Menu

Do you ever avoid letting people know you are a Christian (CC obviously)?

Do you ever avoid letting people know you are a Christian? I find that I don't want to advertise my status as a Christian on my car, online, in person with acquaintances, etc.

Why?

Because I grew up with an atheist dad who commented regularly on how those Christians were the biggest jerks on the road. How did he know what they believed? By the bumper stickers or fish symbol on their car, of course.

So, I have no bumper stickers or fish symbols on my car. I'm not a perfect driver. I tend towards being distracted easily. I know I've cut people off unintentionally when I didn't see them in my blind spot. If I'm lost or feeling rushed from being late, my driving gets bad. I don't want to negatively affect people's feelings about Christianity just because I get distracted or make mistakes in my driving.

Same with real life encounters. I don't want my mistakes, my flaws to reflect negatively on Christ. I mean I forget things. I make mistakes. I get angry. I've lost my temper with my kids. These aren't God's fault, but people do look at us Christians and judge God harshly by our human-ness.

So, I tend to hide the fact that I'm Christian for others until I feel safe around them...or until I find out they share my beliefs.

My science thread is an example. When I was asked which curriculum had those experiments, I didn't want to say because they were in a creation-based text. Now we all are a bunch of monsters who torture (I used the term facetiously) animals, all in the name of God. :glare: The truth is these textbooks and experiments have increased our respect for and awe for these creatures and their creator. He created some amazing beautiful, creative, colorful, interesting, etc. etc. etc. animals.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you ever avoid letting people know you are a Christian? I find that I don't want to advertise my status as a Christian on my car, online, in person with acquaintances, etc.

Why?

I don't share it in person, often, because I sometimes feel tension after I share it with acquaintances. In general, I'm a non-confrontational person. So, I'll gloss over it by changing the subject to the weather or his/her pet cat. (Not that that is a good thing, necessarily.) Another reason is that I think my faith comes through my words and actions. People don't always understand why they see something different in me; they just know I'm "different" and it's not my (self-diagnosed) Asperger's. Well, at least I think not...:D

Online, I'm more likely to share, because it'll come out some way! Might as well be real, because when I try to be whatever else, I have these second thoughts after I "submit reply" and all I need is internet regret on top of my daily stress. :tongue_smilie:

Because I grew up with an atheist dad who commented regularly on how those Christians were the biggest jerks on the road. How did he know what they believed? By the bumper stickers or fish symbol on their car, of course.

So, I have no bumper stickers or fish symbols on my car. I'm not a perfect driver. I tend towards being distracted easily. I know I've cut people off unintentionally when I didn't see them in my blind spot. If I'm lost or feeling rushed from being late, my driving gets bad. I don't want to negatively affect people's feelings about Christianity just because I get distracted or make mistakes in my driving.

I don't have a fish on my car, either, and even hesitate to wear Christian T-shirts. It's too much pressure to live up to it all the time! I really appreciate your perspective that it might give someone a negative view of Christ...that's a better reason than mine!

Actually, when I make a mistake on the road, I yell (not out the window), "Sorry! I'm not from around here! I'm from TN; see my plates? SORRY!" :tongue_smilie: That makes me feel better.

Same with real life encounters. I don't want my mistakes, my flaws to reflect negatively on Christ. I mean I forget things. I make mistakes. I get angry. I've lost my temper with my kids. These aren't God's fault, but people do look at us Christians and judge God harshly by our human-ness.

So, I tend to hide the fact that I'm Christian for others until I feel safe around them...or until I find out they share my beliefs.

My science thread is an example. When I was asked which curriculum had those experiments, I didn't want to say because they were in a creation-based text. Now we all are a bunch of monsters who torture (I used the term facetiously) animals, all in the name of God. :glare: The truth is these textbooks and experiments have increased our respect for and awe for these creatures and their creator. He created some amazing beautiful, creative, colorful, interesting, etc. etc. etc. animals.

Do you feel badly about hesitating in sharing? I'm learning to be okay with trusting God even in what I say and don't say around folk. If I feel led to share, then I will. If I feel that it's okay not to talk about it, I won't. I have the Spirit, by faith, as my Guide. :)

(But, of course, I'm learning by falling. A lot. It's all good. :tongue_smilie:)

I don't have a bumper sticker or fish sticker because I have an issue with pop culture Christianity, but not because I am not wanting people to know that I believe in a God who is far bigger than my mistakes.

