Menu

Mid Life Crisis Ideas

NewIma

Looking for ideas to remind me I'm not too old for adventure! Any ideas for people who need to shake things up a bit in a nondestructive way! 😉

Some ideas I've had so far...

Travel somewhere I've always wanted to go

Tattoo or piercing

Take a class or learn something new

Start taking better care of myself (could be diet, exercise, or putting more effort into my appearance)

Girls weekend with friends

• Like 1

Can you go to a seminar, conference or retreat somewhere? I went to a writing conference in a beautiful location a few years back, and it was so invigorating meeting new people. Traveling alone was divine, even though I had forgotten I could do it. There are all sorts of such conferences/retreats for all different interests.

• Like 5

I don't recommend a tattoo or piercing. I've spent a lot of time and money having my tattoos removed. I took the piercings out and now have small scars from them. 

If you really, really love the look of piercings and tattoos, then go for it, but if the only reason is "adventure", you probably won't be happy with them long term. The high from the adventure only lasts a few days and then it's like "oh...here I am with this stupid tattoo and nose ring. What now?"

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I don't recommend a tattoo or piercing. I've spent a lot of time and money having my tattoos removed. I took the piercings out and now have small scars from them. 

If you really, really love the look of piercings and tattoos, then go for it, but if the only reason is "adventure", you probably won't be happy with them long term. The high from the adventure only lasts a few days and then it's like "oh...here I am with this stupid tattoo and nose ring. What now?"

LOL fair point! 

If you want to dig deep, ask "What would I really love to do, but think I can't" or "What would I like to do that I am afraid to?"

From there, look at small steps you can take in the direction that challenges you, and complete one small step at a time. Remember, as long as you're not dead, you can do it!!!

• Like 7

My mini mid-life change/new habits involved improving diet, exercise, changing up the wardrobe a bit, trying some new products, and adding new scents (I discovered niche perfumes). DH and I formed some new habits, too, with more time for hanging out and having fun together. 

• Like 4

Travel is good. So is taking classes. Or taking up a new instrument or sport.

For me, the most important thing was to deeply think about what I wanted to do with the second half of my adult life, (re)discover my passion, and start working on it seriously. 

In my late 40s/early 50s, I resumed rock climbing, took up kayaking, began taking classes towards a possible 2nd degree, and became a poet.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

I have done a lot in the past few years.

i added some pod casts that make me think deeply.

i took up mountain biking….in my case it is mostly riding a mountain bike through easy wooded trails with just a few small hills, but it is fun.

i have taken up hiking and even backpacking.   There is something g powerful about time out on nature and carrying everything you need to survive for a few days on your back.   This weekend 2 friends and I hiked 18 miles on 24 hours and only passed ONE person that entire time….on a holiday weekend.

I started DDPY yoga just over 2 years ago and lost 50 pounds and have kept it off.   Great for strength and balance and so doable and easy to modify has needed.

I am doing a 1000 hours outside and 1000 miles outside challenge.   I completed both last year.  This year I am not as far along but it is still a great challenge…..even do 100 hours or miles and enjoy the memories.

i am trying to connect with people I care about on a more regular basis….from watching my son’s bio brothers boys once a month over night to visiting a 90 year old friend to chatting with overseas friends on line.

I am working on downsizing my house and wardrobe and keeping just what I love and use.  When I need something I am trying to buy stuff I love that is quality and not just something to get by with.  For example 3 pairs of jeans that I love vs 6 pair that are just OK.    And right now my favorites are the Walmart brand so it doesn’t have to be expensive.

i am working on Duolingo to learn more Spanish to be able to even converse a tiny bit with many in my community.

and as to a tattoo….I am wanting to get a very small butterfly one.   

• Like 14

Do what makes you happy and has you feel life.

Things I have done in the past 5 years:

-cut off my hair

-traveled

-learned a new skill (and then another, and another..)

-went back to school

-volunteered

-tried a LOT of new foods (food subscription services are good for this!)

-took up a new exercise

-climbed mountains

-instituted new traditions

-wrote

You just have to find what might bring you joy, even in a little way.

• Like 6

It sounds counterintuitive, but I have also found returning to something from my youth can be invigorating--taking ballet classes again, doing a crochet project that my grandmother taught me as a child, re-reading a novel I enjoyed in my early 20's, cooking my grandmother's cake that I haven't eaten in years...  It can be a way of recapturing joy, remembering what types of things brought happiness before life was so busy, while at the same time providing a reminder of how much I have grown and changed.

• Like 14

Honestly, it doesn't matter what you plan. Life circumstances will prevent it. I used to think empty nest would be such an exciting, adventurous time. No. Taking care of parents with health issues, spouse with health issues, pandemics, hundreds of our children and other innocents being gunned down.  I am tired of fighting for fun and adventure. I am still doing it, but the lighthearted play I thought would be there, just isn't.  Whenever, I relax and do something fun, the other shoe falls. I can never ever let my guard down. 

