Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

2 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

GO MARYLAND!!

Danielle & others -- were you hit hard in the earliest waves of Omicron and rolled through it before us, or did you manage through it better, or something else? 

(Asking on behalf of the NYC metropolitan area)

Hoping ORANGE is the new national trend...

You hit orange when your 7 day average is 25 per 100,000 or less. CT is at 40. Here is a snapshot of who is close. ( and Maryland and DC were the first hit. I follow that area bc it’s where I am from and where I have family. 9EFE23E6-347E-402A-85A8-A449C98C8227.thumb.png.2ee9636c4d85acfa8eaa827dbc464ddf.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spryte said:

We have our tests.

For those of you who haven’t received them, did you receive order confirmations and tracking info? Those emails might have useful info.

3 hours ago, cintinative said:

We got an order confirmation but not tracking information. If we had tracking I would be checking the mailbox regularly but it is hard because we have no idea when they will come.

We received ours some time ago. Only had an order confirmation email but no tracking email. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Ditto said:

We have not received our tests yet.  I did get a confirmation e-mail from the postal service but it didn't have tracking and I have received no further e-mails from them.   Hopefully we receive them soon.

We have not either.  

Edited by freesia

3 hours ago, cintinative said:

Can you explain this: "It is important to consider reinfections in the context of first infections and there is a 90-day delay before people with a first infection can become eligible for reinfection."  why is that? I thought you could have Delta and then get Omicron right after? Or am I wrong?

You are correct, you absolutely can. Until now, UK wasn't counting any new infections in people who had a previous recorded infection--in other words, each person could only count as a "case" one time. Obviously that has led to undercounting. Now they are counting repeat infections if it has been 90 days or more since the previous infection. When they say "become eligible for reinfection" they mean to be counted as a reinfection. That's really odd wording though.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Spryte said:

We have our tests.

For those of you who haven’t received them, did you receive order confirmations and tracking info? Those emails might have useful info.

Unfortunately, ours arrived on a day that was well below freezing and sat in our mailbox till after dark — probably a good 6 or 7 hours. I’m sure they froze. Not sure how effective they will be. 

I just saw article about cold and the tests. For some reason I can't link but it was titled something like "your government Covid tests night not work."

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

I just saw article about cold and the tests. For some reason I can't link but it was titled something like "your government Covid tests night not work."

From what I've read a freeze and thaw is not going to be a significant issue. Repeated cycles of freezing and thawing might make the tests less sensitive, though. @Spryte

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Michigan numbers are falling. About 3300 a day now, population of roughly 9 million. We had been up to 20,000 or more per day.

Numbers are quite low in the county where my youngest goes to college, and bizarrely low on his campus as the vaccination rate is 96% for faculty/staff, and 80% for students, and everyone is wearing KN95's provided by the school. They have announced that commencement will be in person, masks required no exceptions, on Apr. 30, reserved seating with social distancing between groups. The second the announcement went online, I reserved our seats. I am so happy!! They are live streaming as well, and will broadcast on a big screen at the amphitheater for those that want to come, but refuse to mask. It feels like a little bit of hope of being able to do something kind of normal and celebratory. We had been afraid up to this point that his commencement would be a virtual one with just pictures of each senior set to music, and speeches pre-recorded. 

You know you haven't done anything nice for a very long time when you run to your closet as soon as you reserve seats, and start thinking about what to wear! Yes, I have it picked out already, LOL.

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Michigan numbers are falling. About 3300 a day now, population of roughly 9 million. We had been up to 20,000 or more per day.

Numbers are quite low in the county where my youngest goes to college, and bizarrely low on his campus as the vaccination rate is 96% for faculty/staff, and 80% for students, and everyone is wearing KN95's provided by the school. They have announced that commencement will be in person, masks required no exceptions, on Apr. 30, reserved seating with social distancing between groups. The second the announcement went online, I reserved our seats. I am so happy!! They are live streaming as well, and will broadcast on a big screen at the amphitheater for those that want to come, but refuse to mask. It feels like a little bit of hope of being able to do something kind of normal and celebratory. We had been afraid up to this point that his commencement would be a virtual one with just pictures of each senior set to music, and speeches pre-recorded. 

You know you haven't done anything nice for a very long time when you run to your closet as soon as you reserve seats, and start thinking about what to wear! Yes, I have it picked out already, LOL.

I have a college graduate this year too! At this point, the plan is to have it outside. If they have to move it indoors, then seating will be limited. I so hope it will be outdoors and thus will feel relatively normal!