Most people know fairly quickly that I am a believer, even if I don't say anything. At work people spread the word quickly for example. I was known as the "little church girl" at the first school I worked at. Funny that those same folks who joked around about it (I never took it as really mean) were the same folks who came to me when they had a problem and asked me to pray about it.

Dawn

Do you feel badly about hesitating in sharing?

Avoiding it seems to go against our call to spread our faith.

Married to a pastor in a small community, they've all passed judgement on me.:D

I get it. I married someone who was working on obtaining his youth ministry degree. I had to consider whether I was willing to live in a fish bowl. Regardless, that's not the path we've ended up taking; our first try out was a horrible, awful, nasty, hurtful, disaster that we've never really recovered from.

My science thread is an example. When I was asked which curriculum had those experiments, I didn't want to say because they were in a creation-based text. Now we all are a bunch of monsters who torture (I used the term facetiously) animals, all in the name of God. :glare:

If people are going to be like that, they have issues with maturity. It is amazing how old immature people can be. :glare: While I understand why you'd want to hide, remember it is them, not you.

And while a few on that thread said they wouldn't perform those sorts of experiments for religious reasons, it doesn't follow that they consider all Christians a bunch of God-sanctioned animal torturers. That's quite a leap to take, isn't it? ;) And if they do, they are the ones overreacting and you can't help that.

Rosie

I don't have stickers on my car or anything (I am not a sticker person to begin with) I have no issue sharing my faith. I hate to think I missed an opportunity to witness to others because I was timid. I do know times when not to talk about it though religion and politics are both hot topics in my family. We have about 30 family members locally and we are the only conservative Christan's (Baptist). I have one Aunt who is Christian but she isn't big on talking faith when we are in family settings.

I get it. I married someone who was working on obtaining his youth ministry degree. I had to consider whether I was willing to live in a fish bowl. Regardless, that's not the path we've ended up taking; our first try out was a horrible, awful, nasty, hurtful, disaster that we've never really recovered from.

:( I'm sorry. It hasn't been like that for us but not like a big city where you can get out and people don't know you. It must be extra difficult for you after being burned badly.

I'm not sure if this is right or not, but I sometimes think about Jesus when He walked the earth. He didn't heal every single person on earth when He was here; rather, He healed everyone whom the Father had given Him. He was able to say, "It is finished" at the end of His earthly ministry. He did share Truth with everyone He met, but He started with the person and his needs...

I don't know...

Also, do you think you're experiencing feelings of condemnation, or is more a feeling of discipline? Condemnation makes me feel hopeless and leads often to passivity. When I see it, instead, as discipline from my Heavenly Father, it gives me hope that He cares about my growth and is training me to be more Christ-like. It leads to activity...

I don't put stickers on my car or wear clothing that advertises *anything* (except for my 50th anniversary Micky Mouse hoodie :D). I just don't feel the need to do that, and it isn't because I'm hiding anything. I hate nasty, fading, peeling car stickers, and generally, I think clothing that advertises anything is just gauche.

I'd rather have my actions speak louder than my t-shirt, KWIM? I don't need to wear Jesus on my body or my car in order to be a witness.

Dh and I were just talking about this as I was bringing up the WTM bookmark to check out the hive this evening. Weird. It started because of a video he showed in youth at our church this evening.

Anyway, dh and I both wear christian themed t-shirts from time to time. We let it be known that we go to church and leave it to the individual person to inquire farther. If they "move on' from that part of the conversation quickly, we try not to be 'in your face' about our faith and hope that God will open a door someday. If they inquire about our faith, we will share as much as they are willing to listen to.

I try not to talk 'churchy' kwim? But I will ask to pray if someone is having problems or get permission to put them on the prayer list. If I can bring up my testimony, if it is applicable, then I will.

As far as the car goes...I know what you mean about people judging Christianity by your driving and that concerns me as well. I don't have any faith insignia on my car for that reason but, I might be giving homeschoolers a bad name with my driving :tongue_smilie:. I have the VA homeschool tag.

