Menu

Let's play strangest household accidents

I'll start. Went to dispense hand soap for my daughter to wash her hands. the darn thing misfired and made a direct aim to her eye. Then it was a lot of screaming but we finally got her to settle down enough to sit in the tub and rinse the soap out of her eye. Then she told me "You are the big person, I am the little person you are not to let things like that happen." Yes, major guilt trip, so out came the dum dum pops and her movie. She's relaxed enough now to open her eye. DH threw away that soap dispenser so it can't happen again. Do I get the bad mommy award for the day?

Can I tell on my sister? When we were teens she was ironing a piece of clothing on the carpet. That wasn't so bad, it was that she set the iron flat side down on the carpet after she turned it off. It melted an iron-shape into the carpet. In a main thoroughfare on the first floor.

Ooh - my brother did that right at the bottom of the stairs. And it was all sharp and prickly so when you came down in your bare feet and forgot - OUCH!

Okay, I was reaching up to a top shelf in my pantry to get down my crock pot. As I brought it down, I tipped it a little and the glass lid slid off and hit me right in the forehead. I ran downstairs to where my DH was bundled up in a recliner, watching TV, suffering from the worst flu he has ever had. I moved my hand off the spot and said, "Honey, am I bleeding?" just as a stream of blood began to pour from my head onto the floor. There was a nice big gash in my eyebrow. I had to drive myself to the hospital for stitches. Poor DH was too sick to take me.

When ds was 4, he had gone to the bathroom and was having trouble snapping his pants back up. He has a pretty quick frustration limit, and he threw himself down on the floor, banging his face on the toilet rim on the way down, giving himself a major black eye. At the same time dd had a cast on her arm from falling while learning to walk. I was afraid to go out in public with them!

Okay, I was reaching up to a top shelf in my pantry to get down my crock pot. As I brought it down, I tipped it a little and the glass lid slid off and hit me right in the forehead. I ran downstairs to where my DH was bundled up in a recliner, watching TV, suffering from the worst flu he has ever had. I moved my hand off the spot and said, "Honey, am I bleeding?" just as a stream of blood began to pour from my head onto the floor. There was a nice big gash in my eyebrow. I had to drive myself to the hospital for stitches. Poor DH was too sick to take me.

I had a similar situation with a blender on top of the refrigerator. It wasn't the plastic kind either. That sucker was made of hard glass. Ouch! After that I got the thing set up and made my drink (not alcoholic) and when I lifted it off the stand the bottom fell off of the container and it was all over the floor and counter.

Ds14 was playing with a friend when they were about 5yo. Ds hid behind a rocking chair that was by a windowsill. The friend found ds, so the friend jumped up on the rocking chair and looked over the back. This weight made the chair shift backwards, pinning ds hard against the window sil with the wooden chair back. Ds started screaming, the friend saw ds was hurt (but didn't understand that he was causing it), stood up in the seat, rocking it forward incidentally allowing ds to get freed. Ds quickly went from screaming to crying and so the friend got concerned again so he looked back over the chair back again, pinning ds Again. This went back and forth several times, each time the friend looked back over the chair he slammed ds's head back into the wall and then held him there pinned until he shifted his weight again. He was trapped until I came in the room to figure out what was going on. Ds was sooooooooooooo upset when I finally rescued him and thought his friend was doing it on purpose :0(. He was in such pain, he couldn't think to move before his friend leaned the chair back again.

Ds had a very black and blue ear for months (earlobe bruises don't have anywhere to drain to). My pediatrician said that it is lucky that she knew me really well, because his injury is a major sign of child abuse with both slapping a child and twisting ears. :001_huh:

Let's see - there is the black eye that ds(then 8) gave me with his croquet mallet. Then there is the black eye that a bug! gave me by biting me hard enough to cause blood to pool. This was within a couple month period. Only one neighbor was brave enough to actually ask me what happened.

Then there were the nursemaid elbows (where the elbow comes out of joint because the joint isn't fully formed yet.) Ds got it twice from dropping down to have a tantrum while I was still holding his hand. Dd got it wiggling while I was trying to put her clothes on!

This is a friends story but I will share it for her (a homeschooler from the 80's).

They lived in the mountains with 4-5 kids, with no running water or electricity, 1/4 mile hike to the road/parking area, up a slippery slope, 45min drive to town, in winter snow.

