Menu

URGENT: Hive vs Havenly - design my school room please!

ktgrok

Even though the electrical for the TV is currently along the long wall, I would want that wall for bookshelves and desks. Although it will be an expense to move the electrical for the TV to the shorter wall (where the designer put it), I think it would be worth it to free up the long wall for schoolroom items.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Couch facing wall or couch facing window? I'd want it facing the window. 

Consider the visual weight of the room. Your last drawing has heavy bookcases across from a really light window. The room is imbalanced. Putting them on the map wall (the wall you face when you walk in) creates a focal point and makes the room balanced.

To provide balance to the room, she could paint an accent color on the wall with the windows.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

Even though the electrical for the TV is currently along the long wall, I would want that wall for bookshelves and desks. Although it will be an expense to move the electrical for the TV to the shorter wall (where the designer put it), I think it would be worth it to free up the long wall for schoolroom items.

Extension cords might work for that! Good quality & follow the load guidelines.

20 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

We are going to do both - put the desks on that wall, and wall mount the TV above them, is the decision per DH, lol. 

Just now, amiesmom said:

Yup - the desks I found have a small hutch cubby thing you can get that attaches - we will put it on the right hand side of the desk on the right, and left hand side of the desk on the left, with TV wall mounted centered over the two, if that makes sense?

5 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I agree…..but visually that’s very minimalistic. There’s no place to misplace papers or pencils. There’s no hiding of toys or distractions to look at when Mom is occupied elsewhere. It’s a get in, get your stuff done, everything is visible environment which some people need.

I actually posted that before I clicked on the link, so I was literally just responding to the title.

I am very minimalist to the point where I look at those and think “why would someone need they many glue sticks?” But I agree that reducing clutter is great for distractible kids.  

1 hour ago, Minerva said:

I have a crystal clear picture of your design in my head, and it seems really functional.

I agree with this. I didn't quote the right post, but @Junie's plan is the one that my head came up with as well. I would float the couch in the middle, facing the wall the TV was originally intended to be on.

• Thanks 1

So, didn't make it to Ikea, I ended up driving my DS22 and his friend to a music festival so that they didn't have to worry about driving themselves (they are over 21 and my have alcohol) and parking is expensive and a nightmare. And I'm telling myself that is good, and I'm going to live in the room for a bit. Deep breaths, lol. 

I put this together, using ONLY furniture I already own, for us to use for this next week. That's using my old Hemnes desk, and imagine a daybed where the couch is. 

I do get the floating the couch in the middle thing, but it really makes the space feel tight to do that, at least with the big daybed. Maybe with a narrow futon. So I'll keep thinking but for this week, I'll do this. Once books are unloaded, etc and we use it a bit maybe I'll get a better feel for things. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 8.56.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 8.56.49 PM.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Ok, this is another idea - although I lose the big coffee table to play games at, etc. It does add room for more wall based storage - I threw in another Kallax cube shelf type thing, but could be something else. You can't put the tall bookshelves on that wall though if you have the desks under the window, they block access. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 5.14.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 5.14.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 5.14.54 PM.png

Can the couch face the other way?  I don’t like the back facing the window.  Could you face it toward the wall with the tv?  And then would you have room for a coffee table in front of it?

I’d put the black bookcases next to each other and get more of that tall size for that wall, all next to each other to get the most storage.  Can the other low brown one go next to the other low brown one?  

23 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I do get the floating the couch in the middle thing, but it really makes the space feel tight to do that, at least with the big daybed. Maybe with a narrow futon.

How big is your couch?  Could you trade it out for a loveseat and some beanbag type chairs to keep that middle space more flexible?  

8 hours ago, Idalou said:

I am not understanding the trouble with having a tv. Is it really common for children to give you a hard time about watching it during school work time? Mine aren't angels, but have never done that. I can understand special needs, but does a typical elementary aged kid see a TV near them and expect that to mean play time? 

She also wants them TV for school viewings and kid friendly visits. No way I'd ditch it.

So, I can only speak for myself.  I'm not really telling Katie what to do, just talking about what I'd want.

