Menu

Is removal of wisdom teeth really necessary?

My 22 yo son is scheduled to have all 4 wisdom teeth removed next month. I guess I'm okay with it, if the Dr. recommends it (and so is my son), but my husband is a little more ... anti-"medical profession." He is quite doubtful as to the necessity of the procedure. Have any of you gone against the dentist's recommendation? And, if so, why? I haven't seen anything here, the SL boards, or Vegsource -- so maybe it's just common knowledge that it's the right thing to do.

Thanks for any advice!

Lynnette

My dentist recommended I get my 3 (I'm missing one) removed 10 years ago. I opted not to and last year one got infected and I had it taken out then. I still have my other 2 and will probably get them removed at some point, I guess. I have noticed that over the years my teeth have shifted slightly overall but not that anyone else would notice.

Why does the doc recommend it?

I have all mine still. One is in sideways so barely sticks up. The others are extra small but extra tall.

My doc didn't recommend me getting them out (my teeth wouldn't be straight just cuz they were out anyway).

I don't know. I figure docs have reasons for things. I'd find out what ds's doc's reason is.

Dentists do tend to recommend their removal as a matter of course, but many people do just fine keeping all of their wisdom teeth. The reasoning is generally "well, wisdom teeth often create problems later, and it's less traumatic to remove them earlier"... But whether it's necessary as a general practice is debatable.

I kept mine till I was about 30, but because of the angle at which they came in (typical because there's not really enough room in most mouths for them), it was tough to clean them completely, and while I'd only ever had one other cavity in my life, one of my wisdom teeth did decay to the point that it had to be removed. Since my others were headed in the same general direction, we went ahead and had them all taken at the same time.

I'm still not at all sorry I took a "wait and see" approach -- but then, I probably fall more on your husband's side of things generally. ;) And one could certainly argue that it would have been easier on me to have my teeth removed at 18 than it was at 30. (I found the recovery from surgery rather awful, but I had dry sockets, and a bad reaction to the medication they gave me -- and that might have happened at any time. Dh had his removed at about the same time, by the same oral surgeon, and didn't have a bad time of it at all, so age may have had nothing to do with it.)

If your son is fine with it, and insurance will cover it, most people would say to go for it. If he's hesitant however, I would ask the dentist or oral surgeon to explain why he thinks this must be done *now* rather than taking a wait-and-see approach. He may well mumble about general prevention of problems -- but the fact is, they can certainly be removed and problems ameliorated at a later date. (On the other hand, a 22yo may be able to spare three days from his life more easily than a 35yo with a demanding job and a family...)

I was told by my childhood dentist to have them removed at 18. I begged and begged NOT to do it! I didn't see the need. So, my parents just never scheduled the surgery.

One of my wisdom teeth has broken through and the other four are impacted. I have a wonderful dentist now who is taking the wait and see approach. As long as I can keep the one tooth that is through clean, I can keep it. We xray the others once/year.

My dad still has all of his!

Mine were giving me headaches and jaw aches every day for 2 weeks, so I knew something was wrong, and suspected wisdom teeth. When I got it checked out, the x-rays showed they were impacted. The oral surgeon I was referred to didn't think impacted wisdom teeth cause headaches (HA! do too!) and tried to talk me out of having them removed, saying not all impacted wisdom teeth need to be removed. That might be true, but when there's pain, they do. My aches were gone after the surgery (I only had pain from the surgery itself).

So it probably depends on if there's pain, an infection, etc...

I think it depends on why he is suggesting they be removed. I had all four of mine surgically removed because they were all impacted and they all came in sideways and were causing my teeth to shift forward. After $5000 worth of orthodontics.....I wanted to keep my straight teeth. My husband had two of his removed, but he had very poor root canals courtesy of the U.S. Army and they cracked and there was nothing left to save.

So I would just try to find out why the dentist is making the recommendation and go from there.

