Menu

what would you want in a house?

gardenmom5

we are finally getting closer to a planned future rental house. (we know the owner) Plan is 1ds will be living there for at least a few years until he is ready to buy a house when we'll probably turn this into a rental.    (we have two contractors we use, plus subs for things he can't/won't do.  we don't' have to go looking.)

but

it's a basic1980 tri-level in a good neighborhood but not particularly well laid out.   no entry coat closet.  Not sure if there ever was one, or the owner ripped it out. 

it needs a lot of work, starting with:

the master bathroom has been ripped up to the point you can see through the floor into the utility room below.  (he wanted a bigger shower.)  It is small, and we have to work with the space.  We will probably do a walk in shower, no tub.

The small master walk in closet has been ripped up . . I might be able to steal space for the bathroom - but that would mean a smaller closet. - so, bigger bathroom/smaller closet?  or keep them as is and have a bigger closet? (which still isn't much bigger than a reach in)

the upstairs flooring has been ripped out.  Carpet or hardwood in bedrooms/hall?

what colors/features are things you'd want to see in a house?  what are things you absolutely hate?   

Maple kitchen cabinets are staying - counters have to be replaced.  I don't know what moron installed the counters - but you can't put a full-size fridge in the fridge space because the counters extend into it.   Dh said "oh, yeah, granite" - um  . . I don't exactly want to spend that much for a future rental.  is quartz really that much cheaper? or another option?  (no laminate, most houses have been upgraded to granite or quartz.)  can you put a hot pot on butcher block? (maple cabinets would probably be painted - and the maple kitchen floor clashes with everything. - even the maple cabinets! It will probably be replaced - eventually.)

all appliances have to be replaced.   

tell me what you like in a range? 

do you have a preference of gas or electric? (Conceivably we can run a gas line to the kitchen and do a proper vent hood.)  

fridge? 

dishwasher?   - I have a 850 series Bosch - not sure I'll spend that much for this house, but I can see getting a bosch. 

Or just doing costco appliances.  1ds will have a say. (even if that means him adding to the appliance budget.)

the sliding door doesn't lock (owner just uses a piece of wood in the track) - so it is also very high on the list of "must be done now". - so, slider or french doors?

And those are just the "to make it livable now" things. . . . .

I would prefer a hard surface flooring to carpet any day, but especially in a rental.  Dog hair, other allergens, and spills from previous owners would be lurking in the carpet.  

I don't care much about having a walk-in closet.  Being able to stand inside my closet does not add to any storage space.  Unless it is a well-designed walk-in I often find the space I will stand simply wasted space.  

I would want a bathtub somewhere in the house (but not necessarily master bedroom).  Countertops wouldn't bother me much.  I would prefer gas to electric range, but I know that is my personal preference and does not appeal to everyone, so I would not expect it in a rental.  I did live in a rental with a Bosch dishwasher--I was so excited--until I realized it was horrible to load; my dishes just did not fit in it (although it did clean well the things I could fit in).  What size fridge are you looking at?  Not having a full size fridge would be a serious issue to me.

• Like 3

From your list: 

-walk in shower

-keep the bathroom and closet sizes so that the closet in the master is as big as you can have it be -- definitely do not shrink the closet

-upstairs I would for sure put carpet, not hardwood, for sound barrier reasons (softer footfalls on carpet); if there's a strong "everyone hates carpet" thing in your area, then you'd want to do some sound proofing/sound barrier in an underlayer, etc. 

-keep the colors of flooring and all neutral; paint colors can be changed later as needed and people can add their touches (for ex, I have tile that has both grays and beiges kind of both running throughout - something like that would be ideal in a rental b/c then it can go either cool & gray, or warm & beige with the paint and with whatever touches the tenants add)

-I'd look at the counter materials closely, both on upfront cost and maintenance costs. Granite is so incredibly low maintenance that it really might be worth it.  I'm not sure about whether you can put hot stuff on a butcher block counter (but if you already have clashing woods in there, do you really want that in the kitchen?)

-I strongly prefer gas for a range -- easier to control temp when cooking, and you have a means of cooking if the power goes out

-fridge -- would your DS take the fridge with him when he purchases a house later? If so, let him pick, and you defer this decision until after; if not, I'm old-school and really like my freezer on top, ice maker, water dispenser (but inside the fridge, not in the door, works great) regular fridge. I think I'm the minority on that though. 

-dishwasher -- quiet and efficient, whatever level of that fits in your price range

-french doors, not sliders

• Like 1

Hard flooring everywhere. Definitely, absolutely.

I don't care about a walk in closet as long as it's a "big enough" closet.

I don't care about bathtubs. We're shower people.

I have a Bosch dishwasher that's just okay. I don't like that the bottom rack is impossible to load efficiently. A repairman recently told me that Bosch is great for quiet and being dependable, but they're among the most difficult to work on. I doubt I'd buy another one unless one exists that has a better bottom rack than our current one.

My preference is for an induction range, but I can see where that might be iffy in a rental due to cookware issues.

No preference on counter tops.

• Like 1

My patio door is a sliding door and it doesn’t lock well because of temperature changes. I would say whether to have sliders or french doors would depend on the weather and the house layout. I like my sliding doors because I get a nice view even when the doors are closed during bad weather. However, for a house we looked at, french doors led to a relatively large sheltered enclave before leading to the backyard. So the french doors could stay open in bad weather since the rain or high heat won’t be reaching the living room/kitchen area.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I would prefer a hard surface flooring to carpet any day, but especially in a rental.  Dog hair,  

I don't care much about having a walk-in closet.  Being able to stand inside my closet does not add to any storage space.  Unless it is a well-designed walk-in I often find the space I will stand simply wasted space.  

I would want a bathtub somewhere in the house (but not necessarily master bedroom).  Countertops wouldn't bother me much.  I would prefer gas to electric range, but I know that is my personal preference and does not appeal to everyone, so I would not expect it in a rental.  I did live in a rental with a Bosch dishwasher--I was so excited--until I realized it was horrible to load; my dishes just did not fit in it (although it did clean well the things I could fit in).  What size fridge are you looking at?  Not having a full size fridge would be a serious issue to me.

currently there's only carpet in two bedrooms - which WILL BE ripped out and replaced with whatever flooring we put in the master and upstairs hall.    If I rent, it will be no pets - or else a big pet deposit that would be able to pay to replace carpet/deal with urine.  (I remember looking at one house with 1dd, I had to leave the cat urine smell was so overpowering.)   

