Menu

Do you teach your children that your faith is the only correct one?

Whatever that may be, of course. When DD6 and I discuss issues of faith, I'm always careful to explain what I believe and what many others believe in terms of "beliefs" rather than right or wrong--partly because DH is still Christian (though he hasn't really practiced in many years) and partly because, while I hold my own beliefs very strongly, I'm also still willing to admit that I could be incorrect. Given the diverse beliefs across the world we live in, I'm always shocked when I meet someone or come across someone's writing online that discusses teaching their children how mistaken others are, with no possibility that there could be any other way. And this is on both sides of the fence--I have an atheist friend who would never in a million years consider teaching her child that any kind of god might possibly exist and refuses to even entertain the possibility.

Are those of us who allow space for other possibilities really such a tiny minority? If you don't allow space for other possibilities (as in, you teach your kids that anyone who does not believe as you believe is simply wrong and misguided), can you explain why?

(Standard disclaimer: Let's try to have a thoughtful conversation, be polite, not get the thread locked, etc.)

Thank you!

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely not!

I teach my children to search their own hearts for what they believe. I also tell them that what they believe will likely change many times in their lives as they learn more and mature, so not to be afraid when that happens.

Static unexamined faith is not something I wish for my children

Nope. I want my kids to believe primarily in tolerance. I'm willing to let my kids find their own paths, as long as they are truly convicted and at peace with their beliefs in the end. When they ask theological questions, I start with "some people believe..." and throw several options out there and then let the kids figure out what they believe is right. They're very quick to tell me their thoughts. Besides the fact that this encourages critical thinking, it lets them know that I think there's no one right way of believing. You're definitely not alone.

I teach my kids that our faith is the correct one and I teach them why. However, when we discuss other religions, we discuss them thoughtfully. I never allow my kids to mock or attack anyone who believes something different. I teach them how to share their faith when someone asks, but other than that, to just live properly.

We also focus on the importance of freedom of religion. That is the type of tolerance I really want to promote in them. They can be strong in their faith - strong enough to allow others to worship how they want while my kids stay true to theirs.

Interesting questions. I look forward to reading the responses. :)

I'm always shocked when I meet someone or come across someone's writing online that discusses teaching their children how mistaken others are, with no possibility that there could be any other way.

I am being very polite when I say this -- really I am.

I would not mind having a discussion about this, but your statement including the word "shocked" has already set it up so that those who would teach their children there is one Way are wrong, so I don't really see a possible discussion.

Well I absolutely believe that there is only one God and that our salvation comes only through the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. And that's the way I live my life so they definitely see that. But I also teach them that it is extremely important to respect others' beliefs and ideas. And I want them to listen to and care about others, no matter their beliefs. They see me living that way too. More than anything, I want them to be Jesus to the world.

I would definitely be sad if my children turned their back on God. That's why I spend so much time on my knees now.

Edited by Nakia

I teach my kids that our faith is the correct one and I teach them why. However, when we discuss other religions, we discuss them thoughtfully. I never allow my kids to mock or attack anyone who believes something different. I teach them how to share their faith when someone asks, but other than that, to just live properly.

We also focus on the importance of freedom of religion. That is the type of tolerance I really want to promote in them. They can be strong in their faith - strong enough to allow others to worship how they want while my kids stay true to theirs.

:iagree: totally. Well said.

No, I don't. But I used to (although my kids are so young they don't remember that).

It took undergoing a radical change in my own religious beliefs to abandon the belief that there is One True Path. If I hadn't had the experience of feeling so convinced of something's rightness and then being so convinced of its wrongness . . . I just wouldn't have been able to understand. Christians who KNOW Christianity is the one truth sound a lot like Muslims who KNOW Islam is the one truth.

Now, I consider it part of "walking humbly" with God to recognize that I do not know how God is working in the lives of others and I should not assume that my spiritual experiences are somehow more valid than theirs.

:iagree:

I'm not sure I can add anything here. When my dd sees and comments on other people behaving in ways that are contrary to our values, I try to explain that they simply don't believe the same way we do. I don't want her to see our values as something that is negotiable, but I also would never want her to become judgmental or self-righteous.

ETA: I also agree that when there is a difference of beliefs between spouses, you have to be very sensitive to that. I would never want to appear to tell my kids that their dad is "wrong".

