Menu

I’m a prude - HoCo dresses

Katy

I must be getting very old. Many friends are posting pictures of their kids at homecoming and instead of thinking how grown up they look I keep thinking, “That dress has less fabric than the prostitute costume from Pretty Woman!,” and “If you’re going to wear a dress that short, put your ankles closer together instead of shoulder width apart!”  I don’t understand the love of fluorescent bodycon dresses. Or who lets a 15 year old wear 6” rhinestone stilettos.

Do these clothes really not signal the same things they did 20 years ago?  Do girls actually feel confident dressed like that?

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, GoVanGogh said:

I totally agree and I am normally quite liberal. Nudity in art doesn’t bother me. Bikinis at the beach don’t bother me. The homecoming dresses I have been seeing the past two years are shockingly short. 

Same. 

But what really freaks me out are the dance costumes for kids' dance competitions. THOSE are beyond the pale at some places. NO difference between those outfits and what the women wear in the XXX billboards on the highway. Poses are a bit too similar as well. It's so disturbing. 

and I say that as someone that has no issue with most clothing on kids/teens. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

At 15 I chose to trade in my bikini for a one-piece for a school trip to a waterpark because I’d had too many top popping up when swimming incidents to risk it in front of that many boys I knew. I cannot imagine being comfortable wearing that little fabric in front of a crowd, ever. Let alone at 15. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They are super short. But at least half the girls around here are wearing sneakers with their dresses and I love that. My dd wore sparkly converse knock offs that were adorable and I love that girls are wearing practical shoes with their formal dresses. Lol. 

My dd found a cute one that was actually really conservative but still super flattering and fashionable. Snatched that unicorn up when we found it and styled with converse it was perfect for a 14 yo. Looking at pictures from her school there were some crazy ones but it seemed like alot of girls opted for dresses that were not from the HoCo section to get more normal looking dresses. But dd goes to a very diverse Catholic school that gets a wide variety as far as what parents would allow. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Same. 

But what really freaks me out are the dance costumes for kids' dance competitions. THOSE are beyond the pale at some places. NO difference between those outfits and what the women wear in the XXX billboards on the highway. Poses are a bit too similar as well. It's so disturbing. 

Oh, yes. We went to a niece’s high school dance team competition about five years ago. It was extremely uncomfortable.

3 hours ago, Katy said:

Do these clothes really not signal the same things they did 20 years ago?  Do girls actually feel confident dressed like that?

I look at all the girls and dresses and am so impressed with how comfortable all the girls - of every size - are with their bodies. I am also impressed that the girls don’t automatically think negative thoughts about each other for wearing those dresses. I really wish my generation had grown up in a similar environment. 

I do disagree with the idea that dress-up for females mean less clothing while dress-up for males means more clothing. 

• Like 17

Just now, 2squared said:

I look at all the girls and dresses and am so impressed with how comfortable all the girls - of every size - are with their bodies. I am also impressed that the girls don’t automatically think negative thoughts about each other for wearing those dresses. I really wish my generation had grown up in a similar environment. 

I do disagree with the idea that dress-up for females mean less clothing while dress-up for males means more clothing. 

You disagree that the trend of tiny, tight, bright dresses is a thing?  Or you disagree with the idea that less clothing = dressier is a new norm?

15 minutes ago, 2squared said:

Yes! I am an old prude and have to bite my tongue, but in this day and age if the girls have body confidence, I think that’s worthy of note. 

It was honestly a challenge to find appropriate short dresses anywhere when my girls were in high school. I always crossed my fingers that a dance would be announced as long dress preferred or a theme like ‘80s or black-n-white or country or casual, so we wouldn’t have to try on a bunch of dresses that made my dds cry because they didn’t feel good in them. As bad as swimsuit shopping! If my dd could find a dress that she loved and felt pretty in, and it was no less “modest” than what most of the other girls were going to be wearing - it was a win. 

And they always took a backpack with jeans and tshirts for changing into for after dance parties anyway. 

To be clear, I don’t love these teeny styles. But it’s not like the girls wearing them are singular standouts - it’s the common style of the day. 

Edited by Grace Hopper

Dd16 has double pinkeye and she's congested, coughing and feeling really crappy tonight. So her homecoming dress is still hanging on the back of her bedroom door, and her sparkly shoes still in the box.

Really wish she could've worn the too-short dress and silly shoes, flinging them off to dance with her friends.