The hall bathroom (it needs to be completely updated, and a fan.) has a tub. The master only had a small shower, and the owner wanted to increase its size. (which is why it's all ripped out.)

1ds will be living in the house for at least awhile.  His gf cooks (whom he wants to marry), he doesn't.  I have gas (dual-fuel range.  But I've known people who don't like it.).   But I want to know what most people want.

the lack of full-size fridge is why the counters must be replaced.  (and possibly rip out a set of cabinet/cupboard spacers to increase the space). They extend past the cabinets and into what should be the fridge space.  (it's just stupid.)  The plan is a full-size fridge.   but - how many people want a french door?  or just ''standard" freezer on top?

Not all Bosch are created equal.  I bought mine from an appliance store - and it has a very different configuration from the version at the big box stores.   

Hard surface flooring. Carpet is nasty.

I don't care about countertops or stovetops. I've had both gas and electric and have managed to cook food on both. Electric is easier to clean.

Keep the closet size and sliding doors. Storage space and floor real estate are important. Most spaces are not laid out well enough/large enough to accomodate the doorswing of french doors, space for a human to operate those doors without having to worry about toe scrapes from the door, and have a good furniture layout within the room.

Appliances are appliances. In good working order is my standard when I rent. I prefer open, usable space within the fridge and freezer rather than ice & water dispenser bacteria factories.

Neutral coloring.

• Like 3

The first thing we did in our current house was put in French doors instead of sliding doors. I don't feel sliding doors are as secure.

We WANT to change our master bedroom from a tub/shower to a fancy shower. We have a tub in the guest bathroom so we don't mind making this change. We're even thinking about taking out some storage to give us more room for a shower. Unfortunately -- this is still dream level changes.

I'd be thinking, with a rental, about what would be easy to upkeep/hard to break.

During snow-acalypse, our gas range helped make things more comfortable. With electricity out the spark did not work, but my husband used a match to light the gas and we made hot chocolate and hot soup and helped warm ourselves up a couple of times.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Ds21 says a lot of contractors are putting butcher block in rentals.  If renters stain it in some way it is easy to sand down and reseal.  

What do they use to seal it?  I can see that with painted cabinets.

34 minutes ago, TheReader said:

From your list: 

-upstairs I would for sure put carpet, not hardwood, for sound barrier reasons (softer footfalls on carpet); if there's a strong "everyone hates carpet" thing in your area, then you'd want to do some sound proofing/sound barrier in an underlayer, etc. 

-keep the colors of flooring and all neutral; paint colors can be changed later as needed and people can add their touches (for ex, I have tile that has both grays and beiges kind of both running throughout - something like that would be ideal in a rental b/c then it can go either cool & gray, or warm & beige with the paint and with whatever touches the tenants add)

-I'd look at the counter materials closely, both on upfront cost and maintenance costs. Granite is so incredibly low maintenance that it really might be worth it.  I'm not sure about whether you can put hot stuff on a butcher block counter (but if you already have clashing woods in there, do you really want that in the kitchen?)

-I strongly prefer gas for a range -- easier to control temp when cooking, and you have a means of cooking if the power goes out

-fridge -- would your DS take the fridge with him when he purchases a house later? If so, let him pick, and you defer this decision until after; if not, I'm old-school and really like my freezer on top, ice maker, water dispenser (but inside the fridge, not in the door, works great) regular fridge. I think I'm the minority on that though. 

Good thoughts.  Carpet is softer, quieter, and warmer in the winter.    I do see carpet in bedrooms even in high end mcmansions.  it would also be easy to rip out and replace between renters in the future.

1ds has an artistic bent, I trust him to choose colors that work and we'll discuss it  . . . he's not a stereotypical engineer in so many ways . . . 

something will have to be done in the kitchen - the living/dining room have brazillian cherry floors with a border (though they might end up replaced too.) - and I prefer that color to the bright golden maple floor and dull dingy color golden maple cabinets.  we will probably replace the floor - and paint the cabinets. (but those aren't pressing.)

1dd prefers the freezer on top, and hates french doors.  I think we'd have to run a water line to the fridge.  Good question about if he'd take the fridge or not.  It would probably depend on what/when he buys.

7 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

My preference is for an induction range, but I can see where that might be iffy in a rental due to cookware issues.

can induction surfaces be broken like a glass cooktop can be? (which would be a deal breaker)   I really don't know much about them.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I'd be thinking, with a rental, about what would be easy to upkeep/hard to break.

During snow-acalypse, our gas range helped make things more comfortable. With electricity out the spark did not work, but my husband used a match to light the gas and we made hot chocolate and hot soup and helped warm ourselves up a couple of times.

And that's why we have gas range and gas water heater . . . . just opened a window for ventilation.  When I was looking at ranges - I also was looking at just how many BTUs the burners put out.   

a combination of 'easy upkeep' for a renter, but still needs to be nice to live with - which will draw a higher rent when it goes on the market.  I'm sure ds would want things (and will pay the difference) that are upgrades from 'rental easy upkeep'.  And we really don't know how long he'd stay in it.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

We have gas lighters similar to the picture for power outages. We used to use these to light bunsen burners in chemistry labs so we are use to them. We bought ours from Dollar Tree.

3B619D42-CF4D-47E7-BA86-3ADD75E390D2.thumb.jpeg.095c37352f574e13db3c1d14ed876969.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Arcadia said:

We have gas lighters similar to the picture for power outages. We used to use these to light bunsen burners in chemistry labs so we are use to them. We bought ours from Dollar Tree.

3B619D42-CF4D-47E7-BA86-3ADD75E390D2.thumb.jpeg.095c37352f574e13db3c1d14ed876969.jpeg

I had one of those in Chemistry and HATED it because I could not consistently make it light. However -- probably good to have one hand because it would give more range than matches!

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

also useful for fires in a fireplace (we have woodburning), and BBQs.

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

do you have a preference of gas or electric? (Conceivably we can run a gas line to the kitchen and do a proper vent hood.)  

fridge? 

dishwasher?   - I have a 850 series Bosch - not sure I'll spend that much for this house, but I can see getting a bosch. 