They had an old conveyor belt over a rafter and the kids used it for a swing. One of the boys was under 2you and he was laying on the belt, on his tummy spinning around.....with a wooden spoon in his hand. He liked to chew on it and he was teething. He had the spoon handle in his mouth, and fell. Poking the spoon through the fleshy back of his throat. His mom said he was bleeding so heavily that they didn't think there was any way he could make it to town, so they sat on the floor with him and waited for him to die. :001_huh: Finally, the bleeding stopped, so they decided to try to make it to town.

They went to the ER. The doctor said the wound would heal and sent them on their way :blink:

This is also the same mom who delivered on baby alone while her dh was at work...in the same house. The baby was early and she had to chop wood in labor, have a very young child hold a flashlight as she gave birth, and tie the cord with a new shoe string. Dh came home to a surprise!

I have a few :001_huh: (okay more than a few, I am accident prone what can I say) WHile washing a glass it broke, so as I rotated my hand inside it sliced my finger WIDE open. Had to call my mom for a ride to the hospital for stitches. While washing the kitchen floor (on my hands and knees) suddenly I had a sharp pain in the top of my foot, looked down and it was bleeding everywhere. Somehow I stretched it on the floor so much it split and needed 4 stitches, drove myself to the medicenter with my kids for that one. Ds then 4 thought he would help iron the floor and melted the carpet. One afternoon my other Ds then 2 wanted to help put groceries away and dropped a large can of spaghetti sauce on his big toe. It hit from just the right height and angle to cut the tip of his toe off. When I was little I was making coffee for my folks in the morning as was the routine, and the pot exploded in my hand tearing out several chunks and cutting my wrists, thighs and chest. No hospital visit for that (my mom yelled at me for waking her up and slapped some bandaids on it -of course we went through 2 packs on bandaids in about 4 hours because it was bleeding so bad). Taking an old table outside on my own, stepped of the edge of the back steps dropping the table on my leg and causing a tiny crack in my tibia (thankfully nothing worse than that so no cast). Stretched one day to reach a platter and suddenly felt a searing pain in my lower abdomen, my c-section scar from 9 years earlier had split open(turns out I had an ingrown hair that ruptured when I stretched- that hole took forever to close up again). Hmm I think that is it for strange accidents, the rest seem normal lol (like falls, banging into things, simple dropped items etc). I swear we all look like a family that is beaten often around here :tongue_smilie:

Then there were the nursemaid elbows (where the elbow comes out of joint because the joint isn't fully formed yet.) Ds got it twice from dropping down to have a tantrum while I was still holding his hand. Dd got it wiggling while I was trying to put her clothes on!

OHHH! We had a problem with this with my daughter. One time I was holding her hand at an Easter Egg Hunt she tripped, insted of letting go I held on to keep her from falling face first and pulled her elbow out.

I used a knife to pry open a pop top and slide it all the way through my hand. My sister and I were fighting when we were teens and she locked me out of the house. So I started to pound on the door (of course I hit the glass part) and put my hand through the window. Tons of superficial cuts that bleed alot. And most recently I tripped over my the bottom of my Pj's and fell into the door frame and somehow managed to bruise my face, wrist, and knee. :D

Well, there was the time (Valentines Day) my dh was on a ladder in the back yard trying to get the squirrel out of the dryer vent that was between floors. The creature came out, dh fell 10 feet and we spent the night in the ER.

My ds was 2 when he bumped dh's nose climbing up in his lap. No big deal. A week later my dh had a nose so swollen that he couldn't wear his glasses. Yep, it was broken.

Hmmm....

Maybe the time dd came downstairs crying because she knocked out her loose tooth. Apparently, she knocked it out with her knee when putting on her pants. :confused: :lol: I'm still trying to figure out the putting-on-pants process that results in your knee in your mouth.

Or, when my cat somehow got a front paw claw stuck in his tail (while tail was wrapped under his body), he jumped up screeching & running... and the claw was still embedded in his tail. So, it's a weird limping sprint on 3 legs as he speeds up the stairs. I'm trying to catch him to see exactly what the problem was, etc.... Finally, in the upstairs hall, he extracted it himself but w/ all his flailing about & running, there was blood everywhere. (He was fine in the end, but I didn't know a tail could produce so much blood.)

When my sister was a kid, she was running out the door w/ her shoestrings untied & slammed the door so fast behind her that her shoestrings (from both shoes) got shut in the door & she literally had her feet jerked out from under her while running. Unfortunately, this happened over a brick stair going out to the concrete garage floor. Ouch.