After looong debate with myself, I decided to include "follower of Christ" in my sig line. I try not to get myself too deep in any knock-down, drag-out threads because of it. In the end though, I felt strongly about putting it out there. I have no regrets about that.

:grouphug:

I knew you were being facetious.

To answer your question: I don't hide it, I don't advertise it.

"I yam what I yam." ;)

Others will respond (to your other post the way they did) because ...they are who they are.

I know...that's deep, lol!

It's late and I should just go to bed. I just don't think you should feel bad about your other post.

Ok, sorry, I just read the thread about the science experiments. I think Rosie makes a good point, that even if others don't agree with the science experiments on religious grounds, it doesn't necessarily follow that they are judging your faith...on the other hand, I would feel similarly...except that I would probably be more selfish in my thinking..."Wow, that didn't work. I'm not coming back to this forum for a long. time." But the concern you reveal for the Lord's testimony is beautiful. Sorry if my other posts are totally off the mark. Should've read the science thread first! Oops!

:grouphug:

Why?

Joann, part of the reason you feel that way is because you live in Washington state. People in WA are pretty courteous drivers, but I have seen one too many vehicles vandalized because they had a conservative bumper sticker.

The other day someone in a car with a fish on it cut me off. I don't advertise any of my beliefs, values, or political persuasion on my car for fear that it will be vandalized and also because I might accidentally make a mistake and cut someone off and all of Christianity will be judged harshly because I wasn't paying close enough attention. :D

That doesn't really apply to me, LOL, but I don't want to advertise my atheism or political views with bumper stickers etc. cause I'm afraid of p!ssing off some nutter who'll slash my tires or stalk my family. Seriously.

I don't like such advertisements anyway, I mean it's not like you're striking up a conversation with the other drivers on the road is it? IMO it's just an in your face statement that will either have people nodding and smiling or flipping you off and trying to cut you off, or they just don't care. I don't think people care that I don't have any bumper stickers on my car, to my knowledge no one has ever treated me badly in a parking lot for NOT having them. :D

I had to consider whether I was willing to live in a fish bowl. Regardless, that's not the path we've ended up taking; our first try out was a horrible, awful, nasty, hurtful, disaster that we've never really recovered from.

Yeah, you don't want to live in a fishbowl. Someone might torture you by shining a light bulb on you for two hours a day. ;) :tongue_smilie: hehehehe

I'm sorry! I KNOW that was a horrible joke, but when you mentioned fish bowl I thought it might make you smile in light of your other thread. ;) No torture was intended with my silly sense of humor I assure you! ;) :grouphug:

For me, I don't have bumper stickers or fish on my car either, but that's mainly because I'm an auto detailer and having stickers or other such things on the car break me out in hives. ;) :tongue_smilie:

I don't necessarily go around waving a Christian Flag or wear a button on my shirt that says, "Hi I'm a Christian. Ask me about Jesus." I'd personally rather let it show through my actions and make people wonder what is different about me. But I definitely don't hide it in conversation. If someone brings up something, I will say, "Well, I'm a Christian so something like that really goes against my core beliefs."

I'm not a walking advertisement for a Jesus junk store. LOL. I don't buy Jesus tshirts or stickers or ties or socks.

But I don't make any attempts to hide that I'm a Christian.

I imagine there are passing folks who never discover I'm a Christian. For example, I didn't bring up Christianity with the cashier who was ringing up my fish and tomatoes today. BUT if you spend any amount of time with me, it is going to come up in the conversation. Not because I'm trying to witness to you necessarily, but because my life revolves around Him. For me, it would be like being married and no one knowing I had a spouse. How weird would that be?

I grew up in the preacher's kid fishbowl life. I refuse to live that way any more.

Just be yourself.

Well, I don't like bumper stickers or facebook-forwardy kind of stuff ("Post this if Jesus is your Lord!") because I hate reducing my awe-inducing, mighty, loving, amazing God to anything that smacks of a marketing tool. It makes feel like I am cheapening God.

I truly mean no offense to anyone who likes fish symbols or bumper stickers or facebook proclamations. But I can't help it, I'm just wired like that. It makes me feel weird.