Edited by bonniebeth4

Interesting questions. I look forward to reading the responses. :)

:iagree: Even though I teach my kids that our faith is the only true one, I also teach them to respect all people regardless of their beliefs. Just last weekend, there was a thread on facebook where posters were referring to people who disagree with them as morons. My dh called them on it, and they actually defended their words! Oh yeah, that's gonna make their faith attractive to those who don't hold it. NOT!

That my communion has the "fullness of truth." And there is more in common between us and other Christian denominations than there is difference. And Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and without Him there is no salvation. Other people are free to practice their religion as they see fit, but we teach our kids that freedom means that sometimes people get it wrong.

I don't understand syncretism, and I don't understand why anyone would cling to any belief system without believing that that it is somehow superior to the rest. I believe there are absolutes and non-negotiables, and that it's possible to discuss our divisions and distinctions charitably without saying truth is relative and immanent.

I think faith is a gift, and I don't believe there's any chance that I am wrong. I don't see this as boasting except "in the Lord," either. If I thought I was wrong, I think I would probably just want to kill myself. There would be no point in living and no consequence in dying. And I believe that conviction of belief is a strength, not a weakness.

Edited by Laura K (NC)

...Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life and no one comes to the Father except through Him. Having studied other cultures and religions, like another poster said, they've learned to love others and understand why they think the way that they do. MFW ECC last year really opened their eyes and gave them that love for others...praying through Window on the World was a great tool for them! The answer is yes, I do teach them that, but the Bible simplifies that for me because it's not me making that up but God's very Word that teaches it. :001_smile:

Teresa

Nope. I want my kids to believe primarily in tolerance. I'm willing to let my kids find their own paths, as long as they are truly convicted and at peace with their beliefs in the end. When they ask theological questions, I start with "some people believe..." and throw several options out there and then let the kids figure out what they believe is right. They're very quick to tell me their thoughts. Besides the fact that this encourages critical thinking, it lets them know that I think there's no one right way of believing. You're definitely not alone.

:iagree: Yes,exactly.

To answer the original question, no. I am trying to teach my dd to be strong in her faith, but to also welcome the insights of others.

I have had the privilege of meeting many inspired, dedicated followers of other faiths who have enriched my life and faith in myriad ways, and I don't want to prohibit dd from having those kinds of opportunities.

I'm trying to figure out how to say this without starting any drama:001_smile:

If a person doesn't believe in something with their whole heart, how can it really be true? I am certain without any doubt of any kind that my God is real, that He created the world as described in Genesis, that He sent His son, Jesus Christ, into this world to take my sin, and that Jesus died on the cross so that I am forgiven of my sins and can live with Him in Heaven-and also that I don't deserve any of it! It is a free gift. If I allow that any of this could be wrong...? That would be denying the whole of Christianity. It would be a sin. It would be blasphemy. I explain what others believe to my children (Hindu, Buddhist, atheist, etc), but always in the context of why and how that is wrong. Again, not trying to start a debate on Christianity here, but if a person believes in something, they need to stand up for it. We do not belittle or harass or talk negatively about those that believe differently, but discuss how and why they might have come to that belief. And always pray for them, have compassion for them, and help them.

I, like others have said, teach them that Jesus is the Way. I kinda figure, if he wasn't, why did God bother? But we also say at our house that we need to be kind, not condescending, and realize not everyone believes as we do. In fact, my son does not believe Jesus. It doesn't mean we ostracize or treat him worse because of it. We love him, not because he believes or doesn't believe, but because he is.

I'm always shocked when I meet someone or come across someone's writing online that discusses teaching their children how mistaken others are, with no possibility that there could be any other way. And this is on both sides of the fence--I have an atheist friend who would never in a million years consider teaching her child that any kind of god might possibly exist and refuses to even entertain the possibility.

