Menu

What is your family's favorite homecooked dinner?

Some of the faves around here:

Bratwurst or pork loin, mashed potatoes, cooked carrots.

Grilled fish (tilapia or salmon), green beans, cooked cauliflower.

Taco night.

Sandwich night -- fresh breads from the bakery, sliced meats & cheeses, raw veggies & fruits, Nutella (a staple food, lol), jellies, coffee, milk, etc....

Pasta in pretty much any way, shape, or form.

The kids fave is schnitzel...chicken breast pounded thin, breaded with flour/bread crumbs, lightly fried, served with fresh lemon to squeeze on top.

Served with mashed potatoes, white gravy and a veggie.

Skillet Lasagna!!!

I mix together cooked ground beef w/ chopped green bell peppers, some kind of cooked pasta (radiatore is our fav. right now), cottage cheese, parmesan, a couple beaten eggs and spaghetti sauce in a casserole dish. Top with shredded Mozzerella cheese and pop into oven until warm. I usually make 2 of these at a time and freeze one for later. So easy and soooooo yummy! We never have leftovers!

Um, all of them? "Home cooked" is pretty much all they get and, as I point out frequently, I don't make disgusting things. :D

Everyone is quite fond of black bean burritos, though. I make a huge crock pot of black beans (2 dry lbs at a time) about once a week (sometimes pintos, just to change things up) with a little garlic, cumin, chili powder and salt. Then I make a pile of flour tortillas (because it offends me that they put HFCS in tortillas when there's no sugar to replace in the first place, and organic are ridiculously expensive) and they have burritos. Sometimes, taco salad, etc.

They also love cheese tortellini with pesto (and sometimes tomatoes and fresh mozzarella). I make a signature "Oh Carp! It's 6:00 and I Have No Plans for Dinner" pasta that takes about as long as it takes to boil the noodles: While you're boiling the water for the pasta, melt some butter/olive oil in a skillet, sautee garlic and onions, add herbs as you like. Boil your favorite shape of pasta for 2 minutes less than the minimum time on the package, drain and throw into the skillet. Then add a couple of handfuls of something green (usually spinach, pea shoots, frozen peas, fresh sugar snaps, etc. around here) and pour some milk over it (probably about a cup or so for a pound of pasta) and let it bubble until the whole shebang is thick and the pasta is done, stirring occasionally. It comes out like a creamy, cheesy scampi, but with no cheese. (Of course, you could also sautee some chicken or shrimp in there with the alliums... we're not vegetarian, but we usually eat vegetarian... hmmm. I wonder what that's about? )

Almost everything is or comes with salad here.

My absolute favorite memories as a child were when my grandparents would visit and bring us wonderful things to eat. To this day, palomilla steak (empanizado) with black beans and rice and yuca is one of my all time favorite meals as well as the Cuban sandwiches my granfather used to bring us from Ybor City in Tampa. YUM!! I always loved spagetti with meat sauce and Italian sausage as well and I have grown to love lasagne as well. I never liked all the cheese when I was a kid, but I like it now. :p

What is your family's favorite homecooked dinner?

Not what I made last night, apparently! (at least the kids were o-k with it) I attempted a cross between taquitos and chimichangas. I love El Monterey Cruncheros made with chicken, spinach & corn (surprising, as I don't normally like corn "where it doesn't belong"--in salsa, casseroles, etc...). I looked for recipes online, and ended up improvising, somewhat based on some recipes I found.

Basically, they were chicken, spinach, corn and cheese wrapped in tortillas, with the ends folded in as I rolled them. Fried in oil in a frying pan (maybe 1" of oil in the pan, about halfway up the sides of the chimis).

ETA: I burned my finger and thumb with oil when one of the chimis slipped from the tongs as I was transferring it to a plate. It fell back into the oil and splashed. Ouch! Use tongs with teeth!

Dh doesn't like cooked spinach, so his were made without. He also doesn't like salsa, so I'm the only one who had that (on the side). The girls each ate half of a chimi, and they both used a bit of mild taco sauce with theirs.

I thought they were pretty good. The first batch I made--I was able to fit 4 in the pan--was a bit overdone. They were very filling. I had 2 for lunch today, covered in salsa & cheese, reheated in the microwave.