I often hold back from posting on this board because my writing can't do my Lord justice. It's a shame, but it's true.

In person, however, I feel totally comfortable with my faith being evident. It's such a defining component of my life--to keep it under wraps would be a distortion of who I am. I don't have enough subterfuge in me.

I know what you describe. Sometimes I just don't want to be rejected or viewed as a "right-wing, evangelistical nut." Many people who think all Christians must be extremists think themselves objective and well-balanced. :glare:

Sometimes I don't have the energy to explain my views and sometimes I do.

I don't have stickers on my car either and probably won't. I don't think it means we are less of a Christian than those who do.

I always liked the statement: "Witness always, when necessary use words."

I'm not a walking advertisement for a Jesus junk store. LOL. I don't buy Jesus tshirts or stickers or ties or socks.

But I don't make any attempts to hide that I'm a Christian.

I imagine there are passing folks who never discover I'm a Christian. For example, I didn't bring up Christianity with the cashier who was ringing up my fish and tomatoes today. BUT if you spend any amount of time with me, it is going to come up in the conversation. Not because I'm trying to witness to you necessarily, but because my life revolves around Him. For me, it would be like being married and no one knowing I had a spouse. How weird would that be?

:iagree:Exactly. Jesus saved my life. Now, He is my life. I can't hide my love for Him. I can't help but let His presense inside me reflect to the outside. I'd shout my love for Him from the mountain tops if I could get up there. No. I never conceal my Christianity. What someone else says or does about it is of no concern to me.

While I get that you don't want others to see your mistakes and then blame it on God, I also wanted to call you attention to the fact that Christ died for the ungodly. Share when you feel led, and keep quiet when led as well. But remember that Christ is far bigger than our mistakes. We're going to mess up.period. When we recognize our sins, we can make restitution to those we've hurt and that is a great witness. That's what shows the difference Christ makes in our lives.

I have a friend from high school that I reconnected with on facebook. She's pagan and made a comment about building an altar last spring. I asked, "Really?" That was my only comment but unfortunately because of some, she immediately thought I was condemning her. I was truly curious because at times, you can't tell if she's joking or serious. We dealt with it privately and in the end, she said I had a lot of class. She wasn't expecting me to apologize for offending her. But when I did, THAT is what made the difference. So my point is, don't be afraid to be who you are...just don't be a hypocrite. Ime, hypocrisy is what really turns the attitude negative towards God.

Ime, hypocrisy is what really turns the attitude negative towards God.

Very true. I am always saddened when I read how someone was turned off Christianity because of an overzealous "converter" they encountered at some point in life - or of some seriously flawed opinions loudly voiced with the expectation that all comply without questioning anything.

For my type of personality, I think I can witness much more effectively with my actions and with politeness and warmth and compassion.

Well, I don't like bumper stickers or facebook-forwardy kind of stuff ("Post this if Jesus is your Lord!") because I hate reducing my awe-inducing, mighty, loving, amazing God to anything that smacks of a marketing tool. It makes feel like I am cheapening God.

(I hope you don't mind an agnostic crashing your thread).

Those kinds of forwardy, facebook things always struck me as another form of "slacktivism." Much like the "post your bra color to raise awareness of breast cancer" thing - it doesn't actually help anything: it's not raising money for cancer research, or helping a friend get to therapy, or watching a neighbor's children while he gets his wife to the doctor, etc. The Christian things are similar. Saying that Jesus is your reason for living, but still complaining about your neighbors, ranting about your children's behavior, etc really makes it seem like your "Christianity" is just a tagline at FB.

And yeah, I know that you can be a complainer and still Christian, but still.

FWIW, I often hesitate to tell people we're largely unbelievers. There's a large faction of people who assume that if you don't participate in a religion, then you must be a lawless, unethical murderer who eats kittens. I've had neighbors look at me differently once I outed myself.

Some people stand on corners holding signs proclaiming Christ. Others are international missionaries. Some are pastors. Some cover your windshield (and thus the parking lots) with newsletters for their ministry:glare:. Some wear Christian T-shirts and have bumper stickers. Some people go door to door. There are myriad ways to proclaim Christ. If none of these ways seems right for me, I don't think that means I'm hiding my Christianity or failing to proclaim Him--it just means I have other ways that seem more appropriate for my personality and spiritual gifts!

