Menu

Today is the day! And weigh in on a few things.

DawnM

7 hours ago, Shoeless said:

Did you pay to have someone install it or do it yourself? DH installed ours. It was the cheapest model available because the other options were "smart" and had apps and all kinds of features we do not need. 

My friend is a plumber and installation is expensive.  

Dh installed a tankless for us at or last house (with some pointers from our plumber friend who also inspected it when it was done.). It was difficult. He hasn’t suggested doing it at our current house.  😂 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ditto said:

I do understand what you are saying.  But I am also keeping in mind that we are only hearing one side of the story.  There are always 3 sides (each person's side and then the truth which usually lies in the middle).   In my opinion the buyers haven't been that bad (and again, we are only getting one side of the story).    As for whether I would be okay with the dart holes as the buyer, I truly don't know.  I would have to see them to be able to give an informed opinion.    As the seller though, I would absolutely make an attempt to repair them, at least minimally or I would come clean at closing.   As for it being kind of the buyers to overlook them, again it would depend on how bad the holes are.   

There have been numerous things I have not mentioned.   And I am not trying to get people's "sides" at all.    I am just relaying part of what we have been dealing with.   The buyers have been difficult, but ultimately, we are making a significant amount off of this sale, so we just need to get through today and get the $$ in the bank.   And I am far more upset with our realtor than the buyers.   

• Like 17

12 hours ago, Scarlett said:

The things Dawn reported her buyers wanted were very unreasonable. I don’t know why we would be thinking she is not being honest.  

If someone chooses to not believe me or think I am exaggerating, that is fine, they can believe whatever they want.   Really, I don't care at the moment if people on the internet who don't even interact with me much want to throw darts my way (see that pun????  😂)

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

We finished getting everything out of our house by 7pm but then DH remembered a drawer he had not emptied and had to go back!   But we are now OUT!

And I hired cleaners yesterday.   They both spent 5 hours in the house cleaning top to bottom, wiping out cabinets, etc.....I didn't know until after they left that they didn't clean out the fridge but I had no cleaning supplies to do it myself so I wiped it down as best I could.   Hopefully they won't complain about that.

They are doing a walk through at 9am so whatever they want to point out should happen by 9:30 or so I would think.   And since they flew in from the West Coast last night, this is 6am for them!   Maybe they will be too tired to worry about the smaller stuff.   🤣   But we will deal with it if they do say anything about the wall.

Today is also the last day (hopefully) we have to deal with our realtor.   Although we may need her for court, so we will be civil.   😜

And then this afternoon we are going to look at 3 houses that we have some interest in.

• Like 34

It did not go smoothly, but it is done now.

We were all meant to sign closing at 11 but they were upset that a few things were left in the attic (cushions for the outdoor furniture and blinds and carpet remnants) and refused to sign until everything was OUT.   So we made two trips to the thrift store and then they said that wasn't good enough, they wanted something else (like the remnants, can't remember) out or they would refuse to sign.

I finally called their bluff and said, "Ok, well, we are 30 min away and have an appt from 2-4pm so we won't get there until after 5.   I guess they can just sign on Monday."

Our realtor got her gardener to come out and pick up the stuff and they finally agreed to sign.

When we moved in there was a ton of stuff left, we didn't even think of pulling that on the sellers.

These people will be a joy to my neighbors I am sure.  🤣

But we are DONE and the money is in the bank!

• Like 47

45 minutes ago, kbutton said:

So they are picky and lazy…how hard is it to pick up a few things left behind?!?

Good grief!

Yup, added stress and took a few hours.   

Just thankful we did get everything done today.   The money is already in our bank and we are ready to buy another house!

• Like 16

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

It did not go smoothly, but it is done now.

We were all meant to sign closing at 11 but they were upset that a few things were left in the attic (cushions for the outdoor furniture and blinds and carpet remnants) and refused to sign until everything was OUT.   So we made two trips to the thrift store and then they said that wasn't good enough, they wanted something else (like the remnants, can't remember) out or they would refuse to sign.

I finally called their bluff and said, "Ok, well, we are 30 min away and have an appt from 2-4pm so we won't get there until after 5.   I guess they can just sign on Monday."

Our realtor got her gardener to come out and pick up the stuff and they finally agreed to sign.

When we moved in there was a ton of stuff left, we didn't even think of pulling that on the sellers.

These people will be a joy to my neighbors I am sure.  🤣

But we are DONE and the money is in the bank!

Just for a laugh when my house was taken by the state for a highway project they would not give us our money until the house was spotless anda shelf was off the wall…..and then they proceeded to bulldoze the house down.   It was crazy.

• Haha 12
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Just for a laugh when my house was taken by the state for a highway project they would not give us our money until the house was spotless anda shelf was off the wall…..and then they proceeded to bulldoze the house down.   It was crazy.

That is absolutely insane!

• Like 6

So glad this adventure is over. 