• Sad 30

They are too short and tight but when most are wearing them it doesn't seem to have the same effect.  20 yrs ago when I was working a prom and their was one girl in a see through dress with bright matching undergarments and one in a super tiny sparkly thing they stood out and screamed look at me.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GoVanGogh said:

I totally agree and I am normally quite liberal. Nudity in art doesn’t bother me. Bikinis at the beach don’t bother me. The homecoming dresses I have been seeing the past two years are shockingly short. 

Hmm . . are the 60's repeating?  miniskirts/dresses kept getting shorter and shorter and shorter - and, suddenly, they were mid-calf. (and no one wore minis.)

ugh - the 70s was such an ugly decade.

• Like 4

Agreeing that the dresses don't give the same connotations that they would have seemed to signal decades ago. Girls and boys are very different-minded regarding clothing nowdays, and it's mostly good news. 😄 Yay for body confidence and feeling good about yourself!!

I think the dresses are super cute - love all the colors and love the silly/stripper heels and love the sneakers too! It all just looks like goofy, teenage fun to me.

A couple of girls I know who are HOCO age wore seamless boyshorts beneath their dresses, so I'd guess that's what a lot of them are doing so they can dance and move freely.

Otherwise, I don't know how they dance or walk up stairs in those dresses! lol They are really, really short!

(and, while I do love the HOCO dresses that are popular, I do wish there was more room allowed for girls who *don't* want to show that much skin to be as easily appreciated... but I know it's often an awkward struggle for them and that bums me out. Freedom of choice should equal... y'know... freedom of choice. Another young friend of our family is wearing a dress that I KNOW she is not comfortable in just to fit in with her friends which, to me, goes completely against this freedom of fashion thing!)

• Like 11

4 hours ago, easypeasy said:

(and, while I do love the HOCO dresses that are popular, I do wish there was more room allowed for girls who *don't* want to show that much skin to be as easily appreciated... but I know it's often an awkward struggle for them and that bums me out. Freedom of choice should equal... y'know... freedom of choice. Another young friend of our family is wearing a dress that I KNOW she is not comfortable in just to fit in with her friends which, to me, goes completely against this freedom of fashion thing!)

Last weekend, my husband and I were having dinner in a restaurant that was full of HOCO groups, and I thought the same thing--that the girls did not look comfortable in their dresses and that they were all wearing the same dress. Sure, it was in slightly different colors, but--it was the same dress: short (so short the girls kept pulling them down every time they moved; how they were going to dance or get in or out of cars was a mystery to me), sparkly, body-con, and mostly strapless. And their hair was all the same as well--long, flat-ironed and then curled on a curling iron. The boys' attire, on the other hand, was all over the place, so that was progress.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2squared said:

5 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Hmm . . are the 60's repeating?  miniskirts/dresses kept getting shorter and shorter and shorter - and, suddenly, they were mid-calf. (and no one wore minis.)

It boggles me that there is so much amnesia.Super short dresses aren't some new thing.

And yes I'm thrilled that I see all the girls wearing dresses and not thinking some styles are only for certain body types. My dd has 2 best friends-- one thinner than her and one bigger than her and there are no comments. It's all positivity. 

Fwiw dd wore a shorter dress but it was not tight. It was lots of fluffy hot pink tulle. Pink is her favorite color. I'd post a pic except they are all on her phone.

I didn't see any super high heels, just regular heels, some tennis shoes. 

And the idea that any type of clothing signals to a man you're available for s*x pisses me off. Our bodies are not just for male amusement and use. 

Now I think the idea that you only wear short dresses to HOCO and long dresses to prom is a stupid one, that I can agree with. And we go over how to stand and be careful. I didn't see anybody being all stupid.

• Like 10

I’ve had the same thoughts about the dresses and I also hate the HOCO abbreviation. If the girls are confident in them, I do think that’s great, even though my first reaction was a raised eyebrow. I do feel for girls who are not comfortable in them but would stick out like a sore thumb if they wore something more modest. Maybe there is more variety at the actual event but the pics I’m seeing are all the same exact cut of dress. It never ends, all this pressure on girls in one way or another. 

• Like 3

It is always interesting to see fashion's role in history.  In times of instability, women's fashions have always been shorter, more risque, or less fabric in general. 

I wonder what today's fashions will say about this time period and supply chains, recessions, and inflation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

My sister recently posted her prom ‘02-ish pic. I’m only 7 years older. The difference between hers and mine is “whoa!” to me, but funny to her.  I’m sure my mom thought the same thing between her 70s dresses and my 90s ones.