Make the list. Just know. It won't change anything. 

• Sad 7

Because I don’t know what you like or what you are already doing, I’ll just list things I’ve done lately that seem midlife crisis inspired that have helped me.

-got a part time job

-took up playing a musical instrument (ukulele)

-started lifting weights at a gym ( that I am now a “gym person” is something I never, ever would have guessed even five years ago)

I’d like to do more international travel, ride a hot air balloon, go on a cruise, but these are smaller things that have been possible.

i also find going to a new restaurant and trying something completely new to be a fun mini adventure. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

This sounds like depression talking. I know you've had several tough years, and it's been exceptionally difficult.  Just remember, we all go through rough times in all stages of our lives, but there are good spots, too. I hope easier times are around the corner for you.

As for the OP, it sounds like she is in a good place for making changes, so let's try to encourage  rather than project our own situations into her.

• Like 16

34 minutes ago, TexasProud said:

Honestly, it doesn't matter what you plan. Life circumstances will prevent it. I used to think empty nest would be such an exciting, adventurous time. No. Taking care of parents with health issues, spouse with health issues, pandemics, hundreds of our children and other innocents being gunned down.  I am tired of fighting for fun and adventure. I am still doing it, but the lighthearted play I thought would be there, just isn't.  Whenever, I relax and do something fun, the other shoe falls. I can never ever let my guard down. 

FWIW, I found myself getting thrown some nasty and serious curve balls exactly at a time when I was planning more free time and emotional freedom. I was ready to move on from my intense style of parenting as my kids were late teens, young adults, we were financially set, and my parents were in decent health. Ha. Anyway, I have found it very helpful to explore some Buddhist related views on the fairness of life and radical acceptance. So to answer both TexasProud and Newlma, maybe learning about a different philosophical view of things - a new lens - would hit the spot.

• Like 6

Contemplate divorce.  Seriously.  If the marriage is good, that’s great.  If it isn’t, it’s time to change that.  And if it’s abusive, you are never too old to live free.  It’s also not too late to decide to love each other again.

Plan for your interests just like you do for the kids extracurriculars.

Make your home a haven for you

travel with girlfriends at least once a year at least once state away or further for a week

walk more

swim more (learn scuba diving. I’ve only ever met one scuba diver I didn’t like)

worry less (always a challenge!)

Daily mass is a balm to the soul few in the world can avail themselves of - don’t squander the chance.

Tap into all kinds of feeds to see what’s going on around your town state or wherever. And if it’s something you can do - just go do it.  It doesn’t have to be big to be great fun and good memories. Maybe it’s a tourist site maybe it’s a painting glass. Last month I discovered I can take free stained glass classes locally. Who knew?! 

• Like 3

For me, it’s not about specific experiences but digging deep and rediscovering myself—who I was before marriage and motherhood led me away from my true self. It’s about learning to prioritize *me*, my time and interests and my worth. It’s about putting myself first, a skill we often lose while fulfilling the demands from others. It’s about taking charge of my health, of not asking permission when none is needed, and asserting myself as the grown ass person I am.

• Like 7

I love these threads!   Thanks Newlma for this one!   So many of us are in the same boat and it’s nice to know we aren’t alone.

One thing I’ve done is fostering a dog.  I’m on my second one now.  I’ve always thought it would be a nice thing to do, but never had the chance until now.   The first one I fostered I had for two weeks and then took 1.5 weeks off to have a break.  This one I’ve had for 2 weeks and will probably have another 2 weeks since he needs more work.  After he’s adopted out, I’ll take another break.   I’ve found a rescue I really believe in and it’s been a good fit for us.   It’s even put a little spark in my elderly arthritic beagle, so win-win.  

I’m loving reading everyone’s suggestions! 

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, MEmama said:

For me, it’s not about specific experiences but digging deep and rediscovering myself—who I was before marriage and motherhood led me away from my true self. It’s about learning to prioritize *me*, my time and interests and my worth. It’s about putting myself first, a skill we often lose while fulfilling the demands from others. It’s about taking charge of my health, of not asking permission when none is needed, and asserting myself as the grown ass person I am.

I’m finally at this point, too.   I guess I’ve grown out of the people-pleaser stage and into the I-don’t-give-a-damn stage. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Take up a martial art.

Join your community's CERT team.

If you haven't had pets recently, get one that will be a challenge (but not an impossible challenge).

Make a trip to visit an old friend or relative.