I've never had a homeschool schoolroom.  I've had a classroom, but when we homeschooled we used all sorts of less than ideal spaces.  And we had spaces with TV's in them, and we made it work.  

But if I fantasize about having a homeschoolroom, one of the things I would like is the ability to walk away from it, close the door, and have it be the way I left it when I returned.  So, if we broke to go to trombone lesson when we were half way through an activity that involved organizing flashcards, then when we came back, the half organized flashcard would still be there.  If the whiteboard had been turned into a graphic organizer to plan something, then it would still be set up that way.  And if, at the end of the day we had sharpened the pencils, and put all the good school markers with all the colors that aren't dried out and the good scissors in the organizer on the shelf where they belong, then I would be guaranteed to be able to grab a pencil or a purple marker the minute I needed it.  

For me, and my kids, that would mean not having the space be a multi use space.  When my youngest kid watches TV, he is busy.  He is the opposite of a couch potato, he's drawing and fidgeting, and bringing in his legos and his action figures and all those things.  It would be really easy for him to think -- oh I can borrow a few sheets of paper from the printer, or I'll just grab this purple marker for a second, and then when we return to school, the purple marker is under the couch, or every sheet of paper is folded into a paper airplane, or the glue stick is used up, and while that's not a disaster, it interrupts the flow of the day.  

The other thing is that when my kids do have the opportunity to choose something to watch (as opposed to say a documentary for school), or a video game to play, I want them in a public space.  That's usually when I'm cooking or something, so I'd want those things to be downstairs.  I don't like TV's or screens in kids bedrooms, and I don't see a room with a closed door upstairs as different.  

Finally, for us there was a very clear ending to the school day. The kids had a list that they needed to work through, and when it was done it was done.  Often times one kid was finished and one kid wasn't.  The kid who was finished had two choices.  They could stay with us and do more school, or they could go to another space and let their brother work undisturbed.  This is our same policy with homework.  If one kid is doing homework, the other kid can do something seated and quiet at the table, or they can go be in another space. They can't stay in the same room as the homework doer and play video games or watch TV.  It's just too distracting. 

So, for me, I wouldn't want a TV in my fantasy schoolroom.  Someone who is less overwhelmed by legos on the floor or more able to keep track of purple markers without a lot of structure might feel differently.  If I wanted one kid to watch a documentary, I'd set them up on a laptop with headphones.  If I wanted the whole family to watch something, then we'd just leave that room, go to the room with the TV and snuggle on the couch.  Now, obviously if you're a family with multiple TV's, then you could have one just for school watching in the school room, and one for family watching in another room.  

But that's all just me saying why I said what I said, not judging Katie.  It sounds like she wants a different kind of room.  Also, it's possible that if I won the lottery, quit my job, and bought a house with a homeschool room, I'd try it my way, hate it, and want a TV after all.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Junie said:

Ok, let's see if I can describe what I'm picturing...

I would put the TV on the wall where it's supposed to go (with the surround sound) with the cubes underneath it.

I would leave the tall bookcases where they are and put the daybed in between them.

I would put the sofa in the middle of the room facing the TV, and then put a large table directly behind the sofa with a couple of chairs also facing the TV.  This would work especially well if they are watching documentaries.  They can sit on the sofa or sit at the table and take notes/do science experiments, or whatever.

I would keep a desk for you in the corner by the stairs, but I would turn it so that the chair is near the wall and not the desk.  This way you will be facing into the room and you won't have the weird overhang of the desk and wall.