Funny thing is, in daily life, my mom wore tube tops and hip huggers. I think there was a huge difference between general attire standards and formal standards, and that they simply kind of flipped, and then stayed in the “scandalous” formal/more modest general mode this past decade or two.  
Making it actually not very scandalous at all to those actually involved.

8 hours ago, Katy said:

You disagree that the trend of tiny, tight, bright dresses is a thing?  Or you disagree with the idea that less clothing = dressier is a new norm?

I disagree with the idea. female dress up shouldn’t mean less clothing, but it does. Not just in dress up, in sports uniforms and pretty much everywhere else. That concept makes me angry. Why does my 14yo’s volleyball uniform have teeny tiny shirts while the male volleyball players have running type shorts?

with that said…I am so very, very pleased that girls seem to be so much more comfortable with their bodies now than when I was in high school. I remember when legging started being fashionable and I thought, no way will I wear those as an overweight middle aged mom, and yet here I am. I am so thankful to see this progress. 

Our school doesn’t hold a formal HOCO dance, so I don’t have to worry about dresses, but they do wear hem lines that seem uncomfortable. Doesn’t phase then, and they do wear shirts underneath for their own comfort. 

• Like 7

6 hours ago, easypeasy said:

and, while I do love the HOCO dresses that are popular, I do wish there was more room allowed for girls who *don't* want to show that much skin to be as easily appreciated... but I know it's often an awkward struggle for them and that bums me out. Freedom of choice should equal... y'know... freedom of choice. Another young friend of our family is wearing a dress that I KNOW she is not comfortable in just to fit in with her friends which, to me, goes completely against this freedom of fashion thing!)

I agree. I don't have any homecoming people in my life right now, so I haven't any current personal experience. But based on my own experience of the 60s, not all those girls are comfortable in those dresses. I remember having to wear super short minis (because that's all there was, and everyone was wearing them) and feeling horrible in them, awkward, fat, and clumsy. Maybe there is more body positivity in the world now, but I am sure there are still girls who would like it if there was more variety in style and they did not feel pressured to wear a super short low cut mini dress in order to fit in with the group. I'm not pursing my lips disapprovingly at the styles, or longing for the days of modesty. 

I actually remember the first time I tried on a midi skirt, in a dressing room in JC Penney. Finally I felt graceful and like I could move freely. I was so happy when that became the style. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, 2squared said:

It is my observation that, anytime the expectation is that females wear either significantly more or significantly less clothing than males, there is objectification of the female body involved. 

I find both extremes profoundly troubling and problematic.

• Like 17

I was shocked at the dress my 13-year-old niece wore to HoCo.  Stillettos, strapless, stopped at the upper tights, skin tight. I think for me, though, there’s an element of I always thought my sister and I shared much of the same values and we’d be raising our children together, and she has left behind the values I thought we shared to the point that I’ve had to distance my kids from their cousins(a lot of it is the complete internet and social media freedom she gives her 13 and and 12 year old children).  I reject most of purity culture too, but I do think there’s a place for dressing modestly and dressing your age.

Plus the Snaps I saw of my niece, at 13, and her boyfriend engaging in all kinds of physical activity at HoCo disturbed me as well.  My kids’ schools don’t have homecoming or prom, and at the moment I am glad we’re going to just skip this.

I freely admit that I am probably some kind of prude who barely allows my 10 year old to wear a two piece swimsuit(she was one and it’s closer to a tankini).  My rule for clothes is that you need to be able to move comfortably in whatever position you want or need to without having to think about what might be(or might not be) showing. 

Edited by Mrs Tiggywinkle Again
  • Like 2

My kids just had homecoming last week.  I hated the shortness of the dresses and would have liked more top coverage too.  My kids did wear shorts underneath.  There were few realistic options if I didn’t want my kid to just stay home.  For one kid, it was the first dress she wore since early 2020, so I decided that 2-3 hours in a short dress (with similarly clad friends) wouldn’t kill anyone.

To be fair, the shorts they wear on warm days show more leg.

• Like 5

I said this several years ago on here Re: shortness of dresses and was ridiculed by some posters for saying it. My own kids at the time were at a private school that did not allow dresses that short and I was grateful for the rule TBH. 

A lot of girls wear bike shorts under. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Soror said:

It boggles me that there is so much amnesia.Super short dresses aren't some new thing.

Soror - we're old.  For many boardies - it was before their time.

I remember when minis barely covered a girls crotch - and they came with panty covers in the same fabric as the dress.