I can understand some concern about cushions and carpet being left behind when the new buyers were already scared about mold issues. That's kind of a no-brainer to dispose of those easy targets, IMO. I wouldn't want that left behind. I know the OP was really busy. I complete get that. Old carpeting and cushions are just icky to me due to allergies.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wintermom said:

So glad this adventure is over. 

I can understand some concern about cushions and carpet being left behind when the new buyers were already scared about mold issues. That's kind of a no-brainer to dispose of those easy targets, IMO. I wouldn't want that left behind. I know the OP was really busy. I complete get that. Old carpeting and cushions are just icky to me due to allergies.

They were no where near any of the mold, which was very minimal in a duct on the other side of the house.  They were in the attic above the garage.   They didn't site mold as being the concern, only that they wanted 100% of everything out of the house, which they didn't state before closing.   It is normal to leave things that belong to the house behind.   But whatever, it is done now.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, DawnM said:

They were no where near any of the mold, which was very minimal in a duct on the other side of the house.  They were in the attic above the garage.   They didn't site mold as being the concern, only that they wanted 100% of everything out of the house, which they didn't state before closing.   It is normal to leave things that belong to the house behind.   But whatever, it is done now.

And even if it is stuff you don’t want I always thought that was part of buying a home.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I remember the first time we did a relo and had professional movers. When we unpacked we discovered they had packed wastebaskets (think small office/bedroom bins) with the trash still in them! We were shocked but later it was explained to us that they could be liable for throwing away important items (think winning lottery ticket, small piece of jewelry) so the company policy was they had to pack everything - couldn’t put anything in the trash. 

I can definitely see liability playing into something like an imminent domain purchase even if the house is to be razed. They must leave no chance that something of value (actual or sentimental) was left behind that they might later be sued for destroying. 

As for stuff like Dawn left behind, the same thought can apply. But also, when one of my adult kids bought her first house, the sellers contacted her after the closing about coming to pick up items they’d left behind - in attic and outside areas. They called to come back for little things three times. The last was to come for some outdoor lighting that my dd was sure had conveyed with the sale of the property. So, yeah, after experiencing something like this, I and/or anyone else in my family will make sure that in a future home purchase, the seller removes *everything* prior to close. 

Nail holes in the wall, totally expected. 
Items left behind, no thank you. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DawnM said:

They were no where near any of the mold, which was very minimal in a duct on the other side of the house.  

Oh, my goodness. Dawn, these people are completely, completely over the top. I'm so glad it's all over with.  We've had a bit of craziness in our realty dealings, but yours completely takes the cake.

I hope you'll heave a sigh of relief, 'relax your shoulders,' and move on, not giving them another thought.

And I hope you find a great spot to lease, something that serves your family well in the interim.

• Like 2

When we just sold/bought. I had a junk company come to get all the last bits of things out. I hated to toss all the old paint cans because I would want to know how to match paint but I didn’t want them to come back after walk through and complain about paint cans and then I was in a pickle trying to dispose of them in a crunch. But I did leave the extra siding/roofing/flooring we had. Surely they would want that to match in case of needed repair? So yes, the contract said “empty” but I did make a judgement call and leave that stuff and they didn’t complain. 

Likewise we wrote our contract for our house to be emptied of all personal belongings. They left a bench on the front porch and a couple of doormats. And I was glad to find the old paint can for what the whole interior of the house is painted 🙂 I wouldn’t have dreamed of making the people come get the stuff. Moving is just an absolute royal pain in the butt for buyers and sellers. There will be inconveniences and bumps and you gotta kind of roll with things some. And it is totally normal to leave things that do go with the house and I don’t think we have ever bought and not found some odd item/items that somehow got left behind. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Grace Hopper said:

I remember the first time we did a relo and had professional movers. When we unpacked we discovered they had packed wastebaskets (think small office/bedroom bins) with the trash still in them! We were shocked but later it was explained to us that they could be libel for throwing away important items (think winning lottery ticket, small piece of jewelry) so the company policy was they had to pack everything - couldn’t put anything in the trash. 

I can definitely see liability playing into something like an imminent domain purchase even if the house is to be razed. They must leave no chance that something of value was left behind that they might later be sued for destroying. 

As for stuff like Dawn left behind, the same thought can apply. But also, when one of my adult kids bought her first house, the sellers contacted her after the closing about coming to pick up items they’d left behind - in attic and outside areas. They called to come back for little things three times. The last was to come for some outdoor lighting that my dd was sure had conveyed with the same of the property. So, yeah, after experiencing something like this, if I and/or anyone else in my family will make sure that in a future home purchase, the seller removes *everything* prior to close. 

Nail holes in the wall, totally expected. 
Items left behind, no thank you. 

Ha! The people we bought our house from came back after 15 years -- no joke -- and asked if they could dig up a very common perennial. Seriously you can buy it at any big box garden center for under $10.  The story was that it had been a gift from a relative. I told them to knock themselves out, and that it was a good thing they came when they did, because the tree it was under -- a "trash tree" that is known for falling over on houses -- was scheduled to be removed about a month later.

Knowing how this yard was landscaped, there is zero chance that the former owners didn't know it was a commonly available plant.

