Menu

Just Curious 1st cars

rebcoola

Chevy concerts for me 1984. Mark had a 1968 Opal Cadet.

Eldest - Saturn sl1 sedan

Next oldest - Saturn Astra (A German Opal but GM label because GM bought the company though they recently spun it off again. Great engineering and safety record.)

Middle - a 1988 jeep, fully restored. We hate that vehicle, but his grandmother gave it to him when she could no longer drive. It had been in her garage for a number of years and only 13,000 miles on it. It has ZERO safety features and a high rollover so we have been encouraging him to get something else, but he has put it off due to grad school expenses.

Youngest - 2006 Toyota Camry. Great car, good safety features.

First car Mark and I had together, 1984 Peugeot.

• Like 1

I never really had a first car ... I drove a family car for a while, the car my Dad said would be my car he sold while I was in Russia lol

My XH and I had cars together and then after we'd been married several years, we bought a second car for the first time. So I guess that was my first car! 

My kids - we've always said our rule for their first car is that it isn't older than the child. But that hasn't always been by much! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, purpleowl said:

I don't think rebcoola has nefarious intent here, but this is something that's often used as a security question on websites, so just a caution to be careful about what you share on this public board. 

Good point! I'll be a little vague but in the ballpark.

I shared a Buick with my brother, but then another one became available, and I got my own. DH had the same model of Buick as me, but a different year, and we didn't meet until after he had a different vehicle. I think mine was maybe the last year they made that model. It was a great car--it was a moderate sedan, but it had 6 cylinders and good gas mileage. I could just tap the gas from a standstill and be bookin' it right away, which was fun (an elder in my family grinned once from the passenger seat and said it had "wallop.") 🙂 

DS has a nice mid-sized Chevy from an estate sale. Sporty, practical, reliable, low mileage, big trunk for his tools and projects, and cost less than blue book. We are a bit jealous! We passed by the car a dozen times and were astonished that it was still available when we called the number.  

18 minutes ago, purpleowl said:

I don't think rebcoola has nefarious intent here, but this is something that's often used as a security question on websites, so just a caution to be careful about what you share on this public board. 

Ah. Well, good thing we don't use any car stuff for passwords or security questions. Mark told the bank that this business of asking easy, personal questions is NOT security. We use really weird stuff that would be super hard to guess even if you knew us very well. Dh is IT though, so he stays on top of that. Our kids use even more bizarre stuff than we do. I wonder where they come up with it.

• Like 2

I had a mid-80s Ford Tempo. I didn't get my license until I was 18 and in college. 

My kids have had the same first car, a 2011 Ford Focus, and the younger one drives it now. My dad gave the car to dd when she was in college, and dd just gave it to ds when she bought her first new car this past September. 

So all three of us didn't have our own car until college. Dh had a car in high school, a 70s Chevy Malibu. 

In the late 90s I had an 86 Oldsmobile Calais. It sounded like a tractor because of piston knock but it was mine and I was happy lol.

My youngest was willed his grandpa's truck so even though he's still years from being able to drive it, he has custom 90's Ford pickup that is technically his. It's still running and in use and he loves telling people that it's his truck but he lets Grandma drive it lol.

• Like 1

My first car was a 1973 Mazda RX-2. It was orange and may not have been the prettiest car of the era, but under the bonnet of this econobox was a screaming fast rotary engine paired with a manual transmission. Unbelievably fast.

Looked like this (internet photo):

69330350dc3b4f48e4e8242e92c9df8e--a-walk

My son's first (and current) car is a 2001 Honda Civic (7th Gen).

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I bought my first car in grad school and it was an ancient Volvo sedan. I got rear-ended, it was totaled, and I bought another old Volvo sedan. That one got rear-ended my first week of a new job in Los Angeles, so I bought... another old Volvo (although that was a station wagon). I gave that one to a friend when I moved to the UK, and I bought another (slightly less old) used Volvo station wagon, lol.

Gave that Volvo away when we left the UK and moved to the US. For the first time in my entire life, I bought a new car: a 2005 Honda Odyssey. DH then bought himself a 2005 Honda Pilot. I drove the Odyssey for 15 years, then bought a Subaru Forrester in 2019. (And I still have the Odyssey for moving furniture, hauling plants and building materials, etc.)