This gets my vote 

• Thanks 1

Okay, I'm late to the party and it seems like you've gotten a solution, but just throwing another thing at you. Here's the features:

• Desks pointing out into the room. I originally had the desks lining Wall A, but since that's been discussed at length I'm only attaching a different option. In this example I used the smaller Alex Ikea desks for the kid desks.
    • The good thing about this one is you can sit next to them on the aisle side and move easily from desk to desk. I put your desk (larger Alex version, idk which size you were thinking) in the back. 
    • It also breaks the room from feeling like there's dead space in the middle or that the walls are just plastered with furniture but the middle of the room is empty
  • Wall B I have for bookshelves/storage. You could do either a floor cabinet / wall cabinet combo to achieve a counter-like space (and put your printer, tech stuff on top of the counter) or just do bookshelves. 
  • The daybed/bookshelves on the main window. This seems necessary from what I've read in the later posts lol.
  • Large table for group learning, projects, games. Okay, so with the desks poking out this is a tighter fit BUT is still totally doable especially if you put this closer to the entrance rather than in front of the daybed. In this example I used a ~50"x55" square-ish thing; you could get more walk around space by going with a smaller table or smaller desks, or a round table (probably what I'd recommend). You could also push this table to the side under the small window on Wall C when you want more floorspace. 
  • Thoughts on wall storage. You have beautiful wall possibilities. I know you want a TV, I think above where I put your desk. (I personally loved the projector idea, but that could be more fiddly for common usage). Don't forget display/maps/project board space if you like to have kids work put out or do timelines, etc. I think so long as either Wall A or B uses the full length for storage, you'd be good. I can see maybe the room feeling a bit lopsided if it's only on Wall B, but if Wall A has something, including TV, especially towards the entrance side, I think it would work really well. Optimally I'd have 1-2 wall cabinets on Wall A, also, but still leave room for your TV and map.
  • Seating. Beanbags can be stored on top/in front of the daybed for more casual seating that isn't in the way of school time. Good for cousins and movies, and reading time. It would add an element of fun to the room that is easy to clean up.

I think this accomplishes your main asks to Havenly:

1. Creative space [big table, open floor space]
  2. tv and hangout [TV on wall, daybed for "permanent seating", plus beanbags]
  3. storage for books/equipment/board games [Wall b]
  4. work area for you to sit next to kids [desks pointing out],
  5. space to work together [big table]

Plus your add on requests of 

1. giant printer space and sewing machine storage + other electronics [Wall B if you go with counter-like storage]
  2. space for wall map [above a desk maybe]
  3. space for the daybed for now

Most notably in the Cons list, this does not allow for a new sofa, unless you get rid of the daybed, so your permanent seating is not as much as you were originally imagining or the Havenly person gave you. Another possible Con is that this room does have a "schoolroom vibe" which seems to be something you were trying to not necessarily give. HOWEVER, I think this can be minimized a lot with adding different colors and fun elements like the bean bags, maybe a fun throw rug, decorations, etc. The boxy layout is just a skeleton of furniture, not the entire look of the room.

I do have another layout option that incorporates most of the furnitures/notes I have above, just in a different configuration, that allows more storage space and a more open feel, but doesn't have as much visual interest (to me). I didn't put it here so it wouldn't be confusing when I was listing features, but if you like the furniture choices but not where they are, I can show you the other option. 

eta: also with this much storage, I'd recommend getting doors on as much of the new shelving as you can. It's easier to clean and dust, stuff doesn't fall out as much, stuff is more protected, it will look neater, easier to dust, it can help people from getting distracted, and it's easier to dust. If you don't like the look for full cabinetry and want to see the various colors and shapes of your stuff, you can get glass doors, which will coincidentally make things easier to dust.

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 11.22.47 PM.png

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 2

Okay, here's a totally different option. This one is taking less of a "school room" concept and more of a "meeting grounds" vibe. Features include:

