Menu

When do you grocery shop?

Humor me. I know it has been asked before, but I'm writing a very general schedule for myself and you may inspire me.

My dh is not an option for anything other than the occassional milk or beer run on the way home- his schedule is too full. I'm really looking at how YOU fit in the big grocery trips.

Thanks.

Jo

Sunday afternoons, when possible. It makes the week so much easier when we have food in the cupboards and don't have to struggle to find time to shop during the week. DH travels M-Th so I can't count on him to help. Evenings are too busy, and Saturdays are sports galore. Doesn't leave much time to negotiate.

I really miss grocery delivery! Anyone remember Peapod? :)

...when we are flat out of milk, bread, or fruit. I used to do an early Saturday morning run sans kiddos, but now that DH has been working cross-country for 9 months, I have to shop with both boys and so only do so when desperate. Also, I no longer shop at different stores to grab deals - I get everything at one store, regardless of sales. Not much help, am I?

I would LOVE to be able to have DH keep the kids so I could go to the store! But, his schedule never seems to be accomodating. :glare:

For me, one weekday morning becomes our errand time, including the grocery store. We leave after a quick breakfast, and are home for a late lunch (packed snack for along the way). :auto: Right now, all shopping is between 15-30 minutes away. I don't browse, so we get in and out of whatever we need to do, which usually allows for a bit of fun or at least a detour to browse for the kids for a minute. I try to hit the dollar store or the book store once a month as a reward. By the time we get home, the younger kids are ready for lunch and a rest, which leaves some great 1:1 time for school with the oldest.

But, remember that Saturday is usually a school day for us, too... I'd rather have a schedule opposite the rest of the world. :D

We're shot by then, and the kids don't complain if I go somewhere with samples (i.e. Costco or Wegman's). I even will get them a snack there if they're truly starving, which as pre-teens they usually are.

That way I usually can get by with picking up a few things on the weekend, and we're home at least three full days if not four. I just can't run a lot of errands during the week now and get school done. I actually miss the early days when we were truly, truly done by lunch!

I give everyone who can read a list. I learned this from a friend that had 8. It made lots of sense for her, but I found it is great for me too. When my ds was home, I would give him and my dd each a list and send them off. Divide and conquer. Even if the child is too young to be far from you, give them a cart and list and have them follow, teach them to read it and comparison shop. I can't imagine how she taught all of hers, but she had done it one at a time as the grew into it. By the time they were 10 or 12, they had learned to be frugal shoppers. It is a good skill.

I don't let my dd8 go off on her own in Walmart, but I do in our small local grocery store. I can hear her call me from one side of the store to the other and everybody knows us. In the bigger stores she still gets a list but has to stay at least within an aisle of me. She has learned to read labels (we have some food allergies) and compare prices. It is awesome. It is also funny when my mom and dh go with me, then we end up in the check outlane with 4 carts.

And Monday morning right after breakfast (or right after math)is great. get it overwith.

No set schedule other than as seldom as possible. Usual this translates to during the week with 5 kids in tow. I have tried the weekends without kids but honestly I'd rather deal with my 5 during the week than all the other people on the weekends. But we bought a 1/4 of beef last fall and when things are on sale (non-pershibles) I stock up. I will buy 20-30 pounds of frozen veggies when on sale or 6-8 chickens. I have started making all of our bread products so once every two months, I or my husband will drive over to the lady in charge of our co-op and do a pickup there. Otherwise my hubby stops for milk once a week and I go for fresh produce every 2-3 weeks. I try to just stay out of the store. It saves me time and money as I'm terrible with impulse buys.

I give everyone who can read a list. I learned this from a friend that had 8. It made lots of sense for her, but I found it is great for me too. When my ds was home, I would give him and my dd each a list and send them off. Divide and conquer. Even if the child is too young to be far from you, give them a cart and list and have them follow, teach them to read it and comparison shop. I can't imagine how she taught all of hers, but she had done it one at a time as the grew into it. By the time they were 10 or 12, they had learned to be frugal shoppers. It is a good skill.

This is why I take one dd with me - so they can help and learn how to shop.

Early Sunday morning. Early meaning between 7:30 and 9am. I'm not a morning person and learned a valuable lesson yesterday. Do NOT attempt to go that early when you've only had 1/2 cup of coffee. I was shopping like a zombie.

