Menu

Boy shot for ringing doorbell

bookbard

I'm kind of in shock about this one. Outrage as Black teen shot after going to wrong address to pick up siblings | Missouri | The Guardian

Apparently, the child lived in the same area as these homeowners, so it's not like they'd never seen a black teen before. And they must have had a gun close by to just open a door and shoot someone . . . 

I was trying to think of an equivalent situation in Australia. The only one I could think about was the murder of Cassius Turvey, an Aboriginal boy who was walking home from school last year and was beaten with a metal pole. Cassius Turvey: three more charged with murder of Indigenous Perth teenager | Western Australia | The Guardian

• Sad 20

It's pretty appalling. 

I also read one article that says a family member reported the boy ran to a nearby house for help -- he had to stop at *three* houses before someone would help, and that house made him lay down with his hands over his head first. 

I recognize my country a little less every day. 

• Sad 28

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

e. And they must have had a gun close by to just open a door and shoot someone . .

I’ve seen reports that he shot *through* the door, opened the door and shot *more*.  That seems to be the families version of events.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65299127.amp

“the suspect shot Mr Yarl through his door. The teen took one shot in the head, say his family and their lawyers.

Ms Spoonmore set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for her nephew's care. According to the page, Mr Yarl meant to pick up his brothers at an address on 115th Terrace but wound up on 115th Street. 

The page says, "My nephew fell to the ground, and the man shot him again. Ralph was then able to get up and run to the neighbour's house, looking for help."

Edited by Heartstrings
  • Like 1
  • Sad 8

This just came in on my news feed: A young woman was looking for a friend's house, got lost, turned into a wrong driveway and the guy shot her to death. Apparently, the group with her drove a long distance to find a cell phone signal after the shooting. What a fear-filled world some of these shooters live in ... (without going into politics I cannot elaborate 😞 )

https://wnyt.com/top-stories/news-conference-planned-in-deadly-washington-county-shooting/

• Like 3
  • Sad 9

They appear to finally be charging him. 
The time stamp here is 6:51 pm 4/17

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/kansas-city-police-probe-of-teens-shooting-moving-quickly/amp/

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — An 85-year-old white man who shot a Black teen at his front door in Kansas City, Missouri, last week has been charged with armed assault, and the Clay County prosecutor said Monday there was a racial component to the case.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, mathnerd said:

This just came in on my news feed: A young woman was looking for a friend's house, got lost, turned into a wrong driveway and the guy shot her to death. Apparently, the group with her drove a long distance to find a cell phone signal after the shooting. What a fear-filled world some of these shooters live in ... (without going into politics I cannot elaborate 😞 )

https://wnyt.com/top-stories/news-conference-planned-in-deadly-washington-county-shooting/

1 hour ago, Heartstrings said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/kansas-city-police-probe-of-teens-shooting-moving-quickly/amp/

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — An 85-year-old white man who shot a Black teen at his front door in Kansas City, Missouri, last week has been charged with armed assault, and the Clay County prosecutor said Monday there was a racial component to the case.

I bet these are both people who think of themselves as "responsible gun owners" and "good guys with guns". Anyone that scared of other human beings should not be allowed to have guns.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 11

Unfortunately, this is the kind of thing that happens when your right to carry guns is placed above all others

There was a pregnant woman shot in Nashville recently. A store employee suspected her of shoplifting and followed her to her car. She pulled out pepper spray (not unreasonable for a woman followed by a man outof a store) and he shot her. He claims he was scared for his life and it was self defense. Fortunately both she and her premature (7 month) baby are doing OK. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 12

We are raising a generating  of young people who will rightfully live in terror of their neighbors, anyone they do not know personally and can trust. So much ptsd.

One of the young women who was a survivor of the Oxford school shooting here in Michigan then had to endure another school shooting on the M.S.U. campus as a freshman. I feel like the NRA owes her a 10 billion dollars so she can buy her own island, and retire from society. Dh's manager had to go get his son from campus. He had to withdraw from school, his depression from the shooting is so intense. He is getting help, but seriously, I do not understand the inertia in this country. 

I wish my grandsons could grow up in a different nation.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

We are raising a generating  of young people who will rightfully live in terror of their neighbors, anyone they do not know personally and can trust. So much ptsd.