Edited by gardening momma

Then I make a pile of flour tortillas (because it offends me that they put HFCS in tortillas when there's no sugar to replace in the first place, and organic are ridiculously expensive) and they have burritos.

How do you make your tortillas? I was thinking of trying. I'm trying to shop just once a month (except for milk & bread) to save money (no impulse shopping except that one day). I'm trying to make more from scratch to save money too.

Here's one I thought I'd try.

We would never get consensus here...

DH's favorite meal

My favorite meal - with homemade biscuits and mashed potatoes. I use boneless skinless chicken breasts for this one.

DD 9's favorite meal - Ramen noodles with Chinese sausages

Ds5...hmm he never cleans his plate. He's never met a potato or bread product he didn't like though.

The youngers are too little to express an opinion yet.

How do you make your tortillas? I was thinking of trying. I'm trying to shop just once a month (except for milk & bread) to save money (no impulse shopping except that one day). I'm trying to make more from scratch to save money too.

I use this one. It's just like making biscuit dough. I usually triple or quadruple the recipe and stash some in the fridge and some in the freezer.

I order the majority of our groceries through a UNFI buying club, so we essentially "shop" once a month, too.

Fried Falafel, hummus, flatbread, veggies, olives, and sometimes yogurt sauce. They are always so happy when I make it. And, it's just about the only thing I make that everyone in my family will eat.

Personal pizzas. I make a huge batch of dough in the Kitchen Aid. I let it rise overnight in the fridge. The next day we make all kinds of toppings up and then let them go at it. We usually have pizzas and salads for 3 days.

Some topping ideas: red sauce, pesto, peanut sauce, curry sauce, mashed tofu, pineapple, olives, feta cheese, onions, pepperoncinis, meats, vegetarian meats/sausages, broccoli, asparagus, sliced prebaked potatoes, peppers, salsa, taco meat (we use the premade vegetarian kind), refried beans, really you can do so many toppings. Freeze leftovers or make pasta or green salads.

Here are some of ours:

1.Our Swiss steak version (there seems to be several out there) served over rice.

2. Onion pork chops

3. Minute steak (cube steak which is seasoned and floured and fried) served with gravy and homemade mash. potatoes

4. Chicken Ceasar salad with fresh bread

5. Pizza soup with lots of garlic bread

6. Ranch Chicken Pitas

7. Quick Beef Stroganoff

We do try to have balance with some of these by having a green veggie every night.

If you ask my kids they'd probably choose:

chili and corn bread

rigatini with sausage

country fried steak and mashed potatoes

chicken parmesan with angel hair pasta

roast with garlic mashed potatoes

grilled anything with beans and chips

meat lasagna

ham with blackeye pea salad and corn cassarole

roasted chicked with roasted asparagus

If my dh travels to tucson and picks up tortillas we make fajitas but I have to have the fresh tortillas from Tucson not store bought.

Hmmmm

Dh affectionately calls this dish VN Wraps: herbed shrimp or grilled sate pork skewers wrapped with wetted rice paper filled with rice noodles, Thai basil, cilantro, julienned cucumber, mint, bean sprouts, sweet vinegar julienned carrots, and leaf lettuce. Rolled and dipped in peanut sauce.

Sushi made with a bamboo roller: Seaweed, vinegar rice, smoked salmon or cooked shrimp, cucumber, and avocado, sprinkled with Nori seasonings.

Gyros with minced lamb kabobs and homemade Tzatziki sauce

Arab Kapsa; cardomon and saffron tomato based basmati rice with dried lemon peppered chicken

Mediterranean chicken and rice in the crock pot

Good olĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ Baguette and really, really good cheese with apple or pear slices

Vietnamese caramelized white fish cooked in a clay pot.

