Menu

How old were you when you had your last baby?

By "last," I don't mean you have to be finished having kids...just asking your age when you had your youngest child.

If you were 29 or older, were you in great health when you started? Did you have any nagging issues? Did you worry more with a pregnancy as you got older than you did with one you had in your early 20's?

I ask because the chances are good right now that I am pregnant. I am 29 - will be 30 before baby is born (if pregnant). I am not at my top optimal health - and by that I mean my back hurts often (I have disk issues in my low back), my bladder dropped after my last child, my menstrual cycles have been wonky since May - Drs decided it was hormonal after ruling out other bad things. I am also a hypochondriac and I worry worry worry. After my youngest was born, I went through some severe ppd and then my OCD/hypochondria reached a new all time high. I am scared to death to be pregnant again. Doesn't help that I have read so much about women in their 30's getting pregnant and having some kind of cancer just lurking in their bodies and the pregnancy changes it to a fast growing thing and they die. :( See...this is NOT good for me at all!

I am a Christian, and I believe that *if* I am pregnant, it is God's will. This was not planned as we have said for YEARS now that we are done having kids. My dh and I have one together and I have one from a previous marriage. There was a time several summers ago, when my friend had a baby, that I thought, "OMG I need another." However, that feeling has well PASSED and I know it has because my best friend just had her baby 4 months ago and NOT ONCE did I envy her or think I needed a baby too. :(

Sorry for the rant. If you have gotten this far, thank you for reading. :)

Sorry you're worried. My mom usually jokes about my worry and... if I stop with one worry...she says I must be worrying about what to worry about....

I have two children that are almost the same ages as yours...My first was with someone else as well. Unlike you, I *imagine* that I would love to be pregnant. We can't afford to adopt....

It'll be good! Third time's a charm!

Carrie:-)

I was 37, almost 38 when the last kidlet was born - but I started later than most (twins at age 32, another kid at age 34.) All ended up c-sections. I was in good heath but bed rest with the last half of the first pregnancy - ended up going 9 days late and having 8.7 and 7.6 lb twins.

I had her a couple months after I turned 30. Other than being overweight I was pretty healthy. My pregnancies are always complicated though due to multiple miscarriages and repeat premature births. SO that was a major concern for me, but over all I was okay.

I really don't think being 29 turning 30 poses any increased risk to pregnancy than beig 28 and turning 29. If you are worried about underlieing health issues talk to your health care provider, even if you are not pregnant having back issues or bladder issues is not something I would want to leave untreated.

I am currently 31 and desperately wanting another baby. I know I am not done, I dream often of a 5th child, but don't think I can handle anymore on my own as a single mom, so I live vicariously through others that are expecting.

I was 38 when I had my last child (36 and 34 y.o. with his older brothers :) ), and had a happy and healthy pregnancy. Many women have healthy pregnancies into their forties.

That said, I totally understand. We are done having children, and I can't even imagine how I would feel were I to become pregnant now. Even knowing that a child is a blessing from God, it would take me some time to get over feeling helpless, worried, out of control. :grouphug: That's totally normal.

Cat

I was 38.5 when I had baby girl. I was in very good health for I had just started running and taking better care of myself when I got preg. There were no nagging issues except for being told "Because of your age this or that" that sure got annoying and also my mom and FIL are from the old school thinking and "warned" me of everything that could potentially go wrong with a pregnancy at my age:glare:.

I had my babies when I was 37 1/2 and 40 after marrying at 31. I have mild asthma, and was basically healthy but not top condition by any means. I had gestational diabetes with both, but that was the only issue we dealt with. I worked full-time until two weeks before the first one was due, and quit then only because the temps were in the 100's and I just couldn't take commuting and working in a government building with poor air conditioning at that point. Both babies were born just before their due dates and did great. Frankly I would have welcomed a third child and not been concerned about the medical part, but it didn't happen:001_smile:.

My OB's told me that in their experience age is less of an issue than the basic health of the mother and how careful the mom is in taking care of herself and in not missing any tests/appointments. The vast majority of pregnancies in this country are pretty uneventful.