One of the young women who was a survivor of the Oxford school shooting here in Michigan then had to endure another school shooting on the M.S.U. campus as a freshman. I feel like the NRA owes her a 10 billion dollars so she can buy her own island, and retire from society. Dh's manager had to go get his son from campus. He had to withdraw from school, his depression from the shooting is so intense. He is getting help, but seriously, I do not understand the inertia in this country. 

I wish my grandsons could grow up in a different nation.

I want this for my kids and myself too.  

20 years ago, my grandmother was told by a police officer in North Carolina something so wrong on so many levels that her exact words stuck in my head:

"If you have to shoot a black man on your property, make sure you drag the body across the doorstep to make sure justice is done." 

Justice. Wow.

Edited by lewelma
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 10

I want to know why they haven't arrested the shooter yet. Did they lose an 84 year old? Did they not tell him to stay in town or give them an address to find him if they had more questions?

I read a rumor the shooter was in a cabin and another that he was in Arizona. All I can find is the the warrent has been issued but no arrest made yet. 

6 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

He was arrested and then released. https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article274408350.html

This article states he was arrested last week on different charges, for assault.

Yes, I meant since they have formally charged him and issued a warrant. Holding him for 24 hours then letting him leave and disappear seems... counter intuitive. 

7 hours ago, MercyA said:

And the response of the Kansas City police is infuriating--they say the shooter hasn't been charged because they haven't been able to get a formal victim statement yet. Are you kidding me? 

Right - like if the boy had died, would they never charge the man who shot him because the boy couldn't ever speak?

7 hours ago, Heartstrings said:

If you see the mug shot of the 85-year-old man, he appears to be a little mentally unstable. I wonder if there isn't a dementia issue at hand here. Tragic, tragic, tragic.

6 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

He was arrested and then released. https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article274408350.html

This article states he was arrested last week on different charges, for assault.

Oh, gosh. Really? 😕

2 minutes ago, SHP said:

Yes, I meant since they have formally charged him and issued a warrant. Holding him for 24 hours then letting him leave and disappear seems... counter intuitive. 

Missouri has a charging law—you either have to formally file charges or release after 24 hours. KCPD was slow to release the file so Clay County prosecutors couldn’t move forward: https://www.kmbc.com/amp/article/kansas-city-ralph-yarl-missouri-teen-shot-wrong-address-clay-county-prosecutor-update/43620322

Just now, easypeasy said:

If you see the mug shot of the 85-year-old man, he appears to be a little mentally unstable. I wonder if there isn't a dementia issue at hand here. Tragic, tragic, tragic.

He does not get a pass for being old and speculation about dementia will play into a poor old white dude defense to keep responsibility of his actions off of him.

And if he has dementia then why was he released and not sent to a hospital for evaluation? Pretty sure that a police interview with someone who is mentally incompetent wouldn't result in him walking out after 24 hours.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, prairiewindmomma said:

Missouri has a charging law—you either have to formally file charges or release after 24 hours. KCPD was slow to release the file so Clay County prosecutors couldn’t move forward: https://www.kmbc.com/amp/article/kansas-city-ralph-yarl-missouri-teen-shot-wrong-address-clay-county-prosecutor-update/43620322

Sigh. Yes I know.

My point is that a warrent has been issued and he has yet to be arrested. Sp my question is, frankly, WHY THE HELL IS HE NOT IN POLICE CUSTODY RIGHT NOW WITH THE WARRENT ISSUED.

• Like 2

A while back, I was driving in a suburban area about 20 minutes away from my home. I received a serious, stressful phone call, so I pulled into a regular neighborhood. I pulled up to a small empty lot between two houses in a cul-de-sac, pulled to the side of the road, and continued my phone call.

Next thing I knew, one of the homeowners was at my driver's side window knocking a handgun against my window, shouting at me to roll down my window. He just kept shouting. My windows are tinted very dark, was sobbing on the phone (again, stressful, serious phone call I'm in the middle of) and he would not stop (and the person on the other end of the phone couldn't hear him and just continued spouting very important information to me).

I didn't know what to do. Started to put my car into drive to get out of there and he aimed the gun at, what I expect was, my tires.

