Menu

Dd tested positive for COVID, round 2.

Ginevra

For crying’ out loud. She had it for Christmas when “everybody” had Omicron. Her co-worker tested positive Friday and yesterday she told me she didn’t feel good; took a test and it was negative. This morning she said she felt “like garbage” and took another test. Positive. 

I don’t get it. I really don’t understand how this thing works. She is fully vaxed. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Sad 22

I am so sorry. That really stinks.

I just don't get how this ever ends at this point. If you want to live at any way a normal life ( and yes, that means masking at least some of the time), then you WILL get it. I am just waiting for my lucky number to be called. But there seems to be no way to be immune to this thing at this point. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

I just don't get how this ever ends at this point. If you want to live at any way a normal life ( and yes, that means masking at least some of the time), then you WILL get it. I am just waiting for my lucky number to be called. But there seems to be no way to be immune to this thing at this point. 

I think that too. 

It seems like dumb luck that has kept me from getting it myself at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Quill said:

I think that too. 

It seems like dumb luck that has kept me from getting it myself at this point. 

That's what I'm wondering about myself, too. I work in a school. I mask, but only a handful of people are. I go into stores, masked, but again, most people aren't masking. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Grace Hopper said:

Has there been any improvement in the quality of antibody tests, anyone know?

I wonder about that too. 

5 hours ago, Quill said:

For crying’ out loud. She had it for Christmas when “everybody” had Omicron. Her co-worker tested positive Friday and yesterday she told me she didn’t feel good; took a test and it was negative. This morning she said she felt “like garbage” and took another test. Positive. 

I don’t get it. I really don’t understand how this thing works. She is fully vaxed. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Ok, here's my story. I really don't get how this thing works either.

So, 5 days before we left for our vacation several weeks ago, my DH was exposed. He spent about 20 minutes in a small room with an employee who had some minor symptoms. She had tested negative the day before, but didn't test the day that my DH saw her. The next day she tested again and she was positive. I isolated from DH immediately, but he never got sick and never had a positive test. He tested over and over until he was past the window. We were very happy that he dodged a bullet. 

The night we got home from our vacation, I made my DD21 test because she was going to go visit a friend that has a vulnerable family member. She tested positive. I figured that COVID had finally caught up with us. We had all been VERY exposed because we had been on vacation together-- using one bathroom, eating together, sleeping in close quarters, etc. There was no point in isolating at that point, so we just figured that we would all get it. DD continued to test positive for the next 4 days (obviously we don't know if she would have tested positive earlier than she did). She never had any symptoms. The crazy thing is that DH, DD19, and I never tested positive. We tested ourselves numerous times and it never happened. I am so confused. I don't understand it at all. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, whitestavern said:

I don’t know any unvaxxed people getting very sick from omicron. Not sure how much vaxx is really helping those that get it. Looks to be mostly the elderly dying at this point, both vaxxed and unvaxxed. 

Recent number I saw indicated vaccinated people are currently only very slightly less likely to get the current strain, but unvaccinated people are 12 times more likely to die of it right now. That's a smaller discrepancy than it used to be, but still huge. I do worry about it continuing to mutate to the point that the death rate starts rising again.

Edited by KSera
clarification
  • Like 9
  • Sad 2

People keep saying that the vaccine no longer prevents infection (just prevents likelihood of severe disease), but is that actually true? It seems like maybe it does, just a lot less often.

I'm sorry, Quill. It really does seem like some people are more susceptible and others are less. But then, there's such a randomness about it. Even in the same household it can skip people or get people.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

People keep saying that the vaccine no longer prevents infection (just prevents likelihood of severe disease), but is that actually true? It seems like maybe it does, just a lot less often.

I'm sorry, Quill. It really does seem like some people are more susceptible and others are less. But then, there's such a randomness about it. Even in the same household it can skip people or get people.

I've seen some numbers with the most recent variants (BA2 and later) and it really is looking like it's reducing it just a little right now, whereas even with the original omicron, it was still cutting it in half. On the other hand, vaccinated people seem to test more, so it would be expected that more vaccinated people would have cases discovered, so they may be over represented. I'll share if I come across better data on that.

eta: here's a new study out of Spain, though it was with the omicron lineages at the beginning of the year, but at that point the boosters were reducing infection by around half: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(22)00292-4/fulltext#.Yp1Jwjnjgh4.twitter Definitely booster is essential for reducing chances of infection, but then that fades over time.

Edited by KSera
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, TexasProud said:

It won’t end based on the decisions of individuals unfortunately. I hope that if the governments globally realise having constantly sick citizens is a bad idea they will be motivated to invest in ventilation/air filtration which will reduce the spread in public spaces. 