• Sad 1

The very first house we bought when we were just 25 yo we bought from an older lady who was selling the home that she had owned for many years. Her adult son (mid forties?) had been living in it but he was an addict and I guess he had been given an ultimatum to get his life together or she would be selling the house he was living in. Well, she listed the house and we bought it and we showed up at closing to a very sad lady who really didn’t want to sell the house. It was all very strange and sad.

Anyways, there was stuff left behind. Odd furniture and lawn stuff. The family had owned a gas station for many years and there were vintage signs from the old gas station that had been left in the storage shed. We had kept them there. Then three years after we bought the home there was a storm and a tree fell on the shed and destroyed the signs so we got rid of them. Of course then the guy knocked on my door and asked for them. I explained what happened but I wasn’t sure he believed me. He was very upset not to be able to get the signs. It was weird. Another time, before that, the guy had showed up to make amends with me as part of his recovery. Of course I had never met the guy so not sure why making amends with me was part of his recovery but I let him do it on my front steps. Then he came back later for the signs.

Even with that strange experience I still wouldn’t hold up closing on a house over some odd items left behind. Lol. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

Even with that strange experience I still wouldn’t hold up closing on a house over some odd items left behind. Lol. 

So what if he hadn’t gotten sober? What if the items he left behind were in the attic and he wanted to come inside while you were alone with an infant? And he was insistent?

It’s a rhetorical question, but my point is, you never know. Yes, real estate is hairy, but I maintain that it is prudent to eliminate as many potential problems as possible. If OP had asked, “We have limited time and can either patch the wall or make sure the attic is empty,” I’d have definitely recommended the latter. 

But that’s just me. Others will definitely have different opinions. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 1

Glad this is over for you, Dawn, and so sorry they have been so petty and lots of other adjectives. After we bought our place, we found vehicle ramps under a storage shed, called the previous owners (who now live next door) and they came and got them. I can't imagine having to deal with what you've had with this sale.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

So what if he hadn’t gotten sober? What if the items he left behind were in the attic and he wanted to come inside while you were alone with an infant? And he was insistent?

It’s a rhetorical question, but my point is, you never know. Yes, real estate is hairy, but I maintain that it is prudent to eliminate as many potential problems as possible. If OP had asked, “We have limited time and can either patch the wall or make sure the attic is empty,” I’d have definitely recommended the latter. 

But that’s just me. Others will definitely have different opinions. 

Yeah I hear you. But I definitely don’t live my life with all the what ifs like that. I honestly don’t have the mental bandwidth. I’d get to the end of the home buying process and have no where to live and a moving truck packed and ready to unload and yes, I would absolutely close on the house and move on with my life and deal with the items. I don’t disagree that your way is more prudent. I just don’t think it is the way most people will do it. 

In the specific case, I would have not let him in the house and called the police. 

I also am someone that lets neighbor kids cut through my yard even though I know they could get hurt and sue me. And all those kinds of what ifs. I realize I am wrong from the side of protecting myself from every possibility but I honestly just don’t have the mental bandwidth to live that way. I don’t think it is wrong that you do. Your way is more prudent for sure. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DawnM said:

CRAZY!  Especially the carpet remnants. When we moved in to each house there was extra tile, paint, etc left in case we needed it. We were grateful! In one house we found boxes of christmas decorations in the attic - which was fine. Heck, I still use some of the ornaments on my tree, lol. I can't imagine calling to have someone come back and get them or refusing to close. I just would ask if they want them, if not, I'd keep or throw out or whatever. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

Ha! The people we bought our house from came back after 15 years -- no joke -- and asked if they could dig up a very common perennial. Seriously you can buy it at any big box garden center for under $10.  The story was that it had been a gift from a relative. I told them to knock themselves out, and that it was a good thing they came when they did, because the tree it was under -- a "trash tree" that is known for falling over on houses -- was scheduled to be removed about a month later.

Knowing how this yard was landscaped, there is zero chance that the former owners didn't know it was a commonly available plant.

I have some common available plants that will move with me. One of them is the sweetest baby shower gift I have ever heard of. A coworker knew my son’s intended name and shared plants from her garden that also have his name. I have already told dh that I cannot move in the winter. 

Fifteen years is crazy, though.   I will have to get creative with foster family gardeners if I can’t move directly into my next house.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Acorn said:

I have some common available plants that will move with me. One of them is the sweetest baby shower gift I have ever heard of. A coworker knew my son’s intended name and shared plants from her garden that also have his name. I have already told dh that I cannot move in the winter. 

Fifteen years is crazy, though.   I will have to get creative with foster family gardeners if I can’t move directly into my next house.

You know, I am very sentimental about a few of my plants. I have a plant that belonged to my father-in-law and another to my mother. I go to great lengths to pamper them, but they are also unique, rather difficult-to-find plants. So I understand plant attachment. But after all that time, to show up out of the blue and and ask for a plant that you can find and pick up at any nursery or garden center every spring??  It was just odd.

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 1