And of course a hearty slow cooked pot roast with new potatoes and carrots

oh man I'm hungry.... :drool5:

My family likes:

1) chicken tacos - I cut up boneless skinless chicken breast into small pieces, and season it with taco sesoning. Serve it with tortilla chips/tortillas/taco shells, lettuce, tomato, fat free sour cream, shredded cheese, taco sauce, salsa, and homemade quacamole if I'm feeling accomplished. :001_smile: Since I'm watching my calories, I make a big plate of lettuce and tomato, small amount of shredded cheese, chicken, taco sauce, and fat free sour cream, then I put some tortilla chip crumbs on the top like 'croutons'. That way I get a little bit of the salty crunch from the chips, but more lettuce than anything. I love it! I especially like using the leftover chicken to make my salad for lunch the next day.

2) chicken and dumplings - I use an embarrasingly easy recipe that consists of two cans cream of chicken soup, boneless skinless chicken breast, and (gulp) canned biscuits. I make it in the slow cooker. This is NOT healthy, so I literally make it like once a month at the most. But it's dh's favorite. I serve it with mashed potatoes, corn, a green vegetable, and fruit.

3) Grilled chicken cesar salad - I grill the chicken breast on our countertop grill. I put olive oil, dried rosemary, garlic powder, and salt on the chicken, grill it, then chop it into bites. I toss the chicken with romaine or green/red leaf lettuce, a bit of parmesean cheese, croutons, and some light cesasr dressing. This is my favorite, served with homemade whole wheat bread.

4)Barbecue beef (or chicken) - I use whatever LEAN cut of beef I can find. I stock up while it's on sale, trim off any fat, and freeze it in meal size portions. Then, stick the meat in the crockpot with some bbq sauce. A few tips - you can put the beef in frozen, then just cook it on low for like 8 hours. Drain the 'juices' from the crock pot when the beef is done, shred the beef, then add it back to the crock pot with some fresh bbq sauce. I then usually add a bit of the 'juice' from the crock pot, but not all of it. Lastly, make sure you use a GOOD bbq sauce; that makes ALL the difference. I serve on whole wheat hamburger buns, with a slice of american cheese. If you make it with chicken, it works the same basically. I never really know what to serve this with; some times I make roasted potatoes, but usually I try to get away with fresh fruit and veggie sticks.

5)spaghetti with meat sauce - basically just a can of our favorite spaghetti sauce mixed with some browned ground beef. Serve the meat sauce over whole wheat pasta, and my ds6 is one happy camper. Add some homemade garlic bread, and a salad, and the whole crew is happy. :001_smile:

A few tips (ok, really all the tips I know :D):

I buy the ground beef at the beginning of the month, brown it all, then divide it up into meal sized portions and put it in the freezer. MUCH easier to cook it one time for the month than to cook it each time you need it. I can then use the ground beef for tacos, spaghetti sauce, shepherd's pie, ect.

Clean and cut up fruit and veggies, and they are more likely to get eaten. Seems like 'duh', right? Well, it took me a while to figure it out.

I buy LARGE amounts of boneless skinless chicken breast when it's on sale. Then when I bring it home, I trim it all up (my family is very, VERY particular about no 'gross stuff' in their meat; no fat, gristle, etc. AT ALL). Then I put each breast into a sandwich baggie, then put all the sandwich baggies into gallon sized bags. Then I feeze it. This is one of my most LOATHED chores (gross cutting up yucky chicken pieces!), but it is totally necessary for me. This way, the chicken is ready for whatever I want to use it for. Before I started doing this, I hated, HATED cooking chicken, 'cause each time it was a gross chore. (I know that sounds dumb, but it's true.:D) Anyway, now I can just thaw whatever I need and it's good to go.

I use this one. It's just like making biscuit dough. I usually triple or quadruple the recipe and stash some in the fridge and some in the freezer.

I wrote the recipe down, but have a question. It says to cook the tortillas on a comal, which I see is a flat cast iron pan/griddle. I don't have that, so I figured I'd use either my large electric griddle, or my fairly large 2-burner griddle. It doesn't say that it needs to be greased--probably because the cast iron should be well seasoned enough. Will I need to oil the pan? I'm guessing yes.

I wrote the recipe down, but have a question. It says to cook the tortillas on a comal, which I see is a flat cast iron pan/griddle. I don't have that, so I figured I'd use either my large electric griddle, or my fairly large 2-burner griddle. It doesn't say that it needs to be greased--probably because the cast iron should be well seasoned enough. Will I need to oil the pan? I'm guessing yes.