When I was a kid, I ran out onto our screen porch. What I didn't see was the sliding screen door going out there was shut, so I ran into it. My face hit the metal edge of the door & we had a nice profile sculpture of my face in the metal.

Gee, maybe that's why my sis and I didn't end up being runners! :lol:

Oh, and I thought of another one from my childhood.... We had a very high deck w/ a porch swing hanging under it. My friend & I liked to swing on it high enough so that we could place our forearms flat against the bottom of the deck on the upswing (about a story & a half high). So, right as we did that, I heard a crack & saw (in slow motion) the chain on my side of the swing dropping. I don't remember what came next, but I ended up on the far side of our yard. My friend ended up dumped on the ground under the swing & then the swing fell off on top of her. We were lucky that we weren't hurt. My friend did get her new white jeans really dirty (& thought her mom would be mad), so my mom spent awhile cloroxing them for her to get them looking good again, lol. As for the swing breaking, the screw holding it had broken in half -- a defective screw, I suppose.

Edited by Stacia

I must be a careful person, because I can't think of any interesting accidents I've had.

My sisters and brother, on the other hand...

My youngest sister was 4 or 5 years old and found a pack of matches in the back seat of the car. She set herself on fire, but when she started screaming my mom thought there was a bee in the car and thought she'd wait and stop when she came to a wider place in the road. Imagine her shock when she saw flames in the rear view mirror. My sister still has scars on her chest and upper abdomen.

My first older sister fell while carrying a glass jug and had glass all in her right arm. The doctor got out as much glass as he could find, but over time more glass worked its way out of her arm. She still has the scars, too.

My second older sister got kicked by her steer and her ankle was huge and purple halfway up to her knee. As it healed, it became many different colors and shades. My parents never even took her to the hospital to get it x-rayed, just iced it.

My oldest sister got in a wreck by pulling in front of another car in dense fog. There was a stone wall along the road and somehow she hit her head on it.

My brother shot himself in a hunting accident. He spent 2 months in the hospital and came home in a body cast, but he couldn't wait to go out hunting again. The doctor and my parents practically had to threaten him to keep him out of the woods. He will be 60 this year and is still an avid hunter.

Oh, here's a funny story from my mom and youngest sister. I got a call from my first older sister a couple years ago to ask if my mom called me yet to tell me she was coming to my house, because she had to leave our little sister's house. My sister was being facetious, but... My mom was visiting my little sister and helping to clean up after dinner. There was a container of liquid in the sink and my mom dumped it out. A couple hours later, my sister yells (because her kids were scattered throughout the house) to ask WHO dumped the grease down the sink? The sink was clogged up because the container my mom dumped out had grease in it. They ran hot water and stuck a coathanger down the drain, but they couldn't clear the clog. So they boiled some water to pour down the drain. The boiling water melted the pipe and then they had water all over the floor. My sister slipped in the water and stuck her hand out on the stove to catch herself - only she put her hand on the hot burner. She had to sleep with her hand in a bowl of ice water all night because it hurt so bad. My older sister and I were laughing so hard just picturing the whole scene even though we felt bad that our little sister got burned.

A family friend was bringing her baby for a visit, so my sisters and I pulled out our old stroller to take her for a walk. It was dusty, so we brilliantly decided to use Pledge to clean it. On the linoleum floor. At the bottom of the staircase.

Our mother came bouncing down the stairs in her stocking feet, hit the floor, and went down with a bang, smacking her face on the last step. For weeks, she had people trying to get her to talk to a social worker b/c they were convinced our father must have beat her.

A few weeks ago, the kids and I were eating crab legs. I sliced 3 fingers. Not with a sharp shell, but with my own nail. :001_huh:

Ooh, I've got one I wasn't present for.

My aunt was helping move my sister into her new dorm, so she spent the night at my mom's house in order to head out early. She stayed in the bottom bunk of our (and her and my mom's) childhood bunk beds. The kind where the top bunk is held up by metal wires with metal clips.

In the morning, she didn't quite remember where she was, so she sat up and caught her scalp in one of the metal clips.

Aunt goes into the bathroom. Mom follows her in, goes to look at Aunt's head, and passes out cold, smacking her own head on the heater as she goes down.

My 14yo sister walks in to see blood everywhere and assumes there's been a killing.