• Creative space/desk. A desk for whoever to use for crafts/projects. Maybe your sewing machine lives here. I used a Malm L-shape desk that has an apparently perfect fit with your wall outcrop but you'd want to check that.
  • Meeting area. You can work with kids 1-on-1 at the round table. Table can be pulled away from the wall when you want 4 people at the table. The circle shape keeps it from being too boxy and is a bit more collaborative.
  • Sofa, approx 6 ft away from the TV for better viewing (TV on wall A), and still giving you room for other things/lounging. and floor space. I'd still suggest a few bean bags since the couch only seats so many people.
  • Your desk in the prime spot. You're the main person using this room, yes? So you should get the prime spot: the window! Drink in that view, baby. I put a printer next to you, or you can center your desk and bask in the glow. You also are kind of in an area where people don't have to walk by you for getting to most stuff in the room.
  • All the storage. Wall B and the majority of Wall A are storage, what more can you want?!
    • I suggest wall cabinets above the creative space and at least the floor cabinets labeled 1 & half of 2. TV is centered with window/couch over cabinets 3 &4. I'd rather push it more to the side of 5 but functionally it just doesn't work as well.
    • The Wall A storage I made so you get a counter top thing going along the top of a bunch of Kallax shelves. You could put crafty things on this "counter" close to the creative desk so that things of the same kind are close by. If your sewing machine doesn't live on the desk proper, it can live here.
    • For the sake of ease, I just used matching Hemnes on Wall B, but this is more of a stand in for general storage.

Cons:

• Sorry, I don't know where your map goes. You can get rid of some wall storage on Wall A.
  • No personal desks for kids. They can have their own shelves for storing stuff, and there's enough seats (creative desk + 2 at round) for everyone to do work in the same room, but if they want a permanent spot all their own, this won't work.
  • How bright is the sun from that window, at what time of day? May be harder to work there without some good blinds.
  • A few awkward corners where the different cabinets meet up along the walls.
  • Your daybed has no place here, unless it becomes the sofa in the middle of the room. 

I've included the 3D look with this room also, but the wall cabinets I'd recommend aren't shown, so please increase the storage in your mind's eye. 

Overall I think this option is functional and inviting and fits the brief you gave Havonly (if not exactly all your later requirements). There's no real barriers to the eye, and while the couch sections the room it isn't something you have to really walk around or that makes an exclusion in the room. The circle table hopefully shouldn't create a hard barrier at the entrance, either. Your shelves along Wall B will be the main focal point of the room probably, followed by the desk/window, both of which would draw you into the room more (as opposed to the focal point being something closer to the entrance). 

(eta: I've made a variation of this that includes the daybed. I don't like it quite as much, with the compromises I made to make it work, but I'll make another post with that later tonight, I just can't get the room builder site to load on this computer so will do when I'm at my desktop)

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 1.10.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 1.11.03 AM.png

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, ktgrok said:

So, didn't make it to Ikea, I ended up driving my DS22 and his friend to a music festival so that they didn't have to worry about driving themselves (they are over 21 and my have alcohol) and parking is expensive and a nightmare. And I'm telling myself that is good, and I'm going to live in the room for a bit. Deep breaths, lol. 

I put this together, using ONLY furniture I already own, for us to use for this next week. That's using my old Hemnes desk, and imagine a daybed where the couch is. 

I do get the floating the couch in the middle thing, but it really makes the space feel tight to do that, at least with the big daybed. Maybe with a narrow futon. So I'll keep thinking but for this week, I'll do this. Once books are unloaded, etc and we use it a bit maybe I'll get a better feel for things. 

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 8.56.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-13 at 8.56.49 PM.png

This is a really good idea. It frequently helps to use a new space for a while before buying new furniture.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Meriwether said:

I did something like this, but ended up filling in the computer area with books. I would do shorter cupboards than these, though, and leave a taller space by the desk and computer areas.

20200606_065553.jpg

This is fantastic! Every inch available for books! Built in desks, but books! Seating area, but books!

The only thing I would change is to put more shallow bookcases in some areas so that the desk spaces are deeper. They can be used for paperbacks or as storage for pencil cups, etc. while you are homeschooling. When the homeschool years are over, then deeper desk spaces can be used as general household desks, for crafting, etc. You could even put bar ware on the more narrow shelves and a refrigerator in one of the leg spaces and use the wider space for ice buckets, to put out a small tray of appetizers, etc.