I use a well seasoned cast iron frying pan. I have also used a Calphalon One (not nonstick) frying pan. I don't oil either one, but you need to get the pan hot (mediumish heat) before you toss the first one in. (When I make pita, I throw them on a hot, plain old cookie sheet and don't grease that, either.) I would think either of your griddles would work fine without oil. There's really enough fat in the dough.

We love chicken enchilada casserole!!

Crumble a bunch of tortilla chips to line the bottom of baking dish

Mix: container sour cream, cream of chicken soup, packet of taco seasoning and any leftover chicken (baked, pulled off bones... sauteed chicken breasts, leftover pieces from grilling) and stir it up and put it over chips.

Layer can (I use larger one) of refried beans over previous mixture.

Top with can of enchilada sauce

Sprinkle with cheese

Bake until bubbly and cheese is melted...

EVERY time I serve this to someone new I hear, "This is great! It makes me think of eating at a restaurant!"

Roast beef with potatoes and carrots; cheap and easy

Roast chicken with mashed potaoes or noodles - I usually cook 2 whole chickens, which usually gives us 2 meals plus enough leftover chicken to make soup for 1 meal.

Meatloaf with mashed or fried potatoes or rice

Beef cubes with gravy served over noodles or rice

Chicken breasts cut into strips sauted in olive oil with garlic and basil, great with a salad

Shrimp scampi when shrimp is on sale, but I make a batch with chicken for the kids because only one of my kids likes shrimp and she's allergic to it.

My families favorite meal is Penne Rustica. I make it only one time a year but it is to die for...yum!

Weekly favorites are:

Taco Soup with all the trimmings..shredded lettuce, tomatoes, olives, grated cheese and sour cream

Cheesy chicken bake with baked potatoes and green beans

Chicken Cordon Bleu - I use the recipe on Allrecipes.com - (chicken cordon bleu II)- it has a solid 5 stars and over 1000 reviews! I've been making it for years. It's a lot of work, but oh so worth it!! I add rice, broccoli and rolls for a complete meal. YUM!!!

I use a well seasoned cast iron frying pan. I have also used a Calphalon One (not nonstick) frying pan. I don't oil either one, but you need to get the pan hot (mediumish heat) before you toss the first one in. (When I make pita, I throw them on a hot, plain old cookie sheet and don't grease that, either.) I would think either of your griddles would work fine without oil. There's really enough fat in the dough.

Thanks. I think I've hijacked the thread...off to start a new one.

A few tips (ok, really all the tips I know :D):

I buy the ground beef at the beginning of the month, brown it all, then divide it up into meal sized portions and put it in the freezer. MUCH easier to cook it one time for the month than to cook it each time you need it. I can then use the ground beef for tacos, spaghetti sauce, shepherd's pie, ect.

Clean and cut up fruit and veggies, and they are more likely to get eaten. Seems like 'duh', right? Well, it took me a while to figure it out.

I buy LARGE amounts of boneless skinless chicken breast when it's on sale. Then when I bring it home, I trim it all up (my family is very, VERY particular about no 'gross stuff' in their meat; no fat, gristle, etc. AT ALL). Then I put each breast into a sandwich baggie, then put all the sandwich baggies into gallon sized bags. Then I feeze it. This is one of my most LOATHED chores (gross cutting up yucky chicken pieces!), but it is totally necessary for me. This way, the chicken is ready for whatever I want to use it for. Before I started doing this, I hated, HATED cooking chicken, 'cause each time it was a gross chore. (I know that sounds dumb, but it's true.:D) Anyway, now I can just thaw whatever I need and it's good to go.

I love those tips! Thanks!

Fried chicken is always a favorite around here. Served with mashed potatoes, some steamed/sauteed veggies, fruit for dessert.

Nachos are another popular meal here. I like them too, because they're pretty easy. Throw on a can of black beans, some frozen corn, chopped red pepper and avocado, and some shredded cheese. Some cherry tomatoes on the side.

(We usually eat pretty healthy, so these are huge treats around here, which makes them all the more loved.)

