Menu

Light Topics for February

Indigo Blue

So if we had a monthly thread where the topics/ discussions were light and it didn’t matter if you hijack or stay on topic, and we posted about what’s on our minds, what’s for dinner, funny stories, really great kitchen gadget discoveries, recipes, pet photos,  would there be interest? I guess I will find out by starting one for February. 

There are a lot of serious things happening in our lives for which, I’m grateful, we can post about and get support for. But it’s good to laugh and be light as well. It might help us to “bond” even more as boardies. We need more of these threads to balance out the more controversial and deep topics. 

No worries about being a thread killer, or feeling guilty about hijacking. There is no one topic to stay on. The only thing is to be light, to share something cool or fun….or funny.  What do you think?

I’ll start by saying I have no idea what to say because right now it’s cold outside, nothing funny is happening, and I’m just doing boring paperwork all day. I do not have any light topics to discuss at the moment. I’m just trying to get through February, which is my least favorite month. I’m supposed to be light, and so far I’ve only complained………great start!

Surely someone else has something interesting to discuss or say? Anyone go anywhere interesting this weekend? Funny pet photos? 

• Like 15

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a great idea!

I don't have anything funny, but I'm sitting here mulling about painting the inside of our garage. Do I want to go with the traditional (boring) white or do I want something different? I'm thinking different but nothing crazy--maybe a beige or very (very) light yellow. But will that be weird? Definitely a first world problem. 😉 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Well, I did find this today. I’m not going to buy it because we don’t go to the beach often enough to warrant that. But, I’m very intrigued by this thing. Maybe this is just what someone else needs, lol.

https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Foldable-Chaise-Integrated-Combination/dp/B07TPHYH83/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=MQDICDJJTM1K&keywords=mac+sports+beach+day+foldable+lounge+chair&qid=1676317426&sprefix=macsports+foldable+lounge%2Caps%2C94&sr=8-3

• Like 4

Just now, Pawz4me said:

I don't have anything funny, but I'm sitting here mulling about painting the inside of our garage. Do I want to go with the traditional (boring) white or do I want something different? I'm thinking different but nothing crazy--maybe a beige or very (very) light yellow. But will that be weird? Definitely a first world problem. 😉 

My vote is white. Always. I love white. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

11 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

My vote is white. Always. I love white. 

I don't know that I would do white for a garage. Ours is so very dirty all the time, that the white would get dingy very fast. I might do a beige, or yellow or gray.

But we are very dirty people out here on the farm. Maybe there are people who don't have filth in their garage?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, fairfarmhand said:

I don't know that I would do white for a garage. Ours is so very dirty all the time, that the white would get dingy very fast. I might do a beige, or yellow or gray.

But we are very dirty people out here on the farm. Maybe there are people who don't have filth in their garage?

That is what I was thinking.  White looks great except it gets dirty so easy.  I vote for gray or light blue.  And I don't live on a farm

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I got a beginner crochet kit and I’m going to give it a try.  Prayers are appreciated.  🤣

Once you figure out how to hold the yarn, the rest is gravy. I'd watch different videos to see the different ways and find what's comfortable for you. And if you end up holding it like no one else, that's ok too. Just as long as you keep the tension consistent, you should be ok. When I was learning, I imagined my hands as a sewing machine. The hand with the hook was the needle and the other hand were the hooks and posts that the thread is wound around on a sewing machine.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

I got a beginner crochet kit and I’m going to give it a try.  Prayers are appreciated.  🤣

You know youtube? It is FULL of videos with people showing how to crochet, you can replay  a video 30 times and they are still happy to see you and willing to show how to crochet… The only teachers who are never tired to show it one-more-time 😉

Yes, I admit, youtube taught me crocheting…

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Pawz4me said:

I vote crazy.  I think the garage is the place to try out the crazy colors.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Loesje22000 said:

You know youtube? It is FULL of videos with people showing how to crochet, you can replay  a video 30 times and they are still happy to see you and willing to show how to crochet… The only teachers who are never tired to show it one-more-time 😉

Yes, I admit, youtube taught me crocheting…

It comes with a video tutorial.   It's this company.  https://thewoobles.com/products/penguin-crochet-kit

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Okay. One more I forgot. I think this lady is my twin. I’ve been watching lots of these. The part where she cleans the hotel room before she leaves is me. Guilty. I just about died at the part where she vacuums herself out of the room. (No, I don’t do that at least.)