Or just doing costco appliances.  1ds will have a say. (even if that means him adding to the appliance budget.)

Induction is also a type of stove people like. Between gas and electric I would pick gas.

Dishwasher: There are some very poorly designed and made dishwashers out there. The one I broke after 3 years, broke because I got water on the top of the door and that water fried the control board. 

Appliances can be a pretty penny, but there is some difference in the nice ones. Even heating for an oven, even heating for a gas cooktop, dishwasher that can handle water and quiet.

the sliding door doesn't lock (owner just uses a piece of wood in the track) - so it is also very high on the list of "must be done now". - so, slider or french doors?

French doors are so nice. For this I would ask the window/patio door person. What I heard is sliding doors are less susceptible changing temperatures warping because they don't open up, but they can remedy that for french by using better materials. Of course you have extreme temperatures you would need to use the better material regardless of sliding or french so it may not matter.

Dh said "oh, yeah, granite" - um  . . I don't exactly want to spend that much for a future rental.  is quartz really that much cheaper? or another option?  (no laminate, most houses have been upgraded to granite or quartz.)  can you put a hot pot on butcher block? (maple cabinets would probably be painted - and the maple kitchen floor clashes with everything. - even the maple cabinets! It will probably be replaced - eventually.)

Quartz is not always cheaper. There is a range of prices for granite and quartz, and there is overlap (I do believe low end quartz is cheaper than low end granite). My suggestion (if possible) is just to go look and see/ask for the prices. Yes you can put hot pot on butcher block but it may leave a mark.

I will always put in hardwood floor; for a rental maybe laminate floor. I dislike carpet.

• Like 1

As a landlord for almost 40,years, I will say renters can trash everything and anything. We just spent 3 months and $30,000 repairing damage from the last renter who was protected from eviction because of Covid. My husband did everything except  flooring and painting, or it would have cost us more. 

I suggest you consider what kind of rent you expect to get, (include insurance and tax costs) , what kind of damage deposit you can expect to get from renter (I can’t imagine getting a damage deposit big enough to cover carpet damage) and what insurance will cover when you have a damage/vandalism  claim. Most of the time when we had damage, our deductible was more than the damage cost to repair. 

I would check into butcher block counter tops. I currently have granite, and I’m not thrilled it…but I think I have defective granite…it is pitted everywhere. It also is very smeary to keep clean. I have to wipe it down with clean dish towel after I wash it with dish rag. 

I agree with whoever said to use tile or flooring that can go either beige or gray. Gray is kind of on its way out right now.

Tour of Homes in our area showed much darker cabinetry than has been popular in the past few years. Dark as walnut from the 80’s even. 

We have electric stoves  in our rentals. It’s been a good choice until recently. Drip pans for our stove couldn’t be bought alone, supposedly, and it cost us almost as much to replace them as we had to buy a whole kit,  as it would have been to buy a new stove 2 years ago. 
The last renter left the stove in such bad condition we just replaced it with a really nice  used one from Craigslist .

Personally, we moved last year and bought a model home with gas stove….. I miss my glass top stove. But I don’t think I would trust renters with it.

French doors need a lot of space when they are open. If they are going outside, not into a porch, I would

put in a slider.

Keep the closet space if you can, and rework bathroom as best you can to accommodate a larger shower. 

• Like 3

I prefer gas stovetops and electric ovens.  But, gas stoves are undergoing an anti-campaign right now in CA, and it's starting to be argued that the effluents are bad for kids.  I'm not sure that's true, but for a rental I'd do all electric--less fire risk, easier to repair, and avoids that issue if it spreads to other states as seems likely.

I would never live in a place without a tub.  Having said that, if you're putting in a new shower anyway a selling point would be grab bars or grab bar ready, and no threshold (barrier free), bonus points for an installed flop down shower seat.  If you do that you'd also want a high profile toilet with a grab bar.

Hard floors are better than carpet, but using LVP is more practical in a rental than hardwood, albeit not as attractive.

I think stainless steel appliances are about to fade in popularity.  I'd suggest going with something lower maintenance--either black stainless or white.

• Like 3

Current landlord for over 15 years in neighborhoods that were more impoverished through uppermiddle class.

Before making any decisions look at other rentals and houses for sale in the area. Tour in person of possible and check out past listing online for pictures to get an idea of what they are like. Get as many comps for rentals as you can. Many realtors can help with this.

You want your changes and upgrades to be as close as possible to these. You also want everything in the place to be able to take abuse or be inexpensive enough that to replace. 

Plan to charge current market rent and make decisions based on that. Yes, it most will increase, but it is unwise to plan on an unknown variable. 

The only rental I went above and beyond was one that I have people I personally trust in (they rented from us for several years and I knew they would care for the place) and that is a serious contender for a future residence for us. Oh and I got lucky. I was at Restore when donations of barely used high end lights and appliances came in and I was able to walk out with thousands in products for only a few hundred.

• Like 2

Hard floors all the way.  We are currently living in a rental house that has all hardwood floors with a couple of small rugs. We don't wear shoes in the house, so when we got here we had to clean the floors thoroughly in order to get them clean enough to go shoeless. It took DAYS of scrubbing to get up the accumulated dirt, and after seeing how much came up from the hardwood we rented a steam cleaner from Home Depot to go over the area rugs.  When we were done the rugs were an entirely different shade.  And this house is pretty well taken care of and was cleaned before we got here!

Also, this is our second rental house in three years that inexplicably has a white leather couch.  Why anyone would buy white furniture for a rental is beyond me -- maybe it tends to go on sale?  -- but it really does not make any sense at all.

This house has black countertops, and they always look terrible no matter how much we clean.  

I cook a lot and prioritize a very good vent hood, but I'm not sure that everyone does.  This house has a poor hood and so not only are all the cabinets slightly sticky from grease, but also the smoke alarm goes off every time I roast a chicken.  Fortunately, it's not connected to an alarm system that summons the fire department, but it is definitely annoying..

Full-sized fridge is a must in a rental, IMO.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KatieJ said:

As a landlord for almost 40,years, I will say renters can trash everything and anything. W 

I suggest you consider what kind of rent you expect to get, (include insurance and tax costs) ,  

I would check into butcher block counter tops. I currently have granite, and I’m not thrilled it…but I think I have defective granite…it is pitted everywhere. It also is very smeary to keep clean. I have to wipe it down with clean dish towel after I wash it with dish rag. 