My kids like chicken curry (it was drizzling tonight, so I didn't feel like grilling) with chopped and diced veggies; sweet and/or yukon gold potatoes, carrots, Swiss chard, eggplant, bell peppers, peas-- pretty much whatever you like). I like this is because it's a one skillet dish.

Saute sliced garlic in olive oil in a large skillet, add skinless chicken pieces/chunks (can use sliced beef instead) and brown. Flip. Brown. Add cup veggie or meat broth, and hard veggies, curry powder, coriander powder, cayenne pepper, can of coconut milk. Heat through. Add softer veggies- eggplant, snow peas, chard, maybe some red bell pepper. Simmer. Add a little flour to thicken if desired. Adjust spices. Sprinkle chopped cilantro or parsley over it all, serve.

I served it with a cucumber/red bell pepper salad, and added a little dollop of plain Greek yogurt on the top of the curry when I plated it. Sprinkle a little more cilantro on top of yogurt-- it looks very pretty. Parsley works just as well if cilantro tastes like soap to some in the family.

In the warmer months, we tend to like things such as fish fillets (either breaded or just sauteed in lemon butter, with perhaps some lemon pepper, etc. on them - I've been using mango chutney lately).

We eat more salads, like the "crunchy salad" that goes by various names (Ramen noodles and nuts toasted; dressing made from the seasoning pack, cider vinegar, soy sauce, etc.; broccoli slaw). I grill some chicken breast strips, dousing them in a little of the dressing as they cook to make it a meal.

I also do a Greek salad with olives and cucumbers, feta, capers, and a good greek salad dressing. As with the other recipe, I coat some chicken breast in some of the dressing while they cook for a yummy flavor.

In colder weather, I make things such as chili, beef stew, pot roast, occasionally a pork roast that I cook with bbq sauce and shred for eating on buns, red beans and rice, gumbo, and things like that. Our crockpot gets a lot of use during the school year!

I also make a traditional spaghetti dinner, and also other types of pastas with various sauces and meats (such as Italian sausage, beef sausage, chicken, etc.) Salads and garlic bread or cheese breads often accompany such things.

I make tacos, usually with black beans and guacomole. Sometimes I make something called a cowboy mini muffin when I make these (use cheddar cheese and mexi-corn, etc.)

I make various Chinese dishes, but not much from scratch, except pepper steak.

These are 4 favs around here

Tortilla soup and tortas

chilaquiles, beans and rice

black bean dipped tortillas and cilantro zucchini soup

chicken pot pie (vegan)

:tongue_smilie:

A vegan chicken pot pie? Do tell more...

I am creating a monthly dinner rotation calendar.

I'm needing some ideas on dinners... what are your favorite home-cooked dishes (any kind - oven, stove, crockpot, grill, etc)

Dh says 2 things: grilled flank steak (I do a marinade for it), and homemade baked macaroni and cheese (with the bacon, celery and peppers in it).

Ds says hands down it's the brined roasted chicken.

Two out of three kids chose chow mein over rice with eggrolls for their birthday dinner. The third chose chicken fajitas with eggrolls. :)

The side dishes for our meals change all the time--unless it's the Chinese meals!

Other meals we all like:

tacos

bean/ground beef enchiladas, spanish rice

chili

mazetti-ground beef casserole with corn and tomato soup, etc.

stuffed shells or lasagna

sweet and sour chicken or ginger chicken or pepper steak with rice/eggrolls

country ribs with BBQ sauce, mashed potatoes, and corn

chicken and dumplings

wild rice soup

baked potato soup

beef barley soup

turkey dinner with all the fixings

turkey tetrazzini, salad

burgers or fish, baked beans, coleslaw, fried potatoes, sliced fresh tomatoes

fish with mac & cheese, green beans

meatloaf, baked potatoes and scalloped corn

ham, scalloped potatoes, cream corn or broccoli salad

ham and potato bake

roast chicken, potatoes and gravy, coleslaw or broccoli slaw

Swedish meatballs, potatoes and gravy, green beans

teriyaki chicken, potato salad, salad

beef stroganoff, salad

beef or pork roast with carrots and potatoes cooked in with the roast, salad

A vegan chicken pot pie? Do tell more...