I think I can understand the shock of that if taken from your POV. From my POV, God has proven Himself so often to me through my own prayers and His Word...honestly, from unbelievable, jaw-dropping miracles!! No one can take away my actual experience with Him in prayer and make me disbelieve my own practical experience of walking in the newness of life in Him and with Him. It's one of those things that someone could tell me the ocean water was bright orange today and I'd believe them more easily than ever disbelieving in Christ my Savior who is more real and more trustworthy than any human word or wisdom has or ever will be for me! He has given me new life. He has given me hope when I used to feel hopeless. He has RADICALLY changed my marriage, my mothering, my friendships, my thought-life, my view on the world I live in. He has given me peace at times when everything was absolute chaos and turmoil...unexplainable peace that no human or pill or drink or potion could even think of giving me!! He has done unexplainably beautiful things for me in unexplainable ways. Nothing can steal that from me. So if He has been that gracious, that loving, that amazing, that forgiving, that kind to me...how could I possibly tell my kids anything else? It would be me trying to be all politically correct in a situation that is so very, very far beyond political correctness. I'm not going to ever play games with them in such a way...I won't play games with God in such a way. His Word says for me to teach it to them when we are walking when we are at home, write it on my doorposts, etc. Love for Him drives me to do it...often it just comes bubbling up in such a way because I. AM. IN. AWE. OF. HIM!!!!!!!!

You asked. That is my heart-felt reply. It's from my experience and not me pointing a finger at anyone else for not doing it my way. I'm just saying.

Teresa

That my communion has the "fullness of truth." And there is more in common between us and other Christian denominations than there is difference. And Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and without Him there is no salvation. Other people are free to practice their religion as they see fit, but we teach our kids that freedom means that sometimes people get it wrong.

:iagree:

Yes, I do. Without hesitation. Now there are some particulars within my faith that I could be wrong about, but I believe that I am a sinner saved from eternal separation (hell) from God through faith in Jesus Christ. I believe that he died, was buried and rose again on the third day. I believe that he paid the price for my sins, and that there is no other way for this price to be paid.

Since I believe this with my entire heart, mind, & soul, how could I teach my children otherwise? Truth is truth. A cannot be A and not A in the same relationship at the same time. Either Jesus died for my sins or he didn't. Those are the only two possiblilites when it comes to my faith, and I believe he did.

Do I go around browbeating others? No. Do I tell my children to mock others? No. Do we discuss other religions, respectfully? Yes. Are we kind to people and friends with people who believe differently than us? Yes, without a doubt.

I teach my children that what we believe is Truth. And that there may be churches and people who are labeled 'Christian' who may or may not believe/practice the Truth, but that this does not negate the Truth of Christianity. We also teach them that others believe differently.

I tell my children what I believe (dh and I are often united on many things, but not all), why I believe it to be true, that others believe differently (although they know this just by being out and about in the world), and that there is every possibility in the world that I could be wrong, but that I do not think so... if I thought I was, I wouldn't believe it anymore. What would be the point? :D

ETA: I am speaking of any belief here, btw, not just spiritual belief. I have also shared with my children areas where I have changed my beliefs/ opinions when evidence contradicted my original beliefs and forced me to change them. We have also done this with examples form history as well (slavery, flat earth, etc).

Edited by Tutor

I think we all teach our children what we believe to be the truth, don't we? Those of us who believe that we really can't be sure in matters of faith will teach that to their children. Those of us who believe that we can be sure, will teach that. It wouldn't make much sense for someone who believes there is more than one way to purposefully teach their children that there is only one way... and it makes no more sense for a person who believes there is only one way to teach that there is more than one.

Absolutely. It's part of the teaching of our faith. If it wasn't the only way, then why am I following it if there are "easier" ways or ways that I may feel are more "attractive"?

However, with that said, we DO teach about other faiths, communicate with those of other faiths, sometimes read things written by other faiths, and have friends of other faiths. We find out we've misunderstand something of another faith or find out something we previously did not know about another faith and we will discuss it. Even in front and with our children. We also have compared and contrasted our faith with others. This is all part of learning. We discuss differing branches within our faith and how they all came about to differ or agree. We discuss the evolution of various faiths, etc.

Teaching that one's faith is TRUTH, does not mean that we avoid any mention of any other faith...but neither does it mean that we agree with that faith. We may agree with parts or we may not agree with any of it. But the fact is, there are other faiths out there and our children need to know and understand that.

No. I teach her what I believe and why.

I tell her what others believe or they tell her.

I ask her what she believes.

My best friend is Christian.

I am not.

Dd understands that we all don't need to believe the same thing.

Right now she celebrates Baster (Bast, Bastet?) from Ancient Egypt.