11 hours ago, Moonhawk said:

Okay, here's a totally different option. This one is taking less of a "school room" concept and more of a "meeting grounds" vibe. Features include:

• Creative space/desk. A desk for whoever to use for crafts/projects. Maybe your sewing machine lives here. I used a Malm L-shape desk that has an apparently perfect fit with your wall outcrop but you'd want to check that.
  • Meeting area. You can work with kids 1-on-1 at the round table. Table can be pulled away from the wall when you want 4 people at the table. The circle shape keeps it from being too boxy and is a bit more collaborative.
  • Sofa, approx 6 ft away from the TV for better viewing (TV on wall A), and still giving you room for other things/lounging. and floor space. I'd still suggest a few bean bags since the couch only seats so many people.
  • Your desk in the prime spot. You're the main person using this room, yes? So you should get the prime spot: the window! Drink in that view, baby. I put a printer next to you, or you can center your desk and bask in the glow. You also are kind of in an area where people don't have to walk by you for getting to most stuff in the room.
  • All the storage. Wall B and the majority of Wall A are storage, what more can you want?!
    • I suggest wall cabinets above the creative space and at least the floor cabinets labeled 1 & half of 2. TV is centered with window/couch over cabinets 3 &4. I'd rather push it more to the side of 5 but functionally it just doesn't work as well.
    • The Wall A storage I made so you get a counter top thing going along the top of a bunch of Kallax shelves. You could put crafty things on this "counter" close to the creative desk so that things of the same kind are close by. If your sewing machine doesn't live on the desk proper, it can live here.
    • For the sake of ease, I just used matching Hemnes on Wall B, but this is more of a stand in for general storage.

Cons:

• Sorry, I don't know where your map goes. You can get rid of some wall storage on Wall A.
  • No personal desks for kids. They can have their own shelves for storing stuff, and there's enough seats (creative desk + 2 at round) for everyone to do work in the same room, but if they want a permanent spot all their own, this won't work.
  • How bright is the sun from that window, at what time of day? May be harder to work there without some good blinds.
  • A few awkward corners where the different cabinets meet up along the walls.
  • Your daybed has no place here, unless it becomes the sofa in the middle of the room. 

I've included the 3D look with this room also, but the wall cabinets I'd recommend aren't shown, so please increase the storage in your mind's eye. 

Overall I think this option is functional and inviting and fits the brief you gave Havonly (if not exactly all your later requirements). There's no real barriers to the eye, and while the couch sections the room it isn't something you have to really walk around or that makes an exclusion in the room. The circle table hopefully shouldn't create a hard barrier at the entrance, either. Your shelves along Wall B will be the main focal point of the room probably, followed by the desk/window, both of which would draw you into the room more (as opposed to the focal point being something closer to the entrance). 

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 1.10.48 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 1.11.03 AM.png

This is a fantastic layout! I wish I had that kind of imagination & spatial awareness.

For the map, instead of getting rid of bookshelves, attach a roll up/pull down map to the ceiling and pull it down during school, put it up when it's not needed or just put it up when access to the shelves behind it is needed. There are several on this page and there are larger maps available other places (Amazon, etsy, etc.). If a roll up wall map isn't in the budget, you can get a roll up window shade and glue the map to that, then attach the window shade to the ceiling.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TechWife said:

This is a fantastic layout! I wish I had that kind of imagination & spatial awareness.

For the map, instead of getting rid of bookshelves, attach a roll up/pull down map to the ceiling and pull it down during school, put it up when it's not needed or just put it up when access to the shelves behind it is needed. There are several on this page and there are larger maps available other places (Amazon, etsy, etc.). If a roll up wall map isn't in the budget, you can get a roll up window shade and glue the map to that, then attach the window shade to the ceiling.

*gasp* or put the roll down map in front of the TV, so t's kind of like a manual screen saver/ reflection blocker/ distraction stopper when you're in school mode, then it can just roll back up and out of the way when it's TV mode. You're a genius!

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 8

Something like this but with multiple spaces. 

Screenshot_20211113-205231_Chrome.jpg

I did something like this, but ended up filling in the computer area with books. I would do shorter cupboards than these, though, and leave a taller space by the desk and computer areas.

20200606_065553.jpg

Ok, so when I said I don't know what I want, I was wrong, I want this, lol!!!!! Basically, that's bottom kitchen cabinets toped by what, bookshelves?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Ok, so when I said I don't know what I want, I was wrong, I want this, lol!!!!! Basically, that's bottom kitchen cabinets toped by what, bookshelves?

