Menu

Grocery prices are stressing me out. Cheap meal ideas, please?

cintinative

4 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I think one of the cheapest ways to get a lot of meat is to buy a big pork shoulder and either slow cook, or pressure cook it.  Once it is falling apart and shreddable, divide into meal-sized portions. 

I was going to say this. We don't eat a lot of pork, but I do make shoulder like this.  I cut into chunks, brown on all sides then instant pot (used to use crock pot). For bbq, I season with our BBQ rub before browning, then add some apple cider and a very little liquid smoke to the pot. Homemade baked beans would be a cheap side. For pork tacos, I do something like this. And are corn tortillas gluten free? Is that an option? That's what we prefer for tacos, and it's cheap to make your own, though not easy unless you have a press.  Eta, homemade pinto beans are a super cheap side, as is pink rice. I saute sound onion, add garlic, then rice and saute altogether, then add water and tomato bullion (in Hispanic section of grocery) and cook normal time. Beans, I saute onion. Celery, green pepper and garlic and add to soaked beans, often add a ham hock and bay leaf oregano and cumin.

Are you going through your pantry and freezers to utilize what you have also?

Do you make frittata? It's like quiche but no crust, just a baked omelette, and you can put anything in. If we have leftover salmon I even put that in, or spinach and veggies or ham, cheese and mushroom. Anything you like. Speaking of leftovers, I often make salmon chowder from leftovers, and you need hardly any fish to make a big pot with potatoes.  My kids love this, it's a white chowder with potatoes and corn. And stew, a little meat goes a long way with potatoes, green beans and carrots and bread (gf?) on the side. I add garbanzo beans or red lentils to chicken curry. 

Edited by Spirea
  • Like 5

We use pork quite a lot as well.  I keep my eye out for sale prices, i can usually get a shoulder for around $1.60, as well as loin roasts.  We'll purchase those whole and then cut them into our own chops, or roast it whole.  It really helps keep our costs down while also keeping my meat-and-potatoes loving DH.

• Like 2

Some meats can be cut up small and "fried" up a little in a skillet with a little bit of oil. That meat can be used for tacos (corn tortillas can be GF I think... ) or seasoning on a vegetable (depending on how much you have). 

Sometimes it's also cheaper to buy a big hunk of meat and break it up yourself. If your family eats enough meat you can look into buying a quarter half or whole animal (pork, lamb, or beef), it can be cheaper overall that way (like slightly more than just buying the same pound in ground beef but you get better cuts as well). The cost varies depending on where you are in the country. The downside is it takes up a lot of space and it's a large amount of money up front. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spirea said:

And are corn tortillas gluten free? Is that an option?

Yes but my husband and DS14 prefer flour, so we usually have both.

That's what we prefer for tacos, and it's cheap to make your own, though not easy unless you have a press.  Eta, homemade pinto beans are a super cheap side, as is pink rice. I saute sound onion, add garlic, then rice and saute altogether, then add water and tomato bullion (in Hispanic section of grocery) and cook normal time. Beans, I saute onion. Celery, green pepper and garlic and add to soaked beans, often add a ham hock and bay leaf oregano and cumin.

Usually boullion has barley so it's a no, but I will look for that.

Are you going through your pantry and freezers to utilize what you have also?

Yes, I have a pretty good stock of meat right now, but it won't last long.  Mostly I have been buying chicken lately because it has been cheaper, and I am putting beef on the menu less. 

Do you make frittata? It's like quiche but no crust, just a baked omelette, and you can put anything in.

I have not made a frittata but I did make quiche last night (with homemade gluten free crust)

I guess I should add at this point that my husband hates seafood.

Also, I am not opposed to potatoes but I can't eat any white potatoes due to allergy.  Sweet potatoes are okay. So I tend to make them as a side rather than mixed into the main dish because then I can still eat.  I might have to try some of the main dishes with potatoes though and just make my own sweet potato side.

I thought of some other helps here:

-a 4 dish meal.  Smaller main, larger sides: a grain/starch, at least one vegetable (hopefully 2), and possibly dessert.