She's into cats.

As we learn about new gods and goddesses we pick the ones we like.

We believe in many possibilities.

Even the ones we have yet to experience.

If a person doesn't believe in something with their whole heart, how can it really be true? I am certain without any doubt of any kind that my God is real, that He created the world as described in Genesis, that He sent His son, Jesus Christ, into this world to take my sin, and that Jesus died on the cross so that I am forgiven of my sins and can live with Him in Heaven-and also that I don't deserve any of it! It is a free gift. If I allow that any of this could be wrong...? That would be denying the whole of Christianity. It would be a sin. It would be blasphemy. I explain what others believe to my children (Hindu, Buddhist, atheist, etc), but always in the context of why and how that is wrong. Again, not trying to start a debate on Christianity here, but if a person believes in something, they need to stand up for it. We do not belittle or harass or talk negatively about those that believe differently, but discuss how and why they might have come to that belief. And always pray for them, have compassion for them, and help them.

Awesome, awesome post! I wholeheartedly agree.:001_smile:

:iagree:I agree. I absolutely believe that Jesus is the only way to salvation and I teach my kids that. You can have a firm believe in something without disrespecting those around you and also not giving up in your faith.

Yes, why would I not? If I cared so much about a religion as to practice it, why would I not teach my kids about that same religion to the degree that I practice it? It really would make no sense to me if someone said I am a practicing Hindu but I don't emphasize that I believe Hinduism to be true to my kids. That would shock me.

We are all teaching our kids what we think is the right way be it an ambivalence to religion, a disregard for it, or conviction to it.

No, I don't worry about indoctrinating my kids with my religion. Kids aren't mini-mes, they make up their own minds all the time despite what we parents do. :tongue_smilie:

I believe what I believe with my whole heart.

I am open to understanding it in new ways.

I believe that other people see it differently so we can all see it together and get the bigger picture.

First John 4:7 & 8

Beloved, let us love one another.

For love is of god.

And those who love are children of god.

And those who love not are not children of god,

For god is love.

God is love.

I believe what I believe with my whole heart.

I am open to understanding it in new ways.

I believe that other people see it differently so we can all see it together and get the bigger picture.

First John 4:7 & 8

Beloved, let us love one another.

For love is of god.

And those who love are children of god.

And those who love not are not children of god,

For god is love.

God is love.

Karen,

May I ask a question? With respect, why, if you are not a Christian, would you quote scripture? It is very disrespectful to quote scripture and not use capital letters for the name of God. The bible is God's word and is holy to many here, myself included. Please keep that in mind. Thank you.

If a person doesn't believe in something with their whole heart, how can it really be true?

Well, I guess that's what I'm trying to understand, maybe? So are you saying that because you do believe it with your whole heart, this makes it Truth? (And I mean the collective you who expressed the same thoughts, not just you, Kim!) How do you reconcile this with knowing there are billions of other people who believe they are solid on the Truth as well?

Hmm, maybe it's like Melinda said--it's not something I'm going to be able to really comprehend unless I can find something I have a true faith in. I'm trying to think of something I believe so absolutely that nothing could ever make me believe there was a chance that there might be another way. I'll keep pondering it.

You asked. That is my heart-felt reply. It's from my experience and not me pointing a finger at anyone else for not doing it my way. I'm just saying.

Teresa

Thank you, Teresa, I think it was wonderful reply. Heartfelt is what I was looking for, because I'm trying to comprehend :001_smile:

I'm getting a lot from your thoughts so far, everyone, thank you!

If a person doesn't believe in something with their whole heart, how can it really be true?

I do believe in something with my whole heart. It is the Truth. It's just different from your Truth. I believe with my heart, my soul, my whole being that God is larger than just one religion; that he has a path for all his children.

Janet

Edited by Ishki

Yes, why would I not? If I cared so much about a religion as to practice it, why would I not teach my kids about that same religion to the degree that I practice it? It really would make no sense to me if someone said I am a practicing Hindu but I don't emphasize that I believe Hinduism to be true to my kids. That would shock me.

We are all teaching our kids what we think is the right way be it an ambivalence to religion, a disregard for it, or conviction to it.