Looks like homemade shelves with crown molding attached to the top to make it finished. Seems like it’d be super easy to do, once you buy the bottom cabinets. We made a desk for DH using bottom kitchen cabinets. We put a thick sheet of plywood across the top to tie them together and make the desk surface.  

1 hour ago, Moonhawk said:

*gasp* or put the roll down map in front of the TV, so t's kind of like a manual screen saver/ reflection blocker/ distraction stopper when you're in school mode, then it can just roll back up and out of the way when it's TV mode. You're a genius!

No you're the genius - over the tv is a grand idea!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Yes, lower cabinets with a butcher block countertop and homemade shelving with crown molding. It takes a taller chair, though, so shorter cabinets than these would be easier. We used oak boards and painted them. That drove Mom nuts. But, I didn't want the shelves to sag ever and I hate staining and varnishing. I cut, sanded, and painted during the day. Dh would put a unit together every evening when he got home - the shelves wrap around to the other side of the room.

Edited by Meriwether
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Meriwether said:

Yes, lower cabinets with a butcher block countertop and homemade shelving with crown molding. It takes a taller chair, though, so shorter cabinets than these would be easier. We used oak boards and painted them. That drove Mom nuts. But, I didn't want the shelves to sag ever and I hate staining and varnishing. I cut, sanded, and painted during the day. Dh would put a unit together every evening when he got home - the shelves wrap around to the other side of the room.

I know you can get shorter cabinets - we had an area with them in my old house to designate a cutting area. Interesting. 

Ok, CRAZY idea..... 

See, I do want them to have their own work area, partly because DD11 will get mad if DS9 or DD4 leaves stuff out or it moves into "her" space. But, also so that when I sit down to work with them everything we need is right there. After years of having to search out where the book we need is, or get up and go get it, I would LOVE to sit down and what we need is right there - the workbook, paper, book, map, whatever. It's there. Obviously stuff not used every day doesn't need to be on their work area, but the daily stuff, yeah. 

But, what if we did something like this, one for each of them? Then a big communal table for projects, things where we need more space or are working together? They could sit on the daybed, or sit at whatever chair...is that crazy? The stuff they use daily could be stored on the shelf at the bottom. 

https://amzn.to/2YTIlTi

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

What about something like this (I think a similar idea was posted upthread) https://www.pinterest.com/pin/4785143345550238/ as a natural way of keeping people out of each other's space. 

Or this? https://www.pinterest.com/pin/6685099437353450/

I'm personally not a fan of roller desks. I think they get rolled everywhere, tip over, and lead to stuff getting sprawled everywhere. For me, the key to having everything in a place, not wandering about is to get everything and everyone stationery.  The workbooks stay either in the Trofast system or in a stationery place on a desk. Anything else leads to them wandering into bedrooms, getting shoved under couches, or the like.  ADHD brains just aren't great at putting things back where they belong naturally, so you have to provide a lot of structure to make it work.

FWIW, this pin could have been what our school room looked like back in 2012 when we were still mostly all littles: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/6403624449061957/  When you finished a bin, you put it in color side in, so I knew it was done. I could, at a glance, see where someone was at in their school day.  It was how I could survive schooling a lot of littles who couldn't be pooled together academically.

Right now, this is the setup in a room in our house where people need desks. The Micke offers nice storage. I could see you running a wall of Mickes in your school room.  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/147844800256721064/  The only bad thing about this desk is that the back of it allows stuff to drop through.  We've lost a workbook that way until we realized that could happen. The tray shown in the photo would minimize the sprawl effect.  You can physically block the sprawl.

3 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

What about something like this (I think a similar idea was posted upthread) https://www.pinterest.com/pin/4785143345550238/ as a natural way of keeping people out of each other's space. 

