Menu

The Thanksgiving Kitchen -- post your winners and losers

Halftime Hope

I'll start.  🙂

Standing rib roast -- first time I've cooked one. Way overcooked. I think I counted the bones incorrectly to time the high heat sear; I'll have to go dissect the leftovers to see why I counted four bone ends, not two. No matter, it was still tasty, just not fork-tender. The gravy was phenomenal; so I'll make good soup with the left-overs.  Our grocery store was selling inexpensive beef, not choice or prime, so it was a good practice run. (This was a last minute decision, as none of us felt like having our usual.) 

The rest of the meal, including scalloped potatoes with cream, dijon, and swiss, turned out well.

• Like 8

My husband tried a cranberry curd tart recipe by America's Test kitchen. It was just okay. It might be that the almond flour he used was too old. I thought the curd had a nice texture. It wasn't as tart as my husband expected. 

He also made an apple pie--he has been cooking the apples ahead to prevent that gap between the top crust and the fruit, but unfortunately they got cooked a bit too much and it is more like chunky applesauce pie. It still tastes good.

His other two pies turned out great as usual.  😃

The two side dishes I made are standards and we usually don't have issues.  We didn't make the main dish--that was my cousin. The thing that shocked me is that she had a 22 pound bird and we had 18 people (all adults basically) and they ran out of turkey.  

@Halftime Hope we made prime rib once because I found it for 50% off at Aldi and I figured it was worth a shot at that price. It was just okay. We used an ATK recipe. I think we decided we would rather have filet if we were going to pay that much (if full price) for beef.  😃

• Like 2

Everything was a winner this year!  I protected the cheesecake with the penalty of death of anyone opened the oven during its resting period, so it was perfectly done.  The turkey breast was smoked perfectly.  The 8lbs of macaroni and cheese was perfectly creamy and there is currently a territorial contest over the leftovers.  And, everyone appreciated the salad being so light with fennel and pear.

The only loser - we sent ds down to the basement to grab a bottle of wine and he was kind enough to open it, but it was the one that we don't particularly enjoy.  It was fine enough, and worked, but it's on the no-buy list now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

No losers. But we kept it simple and stuck with tried and true recipes because Mark, dd, and I really wanted to have a low key but yummy celebration.

My test will be Christmas Smorrebrod. I currently of honey dough aging in my fridge to make Honningjerter, a cookie I have never made, and also Vaniljekranse which I have also never made while simultaneously trying to plan the decorations for a woodland themed two tier cake. I am not normally a baker so that is going to be a significant challenge.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, cintinative said:

we made prime rib once because I found it for 50% off at Aldi and I figured it was worth a shot at that price. It was just okay. We used an ATK recipe. I think we decided we would rather have filet if we were going to pay that much (if full price) for beef.  😃

Yep, we paid the price you'd pay for a chuck roast, so I didn't think it could hurt to try. I'm normally a decent cook, but this was definitely experimental. 😄 A probe thermometer with an outside-the-oven control box is now on my Christmas list. (I have meat thermometers, but never needed one that couldn't be read by opening the oven door.)

• Like 1

Ds wasn’t happy with the raisins in his breakfast bagel 🥯. I couldn’t remember if my other one liked tapioca or rice pudding. I got it wrong. 

Why is chicken no longer tender? It’s all so tough, even slow cooked. 

But…we brought dh’s new banjo out (they didn’t know we had it) and they have been having a blast on that. One ds is especially musical and is already sounding really great! 🪕

We watched Barbie and it was unanimous….it is not a man-bashing movie. Everyone around here seems to think so. 😊

All the desserts from Whole Foods were a hit. 

Edited by Indigo Blue
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m not a good cook, but for whatever reason God has mercy on me when it comes to making holiday meals.    Everything was perfect.  After leftovers are eaten, I’ll go back to my usual of cooking lackluster food, lol.   
The dressing especially got lots of raves and I fixed a huge platter which was almost all eaten.    It’s dh’s grandmother’s recipe and it’s time consuming so I’m glad everything appreciated it.    I sent ds home with a bunch of leftovers and he texted me late last night to thank me and told me everything was delicious.  🥰🥰🥰.   It was worth the headache just to hear that.   