I'm not shy about telling people that I'm a Christian. I would be shocked if anyone I know IRL didn't know that I'm a Christian. Amazingly, I've managed this without a bumper sticker.:D

One reason I personally don't do bumper stickers is like Joann-- I don't want to cause an, "Isn't that ironic?" moment on the freeway. If someone I know IRL were to see me slip up, I would try to rectify and repair the situation. I can't do that with a stranger on the freeway.

I can think of only one time that I've intentionally hid the fact that I was a Christian. When I was 15, my youth group stayed the night at a church in Las Vegas on the way to camp in CA. We spent the early evening walking the strip to see the various outdoor shows--pirates, volcanoes, water fountains, etc. Unfortunately, when we stopped into a casino for a drink of water, a 17-year-old in our group convinced her mother (one of three chaperones) to go put a few quarters in a slot machine for her.:glare:

The evening went downhill from there. Other younger kids passed money to the leaders. We spent an hour milling around adults who were drinking, cussing, dressed skimpily, and of course, gambling. My best friend and I were not OK with this. I was especially concerned about my very impressionistic, "follower", 12-year-old sister. When we respectfully brought our concerns to the leaders, we were pooh-poohed. Had we been 18 and/or had a car and a safe place to go, we would have left. If I'd been in a similar situation near home, I would have left. However, since we were forced to remain with the group against our consciences, we chose to remove our prominent cross necklaces so we wouldn't be broadcasting that we were Christians.

I used to. It took me years to feel comfy even referencing prayer or church. I've decided I have no reason to be ashamed of the gospel of Christ & now I have it in my siggy on both of my message boards. People IRL generally assume or ask outright (living in a highly religious area).

I don't generalize people.

I probably say that I am Christian more often online than IRL but I don't feel hesitant about sharing that.

I don't put things on my car because dh doesn't like things on the cars. My car when we were dating had a bumper stickers that said "Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!" and "Red meat isn't bad for you, fuzzy green meat is bad for you" on it. When we got "our" first car he said I couldn't stick stickers on it. :(

I have one that says "I aim to MISBEHAVE!!" that I am really tempted to stick on a car to see how long it takes for him to notice.

Edited by Sis

I don't know that I 'avoid' letting people know I'm a 'Christian' . . . even the word many use to describe themselves as a Jesus-Follower sometimes feels outdated to me. 'Christian' or 'saved' . . . all that sort of Christianeeze lingo isn't part of my everyday vocabularly.

Awhile ago, our pastor mentioned that the church is the only institution that doesn't truly exist for the church members but for those who haven't found Jesus, yet. I like that approach.

So, no, I don't shout the name of Jesus while standing on my rooftop, though I would if I felt Jesus calling me to that. The best way for me to live the name of Jesus is to be proactively building non-agenda relationships with my friends and neighbours. Loving people well, being willing to seek first to understand before I try to be understood (Covey), wait to be asked, include and gather in people who may be looking for Someone that they don't really know even exists as a Friend.

I love Jesus, I love our Church, I love loving people --- but I also try to remember that for many folks, as soon as they know I'm a God-Lover, their veil drops and they hold me at arms-length or more, so I carefully walk alongside people who have no God-Grid and try to hear from God if or when I should make a formal introduction. :)

Sometimes, I think this 'come alongside' bit might offend the more outwardly spoken Christians in my community. We're all so different and what works for one person completely offends another. I want to be in relationship with people who don't know God and that can be messy. I'm excited to read Rob Bell's new book about loving people well.

Warmly, Tricia

Once in a while, at my church, especially, I will not introduce myself to strangers as Chris, The Priest's Wife. I guess that's along the same lines--both are hiding a crucial point of identity and relationship based on not wanting to deal with expectations.

They all find out, eventually; I'm the only one dh kisses.

Why?

Yep, this exactly. About the fish.

There was no way of hiding I was a Christian, or at least religious (in any face-to-face encounter), since my clothing gave me away (head-covering, etc.)

