my standard, reflex, snarky answer to my offspring who complain they are living in the frozen tundra of the Arctic circle while inside the living room.

You've gotten great advice. In my house, thick socks and shoes keep my feet warm. I have a good sized lap quilt in rich purples, greens, and sunflower golds I wrap around myself when sitting.

Ten minutes on the exercise bike warms me up all over. Or a hot bath and flannel sheets.

I hate being cold.

...are those double layer hiking socks by Thorlo. They keep your feet from ever getting the least bit clammy by wicking moisture away from them. And they are very well insulating as well.

Wear shoes that are a half size too big so there is room for a cushion of air. No leather soles--those wick water right up onto your feet. Nope, you need running shoes or hiking boots with rubber soles around those warm, warm socks.

I discovered this about 5 years ago. Up until then I had not actually realized that my feet were very cold all the time. Since then I have been much warmer all around.

Torso warmth is the next thing--three layers on the torso is ideal. Check out the quick-dry, wicking layers at REI and get a t-shirt, a long sleeved shirt to layer over it, and a long sleeved fleece shirt to go over that.

Personally, I think heavy jeans are warmer than sweats. Sweats are more cuddly, but they also let ambient air in and out so they don't keep you as warm in drafts. So I think that new, heavy jeans are best for warmth.