-fat.  One of our favorite dinners is a pork chop on top of a barley mixture with carrots, onion, tarragon, and full fat Greek yogurt.  A cool cucumber salad goes with it.  Obviously the barley won't work in your house, but mixing cheeses in with rice or potatoes/yams goes a long way toward increasing the bulk.

-meatballs.  I do traditional, pork, turkey, falafel...and season them up to go with different dishes.  Think of the inside of a dumpling - the pork can be mixed with ginger, lemongrass, green onion...and cooked as a finite serving and part of a larger meal instead of the centerpiece.

-potatoes.  We eat a lot of them in the winter.  I can make a meatless chili and pair it up with baked potatoes as a "Wendy's meal".

Edited to add: because you don't eat white potatoes...easy bulk side here.  I cut sweet potato rounds about half an inch thick, toss in oil and salt and then bake until tender.  At that point I top with cheese and chopped pickled jalepeno and return to the oven on broil.  When we have tacos or enchiladas, these and black beans are nice sides to cut down on the main dish.

Edited by HomeAgain
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Spirea said:

I don't see barley in this or their chicken or beef boullions, but it does have MSG. I put 1/2 TBS per cup of rice.

Thanks for checking. I went on their website and it says:

Allergens

• May contain cereals containing gluten and their derivatives

It's super hard to find bouillon without gluten. Most of them have malt (which is barley) or malt extract. Sometimes yeast extract is made from barley or wheat. 

3 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Allergens

It's super hard to find bouillon without gluten. Most of them have malt (which is barley) or malt extract. Sometimes yeast extract is made from barley or wheat. 

Do you ever try things like this? "May have" seems like it's just for liability? I have a child with a severe food allergy but it's rare and easy to avoid. I know people with varying degrees of gluten intolerance and wondered if you can do a tolerance test for products or if your family member is too sensitive for that.

1 minute ago, Spirea said:

Do you ever try things like this? "May have" seems like it's just for liability? I have a child with a severe food allergy but it's rare and easy to avoid. I know people with varying degrees of gluten intolerance and wondered if you can do a tolerance test for products or if your family member is too sensitive for that.

Since Celiac is an autoimmune disease, not an allergy, being glutened doesn't always produce outward obvious symptoms. So, unfortunately, even if he is not symptomatic upon eating something that is cross-contaminated, that does not mean that it is not injuring his intestine.  Because of that, I absolutely avoid anything that is labeled "may contain gluten."  The tough thing is that the definition of gluten free is less than 20 ppm so there are probably some things he eats that are gluten-free labeled but may contain very small amounts of gluten.  

In some ways, Celiac is easier than an allergy because I know he won't die of anaphylacsis. In other ways it is more stealthy and frustrating.  

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Spirea said:

Especially if you have cool weather, soups and stews are a good way to stretch meat. You can substitute something for the potatoes. Make soup with rice, make a GF dumpling or spaetzle. My kids love spaetzle and it's very high protein with all the eggs.

Risi e bisi is between soup and risotto. It's  very flexible--I make my recipe with bacon, sweet onion, and no garlic.  Here' s one that's similar. https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/risi_e_bisi_italian_rice_and_peas/ 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Since Celiac is an autoimmune disease, not an allergy, being glutened doesn't always produce outward obvious symptoms. So, unfortunately, even if he is not symptomatic upon eating something that is cross-contaminated, that does not mean that it is not injuring his intestine.  Because of that, I absolutely avoid anything that is labeled "may contain gluten."  The tough thing is that the definition of gluten free is less than 20 ppm so there are probably some things he eats that are gluten-free labeled but may contain very small amounts of gluten.  

In some ways, Celiac is easier than an allergy because I know he won't die of anaphylacsis. In other ways it is more stealthy and frustrating.  

Try finding kosher for Passover bullion. I don't know of any that have gluten and I'm pretty sure they don't even get made in the same lines as gluten containing bullion. It's a little hard to find until the spring but if you find it in a Jewish (kosher) store stock up after Passover.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just commiserating. We can't have any gluten or dairy and DH is allergic to legumes so I can't use beans to stretch anything. Our food bill is crazy, especially since I'm often feeding 6-9 people (most teens/young adults/adults) and I cook GF DF for all of us.