I finally had the wherewithall to tell the person on the phone to please hold on for a moment as I had a situation happening. Rolled down the window and shouted at the man that I was on a phone call and just had to pull over for a minute, was on a public street in front of an empty lot.

He shouted back that I had 5 minutes and I needed to get out of there or he would call the cops or shoot my car or maybe both.

He walked behind my vehicle and I drove away.

I have thought so many times since then - what if I had been a POC, or in a less-nice vehicle, or had continued driving forward, or, or, or, or?!??

I never found my way back or I prob would have called the police to press charges. But with the phone call news I was receiving, I was so disoriented and couldn't find the neighborhood again.

It was just a regular, non-gated, normal house type of place!!

But, it was in an area where the white population is probably 98%. I live in a much more diverse area. And feel a helluva lot safer.

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 33

6 minutes ago, SHP said:

He does not get a pass for being old and speculation about dementia will play into a poor old white dude defense to keep responsibility of his actions off of him.

And if he has dementia then why was he released and not sent to a hospital for evaluation? Pretty sure that a police interview with someone who is mentally incompetent wouldn't result in him walking out after 24 hours.

oh, sure. I'm not giving him a free pass for it. Just observing. (although, obviously, if he IS mentally incompetent then that has to be taken into account and is a doubly/triply/quadruply tragic set of circumstances and I wish it had been discovered sooner so that his guns would have been removed from his premises before any of this ever happened - but, as often happens with gun laws, it is really, really difficult to take someone's guns away legally.)

Although I'd disagree that someone who is mentally incompetent couldn't walk out with no charges after 24 hours. Depends on the competency of those investigating the situation - and this particular team has some cracks in their armor already, for sure, for not knowing what to charge him with in the first place!

The police should've charged him. They can always change/drop charges later. They sure charge plenty of people quickly without *waiting* without nearly as much evidence.

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, easypeasy said:

A while back, I was driving in a suburban area about 20 minutes away from my home. I received a serious, stressful phone call, so I pulled into a regular neighborhood. I pulled up to a small empty lot between two houses in a cul-de-sac, pulled to the side of the road, and continued my phone call.

Next thing I knew, one of the homeowners was at my driver's side window knocking a handgun against my window, shouting at me to roll down my window. He just kept shouting. My windows are tinted very dark, was sobbing on the phone (again, stressful, serious phone call I'm in the middle of) and he would not stop (and the person on the other end of the phone couldn't hear him and just continued spouting very important information to me).

I didn't know what to do. Started to put my car into drive to get out of there and he aimed the gun at, what I expect was, my tires.

I finally had the wherewithall to tell the person on the phone to please hold on for a moment as I had a situation happening. Rolled down the window and shouted at the man that I was on a phone call and just had to pull over for a minute, was on a public street in front of an empty lot.

He shouted back that I had 5 minutes and I needed to get out of there or he would call the cops or shoot my car or maybe both.

He walked behind my vehicle and I drove away.

I have thought so many times since then - what if I had been a POC, or in a less-nice vehicle, or had continued driving forward, or, or, or, or?!??

I never found my way back or I prob would have called the police to press charges. But with the phone call news I was receiving, I was so disoriented and couldn't find the neighborhood again.

It was just a regular, non-gated, normal house type of place!!

But, it was in an area where the white population is probably 98%. I live in a much more diverse area. And feel a helluva lot safer.

That is so horrific. It is utterly unimaginable to me. I have never seen a person with a gun. Police/security guards have them holstered, but I have never seen one otherwise. If someone waved one at me, I think I'd faint. 

• Like 3

This is (one of the reasons why) I don’t want to be a report investigator for CPS, for internship or otherwise.

For almost 18 years, I’ve lived in a very gun area. The thought of approaching ANYONE’s property unannounced terrifies me, never mind anyone with suspected issues that could easily decide I’m a threat.  And definitely not when zero-threat kids are getting shot!

Admittedly, I get nervous when unmarked Amazon drivers pull into my driveway, or when vehicles linger on my dead end. I take notice and stay alert. Maybe get my big dog to bark a bit. But I can’t imagine grabbing a gun.