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Covid-19 live updates: California joins growing numbers of states saying mask mandates will end in coming weeks (msn.com)

Ok, how is everyone feeling hearing stuff like this?  I just the last few days was wondering, when am I am going to stop wearing a mask indoors with others?  When is that time? 

I heard it on the radio today. A list of governors in various states who are announcing the lifting of  mandates soon. 

16 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Covid-19 live updates: California joins growing numbers of states saying mask mandates will end in coming weeks (msn.com)

Ok, how is everyone feeling hearing stuff like this?  I just the last few days was wondering, when am I am going to stop wearing a mask indoors with others?  When is that time? 

I'm not feeling good that the decisions are being made before we have met the bench marks. I saw the writing on the wall for this with the recent proliferation of all the "urgency of normal" types getting a lot of press coverage (I have a real issue with that group because they used false and misleading statistics to support their opinions and claims.) I think when we are still coming down from our highest case loads ever is not the time to remove. Hopefully soon after, but not while we are still coming down the backside of the wave. I think it should have waited for kids to have vaccines available as well. As it is, I feel like as soon as case levels get low enough for to feel like I could take my kids to do some things, the masks are going to come off, making it less safe to do so.

eta: And now that I'm reading that the intention is that unvaccinated people will continue to mask, I think it's even more misguided. That's not going to happen. It's well known that unvaccinated people are much more likely to be anti-maskers than vaccinated people, so a rule like that makes no sense. The most cautious will still wear masks, and the people who have never cared two figs about not spreading covid will not.

Edited by KSera
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

16 minutes ago, KSera said:

The most cautious will still wear masks, and the people who have never cared two figs about not spreading covid will not.

Here people who are unwilling to mask are already wearing their mask on their chins or taking them off inside the stores in the past few months. 

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, KSera said:

I'm not feeling good that the decisions are being made before we have met the bench marks. I saw the writing on the wall for this with the recent proliferation of all the "urgency of normal" types getting a lot of press coverage (I have a real issue with that group because they used false and misleading statistics to support their opinions and claims.) I think when we are still coming down from our highest case loads ever is not the time to remove. Hopefully soon after, but not while we are still coming down the backside of the wave. I think it should have waited for kids to have vaccines available as well. As it is, I feel like as soon as case levels get low enough for to feel like I could take my kids to do some things, the masks are going to come off, making it less safe to do so.

eta: And now that I'm reading that the intention is that unvaccinated people will continue to mask, I think it's even more misguided. That's not going to happen. It's well known that unvaccinated people are much more likely to be anti-maskers than vaccinated people, so a rule like that makes no sense. The most cautious will still wear masks, and the people who have never cared two figs about not spreading covid will not.

Isn't this May 2021 all over again?  Sigh.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Did these get posted?  It makes me wonder how many people could have been saved if the Vit D was really pushed early and consistently.  I know I read about it over the past two years, so the knowledge was out there, but not proven. I heard it here and started supplementing very early on. But for many, by the time official and clinical studies come in, it’s often too late. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltnietzel/2022/02/05/new-research-suggests-importance-of-vitamin-d-in-protecting-against-severe-covid-19/amp/

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0263069

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I’ll just hold my breath instead. 

😇

Seriously, though. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

I'm very relieved to see that Oregon is hanging on until the end of March. We have had a statewide mandate since very early on, and with the exception of a couple of weeks last summer (when the CDC stupidly said vaccinated folks could go without), it's been in place the entire time. And at least in my area there is close to 100% compliance. The omicron wave is likely to be over by the end of March, and as long as cases are super low and there aren't any scary new variants by then, I might feel ok without a mask. But I also plan to continue shopping at the least crowded times (usually midweek, and when the store first opens) — that particular pandemic habit is likely to be permanent. It will be interesting to see whether many people start masking again next fall, when flu season starts and covid is likely to be circulating widely again.

• Like 10

There is no timeline in which I can envision myself going in public without a mask or eating indoors. I’m sure the day will come— humans are adaptable, after all (at least 70% or so), but the world is nowhere near the point of being out of the danger zone; the lifting of mandates is short sided and frankly dangerous, just as it was last time it was attempted.

I don’t mind wearing a mask at all though; no part of me understands the fuss. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, MEmama said:

There is no timeline in which I can envision myself going in public without a mask or eating indoors. I’m sure the day will come— humans are adaptable, after all (at least 70% or so), but the world is nowhere near the point of being out of the danger zone; the lifting of mandates is short sided and frankly dangerous, just as it was last time it was attempted.

I don’t mind wearing a mask at all though; no part of me understands the fuss. 🤷‍♀️

That's where I am too.  One of my brothers has long covid liver damage.  He got probably Delta fairly mildly (no hospitalisation) after two jabs (the booster was booked).  I am out and about fairly normally now, but only in situations where I can remain fully masked indoors.