My best advice is to just eat different. Don't try to replace everything with an equivalent. We eat a lot of international foods that are naturally GF like Curries, stir fries, Spanish and Mexican inspired foods, Persian and middle eastern dishes, etc. Eat more rice and also some potato based foods. Lean away from pastas and breads except for the rare occasion. Substituting is what costs you big time because alternatives are pricey.

We buy a large 50# bag of jasmine rice from Sam's. 

The best + cheapest flour alternative for me has been the King Arthur GF flour in the 3 pound bag on Amazon S&S. It is 6.78 on S&S for 3# and that is pretty good for GF and it replaces equally.

https://www.amazon.com/King-Arthur-Flour-Measure-Gluten/dp/B01JJ9H1Q8/ref=sxts_rp_s_a1_0?crid=2YRCWCOEY8EG9&cv_ct_cx=King+Arthur+gluten+free+flour&keywords=King+Arthur+gluten+free+flour&pd_rd_i=B01JJ9H1Q8&pd_rd_r=e9ec5815-b82a-43f1-aacc-8ccdf212da72&pd_rd_w=u327I&pd_rd_wg=E5UTK&pf_rd_p=417cc47b-0c09-4851-92d2-3088b503e056&pf_rd_r=YCR7WK5HBT5W8W97ECFV&psc=1&qid=1641226889&sprefix=king+arthur+gluten+free+flour%2Caps%2C103&sr=1-1-5985efba-8948-4f09-9122-d605505c9d1e

Don't forget that many baked goods are freezable so grab some discount bananas and make a dozen or two of banana muffins and freeze most of them for breakfasts. 

Buy large bags of GF oats on amazon as well. 

Because I believe in local food, outside of grains, I tend to buy veggies fresh at farmer's markets and from farmers. That is my preference though and if you don't have good local sources that are reasonable then use Aldi and Lidl for items you can't use up before they go bad and Sam's/Costco for freshies you use in bigger quantities. 

Edited by Ann.without.an.e
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, cintinative said:

Allergens

I think Goya bouillon is gluten free. Our Walmart has it, Amazon has it, and it’s in most of the mercados around here. It does have yeast extract.

We just use straight up broth these days, so I am not sure how the yeast is derived…haven’t bothered to call customer service on that one.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Spirea said:

Not well educated on gluten intolerance, but wondering if you can make your own GF flours if that's an alternative? I have a mill to grind wheat for bread and foe more nutrients add some red lentils which grind perfectly fine. 

It might not be a terrible idea *if* you were determined to eat a ton of baked goods and your whole family always ate GF. But to me, it just isn't worth it. And that is coming from a mom who (another lifetime ago) used to grind her own wheat and make everything baked from scratch and I even ran the co-op where all the ladies around me got their wheat stashes. I played around with it when we first had to go GF and it wasn't worth it. Usually GF flours are blends so not as simple as just grinding rice, etc. Plus you need to add some stuff to make it hold together better. Over the years the best thing for us (hands down) has been to simply not eat as many bread like products. I think it is also the healthier option as well. Just my 2 cent.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I think Ann is spot on in suggesting you eat differently. GF substitutes are crazy expensive. It’s ok for a rare treat, but a total budget killer to eat that way on the regular. Our grocery budget went down by 1/3 when we cut out 90% of the GF and DF substitutes and just began to eat simply.

The best thing we ever did was shift our thinking around food. Eating different has also opened up our world to some pretty amazing flavors and dishes that are far better than the American standard (IMHO). There are so many international or internationally inspired dishes that are huge winners here. My opinion now is that that the standard western diet can be pretty void of flavor in comparison. đŸ˜‚

We rarely eat sandwiches for lunch. I make extra for leftovers. We have a bowl of curry or Tikka Masala or some chorizo over rice, etc. DD makes a Persian chicken that is to die for. My family thinks we eat far better than most. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Spirea said:

Not well educated on gluten intolerance, but wondering if you can make your own GF flours if that's an alternative? I have a mill to grind wheat for bread and foe more nutrients add some red lentils which grind perfectly fine. 

Yes, I blend my own GF all purpose flour using various flours, some of which I buy from ethnic markets because they are cheaper.  

• Like 2

There is GF pasta (or even spaghetti squash in place of pasta noodles).  You can do a pasta sauce with meat.