DS drove the old Pilot for a while but decided he didn't want a car at college, so then DD drove it for a while, but she drives a lot and that thing got like 10 mpg, so with gas prices being so high I sold it and got her a 2016 Prius — which is nicer than any car I owned before the age of 40.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 1

The first few cars I owned were total junkers. I don't even remember what they were, other than rust buckets that burned oil. A grey Chevy hatchback something? 

The first newish car I bought was a 97 Nissan Altima. Before that, I had an old Honda Accord. It had nearly 200K miles on it, but the body was starting to rot out, so I let it go. 

Younger ds first car: old Volvo sedan. After that, we gave him my 2005 CRV, which he has now. Such a great car. Much better looking than the new models, IMO. Loved that car. But I would love to have a Volvo. They are awesome. 

Older ds first car: Honda Accord. He planned to drive it until the wheels fell off, but he got hit by a truck one day and the damage was too bad and the car too old to repair. He jumped at the chance to finally buy a new red Dodge Challenger. It was damaged in the horrible flooding in Houston a few years back. He ended up getting a new Challenger. Monster Energy drink green with matte black stripe and wheels. He was sitting in a drive thru one day and got rear ended by a lady who wasn’t supposed to be driving because of severe neuropathy in her feet and legs! The scary part was he had just gotten out to get something out of his trunk while waiting for his order. He had been standing at the back of his car mere seconds before she plowed into him! Turns out her husband worked at the same place he does! Small town. But this Challenger was repaired. 

After we gave ds our CRV, I got another one. 

Ds has rented some neat cars when he visits. The most interesting one was an Alfa Romeo. Very nice. Surprisingly comfortable. Sometimes when the lot is out of cars, he gets to upgrade. 

Most comfy car I’ve ever ridden in is ds’s Challenger. Insanely comfortable. And fast. Most uncomfy car was a ds rental 
car. A Camaro. 

• Like 1

My first car was a Chrysler small sedan that I bought myself when I was 19. 

We had a mid-sized Ford sedan our oldest used. Next kid down had a small Ford pickup. It was an old work truck and it broke down 900 times, lol. So I could say Ds had a great deal of experience working out what to do when his truck didn’t work. Youngest drives a Mercury sedan we bought from friends whose aging parents could not use it any longer. 

My friend and I pooled to buy a yellow 1977 Chevy Chevette (in ~1990).  The car cost a total of $450.  The driver's door didn't open from the outside, so that might have been a factor.  😛

We traded that car for my dad's old beat-up Camaro after a couple years; the yellow Chevette became my kid brother's training car.  Then the Camaro got totaled by a semi.  So I bought my first new car - a Saturn SL1.

My kids (16) don't have cars yet.  Just this morning I told them that if they want to drive to school next year, they can both work and save all summer and buy a beater.  They were doubtful (they seem to think I should let them use my car).

ETA I didn't mention the cars I drove while living with my folks.  My siblings and I shared a series of beaters (owned by my folks).  I don't remember all the details, but I do remember the frequent hands-on maintenance we had to do.  The number of times I had to drive off the road to pour water into whatever part was overheating ... we kept several 2-liter bottles of water in the car for the purpose.  Fun times!

Edited by SKL
  • Like 1

My first was a Chevy S10 manual.

#1 DD ‘97 Toyota Corolla

#2 DS Malibu, unsure of the year

#3 - ‘03 Honda Accord

#4 DD - ‘07 Honda Civic

#5 DS - has had a rough go with cars. He had an Accord for three months, a Rav for like four months, then, following an accident, bought his baby, 1999 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4. He’s in love.

#6 DD - ‘09 Honda Civic

15 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

I had an ‘88 Oldsmobile omega. DD has a 2008 Honda Fit (Sport). DH had a 1987 Honda Accord. All manual transmission. DDs bestie just got a 2021/2 Jeep. 🤷🏽‍♀️

My best friend had an omega we called it olga.

15 hours ago, purpleowl said:

I dont remember seeing this question. So no bad intentions. It doesnt seem like a good question since a good records search could pull all the cars registered to someone.

Edited by rebcoola