Menu

Is this normal or not?

But it gets better- I go to get DD from the party and she comes out empty handed except for the baking tray. So I asked how was the cookie baking and the mom replies how cute it was for my DD to make cookies and donate them to her. :001_huh:. The mom then says that all the other kids were so moved that they donated their cookies to the her, too. This is group of 3-6 year olds.

After we get home, I asked DD about it. Her reply is why did the mom keep all the kids cookies. She says she wanted to bring them home and was told no they stayed at her house. I did call another mom that I know who kid was there and asked her. She got the same story and her child was upset, too.

So to me it seems that this mom has a nice plate of cookies the kids made her so she doesn't have to make cookies for her family christmas party on Monday. The kicker was the child of the mom was sick-running a 101 fever, chills and runny nose. I found that after I picked up DD.

I don't think DD is going to anymore cookie baking parties there.

This is just crazy!!!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ummm, did you know before this party that this woman was ettiquette challenged?

She has always been normal to us.

What kind of cookies did the 3-6 year-olds make?

She had baked gingerbread people and sugar cookies for them to decorate.

I was thinking booger flavored. It'd serve her right!

LOL. I kinda hope her kid licks everyone.

I read the original post to hubby. His reply was NUTJOB!

LOL

Pretty much sums it up!

I would NOT have brought a gift for the DD either-- no matter if I had noticed it or not. (if it was for a charity, that would have been different!)

Scan in this invite! I would LOVE to see it! (and the back too!) I just cannot imagine how she worded it so that it wasn't tacky! HAHA

I have looked all over the invite just to see if it was there. I can't find the thing. It came in November along with an invite to her baby shower. That invite is saved for it was priceless. Her baby shower is being thrown by her four year old. Not friends, not family but her four year old. Shower was last weekend as I was sick and missed it. Her baby is due in April.

I have looked all over the invite just to see if it was there. I can't find the thing. It came in November along with an invite to her baby shower. That invite is saved for it was priceless. Her baby shower is being thrown by her four year old. Not friends, not family but her four year old. Shower was last weekend as I was sick and missed it. Her baby is due in April.

OK, she's officially a wacko :glare: This actually made the skin on my scalp tingle! I would stay very far away from her from now on.

Crazy town.

I TOTALLY agree!! I would never darken her door again. All further possible entanglements would be met with a firm, "sorry, we have another commitment."

Eta: thinking about it? I think we would have left after the gift debacle at the beginning.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

She has always been normal to us.

She had baked gingerbread people and sugar cookies for them to decorate.

LOL. I kinda hope her kid licks everyone.

Now I'm sad for your dd. I wonder how many other parents are now baking those exact cookies because their dds didn't get to take any home.

You know I'm non-confrontational, but this one takes the cake (or cookie), no pun intended. Gingerbread people are not something everyone bakes, those were special. That is a hard age to explain narcissism too, but in this case I"d try.:tongue_smilie: I would call and just read what a pp wrote. That poor little dd or hers may lose friends over this and she won't know why unless someone confronts the mother.

Now I'm sad for your dd. I wonder how many other parents are now baking those exact cookies because their dds didn't get to take any home.

You know I'm non-confrontational, but this one takes the cake (or cookie), no pun intended. Gingerbread people are not something everyone bakes, those were special. That is a hard age to explain narcissism too, but in this case I"d try.:tongue_smilie: I would call and just read what a pp wrote. That poor little dd or hers may lose friends over this and she won't know why unless someone confronts the mother.

Tomorrow we are baking cookies now. I know I need to say something but I think I will cool off for a few days. The little girl doesn't have many friends. Only the ones her mom approves of. The girl is sweet but very spoiled. Her child can do no wrong type.

:blink:

:001_huh:

I'm thinking a hardback copy of "Miss Manners' Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior" should be delivered anonymously to her doorstep.

:confused: Ok, sounds like someone is a little narcissistic. Or maybe, quite narcissistic. Ugh - stay far, far away! Ms Manners would have a field day with this woman.

Well, now the story is just bizarre! That is definitely not normal.