• Like 1

I live in an area where people are very suspicious and armed. I haven’t seen anyone being reckless with a firearm but if anyone should dare walk down our street people start getting suspicious. I’m from a city where people walking on public roads is a given so it always strikes me odd that the mere act of walking along raises people’s suspicions so much but it does. People do not like people turning around in their driveways. I once saw a strip of nails laid out across a driveway I’m assuming to prevent this. 

I was raised in an urban area so people just weren’t that suspicious of the presence of people. But in more rural areas or small towns people are very on edge of anyone they don’t recognize. 

Can we just be honest about these older men sitting at home, dining on a steady diet of race and culture filled hate, then acting on impulse and rage toward any unknown human that has the audacity to exist nearby? A young woman was shot and killed by a similar homeowner in Hebron just this week under very similar circumstances at roughly the same time of day. Jacked up on animus, they are. I hope dominion bankrupts the merchants of death and sells the whole piece by piece.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 18

This happened not too far from where I grew up - about 20 minutes away. Frankly, I'm not surprised, appalled but not surprised. This happened in the suburbs of the city. There are pockets of racism, more covert and ingrained mindsets than overt. When I was a kid, this whole northern part of the city was not diverse at all. 

One thing that bothers me about this is that Yarl's accomplishments are being mentioned over and over. I can't quite articulate why, except the family and/or the media shouldn't have to explain that this is a bright young man. The street names in that area are confusing. It shouldn't matter that this young man is accomplished for us to feel the ire. I dislike that the media keeps saying that as if somehow that makes this more horrific. It would be horrific regardless of anyone's accomplishments or potential. 

The GoFundMe is up to almost $3million. Good. I hope he gets a free ride to Texas A&M, I hope he does great things in life. I believe that everyone has potential but young black men shouldn't have to be star students to not get shot in the head because they went to the wrong house. 

• Like 26
  • Thanks 15

6 minutes ago, elegantlion said:

This happened not too far from where I grew up - about 20 minutes away. Frankly, I'm not surprised, appalled but not surprised. This happened in the suburbs of the city. There are pockets of racism, more covert and ingrained mindsets than overt. When I was a kid, this whole northern part of the city was not diverse at all. 

One thing that bothers me about this is that Yarl's accomplishments are being mentioned over and over. I can't quite articulate why, except the family and/or the media shouldn't have to explain that this is a bright young man. The street names in that area are confusing. It shouldn't matter that this young man is accomplished for us to feel the ire. I dislike that the media keeps saying that as if somehow that makes this more horrific. It would be horrific regardless of anyone's accomplishments or potential. 

The GoFundMe is up to almost $3million. Good. I hope he gets a free ride to Texas A&M, I hope he does great things in life. I believe that everyone has potential but young black men shouldn't have to be star students to not get shot in the head because they went to the wrong house. 

Agreeing completely. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Can we just be honest about these older men sitting at home, dining on a steady diet of race and culture filled hate, then acting on impulse and rage toward any unknown human that has the audacity to exist nearby? A young woman was shot and killed by a similar homeowner in Hebron just this week under very similar circumstances at roughly the same time of day. Jacked up on animus, they are. I hope dominion bankrupts the merchants of death and sells the whole piece by piece.

Upon first reading this story, I could *hear* the Fox News blasting in the background as the man shot the boy. I've sat in the living rooms of too many old people blasting Fox News, in Kansas City even. Fox has spent its existence building fear and paranoia in old white people. We are seeing the result of that more frequently than ever. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, elegantlion said:

YES

8 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

This is (one of the reasons why) I don’t want to be a report investigator for CPS, for internship or otherwise.

For almost 18 years, I’ve lived in a very gun area. The thought of approaching ANYONE’s property unannounced terrifies me, never mind anyone with suspected issues that could easily decide I’m a threat.  And definitely not when zero-threat kids are getting shot!

Yup. 

https://snbc13.com/payton-washington-woodlands-elite-cheer-athletes-injured-in-shooting-near-austin-tx/

I saw this first on some of my cheer parent groups. I have to wonder if I'd have heard about it at all were it not that WE Generals are a strong contender for Worlds, and Worlds starts Friday. These would be college age kids. 