My mom did stews a lot.  chili - chicken or beef.  You can use less meat than the recipe says.

I've spoken with eastern europeans, and they'd get three family meals out of a chicken.

dh made goulash soup, and the comment was on how much meat his had in it.  because it has a beef broth base, it tastes more 'meaty'.   Much more than you'd typically find in an eastern european home.

turkey divan (my kids loved it.  even the broccoli.) is a "casserole" that even your celiac kid could eat.  Just use something other than wheat flour to thicken the sauce. Again, you can use chicken, and less meat than called for.

10 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

It might not be a terrible idea *if* you were determined to eat a ton of baked goods and your whole family always ate GF. But to me, it just isn't worth it. And that is coming from a mom who (another lifetime ago) used to grind her own wheat and make everything baked from scratch and I even ran the co-op where all the ladies around me got their wheat stashes. I played around with it when we first had to go GF and it wasn't worth it. Usually GF flours are blends so not as simple as just grinding rice, etc. Plus you need to add some stuff to make it hold together better. Over the years the best thing for us (hands down) has been to simply not eat as many bread like products. I think it is also the healthier option as well. Just my 2 cent.

I was going to next suggest she find a food co-op to buy bulk less expensively.

• Like 2

We like this Stuck Pot Rice without the lentils but it might work for you either way. https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/02/stuck-pot-rice-with-lentils-and-yogurt/

I usually serve it with turkey meatballs but if I wanted to stretch it, I'd prepare the meat the same way as the Dragon Noodle recipe above and mix it in. 

https://www.fancycasual.com/blog/2014/3/28/sesame-spiced-turkey-meatballs-smashed-chickpea-salad

• Thanks 1

If you can, check into buying a half or quarter beef directly from a farm or meat processor.  There are many mom and pop type places that do this!  Saves over half- plus more profitable to the farmer!

I also wanted to say that it's okay to adjust your budget.  I’ve had to increase my budget- prices are so much higher and we eat a lot of food.  You can stretch, tweak, and adjust but sometimes the easier thing is to cut back on something else and add to the grocery budget.  I consider good food the first line of defense against illness.  

• Like 4

My grandmother used to put a plate of cut veggies on the table before every meal. She liked to munch, but it also let everybody be not-starving when they got to the table.  Use whatever is in season, or use fruit, or cheese.  My family likes lots of things with rice, especially stir-fries, or even just buttered rice as a side.  I mix up using white, jasmine or basmati, and brown rice - some go better with certain things and mixing them up makes it feel like you have more variety.  Meals like gumbo have a lot of meat flavor but are lots of broth and rice.  We buy 1/2 cow and pig at a time from local farmers, and have learned to use all sorts of cheap cuts of meat.  Almost anything is shredable if you cook it long enough, and the instapot or crock pot also help.  If you family eats any of the mayo-based salads (chicken salad, tuna salad, etc) those can be stretched with eggs (or you could just do egg salad or deviled eggs) or if you are the sort to like celery, apples, or grapes in those salads that could also be used.  Lots of people have mentioned beans, but also look at peas for variety - black-eyed peas, field peas, etc.  They can be a side or a main dish.  Hoppin' John (peas and rice) is a favorite here.  Our recipe calls for a small amount of bacon for flavor, but it's only a few pieces for a pot of food.  I

• Like 3

Often this time of year I can find hams (and sometimes turkey) at discounted prices.  A ham can go a long way: mixed with scrambled eggs, in fritatas and quiches, with beans, topping for potatoes, in a number of rice based dishes, on salads, made into a sandwich spread, made into ham and pea salad.  I find dicing ham and freezing in small packages to add to a variety of dishes that would otherwise be meatless helpful.  Bacon has seemed to increase in price more than most other meats locally (making it more expensive than a lot of alternatives), and ham can often be used as an alternative.

• Like 1

I have to be gluten, dairy, and rice free. I prefer to not do substitutes and just cook what I can eat. 

I think the best way to save money is to buy at Aldi and Costco. Chicken thighs and legs over breasts; pork roasts over tenderloin, etc.. potatoes, veggies, eggs, oatmeal, salads...  Just keep it simple. 