• Like 4
  • Sad 19

1 hour ago, MEmama said:

I always mask but hate it.  I don't go out often so maybe I'm just not used to it but I always get overheated with a mask on (especially an N95) and then get lightheaded/nauseated.  I do better with the isolation masks I get at doctor's offices/hospitals.  I have Adidas cloth masks that aren't too bad but I don't know how protective they are.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

I always mask but hate it.  I don't go out often so maybe I'm just not used to it but I always get overheated with a mask on (especially an N95) and then get lightheaded/nauseated.  I do better with the isolation masks I get at doctor's offices/hospitals.  I have Adidas cloth masks that aren't too bad but I don't know how protective they are.  

What are isolation masks? 

I wear Kn95 and I get lightheaded in them too.   My kids dance in them.  I don't know how they do it. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I wear Kn95 and I get lightheaded in them too.   My kids dance in them.  I don't know how they do it. 

When I go to the hospital or a doctor's office they give me a paper mask to replace my cloth mask and call it an isolation mask so that's what I've always called it.  

Oh, I looked them up - here's a link:  https://www.rehabmart.com/product/medline-yellow-isolation-mask-48795.html

I don't know how your kids dance in them either!  I'd pass out!  

• Like 2

Just now, Kassia said:

When I go to the hospital or a doctor's office they give me a paper mask to replace my cloth mask and call it an isolation mask so that's what I've always called it.  

Oh, I looked them up - here's a link:  https://www.rehabmart.com/product/medline-yellow-isolation-mask-48795.html

I don't know how your kids dance in them either!  I'd pass out!  

I don't know how they do it either.  Maybe it is because they are young and in great shape, and I am the total opposite?  🙂    I am wondering if it is going to be like training at high altitude.  I hope things keep getting better and better so that they can go down to surgical masks. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

This is where I am. We will be traveling out of state for a funeral in the spring and I know the family will be pushing to go to a restaurant to eat and that none of them have ever taken proper precautions beyond having recieved vaccinations and they will attempt to bully us into accepting their "covid is over" mentality.

Their view of proper precautions was wearing  a mask between destinations, then taking it off and hanging it on a "mask rack" then spending hours unmasked, inside, at a social gathering where anyone (literally anyone) was welcome as long as they wore a mask to the door. The most absurd part is that they all drive private vehicles rather than taking public transportation. They really believe that maintaining their social lives and wearing a mask only while going between places was the safe thing to do. Unsurpringly several of them had covid and one of those now permanently on oxygen and they didn't change their behavior.

• Sad 7

12 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I live in a state that's never had a mask mandate (some cities have had/do have them, but not mine). I will say that in my immediate area, most people still mask indoors, and exactly how many is directly correlated to how bad cases are at the moment; it's ranged from maybe 30% when cases are very low to maybe 80% when cases are high.

Last summer we traveled all over the northeast and midwest and were often the only people wearing masks inside unless it was a museum or whatever that was still requiring them.At the time our youngest was still unvaccinated, and I always figured we'd reevaluate once he was vaccinated. But then we got about a day and a half between him being vaccinated and omicron hitting, so we still haven't had a chance to reevaluate. I don't really mind wearing masks inside and I also don't mind not getting sick (with covid or anything else), so I'm in no rush. 

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 4

@SHP those are the people I find most frustrating because they sincerely think they are being careful when they are not.  DH's family is like this - most are elderly and my MIL is immunocompromised.  It really scares me but somehow they have all remained healthy during the whole pandemic as far as I know.  There have been events where I was certain there would be an outbreak but it hasn't happened.  They've been incredibly lucky.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

KN95 masks have been shown in testing to often be harder to breathe in than N95 or KF94. You might try a KF94 for breathability. It really shouldn’t make you lightheaded unless the mask has too much resistance, which some KN95s do. I do find heavy exercise can make me want to get some gulps of nice cold air (I’m only ever outside if I’m exercising in a mask, so I can do that if needed). 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KSera said:

KN95 masks have been shown in testing to often be harder to breathe in than N95 or KF94. You might try a KF94 for breathability. It really shouldn’t make you lightheaded unless the mask has too much resistance, which some KN95s do. I do find heavy exercise can make me want to get some gulps of nice cold air (I’m only ever outside if I’m exercising in a mask, so I can do that if needed). 

I didn't know that about the Kn95 to N95.  Hmm.