. Dark as walnut from the 80’s even. 

I miss my glass top stove. But I don’t think I would trust renters with it.

We know what the rental market is like.  This is a good neighborhood, middle/upper middle class and commands a higher rent.    And google is buying up property not far from it, which will drive up rents even more when more techies move in.   

builder's grade dark walnut was ick when it was new.  I care less about paint, as it is so easy to repaint - at least smaller rooms with lower ceilings.

There's a lot of stone sold as granite - that's not really granite.    I've never had a problem with my granite counter and they're at least 20 years old. travertine is a softer stone - and it will pit. badly.

I absolutely would not trust renters with a glass stove top.    That's why I was asking about induction.   

25 minutes ago, SHP said:

Current landlord for over 15 years in neighborhoods that were more impoverished through uppermiddle class.

Before making any decisions look at other rentals and houses for sale in the area. Tour in person of possible and check out past listing online for pictures to get an idea of what they are like. Get as many comps for rentals as you can. Many realtors can help with this.

You want your changes and upgrades to be as close as possible to these. You also want everything in the place to be able to take abuse or be inexpensive enough that to replace. 

I've spent a lot of time on various real estate sites looking at the recently sold, and for sale houses in this neighborhood specifically. (we were trying to gauge prices - and finishes/condition affects prices so I was looking at them too.)  They're mostly significantly upgraded older houses and are selling for several $$$K more than we're paying.  The fact this owner has not been, rational, with his house. . . well, let's just say, we can do a lot of upgrades and work just to be on par with the rest of the neighborhood and still come out ahead.

16 minutes ago, JennyD said:

Hard floors all the way.  We are currently living in a rental house that has all hardwood floors with a couple of small rugs. We don't wear shoes in the house, so when we got here we had to clean the floors thoroughly in order to get them clean enough to go shoeless. It took DAYS of scrubbing to get up the accumulated dirt, and after seeing how much came up from the hardwood we rented a steam cleaner from Home Depot to go over the area rugs.  When we were done the rugs were an entirely different shade.  And this house is pretty well taken care of and was cleaned before we got here!

Also, this is our second rental house in three years that inexplicably has a white leather couch.  Why anyone would buy white furniture for a rental is beyond me -- maybe it tends to go on sale?  -- but it really does not make any sense at all.

This house has black countertops, and they always look terrible no matter how much we clean.  

I cook a lot and prioritize a very good vent hood, but I'm not sure that everyone does.   

Are you renting a furnished house?  we're not furnishing it for a rental.  

I do get you on the hardwoods being dirty.  2dd is currently in a rental for a year.  she's complained about how dirty it was from previous renters when they moved in. - (they hate the place - which is newer and smaller than her house in TX, her friends in that area think it's a "palace". everything is relative.)

a good degreaser is a back saver.

for a gas range - here you must have an exterior vented hood with a minimum air flow for safety. (don't recall what it is off-hand, but those stupid microwaves/ductless hoods that redirect air back into the kitchen don't qualify.)

Hard floors, no question, and preferably hardwood. It’s easier to keep clean, and more flexible, because anyone who does want carpet can get an area rug. Wall to wall carpet would eliminate a big percentage of potential renters.

My strong preference is for induction cooktops, but failing that, probably standard electric. I know gas is better for cooking, but there’s evidence that it’s harmful because it leaks, even when the stove is off. Besides, it’s a fossil fuel, so why perpetuate its use.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/have-a-gas-stove-how-to-reduce-pollution-that-may-harm-health-202209072811

A bathtub somewhere would be helpful, maybe essential, to families with young kids.

A simple, standard, full sized fridge, without an ice maker, eliminates potential damage from leaks, and gives more storage space.

Ventilation is important, both a good exhaust fan in the kitchen, and one in each bathroom. Windows are good complements to fans, but not replacements.

Sliding doors look a bit dated and downmarket to me, as well as being insecure, so I’d vote for French doors.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

Induction cooktops are glass, so if that’s a dealbreaker, they’re not what you want.

That is a deal breaker - I will not put in a glass cooktop.

So - it's gas vs electric.  (we'd have to run a gas line, or else do electric.)

Where I live, rental houses do not come with a refrigerator. I worked for a property management company at one point and none of the houses came with refrigerators, I think owners did not want to be responsible for fixing it if it broke or leaked and damaged something. Apartments do, but not houses. 

Shower only in master is fine, when we had small kids a tub somewhere in the house was a must. 

1 minute ago, gardenmom5 said:

That is a deal breaker - I will not put in a glass cooktop.

So - it's gas vs electric.  (we'd have to run a gas line, or else do electric.)

If you don't want glass then I'd vote for gas. No way would I want to go back to a stove with electric coils.

• Haha 2

I'd do hard flooring surfaces everywhere I could. But honestly, whatever would be easiest and cheapest to clean afterwards and replace if needed.  My dd and friends rented a house, requirements were that you had to clean the carpet after moving out. They got the company the rental company recommended, guy came out, said the carpet was in bad shape but that it was almost all normal wear and tear, wrote a note saying that, said he wasn't going to charge them for cleaning it, rental company replaced carpet (Hopefully for the new renters!).  On roommate had a cat that would scratch a hole in the carpet outside a closed door. 

For the bathroom, I'd prefer just a shower in the master bath and a decent sized closet. But if the closet is small, that isn't going to make me walk away from a rental.

As for colors and fixtures - I'd do a basic off white or light tan on the walls. Pick a favorite color for fixtures and use it through the house. Do most people even notice this in a rental? I'm just after - do all the fixtures work, is there adequate lighting, stuff like that. 

As for range, I think most prefer electric. I prefer gas, but I wouldn't run a gas line for a rental. 

For appliances - I'd want them to work. I'd be fine with whatever full size refrigerator was there. I'd probably do the freezer on top, single door ones as they are so much cheaper. If possible, I would get one with an automatic ice maker though. But we like lots of ice!

As for the sliding door - I sorta like those because you get so much visibility. If it is to my backyard, I like them, as long as my backyard is private or fenced. They do sell devices that you attach to the end of the door that folds down against the open section/opposing wall frame that keeps those closed. Those seem pretty secure. 