Or this? https://www.pinterest.com/pin/6685099437353450/

I'm personally not a fan of roller desks. I think they get rolled everywhere, tip over, and lead to stuff getting sprawled everywhere. For me, the key to having everything in a place, not wandering about is to get everything and everyone stationery.  The workbooks stay either in the Trofast system or in a stationery place on a desk. Anything else leads to them wandering into bedrooms, getting shoved under couches, or the like.  ADHD brains just aren't great at putting things back where they belong naturally, so you have to provide a lot of structure to make it work.

FWIW, this pin could have been what our school room looked like back in 2012 when we were still mostly all littles: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/6403624449061957/  When you finished a bin, you put it in color side in, so I knew it was done. I could, at a glance, see where someone was at in their school day.  It was how I could survive schooling a lot of littles who couldn't be pooled together academically.

Right now, this is the setup in a room in our house where people need desks. The Micke offers nice storage. I could see you running a wall of Mickes in your school room.  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/147844800256721064/  The only bad thing about this desk is that the back of it allows stuff to drop through.  We've lost a workbook that way until we realized that could happen. The tray shown in the photo would minimize the sprawl effect.  You can physically block the sprawl.

Hmm...good points. Maybe I'll get ONE and if nothing else, use it in my bedroom for me, lol. 

On 11/14/2021 at 3:27 PM, KSera said:

I really like this plan a lot. This would be a super functional room for us. 

I agree, though I could handle only a fraction of the bookcases. The layout and furniture would be a pretty ideal combination for us.

I would probably replace some bookcases with a tall dorm fridge, a place to make coffee/tea, and a place to keep snacks that aren't terribly messy. 

No matter what you choose, houseplants. You have nice windows, and they make things really homey.

You'd probably want an end table for the couch for a lamp and drinks.

I'm weird, but I hate open bookcases in my own home. (I know, crazy!), and walls of tall things make me feel like I'm going to be smothered. I have to strategically place and turn bookcases in my house so that they are not what I see when I enter a room, and I'm not staring straight at them when I'm using the room. Bookcases with doors are less of an issue, even if the doors are glass. Shorter bookcases are also not as big of a deal if the tops stay clear or have decorative items on them (plants, etc.).

Provided the shelves don't rise much higher than hip height, I love the built-in bookcases in Craftsmen houses that have glass doors. They're usually room dividers, flank a fireplace, or wrap into corners. I haven't had to live with any yet, so I could change my mind, but visually, they just look like nice woodwork to me vs. a million and one pieces of individual clutter no matter how neatly they are kept. https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=bookcase craftsmen house&rs=typed&term_meta[]=bookcase|typed&term_meta[]=craftsmen|typed&term_meta[]=house|typed

• Like 1

Did anyone mention a white board?  I use my big one every day- and my 4 year old loves drawing on it.  I'd put a big table and a white board toward the far end, and probably just your desk, not a desk for each kid (mine would just use the table)   if your little one still plays Legos or Calico critters type stuff, I'd include a low table just for her. 

• Like 1

So yesterday was our first real day using that room for school, and we did almost everything sitting on the daybed not at a table, lol. 

DS9 used the table for handwriting and to label his map. DD11 and I sat there for social studies and grammar, but only because it seemed the thing to do. Later we did science and such on the daybed, and DS and I did everything together on the daybed. They do math in their rooms where they can concentrate. 

I will say, having a separate place for each person's STUFF was helpful. At the old house it was all together, and that was not as good. 

• Like 3

omg, got her final design and she DID put in a taller table...by one inch. Sigh. It's a 23 inch high table. For a 9 and 11 yr old. I can't even....

And $150 plus floor pillows. (each). 

No desks other than the one that doesn't actually fit where she put it. But $450 in throw pillows. Daybed got a sheet set, but no cover. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Definitely liked ideas from the hive, and going to see how the space functions and then proceed. 

I am realizing I do like having open space in the middle of the room - the two middles like to run around and be crazy and it gives them room to do it without running into anything, lol. And there is space to do yoga!

• Like 4

On 11/16/2021 at 6:28 AM, ktgrok said:

So yesterday was our first real day using that room for school, and we did almost everything sitting on the daybed not at a table, lol. 