• Like 3

Flatbreads are one my go tos. I am pretty sure GF flat breads exist.

They are very versatile and can really stretch a meal. 

Kabobs are one of those where you can really get a lot of bang for your buck. We do a lot of them. We do not eat beef or pork, goat is our go to red meat. But we do a lot of chicken and fish kabob. Use a bunch of different spice blends and you have "eat around the world". 

Fish and shrimp. A little goes a long way. 

Tuna patties, salmon patties, smoked salmon and poached eggs are a staple in our house.

Frittatas are another. We load it up with veggies.

Fried rice and stir Frys other staples.

We eat a lot of lentils and beans. 

This is a very versatile dish. I have made it with minced goat, lamb, chicken and turkey and I dump tons of veggies in it everything from peas, carrots, beans, bell peppers, cauliflower, cabbage, eggplant. You can use it as a side dish with rice or flat breads. It really stretches the meal.

https://fullasanegg.org/keema-with-peas-madhur-jaffrey/

We do tons of sheet pan suppers. All of them have small portions of meat and lots of veggies.

We always shop in immigrant stores, the Asian grocery store or the Halal store. There is always a butcher and they will work with you. Pretty much all the meats have some form of bone attached and it is cheaper. They also have whole chicken cut up, uncooked. I use a lot of the interesting parts to make broth along with offal. 

Asian stores have a fish monger you can specify exactly how you want cut and cleaned. These fish have bones and skin but they are really not hard to debone while eating. It could be an adventure or something you learn as a family. but they are cheaper. 

We use smoothies a lot to snack. We use home made yogurt. I make it consistently in the IP. Yogurt adds up if you buy. But it is inexpensive if you make it at home.

One thing I learned to grow was different herbs and we use a ton of them for flavor.

Growing our own salads.

I am a terrible gardener, but the pandemic sort of made me venture into those and after many, many, many plants gave up their lives for me to learn, I am doing it the old fashioned way. 

A side effect is our grocery budget lessened noticeably because we go through a ton of those.

I am not a fan of slaving over a hot stove, but I love versatility, home made, wholesome, simple and  healthy meals. All these are very cheap too. I use a bunch of different spice powder blends and say "cook around the world" and we have theme nights.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, cintinative said:

Allergens

Do you have access to massel products there? I think they do some pretty good gluten free options.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cintinative said:

I had to look it up. No, I don't think I have seen those products here.

They are really good if you’re able to get hold of them. Good flavours. It looks like you might be able to get them through Amazon, as Amazon US is listed as a retail partner. 

• Like 1

Pound for pound, price wise be it rice, different kinds of flour (millet for example), dried beans, lentils, spices are cheaper at immigrant stores. 

Buy dried beans, soak overnight and put it in the instant pot the next day. 30 minutes on the bean button and you have it. Do not buy canned. They are expensive if you use beans often.

Quinoa, couscous can be used in risotto and to bulk up salads. I add beans and veggies to minced meat to really stretch it out.

I look for boned meat, something with skin on, something I can ask to be cleaned by a fishmonger. If you buy it with bones or skin on especially fish it is cheaper. 

Buy an instant pot. It is absolutely worth it for the beans, broth and yogurt alone.

We also make a ton of soup, but as a starter. DH and I are doing Intermittent fasting. We want to eat small meals but dense in calories. Soup is that. Good broth, lots of veggies and some meat. It fills you up.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Pippen said:

We like this Stuck Pot Rice without the lentils but it might work for you either way. https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/02/stuck-pot-rice-with-lentils-and-yogurt/

I usually serve it with turkey meatballs but if I wanted to stretch it, I'd prepare the meat the same way as the Dragon Noodle recipe above and mix it in. 

https://www.fancycasual.com/blog/2014/3/28/sesame-spiced-turkey-meatballs-smashed-chickpea-salad

Looks interesting, going to give it a try

• Like 2

I make a lot of chickpea flour crepes to use as wraps.  We eat them with eggs - cheap, filling, savory, and gf.  You can fill them with anything and there's lots of recipes online for fillings.