But my goal would be to put decent stuff in the house that can take a beating and still look good. Not all renters are careful and clean in their living arrangements. 

58 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

If you don't want glass then I'd vote for gas. No way would I want to go back to a stove with electric coils.

I'm with you on that.   I don't miss them at all.  my mom had a 1950s electric range - the coils were A LOT smaller (so more "spins") than my builder special 1980s era electric coil range.

I love my gas range.

38 minutes ago, Bambam said:

As for the sliding door - I sorta like those because you get so much visibility. If it is to my backyard, I like them, as long as my backyard is private or fenced.  

But my goal would be to put decent stuff in the house that can take a beating and still look good. Not all renters are careful and clean in their living arrangements. 

The slider is in the dining room, and looks out on the covered deck.  Which is nice, but . . you can't see anything else.  It's dark.  ds despises the way the cover was constructed and wants to rip it off (and it catches fir needles galore) - I plan on leaving it as the deck isn't bad, though the steps need repair. (it's very close to the ground, two steps down) the backyard is really small (the front is bigger), and on two levels.

Property line fences are fine.  Fences from the house to the property line fences must be repaired/or replaced.  and there are bunnies . . . 

my goal is also durable, but looks good.  I expect ds will be in it for at least a few years (he likes his job, and lots of growth potential), so - I'm willing to do more for him than I would if it was straight to rental.  He also has plans on things he wants to do - he needs to discuss it with us, but he has sense. (he put smart switches in 1dd's house.    . . . I wish I'd known about them when he redid all of my switches/outlets three years ago.)  

Edited by gardenmom5

Our rental in the Cambridge, MA, area had hardwood floors AND a stipulation that at least 75% of every room floor had to be covered by a tenant-provided area rug. 
I thought that was the best compromise because we didn't have gross wall-to-wall stressing us out but we also kept the floors in great condition.

We bought some of our area rugs from the out-going tenants and then resold some of ours later.

Emily

• Like 1

QUESTION:

The wall from the kitchen to the dining room has been ripped out - so it's wide open.

the wall from the kitchen to the living room is standing.  There are zero cabinets on this wall - so the kitchen still has a "L-shaped" layout.  No island.  

would you want the wall taken down and completely opened up? then there's room for an island.    (we'd have to do a structural post - which could be "blended" by doing a post at both ends of an island for bearing the overhead beam.)

or leave the wall up?  it's a big living room and dining room area.   (tri-level house - so this would open up the entire "middle" tri-level floor.)

there is a long wall where bookcases/etc. could be placed.  The kitchen/living room wall is directly opposite the wall with the fireplace.

5 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

QUESTION:

The wall from the kitchen to the dining room has been ripped out - so it's wide open.

the wall from the kitchen to the living room is standing.  There are zero cabinets on this wall - so the kitchen still has a "L-shaped" layout.  No island.  

would you want the wall taken down and completely opened up? then there's room for an island.    (we'd have to do a structural post - which could be "blended" by doing a post at both ends of an island for bearing the overhead beam.)

or leave the wall up?  it's a big living room and dining room area.   (tri-level house - so this would open up the entire "middle" tri-level floor.)

there is a long wall where bookcases/etc. could be placed.  The kitchen/living room wall is directly opposite the wall with the fireplace.

I would vote to open it up  and add the island if there is another living room space. Tri levels  that I am familiar with, have a family room on the next level down. My reason being is noise, TV’s, etc. sometimes you need a quiet space to be away from the noise.

• Like 1

I am currently in a honeymoon phase with a butcher block island.  I like that it looks thick and sturdy and that it feels warm to the touch. I’ve already cut lemons directly on it and I probably wouldn’t attempt the cutting or the lemons with a stone surface. I have a habit of using a trivet anyway, but I did put a pot directly on the surface the other day and there was no mark. This was one of those corningware oven-stovetop deals and I wondered if people put those on granite. It seems like the counter would be fine but the pan might not like the sudden temperature change. I don’t know. I wasn’t thinking about putting butcher block near my sink, but after a month of use it’s proving to be extremely water resistant. I did treat it for about a month before installing it so that might not be practical. 

As for the slider vs French door question; French doors are really pretty but sliders just seem more practical to me. They obstruct the view less, there’s no dealing with door swing, and where I live a screen door is very important.  I’m not sure how screens work with French doors. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2022 at 10:34 AM, gardenmom5 said:

the master bathroom has been ripped up to the point you can see through the floor into the utility room below.  (he wanted a bigger shower.)  It is small, and we have to work with the space.  We will probably do a walk in shower, no tub.

walk-in shower is great. However, for a rental - is there another tub somewhere else in the house? If you rent to a family with kids, they'll want a tub somewhere...

The small master walk in closet has been ripped up . . I might be able to steal space for the bathroom - but that would mean a smaller closet. - so, bigger bathroom/smaller closet?  or keep them as is and have a bigger closet? (which still isn't much bigger than a reach in)

Adequate closet is enough - but bathrooms don't have to be enormous.

the upstairs flooring has been ripped out.  Carpet or hardwood in bedrooms/hall?

I'll go against the grain and say carpet for upstairs. If not - I'd do a laminate flooring versus real hardwood for renters. Hardwood requires maintenance and, in our experience, that is not a strong suit of most renters (or I'll be expected to do it, and goodness knows I don't want to!)

what colors/features are things you'd want to see in a house?  what are things you absolutely hate?   

Neutrals allllll day long. Warm neutrals are coming back into style, so I'd probably stick with those. Cream colors, beige, etc.

Maple kitchen cabinets are staying - counters have to be replaced.  I don't know what moron installed the counters - but you can't put a full-size fridge in the fridge space because the counters extend into it.   Dh said "oh, yeah, granite" - um  . . I don't exactly want to spend that much for a future rental.  is quartz really that much cheaper? or another option?  (no laminate, most houses have been upgraded to granite or quartz.)  can you put a hot pot on butcher block? (maple cabinets would probably be painted - and the maple kitchen floor clashes with everything. - even the maple cabinets! It will probably be replaced - eventually.)

Again, for a future rental, I'd pop nice laminate countertops up. All the quartz/granite require some level of maintenance or carefulness and, again, in my experience, that doesn't happen. A good laminate is a workhorse and SO easy to take care of.