No, I don't worry about indoctrinating my kids with my religion. Kids aren't mini-mes, they make up their own minds all the time despite what we parents do. :tongue_smilie:

Excellent post. Pretty much what I was thinking.

Well, I guess that's what I'm trying to understand, maybe? So are you saying that because you do believe it with your whole heart, this makes it Truth? (And I mean the collective you who expressed the same thoughts, not just you, Kim!) How do you reconcile this with knowing there are billions of other people who believe they are solid on the Truth as well?

Hmm, maybe it's like Melinda said--it's not something I'm going to be able to really comprehend unless I can find something I have a true faith in. I'm trying to think of something I believe so absolutely that nothing could ever make me believe there was a chance that there might be another way. I'll keep pondering it.

Do you believe the sky looks blue? Could you teach your children that while you believe the sky is blue, many other people believe the sky is green and they might be correct?

Teaching my children that another faith might be just as true/valid as my own would be the same thing as teaching them the sky is green.

Karen,

May I ask a question? With respect, why, if you are not a Christian, would you quote scripture? It is very disrespectful to quote scripture and not use capital letters for the name of God. The bible is God's word and is holy to many here, myself included. Please keep that in mind. Thank you.

And yet you use scriptures that Eliana would use, and she would never ever ever spell out the name of God. It would be terribly disrespectful for her not to spell it "G_d." Should we also keep that in mind for her and for others would cringe when they see The Name written out?

I'm not Christian, but I quote the Christian bible (and some would quibble with you and me not capitalizing "bible" -- there have been whole discussion about that!) all the time and will continue to do so because I pattern my life around many of the teachings of Christian scripture. The fact that I don't take its central theme to be the same as you do doesn't mean that I don't find wisdom there nor does it mean that I will throw it out like so much trash from my mind after these decades of reading, studying, absorbing, and memorizing it.

The book may be what you base your life and faith on, but it's not only your property, if that makes any sense. We're not urinating on it or setting it ablaze in a fit of pique. We're using it to guide our thinking in some areas. Perhaps the glass *is* half empty in my case, but perhaps not for others.

To scold someone of another faith for not using your scriptures the way you would or following your own traditions -- well, don't look too closely at me. I guarantee you that I'll disappoint you in my imperfection. I imagine you might find my lack of faith much more disrespectful than capitalization or not on a message board.

(The irony is that when Karen sn joined us, she didn't capitalize ANYthing. She took a lot of grief for that, too, I recall. Baby steps, eh, Karen? LOL)

Edited by Pam "SFSOM" in TN

I guess you could say that my kids are still in the grammar stage of world religions. ;)

My kids know I'm an atheist. They know so-and-so is Jewish, and another so-and-so is Methodist, and there's a whole bunch of Catholics and Muslims and Buddhist and so on. We talk about what other people believe and what I do or don't believe.

My 10yo is heading toward the logic stage of world religion. My youngers are nowhere near that. I'm looking forward to it.

The rhetoric stage... That's a journey I'm preparing them to take on their own, or with outside resources. It isn't my journey to take.

It really would make no sense to me if someone said I am a practicing Hindu but I don't emphasize that I believe Hinduism to be true to my kids. That would shock me.

I encounter this all the time with people of my religion. It's because most of us (Pagans) believe that different truths can simultaneously exist, that we are living in a multiverse made up of lots of different and sometimes conflicting universal truths. And a bunch of us went through heck trying to stay connected to parents who had to insist that our truths didn't exist in order to hold on to their own. We don't want that sort of conflict with our children, so we tend to err in the opposite direction and not even raise the kids in our own universe. I think that's just as hurtful. Kids don't want to be excluded any more than they want to be forced to stay inside another person's truth.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

I've just skimmed all the replies, but interesting question. We are Buddhists also non-theists. We teach our children about Siddhartha, the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path because we believe strongly in these things. However, we teach our children about all different faiths and that tolerance for people of all different faiths is important. We've also had a lot of fun diving into SOTW this year with all the different gods and goddesses of the ancient world. My older dd made the comment -- "Wow, those Mesopotamians sure had a lot of gods and goddesses, didn't they?" :tongue_smilie:

We also let our girls know that they may decide to believe in a God at some point in their lives and that's ok. We view Buddhism as more of a philosophy than a religion, and don't see it as incompatible with other faiths. A Christian could easily be a practicing Buddhist at the same time. So, at any rate -- just wanted to put out another perspective that I didn't see after quickly looking over the replies.