It's one of our favorite family stories. ;)

my kids were running in the house. I had SCREAMED twice for them to stop. They started up again and my dd bumped her head on the corner of the wall. No biggie, I get her a boo boo buddy and tell dh to give her Motrin. I was heading out the door.

I come home 2 hours later and go to check on her. When I feel her head to see if the bump was going down it was 'wet'. YEP. blood. Open wound.

Bad mom feeling sets in.

We head to the hospital and she gets her head stapled shut.

so you tell your kids not to run in the house. My dd has not forgotten the pain of that night.

Of course when she had the staples in...she walked into the wall a few times...she's just that way :001_huh:

My almost three yr old twin boys were coming in through the back door from the yard in single file. Twin One didn't realize that Twin Two was there...and slammed the heavy metal door on his hand, catching his ring finger right in the hinge. TT's finger was severed just above the knuckle, smashing the growth plate into 5 pieces. It was hanging on by just a small flap of skin.

He passed out, repeatedly. I nearly did. Rushed him to the hospital where a hand surgeon just happened to be in the ER! Hand surgeon had a warped sense of humor and flapped the finger back to show me the extent of the injury. I got sick.

We're still paying the bill nearly our years later. Thankfully, we have a healthy finger to show for it.

Ooh, I've got one I wasn't present for.

My aunt was helping move my sister into her new dorm, so she spent the night at my mom's house in order to head out early. She stayed in the bottom bunk of our (and her and my mom's) childhood bunk beds. The kind where the top bunk is held up by metal wires with metal clips.

In the morning, she didn't quite remember where she was, so she sat up and caught her scalp in one of the metal clips.

Aunt goes into the bathroom. Mom follows her in, goes to look at Aunt's head, and passes out cold, smacking her own head on the heater as she goes down.

My 14yo sister walks in to see blood everywhere and assumes there's been a killing.

It's one of our favorite family stories. ;)

:lol:

Does the front yard "count" as a household accident location ?

In November 2003, the city tore up the sidewalk on our side of the street, leaving a muddy rubble for several weeks. I tired of stepping in the gook in order to get to our mailbox. One day, I decided to jump over the [absent] "sidewalk" to the grass on the other side. My foot must have caught in the hem of my skirt, or something (mid-calf length dress), and I fell -- hard. My husband was working at home that day, and insists that from the upstairs, front room office, he heard the break.

I broke my lower right leg clear through the bones in three places. (I did not have osteoporosis, either.) Landed in a rehab hospital for three weeks. Did not get to go upstairs in my own house for 16 months, after returning home.

Stupid accident ? You bet ! :)

I have a few :001_huh: (okay more than a few, I am accident prone what can I say) WHile washing a glass it broke, so as I rotated my hand inside it sliced my finger WIDE open.

I've done that twice with the same hand...nice scars too.

There is one accident that I STILL feel mortified about 10 years later. My SIL and her dd (9months old) was helping me pack up my house for a move. The dd was sitting in the kitchen floor playing while we packed up things. I reached into an upper cabinet to pull out some dishes when a Pyrex bowl (a big one) fell out and HIT MY NEICE ON THE HEAD! All three of us cried!! My niece was ok, but she grew up to be the wildest child of any of ours....they blame me and the blow to the head. (and that niece is the only one that won't hardly have anything to do with me :( )

My oldest dd has had a couple...like jumping off her bunk bed and breaking her ankle...but I didn't think it was that bad. She walked on it for 3 days and went to school. The third day I noticed it was black and swelling...yep...broken. The other was when she was horseplaying with her papaw, and fell. She hit her head on the corner of our coffee table and split it wide open. It looked like she had a third eye, and you could see bone. I slapped my hand over it right away and it didn't even bleed until we got to the hospital. Several stitches there.

Edited by Apryl H

Okay. My (now 5yo) daughter has a scar on her thigh. A couple of years ago, she walked into a dark bathroom where some children (who shall remain nameless) left the wire insert of a canner on the floor because they were using it as a basket. She tripped over it, the wire broke, and slid under the skin and up the thigh 2.5-3". Went to the emergency room where they BELIEVED she only had a surface wound only to point out to them there was a red "trail" higher up. They didn't clean it properly. The next morning it was very apparent it is a puncture wound, so we called her pediatrician. Because we delay vaxes, that SAME hospital that didn't care for it properly would not treat us and we had to go to the emergency room to a children's hospital an hour away for treatment.

All from a wire basket insert for a canner.