Electric

fridge? something sufficient - look for good reviews on a moderately priced unit.

dishwasher?   - I have a 850 series Bosch - not sure I'll spend that much for this house, but I can see getting a bosch.  Again, sufficient. Something that looks nice, has good reviews as far as ease-of-use.

Nothing wrong with Costco appliances if the reviews are good!

I like French doors but you could probably just flip a coin or compare prices and go with the cheapest if you don't have a strong preference.

All of my input is based my thought processes as a landlord. 😅 I used to put "really nice" things in rent houses and learned my lesson. Now I prioritize nice-looking, STURDY, easy-to-clean, easy-to-care-for, and easily-replaceable (ie. standard sizes) appliances and decor.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, easypeasy said:

All of my input is based my thought processes as a landlord. 😅 I used to put "really nice" things in rent houses and learned my lesson. Now I prioritize nice-looking, STURDY, easy-to-clean, easy-to-care-for, and easily-replaceable (ie. standard sizes) appliances and decor.

The master bath would have the walk in - the hall bathroom has a tub.  So, that's not an issue.

1ds will be living in the house before it becomes a rental, so I want it to be nice (but easier care) for him (though there is still a limit to how much I'll spend.)

eta: In 20 years I've never had issues with my granite.  There is a huge variation in the stone, many "granite" counters are not true granite, and are not as durable as a true granite.

Flipping a coin on the doors might be the best option. . . . pros and cons for each option.  But it does have to be replaced.

Edited by gardenmom5

Not carpeting. Even in a bedroom. I resisted hardwood in the bedroom for years due to concerns about umm noise. But it is sooo much easier to clean. Or maybe to see the dust bunnies that were what smooshed deep into the carpeting before. Yuck. Even a laminate would be better than carpeting. 

White or neutral colors everywhere.

I much prefer to cook with gas than with electric. But if it’s not for yourself, I’m not sure I would go through that expense. 

I love French doors. I really do. But they just get in the way when they’re opened on a nice day. So, I vote for sliding door. 

• Like 1

One of my concerns about a slider is locking it.  You can't open it from the outside unless it is already unlocked - or so I thought.

Apparently, you can buy keyed locks for them. . . . and more  - you can buy a smart lock for them. (only if I can reprogram it to keep a previous tenant out).  I perceive 1ds is going to fork out for that.  Or not, he's currently at 1dd's and they have "smart" garage doors.  (and light switches, and electrical outlets, and light fixtures/light bulbs . . .).  I know he'll want them. . .   They're "shiny" . . . 

What I want in a home is very different from what I would put into a house with a renter, iykwim.

I would go for easy maintenance hard floors in a rental---LVP and tile. (In my own home I would put hardwood.)

I would put in butcher block countertops (which you can sand and reseal). In my own home I would put in quartz countertops.

I would put in whatever basic appliance bundle package I could buy---probably GE these days. The appliances are generally much cheaper in a bundle.  I wouldn't pay to plumb a gas line into a kitchen for a rental. 

I would put in a basic slider.

If the property is a rental, treat it like a rental, iykwim.  You're never going to see the ROI of going high end in an 80s tri-level unless it happens to be in a fabulous location and all of the rest of the houses are similarly fabulously upgraded.  Match your neighborhood, and figure out the sweet spot of what you have to put in to get the right amount of rent. Save for the big stuff--roof, HVAC, etc.

• Like 4

Quartz would be fine with me but I’m not a fan of butcher block. I worry that it’ll warp or harbor germs more. I don’t care if that sounds irrational lol If I dry a countertop spill I want it to be dry. I feel like with wood it would still be damp for a while. 

I don’t think I have a strong gas vs electric preference as my last home had gas and even on the small burners I felt like the flame was an issue. I burned plastic handles on the side of my stainless steel pots. Ugh. And only one was labeled “quick boil” which meant the smaller ones took foreeeeever to reach a boil. If not all gas ranges are that particular about what burner does what, I’d be more happy about them. Depends if that area is prone to losing electricity too (natural disasters). My current home has a glass top. I’m not a big fan. It never looks clean and it’s brand new. It has weird stains not from food? and I don’t know if I can put hot food directly on it so I usually set a pot holder down before pulling baking sheets out. You’re not supposed to slide pots on it. Lift and move. I think it’s kinda fussy. But I suppose cleaning the old electric burners is a nightmare so there’s that. 

My opinion on bathroom space is that it’s functional and doesn’t feel cramped. I don’t need a spacious bathroom but I don’t want my knees to practically hit the shower curtain if I sit on the toilet (absolutely hate that layout btw) or the door knob to catch me as I try to walk out a narrow room. My bathroom door right now will not open much more than 90 degrees with our layout and I hate that. It will hit the tub. A tub somewhere is ideal… at least if renters have young kids. 

Storage is very important to me but walk in isn’t necessary if the closet is decent. And please add a closet light. 

I would like the entry way to have storage of some sort. Hall closet, space for hall tree, small table… something. 

Cabinets that I can get to lol Where I live it’s so hard to unload the dishwasher because when it’s open I can’t really reach the cabinet ha and another drawer won’t open at all if the dishwasher is closed. And another cabinet is just as awkward to get into. 

Back door — whatever is easier to hang a curtain over? lol French doors I have to mount curtains onto the doors?? As a renter I doubt my landlord would like that. Curtain rod above a slider might work better. And yes I want a curtain even if it faces my backyard. 

Entry to home in bad weather or unloading groceries — is it practical? Adjoining garage or carport? These are ideal 

ceiling fans vs just lights. 

Good Internet connection and phone service in area. 

Three levels? Are the bathrooms in the main levels I use? Are the stairs slippery? Do they need a runner or something? 

Just food for thought. 

56 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

What I want in a home is very different from what I would put into a house with a renter, iykwim.

I would go for easy maintenance hard floors in a rental---LVP and tile. (In my own home I would put hardwood.)

I would put in butcher block countertops (which you can sand and reseal). In my own home I would put in quartz countertops.

I would put in whatever basic appliance bundle package I could buy---probably GE these days. The appliances are generally much cheaper in a bundle.  I wouldn't pay to plumb a gas line into a kitchen for a rental. 

I would put in a basic slider.