• Like 13

11 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

The dressing especially got lots of raves and I fixed a huge platter which was almost all eaten.    It’s dh’s grandmother’s recipe and it’s time consuming so I’m glad everything appreciated it.    I sent ds home with a bunch of leftovers and he texted me late last night to thank me and told me everything was delicious.  🥰🥰🥰.   It was worth the headache just to hear that.   

Aw, I love this!  🙂

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I’m not a good cook, but for whatever reason God has mercy on me when it comes to making holiday meals.    Everything was perfect.  After leftovers are eaten, I’ll go back to my usual of cooking lackluster food, lol.   

That's so sweet! I'm glad he was appreciative and happy!

• Like 1

All winners. Wild rice and lentil pilaf with cranberries and nuts, sauteed Brussel sprouts with maple salted pecans, roasted delicata squash, London broil. Cranberry pie and apple pie. We still have plenty of leftovers. It was an easy meal to cook.

One dish did not get eaten. When I was cleaning up after the feast, I found the entire pan of candied yams in the oven - we hadn't even noticed one dish was missing on the table. There will be many sweet potatoes for lunch today 😉

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

Ours all turned out fine. I did a dry-brined, spatchcocked turkey and it was as good as turkey ever is for me (not a huge fan, except for the leftovers) but even with two different thermometers I found a couple of undercooked spots deep inside.  My husband made dinner rolls which are always good. 

A new thing was the way we did apple pie. He loves it, and always made it but it was never very good. It had that big gap between the crusts mentioned above. So I cooked the apples down, and we did it in an 8-inch cast iron skillet, galette style - single crust, in the bottom, then folded over top. It is just the right size for us and pre-cooking the apples made the flavor much better. I also made pumpkin pie and pumpkin cupcakes with a chai cream cheese frosting. The cupcakes were just OK but the frosting is fantastic! It starts with chai simple syrup which I will make again for drinks. 

For those whose prime rib didn't turn out well - if you want to try again, try the reverse sear method. https://www.seriouseats.com/perfect-prime-rib-beef-recipe  It has worked really well for us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I kept it really simple because DD had knee surgery last week and I worked M-W at both jobs. Despite some comments from MIL about the shortcuts and the "missing" stuffing/sweet potatoes/etc, everyone seemed happy.

Frozen pizza for the pickies who don't eat anything

Baked spaghetti w/ gluten free spaghetti

Prechopped Bagged salad w/ bottled salad dressing

Garlic bread - purchased spread on Walmart's French bread or purchased gluten free buns w/ same spread for those gluten free amongst the group

Homemade g-f brownies with a cheesecake layer or apple cider donuts from the local orchard (including a dozen that were g-f)

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 3

Ours was a success, but it was contributed to by almost everyone. Turkey was good, ham was a little dry, noodles and gravy, which dd made, were fantastic. The coconut cream pie I made did not set properly. I made a homemade Graham cracker crust which was delicious. 
Other things contributed by others: mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, broccoli salad, rolls, cranberry sauce, blueberry cream, apple pie, brownies, pumpkin pie. 

38 minutes ago, marbel said:

For those whose prime rib didn't turn out well - if you want to try again, try the reverse sear method. https://www.seriouseats.com/perfect-prime-rib-beef-recipe  It has worked really well for us. 

My brother-in-law, who is a great cook swears by the sear first and then sit, method. The problem was entirely my fault: I literally counted the round spots of marrow and bone at the end of the roast and timed accordingly, 15 x 4. The problem is that I didn't know the anatomy of that cut, that the rib bones, for lack of a more accurate term, branch into two parts or attach to a second part, so I should have high heat seared for 30 minutes, not an hour. If I'd have had the right kind of thermometer, we'd have adjusted our cook time, but with the sear first method, you must not open the oven door. 

I may try the sear last method next time, because I like the idea of dry brining the night before. (But I needed the correct thermometer for that.)

Thanks for letting me know reverse searing works!

• Like 1

I think this year's turkey was one of the better ones I've made...I didn't really think it was too dry, and I always think the turkey is too dry! 🙂

I made a pineapple pie for the first time, mostly because it sounded intriguing, and it was a huge hit. Definitely a recipe I will keep.

Everything else was pretty standard, and it was all good, so I think Thanksgiving was a success!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

We did two kinds of mocktails for the kids and it was such a hit I think we have to always do it. 🤣 One was like a sangria with sparkling cider and chunks of apples and pears. The other was  a cranberry-raspberry-pomegranate sparkler. 

I think I need to know how to make a sangria-like mock tail. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ginevra said:

I think I need to know how to make a sangria-like mock tail. 

I don’t think you can do it wrong. You just cut fruit into chunks and dump juice on it. (We had apples and pears) We put ice in the glass* along with a generous scoop of fruit, half a glass of the marinating juice and top it off with sparkling cider. I garnished the glass with orange wedges and cut the straws at an angle so they’d be shorter and could spear the fruit. I also made a simple syrup with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves to add to each drink. I got a ridiculous amount of credit for so little work. 

*I had these sturdy, cheap wine glasses that we bought years ago for the kids to do a Roman symposium for a SOTW history club. We used them for years but they were IN a donation box ready to go when I remembered them and took them to pass on to the little cousins. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I don’t think you can do it wrong. You just cut fruit into chunks and dump juice on it. (We had apples and pears) We put ice in the glass* along with a generous scoop of fruit, half a glass of the marinating juice and top it off with sparkling cider. I garnished the glass with orange wedges and cut the straws at an angle so they’d be shorter and could spear the fruit. I also made a simple syrup with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves to add to each drink. I got a ridiculous amount of credit for so little work. 

*I had these sturdy, cheap wine glasses that we bought years ago for the kids to do a Roman symposium for a SOTW history club. We used them for years but they were IN a donation box ready to go when I remembered them and took them to pass on to the little cousins. 

It sounds delicious! 

Also, I love when I realize I have the perfect thing…*before* it gets donated. 

Unfortunately we had to miss our family Thanksgiving  for health reasons. For the same reasons, we had a low key meal. We ordered the turkey from Honey Baked Ham. It was described as “roasted turkey” on the order page, so we were surprised by the honey coating. It wasn’t crispy like the ham coating & it tasted sugary almost carmel, so it’s probably the same coating they put on the ham. In retrospect we shouldn’t have been surprised, but there you go! We had mashed potatoes and Hawaiian rolls from the grocery store and made our usual dressing and cranberry sauce. The dressing was dry because there weren’t any turkey drippings for it, but it still tasted good, as did everything else.
There is turkey and dressing in the fridge and freezer and we’ll use the leftover cranberry sauce on ice cream, pie, scones - whatever we can come up with because we like it so much. We were relaxed, and that’s worth it all!  

• Like 4

@TechWife sounds perfect!  I have a question about the Hawaiian rolls.  I have two packages of them in the freezer.  I bought them because I got a great deal on them but I've never used them before.  Can you serve them just on their own like regular rolls?  I just assumed they were for some kind of sliders since I always see recipes for those, but I'd prefer just to serve them as a side dish.  Is that what you did?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shoeless said:

No big hits, no big misses. We keep it pretty traditional because that's what DS requests. 

My only complaint is that the turkey was a little dry.  Not bad, just a little dry.  Leftovers were juicy, though? 🤷‍♀️

Did you let the turkey sit for 30-60 minutes after it came out if the oven and before you carved it? That lets the juices redistribute. 

5 hours ago, Kassia said:

@TechWife sounds perfect!  I have a question about the Hawaiian rolls.  I have two packages of them in the freezer.  I bought them because I got a great deal on them but I've never used them before.  Can you serve them just on their own like regular rolls?  I just assumed they were for some kind of sliders since I always see recipes for those, but I'd prefer just to serve them as a side dish.  Is that what you did?  

Yes, we eat them as dinner rolls and use them for little snack sandwiches in addition to sliders. 

• Thanks 1

Dinner was about an hour late because I misread the directions on the oven bag for the turkey and set the oven to 325 instead of 350 but we had lots of snacks so all was well.  In fact, I think for Christmas we may just do the snacks with a ham.  We had pumpkin dip, veggie tray, sausage tray, cheese ball, crackers etc and it was very fun just snacking.  Lots of leftovers to send home with the elder generation and for us to keep because everyone was filled up on dips by the time the turkey was ready.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, regentrude said:

All winners. Wild rice and lentil pilaf with cranberries and nuts, sauteed Brussel sprouts with maple salted pecans, roasted delicata squash, London broil. Cranberry pie and apple pie. We still have plenty of leftovers. It was an easy meal to cook.

One dish did not get eaten. When I was cleaning up after the feast, I found the entire pan of candied yams in the oven - we hadn't even noticed one dish was missing on the table. There will be many sweet potatoes for lunch today 😉

Ok, I want all your recipes for this meal as all of this sounds amazing! I saw you already posted the rice dish recipe. Would love to have the others!

Layered vegetable casserole was a hit as always. Gluten free apple crisp was great! Pumpkin pie was amazing. Homemade cranberry sauce delish!

Gluten free corn casserole was just ok for me but everyone else enjoyed it. 

Those were our contributions to the family feast. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Melanie32 said:

Ok, I want all your recipes for this meal as all of this sounds amazing! I saw you already posted the rice dish recipe. Would love to have the others!

Sauted Brussel sprouts: shred sprouts, sautee in butter. Toss with pecans.
Make pecans: toast in pan until fragrant, add butter, maple syrup and salt. DO NOT LICK THE SPON! Seriously, the caramel is hot and will burn your tongue. ask me how I know

London broil: no recipe. Marinade (red wine, balsamic, soy sauce). Grill.

Delicata squash: no recipe. Just halve, take out seeds, slice, roast on a sheet with some olive oil.

My cranberry pie is loosely inspired by this Smitten Kitchen one: https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/11/cranberry-pie-with-thick-pecan-crumble/
No recipe for the apple pie.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Reporting back about that standing rib roast.  I looked at the bones, and sure enough, the anatomy is a deceiver: the 2 ribs had been cut right where each has a second bone attached, so I counted 4 bones and oven seared for twice as long as it should have! That said, the leftover meat, bones and gravy made a fabulous veggie-beef soup, probably the best I've ever made, so I'm not complaining. I have about three meals of that in my freezer now, so it's all good. 😉

On this long weekend of plenty of energy to experiment, I also made a "keto" cinnamon bun recipe for a family member with a recipe they found on the internet.  I've been reluctant to make the recipe, because I just wasn't convinced. Sure enough, I finally made it, and, just like I thought, it was absurdly similar to cinnamon spiral keto cookies -- nothing like rolls -- because anything made with almond "flour" is going to have that grainy texture. The rolls were also absolutely nothing like the photo on the webpage; I swear they made a batch of flour rolls and took a picture, then put the bogus photo with the "keto" recipe. That's two hours I'll never get back!

• Sad 3

I followed Cook's Illustrated's instructions for roasting a spatchcocked turkey on top of a pile of stuffing and the results were stellar.  This is definitely going to be my go-to method in the future.  However, just for the record, Cook's Illustrated is completely wrong that one should not dry-brine a kosher turkey.  After years of experimentation, it is my considered opinion that kosher turkeys should be dry-brined, but with about 30% less salt than a recipe recommends for a nonkosher turkey. 

DS13 and I made a lemon olive oil tart that was meh.  When we were baking DS thought we should bake the crust a bit longer but I dismissed his concerns.  Turns out he was right and I was wrong.   It quickly became moot, though, because as I was packing up the leftover tart DS18 dropped a ceramic dish on the counter right next to me, the shards went everywhere and I had to throw away the rest of the (mediocre) tart.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, freesia said:

Did you let the turkey sit for 30-60 minutes after it came out if the oven and before you carved it? That lets the juices redistribute. 