I was 20. However, I REALLY want more children. I'm doing some health related things right now but am hoping 2009 will be the year I can get pregnant. I'll be AT LEAST 35 when I deliver if it happens. I'm not in the best of health and can't be again (this side of paradise). I have several autoimmune issues and junk. But I'm a great mom and would be a better mom this time than I was the first time through with toddlers, I know. I had a friend who got preg at 34 and again at 35 and she got sick of being called an older mom during her pregnancies. But most people our age do just fine having kiddos :)

I was 37 when I had my last child. We knew we wanted more, but the timing was not the best:). I was in reasonably good health, if you don't count the back problems, the knee problems, episodic depression, etc. My back problems that got worse during pregnancy until my midwife INSISTED that I see a chiro regularly - and it did make a huge difference, not just pain, but my labor was really fast! I probably had an underlying thyroid problem and pregnancy kicked it up a notch. Did not actually get diagnosed until she was 5, though, which messed up my adrenals.

My point is, my health was not optimal, but I did what I could to take good care of myself (in spite of moving, dealing with a tantrummy 3.5 year old, etc.) I knew that what I ate, how much exercise I got and what substances I came in contact with were within my control to some extent. All the other stuff was out of my control and I gave it up to God. To be honest, I was just too tired and too frazzled dealing with a 3.5 year old who had several major tantrums a day to spend a whit of energy being worried about the pregnancy. I had a healthy birth at home and I am a reasonably healthy person 8 years later. Yeah, I have health issues - some may be fixable, some may be treatable, some I just need to live with - but my daughter is such a blessing that it was all worth it.

FWIW, my friend had her 5th baby at 43. I have another friend who had an unexpected addition at age 46 (14 years after the birth of the next oldest child.) Another friend had her first baby at 38 and her second at 41.

By "last," I don't mean you have to be finished having kids...just asking your age when you had your youngest child.

If you were 29 or older, were you in great health when you started? Did you have any nagging issues? Did you worry more with a pregnancy as you got older than you did with one you had in your early 20's?

I ask because the chances are good right now that I am pregnant. I am 29 - will be 30 before baby is born (if pregnant). I am not at my top optimal health - and by that I mean my back hurts often (I have disk issues in my low back), my bladder dropped after my last child, my menstrual cycles have been wonky since May - Drs decided it was hormonal after ruling out other bad things. I am also a hypochondriac and I worry worry worry. After my youngest was born, I went through some severe ppd and then my OCD/hypochondria reached a new all time high. I am scared to death to be pregnant again. Doesn't help that I have read so much about women in their 30's getting pregnant and having some kind of cancer just lurking in their bodies and the pregnancy changes it to a fast growing thing and they die. :( See...this is NOT good for me at all!

I am a Christian, and I believe that *if* I am pregnant, it is God's will. This was not planned as we have said for YEARS now that we are done having kids. My dh and I have one together and I have one from a previous marriage. There was a time several summers ago, when my friend had a baby, that I thought, "OMG I need another." However, that feeling has well PASSED and I know it has because my best friend just had her baby 4 months ago and NOT ONCE did I envy her or think I needed a baby too. :(

Sorry for the rant. If you have gotten this far, thank you for reading. :)

no experience with pregnancy here but our first child arrived (by way of adoption) when I was 29. And the other 4 children are stair-stepped every 2 years or so after that. Our latest arrived when I was 38. Parenting after 30 is doable. But I do miss the energy my 20 year old self had. :D

I didn't mean for it to seem that I wasn't caring for my health concerns. My bladder...well, it is still in there. LOL But it gets very...ummm...not fun at time. Mostly when I cough, sneeze, or a week before my AF comes. But still...it is okay. My back, I go to a chiropractor for it and it helps a lot. I am not sure I could handle another epidural as a spinal block (un-necessary) is suspected to be part of what caused the problems I have now. My cycles being crazy has scared me the most, but I have gone to several GYNS, had paps yearly for 10 years now and no abnormalcies other than one when I was 20 just after having ds9 (possible fluke/insurance fraud anyway). I had a biopsy of my uterus in August at my own request and it was normal. They docs have just narrowed it down to worry, stress, and hormones.