If the property is a rental, treat it like a rental, iykwim.  You're never going to see the ROI of going high end in an 80s tri-level unless it happens to be in a fabulous location and all of the rest of the houses are similarly fabulously upgraded.  Match your neighborhood, and figure out the sweet spot of what you have to put in to get the right amount of rent. Save for the big stuff--roof, HVAC, etc.

short term - 1ds will be living in it.  He is very excited at the prospect of living in it.   He plans on marrying his gf (loves to cook, dreams of being a chef). So, I want to do "nicer" than I would do if it were *just* an open market rental.  (and if he wants nicer than I'm willing to pay for, he will pay for the cost differences . . . .He plans on doing some upgrades himself. yes, he's very attentive to detail and capable of doing a good job.)

long term - if/when he moves out, it would be turned into a rental.  That might be a year, it might (probably) be five years (or longer).  Knowing the neighborhood and what houses are renting for - I will get more money and more prospective renters from which to choose if the finishes are in line with the neighborhood.

44 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I don’t think I have a strong gas vs electric preference as my last home had gas and even on the small burners I felt like the flame was an issue. I..... only one was labeled “quick boil” which meant the smaller ones took foreeeeever to reach a boil. If not all gas ranges are that particular about what burner does what, I’d be more happy about them. Depends if that area is prone to losing electricity too (natural disasters).

I don’t want my knees to practically hit the shower curtain if I sit on the toilet (absolutely hate that layout btw)  

Storage is very important to me but walk in isn’t necessary if the closet is decent. And please add a closet light. 

I would like the entry way to have storage of some sort. Hall closet, space for hall tree, small table… something. 

Cabinets that I can get to lol Where I live it’s so hard to unload the dishwasher because when it’s open I can’t really reach the cabinet ha and another drawer won’t open at all if the dishwasher is closed. And another cabinet is just as awkward to get into. 

Back door — whatever is easier to hang a curtain over? lol French doors I have to mount curtains onto the doors?? As a renter I doubt my landlord would like that. Curtain rod above a slider might work better. And yes I want a curtain even if it faces my backyard. 

Entry to home in bad weather or unloading groceries — is it practical? Adjoining garage or carport? These are ideal 

ceiling fans vs just lights. 

Good Internet connection and phone service in area. 

Three levels? Are the bathrooms in the main levels I use? Are the stairs slippery? Do they need a runner or something? 

Just food for thought. 

It's amazing how many "have hardly any BTU's" gas ranges are on the market . . . I looked around a lot before I bought mine.  Both front burners are high output, it was not a common feature 20 years ago.  and it's dual fuel, so I have an electric oven (which bakes better).   

gee - the master bathroom has just that layout.  😜 - but I think things are far enough apart you're not hitting the shower curtain.  We briefly looked at completely rearranging things with our contractor, and decided it wasn't worth the expense.

separate hall bathroom has a tub so that is not an issue - it needs updating (and a thorough deep clean) so it's not a high priority. 

No bathroom on the main level (and no good place to put one. no closet either) . . .two on the bedroom level, one half bath in the basement.

storage in this house sucks. (the three bedrooms have decent closets, and there's a closet in the upstairs landing (so much wasted space up there) and I think that's it.  does have hallway attic access for seasonal storage)  The laundry room has a lot of cabinets/cupboards though. - but it shares the space with a half bath.  (ick.)  No where to hang up coats near the front door . . . . there is a niche we could do a built in 'hall tree' type thing with hooks for coats and some shoe storage or drawers for hats/gloves/scarves.  

two car garage - one bay is taken up with a work bench/counter and storage, you can only park one car in it.  The bench (which is a former closet door) is getting ripped out, the garage doors will be replaced (very poor condition), and new garage door openers installed.  Needs better lighting.  He doesn't use it for cars at all - he just parks in the driveway. (which needs to be pressure washed and moss killer.)

master bedroom has NO overhead ceiling light of any kind.  one will be installed.  I think there's a light in the closet - everything was ripped out (including sheetrock and some flooring - you could see through to the basement) when I went through so no electricity, no idea what is going on with it right now.  (we're buying it from someone we know.)   

This is not an area where ceiling fans are common.  The furnace is original to the house.  (do not get me started .. . ), so a new, full HVAC will be installed. (and a new water heater.  . . . . )

there're usually a few "loose power" windstorms every year.  It's in an area a bit more likely to see those power outages, as well as snow.

1ds is a nerd . . . one of the very first things he did, was check out what kind of internet was available. . . .(I think fiber was an option.) - I was looking at some flipped houses when 1dd was buying.  They expected everyone to use wifi . . .um, nerds don't.  Nerds want ethernet ports. (he'll definitely be putting those in . . . )  I lectured the flippers on knowing their market.  If they want nerds to buy - they need to give the nerds what they want.

some windows have been replaced; others are original.  Those will need to be replaced.

If you are installing overhead lights in the bedroom, I would see if it is practical to install multiple recessed lights rather than one central light fixture.  Seldom do I need light right down in the center of the room (which in a bedroom often happens to be right at the foot of the bed).  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

short term - 1ds will be living in it.  He is very excited at the prospect of living in it.   He plans on marrying his gf (loves to cook, dreams of being a chef). So, I want to do "nicer" than I would do if it were *just* an open market rental.  (and if he wants nicer than I'm willing to pay for, he will pay for the cost differences . . . .He plans on doing some upgrades himself. yes, he's very attentive to detail and capable of doing a good job.)

long term - if/when he moves out, it would be turned into a rental.  That might be a year, it might (probably) be five years (or longer).  Knowing the neighborhood and what houses are renting for - I will get more money and more prospective renters from which to choose if the finishes are in line with the neighborhood.

It's amazing how many "have hardly any BTU's" gas ranges are on the market . . . I looked around a lot before I bought mine.  Both front burners are high output, it was not a common feature 20 years ago.  and it's dual fuel, so I have an electric oven (which bakes better).   

gee - the master bathroom has just that layout.  😜 - but I think things are far enough apart you're not hitting the shower curtain.  We briefly looked at completely rearranging things with our contractor, and decided it wasn't worth the expense.

separate hall bathroom has a tub so that is not an issue - it needs updating (and a thorough deep clean) so it's not a high priority. 