Blessings,

Wow....all your teeth....amazing, LOL! I only have 24....4 wisdom teeth out, 2 permanent teeth knocked out by going under a volleyball net while riding a horse (when my pretty little permanent teeth were coming in), had 2 permanent teeth pulled to 'match up' the ones I lost with Mr. Horse, LOL!

I had mine pulled before they even erupted because I'd had almost $5,000 worth of orthodontics and I do have a very small mouth.

My dh had his pulled at about 25 because they were severely infected. It's my understanding that because they sit so far back in the mouth, they are much more prone to cavities and abcesses.

Oh, and if your ds packs his face in ice after they are pulled for about 24 hours, the swelling won't be so bad. Worked for me!

I can't compete on quantity [ Jennifer's 5 wisdom teeth ] but perhaps I can on lateness. I did not even develop any wisdom teeth until I was 30 years old. (Dentists kept searching.) (I tell my eldest child, who was born when I was 29-1/2 -- that it is his fault they even grew -- that pregnancy hormones were to blame ! :D ) Only three ever developed. Since they were sideways and promising to wreak all manner of havoc, the dentist recommended they be removed. (which they were)

I had mine removed at 18 but it was because I had a small mouth, impacted teeth and lots of orthodontia. Out of my 5 siblings, only one of them also needed them removed. Everyone else still has theirs.

When I had mine pulled, it was done by my general dentist. He did two at a time. The first two came out OK, but he did have to work hard. They gave me a little green pill that made me oh, so relaxed. Then he did novacaine. I got some tylenol w/ codeine for pain for when the novacaine wore off. I felt fine later and went out with friends that evening. I got the other two pulled a couple months later (had to come home from college to get that done.) These two were more difficult. The dentist had to break one in half and, in the process, stretched something in my jaw. For two weeks afterwards, I couldn't open my mouth to fit a spoon between my teeth. I basically slurped jello and soups between my teeth until my jaw heeled. I don't remember being in much pain, except for the jaw. This one swelled a lot more as well.

I was told on Tuesday that I need three of mine taken out. I was told about 6 years ago to have it done and I didn't. Now I'm on antibiotics because one is infected and the bottom ones are causing jaw pain. My mom worked for an oral surgeon and she has seen 80 yos come in for surgery. She kept telling me to get them out because sooner or later I'd probably have to do it anyway because of a problem. I should have listened to my mom. :001_smile:

4 wisdom teeth. I did have to have one filled a couple years ago, it was very challenging for the dentist to reach and he commented several times during the appointment I should really consider having them removed. No thank you. I have since bought an electric toothbrush with a small head hoping it will help keep them a little cleaner. Mine are in the whole way though, often wisdom teeth only partially come in or come in sideways.

Mine had come in partially, so stuff would get under my gum (yuck!) I didn't think about a dentist filling them - what a practical idea! These two wisdom teeth were the only cavities I ever had and by the time I had them removed they were in BAD shape.

I did get an infection in the gum around one of my bottom ones, but having it pulled was too expensive (it is behind part of my jaw bone.)

Both dh and I still have all our wisdom teeth. We both have some crowding, but nothing that bothers us. We see a dentist every year as recommended and he's never said anything about them.

BTW, neither of us has ever had any cavities either.

I was told on Tuesday that I need three of mine taken out. I was told about 6 years ago to have it done and I didn't. Now I'm on antibiotics because one is infected and the bottom ones are causing jaw pain. My mom worked for an oral surgeon and she has seen 80 yos come in for surgery. She kept telling me to get them out because sooner or later I'd probably have to do it anyway because of a problem. I should have listened to my mom. :001_smile:

LOL! This reminds me of a sign I read recently: "If something doesn't work out for you, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place!"