My brother also had to go to the emergency room once for sticking a plastic fishing worm so high up his nose they couldn't get it out. Our son did the same with a bead. In our son's case, they (military doctor) called in the military dentist to use his tools to "fetch" the bead. Ew.

Mine isn't strange really... .just expensive and painful.

I got up off the couch (after no one complementing me on my new haircut & color - first time coloring too :glare: ), decided to NOT step on the Barbie... proceeded to do a flying leap across the room landing in front of the TV and tearing my ACL.

And here i sit, still with a torn ACL that limits me in a variety of ways (i had surgery before the MRI came back, and the doc hadn't cleared ACL replacement with me since we both thought it was "just" torn cartilage, so he couldn't replace it without asking...).

Make that a $20,000 Barbie.... darn kids!

I remembered another one. The kids were at grandma's, in the basement. They were jumping from the mini trampoline, onto the marble coffee table, to the leather couch and back to the mini tramp in a circle. Ds then 3, slipped while jumping to the coffee table, what I didn't know was the metal trim was broken and sticking out, and he sliced his scalp open. Because he was playing hard all day he was filthy and now covered in blood, so while holding a compress on his scalp I gave him a quick bath before going up to the hospital for his 4 stitches.

When I was in high school I tore a tendon in my ankle. By going down one step to the ground in the football stadium during a big game. I have no idea what happened but I stepped down and the next moment I was laying on the ground with friends surrounding me. My ankle tingled but I thought it was ok. The next morning my leg from my knee down was black and I couldn't walk on it.

My brother had his share of crazy accidents. When he was 3 he was visiting the grandparents (the ones my mom didn't like LOL). When they thought he was asleep he was actually taking a metal curtain rod down. At some point he then fell on it. The end went thru his cheek and he had to have stitches. To this day he has a quarter sized scar in the shape of a cresent moon on that cheek.

Then, when he was 4, he crashed a tricycle into a bike. The rim cut his leg pretty much hip to thigh. That had to be butterflied and he has a long cresent shaped scar there too.

I have a small triangle shaped scar on my eyelid in that corner where the nose meets the eyebrow. When I was in 4th grade we didn't have airconditioners in the building. I was in the row next to the windows and dropped my pencil. Somehow I managed to hit my head on the corner of the window (They opened in). It hurt and blood started pouring. MY teacher thought I had poked my eye out.

One of my permanent teeth has a large chip out of it from the time I hit my mouth on the jungle gym.

When dd was 3 we had an aquarium on a table right behind the sofa in our living room. One day as I'm watching TV from another spot in the room, dd apparently sits on her knees on the sofa and throws her head back, busting a huge gaping crack in the aquarium. Water is pouring out all over the sofa and carpet. I scream for dh who is upstairs taking a bath and check quickly to see if dd has cracked her skull. No blood or anything so I start to deal with the still gushing water, while still calling for dh. I move the sofa away from the water and still no dh. Finally, in frustration, I run up the stairs to the bathroom, fling open the door - and there is dh, calmy soaking in the tub reading a book.:glare:

Thankfully he made it down in time to save the fish and we were able to dry the sofa and carpet with no lasting damage.

I have a couple from when I was a kid... I was standing in the garage trying to lock up my bike after riding barefoot. I must've pulled the chain too hard because the wooden shelves it was attached to started to fall forward. I managed to catch them and set them back up, but ALL the glass jars fell and broke around my feet! I was stuck there yelling for someone to come from inside the house because I was standing barefoot in a sea of glass.

Then there was the time the roof of our house was getting replaced. They were almost finished putting the tin on but had to stop for the night and left some scraps lying out in the yard. My family came back late from being out of town and as we walked up to the front door, I stepped over one piece, tripped over another and sliced my knee open. It gushed blood and we put butterfly bandaids on. I still have such a big scar that people sometimes ask when I had knee surgery.

This last one isn't technically household, but happened while walking to work on campus in college. I don't know what kind of pipe was being replaced, but the whole street I had to cross was torn up parallel to the sidewalk with plywood boards out to act as bridges. It was Jan, cold and rainy, and those boards were slick! I slipped off and fell waist deep in cement, but couldn't feel the bottom either. :w00t: Absolutely no one was around to call to for help (it was close to 9 pm) so I start stretching to reach the other side and finally manage to drag myself out. But now I'm covered in cement and have to get back across that abyss in order to get back to my dorm to change. It takes almost half an hour to trudge back to my dorm because of all the cement in my pants, shoes, coat, etc. and I'm leaving a trail as I go. I had a rash all over the bottom half of my body for weeks after that! Oh, and I still had to go into work after I got cleaned up.... back across that abyss again!

my almost three yr old twin boys were coming in through the back door from the yard in single file. Twin one didn't realize that twin two was there...and slammed the heavy metal door on his hand, catching his ring finger right in the hinge. Tt's finger was severed just above the knuckle, smashing the growth plate into 5 pieces. It was hanging on by just a small flap of skin.