My mental state bothers me the most, I guess. My OCD/hypochondria as well as the bad ppd I had after ds5.

However...and this is just amusing...LOL If I were to follow the Shettles Method, I pretty much did EXACTLY what he recommends to create a baby girl. LOL I had no idea as I had never read Shettles before, but it was a bonus when someone pointed that out to me today. ;)

Oh...and I will add that I had my other children at 19 (3 days before I turned 20) and 24. I was young and reasonably healthy with both. I had some of the back issues, none of the bladder issues.

Ds9 was a HARD labor and birth and he was suctioned after I pushed for 2.5 hours. He was "sunny side up."

Ds5 was a piece of cake. I was induced (for no real reason) and fell asleep with my epi (which I got because of my bladder alone! No pain at all from labor). When I woke up, my body was pushing him out. I pushed one set of 3 and out he came. It was incredible.

I ddin't even get married till 29, had my first two (twins) at 33, and my last at 35.

Most of the people I know around here had their first babies at 30 - I know more after-40 moms than pre-30. 29 isn't old by a long shot!

Oh, and I'm not sure what the Shettles method is, but if it's predicting gender by how long you did the deed after ovulating, I was sure my last would be a girl based on that, and... yup. :001_smile:

I had my first child at 30, and I'm currently pregnant with my 5th (turning 40 on Tuesday).

I weighed about 20lbs more pre-pregnancy with this one than I did with my 1st -- and this one was a huge shock to me.

Each pregnancy is very different. My first and 4th were by far the easiest. My 2nd and 5th have been the most difficult. My 3rd was solidly in the middle (although I was very, very tired all of the time).

I've been really sick this time around -- I've only gained about 10lbs, which, even for me, is a small number. But, most of my problems are hormonal. Yes, my back hurts. But at 8 mos. pregnant, that's pretty normal. I'm uncomfortable. I'm tired. My brain is wonky -- but honestly, I think it has more to do with this particular pregnancy than my age.

Best wishes! (It took me a good 6 months for me to really become accustomed to the idea... now I just want her born as soon as possible. Everyone in the family is praying for a New Year baby...)

Lisa

I was 43 when my last child was born - that was 4 years ago. I am sorry you are worried! I think it our job to worry. Things went fine for me but I did feel the aches and pains more the last time. A good thing though, my debilitating morning sickness was not as bad as usual, so overall I felt a lot better.

Much luck to you and congratulations.

:grouphug:

Dana

First off :grouphug:

I was 32 when I had my baby. I was overweight before I got pregnant so I was worried about gaining too much.

I lost 17 pounds from being so sick(all day long sickness).

I didn't have any problems until towards the end, I had pre~eclampsia so my baby was born a month early(everything was fine though), I was in the hospital a week before I had him so they gave me steroid shots to help him along.

The delivery was very rough~I was put on oxygen, my blood pressure was sky high, baby kept losing heartbeat but after a few pushes(and the vacuum thingy) he was delivered.

He weighed 6 pounds exactly~he did go to the NICU for one night just to make sure everything was alright. He was fine :001_smile:

He is now 9 months old and just fine! :001_smile:

Try not to worry :grouphug::grouphug:

I was 43 when our youngest was born. We haven't been blessed with a pregnancy since, not even a hint, sigh. I had more miscarriages approaching 40 and used progesterone to hold on to him. I was 21 when our first baby was born. I was more niave with the first pregnancy, less aware of what all could go wrong. I am a worrier by nature (I think it is my job and I'll do it right). I have to make a conscious effort not to worry and fret. My dad even nicknamed me "Frettie Nette" when I was little. Dh says there is no point worrying about anything if there is nothing you can do about it. Easier said than done. I wouldn't recommend hanging out at any of those online Baby Boards. My dd does and there are so many frightening/sad stories to fuel worries. I wish you all the best! Babies are truly a blessing :)

I was 33 when my first was born, and 37 when the younger was. I was in pretty fair health both times, and haven't had any serious problems from having children later. I have had incontinence issues, but they are pretty much under control due to exercising; my feet flattened out and hurt during the second pregnancy, but with supportive shoes and lots of walking, they seem to be pretty much back in shape.