DS9 used the table for handwriting and to label his map. DD11 and I sat there for social studies and grammar, but only because it seemed the thing to do. Later we did science and such on the daybed, and DS and I did everything together on the daybed. They do math in their rooms where they can concentrate. 

I will say, having a separate place for each person's STUFF was helpful. At the old house it was all together, and that was not as good. 

What about 1 slightly larger table (can you get one that could be used as a sewing table as well) and a bigger sofa? Some sort of shelving unit/basket system for each kid's individual stuff. 

We used a kids' table when the kids were super little, and then didn't use a table again until high school. In elementary/middle, we used the living room.

It sounds like they don't need desks as much, at least at this point in their schooling, but personal space for their stuff is desired, so the smaller tables look good. Would they even sit on the floor? If so, then maybe big cool pillows that could just be tossed back on the daybed. Would you prefer a sofa, or does your current day bed suffice for sleeping at night, maybe if friends or cousins sleep over? 

I do like the open middle area, watching kids jump and dive and run around furniture makes me nervous.

You have plenty of wall space for more maps or posters or some floating shelves for their personal treasures or art creations. Greenery on top of the shelves would make the place extra cozy looking. I can see it being a very welcoming room, for both schooling and entertainment.

Edited by Idalou

If all you want is space to corral stuff, why don't you make one bookcase the "School" bookcase and assign each shelf to a child. They can put all their school books, supplies, etc there.  (You could put a basket on each one for corralling supplies and making them easy to transport.

Or one of those Michael's totes that has room for books inside and supplies around the edge.

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Junie said:

I think that the designer is intending the short table to be used by kids sitting on the floor, not on chairs.  So for that kind of work the height makes sense.

No, she included chairs for the table in her design, and in the list of items to buy. 

• Confused 1

So, playing around some more, these are two ideas I'm considering...(and thinking I'll put a table I can use for sewing in my bedroom eventually)

My desk being an Alex desk with two sets of the Alex drawers, one on each end. one of the two would have the drop file storage. In option #1 there is a trash can between my desk and row of 3 kids desks.   Kids get Pahl desks with the add on bookshelf on top. The longer version is big enough for two people to sit at each one, so I can scooch over next to a kid, OR if we have cousins over after school, or friends who want to do stuff, plenty of room. Either a bean bag chair or the small rebounder trampoline next to the printer area. (trampoline is in DD4's room currently and barely fits)

Option #1 also puts the larger/wider Alex drawers across from my desk, with printer on it. Option #2 moves 4 yr olds' desk to the window across from my desk, and puts the printer next to my desk. This option leaves room to add two more of the narrow Alex drawers at (shown), but takes out the beanbag chair. Trash can goes next to 4 yr old's desk (probably wise anyway). 

Microscope, Globe,  maybe a plant, anything too tall to fit on the Hemnes bookshelves goes on top of the 2x4 cube storage on end wall, with bins for odds and ends like microscope slides, beakers, compass, binoculars, some legos probably, etc. That thing above the cube storage is supposed to be the map, not the TV. TV is wall mounted on the wall with the desks. 

Then maybe one of the lift top coffee tables, so that the top lifts to be used at a desk at the daybed. Plus they have storage! 

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 8.08.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 8.08.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 8.08.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 10.17.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 10.18.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 10.18.18 PM.png

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2

Does the add on bookshelf for the kids desk fit under the TV?

For myself I like option 2 better than 1 but for myself I would probably but the parent desk under the TV with a kid on each side and the 3rd kid over by the window.  My kids would never be able to focus working in that close of proximity to a sibling but maybe yours are better than mine about that.

8 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Does the add on bookshelf for the kids desk fit under the TV?

For myself I like option 2 better than 1 but for myself I would probably but the parent desk under the TV with a kid on each side and the 3rd kid over by the window.  My kids would never be able to focus working in that close of proximity to a sibling but maybe yours are better than mine about that.

I did think about that..putting me in the middle. I think I stuck me in the corner by the little wall to hide the mess my desk often is, lol. 

And yes, the bookshelf isn't very high, so fits under the TV. 

• Like 1