He passed out, repeatedly. I nearly did. Rushed him to the hospital where a hand surgeon just happened to be in the er! Hand surgeon had a warped sense of humor and flapped the finger back to show me the extent of the injury. I got sick.

We're still paying the bill nearly our years later. Thankfully, we have a healthy finger to show for it.

aaaaaaccccccckkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine placed a knife on the edge of her sink and proceeded to turn on the garbage disposal. The vibration from the disposal caused the knife to fall into the sink and into the disposal blade up. Picture a twirling knife in the sink. Her reaction was to grab the knife which is exactly what she did. She ended up with a few stitches for that one.

I have a couple from my childhood. Neither would happen now because of changes in how people live.

I grew up in Japan. We had a summer cabin in the woods. It had an old kerosene heater that heated up the water for a deep Japanese soaking tub (ofuro). My brother was washing his hair before getting in the tub. I was about 7 at the time and had to go to the bathroom. But when I knocked on the door, my brother "refused" to answer. My knocks got more and more desperate and finally my mom got involved. Still no answer. There was a strong smell of gas around the door. My mom went around to the bathroom window to try to break in, but my sister (16) grabbed that door and ripped it off it's hinges! That's adrenalin for you! My mom had to do CPR for what seemed like ages before my brother revived. I tell him quite frequently that I saved his life because I had to go to the bathroom!

That same year we went for a picnic on a farm. My brothers and sisters and I were all playing hide-n-seek. I was it. As I ran around looking for them, I found myself slipping - into what seemed like brown quicksand but was really a holding tank for cow manure. I started screaming. My brother (the one I had saved in the previous story) yelled, "I'll save you!" And fell into the neighboring manure tank (there was no indication where these tanks were since they were flush to the ground and looked the same brown). Then the dog jumped in just for fun! I had gone in up to my arm-pits before my dad and oldest brother managed to pull me out. We all stank so bad! My mom threatened to tie us all to the roof of the car in order to get home.:glare:

I was opening a jar and heard some crunching and then felt immediate pain. Can you believe I broke my KNUCKLE in my thumb, the bottom part where it connects your hand? Imagine how STUPID I felt when people kept asking me what I did. I had to wear a cast, thumb sticking out, which reached my elbow! Of course the PURPLE color didn't detract from attention :tongue_smilie:

Honestly, how stupid is that? I broke my knuckle while opening a jar. Brilliant.

Not being the most common sensical kid, I thought because the rain had stopped it would be okay to take the pogo stick back out on the black top drive way. Then, while falling flat on my face, I didn't have the sense to let go of the handle bars and stopped my fall with my face. Pretty bruises.

2 weeks ago, I hear a blood curdling scream from my bedroom. My little one was crying says he tripped and fell hitting his hand on the ground. I give him an ice pack and figure that's the end of it. Next day, he's leaning over to pick something up and his brother comes up behind him and scares him. He jams his finger into the ground. Ow. He says he's okay, again, an ice pack. We go to TKD, he plays basketball all night. We get home and he says, "Mom, my hand's kinda puffy." Yup, it's broken. And I get to tell all the doctors, nurses, and just plain nosey people what happened. "He fell." Ugh.

One cold New Year's Eve twilight, I decided that our ewes looked very close to lambing, so I knew it was time to separate the rams from the flock. I ran the rams into a stall where we have a bottleneck set up and instructed dh that as they began to run back out, I would let the first one go past me and he was to catch it at the doorway and I would grab the second one at the bottleneck. The rams began to run and I let the first guy past. I jumped on the second one and wrestled him to the ground. "Did you get your ram?", I yelled to dh.

"I'm hurt...", trailed this quavery voice.

"But did you get your ram?", I demanded, since I was still engaged in a wrestling match with mine, who apparently knew the plan and wanted very much to stay with the ladies.

"I'm hurt..." came the shaky reply again. Okay, so I grudgingly let go of my ram and turned to see what had happened.