I can't imagine keeping cookies decorated by 3-6year olds. First of all, I am sure those kids wanted to take their own cookies home. Second, anyone who has ever watched a group of young children decorate cookies, knows that only a blood relative (or maybe a teenage boy) would eat such a cookie. :ack2: There is way too much finger licking going on. :lol:

:iagree:I would definitely say something. And my children would NOT be attending anything else at their house.

I would say something, too. I would be too annoyed to be quiet about it, and this woman needs to hear that she was out of line -- and the other moms should step up and tell her the same thing.

What a horrible woman.

Wow, that woman has balls that clank. I would steer clear of her.

You poor DD, I feel so sorry that she didn't get to bring any cookies home. :sad:

:lol::lol::lol: Balls that clank?!? Awesome!

And it sounds to me like this mom needs some sort of medication and if we don't have anything that will work for her, we need to get some drug company working on it. What a whacko!!!

It sounds like she has some problems.

Just keep your eyes open on that front.

There will likely be more...interesting... experiences with her.

:001_huh: :001_huh: :001_huh:

WT???????

Young kids invited to a party and leave with nothing? What a way to alienate all of your dd's friends. :svengo:

Hey, I have an idea. I'll host a cleaning party. I'll get lots of little girls to come over and I'll show them how to clean a house, scrub toilets, stuff like that. Bring your own supplies and rubber gloves. ;)

The woman was tacky, rude, and deserved to be called on it. Plus she has a fever!!! Hello!!! In close proximity with small children with developing immune systems. It's a week before Christmas, hmm, what's the average incubation period???

These are the times I'm glad to have a boy. They don't have hammering parties.

I hate to be so obvious about this, but this isn't really a girl issue or a party issue... but it seems very clear to me that this mother may have some mental health issues in her life. Her judgment is off on so many levels (child with fever, presents, lying about invitation info., lying about cookies, taking cookies from children...) Anyone else notice this?

Instead of joking, I think I'd wonder seriously if she needs to get some help. Have you spoken with her dh about your concerns?

I hate to be so obvious about this, but this isn't really a girl issue or a party issue... but it seems very clear to me that this mother may have some mental health issues in her life. Her judgment is off on so many levels (child with fever, presents, lying about invitation info., lying about cookies, taking cookies from children...) Anyone else notice this?

Instead of joking, I think I'd wonder seriously if she needs to get some help. Have you spoken with her dh about your concerns?

Only recently has she had some odd behaviors. I know she is on

some meds to keep the pregnancy. I wonder if that has something

to do with it. I wouldnt speak to her DH as he would never hear me. I know

she has been having issues with shopping as they recently came into

some money and she has been spending a storm.

Only recently has she had some odd behaviors. I know she is on

some meds to keep the pregnancy. I wonder if that has something

to do with it. I wouldnt speak to her DH as he would never hear me. I know

she has been having issues with shopping as they recently came into

some money and she has been spending a storm.

As you share more details about this woman I find myself surprised that you sent your very little girl to her house without you.

As you share more details about this woman I find myself surprised that you sent your very little girl to her house without you.

I couldn't stay as I am recovering from that nasty virus going around that turnned into broncititis. Besides I knew the other mom that was staying.

Its not like the woman was giving off bad vibes or something.

And wouldn't you bring something for the mom, not the kid for hostess gift at this age? Someone asked not long ago about taking a present to a child hosting a sleepover so maybe things are changing.

Oh, please don't tell me this is the new thing! It sure seems like our culture now barely needs an excuse to give our kids more gifts and "celebrate" them at every turn. Not that I don't think we should celebrate our kids. But just for having a sleepover now?! Just another expense and thing to add to the "to-do" list of guests' mothers! I miss the good ole days where kids didn't even expect birthday party favor bags!

I can't imagine keeping cookies decorated by 3-6year olds. First of all, I am sure those kids wanted to take their own cookies home. Second, anyone who has ever watched a group of young children decorate cookies, knows that only a blood relative (or maybe a teenage boy) would eat such a cookie. :ack2: There is way too much finger licking going on. :lol:

That's what I was thinking. My first thought was that maybe the cookies got burnt or something, but then the OP said that they were already baked and the kids just decorated them. Why would you provide all the stuff for cookie decorating, and let a bunch of little kids go to town on your kitchen, and then steal the cookies from them?

Loony toons, if you ask me.