I have had several dentist tell me that generally speak most people do not have room for all of their teeth so the wisdom teeth cause crowding and/or impaction when they come in. They are also more prone to cavities because they are harder to floss and clean. That being said, I being the stubborn gal that I am still have all of my wisdom teeth. One tooth is partially impacted and only partially erupted so it does have gum over part of it. That makes it difficult to clean but I do it. I use the placker types pick/floss and an electric tooth brush. It has been this way for more than 20 years now and as of my last appt. this tooth still has no plaque, tartar build up or cavities. My dentist said he see no point in removing any of them now especially being that I have had no problem with them. All of my children that have gotten their wisdom teeth still have them with plenty of room and no forseeable need to remove them. He did say that this was pretty rare now days. I do have to wonder if that is not due to the standard practice of prophylactically removing them though.

Mine were all impacted and the dentist cut them all out at once. It was pretty rough the first couple of days. Don't plan on going anywhere while he's recovering. But it is amazing how quickly the body heals itself. I don't regret having it done because now I dont' have to worry about them anymore. They were pushing in on my other teeth and making them crooked.

I only had one - maybe that explains things:001_rolleyes:

But, my one attempted to come in at a wicked angle and was impacted on top of it all. We did remove it because it was putting so much pressure and hurting the tooth beside it. I wouldnt do it "just because". Kind of like removing the appendix because it might be a problem later on. If the wisdom tooth is a problem, then yes, do something about it.

I had my two bottom ones removed in college because they were infected. One top one has come through without any problems but I am kinda wondering if the other top one has enough room to come out. My gums kinda end where my teeth are now *shrug*

I would not have them removed unless they are causing problems but that is just me.

I had 3 of mine taken out because I have a very small mouth. One is impacted and growing sideways. That may be causing the pain on that side of my jaw, but I am a big chicken and won't be cut on lol.

It really depends on your son and his situation. In answer to your question about going 'against' a dentist or other medical professional for that matter, yes, they are not always right but I do find out the why behind their recommendation. IMO it is my body and I can decide what is going to be done with it, period.

The argument I got when my lower wisdom teeth were pulled was that it was "in case", which struck me as stupid because yes, I was in the Navy, and yes, it would be bad to have a dental emergency that could have been foreseen and prevented leave you miserable when deployed on a small ship or a submarine, but at that time, I was in Nuke school, and being female, was expecting I'd be stationed on an aircraft carrier. Not exactly the boonies without adequate medical care, yk?

Anyway, I wound up de-nuked and sent to a destroyer eventually, so yeah, that would have been a potential bad. Except that my upper ones, which the dentist said were impacted up too high to ever be likely to give me any trouble, came in just fine, AFTER I GOT OUT OF THE SERVICE, when I was like 24 for one, and while pg with DD at age 26 for the other.

They did say at my discharge I could hang around a few days and have them pulled, but at that point I wanted to get home to my DH (who was in AZ while I was on said destroyer forward deployed out of Japan for 24 mo....at the beginning of our marriage).

So unless he's planning on going somewhere where dental help isn't readily available (such as Peace Corps., missionary work somewhere remote, the military, etc.), or about to lose your insurance coverage because of his age, (I haven't actually been to a dentist since I got out of the Navy, because of $$), it's probably unneccesary unless he's having problems.

I had mine taken out about 5 years ago (maybe age 37?) due to infection. it is quite horrible when they get infected. That being said, I don't regret not getting them taken out before that. It was just that they needed to come out when they needed to come out. It wasn't surgery, although the dentist said if he couldn't get them, I would have to go to the dental surgeon. I had antibiotics for a few days, then I went back and he pulled 'em out. Didn't feel a thing. Felt much better afterwards.

It seems to me that enough people need to get them out at some stage that many dentists recommend it as a matter of course. I don't see any problem with not doing it though.

I had mine removed as a teen before they got roots. It is quick and easy then, not so easy later. I had jaw problems as a teen, and they were afraid they were going to end up causing problems later. I am glad they are gone, and I don't have to worry about it.