• Like 1

On tattoos.  I got one in my late 20s after researching if I was a good candidate to have it removed.  Yes, I'm very light skinned, so it would work for me.  I got a quarter sized sort of Celtic knot"ish" style in a rusty red (it would fade faster and more completely than black) and located it so it was visible when I wore shorts or a swimsuit, so it wasn't always "on stage." That worked out well.  It faded away like it was never there over about a decade and a half. So it can be a temporary thing for some people and depending on placement, it can be more discrete and easy to cover if you're worried about possible regrets.

Getting a complete makeover/styling that carefully weighs lifestyle, personal tastes, body shape, skin tone, face shape can really give a person a boost.  Now that I lost some extra weight and hit my late 40s, I rebuilt my wardrobe based on those factors and it's been a worthwhile investment. 

Developing a health based lifestyle pays off long term.  It takes a significant amount of time and energy, but again, it's a good investment.

Downsizing and decluttering have given me a lightness I didn't have.  It's freeing and energizing to get rid of things that aren't serving me so that I have room to think about what would serve me.  Decluttering thoughtfully is a process of self-discovery. It really does give much needed clarity at a life transition point. The effect of clutter on the mind is something researchers are just beginning to understand.  I've taken a longer, slower approach really thinking deeply about who I am, where I am, and where I truly want to be as I made changes. It lead to me seeing what I want to do long term, which wasn't anything I would've guessed before I started the process.

• Like 5

Like some of the other posters, I've done a bunch of things in the last few years (more or less since my younger kiddo graduated). 

• I started walking in an intentional/for exercise way. I track my distance and complete various challenges each year. I've also accumulated a few racks full of medals from assorted 5Ks and walked my first 10K a couple of months ago. 
  • I tried Zumba (which I loved but which was distinctly not good for my knees). I'm now slowly incorporating gentle yoga into my routine.
  • I went back to work and clawed my way up from by-the-hour tutoring at a strip mall center to a full-time, lead instructional design position in a growing company.
  • I put purple streaks in my hair.
  • I volunteer more for community organizations.
  • I got a tattoo (although, in my case, that was related to emotional self-care following my mastectomy). 
  • I took/am taking a bunch of classes. Starting in August, I'm returning to graduate school to try and finish my master's degree.

Full transparency: None of these things has done much to alleviate my depression and sense of purposelessness. They pass the time. They give me boxes to check each day. Other than going back to work and changing jobs as I moved up into my current position, none of it really worked to "shake things up" for me. But it doesn't hurt to try.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TexasProud said:

I am tired of fighting for fun and adventure. I am still doing it, but the lighthearted play I thought would be there, just isn't.  Whenever, I relax and do something fun, the other shoe falls. I can never ever let my guard down. 

I just wanted to chime in and let you know you are not alone. I told my counselor last week that I'm just really tired of having to work so hard to perform the part of a functional person. I'm doing all the right things, all the things everyone recommends to make me feel better, but it all just makes me feel tired.

I hope things get better for you soon.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TexasProud said:

I think low expectations are key to happiness.  I have no expectations that what I do will change anything for myself or others. I do them bc I believe they are good or beautiful or right or just and I have to let that be enough of a reason.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

One more thought, as I have wrestled extensively with the midlife issues in the recent past years:

One message middle-aged women are often hearing from media (and the self-help-book industry that thrives on this clientele being miserable) is to delve deep into our psyches to "find" ourselves, spend time journaling and introspecting, discover "purpose" and "meaning". I found that this kept me just in a state of being miserable and depressed. For me, the key to a fulfilled mid-life was to just do the things that bring me joy, without worrying over the meaning and purpose of life. The rest will follow just fine.
I find the culture of excessive navel-gazing to be detrimental to psychological well-being. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 8

4 minutes ago, regentrude said:

One more thought, as I have wrestled extensively with the midlife issues in the recent past years:

One message middle-aged women are often hearing from media (and the self-help-book industry that thrives on this clientele being miserable) is to delve deep into our psyches to "find" ourselves, spend time journaling and introspecting, discover "purpose" and "meaning". I found that this kept me just in a state of being miserable and depressed. For me, the key to a fulfilled mid-life was to just do the things that bring me joy, without worrying over the meaning and purpose of life. The rest will follow just fine.
I find the culture of excessive navel-gazing to be detrimental to psychological well-being. 

Yes, here too. 

I battled depression, and as a result began exercising and eating right for mental health. It was my first line of defense, because journaling and introspection just sent me spiraling. The working out and healthy diet morphed into feeling better, being happier, doing more things that bring me joy, getting outside and doing things, reconnecting with people, learning more, and building a better relationship with DH and our family. All of it resulted in weight loss and fitness, even though those weren’t the initial goals. I needed to *do* more than I needed to *think.*

• Like 7

I haven't read all the replies and don't have suggestions.  BUT I do have an encouraging example.  My mother got her master's in psychiatric nursing (so she could start a new career in teaching), visited Africa 5 times, taught in Vietnam for a month, and went to Venezuela.  All after turning 50.  