• Like 6

While I don’t like the shortness of the dresses and my dd found a longer one and wouldn’t be comfortable wearing the shortest ones…there are things to keep in mind like the shortness of volleyball shorts/cheerleading uniforms/dance team uniforms/track shorts/what their grandmothers wore in the ‘70s/ etc.

I focus with my dd on what she feels comfortable in and that no one is going to look pretty if they aren’t confident and if they are tugging at and adjusting their clothes all night. So a dress that covers all the bits while she moves and makes her feel good is what we are looking for. And she will always wear shorts under because she is just not that skilled at being ladylike in a dress. 

While I wouldn’t allow a lot of the dresses that I have seen (though when we were shopping a lot of them I told her were just too old and might be a different discussion jr/sr year vs. freshman year) I really want that discussion in house. I find the idea of someone standing at the door of the dance evaluating my dd’s attire for modesty standards totally creepy. So I’m pretty conflicted on the rules for what passes muster. I’ll handle that in house and not worry about it a bit for anyone else at all. I hope everyone feels great and has a great time and no one makes them feel icky about their clothes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My mom discussed mini skirts when she was a kid. In the late 60’s & early 70’s. That was 50-55 years ago. I don’t remember anything that short when I was a kid. Even our cheer & volleyball uniforms had to be at least thumb length, which is longer than these dresses. 

• Like 2

I feel with fashion, there needs to be balance in an outfit.  I don't mind shorter dresses if the top area is more covered.  Like a shorter dress with long sleeves can be really cute.   My niece has recently dressed in more revealing ways.  It makes my husband uncomfortable when she dresses that way to be around family only. 

How many of you are seeing the online conversations about Lizzo and her outfits?  I think she has so much going for her, but her attire makes her controversial.  And I do feel that kind of attire on a smaller person is controversial, too, so for me---it's not about her size.  And pop stars have been dressing this way for ages.  I don't know a whole lot about Lizzo, but in a lot of ways, I think she could be very inspiring to children--with her training in classical music.  But in some, I don't feel her outfits are appropriate for young children to see.  

I get more prudish with age, too, I guess!

14 hours ago, Katy said:

I must be getting very old. Many friends are posting pictures of their kids at homecoming and instead of thinking how grown up they look I keep thinking, “That dress has less fabric than the prostitute costume from Pretty Woman!,” and “If you’re going to wear a dress that short, put your ankles closer together instead of shoulder width apart!”  I don’t understand the love of fluorescent bodycon dresses. Or who lets a 15 year old wear 6” rhinestone stilettos.

Wait, what? 

what did these clothes signal 20 years ago?

what are you really saying here?

3 minutes ago, Ting Tang said:

I feel with fashion, there needs to be balance in an outfit.  I don't mind shorter dresses if the top area is more covered.  Like a shorter dress with long sleeves can be really cute.   My niece has recently dressed in more revealing ways.  It makes my husband uncomfortable when she dresses that way to be around family only. 

How many of you are seeing the online conversations about Lizzo and her outfits?  I think she has so much going for her, but her attire makes her controversial.  And I do feel that kind of attire on a smaller person is controversial, too, so for me---it's not about her size.  And pop stars have been dressing this way for ages.  I don't know a whole lot about Lizzo, but in a lot of ways, I think she could be very inspiring to children--with her training in classical music.  But in some, I don't feel her outfits are appropriate for young children to see.  

I get more prudish with age, too, I guess!

Are you referring to her thongs?

13 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Same. 

I kid you not.  I saw a costume with a leather strap running up and down, making a V near the collar bone.  The top was cropped.  I don't mind two piece costumes, but it screamed...well...you know on 8 year olds.    I also don't like all the caressing I have seen in routines of the legs.  I watch the competitions online because my niece is a dancer.  My daughter's studio is quite the opposite, thank goodness!

3 minutes ago, pinball said:

Wait, what? 

what did these clothes signal 20 years ago?

what are you really saying here?

I don’t know why you find me so offensive, but if you feel the need to interpret everything I post in the worst possible light, go ahead and block me now. 

eta: I’ll do the same and then you’ll understand why I won’t be responding. 

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

Just now, pinball said:

Are you referring to her thongs?