I encounter this all the time with people of my religion. It's because most of us (Pagans) believe that different truths can simultaneously exist, that we are living in a multiverse made up of lots of different and sometimes conflicting universal truths. And a bunch of us went through heck trying to stay connected to parents who had to insist that our truths didn't exist in order to hold on to their own. We don't want that sort of conflict with our children, so we tend to err in the opposite direction and not even raise the kids in our own universe. I think that's just as hurtful. Kids don't want to be excluded any more than they want to be forced to stay inside another person's truth.

I've made it clear to my children that our faith, if the children wish to stay in it as adults, they will have to internalise it and make it their own. We acknowledge that they may grow up and disagree with us, either leaving for another branch of the faith or leaving to another faith altogether. We still hold ours to be true. We will still love them. We by our own nature as parents do hope they will believe as we do and have taught them. However, we are aware of the reality of life and our children as individuals. But this is a home of one particular faith and as our home, we will run it in adherence to that faith. We are not like the conservative anabaptists that shun or harass those that have left.

Well, I don't have a faith, so I don't teach anything specific belief-wise to Becca. I want her to know about different religions and beliefs and find her own way. Same with Sylvia, of course, but that's not on her radar right now.

DH is Christian by default - this was touched on in the other thread. ;)

Becca was asking about polytheists and monotheists after that section in SOTW. She asked what we were and I just turned the question back to her - did she believe in many gods or one god? She pressed me for what I believe, so I was honest and told her I was an atheist. I'm just waiting for her to spring that one on MIL.... :001_huh:

Now I'm off to read the other responses.

Do you believe the sky looks blue? Could you teach your children that while you believe the sky is blue, many other people believe the sky is green and they might be correct.

Actually, yes, I probably could, since I believe just about anything is possible. People are fully convinced of things everyday that someone else could debate until the cows come home.

Wow, you just reminded me of an old discussion we used to have in high school, about whether anyone really saw colors the same way. My friend's theory was that it's very possible that we all see different colors, but that we grew up thinking that "blue" was that color we see in the sky, so that's what "blue" was to us. Is that argument applicable here? Philosophy makes my head spin :D

We view Buddhism as more of a philosophy than a religion, and don't see it as incompatible with other faiths. A Christian could easily be a practicing Buddhist at the same time. So, at any rate -- just wanted to put out another perspective that I didn't see after quickly looking over the replies.

I respectfully disagree. Biblically, Christianity stands opposed to Buddhism. The Bible says Christ is the way, the truth and the life and no one comes to the Father except through Him. There are many other Biblical references that would say those two just don't mix and that Christ can be mixed with nothing else. He's not the fifth bowl in line on a buffet table. As a Christian, He IS the buffet buffet table...and everything else needed or wanted involved in said buffet! He's even the host of the party where the buffet is being held!! I can't take a little of the Jesus that I want and toss the rest, then mix that up with a little Buddhism and a dash of something else. If I do, I have created a false god, and that is in complete opposition to what it means to be a Christian. I'm just saying to you that Biblically, that would be apostasy. I'm speaking this to you from a Christian POV.

Teresa

Actually, yes, I probably could, since I believe just about anything is possible. People are fully convinced of things everyday that someone else could debate until the cows come home.

Wow, you just reminded me of an old discussion we used to have in high school, about whether anyone really saw colors the same way. My friend's theory was that it's very possible that we all see different colors, but that we grew up thinking that "blue" was that color we see in the sky, so that's what "blue" was to us. Is that argument applicable here? Philosophy makes my head spin :D

:lol: I thought of that as I was typing the arguement, especially since I can't teach my 3 year old colors (I'm in the "I wonder if he's color-blind?" stage of preschooler-hood).

If there is nothing that you believe to be 100% true, then I can see why this would be hard to understand.

How about gravity on Earth? If someone believed we were held on Earth because of tiny little glue sticks in our feet (instead of gravity), could you teach your children that that is as valid as gravitational pull? Or if someone argued that when they dropped an apple from a tree it fell up instead of down?

Really, I hope you're not reading this as snarky; I'm just trying to understand your POV as much as you are mine :001_smile: