Menu

What’s your Christmas decor this year?

Katy

I’m not usually someone who buys new Christmas decorations every year but I went crazy buying a bunch of new stuff today. Last year I wanted these little red cardinals for my guest bathroom but they were sold out… so I decided to go before Halloween. Target, Hobby Lobby, Nordstrom Rack and Homegoods. I really like that Red Stewart Plaid I’ve seen in a handful of higher end stores so I bought a bunch of red plaid (faint white, green, and navy lines) & cardinal themed stuff. 

Are you someone who chooses a new theme and decorations every year, or do you stick with tried & true for decades on end? What are you doing this year? 

• Like 4

I almost started a Christmas decorating thread earlier this week but thought others would think it’s too early, so I’m glad you did this because I love decorating for Christmas!

I reuse because I like tradition. That said, I changed almost everything over a couple of years starting when we moved a few years ago. 

In 2020 outside we:

Replaced the worn out giant bows we put on the porch columns (we used them at our old house and they had faded to nearly orange),

Added lighted balls to hang from the balcony ceiling

Added black lanterns with outdoor LED candles and red bows to the front steps

In 2020 inside we:

got some towels for the powder room and guest room  

added two Christmas  throw pillows for the guest room bed

In 2021 outside:

Brag alert: we won the neighborhood decorating contest in 2021!

Replaced our worn, shedding garland with pre-lit garland from costco

Added outdoor Christmas rug, throw pillows and a red throw to the rocking chair side

Added a Christmas pillow to the bench side 

2021 inside: 

added prelit garland to indoor staircase and second floor rails

A few more throw pillows here & there

hung a wreath over the fireplace that didn’t work out right & we ended up taking it down 

New indoor prelit Christmas tree because the old one croaked. 

Added small minimalist-style Christmas trees from the Target dollar spot to the powder room and guest room bathroom counters as well as to the top of the trunk in the guest room

In 2022 outside: 

Added lighted balls to the bottom porch roof to match the balcony overhead

In 2022 inside: 

Added a Christmas quilt & pillow shams to our bed

Added fireplace mantle decorations - a small tree, candles & garland.

Added plush throws and Christmas pillows to the sunroom 

This year all I’m planning to do is replace the bows on the porch lanterns because the old ones are badly faded.

I’m hoping the cost of quality outdoor fairy light strings will come down in a couple more years because I want to hang them from the porch & balcony ceilings in large quantities so it looks like light is streaming down. I can’t easily explain that, but I’ve seen it in magazines for a couple of years now. I’m hoping it will be more affordable soon. 

ETA: I did get some throw pillow covers for the living room and a quilt for the guest room on clearance after Christmas last year, so they will be put to use this year for the first time.

Also, I’ve been looking for some casual Christmas dishes for everyday use - I’m going to hold out until I find a pattern I really like because I’ll never buy them again - such a luxury! 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, Katy said:

I’m not usually someone who buys new Christmas decorations every year but I went crazy buying a bunch of new stuff today. Last year I wanted these little red cardinals for my guest bathroom but they were sold out… so I decided to go before Halloween. Target, Hobby Lobby, Nordstrom Rack and Homegoods. I really like that Red Stewart Plaid I’ve seen in a handful of higher end stores so I bought a bunch of red plaid (faint white, green, and navy lines) & cardinal themed stuff. 

Are you someone who chooses a new theme and decorations every year, or do you stick with tried & true for decades on end? What are you doing this year? 

Christmas cardinals are so pretty! It’s so much fun to see what’s out there! 

• Like 3

I had my "eclectic" tree.  Range from craft day to Radko (and other higher end stuff).  I bought dh a new set of candle lights last year . . .(I ended up on ebay to get lights that were far enough apart on the strands to actually be useful).    I've added to it over the years.  made a nice, unique, red velvet skirt.
Then . . I started crocheting snowflakes. so - that is my theme tree (icicles, spruce cones, snowballs, etc).  I don't have a place in my family room for a tree.   I switch off.  if we really put pu the tree while 2dd is here, that will be there tree.  the breakable stuff is easily replaced.

In both cases, I have enough for an 11' tree . . . I've downsized.  Last year, we got rid of our 9' tree, and now we have a 7'? 7 1/2'? tree. . . it's much easier for me to decorate.  Though sometimes I miss looking up at the big one . . . I don't miss those ladders. . . 
For either, I like realistic greenery. and lights. Dh wants a live tree this year.  we planted nobles several years back, and they need to be harvested!  I will NOT put lights on a tree!  I refuse!  That's why God made prelit trees!

2dd is coming for thanksgiving, I plan on sending her home with some of my ornaments.  . . . sure, you can make it fit in your suitcase.  or you can have a satchel to carry on board the plane.  there are four of you . . . 

I did buy a couple strands of mini/lights LED that are solar.  I put them on a couple baby trees out front.  heeheeheeheehee.  

• Like 4

@TechWife

Nordstrom Rack had a bunch of Christmas china for 30-60% off. The one that caught my eye was the Spode Christmas Tree set. Probably because they had every specialty piece I’ve never seen for sale. I don’t see it on their website, but if you like the pattern and you have a store near you, try it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I definitely stick to the same stuff but depending on the house/budget I have bought new things. I have our side table Christmas village which I have added to over the years. I also have bought new Christmas wreaths once they start looking dingy. I have also a dining table centerpiece that I put out that I bought when we bought our large dining room table. 

Last year my MIL bought me Christmas hand towels. I am so excited to display them this year in our new house. 

I would buy a ton more but the babies I have keep growing to be toddlers so things can easily be destroyed in my house. 

• Like 5

At first I read "Rod Stewart plaid" and was very confused. Then I got it right. 😎

We mostly use the same things but every year we pick up an item or two, usually something for the mantel.

I don't want a full set of Christmas dishes because we don't have storage space, but I'd like some themed dessert-sized plates this year. Last year we bought bright white china to replace our old cream stuff, so I want to add a few seasonal things. I haven't gone looking yet though. I guess I should start! 

• Like 4

Don't know.   In fact, I dont' think our Christmas tree will fit in our new house.   I think it is a 10' tree and the new ceiling is 9' tall.   There isn't even a tall foyer as they enclosed that into a sitting room in the master bedroom.

So, I may need a new tree this year!

We will be newly into the house so I am not sure we will do much this year.  In fact, I am not even sure we can FIND our Christmas stuff before Christmas!

But we will have a tree of some sort for sure and I will figure out the stockings and mantle decorations and maybe a centerpiece. 

That will probably be all.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Katy said:

@TechWife

Nordstrom Rack had a bunch of Christmas china for 30-60% off. The one that caught my eye was the Spode Christmas Tree set. Probably because they had every specialty piece I’ve never seen for sale. I don’t see it on their website, but if you like the pattern and you have a store near you, try it.

We have a Nordstrom Rack nearby. The Spode Christmas Tree is more formal than what I’m looking for but I’ll definitely go and see what else they have. Thanks so much for the tip. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alysee said:

I definitely stick to the same stuff but depending on the house/budget I have bought new things. I have our side table Christmas village which I have added to over the years. I also have bought new Christmas wreaths once they start looking dingy. I have also a dining table centerpiece that I put out that I bought when we bought our large dining room table. 

Last year my MIL bought me Christmas hand towels. I am so excited to display them this year in our new house. 

I would buy a ton more but the babies I have keep growing to be toddlers so things can easily be destroyed in my house. 

I love Christmas villages. There are so many different ones and everyone sets them up differently, making each personal. Seeing them grow over the years is fun, too, as people make different decisions on what to add when. A store, a church, another house, a skating rink - the possibilities are amazing. 

• Like 3

The main thing I’m hoping to add this year is Trader Joe’s felt wool garland for our Christmas tree. I’ve been using ribbon and last year I saw this and fell in love, but didn’t buy it. My mission is to snag it this year early! Thankfully, I’ve got some very kind  boardies on the look-out for me @Corraleno and @Arcadia ☺️

Re: dishes. I LOVE dishes and will talk about them on any and all threads lol. I bought some Christmas ones in 2020 after *years* of wanting some. I pored over the choices like my life depended on it, asked my dh and dc’s input, pondered for weeks and then chose these Pfaltzgraff. I’ve been happy with them. 

I do add an ornament each year from anywhere I find one I like. I try to make it special to where we are living at the time since we move quite often. I usually do something handmade and local.

My other new thing to add this year is the Lego gingerbread house. I asked for it for Christmas last year, then my oldest ds built it for me (I didn’t want to do that part lol), and then I packed it away to save for this year. I can’t wait to pull it out and display it. It’s so incredibly cute. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, marbel said:

At first I read "Rod Stewart plaid" and was very confused. Then I got it right. 😎

We mostly use the same things but every year we pick up an item or two, usually something for the mantel.

I don't want a full set of Christmas dishes because we don't have storage space, but I'd like some themed dessert-sized plates this year. Last year we bought bright white china to replace our old cream stuff, so I want to add a few seasonal things. I haven't gone looking yet though. I guess I should start! 

That’s a good idea to add seasonal to your existing set. I’ll have to think about that one. 

34 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Re: dishes. I LOVE dishes and will talk about them on any and all threads lol. I bought some Christmas ones in 2020 after *years* of wanting some. I pored over the choices like my life depended on it, asked my dh and dc’s input, pondered for weeks and then chose these Pfaltzgraff. I’ve been happy with them. 

I do add an ornament each year from anywhere I find one I like. I try to make it special to where we are living at the time since we move quite often. I usually do something handmade and local.

My other new thing to add this year is the Lego gingerbread house. I asked for it for Christmas last year, then my oldest ds built it for me (I didn’t want to do that part lol), and then I packed it away to save for this year. I can’t wait to pull it out and display it. It’s so incredibly cute. 

Oh I love dishes, too! I have to stop myself from buying them frequently, especially dessert plates. We don’t even eat dessert often, but they’re affordable and there are so many different patterns. I understand why having plate collections on display was a thing, though I haven’t seen one in ages. Maybe it was a generational thing. 

One of my favorite things to do is to give Christmas ornaments to newlyweds! It’s so much fun - each year there are different options.

I’m gonna have to check out this LEGO Christmas stuff - it sounds like a lot of fun. 

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, TechWife said:

Oh I live dishes, too! I have to stop myself from buying them frequently, especially dessert plates. We don’t even eat dessert often, but they’re affordable and there are so many different patterns. I understand why having plate collections on display was a thing, though I haven’t seen one in ages. Maybe it was a generational thing. 

One of my favorite things to do is to give Christmas ornaments to newlyweds! It’s so much fun - each year there are different options.

I’m gonna have to check out this LEGO Christmas stuff - it sounds like a lot of fun. 

7 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

There’s a Lego ginger bread house? Must go look!

Same on the dishes! I truly have to practice restraint bc I see, love, and want so many! And not just new ones—I have and love dishes from all the women in my life—maybe just a cup, or an old gravy bowl, or etc.

If you like Christmas villages, then yeah, you need to check out the Lego sets (especially if you have or had Lego fans). My “village” is different Christmas Lego sets bought over the years for my kids—trees, Santa, reindeer, truck and presents, etc. It wasn’t until a year or so ago that I decided to start adding to the collection because *I* wanted those new $100 sets lol. Lego comes out with one a year and it’ll stick around for a couple of years and then go away. Recent years has been the gingerbread house, Santa’s workshop, holiday Main Street, and this year is an alpine lodge. They’re all adorable. I’m debating on whether I want Santa’s house this year bc it’ll probably be gone soon…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TechWife said:

Oh dear. I just went to the Pottery Barn website. This table runner is calling my name. 
I also remembered that I was thinking about changing the picture on our mantle to a blowup of a Christmas Carol - specifically Oh, Come, Oh, Come Emmanuel, if I can find it. 

That is beautiful! While you’re there, you might as well throw these in your cart, too. 😁

• Like 1

Since we have been adopting Danish and Viking traditions in honor of Mark's side of the family, I decorate in a bit more Hygge way. Our tree is simple, tall and thin artificial with white lights, artifical berry garland, small fabric Nisse ornaments, wood ornaments stained with cherry stain (Mark makes.them with his laser cutter, reindeer, viking longship, etc.), a couple of ornaments we purchased when we visited Iceland, a tree of life symbol, a Danish woven heart, and a rustic star on the top of the tree. I have green stockings for each of our adult kids and their significant others, but I do not have enough for our honorary kids and their spouses so I need to buy four more that will go well with the others. I have small stockings for our three grandchildren for when we are with them. However, they are having a quiet Christmas at home, and we will not be traveling to them so their parents are handling stockings this year.

I have a homemade, quilted table runner for both the dining table as well as our coffee table, and for centerpieces, Mark made beautiful birch log, candle holders which I wrapped with berry, pine, and pinecone garland. We have battery no permitted taper candles for them as well as real tapers. I have a fun Nisse/Tomte themed Christmas quilt for the couch, and some nice, rustic Christmas themed pillows for the couch as well. I have a small display of simple snowmen that goes on our plant shelves in the east facing window, and I have a display of Nisse on stands for the baby grand piano. We put a small lighted tree on the front steps, a simple pine wreath on the front and the back doors with wooden Peace on Earth signs. It doesn't take me long to decorate.

The photos are of the couch pillows, my kitchen window, and a cake that I am making this year for Christmas Eve Smorrebrod.

318568871_2083618575166844_4732724440626584429_n.jpg

318981705_2083620185166683_8738348939711118526_n.jpg

015310d0c68d636ebd3fc5122c007865.jpg

• Like 8

I don't remove things very often, but I do add things. I'm not sure about this year yet, but I do remember buying a nice Santa in January. Last year, I added a gnome tree. That is in addition to the big family tree & the Red&White tree that goes in our bar/lounge area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QueenCat said:

I don't remove things very often, but I do add things. I'm not sure about this year yet, but I do remember buying a nice Santa in January. Last year, I added a gnome tree. That is in addition to the big family tree & the Red&White tree that goes in our bar/lounge area.

What’s a gnome tree? Like a Christmas tree with a gnome theme or a gnome shaped like a tree? 

ETA: I did google, but there are way too many options to know which is more likely! 

Edited by Katy

I like Spode Christmas dishes and the Williams Sonoma ‘Twas The Night Before Christmas ones.  I have lots of the Spode and a few serving pieces of the WS.  The WS is used mostly at my office, and the Spode at the cabin.  I am a ‘little tilt’ decorator for most holidays, but for Christmas I get pretty ‘everywhere’.  I use things year after year.  I have a large, gaudy 3 car Christmas train perched above the stairs from the great room to the main bedroom, and a Stern, a classic crèche, and tons of ornaments and other decorations hanging everywhere.  Multiple Advent calendars.  Lots and lots of baked out pine ones.  I like to display ornaments in big bowls or quiche pans here and there.  Tons and tons of candles.  This year I want to add HP hanging candles.  Someday I would like one of those German rotating villages, but I really don’t have a good place to display it.

I’m not planning on buying anything new this year, although I WILL be looking at that Nordstrom Rack selection, thanks for the tip, but I am pulling out things that have not seen the light of day for some years, and they will be newish at that point.  Like my old dollhouse, and the tiny Christmas tree that went in it when I was a kid.  I finally have a good place for it, and I’m looking forward to displaying it!

• Like 3

There is a little tiny sapling that was growing out of a broken off branch of a big tree last year.  It’s so cute!  We had some tree work done, and among other things they trimmed all the lower branches off of that tree.  I asked them to leave that particular one, and cleared for more sunshine, that little tree grew quite a bit in the last year.  

I keep wanting to figure out how to get lights on it at Christmas time, but it’s outside in a harsh climate, and very high off the ground.  Still, it’s so tempting.  

Here it is—you can see it more clearly because there is so much fog behind it that day:

IMG_0643.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

The majority of our Christmas stuff is sentimental, so no big changes.

Same. 

Youngest ds gets a new ornament each year made by me.  I make them for all his teammates, so some have as many as ds, some only one, and one of his former teammates has as many - but in each of her team's colors (I do them for her entire team, too).

That is about our only anticipated change, lol, maybe a new table wreath if the baseball players are out selling them this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katy said:

What’s a gnome tree? Like a Christmas tree with a gnome theme or a gnome shaped like a tree? 

ETA: I did google, but there are way too many options to know which is more likely! 

A Christmas tree decorated gnomes. Plus larger gnomes on the ground,  at the base.i use a small, 4ft tree.

• Like 1

Back in 2009, I think it was, I got tired of my mis-matched Christmas decorations, so the day after Christmas, I went to WalMart and bought new, matching stuff at half off and then waited a year to use it.

And then, I did the same thing for about 4 years in a row, until I had 4 sets of matching decorations. In future years, I was able to mix and match a bit from the 4 sets and shake things up a bit.

But I’ve gotten a bit tired of what I have and a lot of it is small. This year, I’ll probably go for bigger decorations, so that just one or two will fill the area and it’ll probably be trees and reindeer. 

• Like 2

I’m a traditional, sentimental kind of Christmas girl. I rarely buy new Christmas decorations unless something of mine wears out or breaks. I just love pulling out each item and remembering who gave it to me. I have lots of stuff that was my mother’s, some that belonged to my grandmothers and aunts. Other items were bought for me and given as gifts and I treasure them. 

Christmas decor for me is all about bright reds and greens and colored lights and bringing out the kid in me though I’m usually more reserved in decorating for other holidays. I usually like my holiday/seasonal decorations to blend with my normal decor but not at Christmas! 

• Like 4

I’m a sentimental decorator too, but I’m also challenged by my house (so dusty—the HVAC people talked us into a crappy filter system) and timing. Growing up we decorated a little later and left it up later. The local flavor is not that. 

One fun thing I have is a couple of caroling books, complete with music and all the verses, that were passed out by my hometown’s jewelry store in probably the forties or so. They look like they were made yesterday and are meant to be pretty. They were stashed in a sewing box that I have from a great aunt. One of the books has drawings of well-known carillons, and as an adult, I live half an hour away from one of the carillons in the book.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'm gonna try to skip out on the whole holiday thing this year.  Funny story, DH gave away my Christmas tree last year.  My mom admired and coveted it, and he just gave it to her. 😂 I might get some prelit birch trees instead and keep them up all winter.

You're a better person than I am. I wouldn't think that funny at all. But, I would use the occasion to go all out in replacing it!

• Like 2

I love seeing other people's pretty decorations and ideas, but we put out the same thing every year: an ever-expanding Christmas village, a classic nativity set, stockings for DD and the animals, a Christmas tree, and the ceramic reindeer my grandpa painted. ❤️ DD chooses a new ornament every year to reflect the past year and her interests, and those are always fun to see again. 

My mom gave me her set of Corelle Christmas dishes and I love them:

image.thumb.png.a55fef4ca6dc93a8f5eba99054962da8.png  

• Like 3

I do love spode. But I have not purchased Christmas dishes because inherited my grandmother's entire King's Crown Ruby Thumbprint collection. I can serve 32 on it if necessary though I have no desire to host anything quite that big. It is glassware of the perfect color for Christmas. My grandma would put pine, roses, and cones on the table at Christmas, a cornucopia at TDay, and lilies with hyacinth at Easter. When we had a 40th anniversary dinner party for my folks an dear aunt and uncle (married within 3 weeks of each other), I used lilacs with it. Seems to work for every special occasion. Here is a photo (not of mine since I do not have it out at this time) of the glassware. I have the pinch cups as well as water goblets and iced tea glasses, and have to mix and match in order to do 32. I did that once at Thanksgiving. I gave all the young kids salad size plates and punch cups which gave me enough dinner plates, goblets, and iced tea glasses for the adults. I also have three large serving bowls, one large footed compote, one small footed compote, the pinch bowl, the tidbit tray (very handy to be able to go up and have a lot of food in a small table space), torte plate, sugar and creamer. I need the covered butter dish, salt and pepper, and there was this whole condiment set in a silver setting that was amazing but rare and goes for a bazillion dollars so I don't think I am ever going to collect that.  Anyway, I do love those spode, but I think I better stop looking at it because I should really just keep using grandma's set.

I would love for Carol to post a photo of her table set with the spode!

78dbef83d5cc385cf9dbf54672a84e75.jpg

• Like 2

Over the years as kids left nest, I cut down dramatically on decor from being one of the houses on suggested lights tour list to almost minimalist and indoor only.  We have a set of three Costco table top white glass trees with color changing light, cat nativity set, traditional nativity set,  six large high quality pots of poinsettias, large wreath, hand sculpted Santa head sprite, Lands End monogrammed stockings, big red felt like bows for stairs, holiday themed hand towels and candle holders, mini Christmas village and probably forgetting something.  Doesn’t seem very minimalistic when typed out.

Edited by annandatje
  • Like 2

On 10/20/2023 at 4:37 AM, mmasc said:

The main thing I’m hoping to add this year is Trader Joe’s felt wool garland for our Christmas tree. I’ve been using ribbon and last year I saw this and fell in love, but didn’t buy it. My mission is to snag it this year early! Thankfully, I’ve got some very kind  boardies on the look-out for me @Corraleno and @Arcadia ☺️

Was at two different Trader Joe’s this weekend and the garlands aren’t in store yet. They have the felt trivets in store. I think its $7.99

image.jpeg.c7138ee5f745bca8cc42099e8439b25c.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mmasc said:

@TechWife Did you decide on the red dot dishes yet?

I haven’t decided yet. I was planning to go in to the store to see them today, but ended up not going. I’ll maybe get there tomorrow. 

This pattern has caught my eye as well, but they run on the formal side. What I really love is the Lenox Christmas China, I always have. But, it’s so formal and not dishwasher safe, so it won’t be coming home with me. Oh, and storage, too.

4 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I haven’t decided yet. I was planning to go in to the store to see them today, but ended up not going. I’ll maybe get there tomorrow. 

This pattern has caught my eye as well, but they run on the formal side. What I really love is the Lenox Christmas China, I always have. But, it’s so formal and not dishwasher safe, so it won’t be coming home with me. Oh, and storage, too.

I love the holly and berry noritake. I was actually looking at it earlier for no particular reason other than perusing christmas dishes online lol. 

• Like 1