That's what I was thinking. My first thought was that maybe the cookies got burnt or something, but then the OP said that they were already baked and the kids just decorated them. Why would you provide all the stuff for cookie decorating, and let a bunch of little kids go to town on your kitchen, and then steal the cookies from them?

Loony toons, if you ask me.

Maybe she realized that her dd had a contagious virus and didn't want all the kids to get sick? I doubt it, though. That sounds somewhat reasonable and this lady doesn't seem too reasonable.

This whole thing is rather confusing to me and I'm not sure why you are friends with this woman, or are you just "friendly"? Do you generally enjoy her company, and your daughters friends or what is the situation (if you care to get into that!)?

The baby shower hosted by the 4yo is nuts and very tacky. I can't imagine a good friend wouldn't have told her that. But maybe she didn't mention her idea to anyone before sending out the invites. It wouldn't have occurred to me to bring a hostess gift to a baking party, but it's a nice idea. But that is COMPLETELY different than the hostess noting on the invite that gifts for her dd are expected...and along with SUGGESTIONS?! What in the world? And then to call you out on it when you arrived empty-handed, pointing out that she asked for gifts on the invite? Ok, now I can see how you wouldn't address any of these etiquette infractions (unless you're super bold and an in-your-face confrontational type), BUT...

I can't imagine the nerve of anyone stealing a bunch of preschoolers' (nasty-looking to boot) cookies that they so proudly and painstakingly made. That breaks my heart! I am shocked that not one mother called her out on this one. I think you need to address this, and even nicely ask for your dd's darn cookies back!!! I'd tell her the story you got from your dd, as well as the story from your (nameless) friend regarding her equally upset dd. Maybe allow that there was a misunderstanding. I'd even start the conversation by asking if you could pop right over NOW to pick up the cookies, because dd was really confused by her keeping the cookies. I would get those darn cookies back, and THEN let her have a piece of your mind. Nicely...I guess. Since she must just be absolutely clueless. You'd be doing her and her dd a huge favor. Neither of them are going to have any friends soon enough. Sad.

Wow. We had a "cookie baking party" at my house recently, aka I invited some friends and their kids over. One was ill, so we only baked cookies with one family (still 5 additional kids) and I sent them home with pretty much ALL the cookies... and still felt guilty for keeping a few!

This party sounds ridiculously selfish and greedy. Lame.

:lol: She probably bagged them for the church Christmas bazaar.

I'm surprised she gave the op back her baking pan.

Did she keep the apron? :tongue_smilie:

This woman needs a come-to-Jesus talk about emotionally abusing small children. The ones giving her this eye opening should be the mothers of these abused children. She's either in danger mentally and that needs addressing, or she is a giant jerk who needs "trained" what happens when she takes terrible advantage of little kids. What a weird woman. I feel sorry for her child/ children.

That mom is brilliant! She got gifts and cookies. I'm always amazed at people like that.

Maybe I can learn something from this weird event. I can have a "House Cleaning Party". I'll get the kids bring their own swiffers and a snack to share. They can clean while I eat. What do you think?

I've known lots of moms who organize various "parties" or activities with all sorts of themes.

Sometimes the moms will organize this and have everyone contribute something. Ie-bring an apron and baking pan or perhaps some cookie ingredients to a cookie party.

The gift thing was tacky. (Unless it was actually some sort of birthday party.) Although a hostess gift is always appropriate, if you are so inclined. A polite hostess never asks for such a thing.

Also, don't have a pack of kids over when your kids is unquestionably ill. Better to cancel than spread disease.

Keeping the cookies and lying about it--beyond weird, rude, and unkind.

There is a mom in our neighborhood who is like this. I am pretty sure she has Bipolar Disorder. She acts noticeably erratic when she is pregnant, which makes me think she's gone off her mood stabilizers. Throwing a kid party and keeping the cookies would be right up her alley. We moms treat her with kid gloves, but we try to keep her kids involved in the community since they will clearly need stable adults to turn to as they get older.

Good luck with her! She is going to be a challenge.

If the cookies were prebaked by the host, why were the children supposed to bring a baking pan?

This sounds weirder and weirder.

Sounded to me like the pre-baked cookies were for the younger crowd to decorate and the older girls actually baked.