We only have one car so Sunday is my best day, otherwise I'd take ds and we'd go before or after school during the week.

On Sunday for big shopping usually. It is my only day off of carpool, school and work, so if I need to do a good bit of shopping, it is my only real choice.

I do smaller trips often. I stop on the way home from work for a few items or while the kids are in classes.

I go on the weekend because I love grocery shopping by myself. I also make a produce run mid-week on Wednesday night since we eat so much fruit and veggies. When we have a crazy weekend, I grocery shop early Mon. morning on the way home from the health club.

My dh does a Costco run once a month on his way home from work.

It varies, but usually we shop at the closest store and hope they have a car cart for my ds3 to "drive" while we shop. Each child gets a job assignment at the store and we go usually on a Monday or Friday during the day, not too crowded and not "senior discount days". I also try very hard to only shop once every two weeks with the off week being a quick run for milk, eggs and fruit but that hasn't worked well lately. I used to shop only on the weekends alone but that takes away from sports and church so I'm trying to have it done during the week.

My son has classes, rehearsals and activities five afternoons a week. So, I often run to the market to grab an item or 12 while he is thus occupied. In terms of big shopping trips, though, those usually happen Saturday afternoons, if there's nothing else going on. My husband stays home with our son, and I "get to go out" by myself.

I'm working hard to transition to doing a big shopping only every two or three weeks and using those quick, weekday afternoon trips to fill in as necessary. This means that I often go to two stores, and having even the one child with me is not ideal.

I go Tuesdays around 2:30pm, with my crew of 4 in tow. (I wish I could go early morning, but the commissary has limited hours, so shopping at 4am is not possible.) I find that 2:30pm is a good time--the seniors and mom's with babies are at home taking naps, and moms with school kids are in the pickup line or waiting for the bus and have usually have done their shopping already since they don't want to drag their kids in there, and the working folks are at work.

I also use the divide and conquer technique for the things I'm not too picky on, so I'll send the 8 & 6 year old to fetch things like milk, waffles, snacks (these I approve of upon return), etc... I used to have them each carry a hand held basket, but that ended up being more trouble than it was worth so I don't recommend it.

--Mrs. F

I go on Thursday's, after dropping my daughter off at gymnastics at 2:00. I go with a detailed list, shop, get my other daughter to dance at 4:15, and then pick my gymnast daughter up at 5:00. I have to take an ice chest, because it's 5:30 before I get home.

This is the only time during the week I can find. Our daughters have gymnastics and dance 3-4 afternoons a week, and our weekends are usually full.

Our sales start Thursday, so if I go in on Wednesday, I still catch the current week's sale. PLUS I get to see what they're putting on the ends of the aisles for next week's sale.

I enjoy this system because it allows me to raincheck those items I don't necessarily need this week, but would like to stock up on. The store usually has sold out of those goods, especially if they are BOGO's. It's been working well and I have a good stash in my pantry.

HTH

I go to the store every Friday afternoon. Fridays are our short days around here. I do what I call a big shop every other Friday on dh's payday at the SuperWalmart. The inbetween Fridays are milk, bread, juice and our take and bake pizza.

If, for some reason, I can't make it on Fridays I usually have dh stay at home with the kids and I go alone.

It's really hard sometimes to figure out how to make everything fit. Our library days are on alternating Fridays when I just have a little shopping to do. Man, if I get out of sync things get ugly around here! :o

Once every 2 weeks I shop at night I leave at 6 or 7 p.m.; while dh stays home with the dc (he puts them to bed at about 8). I get home late, about 9:30 or 10:00; this is because I take my time- look at things, calculate as I go, shop for birthday presents etc... I actually really like doing it this way. Where we live everything is dead by 8, so I have a very peaceful shopping experience without the dc. I'm tired by the end, but in the end it is so much better this way ;).

I hit Super Walmart and Safeway, sometimes Bashas.

Edited by coralloyd

I generally do it on weekends when my husband can watch the children. I know that might not always be an option for you, either (can the olders babysit?) I don't know how far your store is from your home. I have one where I shop that is less than 5 minutes away. I like to go early or late, when the stores are not so busy.