I've seen so many different posts of different outfits.  One I saw, she was actually fully covered in a unitard nude fabric with pink sparkly appliqued fabric over her bits.  Most of it has been about the flute playing. She played a flute at the Library of Congress (in a casual outfit) but also played it at a concert wearing a sparkly body suit and nylons I believe--possibly a thong style.  So I think she's showing up all over social media lately, lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ting Tang said:

I've seen so many different posts of different outfits.  One I saw, she was actually fully covered in a unitard nude fabric with pink sparkly appliqued fabric over her bits.  Most of it has been about the flute playing. She played a flute at the Library of Congress (in a casual outfit) but also played it at a concert wearing a sparkly body suit and nylons I believe--possibly a thong style.  So I think she's showing up all over social media lately, lol.

Ah…yeah, I think that outfit, which was pretty much as you described, was deemed offensive moreso bc of what she was doing. I think people just pounced on what she was wearing bc they didn’t agree with her playing Madison ’s flute to begin with…

6 minutes ago, Katy said:

I don’t know why you find me so offensive, but if you feel the need to interpret everything I post in the worst possible light, go ahead and block me now. 

eta: I’ll do the same and then you’ll understand why I won’t be responding. 

Or your could just explain what you meant

shrug

47 minutes ago, Quill said:

I said this several years ago on here Re: shortness of dresses and was ridiculed by some posters for saying it. My own kids at the time were at a private school that did not allow dresses that short and I was grateful for the rule TBH. 

A lot of girls wear bike shorts under. 

Yeah, there seems to be an undercurrent here in this thread that there is something *wrong* with the super short dresses

where are all the old posters who’d cry, “no one’s forcing you to wear it” “stop looking if you don’t like it” ??

🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pinball said:

Ah…yeah, I think that outfit, which was pretty much as you described, was deemed offensive moreso bc of what she was doing. I think people just pounced on what she was wearing bc they didn’t agree with her playing Madison ’s flute to begin with…

A flute they never knew about....lol  she plays beautifully.  I am not a fan of "twerking." I read it dates back to African dance, but some popstars made it into something else, and I think they came before Lizzo was popular (Miley Cyrus?).  No issues with the flute, though, on my end.  That I guess is up for debate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ting Tang said:

A flute they never knew about....lol  she plays beautifully.  I am not a fan of "twerking." I read it dates back to African dance, but some popstars made it into something else, and I think they came before Lizzo was popular (Miley Cyrus?).  No issues with the flute, though, on my end.  That I guess is up for debate.

So she twerked while holding a flute. Horrors!

I bet if it had been Madonna back in her most popular time she would have rubbed herself with it. Ahem.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

Hey now! The ‘70s were awesome! Granted some of the dress styles were a bit funky, but the florals and mushrooms were amazing and I am super excited they are trendy now. I can’t wait until cooler weather so I can wear the vintage orange and mushroom scarf I bought on Etsy a few months ago. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, pinball said:

So she twerked while holding a flute. Horrors!

I bet if it had been Madonna back in her most popular time she would have rubbed herself with it. Ahem.

Yes, she would have, lol! Lizzo just vibrated with the melody… and it was at her concert, not at the Library of Congress. This also reminds me of The Harry Styles coverage lately, lol. Look back to the 80s to see how men dressed… 😂 all starts to feel more right when you realize… not much has changed in some ways! 

Edited by Ting Tang

I am all for girls wearing whatever they like and feel comfortable in.  

I don’t like dressmakers and fashion deciding that everyone has to wear the same shirt, tight dresses.  Or long, dresses. I really want fashion to be more heterogeneous and individual and have lots of options.  But apparently that’s not how it works.  Nobody asked me.  

• Like 11

24 minutes ago, GoVanGogh said:

Hey now! The ‘70s were awesome! Granted some of the dress styles were a bit funky, but the florals and mushrooms were amazing and I am super excited they are trendy now. I can’t wait until cooler weather so I can wear the vintage orange and mushroom scarf I bought on Etsy a few months ago. 

They were ugly. 

ugly colors for decor . . . harvest gold, avocado green, brown . . . My mother made an afghan out of those colors.  She ordered two-tone green shag carpet.    I came home from school and was like  . . .😮 but it was also all the rage.

dh told stories for years of his mother *painting* mahogany furniture avocado green . . (needless to say, he hates the color.)  we had the avocado green corelle dishes.  They were just  . . ugly.

I recall the vintage house we saw while house shopping for dd.  It was well maintained - but bright orange formica countertops . . . ugh.

I did like my mid-calf plaid wool skirts.   Kinda miss those boots too. (not cheap, as a teen I bought them at Nordstrom) but I don't think I miss much else.  oh - famolares.  (apparently, they're back.)