Whisk together 1 1/2 cup of chickpea flour,  1 1/4 cup of water, 1/4 tsp salt (optional but tasty: 1/4 tsp curry powder or garlic powder or even just powdered turmeric.) Let it sit for 15 minutes, make thin crepes in a hot oiled or buttered pan - pour in just enough to coat the pan, let it set up and lightly brown about two minutes then flip and cook for another two minutes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Eos said:

I make a lot of chickpea flour crepes to use as wraps.  We eat them with eggs - cheap, filling, savory, and gf.  You can fill them with anything and there's lots of recipes online for fillings.

Whisk together 1 1/2 cup of chickpea flour,  1 1/4 cup of water, 1/4 tsp salt (optional but tasty: 1/4 tsp curry powder or garlic powder or even just powdered turmeric.) Let it sit for 15 minutes, make thin crepes in a hot oiled or buttered pan - pour in just enough to coat the pan, let it set up and lightly brown about two minutes then flip and cook for another two minutes.

Can you freeze these? My husband has made Teff crepes and those are pretty good. 

A local restaurant sells buckwheat crepes (not actually wheat).

I don't use any kind of bouillon. If you have the freezer space, freezing homemade broth works really well. Once in a while, we roast a whole chicken, and then I make broth from the carcass and an onion and water. Or I make this vegetable broth--you could definitely include scraps instead of making it from scratch.

• Like 2

I like flour tortillas better than corn, also, EXCEPT the masa harina corn tortillas that I make myself.  Super simple, just masa harina and water, balance out to a smooth dough like playdough or a little softer, pat out into sheets, cook on a nonstick griddle (the only thing I do with nonstick cooking myself) until nice and hot.  These are so much better than any other tortillas around.

Also, you asked how to cook pork chops.  I don't make them much anymore but I used to brush them with hoisin sauce (in the Asians foods section of the supermarket, in bottles) and broil until done, serve with white rice.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2022 at 7:00 PM, fraidycat said:

Stir fry

Burrito bowls

Chili w/ a little meat and lots of beans, served over rice to make it stretch further. We always had rice with chili growing up, I didn't realize people ate it "straight" until I was an adult.

Pasta w/ meat sauce.

All of the above use meat, but a little can go a longer way when mixed w/veggies, beans, or sauce.

Quoting because I planned to post similar.  You can add very little meat to chili and even the meat eaters think they've scored.  Dress it up with a little shredded cheese, chopped onion and sour cream for garnish.  

Our favorite budget meals are Salmon patties with fried potatoes and sautéed spinach, Kielbasa with sautéed sour kraut and mustard, taco stacks, burrito bowls, tuna salad, Shepherd's pie, Chili with lots of beans served over rice, soup, crockpot fried rice (recipe from Crockpot365), Spaghetti bolognese and salad which can be easily done with brown rice pasta.  Once a week have a clean-out-the-fridge soup day or individual pick-and-choose meals from the available leftovers. My kids love being able to choose weird combinations on those days. 

Rubber chicken, named because it stretches like rubber.  Roast a chicken or two in the oven with root vegetables.  Day 1: Roast chicken and vegetables.  Day 2: Use leftovers to make chicken and rice with a side salad.  Day 3:  Boil the carcass with all of the leftover vegetable scraps and a touch of vinegar to leach the marrow from the bones. Pick the bones clean and turn the homemade chicken stock and chicken bits into a chicken soup. 

If necessary to make a simple meal look better to big eaters add a garnish or pickles to the side.

10 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

There is GF pasta (or even spaghetti squash in place of pasta noodles).  You can do a pasta sauce with meat.

My mom did stews a lot.  chili - chicken or beef.  You can use less meat than the recipe says.

I've spoken with eastern europeans, and they'd get three family meals out of a chicken.

-----SNIP------

4 hours ago, DreamerGirl said:

_____SNIP____

Kabobs are one of those where you can really get a lot of bang for your buck. We do a lot of them. We do not eat beef or pork, goat is our go to red meat. But we do a lot of chicken and fish kabob. Use a bunch of different spice blends and you have "eat around the world". 

Fish and shrimp. A little goes a long way. 

Tuna patties, salmon patties, smoked salmon and poached eggs are a staple in our house.

Frittatas are another. We load it up with veggies.

Fried rice and stir Frys other staples.

