Menu

So, what interesting objects have you pulled out of the washing machine lately?

Ria

Is it just me? Does anyone else open the washer to find strange objects that have come out of pockets during the wash? Is this just a boy thing?

This week I've discovered a pencil and a butane lighter (my boys all have butane lighters for their annual summer Canadian wilderness canoe trips). Interestingly enough, the lighter still works.

Past items: mp3 player, pens, chapstick, lots of money, a sneaker, a soccer cleat, and birdseed (yep...that one was messy).

Ria

I was just noticing my new washer actually spits foreign objects onto the rubber around the door. I am not sure if this is by design, but I often find things that don't belong in the laundry. Yesterday I found a hair elastic. I often fine money, chapstick, etc. The worst find was a crayon that made it into the dryer. That was a major mess.

The cat in my avatar. :D

His name is Max and his favourite spot to sleep at the moment is in the washing machine. ;)

It's a front loader and you can't turn the water on until AFTER you load the clothes and shut the door - so there's no risk of him getting soaked by accident...just getting stinky socks on his head. :tongue_smilie:

Thomas trains and Matchbox cars, library cards, Littlest Pet Shop pets, a belt-clip compass, rocks, business cards, entire wallets...

Most of the toys come from my toddler sticking them in the dirty diaper bag. I try to listen for clunks when I dump them in the washer, but all that padding muffles the sound!

I panic if I find chapstick, because it usually means that my dh's nice pants have a grease stain on them! I do not put chapstick in my pocket anymore, I keep it in my purse no exceptions. I did wash my cell phone once, I found it before I put the clothes into the dryer. After it aired out it still worked!:)

A rectal thermometer used to preg check cows. (Or more precisely, to check temps for breeding purposes.) I only wish I could say that kind of thing is unusual around here.

Do I win?:tongue_smilie:

Funny you should ask this, btw. I said to dh a couple of weeks ago that some aspects of dairy farming will never be normal to me. I will never get used to wiping cow manure off my screen door. To finding bovine rectal thermometers mixed in with my laundry. To hearing my child cry, "My remote control plane landed in the middle of the manure lagoon!". Or to talking to a guy while he unloads bull semen from the trunk of his car.

Edited by Colleen

I don't know what it was, but it put a leak in the water pump. It was just 2 months out of warranty and Maytag covered the whole thing, Lord bless them. I now am fanatical about checking pockets because I don't want to pay for it next time (the part alone is $100). Oh, I only have a 9yo dd and dh, who cleans out his pockets, so it is not only a boy thing.

My poor mom found worms and a small snake. The pockets of my brothers rough skins were sewed up for years to come. hehehehe. I have found all the typical money, batteries, cell phone, pens, homework, papers to sign etc thankfully no dead reptiles.

ETA: I forgot about the frog...

Edited by lynn

I'd give the award to Colleen today. Didn't someone find a snake in theirs a while back? :willy_nilly:

I've found a bottle of whiteout in mine yesterday. I almost had a moment of panic, but it wasn't open. Other odds and ends...

Hair scrunchies

scissors

crayons (Yes, a laundry tragedy occurred.)

pens

markers

hair brush

combs

barrettes

small toys

coins

dollars...:DMy favorite find.:D

After 14 years of kids....just about every small toy has had a swirl or two.

My most irritating was the 'tongue painter' candy that ds didn't want to eat.

It turned several pairs of jeans bright green!

Mama was not tooo happy!

Is it just me? Does anyone else open the washer to find strange objects that have come out of pockets during the wash? Is this just a boy thing?

This week I've discovered a pencil and a butane lighter (my boys all have butane lighters for their annual summer Canadian wilderness canoe trips). Interestingly enough, the lighter still works.

Past items: mp3 player, pens, chapstick, lots of money, a sneaker, a soccer cleat, and birdseed (yep...that one was messy).

Ria

I once pulled a small frog out of the dryer. A real frog. A once living frog.

At first I was horrified thinking of what the poor thing must have been through, but ds said he found the frog "stiff already."

Still... it was not a pleasant experience.

The other gross thing was pig testicles. Somehow they had found their way into my dh's work overalls after he'd been castrating a batch of weanlings.

Edited by Audrey

The usuals:

rocks, lots of rocks...how I don't feel the rocks when I put them in the wash, I'll never know...I guess I just grab an arm load of clothes and dump them in...you can't really tell the weight of a pocket full of rocks at that point :p

coins...occasionally real, but usually fake

pencils or pencil parts

broken erasers

carpenters pencils

drill bits

what's that white 'tape' .... teflon tape? is that right? lots of that (hub's is a pool guy, need I say more?)

assorted shiny objects that have caught the 7 yr olds eye

and did I mention rocks? LOL

lego guys, or just their heads

Nope, I don't win any awards here...same ole stuff as anybody else. The thermometer or frog would get my vote :p

I didn't find the frog in the washer- he (she?) made it all the way to the dryer. So, I had a nice perfectly dried frog when I was done. The same week, I found a lizard head- thankfully before it made it into the wash. DS is now required to empty all pockets in my presence before said clothes are loaded into the machine.

I have a rule that I adopted from my mom. If I find money while doing laundry, it is my "tip"- I get to keep it, no questions asked. It took hubby a couple of times in our first month or so of marriage to figure out that I was serious about it, and up until last week, I only rarely got some loose change, never bills. Last week- jackpot! A nice $20 tip for me :D

The children were much faster to train on that one! :lol: