Menu

S/o What makes something a sandwich?

Terabith

6 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

What about open faced sandwiches and sandwich rolls and submarine sandwiches???

I can accept an open faced sandwich as a subcategory.

A roll is a roll.

Submarine sandwiches are either subs, which is definitely not short for any kind of sandwich since they are a roll, or a roll.

Hmmm…I don’t think of hot dogs as sandwiches. 

Although….if you go to Arby’s and get a roast beef sandwich, that’s a sandwich because they actually call it a roast beef sandwich on their commercial. It’s their famous  roast beef sandwich. A hamburger isn’t a sandwich, though. I think I’m confused now. 

• Like 2

I think layers of protein and condiments or veggies and condiments or protein and cheese,which or cheese with veggies, this kind of thing between to layers of bread like substance is a sandwich. So a burger is a sandwich. A hot dog is a sandwich because rolls are a form of bread, and if the roll was cut where it joins, it would be no different than two individual pieces of bread. I am not saying hot dogs in buns make good sandwiches, just that they meet the definition.

A sub is a sandwich, it meets all the requirements.

What is NOT a sandwich, and I do not care how much my weirdo husbands says it is, is his toast with mayo, pickles sliced and laying on top, with garlic powder spread on top. This belongs in a category called, "Culinary Offense" which also includes escargo.

• Haha 8

58 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

Agreed, but I’d go further and say a burger is not a sandwich either.  Those both belong in their own categories.

So what is a piece of chicken in a hamburger bun (aka Chick fil a or Mcdonald's)?  I think of both of those as a chicken sandwich but then it would be a sandwich because it has chicken but not when it has beef and that doesn't quite make sense to me either.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I can accept an open faced sandwich as a subcategory.

A roll is a roll.

Submarine sandwiches are either subs, which is definitely not short for any kind of sandwich since they are a roll, or a roll.

I think we need to tease out the difference between a roll and a bun. 

I guess a hot dog could technically be a sandwich, but it’s hard for me to think of it that way. It really is more like a taco or gyro. And the nearby Greek restaurant menu offers a “gyro sandwich.”

And then what about kolaches and bierocks? 

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

I think layers of protein and condiments or veggies and condiments or protein and cheese,which or cheese with veggies, this kind of thing between to layers of bread like substance is a sandwich. So a burger is a sandwich. A hot dog is a sandwich because rolls are a form of bread, and if the roll was cut where it joins, it would be no different than two individual pieces of bread. I am not saying hot dogs in buns make good sandwiches, just that they meet the definition.

What is NOT a sandwich, and I do not care how much my weirdo husbands says it is, is his toast with mayo, pickles sliced and laying on top, with garlic powder spread on top. This belongs in a category called, "Culinary Offense" which also includes escargo.

So maybe a sandwich requires two disconnected pieces of bread?

And I’m with you on the weird sandwiches. Grandpa combines mayo, tomato and peanut butter and I will never call that anything other than a disaster, certainly not a sandwich. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

A hot dog is not a sandwich; it is in the main category of Hot Dogs, not a sub-category of Sandwiches. Same for hamburgers. 

Subs are a sub-category of sandwich. 

And pickle sandwiches are a DELIGHT. I use Tabasco sauce, but garlic powder also sounds like an acceptable variation. 

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

Definitely a cultural thing. I've heard that Americans call hamburgers, sandwiches. We don't (in Australia). It's 2 pieces of bread with something between it, preferably vegemite (and while I've heard open sandwiches exist, I've never seen one). 

I'm going to say that Americans actually do not call hamburgers sandwiches. We only call them hamburgers, lol. No one would ever offer you a hamburger sandwich. 

16 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

So what is a piece of chicken in a hamburger bun (aka Chick fil a or Mcdonald's)?  I think of both of those as a chicken sandwich but then it would be a sandwich because it has chicken but not when it has beef and that doesn't quite make sense to me either.

Those are chicken sandwiches, yes. The Rules of Sandwiches can be complex, but chicken on a bun is a sandwich. A beef patty on a bun is not a sandwich, but a ground beef mixture on a bun could be a Sloppy Joe or could be a loose meat sandwich. Unlike hamburgers or hot dogs, it is acceptable to call it a Sloppy Joe sandwich, albeit slightly weird. 

2 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

I guess a hot dog could technically be a sandwich, but it’s hard for me to think of it that way. It really is more like a taco or gyro. And the nearby Greek restaurant menu offers a “gyro sandwich.”

If they put the typical gyro fixings onto slices of bread, it can successfully fall into Sandwich sub-category of the main category Gyros. If it's on pita bread, it's just a Gyro, and calling it a gyro sandwich definitely loses points. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, bookbard said:

Definitely a cultural thing. I've heard that Americans call hamburgers, sandwiches. We don't (in Australia). It's 2 pieces of bread with something between it, preferably vegemite (and while I've heard open sandwiches exist, I've never seen one). 

I don't know where you heard it, but I can tell you that in all my life (and I'm not young, sigh) I only very rarely recall ever hearing a hamburger called a sandwich, and almost always by someone elderly. Definitely a quirk, an oddity. I'd say 99.999+ percent of the time it's just called a hamburger.

Although now that I think about it, it is a little weird that a hamburger is a hamburger but a chicken (or fish) sandwich is a sandwich. But it also doesn't make sense that we call hamburgers hamburgers when there's no ham in them. They should be beefburgers. Or beef sandwiches. I'm so confused now.

ETA: Yes, I know the (supposed) origin of the word "hamburger." But I'm still noting the lack of consistency.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 4

A sandwich is made with square pieces of bread.  It can be an open sandwich with only one piece of bread, or a closed sandwich.  

If the bread is round and the contents is hot, it is a hamburger (veggie burger, beef burger, chicken burger, etc)

If the bread is round and the contents is cold, it is a roll (cheese roll, ham roll).

If the bread is oblong and contains a sausage, its a hotdog.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, katilac said:

A hot dog is not a sandwich; it is in the main category of Hot Dogs, not a sub-category of Sandwiches. Same for hamburgers. 

Subs are a sub-category of sandwich. 

And pickle sandwiches are a DELIGHT. I use Tabasco sauce, but garlic powder also sounds like an acceptable variation. 

I'm going to say that Americans actually do not call hamburgers sandwiches. We only call them hamburgers, lol. No one would ever offer you a hamburger sandwich. 

Those are chicken sandwiches, yes. The Rules of Sandwiches can be complex, but chicken on a bun is a sandwich. A beef patty on a bun is not a sandwich, but a ground beef mixture on a bun could be a Sloppy Joe or could be a loose meat sandwich. Unlike hamburgers or hot dogs, it is acceptable to call it a Sloppy Joe sandwich, albeit slightly weird. 

If they put the typical gyro fixings onto slices of bread, it can successfully fall into Sandwich sub-category of the main category Gyros. If it's on pita bread, it's just a Gyro, and calling it a gyro sandwich definitely loses points. 

You need to come to Michigan where many dining establishments list burgers under the heading of "sandwiches" on their menus. It isn't universally true at all that people do not think of burgers as a kind of sandwich. 

No one says "Would you like a BLT sandwich?" either. They just call it a BLT. By your logic a BLT is therefore not a sandwich. I haven't heard anyone say "Grilled Cheese sandwich" in years, just grilled cheese, so this must mean that grilled cheese is not a sandwich.

The definition of sandwich from Merriam Webster is, "Two or more slices of bread or split roll having a filling in between them" and also "a single slice of bread covered with food." Therefore, a hamburger and a hot dog are sandwiches since they are the filling in a split roll.

😁

6 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

@MercyA ……there is an argument going on! People are in here saying hotdogs are sandwiches! Even a single slice of bread with toppings is being classified as a sandwich. They are arguing!

😁

Well, to be fair, some things are worth arguing over, right? 😉 

My DH has always maintained that a hot dog is a sandwich. It is NOT. The end. 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Hannah said:

If the bread is round and the contents is hot, it is a hamburger (veggie burger, beef burger, chicken burger, etc)

what about a breakfast sandwich made with bagel or English muffin, egg, cheese, and maybe meat?  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

@MercyA ……there is an argument going on! People are in here saying hotdogs are sandwiches! Even a single slice of bread with toppings is being classified as a sandwich. They are arguing!

😁

@MercyA should be so happy. We're arguing about sandwiches and pies. In one thread not long ago I think there was even an argument/discussion about whether we at The Hive argue or just discuss things! 😂😂🤣🤣

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

what about a breakfast sandwich made with bagel or English muffin, egg, cheese, and maybe meat?  

That is not a sandwich, its a bagel or an English muffin.  Different things.  As are wraps or flatbreads.  They're not sandwiches. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

You need to come to Michigan where many dining establishments list burgers under the heading of "sandwiches" on their menus. It isn't universally true at all that people do not think of burgers as a kind of sandwich. 

No one says "Would you like a BLT sandwich?" either. They just call it a BLT. By your logic a BLT is therefore not a sandwich. I haven't heard anyone say "Grilled Cheese sandwich" in years, just grilled cheese, so this must mean that grilled cheese is not a sandwich.

The definition of sandwich from Merriam Webster is, "Two or more slices of bread or split roll having a filling in between them" and also "a single slice of bread covered with food." Therefore, a hamburger and a hot dog are sandwiches since they are the filling in a split roll.

😁

I don't think listing hamburgers under "sandwiches" on a menu is a good argument that they are, in fact, sandwiches. It's just a convenience, a space saving thing, for many restaurants, I think. Plus your own argument regarding BLTs also works for hamburgers. BLTs are generally listed under "sandwiches" on menus but nobody says "BLT sandwich." The same is true of hamburgers.

13 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I don't think listing hamburgers under "sandwiches" on a menu is a good argument that they are, in fact, sandwiches. It's just a convenience, a space saving thing, for many restaurants, I think. Plus your own argument regarding BLTs also works for hamburgers. BLTs are generally listed under "sandwiches" on menus but nobody says "BLT sandwich." The same is true of hamburgers.

Hamburgers meet the definition of sandwich. Sorry. They just do. 😁

14 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Hamburgers meet the definition of sandwich. Sorry. They just do. 😁

I've never said hamburgers are sandwiches. 😉 

My only claim is that the overwhelming majority of Americans don't refer to them as sandwiches.

Just like BLTs. 😉 

According to the Earl of Sandwich, (who allegedly invented the sandwich, though this may not be accurate) one can keep their hands from getting messy while playing cards by putting food between two pieces of bread. 🥪

So, with this, I state my case that one piece of bread with stuff on top cannot be a sandwich. 😝🥯

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

According to the Earl of Sandwich, (who allegedly invented the sandwich, though this may not be accurate) one can keep their hands from getting messy while playing cards by putting food between two pieces of bread. 🥪

So, with this, I state my case that one piece of bread with stuff on top cannot be a sandwich. 😝🥯

Well, if the Earl of Sandwich said it, then we better get in line with it! 😁

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

Until you fold it in half…

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Katy said:

A giant hot dog cut into slices is basically bologna. And everyone knows there are bologna sandwiches. So of course hot dogs are sandwiches. 

😮

Wiki says bologna is a sausage. I would argue that while all hot dogs are sausage, not all sausages are hot dogs.

Also according to Wiki: "In the Southern United States, a bologna cake exists which is bologna slices layered with seasoned cream cheese to make the appearance of a cake."

And so I have to ask...is this really a cake? I'm going to say NO. 

image.png.282c37c69a45dc06476756387531ad6e.png

Edited by MercyA
Added photo of the monstrosity
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

@MercyA should be so happy. We're arguing about sandwiches and pies. In one thread not long ago I think there was even an argument/discussion about whether we at The Hive argue or just discuss things! 😂😂🤣🤣

I am! Nothing like a little friendly contention on the board to liven up the day. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, MercyA said:

😮

Wiki says bologna is a sausage. I would argue that while all hot dogs are sausage, not all sausages are hot dogs.

Also according to Wiki: "In the Southern United States, a bologna cake exists which is bologna slices layered with seasoned cream cheese to make the appearance of a cake."

And so I have to ask...is this really a cake? I'm going to say NO. 

image.png.282c37c69a45dc06476756387531ad6e.png

Definitely not a cake

• Like 3

Also, my bread is not a sandwich. It did not rise properly despite fresh yeast and a perfect environment. Grrrrrr....

It is dense and wants to fall apart. I have managed to make it into garlic toast instead with some asiago on top to help hold it together. Done tell me that is an open face sandwich. Just no. It is garlic toast.

• Sad 4