They don't all the time. I guess it is from exercising, heat, or something like that.  Most of the time I am outdoors in that situation and I think I am could be more comfortable wearing a surgical masks with the surge going down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow, it is even better today!!!

Let me do my own little happy dance about Wisconsin!

ddda0c62-5519-4383-8ef4-b243b81094f0

Breathing a sigh of some relief here in Michigan knowing that eight weeks from now everyone will be heading outdoors to enjoy spring, fresh air, softball/baseball, track and field, cleaning up their yards, hiking and walking again.

Staring at Alabama with a major glare! Get with it Alabama. We have grandson that needs to resume swim training at the aquatic center. 😬

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 2

J.&J. Pauses Production of Its Covid Vaccine Despite Persistent Need - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

J.&J. quietly paused Covid vaccine production at a key factory, raising concern over whether it can meet commitments to developing nations.

The facility has instead been making an experimental but potentially more profitable vaccine to protect against an unrelated virus.

• Sad 6

The free Covid tests shipping is weird. I placed our order the first day. Later that same day, I placed an order for my son to his apartment. I received confirmation emails for both. This week we received the shipping information only for Ds’ and he received his tests yesterday.  We only live five minutes from each other but we still have not received our tests or shipping information.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Canadian Women's hockey team played an entire Olympic game while wearing respirators 🙂

(They've been widely  reported as having worn n95's.  But, PPE stickler that I am, I feel the need to point out that they were, in fact, pictured wearing KN95s, not N95's)

Makes me feel better about making my kids wear N95's while they play volleyball.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 11

37 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

J.&J. Pauses Production of Its Covid Vaccine Despite Persistent Need - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

J.&J. quietly paused Covid vaccine production at a key factory, raising concern over whether it can meet commitments to developing nations.

The facility has instead been making an experimental but potentially more profitable vaccine to protect against an unrelated virus.

😢

love-actually-christmas.gif

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Not happy. Our state doesn't have a mandate other than transportation and in healthcare facilities. I think removing mandates will make it harder to see family. We don't live near any, so that means overnights to see most of them, and I don't feel comfortable with such close contact if people aren't masking in public. So far, the closest family members have been willing to up their game 10 days or so before seeing us. I am afraid that a big swing in opening things up will make them resistant to being careful. We don't really have the money to stay in hotels, and I don't know that hotels would be safer if there is shared ventilation. 

1 hour ago, KSera said:

I think it makes a huge difference whether I breathe with my nose or my mouth. If I start mouth breathing very much, it makes me hotter and feels harder to breathe. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I think it makes a huge difference whether I breathe with my nose or my mouth. If I start mouth breathing very much, it makes me hotter and feels harder to breathe. 

Thank you - I'll pay more attention to this next time I'm out.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Thank you - I'll pay more attention to this next time I'm out.  

Me too.  I feel so silly figuring things like that out 2 years after I started mask wearing.  Ok then.  I also wondering how temps and humidity play into it.  I would thing the higher the worse time you have.  

• Like 2

MIL just tested positive. This is disappointing—she was just recently very ill (turned into pneumonia, needed IV abx, entered hospice but has since managed to return to her baseline). She’s still on hospice (due to heart issues and dementia). We were sure that illness was Covid, though she tested negative on all the RATs at the time. I guess it’s most likely that she had a different bug at the time, looking back now. 

So far she only has a runny nose. She’s been moved to an isolation room. 

FIL is testing negative so far (they share a room in the nursing home). 

This is the same facility where my mom lives. She and her roomie recently both had Covid, too. There’s been a large outbreak. I’ve lost track of how many there have been since the end of Dec, stopped counting at 46. I see no end in sight to it, honestly.

• Sad 27

19 minutes ago, Kassia said:

@SpryteI'm sorry about MIL and hope FIL is okay.  What an awful situation.  

Thanks. The facility calls and texts twice  weekly to let us know about new cases. There’s always 1 - 3 positives in staff and/or residents (more on bad weeks), and it seems like we are just in a slow burn through the building. I was keeping track, but lost count at some point when my mom was sick. 

They require visitors and staff to mask, and all staff is vaccinated (as are residents), but they will no longer restrict visitors. I just see no way that this steady trickle of positives can end while community transmission is high.

• Sad 8

18 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Well, my state never had a mask mandate except for the very beginning. My university doesn't have a mask mandate. I have to teach in a classroom full of unmasked students. I will keep wearing a mask indoors for a long time, almost certainly until the end of the semester when I am no longer exposed to hordes of people. I might stop masking in small groups of vaccinated and similarly cautious friends, but in public spaces - not until cases are way, way down.  (I never stopped masking at work and in stores)

• Like 10