My Dad, also a non-believer, was in law enforcement. He told me as a kid, "I automatically know who the worst folks are when I pull them over. They're the first to tell me they're good Christians, when I have them dead-to-rights that they're breaking the law." Which is not to say that folks should have to hide their beliefs--but in this situation, when one's been doing a naughty :), and one tries to deflect it by brandishing their religion--well, law enforcement is on to that :)

While I get that you don't want others to see your mistakes and then blame it on God, I also wanted to call you attention to the fact that Christ died for the ungodly. Share when you feel led, and keep quiet when led as well. But remember that Christ is far bigger than our mistakes. We're going to mess up.period. When we recognize our sins, we can make restitution to those we've hurt and that is a great witness. That's what shows the difference Christ makes in our lives.

I have a friend from high school that I reconnected with on facebook. She's pagan and made a comment about building an altar last spring. I asked, "Really?" That was my only comment but unfortunately because of some, she immediately thought I was condemning her. I was truly curious because at times, you can't tell if she's joking or serious. We dealt with it privately and in the end, she said I had a lot of class. She wasn't expecting me to apologize for offending her. But when I did, THAT is what made the difference. So my point is, don't be afraid to be who you are...just don't be a hypocrite. Ime, hypocrisy is what really turns the attitude negative towards God.

FB is hard because just a short statement can be taken so many ways. "Really?" definitely can.

Instead, you might something that more clearly shows your interest/curiosity.

"Ohh, really! What's that like?" Or, "tell me more about that." If that's what you meant by "really?"

It just avoids miscommunication.

:)

For what it's worth, knowing that the curriculum you are using in Christian-based doesn't make me feel negative about Christianity. I know many Christians and interact with them regularly and know that they are not monsters.

I am, I'll admit, appalled by some of the "experiments" those curricula apparently recommend. But the whole thing just goes into my "what's wrong with the world" file, not any non-existent anti-Christian file.

Hmmm, I have commented to the kids about seeing a fish stuck on a beemer. It seemed a bit incongruous and we had just studied St. Francis of Assisi. It prompted a good conversation about what Christianity preaches versus what actual, factual Christians do. I doubt that's what the beemer's owner was aiming at, but his fish was an interesting witness.

Just on a side note, I'm always amazed that Christians wear the t-shirts that have corporate logos with Jesus instead of the brand (Reeses, Budweiser, Burger King). I'm not a Christian and I think they're offensive to Christianity. I mean if an atheist was wearing one of those, I'd think they were way over-the-top and aggressive in promoting their pov. But the wearers are invariably people who are Christian! :blink:

Hmmm. Maybe I'll put a PETA bumper sticker on my car.

:lol:

Just to make PETA look bad?

Please don't misunderstand: Despite my vegan, animal-welfare outlook on life, I'm not a fan of PETA. But still, I wonder how others here would feel if I suggested I might put a little fish decal on my car just for the purpose of doing something similar . . .

I don't advertise it, but not because I'm ashamed or afraid of what people will think of me. I'll share my faith with anyone who cares to listen. :)

I'm also not a fan of religious jewelry, stickers, t-shirts, etc. I'd rather people judge me based on getting to know me, rather than by what I'm wearing.

I'm not much into bumper stickers. I have a crucifix I wear a couple times a year. I don't think I have a cross/crucifix among my many, many earrings. Not because I'm ashamed, just because I don't see the need. If anyone cares to ask, I'll tell. Other than that, unless I meet someone new in church or on the chruch grounds, my religion doesn't all that often come up in conversation.

I talk more about Christianity/Catholicism here on these boards than I do any where else.

Just to make PETA look bad?

Please don't misunderstand: Despite my vegan, animal-welfare outlook on life, I'm not a fan of PETA. But still, I wonder how others here would feel if I suggested I might put a little fish decal on my car just for the purpose of doing something similar . . .

As Rainman would say, "I'm an EXCELLENT driver."

And I'm as fond of bedbugs as the next person.

:auto:

Re: the BMW, taken to its natural conclusion, it's incongruous for Christians to have expensive cars, expensive houses,expensive vacations, expensive educations. Of course many people who can afford some of these things also tithe. But, if you have enough leftover wealth to still buy a BMW, does that still make you appear less Christian? (perhaps) How far down the automotive totem do you need to drop before your purchase is no longer conspicuously incongruent? (Camry? Buick? Chevy?)