I had mt top ones out about 4 years ago ( 30) they came through the side of the gum, sideways and were cutting into my cheek. I had one of the bottom ones removed 5 months ago.(34) it was compacted. boy did it hurt. not the removal, but the huge hole left in my mouth. the tooth was so big, that there wasn't enough gum to stitch closed. I went back to the dentist the next day and they gave me some REALLY strong painkillers. I was in la la land for the next 3 days.

the other wisdom tooth hasn't come through yet. it occasionally comes through the gum, and then recedes again. the dentist said to just leave it until it starts causing a problem.

I would want to have a good reason, explained to me in such a way that I both understood and agreed with it before removing them.

I had mine removed when I was 18, but it was very clear that I didn't have room for them. My teeth have NO room between them; I can't even get floss through them easily...and that's with them removed.

I have my wisdom teeth, but not the second molars. My orthodontist thought that it was less traumatic to do it that way. My mouth would be way too crowded if I'd kept them all. My last wisdom tooth came in really crooked after I was married! It's sideways, but doesn't bother me.

Both my DH and I had ours removed at 18. The Navy (back then anyway) removed them just because. It wasn't a big deal and I am glad we did. I have enough crowding in my mouth.

Lol, my brother had them out the same way (with the Marines), about three years or so ago at Basic. They just lined up the kids (or, in my brother's case, adult, lol) who still had wisdom teeth and out they came! They were given Ibuprofen and the same boxed lunch everybody else had and sent right back out to training. (He didn't seem to think much of it -- I was horrified, lol!)

My dentist wanted to remove mine when I was in my late teens-early twenties. I refused because I could still see some small gaps between my teeth, I felt like he was just doing it to do it (he didn't have any response when I asked about the gaps). They came in pretty straight, I had occasional periods where there was discomfort as they were coming in over the years, but it eventually went away. Now I think it would feel weird for them not to be there.

Like others have said, if there is a reason to get them removed I would.

I had a dentist tell me at 18 that my fully impacted wisdom teeth were awful and I needed to have them out - NOW. I never got around to it. In my 20s I had a dentist tell me that again. Never got around to it. In my 30s I asked the dentist what the honest worst case scenario was. He said it could be more urgent surgery and if it damages some bone I could lose an additional back tooth in the process. Then he quietly confessed that his 70-something mother had all of hers still and they were impacted. She will probably be buried with them.

Last year one of them poked through halfway. My new dentist shrugged, said, "huh", then told me we'll need to make sure it doesn't come in too crooked and annoy my cheek or something. Otherwise, he didn't seem to care at all.

In all honestly, my lower teeth did go a bit crooked due the direction my impacted lower teeth were pushing. It's not bad enough for me to want to correct them at this time, but that was one side effect.

I would consider watching them and if they may shove other teeth crooked, or if there are problems, then do it. I would never bother automatically.

All four of my wisdom teeth came in pointing towards my cheek and would bite the inside of my cheek constantly. I had the top two pulled first to relieve that problem, in the hopes I'd get to keep two of them at least. The bottom two eventually deteriorated enough they had to be pulled as well. *shrug*

I had mine removed as a teen before they got roots. It is quick and easy then, not so easy later. I had jaw problems as a teen, and they were afraid they were going to end up causing problems later. I am glad they are gone, and I don't have to worry about it.

I can see where that would be good--to have them removed before they have roots. My oral surgeon said that in my case the roots were very close to the nerves, to such a degree that he couldn't guarantee not cutting the nerves during the surgery. If that happened, I could have temporary or permanent nerve damage (depending on if the nerves grew back), and I could lose feeling in my lips. Fun, huh? And I wouldn't know for at least a couple of days, since I'd be numb for the surgery anyway. Thankfully, there was no nerve damage.

I've only got two wisdom, the top two, the bottoms never grew in (I'm 30 now).

My dentist's wants to remove them b/c she said they would just keep growing downwards :confused: , since there were not any bottom ones to stop them:blink:

I've opted not to thus far, I guess I'll just have to wait an see if her weird theory comes true.