• Like 6

I work in healthcare where those that are unvaccinated are required to test weekly. We have seen a definite uptick in Covid infection among the fully vaccinated staff members, many of whom have had previous infections (some very recently). 

So far, we have had 0 infections among the unvaccinated staff. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Farrar said:

Yes, I wonder that too. My DD21 caught it (no symptoms; just discovered it through testing). Yet, DH, DD19, and I did not catch it even though we had been sharing a hotel room with her. We couldn't have been more exposed if we tried. I don't understand it. FYI-- both daughters and I are vaxxed and boosted; DH is vaxxed with no booster.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, edelweiss said:

Yes, I wonder that too. My DD21 caught it (no symptoms; just discovered it through testing). Yet, DH, DD19, and I did not catch it even though we had been sharing a hotel room with her. We couldn't have been more exposed if we tried. I don't understand it. FYI-- both daughters and I are vaxxed and boosted; DH is vaxxed with no booster.

And it's also the case that some people just don't get it even when in close quarters. Not because they're immune, just because. That was true even before the vaccine. And it's been becoming more contagious and less deadly over time. So was that just how it happened or did the vaccine prevent him from getting it! Who knows.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, TexasProud said:

I feel this way, too.  I mask everywhere I go, but my husband does not.  He hates grocery pick-up because they give us moldy fruits and vegetables, so he shops in person....  I read an article that said the healthy and vaxxed people still need to worry about long Covid.  

I haven't sought out the studies that show the vaccine is currently helping low-risk people avoid severe disease.  If anyone has anything, I'd be interested to read it.  Also, sometimes "mild" covid doesn't seem that mild if you're down for two weeks and are still contagious beyond that.  

I truly hate this.

@Quill I am so sorry.  Hope she feels better soon!

• Like 1

Did we know the virus was going to keep mutating for years and hanging around for years back when the vaccine first came out? I know it was discussed as a possibility, but I got the impression that most people, including the scientists studying it, really didn't know how it was all going to pan out. So yes, the vaccine was really, really good for the original virus. Since then it has become less helpful in preventing infection, and yes, there was a lot of talk about mutation and what that might look like, but we didn't know how it was going to mutate for sure. Turns out it mutated in a way that made the vaccine less protective against infection. I'm disappointed too because I really wanted to believe that the vaccine was going to do more than it turns out it is capable of, but I don't think it was oversold - we just wanted very much to believe that the virus wouldn't mutate very much and would eventually die down in a year or so like other diseases.

Edited by livetoread
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, BlsdMama said:

My (pro vaccine) pediatrician is very disillusioned about this vaccine.  She feels like it was falsely built up to be more than what panned out.

Tell her she should listen to the TWIV podcast. Might help her understand it better.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

My (pro vaccine) pediatrician is very disillusioned about this vaccine.  She feels like it was falsely built up to be more than what panned out.

It was more media than anything else, I think. I will always believe the messaging was horrible and more focused on convincing people to get vaccinated than anything else.  
And initially there was a lot of hope that it wouldn’t mutate so easily into a more contagious and immune escaping form of the disease, though I think it was assumed eventually it would become less deadly.  
There was some initial hope that reinfections wouldn’t be a thing, too. I was really very sick in April 2020 with presumed Covid and when I was exposed and caught it again that October, even some medical friends were surprised.  Now, of course, we know immunity wanes much sooner than originally hoped and that people are likely to catch Covid multiple times.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

I think there’s been a minority voice for not relying solely on vaccines for a long time but unfortunately they haven’t been listened to. Vaccines suit governments because other than the cost of vaccines there’s minimal impact on the economy unlike other measures and they are much cheaper than re-engineering schools and hospitals. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, livetoread said:

Did we know the virus was going to keep mutating for years and hanging around for years back when the vaccine first came out? I know it was discussed as a possibility, but I got the impression that most people, including the scientists studying it, really didn't know how it was all going to pan out. So yes, the vaccine was really, really good for the original virus. Since then it has become less helpful in preventing infection, and yes, there was a lot of talk about mutation and what that might look like, but we didn't know how it was going to mutate for sure. Turns out it mutated in a way that made the vaccine less protective against infection. I'm disappointed too because I really wanted to believe that the vaccine was going to do more than it turns out it is capable of, but I don't think it was oversold - we just wanted very much to believe that the virus wouldn't mutate very much and would eventually die down in a year or so like other diseases.

I still hope it will die down and fade away, but maybe it never will. Maybe we are stuck with a very contagious illness that persists in people’s lives. 😢 

On 6/5/2022 at 11:40 PM, Farrar said:

Yes, the vaccine does still provide some protection against infection.  Base rate fallacy can make it lseem like it doesn't, but it does.