____SNIP______

We do tons of sheet pan suppers. All of them have small portions of meat and lots of veggies.

Quoting, because I was going to post similar.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2022 at 1:10 PM, cintinative said:

We have been eating a lot of chicken because I won't pay $5.00/lb for ground beef (where is the shocked face emoji?). 

I did have my husband buy some chuck roast (it was expensive at $4.99/lb on sale, but we need something other than chicken).  

I might have to get over some of my price sensitivity about meat.  

Does anyone have a good pork chop recipe? Pork seems to be less affected by the price hikes.

I've been making brine for pork chops and roasts. 

Chops:  https://www.thekitchn.com/cooking-tip-make-a-quick-brine-for-perfect-pork-chops-cooking-tips-from-the-kitchn-79095

Loin https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/220989/maple-brined-pork-loin/

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cintinative said:

Can you freeze these? My husband has made Teff crepes and those are pretty good. 

A local restaurant sells buckwheat crepes (not actually wheat).

I never have since we just chow them down, but I don't see why you couldn't.  I've also made them with a pinch of baking powder and that can help them release from your pan.

• Like 2

I don't have a lot to add, but I can totally commiserate. Food prices have sky rocketed and I have a husband just diagnosed with diabetes, a dd that has a dairy allergy and eating keto, and a ds with low iron . . . the restrictions make my head spin. Trying to make meat stretch while still eating healthy and meeting everyone's restrictions is ... tricky. A few of our go to meals:

pulled pork: in the crock pot (pork shoulder majorly stretches) we eat sandwiches or nachos. We usually eat on this meal for at least 2 days and a couple of lunches. 

Mexican chicken: 2 chicken breasts, black beans, salsa, corn, cream cheese and shredded cheddar get added after I remove some for my dairy free dd) served over rice or lettuce wraps. We often use it with nachos the next day for lunch.  

Stuffed Pepper casserole: 1lb of ground beef, peppers, cauliflower rice, tomato sauce, mozzarella (I make two separate pans, one with cheese/one without)

Tacos/taco salad-- add black beans to the ground beef to stretch it.

pork chops, green beans, salad

I do soup once a week but I put meat balls in it with beans and veggies, so it is very hearty. 

feeding this crew is an effort! 

Edited by ByGrace3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another way we make cheap pork stretch is with posole. It’s similar to a broth-y chicken tortilla soup but the collagen from the skin/fatty parts of the shoulder add tons of flavor and folks top with their veggies of choice (shredded cabbage, sliced radish, squeeze of lime, cilantro).

• Like 3

This recipe for Crockpot Chicken with Black Beans and Cream Cheese really stretches because it is so filling. I make it with fewer chicken breasts (like 2 large or 3 smaller) and you could add more beans. I shred it  before adding cream cheese to use in tortillas or in hard taco shells. 

https://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-chicken-with-black-beans-cream-cheese-89204

• Like 1

Sorry to gross people, but my grandmother made delicious curries with offal like intestine, tripe, hoof, spleen, brain, liver. All or as many parts of the animal were used. I do not eat that many parts now but my parents and inlaws do as I do not know how to cook them. Even now when you go to a Halal store you can find some interesting parts. I buy them for stock because they are absolutely divine than just bones. I make a  hoof curry which my kids love.

Point I am trying to say is, a lot of cuisines use meat but in small portions and not the big piece of meat. Curries is one of the universal thing and you can serve it up with flatbreads or rice. 

I love to cook around the world and one of the easiest resources I use is 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/curry-recipes

If you spend your money setting up a varied, flavorful pantry of spices and seasonings you can really stretch your money in my experience. We have some form of meat every single day (chicken, fish with goat rarely and also egg a lot ).  But I use it in curries loaded up with veggies. It is a very cheap way of eating. 

This is a holy grail Indian dish served in weddings. It has versions all the way from vegetable to egg, chicken, fish, goat, prawn and I think beef and pork can be made too though I do not eat them. 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/biriyani-recipes

• Like 3

20 hours ago, DreamerGirl said:

Sorry to gross people, but my grandmother made delicious curries with offal like intestine, tripe, hoof, spleen, brain, liver. All or as many parts of the animal were used. I do not eat that many parts now but my parents and inlaws do as I do not know how to cook them. Even now when you go to a Halal store you can find some interesting parts. I buy them for stock because they are absolutely divine than just bones. I make a  hoof curry which my kids love.