Best wishes

Laura

I was 36 when my now 3yo was born.

It was a really difficult time but it was emotional much more than physical. I had had a baby girl 51 weeks earlier and she died when she was 6 weeks old. I was pregnant again before my c-section had properly healed.

I worried like crazy but it was because I wondered if something would be wrong with the new baby.

You know, 30 is still pretty young to be having a baby! :) Praying for peace for you!:grouphug:

I had undergone a miscarriage and a hysteroscopy (sp?) to determine the cause of abnormal bleeding the year before. I had hypothyroidism (treated) and was 15-20 lbs. above my optimal weight from the start. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but it affected my knees, ankles, and back. At the beginning of the pregnancy, I experienced shortness of breath. A lot. It was scary. Our pastor and the church prayed for me and it went away! Our healthy baby girl was/is such a blessing to the whole family.

If I were you, I would talk with my dr about the concerns to work through any real risks and what might be done to alleviate them. I don't know what the answer is for you. Maybe he/she can help you make a decision based on your health and history. Blessings!

I was 32 when I had my first child. I was 38 when I had my second and last child. I had problems with both pregnancies and c-sections with both, as well. I have some auto-immune problems, but overall, my personal health was pretty good during my pregnancies.

I would not say that I was in great health with either pregnancy, but I ate right during both those and was probably in better health during the pregnancies than during the time period right before either of them.

It sounds to me like you are in a worry cycle. Do you have calming mechanisms you can use to help get yourself in a better place mentally for this? Blessings to you,

I was 20 when my son was born and 31 when my daughter was born. There was a world of difference between how I felt with each pregnancy. In my 20's, I could leap tall buildings in a single bound, in my 30's, I couldn't leap at all! I was much achier and more tired with the second pregnancy than with the first.

THank you all so much for your input and for sharing your stories and well wishes. I will let you all know how the tests come out here soon. I should be able to test on the 30th.

I have two children. Both of them, I tried literally 1 time. Not for one month, one actual time. If my body is true to form, then I am definitely pregnant. We made tea without the teabag last Wed around 2am, I had egg white yuckies (TMI, sorry) Wed, Thurs, and Fri and supposedly ovulated Saturday. I am now 6 days past ovulation and my bbs are so sore, they can't be touched. I also have a lot of bloatedness and I am soooo very tired.

Having another child is not my or dh's desire, persay, so we will be elated if I am NOT pregnant. However, if I am, I know God will take care of me and that this is His will and of course dh and I will love baby more than anything as we do the other 2 sons.

If your test is positive, please see your OB/GYN ASAP and let him know all your concerns. There is no need for you to suffer through those symptoms and your family suffer as a result. Everyone's body is different, and while reading all the successes is encouraging, it really has nothing to do with how your body will react to this pregnancy. Also, remember your body may react differently than in previous pregnancies.

BTW, my mom had me 9 days after turning 40, had another 17 months later, and the last 2 months before turning 45. I also have 5 older siblings. Older moms rock!

I had my first child when I was 36 and my 3rd (and last)child when I was 40. I had three children in 3 1/2 years. I was relatively healthy but my pregnancies were all rough -- not because of my age or my health but rather because God made my body to not handle pregnancies well.

When we found out that we were pregnant with my youngest, I was very upset (so was my husband.) I was quite fine with two children. Now, though, I cannot imagine life without Miss M. She is truly a blessing.

I had my daughter at 30 and my son at 34. I had minor health concerns with both pregnancies. (I have a weird blood pressure problem that seems to kick up when I'm pregnant.) And we had a small scare with my son when the AFP tests came back wonky . . . twice. Each time, I was officially classified as a high risk for delivery, but all went smoothly. I delivered both without drugs or major medical intervention and had big, healthy babies.

I don't think 29 is old at all, and the odds are very high that both you and the potential baby will do just great.

I had my first baby at 32 and my last at 33. Both pgs were high risk and I spent quite a bit of time in the hospital during both pgs for my health and the babies.

