Menu

100 lbs of Sweet Potatoes

Gil

I’d dice up a bunch  and freeze  so later I could roast and make a sweet potato hash. We love  it with salmon.  Dice sweet potatoes, drizzle olive oil over them, sprinkle liberally with smoked paprika, salt and pepper a bit, and roast them until done and a bit browned. Meanwhile I dice red onion and red bell pepper and sauté them in some butter or olive oil. When the sweet potatoes are done, toss with the onion and pepper mixture and serve. (I’ve never been able to get all three to be done at the same time, hence the method)

Baked sweet potato fries are always a big hit here. 

I might even boil and mash some to make a sweet potato pie at holiday time. 

100 pounds is a lot, though!!!

• Like 2

I guess I'd do them my favorite way - just bake them whole until they are super soft, sweet and caramelizing - scoop out the insides and then freeze. Then I'd thaw and eat as wanted. I just add salt and pepper. I should add that I don't think I've ever tried freezing them this way because they don't last long enough to get into the freezer, but I would think they would freeze well. 

• Like 1

You would need a pressure canner to can them safely. I would also go the dice, roast and freeze route. Can add to soups, burritos, etc.  I would keep some for at least a month in a cool place to eat fresh. We eat them frequently just baked as a side. I'm jealous you have so many.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spirea said:

You would need a pressure canner to can them safely. I would also go the dice, roast and freeze route. Can add to soups, burritos, etc.  I would keep some for at least a month in a cool place to eat fresh. We eat them frequently just baked as a side. I'm jealous you have so many.

Why has it not occurred to me to add roasted diced sweet potatoes to burritos?  Thanks for that idea!

• Like 1

We go through loads of sweet potatoes. I use them in all kinds of recipes and always keep a container of roasted sweet potato in the fridge for snacking, adding to salads, etc. I roast up a big batch for my dogs every week, too. We like Japanese and purple sweet potatoes best.

• Like 1

Mmmmm...well, quite a few would get eaten immediately:

-Sweet potato rounds: cut into 1/2 in slices, drizzle with oil and salt, bake until tender.  At the last few minutes top with chopped pickled jalapenos and cheese.

-Twice baked sweet potatoes with thyme, rosemary, and taleggio or marscapone

-Sweet potato hash

-ravioli with the mixture from the twice baked sweet potatoes.  Serve with a brown-butter & sage sauce or an American alfredo sauce.

After that there'd be about half left, and those would get stored in the cool, dark cupboard and be good for months.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, livetoread said:

I guess I'd do them my favorite way - just bake them whole until they are super soft, sweet and caramelizing - scoop out the insides and then freeze. Then I'd thaw and eat as wanted. I just add salt and pepper. I should add that I don't think I've ever tried freezing them this way because they don't last long enough to get into the freezer, but I would think they would freeze well. 

This is what I do, but I do freeze them. The frozen mashed sweet potatoes defrost to be a bit more watery than the original. The texture changes just slightly, but I think they are still very good. I usually buy a bunch of sweet potatoes when they are on sale around Thanksgiving and do this. I steam them in foil until they are really soft, scoop them out, mash it, and freeze (don't put anything in it like dairy or it might not freeze well).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Annie G said:

Why has it not occurred to me to add roasted diced sweet potatoes to burritos?  Thanks for that idea!

My first thought was burritos!  OMG, it's a game changer with black bean burritos. I can eat that combo until I about burst, it's so good.

Also go nicely in a grain bowl along with chicken, broccoli and whatnot.

I usually bake, cut up (I just cut in half since I'm fairly lazy that way) then freeze. Add to whatever strikes my fancy at the moment.

• Like 1

I have roasted some and mashed them (without any add ins) and froze them. They are fine when you thaw them and you can add in whatever at that time and warm them up (I use a microwave for warming them).

Edited by Bambam

1 hour ago, elroisees said:

I use them in chili in place if the beans! They're delicious. You just peel, cut into cubes, and add during the boiling part. 

Yes, because if the recipe has beans, it isn't a chili.   You make a variation of stew, so of course a potato works well.  

Edited by shawthorne44
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, DreamerGirl said:

Buy a dehydrator

Make chips.

Throw a party

Seriously answer, make hash, cut them up or freeze. Donate some to a food pantry.

But I was not kidding about the dehydrator and veggie chips. Highly recommend. 

I actually started looking at dehydrator options earlier today, as a result of this thread.

I guess I got sidetracked. LOL

Bill