Point I am trying to say is, a lot of cuisines use meat but in small portions and not the big piece of meat. Curries is one of the universal thing and you can serve it up with flatbreads or rice. 

I love to cook around the world and one of the easiest resources I use is 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/curry-recipes

If you spend your money setting up a varied, flavorful pantry of spices and seasonings you can really stretch your money in my experience. We have some form of meat every single day (chicken, fish with goat rarely and also egg a lot ).  But I use it in curries loaded up with veggies. It is a very cheap way of eating. 

This is a holy grail Indian dish served in weddings. It has versions all the way from vegetable to egg, chicken, fish, goat, prawn and I think beef and pork can be made too though I do not eat them. 

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/biriyani-recipes

Offal/off-cuts used to be cheap, not so much anymore. When I was sick as a kid, my mom would make oxtail soup (which kinda ended up tasting like a really rich french onion soup. Now oxtails are gourmet. SMH. Same thing with menudo ingredients (tripe, etc.). Grocery stores around me don't even butcher those parts anymore let alone sell them. You have to go to the ethnic markets.

You could possibly call your local grocery store and ask them for soup bones and such. They might be able to set them aside for you for pick up. For another cheap/easy meal, I still really like basic 13 bean soup with a thick slice of bone-in ham. I put the bone part in while it simmers and add the meat part at the end. You can mimic the 'Hambeens' flavor just by adding some liquid smoke to the simmering liquid in addition to the usual all purpose seasoning, garlic, and splash of tomato sauce. That would go a loooong way. The bread eaters could have garlic bread and salad on the side.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

Offal/off-cuts used to be cheap, not so much anymore. When I was sick as a kid, my mom would make oxtail soup (which kinda ended up tasting like a really rich french onion soup. Now oxtails are gourmet. SMH. Same thing with menudo ingredients (tripe, etc.). Grocery stores around me don't even butcher those parts anymore let alone sell them. You have to go to the ethnic markets.

There is a speciality butcher shop near my house which is just a shop in a strip mall. Our neighbors get sausage and other meats including I think wild buffalo and other meat. You can get beef bones for soup there. You are also most likely to get meat with bones in it or a big hunk of meat which they will process for you but at additional cost. One of the things I learned was to get over my aversion to touching raw meat and learn to cut it. I cut even stew meat into pieces depending on the dish. I also cut meat really thin for fajitas or stir Frys or Thai curries especially and slightly thicker for curries. But rarely do I not cut even precut raw meat from the grocery store even if it was first cut by a butcher.

6 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

You could possibly call your local grocery store and ask them for soup bones and such. They might be able to set them aside for you for pick up. For another cheap/easy meal, I still really like basic 13 bean soup with a thick slice of bone-in ham. I put the bone part in while it simmers and add the meat part at the end. You can mimic the 'Hambeens' flavor just by adding some liquid smoke to the simmering liquid in addition to the usual all purpose seasoning, garlic, and splash of tomato sauce. That would go a loooong way. The bread eaters could have garlic bread and salad on the side.

I am not sure which store, but I have seen beef bones in the freezer case in a local grocery store. Perhaps Whole Foods ? But in the Halal store there is an entire freezer case of bones. I always buy bone in because it is cheaper and the curry will be tastier in my view though you cannot make every dish with boned meat. But I cut them myself. As the flavoring you talk about, in my language there is a saying "the smell of meat" in a dish. Pretty much all the meat dishes we grew up with had a variety of vegetables in them. Drumstick, bitter gourd,  eggplant, spinach and/or some sort of bean or lentil other than the usual potato, peas, carrot etc. We were a family of 6, 4 adults so meat was not possible every day so everything was stretched like this. It was extremely flavorful because the vegetable added gave it a flavor of it's own.

I am always friendly with the butcher or the fishmonger and they will toss extra parts at me which I did not buy. For instance many people will not eat the head of the fish. My inlaws and parents know how to debone it. I don't. So I just toss them into a pot a make a stock. I would highly encourage familiarity with a butcher at the grocery store.

• Like 2