I let it rest, but probably not long enough. It was a smaller turkey than what we usually get, so my mental math for how long to cook and rest was probably off. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JennyD said:

I followed Cook's Illustrated's instructions for roasting a spatchcocked turkey on top of a pile of stuffing and the results were stellar.  This is definitely going to be my go-to method in the future.  However, just for the record, Cook's Illustrated is completely wrong that one should not dry-brine a kosher turkey.  After years of experimentation, it is my considered opinion that kosher turkeys should be dry-brined, but with about 30% less salt than a recipe recommends for a nonkosher turkey. 

DS13 and I made a lemon olive oil tart that was meh.  When we were baking DS thought we should bake the crust a bit longer but I dismissed his concerns.  Turns out he was right and I was wrong.   It quickly became moot, though, because as I was packing up the leftover tart DS18 dropped a ceramic dish on the counter right next to me, the shards went everywhere and I had to throw away the rest of the (mediocre) tart.

I wonder where the line is between dry brining and just plain seasoning with a rub?  When I spatchcock a Turkey I find that it doesn’t have to cook so long that it dries out so I don’t have to do any special prep beyond ordinary seasoning.   

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I wonder where the line is between dry brining and just plain seasoning with a rub?  When I spatchcock a Turkey I find that it doesn’t have to cook so long that it dries out so I don’t have to do any special prep beyond ordinary seasoning.   

I think all whole poultry* benefits from an overnight dry rub/brine with salt, honestly.  Kosher meat is salted as part of the kashering process so the thought is that it doesn't need additional brining, but IME whole chickens and turkeys still come out better if I rub with salt (and other spices) the night before and let them sit uncovered in the fridge overnight.

* Possibly an overgeneralization, as I have not yet tried this with duck.

• Thanks 1

OK, all you turkey people: my family really doesn't care for turkey because the turkey breast is generally quite dry; gravy is mandatory to make it palatable. One year we bought a turkey from a local place that is known for their deep fried cajun turkey, and it was marginally better.

With that as context, do you think spatchcocking --which seems to be all the rage -- does much for improving the overall juiceness of the turkey, perhap due to less time roasting required?

We didn't find that roasting only a bone-in turkey breast--which would be about the same as spatchcocking -- did much for improving the meat being so lean/dry.  Thoughts on this? I'm willing to give it a go if you found something that really works! Thanks in advance!

27 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

This sounds really interesting. Could you share the recipe, please? I’ve never even heard of pineapple pie.

• 40 oz. crushed pineapple with juice
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 6 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 2 pie crusts
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbsp. milk
  • 1 Tbsp. white sugar

Preheat oven to 425.

Combine crushed pineapple with juice, 1 cup sugar, cornstarch, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, then boil for 1 minute. Cool slightly.

Line a 10-inch pie plate with crust. Beat egg and brush crust with it to prevent sogginess. Pour filling into the prepared pie dish. Cover with remaining crust; press and flute the edges to seal. Cut a few steam vents on top (or do a lattice crust), brush crust with milk and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. sugar.

Bake until golden brown, about 35 minutes. Serve with whipped cream and flaked coconut if desired.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

OK, all you turkey people: my family really doesn't care for turkey because the turkey breast is generally quite dry; gravy is mandatory to make it palatable. One year we bought a turkey from a local place that is known for their deep fried cajun turkey, and it was marginally better.

With that as context, do you think spatchcocking --which seems to be all the rage -- does much for improving the overall juiceness of the turkey, perhap due to less time roasting required?

We didn't find that roasting only a bone-in turkey breast--which would be about the same as spatchcocking -- did much for improving the meat being so lean/dry.  Thoughts on this? I'm willing to give it a go if you found something that really works! Thanks in advance!

Do you have a meat thermometer so you can pull it just before it’s reached temperature and let it climb a few more degrees when you take it out? Do you season it the day ahead? Do you let it rest at least half an hour before cutting?

I do find it’s easier to make a juicy Turkey when spatchcocking because the whole birth cooks faster, but I still use a meat thermometer so it doesn’t go too far. If you want to get extra fussy you can separate the white meat from the dark meat and monitor them with separate thermometers. The white meat will cook faster. That pop up timer springs too late and you’ll overcook the bird., so don’t go by that. Also, make sure you’re not following the older temperature guidelines that are way too high. 

• Like 1