No bathroom on the main level (and no good place to put one. no closet either) . . .two on the bedroom level, one half bath in the basement.

storage in this house sucks. (the three bedrooms have decent closets, and there's a closet in the upstairs landing (so much wasted space up there) and I think that's it.  does have hallway attic access for seasonal storage)  The laundry room has a lot of cabinets/cupboards though. - but it shares the space with a half bath.  (ick.)  No where to hang up coats near the front door . . . . there is a niche we could do a built in 'hall tree' type thing with hooks for coats and some shoe storage or drawers for hats/gloves/scarves.  

two car garage - one bay is taken up with a work bench/counter and storage, you can only park one car in it.  The bench (which is a former closet door) is getting ripped out, the garage doors will be replaced (very poor condition), and new garage door openers installed.  Needs better lighting.  He doesn't use it for cars at all - he just parks in the driveway. (which needs to be pressure washed and moss killer.)

master bedroom has NO overhead ceiling light of any kind.  one will be installed.  I think there's a light in the closet - everything was ripped out (including sheetrock and some flooring - you could see through to the basement) when I went through so no electricity, no idea what is going on with it right now.  (we're buying it from someone we know.)   

This is not an area where ceiling fans are common.  The furnace is original to the house.  (do not get me started .. . ), so a new, full HVAC will be installed. (and a new water heater.  . . . . )

there're usually a few "loose power" windstorms every year.  It's in an area a bit more likely to see those power outages, as well as snow.

1ds is a nerd . . . one of the very first things he did, was check out what kind of internet was available. . . .(I think fiber was an option.) - I was looking at some flipped houses when 1dd was buying.  They expected everyone to use wifi . . .um, nerds don't.  Nerds want ethernet ports. (he'll definitely be putting those in . . . )  I lectured the flippers on knowing their market.  If they want nerds to buy - they need to give the nerds what they want.

some windows have been replaced; others are original.  Those will need to be replaced.

Haha about the wifi. Well I run an ethernet cord to my laptop (I work from home) but I don't have a special port. I run a long cat 8 cord from my modem to my desk (I don't want to sit right by a modem so I deliberately put it across the room). My use wifi for my TV, though. My dad has the ethernet hookups all over his house. Had them added this past year. 

I am not one of those "must sleep with fan on" people but I know a lot of people are. And because I live in a hot area, I do use my fans sometimes. I might still consider the ceiling fans in your area, but can understand if you don't do it. 

I think that would be great if you could add some storage in that nook. 

Given the outages I would vote for gas range. It was great in times when we lost power in a home that had gas. Your range/oven combo sounds nice! I use my oven a lot but never thought about the gas vs electric. 

Bathroom layout - totally understandable to leave "as is" in your situation. The reason a couple bathrooms I've been in feel so cramped is because the vanity sticks out and then you can barely squeeze by it to get in/out of the room. Like you might hit yourself on the corner of the counter or bonk yourself on the doorknob. But a pedestal sink doesn't offer under counter storage. 

So the garage does connect to the house? Does it connect anywhere near the kitchen/pantry for unloading groceries? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bootsie said:

If you are installing overhead lights in the bedroom, I would see if it is practical to install multiple recessed lights rather than one central light fixture.  Seldom do I need light right down in the center of the room (which in a bedroom often happens to be right at the foot of the bed).  

I think they built my entire town without any overhead lights in the bedrooms. It’s nuts. At least we have buried lines and rarely lose power. It’s a super techy work-from-home area but our fiber internet is high speed enough to handle it. Dh has a dozen computers in his office and is a systems engineer that gets contracted out to large companies. I haven’t seen an Ethernet cable in over a decade. I don’t think it’s just hidden from me. 🤣

• Like 2

On 10/15/2022 at 9:08 AM, heartlikealion said:

So the garage does connect to the house? Does it connect anywhere near the kitchen/pantry for unloading groceries? 

the garage is part of the "basement level".  so you go out of the garage, into the basement then up the stairs and turn to go into the kitchen.  Here's a 'google streetview" - I don't think anyone would be able to find it. I can't wait to rip out that photinia (on the right) . . . .  I'm sure the neighbors will be happy to see it cleaned up.  Very representative of the era in which it was built.  the exterior will be painted - and I will probably do something darker for the chimney (which is wood)

On 10/15/2022 at 8:42 AM, Bootsie said:

I so agree.  I have no idea what the attic looks like - but there is attic access above the bedrooms.

On 10/15/2022 at 10:34 AM, KungFuPanda said:

I think they built my entire town without any overhead lights in the bedrooms. It’s nuts. At least we have buried lines and rarely lose power. It’s a super techy work-from-home area but our fiber internet is high speed enough to handle it. Dh has a dozen computers in his office and is a systems engineer that gets contracted out to large companies. I haven’t seen an Ethernet cable in over a decade. I don’t think it’s just hidden from me. 🤣

well, whatever they're on now.  1dd had her house wired for CAT6 when she bought it, before she'd move in.  She was running a virtual lab when she was at home,  and had to have the speed.    Wifi just doesnt' have the speed, no matter how fast your internet speed is, hardwired will always be faster than wifi.  She's only worked from home in this job - and wifi wouldn't cut it.   

23 hours ago, pinball said:

Flush toilets

I was one of the parents transporting girls to the "girls camp" (so they get to "rough-it" (and learn outdoor skills) for five days).  One year, I was taking them home, one of the girls immediately ran to the bathroom in her house just to flush the toilet.  🤣  (then she came back and got her stuff out of my car.)

23 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

The Ethernet cables ensure a better connection but only some companies require it. When I looked into teaching ESL online some companies insisted on a wired connection fir better stability. 

It's not about what employers "require" - it's about their own requirements.

I think 1ds is on a 'hybrid' schedule - some days from home, some days at work.

and 2ds is seriously considering moving in with him - he will also be working from home.  (I will get his bedroom back, and his 'office'.)

remember the days when kids fought over the remote control to the TV?   what does the modern family argue about?  bandwidth . . . . 

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

It's not about what employers "require" - it's about their own requirements.

I think 1ds is on a 'hybrid' schedule - some days from home, some days at work.

and 2ds is seriously considering moving in with him - he will also be working from home.  (I will get his bedroom back, and his 'office'.)

remember the days when kids fought over the remote control to the TV?   what does the modern family argue about?  bandwidth . . . . 

Some employers require a wired connection, rather than wifi, for security reasons  

• Like 1