Apparently when the first ram came running full force at dh, his reaction was to crouch down a little like a football player about to make a tackle. The ram viewed that as his obstruction getting shorter, so he jumped like a mountain goat. Unfortunately, his body image was a little off and his horns were wider than he thought. One of his curled horns caught dh all around his eye, on the bony socket edge. Dh had a fairly deep x-shaped cut at the inner corner of his eyebrow and was very red and swollen along the nose and cheekbone below his eye.

By this time it was well past dark on New Year's Eve. We really didn't want to be out on the roads or languishing at the ER with a bunch of drunks. So we drove to a neighbor's who is a physician's assistant. She poked around in there, used some medical glue, and sent us home to ice it.

So, on New Year's Day, if you came to our extended family luncheon, and saw some guy sitting in a recliner with a bag of frozen peas on his battered and blackened eye, would you think he had gone out and done some things he shouldn't have the night before, or would you believe the flying sheep story???

BTW, I lured the rams into a separate pasture by trickery and the ewes lambed that New Year's evening. Months later when dh went for his regular checkup, the Dr. said that apparently some of the socket bone had been crushed and there was mild nerve damage. But really nothing that they could have done much for, except to ice it.

Don't know if mine count as "household" but......

When I was 6 I was playing on the playground at school while waiting for the bus. The bus arrived and as I went to run to it, I managed to trip over my own 2 feet (yes my shoes were tied) falling straight to the ground. Busted my lip, broke my front tooth and needed 3 stitches to close the split down the middle of my lip.

Then when I was in 7th grade, I was in gym class. Gym class had just finished and as the entire class started to head to the locker room, I managed to trip OVER a gym mat and SLAM into the concrete wall so hard it knocked me out. When I came to I quickly discovered that my arm did not look normal and was in a lot of pain. After waiting 6 hours (PE was my first class) for the school to get ahold of my mother (cell phones were not available then and we didn't have family nearby). It was discovered that I had SHATTERED my elbow. Which required surgery to place several pins into my arm/elbow for it to heal correctly.

So now in my old age, everyone wants to know how I got that 7 inch long scar on my elbow. "Uh.. I tripped over a mat and fell into a wall" :001_huh: I really should come up with a story that sounds more adventurous.

Thankfully, when I was 16, my grandparents had my tooth fixed so I don't have to explain that story to anyone. Also, you can't see my scar under my big fat lip unless I 'show' it to you. :D

Oh! I forgot my fire stories too. Do these even qualify as strange household accidents?

When I was 5, I was playing with my dolly's and I got a little too close to the gas heater. (It's hard to describe the heater, but it was sort of like a square version of a Kerosene heater, so you have a open flame.) I accidentally dropped my dolls clothing onto the heater and set the house on fire. Thankfully the kitchen sink and my mother weren't far. She put it out with 1 soup pot of water and 1 soup pot of soup.

Then when I was 9 or 10, I was burning trash and managed to accidently set the field on fire. I think a gust of wind picked up a piece of the trash out of the barrel and set it in the field. Again I nearly burnt down the house. We lived in a very rural area then and we did not own a phone. So my barefooted little feet had to run a mile and half on gravel dirt road to the nearest neighbor to ask them to phone the fire dept. I then had to run back and help my mom put out the fire. When I arrived the fire was really close to the house and my mother had me get my little sisters (who were only 3 and 4 at the time) and put them into the car for safe keeping. All (4 or 5 of them) the nearby neighbors arrived to help put out the fire. (I assume the neighbor with the phone called them.) The fire dept took over an hour to get there so we had the fire out before they arrived. I managed to burn up 2 acres that day. The fire came within 6 inches of the house.

Now you all know why we live by the Murphy's Law philosophy!!! :D

I'm signing off before I remember any other "tragic" events of my life! :lol:

I got my finger stuck in the lid of a mosquito repellent wipes container.

http://www.cutterinsectrepellent.com/ProductCategories/RepellentProducts/AdvancedWipes/

Trust me, when they say on the package to not stick your finger in to extract the wipes, they mean it. The more I tried to pull my finger out, the harder the lid got lodged onto my finger. The wipes opening has these little triangle-shaped things that just dig in more and more the harder you try to pull it off, and using a bit of slippery soap doesn't do a thing to help.

I had to call DH home from work to help me cut it off. No lasting damage done but it really hurt while it was on me.