I was in the military with my first pg so I was in very good physical condition prior to being pg but my health has never been the same since. I developed a very bad case of gestational diabetes with the first baby and I was not heavy in the least at the time being at military weight.

32 weeks with my first baby I had surgery for acute appendicitis and the doc said we were hours from dying, severe infection (peritonitis) sit in all of the right side of my abdomen, lots of internal scaring, and I lost a good portion of the muscle mass on the right side of my abdomen, which was eaten away by the infection or at least that was what I was told by the surgeon who did the appy and the Ob who did repair work after my second section.

I kept telling the OB, I had for my first baby, for 6 weeks that something was wrong, and the response I got from him was, I was an older first time mom stop being so up tight about my health.

I did not use that doc for the next baby and he soon lost his license to practice medicine, he had two moms who died during delivery under his care due to his negligence. I complained of pain and other symptoms for 6 weeks and no one in the OB practice made the connection that my appendix had gone bad. I went in to the ER 4 times during the last 3 weeks of the 6 weeks due to the pain and finally the fourth doc made the connection. If he had not we would have died that night or at least that is what they told dh and I post surgery. Spent a week in ICU and the rest of the pg on bed rest.

Had to have a section because my blood pressure and the babies blood pressure became dangerously low. During the first section my heart stopped. I remember that I was so very very tired and could feel myself floating away. Dh was made to leave the room and they posted guards to keep him out. I was unconscious for over 24 hours after the surgery and spent another week in ICU.

With the second pg I dilated and effaced at 20 weeks had real labor every day until I could no longer carry my son who came a month early. Doc did quite a bit of repair work on the abdominal muscles and took out a lot of scar tissue at the second section and said he had not seen a thinner uterus walls and it was a miracle that it had held together during that pg.

After the second section the Doc, a Roman Catholic who in 25 years of practice had never told any one what he told dh, said that neither I or a baby would survive another pg, something permanent had to be done, and my body had been opened up too many times. Dh stepped up to the plate and we had no more babies.

Each pg and delivery cost more than the house we owned at the time. So not only could we not afford another baby because of my health but financially it was too much. So I am very blessed with two healthy boys. I often wished that I could have more but I think it has caused me enjoy the two I have all the more.

Edited by RebeccaC

WOW! What a crazy pregnancy you had, RebeccaC. Goodness. I am so glad you and your babies made it out alive and it was awesome that your dh stepped up to the plate!

phathui5 - WOW! So you had your first at 15 then? Gosh, how young. I as talking with a friend of mine recently, an older man, and he told me that he had 6 siblings - all 1-2 years apart and his mom had all of them by the time she was 29. I thought THAT was young. Nope...you got her beat! LOL

I had my first at 28 and my last at 30 (found out I was pregnant a couple months before I turned 30). I am in better health now than I was during those pregnancies, yet I do worry about how my body would handle another pregnancy if that were ever to happen. Just make sure you are working with doctors who are understanding of your concerns.

I was 35, delivering at 36, when I had my last pregnancy. It was harder on me, at least physically. I was nauseated throughout the whole pregnancy, but I don't believe that was due to my age.

My mom was 42 when she had me. That was without problems and all the medical advances that are available now. Aside from her being a little more tired, no problems.

Hey "laughing lioness"

Funny about your baby's weight! My first was 9lbs 2oz and my second (and last) was 10lbs 3oz and 23 1/2" long! I was 31 almost 32 when I had my last baby.

My husband's ex is going to be 40 or 41 when she has this baby that she's having...Her oldest will be almost 17 and her next almost 14....and diapers all over again.....

Carrie:-)

With my first pregnancy, I had terrible swelling problems that developed into pre-eclampsia. I also had gestational diabetes and had a c-section. I was miserable while pregnant.

My second pregnancy was so much easier. I had gestational diabetes, but without the salt limitations of my first, it was very do-able. I had a failed VBAC, so I did have a second c-section, but I don't let that bother me. Recovery was easier the second time around, too.

Over all, my second pregnancy was a much better experience. I'm almost 42 now and would love to have another baby. You will be fine!!