• Like 11

6 minutes ago, smfmommy said:

I haven't read all the replies and don't have suggestions.  BUT I do have an encouraging example.  My mother got her master's in psychiatric nursing (so she could start a new career in teaching), visited Africa 5 times, taught in Vietnam for a month, and went to Venezuela.  All after turning 50.  

My aunt got her psych nurse degree sometime in her 50's, too.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Me too.  I think it actually robs people of joy.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NewIma said:

Looking for ideas to remind me I'm not too old for adventure! Any ideas for people who need to shake things up a bit in a nondestructive way! 😉

Some ideas I've had so far...

Travel somewhere I've always wanted to go

Tattoo or piercing

Take a class or learn something new

Start taking better care of myself (could be diet, exercise, or putting more effort into my appearance)

Girls weekend with friends

ALL of these above!  Start a club with friends, make a list, and tick through them monthly or quarterly. Getting other people involved makes sure you DO it and don’t just daydream.  

My personal adventure group has gone snow tubing, have wolf trap tickets to see Trombone Shorty, and are planning to walk the catwalk under the New River Gorge bridge (as soon as the pandemic ends and we can do indoor stuff/travel safely.)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Murphy101 said:

And also we need to be teaching and setting examples with our children that enjoying life or knowing yourself isn’t something to be put off until your 40s. 

This - but also that life after 40/50 is fulfilling, and that parents can have interesting lives that are not an extension of their children's.
Both my adult kids have expressed that they appreciate us modeling that.

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Elona said:

Can you go to a seminar, conference or retreat somewhere? I went to a writing conference in a beautiful location a few years back, and it was so invigorating meeting new people. Traveling alone was divine, even though I had forgotten I could do it. There are all sorts of such conferences/retreats for all different interests.

Love this idea! I used to always go to the VA Homeschoolers Convention in March and it was so inspiring and restorative to me!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Elona said:

If you want to dig deep, ask "What would I really love to do, but think I can't" or "What would I like to do that I am afraid to?"

From there, look at small steps you can take in the direction that challenges you, and complete one small step at a time. Remember, as long as you're not dead, you can do it!!!

LOVE this so much! Thank you!!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spryte said:

My mini mid-life change/new habits involved improving diet, exercise, changing up the wardrobe a bit, trying some new products, and adding new scents (I discovered niche perfumes). DH and I formed some new habits, too, with more time for hanging out and having fun together. 

I've started doing a little of this too! Trying to add some healthier habits, and starting to wear earrings and mascara every day. It feels really nice. Care to share some links for what you mean by niche perfumes! That sounds intriguing!  

• Like 1

I started college in my 40s, more as a response to real crisis (super messy divorce) rather than mid life. A decade later, I'm still in school, getting my PhD in medieval English history. I have no idea what kind of job I'll have when I graduate. It won't be teaching (that was never my goal). I'm toying with some ideas, and now that I have time to breathe this summer, I'm exploring some. I don't necessarily recommend this path, lol. 

In the process of schooling and being able to invest in myself for the first time since I was a teenager has been weird and gratifying. Along the way, I've picked up some other interests: 

• learning languages - most of these are long-term goals, but along the way I've learned Latin and French (albeit badly). I've studied a smattering of Old Norse, Old English, Anglo-Norman French. 
  • Music - I had just bought a guitar when I got divorced then I had to sell it to pay the bills. I recently bought a new one and started again. I also have a keyboard that I use mostly for stress relief playing. 
  • punching bag - it's not set up right now but that has been great for stress relief and cardio. 

Most of my adventures are more for the mind as my budget is small and I have some health issues that limit my outdoor activities. I'm in my mid 50s now and really feel like I'm just living another life. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, MissLemon said:

I'm a little cynical tonight, so maybe I'm being a sour puss, but what do you hope to get out of your "adventure"? And what do you mean by "adventure"?

I think I am looking for a little more joie de vivre. Everything has felt so stagnant for so long and I want to shake things up again. 

15 hours ago, regentrude said:

Travel is good. So is taking classes. Or taking up a new instrument or sport.

For me, the most important thing was to deeply think about what I wanted to do with the second half of my adult life, (re)discover my passion, and start working on it seriously. 

In my late 40s/early 50s, I resumed rock climbing, took up kayaking, began taking classes towards a possible 2nd degree, and became a poet.

How wonderful second half of life adventures! ! I think the question of what I want to do with the second half of my life is  exactly what I'm starting to wrestle with. 

1 minute ago, NewIma said:

How wonderful second half of life adventures! ! I think the question of what I want to do with the second half of my life is  exactly what I'm starting to wrestle with. 

I had a looong thread about this a few years ago. Here's the link, in case you're interested. Lots of folks chimed in with good ideas.

• Like 1