I need this shirt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, WildflowerMom said:

Dh & I made Shepherd's Pie yesterday for the first (and only) time.   Very good, but too much work.   
We've got a meal subscription box coming next week, but I'm nervous I'll be overwhelmed with the cooking.  

I enjoyed hello fresh, but it required standing too long (for me). It was fantastic, though. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Eos said:

OK, here's where I get to post a long-held question: what is the Ignore This Thread thread and how is this different?  Explain like I'm not very smart.

It's where a few of us just sorta do a stream of conscious daily check in multiple times a day thing. Not really education stuff, though.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've never been a big fan of jigsaw puzzles, but I decided to put one out in our basement and work on it bit by bit, whenever I go down there to walk on the treadmill. And I really enjoyed it! I finished it last night and will start a new one. The one I finished is 750 pieces, and this next one is 1000. I'm hoping to figure out what my sweet spot is, where I enjoy the challenge of the puzzle without feeling overwhelmed by it.

It's a little thing, but kind of fun.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

I want to turn ours into the bridge of the Enterprise complete with LED lights and all. DH is a Trekky.

This is what I am talking about!  This is appropriate decor for a garage!  

If you need help painting, my kids have skillz, I will send them over.  When I get a garage (if ever) you can repay in kind.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

Okay. One more I forgot. I think this lady is my twin. I’ve been watching lots of these. The part where she cleans the hotel room before she leaves is me. Guilty. I just about died at the part where she vacuums herself out of the room. (No, I don’t do that at least.)

I love this family's videos! Hilarious!

• Like 1

I’m moving in 2.5 weeks and am ridiculously excited. It’s into a house that I have had my eye on for a long time and always thought, “if that house ever becomes available, I would totally want to live there.” And now I am! 

I’m so excited in fact, that over the weekend I packed up pretty much my entire place and only left out what I need to get me through the next 2 weeks. It’s a little crazy to be surrounded by boxes for the next few weeks, but I really can’t wait to move there! 

Edited by PinkTulip
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, WildflowerMom said:

We've got a meal subscription box coming next week, but I'm nervous I'll be overwhelmed with the cooking.  

I go through phases where I cook every night and enjoy it then get burned out and don't want to cook at all for a time. I keep wondering if I should try a meal subscription. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eos said:

OK, here's where I get to post a long-held question: what is the Ignore This Thread thread and how is this different?  Explain like I'm not very smart.

ITT was started by accident. It tends to get a lot of the same posters all the time. (But anybody's welcome!) A lot of updates are personal, and might or might not be cheerful. I believe the 8th ITTiversary is coming up next month.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, BandH said:

This is what I am talking about!  This is appropriate decor for a garage!  

If you need help painting, my kids have skillz, I will send them over.  When I get a garage (if ever) you can repay in kind.  

When I can afford it and get the floor epoxy coated, I may just remind you of this offer. You do not want me to help paint. I am very messy.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

I've never been a big fan of jigsaw puzzles, but I decided to put one out in our basement and work on it bit by bit, whenever I go down there to walk on the treadmill. And I really enjoyed it! I finished it last night and will start a new one. The one I finished is 750 pieces, and this next one is 1000. I'm hoping to figure out what my sweet spot is, where I enjoy the challenge of the puzzle without feeling overwhelmed by it.

It's a little thing, but kind of fun.

Not a puzzle person myself, but for me 500 pieces is the sweet spot where it is still fun, every couple of years or so.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

I enjoyed hello fresh, but it required standing too long (for me). It was fantastic, though. 

When we got Hello Fresh, we specifically requested the 20-30 min meals. They were great for after work. Dh and I worked together so it didn’t take long at all. It was a gift. We keep saying we’ll try again but so far we haven’t. 

• Like 2

Our first daffodil of 2023 flowered a few days ago (zone 6a/6b border).  We have a spot that must be sheltered and warm because I never see another spring flower in our neighborhood before that little patch of daffodils.  I feel this odd sense of pride about it.  The rest of the family does not share my excitement and has had to endure the annual "hey, come look at this!" once again.

My good news today is that I tried on two very-cute and two pretty-cute skirts that fit me and they were each $6.  Haven't told dh yet... He won't care, but I feel guilty about spending money on myself.  Skirts are a definite weakness of mine.  I can pass up shoes, jewelry, dresses... not skirts.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, WildflowerMom said:

Dh & I made Shepherd's Pie yesterday for the first (and only) time.   Very good, but too much work.   

Too much work?  Hmm….I make super simple Shepards pie….to the point I think, is this real food?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1