By the standards of much of the rest of the world, owning a car is an extravagance. So, can ANY vehicle carry Christian symbolism without indentifying its owner as being in the wealthy quarter of the planet?

Would it be awful if Bill Gates or Warren Buffett identified themselves as Christian (I have no idea if they are) because of their inherent wealth?

Can any of us measure up to St. Francis of Assisi?

Or should I cluck at the clueless Beemer people because I drive a Ford (although I own an inground pool?) Just tossing this out there as food for thought.

I know what you mean. Sometimes, I do seriously consider playing it cool and keeping my light under a bushel, so to speak. I know why you worry too (whoever denies Me, right?). It's funny, because my worst moments are those when I'm listening to people talk about the Fundies running everything. All I can think about is, if they did then WHY do I feel like a leper?!? I should feel like queen of the world.

As Rainman would say, "I'm an EXCELLENT driver."

And I'm as fond of bedbugs as the next person.

:auto:

Re: the BMW, taken to its natural conclusion, it's incongruous for Christians to have expensive cars, expensive houses,expensive vacations, expensive educations. Of course many people who can afford some of these things also tithe. But, if you have enough leftover wealth to still buy a BMW, does that still make you appear less Christian? (perhaps) How far down the automotive totem do you need to drop before your purchase is no longer conspicuously incongruent? (Camry? Buick? Chevy?)

By the standards of much of the rest of the world, owning a car is an extravagance. So, can ANY vehicle carry Christian symbolism without indentifying its owner as being in the wealthy quarter of the planet?

Would it be awful if Bill Gates or Warren Buffett identified themselves as Christian (I have no idea if they are) because of their inherent wealth?

Can any of us measure up to St. Francis of Assisi?

Or should I cluck at the clueless Beemer people because I drive a Ford (although I own an inground pool?) Just tossing this out there as food for thought.

:iagree: I had someone tell me it was harder to be a wealthy Christian, because the poor are assumed to be humble and meek, but the wealthy are assumed to have tread on people and ignored needs. Some of the most giving Christians I know are wealthy. As the good book says, "Give and it shall be given unto you... good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over." While not all of us have an overabundance of money as our blessings, most (all?) have a cup that's overflowing.

A friend said he was Buddhist during a discussion on fb to clarify WHY he felt a particular way. I made the mistake of replying with "Ah, that makes sense then." He flipped out. Ranted about Fundies and hypocrisy and how I refused to consider his opinion because of my faith...

:001_huh:

We worked it out as well, but I had to dig through his stereotypes before he finally understood that what I meant was, "Ah, that makes sense," and not "Ah, so you are an unbeliever going to burn in hell for eternity you evil bad word bad word bad word." :glare: We've moved on since, we respect each other, but we still have moments when I have to ask him to reread what I posted without making assumption.

Sometimes the hypocrisy is assumed (most of time?) and THAT is a hard bridge to cross for all involved. Apologies can work, explanations can help, but sometimes people believe what they want to believe and refuse to consider anything else.

Interesting questions, all.

Have you heard the story about the family that sold their expensive home and gave half of the money to charity? The decision was sparked by the daughter noticing a homeless man on one side of their car and a person in a Mercedes on the other. They wrote a book about their experiences:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Power-of-Half/Kevin-Salwen/e/9780547394541/?itm=1&USRI=the+power+of+half+one+family%27s+decision+to+stop

I admire those folks so much. I have no idea about their religion.

The whole car thing is a sore point with me these days. I recently posted asking people to talk me out of buying a relatively expensive car with less-than-stellar gas mileage. And, despite their help, I'm probably going to buy it, anyway. I've thought it out very carefully and, I believe, balanced the pros and cons. But I do wonder how this choice will be perceived and what assumptions others will make about me, especially the other folks at my church, whose parking lot is filled with hybrids and other high-mileage vehicles. (Seriously, I counted a couple of weeks ago: Our smallish church had four MINI Coopers, three SmartCars, two Camry hybrids and five Prii.)

Sigh. I'm rambling.