I do a basic crisco crust, sometimes I'll use Spectrum shortening. The filling is also basic, it's diced potato and carrot, frozen peas, and shredded seitan chicken from Westsoy (brown it a little after shredding it). The gravy is made with flour, margarine (Earth Balance), Silk soymilk, and a vegan chicken broth powder that I get at our local health food store. It's sold in the bulk section, and I've found the same kind in markets out of town. None of the other vegan broth/powder products compare to this one. You can even make a chicken noodle soup with it and it tastes pretty darn good. I don't usually cook american style dinners, so when I do the pot pie I don't worry about making it health foodie.

It's healthy since it uses cottage cheese in place of cream.

The recipe is from my MIL. She served it to house guests the day after our wedding. Isn't it wonderful that our children like a dish with such a unique history and relevance to the beginning of our family?

My two daughters now make it; in fact they have worked together to make it several times this summer.

My kids favorite is Hamburger Pie

I mix hamburger meat and onion and fry it up.

After its fried I add a can of cream of mushroom soup and simmer.

When that all done I layer hamburger mixture, 1 can of french style green beans, then mashed pot. ( i cheat and use the instant kind) then I top it with shredded cheese. Put in the over to melt the cheese and your done. Quick and easy! The kids love it. I have to make it at least once a week.

Doniell

Some great ideas. I want to come to a WTM Forum potluck.

I do a basic crisco crust, sometimes I'll use Spectrum shortening. The filling is also basic, it's diced potato and carrot, frozen peas, and shredded seitan chicken from Westsoy (brown it a little after shredding it). The gravy is made with flour, margarine (Earth Balance), Silk soymilk, and a vegan chicken broth powder that I get at our local health food store. It's sold in the bulk section, and I've found the same kind in markets out of town. None of the other vegan broth/powder products compare to this one. You can even make a chicken noodle soup with it and it tastes pretty darn good. I don't usually cook american style dinners, so when I do the pot pie I don't worry about making it health foodie.

And a special thanks to those who posted recipes. Gotta go now and start cooking.

You guys sound like great cooks!

These are a few dishes my family loves:

Italian Beef Sandwiches Serves: 4

Ingredients:

2 cups water

2 cubes beef bullion

1 tsp Garlic Powder

2 lb Rump Roast

1 tsp salt

2 Jalapenos, sliced in half

1 Ă‚Â½ tsp dried oregano

1 tsp Chili Powder

Directions:

Put all ingredients into crock pot and cook on high for 6-8 hours. Remove from pot and let rest for 10 minutes. Shred meat and add back to juices. Serve on rolls or over mashed potatoes.

Honey Soy Chicken Serves: 4

Ingredients:

1/3 cup honey

Ă‚Â¼ c soy sauce

2 Tbsp ground ginger

Garlic clove

1 Tbsp lemon juice

4 chicken thighs

1 cup cooked white rice

Directions:

Combine honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, lemon juice, and chicken into a plastic bag. Let marinate 2 to 6 hours. Pour into glass baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, turn chicken and bake another 20 minutes. Serve over rice.

Chuck’s Mac and Cheese Serves: 6

Ingredients:

8 ounce elbow macaroni, cooked al dente

Ă‚Â¼ c shredded Parmesan cheese

8 ounce Cheddar cheese, shredded

Splash of milk

12 ounce cottage cheese

Salt and pepper to taste

8 ounce sour cream

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In 9x13 inch baking dish, stir together macaroni, shredded Cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is golden.

I'm transitioning to once-a-month-shopping too. We have a big freezer so I buy milk and bread to freeze. The only things I'm finding that I can't buy only once a month are fresh veggies and fruit.

Family Favorite - Savory Noodles - we nicknamed "Garbage"

2 lbs hamburger

2 cups noodles (I've used just about everything you can imagine)

1 to 1 1/2 cups Valveeta (have also used off brand processed cheese)

2 cans tomato soup

1/2 c chopped celery

1 green pepper - chopped

1 small onion - chopped

1/4 c Parmesan cheese

Cook the noodles. At the same time brown the hamburger w/ the chopped veggies. Drain the meat. Cube the cheese. Combine all ingredients in a casserole dish. Bake 350 25-30 mins.

Great with garlic bread. There are never any leftovers with this one.