Seems to be another "In the wrong place, totally innocently" 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Sad 4

No one’s grandpa or pawpaw or senior friend is immune to the paranoia these folks/Merchants of Death are selling. I (and my sibs) have to stay in regular communication with my dad (because dementia) to stave off the worst. So far, he’s not purchased a gun. He DOESN'T NEED ONE AND ISN'T ABLE TO REASON SAGELY, CONSISTENTLY ANYMORE. Fox is a parasitic organization that inhales money and the eyeballs of folks like my dad at the expense of the nation’s most vulnerable. It needs to stop existing. The only upside is that my dad has people in his life that still, willingly, engage and monitor. Many of these elderly/older, rando shooters have families that disengaged long ago. Check on the old men in your lives. They are not OK.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Ten stages of a genocide:

1. Classification: us versus them---the othering

2. Symbolization: people are made to stand out from others

3. Discrimination: laws, political rights, and other mechanisms are used to strip them of their rights (voter registration stuff fits here, imo)

4. Dehumanization

5. Organization: groups are formed to target against the "others"

6. Polarization: propaganda is used to amplify feelings against the "others" (a certain news channel)

7. Preparation

8. Persecution

9. Extermination

10. Denial (victims blamed, evidence hidden, denial of crimes)

The shootings are symptomatic of a larger disease. We've been fed hate and fear for far too long.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

re slow slide into the unimaginable

29 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

3. Discrimination: laws, political rights, and other mechanisms are used to strip them of their rights (voter registration stuff fits here, imo)

4. Dehumanization

6. Polarization: propaganda is used to amplify feelings against the "others" (a certain news channel)

7. Preparation

8. Persecution

9. Extermination

The shootings are symptomatic of a larger disease. We've been fed hate and fear for far too long.

Yes, and. 

Not necessarily in that order.

The Holocaust didn't START with cattle cars terminating in crematoria. That's where it ENDED.

It started with a resentment-fueled population, duly electing a charismatic man promising that he could fix it with simple measures, invoking nationalism and scapegoating shadowy globalists, promising to restore the nation to a prouder nobler prior era where men were manly and women had lots of cherubic right kind of babies.

Once in office, he did not leave.

Count the other episodes of genocide across history where the same events, not necessarily in quite the same order, also held.

Count the nations today that already have met all these marks.

We are not exceptional. The last six years have irrefutably shown, it can happen here.

Edited by Pam in CT
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 12

9 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Except they settled with a fine. No trial for their viewers to perhaps see the lies upon lies upon lies. Nothing will change.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Idalou said:

Except they settled with a fine. No trial for their viewers to perhaps see the lies upon lies upon lies. Nothing will change.

Is this news? I’ve been working. If so, it’s enraging all over again. Someone needs to hold them accountable!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

4. Dehumanization

7. Preparation

8. Persecution

9. Extermination

100% accurate. My heart aches, and I don't know what to do. My honorary grandaughter, my precious little A for whom I will be grandma because her other grandmas have passed on, is due in early May, a precious soul who is biracial, and I am terrified for her. How do I protect her and her mama and daddy? I feel helpless. I would give anything to move them out of the U.S.

12 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Is this news? I’ve been working. If so, it’s enraging all over again. Someone needs to hold them accountable!

Yeah. Settled for $787.5 million. No word yet about whether or not a formal apology is part of the settlement (please please please let it be).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Pawz4me said:

Yeah. Settled for $787.5 million. No word yet about whether or not a formal apology is part of the settlement (please please please let it be).

I am STUNNED. This was the best case for media defamation I’ve ever seen and they had the chance to do real good! What a missed opportunity. Where is my wine!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Sneezyone said:

I am STUNNED. This was the best case for media defamation I’ve ever seen and they had the chance to do real good! What a missed opportunity. Where is my wine!

Smartmatic has a similar suit against them for $2.7 billion. I'm not sure if a trial date has been set yet, or what this settlement will mean for that case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What gripes my cheese is that Fox was absolutely guilty of inciting sedition and treason, and as such, it seems they should be charged criminally. But parting with money will be the only consequence. People were injured, people died. Yet, I am certain not one party involved in fueling it, inciting it, will go to jail.

787.5 million is far to small a price tag. At the very least, they should be bankrupted so damn badly the whole organization should fade quietly into the night.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4