This thread did make me think about how I function as a religious person, though. I'm in a strange place, since I'm more religious than many of my close friends but am not Christian (or anything recognizable to most of my more conservative acquaintances). My non- or not-very-religious friends seem to see my beliefs and my attempts to live by them as a possibly endearing quirk. My Christian acquaintances see me as objectionably liberal and not a believer.

So, honestly, while I don't think I "hide" my beliefs, I do sometimes choose not to mention them in mixed company. I will, for example, talk about going to church when I'm chatting with the parents of my son's choirmates. But I might not bring up the fact that a group from my congregation marched in the gay pride parade the previous weekend.

Meanwhile, my son is going to be trying to raise money to go the Europe with his choir. And I find myself doubting the members of our church will be interested in buying the CDs he'll be trying to sell because the music is too Christian.

For what it's worth, I do have a chalice decal (the symbol of my denomination) on my car. I doubt most people know what it is, though.

(I hope you don't mind an agnostic crashing your thread).

Those kinds of forwardy, facebook things always struck me as another form of "slacktivism." Much like the "post your bra color to raise awareness of breast cancer" thing - it doesn't actually help anything: it's not raising money for cancer research, or helping a friend get to therapy, or watching a neighbor's children while he gets his wife to the doctor, etc. The Christian things are similar. Saying that Jesus is your reason for living, but still complaining about your neighbors, ranting about your children's behavior, etc really makes it seem like your "Christianity" is just a tagline at FB.

:iagree:

I never do that stuff on FB. Blech.

Personal witnessing is far more effective than random bumper stickers, whether those are on your car on on your body.

I like what St. Francis said: Preach always, and if necessary, use words.

Don't beat yourself up if you don't like bumper stickers. Millions of people have come into the Kingdom of God without them and they'll continue to do so as Christians continue to preach, sometimes even using words.

Looking at it from the outside, I'd say that an expensive car, house, vacation, etc. is incongruous with being a Christian. There are a lot of admonitions against worldly wealth throughout the New Testament. OTOH, I think it's completely necessary for most Americans to own a car to get around. I don't the begrudge priests at the local parish dc attend their cars. They couldn't perform their duties without them. But, they're just utilitarian, inexpensive cars that get them where they need to go. The three priests have to share a fairly old, fairly small house. They don't get many creature comforts. They aren't walking around with a begging bowl, but I think they do try to live as materially simple a life as they can in suburban America.

Edited by chiguirre

I often hesitate to mention that I am not Christian. Around here (where I live) it is simply assumed that you are. When you add in that fact that I have six kids, homeschool and believe in God well, people are always surprised to hear that I am not. I also find that it seems to be much more difficult for people to wrap their mind around someone who believes in God but does not belong to any religion.

That doesn't really apply to me, LOL, but I don't want to advertise my atheism or political views with bumper stickers etc. cause I'm afraid of p!ssing off some nutter who'll slash my tires or stalk my family. Seriously.

I don't like such advertisements anyway, I mean it's not like you're striking up a conversation with the other drivers on the road is it? IMO it's just an in your face statement that will either have people nodding and smiling or flipping you off and trying to cut you off, or they just don't care. I don't think people care that I don't have any bumper stickers on my car, to my knowledge no one has ever treated me badly in a parking lot for NOT having them. :D

Yeah, I'm on this side of things as well. I'm the opposite of the OP, I was raised Catholic and am now atheist, but I don't tell people. My mom, sensing that I was no longer quite as faithful as she would like came out and said "But, you're not an atheist, right?" I guess she could handle anything I believed as long as it wasn't the one thing she disapproved of. I just said I wasn't an atheist. It took me years and years to come to the conclusion that I don't believe in God, and it was not an easy process. It's not something I want to rehash with my mom in a quick conversation because I know she's just going to try to convince me that I'm wrong.

This past weekend the in-laws were visiting. My MIL was talking about the scientist Stephen Hawking, who I know she basically likes. But then she said "But I don't get how he can be an atheist. That's so weird." Um, okay. I guess I can't tell her the truth either.

Around here, everyone assumes you're Christian so they don't mind ripping on atheism, assuming they're safe to do so because they won't offend anyone. Except it is hurtful.