Current Ontario data, expressed as cases per million population per day:

image.thumb.png.fa6fe2cb78e04d25020c33eaabda90c7.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think there’s been a minority voice for not relying solely on vaccines for a long time but unfortunately they haven’t been listened to. Vaccines suit governments because other than the cost of vaccines there’s minimal impact on the economy unlike other measures and they are much cheaper than re-engineering schools and hospitals. 

Yep.  Though I think that corporations and businesses are figuring out that sick people don't make good workers or good customers.  Air quality mitigation for businesses is gaining some traction here (early days, but real, I think).  The local McDonald's has a CO2 monitor!

• Like 5

You can see that the case data converge in Dec then separate again in January.  That's when 3rd doses became widely available to most adults - I think it's a third dose effect*

ETA*. Converged during Omicron pre-third dose, then separated when third dose uptake increased, is what I was trying to say.

Edited by wathe
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, wathe said:

ETA again: the data for the bar graphs is as of June 6, 2022 for cases, June 5 for hospitalizations.  Very fresh 🙂

Thanks for sharing the data. It would be nice if all locations were sharing that. With the bar graphs, I was trying to figure out how far back it goes. So is that just for the past week, the past month, or is that cumulative since vaccines until today, or what, know what I mean? 

On 6/7/2022 at 1:09 AM, KSera said:

Thanks for sharing the data. It would be nice if all locations were sharing that. With the bar graphs, I was trying to figure out how far back it goes. So is that just for the past week, the past month, or is that cumulative since vaccines until today, or what, know what I mean? 

I read the fine print on the Science Table Dashboard website.  Bar graph is for the past week (7-day average), updated daily.

• Thanks 1

On 6/6/2022 at 7:16 AM, Fritz said:

I work in healthcare where those that are unvaccinated are required to test weekly. We have seen a definite uptick in Covid infection among the fully vaccinated staff members, many of whom have had previous infections (some very recently). 

I escaped covid for 2+ years, unvaccinated, even when vaccinated dh had covid.  Kids in school, sports, activities etc, so not exactly hibernating to avoid it. Dd and I finally got vaccinated this year- 2nd dose 2 months ago, and now we’re both down with covid.  Strange timing that makes you wonder.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, matrips said:

I escaped covid for 2+ years, unvaccinated, even when vaccinated dh had covid.  Kids in school, sports, activities etc, so not exactly hibernating to avoid it. Dd and I finally got vaccinated this year- 2nd dose 2 months ago, and now we’re both down with covid.  Strange timing that makes you wonder.

Makes you wonder about what? Covid is rampant and because it was allowed to continue to go round and round the world unchecked, it has now mutated to evade the vaccines. There’s nothing to wonder about. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scholastica said:

Makes you wonder about what? Covid is rampant and because it was allowed to continue to go round and round the world unchecked, it has now mutated to evade the vaccines. There’s nothing to wonder about. 

I promise I am a mature adult, but it sucks.  It really does.  I've spoken with many who were able to have mild illness only, but even then, it is an additional illness we now need to contend with.  That excludes when it becomes more than mild for many.  😞  I pray treatments and vaccines can continue to improve outcomes.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, scholastica said:

Then it should make one think twice before taking any more of these vaccines that no longer work against the current mutations.

6 minutes ago, Malory said:

Then it should make one think twice before taking any more of these vaccines that no longer work against the current mutations.

It will if the data ever draws that conclusion.  Data is still pretty clear that it significantly improves outcomes.  But if you have some reliable data that indicates otherwise you are welcome to share it.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Malory said:

It sucks they no longer prevent infection, but they still drastically reduce the chances of hospitalization or death, and most people really do want to avoid death (and hospitalization), so its still an easy decision to take a vaccine that will help so much in avoiding that outcome.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, KSera said:

It sucks they no longer prevent infection, but they still drastically reduce the chances of hospitalization or death, and most people really do want to avoid death (and hospitalization), so its still an easy decision to take a vaccine that will help so much in avoiding that outcome.

Well... I think she means anymore boosters.  If that is what  means, then my husband and I share her philosophy.  We have two vaccines and a booster. At this time, we do not believe the 2nd booster will give us protection that will be helpful.  Now if the variants change to be more lethal or they actually get a vaccine that works better, we will change our mind.  But with the present time and situation, we believe we have enough protection. 

• Like 5

On 6/6/2022 at 6:16 AM, Fritz said:

What percentage of your unvaccinated staff have had Covid this year already? They would have some immunity for 3-5 months, so this surge would likely miss them.